A Humble Request: BBQ Favourites

Sean Yo

Oct 15, 2002, 11:08:25β€―AM10/15/02
Greetings,

My wife and I are soon to be moving into our first home. This is
particularly sweet, since it means we will once again have a Barbecue.
(yay!) Having been in an apartment for the last two years, fire code has
prevented us from using a barbecue at our place.

While we've attempted to fill this terrible void in our lives with an
indoor electric grill (useful, but just not the same) and visiting
friends and family and shamelessly using them for their BBQ ;)(too far
away <sigh> and very inconvenient for a grilled midnight snack <grin>),
we haven't been able to escape the pain of our awful deprivation...

So, with a new BBQ about to be ordered (final deliberations for the
successful incumbent are underway) we are excitedly planning a festival
of grilling to celebrate our triumphant return to the world of barbecuing.

To further this noble goal, I humbly request the benefit of your
epicurean wisdom and pray that you deign to provide us with the
generosity of sharing your favourite BBQ recipes...while I have many of
my own, they tend to be fairly standard, and I lack a good rib recipe.
Moreover, I am toying with the idea of trying to live on just BBQ food
for an entire week, so intriguing, non-traditional BBQ recipes are
welcome, even encouraged (especially breakfast and dessert ideas). (No
side burner will be available - so that rather limits the range of my
"BBQ Only" Decree ;))

My current favourite BBQ dish is a simple roasted veggies dish (bell
peppers, mushroom and red onion) marinated with garlic, balsamic vinegar
and some salt, cooked in a black porecelain grill top wok although I'm
sure any sort of grill top pan can work...

http://www.bbqguys.com/toppers.asp

Also, Bob Blumer (The "Surreal Gourmet on FoodTv Canada) has some
fantastic recipes for pizza on the barbecue which I've been dying to try
since I saw the episode several months ago:

http://foodtv.ca/tv/shows/titledetails/title_44187.asp

I'm interested in trying out some traditional pizza combinations first -
his tastes are a little eccentric for me. I'd like to get some
experience with grilling famliar pizzas, before I venture off in to the
brave wilds of "Pesto, Roasted Corn And Brie Cheese Pizza " and "Fig And
Goat's Cheese Dessert Pizza With Port Reduction". <grin>

The temperature is starting to flirt with zero degree centigrade here in
Southern Ontario...I can't wait to warm myself with the barbecue full of
grilling food.

Thanks for anything you care to share...

Cheers
Sean

PENMART01

Oct 15, 2002, 1:49:20β€―PM10/15/02
Sean Yo writes:

>My wife and I are soon to be moving into our first home. This is
>particularly sweet, since it means we will once again have a Barbecue.

Do you mean Barbecue or Grill?

