SD Cook-in: Chicken Pepperoni

Mimi Hiller

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

I've been intrigued by this since it played a somewhat minor role in a
Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn movie years ago. If you're looking to impress
someone, you couldn't do it better...and or easier. Just be careful that
you don't overcook the chicken. This did well at the cook-in, and I'm
wondering if Debra could be tortured by the enemy looking for
information from her by waving this under her nose...it was a bonding
experience for us.

Chicken Pepperoni

1/2 pound of your favorite pasta

1/2 stick pepperoni*

1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
1/2 teaspoon crushed basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast

olive oil (optional)

16 ounce tomato sauce
1 six-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)

* I used quartered low-fat pepperoni slices without sacrificing the
taste. While I needed to use olive oil to make up for the missing
rendered fat, I did save considerably on cholesterol.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Dice pepperoni into 1/4" cubes. Cook in frying pan over medium
heat, allowing the fat from it to render out. Remove from pan and set
aside.

Season flour with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder and
onion powder.

Cut chicken into bite-sized chunks. Dredge chicken pieces in
seasoned flour until coated. Shake off excess flour and brown in the
rendered pepperoni fat (and olive oil, if needed) until the chicken is
almost cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.

Whisk tomato sauce, tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes and 1/2
cup water together in pan until smooth. Return chicken and pepperoni
to pan. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes.

Serve over a bed of pasta.

Serves 4.

-- Mimi

Mimi Hiller (mi...@cyber-kitchen.com) Visit Mimi's Cyber Kitchen!
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ . The most comprehensive food-related site

on the www! Chosen by HomePC as one of the top 500 on the Web in
their Best of the Web survey (12/97)

Debra Fritz

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998 23:48:56 -0700, Mimi Hiller
<mi...@nospam.cyber-kitchen.com> wrote:

>I've been intrigued by this since it played a somewhat minor role in a
>Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn movie years ago. If you're looking to impress
>someone, you couldn't do it better...and or easier. Just be careful that
>you don't overcook the chicken. This did well at the cook-in, and I'm
>wondering if Debra could be tortured by the enemy looking for
>information from her by waving this under her nose...it was a bonding
>experience for us.

<great recipe snipped>

Shhhhhh...I don't want anyone to know how easy I am:):):)

Mimi & I made a deal (after I humbled myself and begged:):)).. I
brought tri tips to bbq and Mimi made Chicken Pepperoni..It was
fantastic..and it didn't take her very long to make. I managed to
take home the last bit left, and it was just as good yesterday.

Thank you Mimi:):)

Debra
To reply by email, please delete "dd" from my address.