Meatloaf

Robert James

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
My wife lived in Canada for many years and used to make meatloaf.

She returned to the UK minus her recipes and allthough she tries the
metaloaf comes out more like a hash.

All the recipes we can find in England, in Internet postings and North
American cook books are for fancy meatloaf, German, Italian, Mexican
stuffed etc. etc.

Seems to be that everybody knows a plain traditional meatloaf recipe
except us, therfore no postings etc.

would any one care to share their favorite meatloaf recipes?

Regards Robert

Brent Charland

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95

Just made one last week. Take a pound or so of hamburger (or use a
mix of ground beef, pork and lamb - your call). Add an egg, about 1
slice of bread crumbled into crumbs, a medium onion chopped, 1 clove
crushed garlic, salt, pepper and a couple of tablespoons of tomato
ketchup. Mix it all together in a bowl and then form into a loaf (I try to
keep the loaf flattish so that it cooks quicker) then pop it into the oven
at about 375 for 45 min to an hour. Can't go wrong. Hope you enjoy.
Cheers,
Brent

Jack and Kay Hartman

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
In <DFBH4...@cix.compulink.co.uk> rob...@cix.compulink.co.uk

("Robert James") writes:

>Seems to be that everybody knows a plain traditional meatloaf recipe
>except us, therfore no postings etc.
>
>would any one care to share their favorite meatloaf recipes?

This is one I want to make but have not yet. There is a restaurant in
L.A. named 72 Market Street. They are famous for (among other things)
their meatloaf. I have never eaten it there because something inside
me just prevents me from ordering meatloaf and mashed potatoes in an
expensive restaurant. Here is chef Leonard Schwartz's recipe as
printed in the book New California Cuisine by Rose Dosti.

Kay

3/4 cup minced onion
3/4 cup minced green onion
1/2 cup minced celery
1/2 cup minced carrot
1/4 cup minced green pepper
1/4 cup minced red pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup catsup
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound lean ground pork
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
Gravy (recipe follows)

Saute the onion, green onion, celery, carrot, green pepper, red pepper,
and garlic in the butter until the vegetables are soft. Remove from
skillet to a large bowl. Add the salt, cayenne, black and white
pepper, cumin, and nutmeg to the vegetable mixture. Stir in the half
and half, catsup, beef, pork, eggs, and bread crumbs. Mix well. Form
into a loaf and place on a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees
for 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Pour off
excess fat. Slice and serve with gravy.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Gravy

4 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
Pinch crushed black pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup veal or beef stock
1 cup chicken stock
Salt, pepper

Saute the shallots in 1 tablespoon butter with the thyme, bay leaf, and
black pepper. Add white wine and simmer over high heat until reduced
to a glaze. Add the veal stock and the chicken stock, and simmer over
high heat until sauce is reduced by one-third to one-half. Stir in
remaining 1 tablepoon butter, and salt and pepper to taste until butter
melts. Discard thyme sprig and bay leaf. Serve with the meat loaf.

Makes 1 cup.

Geri Rapp

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
> My wife lived in Canada for many years and used to make meatloaf.
>>
>> She returned to the UK minus her plain traditional meatloaf recipe
>>care to share their favorite meatloaf recipes?
>>> Regards Robert

Take a pound or so of hamburger (or use a
>mix of ground beef, pork and lamb - your call). Add an egg, about 1
>slice of bread crumbled into crumbs, a medium onion chopped, 1 clove
>crushed garlic, salt, pepper and a couple of tablespoons of tomato
>ketchup. Mix it all together in a bowl and then form into a loaf (I try to
>keep the loaf flattish so that it cooks quicker) then pop it into the oven
>at about 375 for 45 min to an hour.

Righto. This is basically your universal recipe. But, you can use a can
of tomato soup instead of ketchup and also pour a little over the top.
And instead of a slice of bread, try seasoned bread crumbs. Don't pack
in down too tightly before cooking. Just form a nice "loaf" shape. And
have it with mashed potatoes. Make lots -- then use a few of the
500 "left over mashed tato" recipies that have been posted lately!
Hearty appetite.
Geri

Donna

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
In article <DFBH4...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, rob...@cix.compulink.co.uk
says...

Well, my favorite meatloaf is actually made with lean ground turkey.

(I don't measure, so I can't give you the exact measurements!)

I like to keep it as low fat as possible .. so"

I mix ground turkey, add some oat bran (for filler), then mix in some
Prego spaghetti sauce (I guess any would do), chopped onions, chopped
celery (if i have some), canned kidney beans (drained), canned corn
kernels (drained), canned chopped low-sodium tomatoes (drained), little
worcestershire sauce, and italian seasonings.

It always comes out great .. it is low in fat .. has protein (from the
turkey and beans) .. fiber from the beans .. low in sodium .. and it
tastes GREAT!

Donna

Pup K9

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Here is the ingredients I use to make a meatloaf, I am not sure of the
exact amounts.

1 package of "Meatloaf Mixture" ( it contains ground beef, ground pork and
ground veal, it usually weighs about 1 and a half pounds)
1 can of Campbells Golden Mushroom Soup (undiluted)
1 pkg. of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix
2 eggs (large or better)
1-2 T. worcestshire sauce
1 medium onion chopped (opptional)
Fine ground bread crumbs and or quick cooking oatmeal

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients (leaving some of the
undiluted mushroom soup for later). I usually add enough bread crumbs and
or oatmeal just so that the mixture holds together (I prefer my meatloaf
fairly moist). To combine the ingredients thoroughly I use my bare hands
to distribute it evenly. (Making sure to wash my hands very thoroughly
before and after I do the mixing).

Take a 9 x 13" baking pan a line the bottom of the pan with tin foil and
spray with some cooking oil (Pam). Place the meatatloaf mixture into the
pan and shape into a oblong form. Top with the left-over Golden Mushroom
Soup cover with tin foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for
about 1 - 1 1/2 hours (time may vary depending upon the amount of meat
that you use).

You may also shape the meatloaf mixture into smaller oblong forms for
individual servings cooking time will be less of course.

Good Luck,

Joan