Sheldon . . . Rocket Scientist
````````````

Jack Curry

Oct 15, 2002, 2:30:37β€―PM10/15/02

Sean,
There's a good newsgroup (alt.food.barbecue) that's a good place to post
your request for barbecue recipes. I'm sure you'll get some here on rfc,
but afb is really the right place for "Q" talk.
Jack

BOB

Oct 15, 2002, 4:05:07β€―PM10/15/02

"Jack Curry" <jack...@nos.cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

> Sean Yo wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > My wife and I are soon to be moving into our first home. This is
> > particularly sweet, since it means we will once again have a Barbecue.
> > (yay!) Having been in an apartment for the last two years, fire code
> > has prevented us from using a barbecue at our place.

Begin your education here:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
Be sure to note that Barbecue is the process or the finished product, the appliance is the grill or
the cooker.

BOB

Cuchulain Libby

Oct 15, 2002, 5:57:57β€―PM10/15/02
"Sean Yo" <s...@uoguelph.ca> wrote in message

> Greetings,
>
> My wife and I are soon to be moving into our first home. This is
> particularly sweet, since it means we will once again have a Barbecue.
> (yay!)
> The temperature is starting to flirt with zero degree centigrade here in
> Southern Ontario...I can't wait to warm myself with the barbecue full of
> grilling food.

The best tool for either barbecue or grilling in the Frozen Tundra is (I
*can't* believe I'm admitting this) a Kamado www.kamado.com . It will do an
unattended Boston Butt for 14 hours @225 dF or a steak @ 750 dF. It's made
of thick ceramic so the ambient temps don't affect it. Too bad you can't get
brisket up there.

-Hound whose goose'll be cooked if afb ever reads about this...<g>

Dave Bugg

Oct 15, 2002, 6:17:23β€―PM10/15/02
Cuchulain Libby <ctl...@stic.net> wrote:

> The best tool for either barbecue or grilling in the Frozen Tundra is
> (I *can't* believe I'm admitting this) a Kamado www.kamado.com . It
> will do an unattended Boston Butt for 14 hours @225 dF or a steak @
> 750 dF. It's made of thick ceramic so the ambient temps don't affect
> it. Too bad you can't get brisket up there.
>
> -Hound whose goose'll be cooked if afb ever reads about this...<g>

<G> I'll never tell :-)
--
Dave
remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

BOB

Oct 15, 2002, 6:57:12β€―PM10/15/02

"Cuchulain Libby" <ctl...@stic.net> wrote in message

> -Hound whose goose'll be cooked if afb ever reads about this...<g>

!!!

Hag & Stenni

Oct 15, 2002, 6:44:34β€―PM10/15/02
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:08:25 -0400, Sean Yo
<s...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>My wife and I are soon to be moving into our first home. This is
>particularly sweet, since it means we will once again have a Barbecue.
>(yay!) Having been in an apartment for the last two years, fire code has
>prevented us from using a barbecue at our place.

snip

>To further this noble goal, I humbly request the benefit of your
>epicurean wisdom and pray that you deign to provide us with the
>generosity of sharing your favourite BBQ recipes...while I have many of
>my own, they tend to be fairly standard, and I lack a good rib recipe.
>Moreover, I am toying with the idea of trying to live on just BBQ food
>for an entire week, so intriguing, non-traditional BBQ recipes are
>welcome, even encouraged (especially breakfast and dessert ideas). (No
>side burner will be available - so that rather limits the range of my
>"BBQ Only" Decree ;))

snip

>Thanks for anything you care to share...
>
>Cheers
>Sean

Perhaps I just missed it, but Gas or charcoal? and are you
talking the simple grilling of some food, or that life
obscuring fixation that is BBQ...chuckle...Im sure folks can
be more forthcomming w/ recs if theres a bit more info...
Hag k

The answer to the "men only want to protect women" spiel is in a great quote
by Dr. Mary Edwards Walker Civil War Medal of Honor recipient - "You men are
not our protectors... If you were, who would there be to protect us from?"

pull a Loraine Bobbit (cut off waynespenis) to reply...

Harry Demidavicius

Oct 16, 2002, 1:36:34β€―AM10/16/02

Jayzuss Cuch - I'm going to have to tell your Momma on you now
....... You've "outed".

Harry

Sean Yo

Oct 16, 2002, 9:48:45β€―AM10/16/02

Hag & Stenni wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:08:25 -0400, Sean Yo
> <s...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>My wife and I are soon to be moving into our first home. This is
>>particularly sweet, since it means we will once again have a Barbecue.
>>(yay!) Having been in an apartment for the last two years, fire code has
>>prevented us from using a barbecue at our place.
>>

> snip
>
>>To further this noble goal, I humbly request the benefit of your
>>epicurean wisdom and pray that you deign to provide us with the
>>generosity of sharing your favourite BBQ recipes...
>

> snip
>
>>Thanks for anything you care to share...
>>
>>Cheers
>>Sean
