Birthday dinner

Archon

Sep 11, 2001, 2:52:00 AM9/11/01
to Martha Hughes

So Saturday was the big day where I had my cinnamon birthday. I decided
to make a 3 dish dinner (all recipies below):

1. Smoked Salmon Gougeres with cream cheese filling (served on lettuce
and garnished with shrimps and a lemon slice)
2. French Pork Stew with Oranges (with salad)
3. Redwine Glazed Pears with whipped cream

For the girl with PKU:

1. Salad
2. Boiled potatoes with Whiskey Sauce (with salad)
3. Redwine Glazed Pears with whipped cream

Later we had coffee with cookies and a swiss roll with whipped cream,
and of course Bailey's Irish Cream.

And the thanks for spending two days in the kitchen for them was that
they tied me to a street light, poured cold water over me and 4 pounds
of ground cinnamon!

---------------------------
Smoked Salmon Gougere

(Makes about 30 puffs)

The filling is optional, but a nice addition. If you wish, instead of
smoked salmon cream cheese, use plain cream cheese and add finely
chopped smoked salmon to taste.

Gougeres:

1 cup (250 mL) water
1/3 cup (75 mL) butter or shortening
1 teaspoon (5 mL) dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) salt
1/8 teaspoon (.5 mL) cayenne pepper
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1/4 lb. (125 g) smoked salmon, finely diced
1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese

Cream Cheese Filling:

1 tub (250 g) smoked salmon cream cheese or plain cream cheese
1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/4 cup (50 mL) minced fresh dill
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
Smoked salmon (optional)
Fresh dill sprigs

To make gougeres:
Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
In a medium saucepan, combine water, butter, mustard, salt and cayenne
pepper.
Bring mixture to boil. Remove from heat.
Add flour all at once. Stir well until mixture leaves sides of saucepan,
becomes smooth and forms a ball.
Let cool for five minutes.
Using wooden spoon or electric mixer, beat eggs into dough, one at a
time, until completely blended and dough is smooth.
Stir in smoked salmon and Parmesan cheese.
Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 to two
inches (4 to 5 cm) apart (hint: Use two spoons and dip in water each
time). Smooth any points on the rounds.
Bake in a preheated 400 F for about 22 to 25 minutes or until puffed,
golden and firm. Serve immediately or place on wire rack and let cool.

To make filling:
Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill and lemon juice until smooth.

Place the gougere on a letter of lettuce, carve a slot in the top spread
a dollop of filling into the slot and over top of each gougere and
garnish with a small strip of smoked salmon and 4 small shrimps and a
slice of tomato and lemon.

French Pork Stew with Oranges

Ingredients for 4 servings:

500 grams pork cubes (sliced for stews)

Marinade:
3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 Onion, sliced thinly
1 cup Red wine (e.g. Burgundy)
1 cup Water
1 Laurel leaf
2 Cloves

Salt, pepper, and paprika
1 tbsp cooking butter

2 Oranges, peeled and cut into slices
1/2 - 1 Envelope* of saffron (0.072-0,125 gram)

2 tbsp cornstarch

Procedures:
1. Mix all the ingredients of the marinade together.
2. Marinate pork overnight in refrigerator.

3. Remove pork from marinade
4. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
5. Panfry in butter, then add marinade. Simmer for about 1 hour.

6. Add oranges and saffron to the pork stew, cook for about 2 minutes.
7. Stir cornstarch in some water and add to the stew, cook for 2 minutes
8. Garnish with some parsley sprigs (optional).

*) For a 5 times portion, two envelopes are enough.

Whiskey Sauce

100 gram Butter
1 small can of Tomato paste ( About 1/2 - 1 dl )
2 1/2 dl heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon rosemary
2 tablespoon whiskey
A little sugar and pepper

Boil tomato paste and butter. add the rest. Boil at low heat 3 mintutes.

-----------------------------

Redwine Glazed Pears

8 small hard pears with stalk
1 dl Water
2 whole cloves
1 piece Cinnamon (2 inches)
Thin peel of 1 orange
Thin peel of 1 lemon
About 2 dl redwine
About 2 dl Sugar

Peel the pears and remove the flower.
Mix the water, spices, peels of orange and lemon, and redwine.
Boil the pears in this so they are tender at low heat. Remove them and
place them in the serving bowl.
Add sugar to the fluid. Boil without lid until it's thickens a little,
not thick as treacle or caramel. Dillute with redwine if it's too thick.
Filter it and pour over the pears with a spoon. As it cools continue
pouring over pears every once in a while.
Serve with whipped cream.

(The recipe doesn't mention times as they are relative. My pears needed
boiling 35 minutes and the sugar needed boiling more than 30 minutes to
thicken.)

Michael Nielsen Stud. Polyt. in Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg
University

E-Mail: arc...@kom.auc.dk
http://mp3.com/archon2
http://www.archonia.dk

Kaari Jae

Sep 11, 2001, 10:12:21 PM9/11/01
Archon wrote:

> So Saturday was the big day where I had my cinnamon birthday. I decided
> to make a 3 dish dinner (all recipies below):
>
> 1. Smoked Salmon Gougeres with cream cheese filling (served on lettuce
> and garnished with shrimps and a lemon slice)
> 2. French Pork Stew with Oranges (with salad)
> 3. Redwine Glazed Pears with whipped cream
>
> For the girl with PKU:
>
> 1. Salad
> 2. Boiled potatoes with Whiskey Sauce (with salad)
> 3. Redwine Glazed Pears with whipped cream
>
> Later we had coffee with cookies and a swiss roll with whipped cream,
> and of course Bailey's Irish Cream.
>
> And the thanks for spending two days in the kitchen for them was that
> they tied me to a street light, poured cold water over me and 4 pounds
> of ground cinnamon!

snip recipes

Gratulerar! Congratulations for the 25th? Didn't know about the cinnamon
though, is it regional or national?
Kaari

> --
> Michael Nielsen Stud. Polyt. in Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg
> University
>
> E-Mail: arc...@kom.auc.dk
> http://mp3.com/archon2
> http://www.archonia.dk

Please remove Seattle before replying. Thank you!!!

"What my mother believed about cooking is that if you worked hard
and prospered, someone else would do it for you."
Nora Ephron

Archon

Sep 12, 2001, 2:25:01 AM9/12/01

> > And the thanks for spending two days in the kitchen for them was that
> > they tied me to a street light, poured cold water over me and 4 pounds
> > of ground cinnamon!
> >
> snip recipes
>
> Gratulerar! Congratulations for the 25th? Didn't know about the cinnamon
> though, is it regional or national?
> Kaari

The cinnamon tradition is national - unmarried at 25 = cinnamon and at
30 it's pepper.

Kaari Jae

Sep 13, 2001, 2:01:30 AM9/13/01
Archon wrote:

> > > And the thanks for spending two days in the kitchen for them was that
> > > they tied me to a street light, poured cold water over me and 4 pounds
> > > of ground cinnamon!
> > >
> > snip recipes
> >
> > Gratulerar! Congratulations for the 25th? Didn't know about the cinnamon
> > though, is it regional or national?
> > Kaari
>
> The cinnamon tradition is national - unmarried at 25 = cinnamon and at
> 30 it's pepper.

WElll, now you'll have a nearly 5 more years to live as a carefree
single before you'll have to learn how to spice your life appropriately
:)
Kaari

> --
> Michael Nielsen Stud. Polyt. in Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg
> University
>
> E-Mail: arc...@kom.auc.dk
> http://mp3.com/archon2
> http://www.archonia.dk

Archon

Sep 13, 2001, 3:44:05 AM9/13/01

> WElll, now you'll have a nearly 5 more years to live as a carefree
> single before you'll have to learn how to spice your life appropriately
> :)

Unless I'll live as a carefree half couple :)