>

> Perhaps I just missed it, but Gas or charcoal? and are you
> talking the simple grilling of some food, or that life
> obscuring fixation that is BBQ...chuckle...Im sure folks can
> be more forthcomming w/ recs if theres a bit more info...
> Hag k

Well, up until about 2pm yesterday, I was an unenlightened heathen, who
didn't bother to differentiate between the two, as my message clearly
demonstrates <grin> However, I've now been shown the clear and
unmistakable difference between the two and never again shall I be so
cavalier in my reference to outdoor cooking appliances. <grin>

I am talking of a simple gas grill. Although having waded into the BBQ
FAQ, I am am certain it is only a matter of time until I am lured in to
at least experimenting with the the slow, smoky, indirect arts of BBQ.
;) But for now (at least) I'll be sticking to a gas grill.

Thanks for the nudge Hag...I'm new to afc - I'm certainly learning as
I'm going <grin>

Cheers
Sean

Jeanette S.

Oct 16, 2002, 12:09:19β€―PM10/16/02
If you like steak, (and who doesn't) take a bottle of Italian dressing,
pour over steak and marinate for a couple of hours, slap that steak on
the grill and grill to your taste. Perfection! Jeanette

rosie readandpost

Oct 16, 2002, 12:19:11β€―PM10/16/02

> If you like steak, (and who doesn't) take a bottle of Italian dressing,
> pour over steak and marinate for a couple of hours, slap that steak on
> the grill and grill to your taste.

but please use a CHEAP cut of steak, if your going to marinate it!

Nancy Young

Oct 16, 2002, 12:39:30β€―PM10/16/02
rosie readandpost wrote:

> (someone wrote):

I haven't had that in ages, but my ex made londen broil like that.

I marinate flank steak, and that's not cheap for sure.

nancy

Jeanette S.

Oct 16, 2002, 1:22:54β€―PM10/16/02
Right Nancy, flank steak isn'tcheap. I do sirloin like that also.
Cheap cuts of meat lend themselves more to braising and simmering in a
liquid, mot to grilling. Jeanette

n_cr...@spampacbell.net

Oct 16, 2002, 4:29:16β€―PM10/16/02
"Cuchulain Libby" <ctl...@stic.net> wrote:
> [damning testimony snipped]

> -Hound whose goose'll be cooked if afb ever reads about this...<g>

I'll never tell! ;~J

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

Hag & Stenni

Oct 17, 2002, 7:10:14β€―PM10/17/02
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:48:45 -0400, Sean Yo
<s...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

Well Welcome and enjoy the group, heres a few recs. These
are all pretty tastey, I tend to brine most of my pork and
chicken anymore though its not necessary (specialy if you
can get some good pork or chicken) it really helps both out
in flavor, juiceyness, makes them much more forgiving. I
also pound things like chicken breasts/thighs or cutlets to
an even thickness, they will cook more quickly and evenly.
Hope these are helpfull and enjoyable...Hag k

Basic brine for chicken or poultry

2 cups water
1 Tbsp Kosher salt (or 2 tsp table)
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp acent (Msg)
1/8 tsp granulated garlic (1/8 to 1/16)
tiney pinch of poultry seasoning

Combine all and mix well. Soak poultry or pork products to
season and make juicy. Large items- whole turkey, pork roast
soak for up to 3 days, med items 24 hours, small items like
chicken breasts or pork cutlets soak for 6-12 hours. I brine
almost all my chicken and pork anymore...Makes a wonderful
difference.

Burbon glaze
From Top Secret Recipes, adapted by Hag

2 tsp roasted garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup water
1 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons minced white onion
1 tablespoon burbon

Combine water, pineappl juice, teriyaki, soy, sugar in pan
and simmer over med/high heat stiring as needed. Add roasted
garlic and whisk. Add remaining stuff. simmer stiring for
about 1 hour or until sauce is thick and syrupy...makes
about 1 cup. Wonderful on chicken or pork

Chicken glazed w/ orange and garlic
By Hag

4 chicken breasts brined and pounded
1 chicken bullion cube crushed
1 Tbsp corn starch
3 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves garlic finely threaded
3 Tbsp white vinegar
1/4 c water
1/4 c orange juice

Combine all ingrediants except the chicken. Mix well and
bring to a boil on the stove stiring comstantly to thicken,
set aside. Grill chicken breasts and brush w/ glaze during
the last few mins/turns. The sauce will burn if you put it
on too soon, but you do want it to get some
heat/carmalization going on.

Chicken Satay
By Hag

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce (japanese)
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon coriander, fresh ground
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dry minced garlic or 2 cloves fresh
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs

mix ingredients well until honey is dissolved. cut chicken
thighs into ΕΎ inch cubes or long strips. Marinade overnight.
Put meat on skewers and grill. This is also nice on whole
thrighs or breasts marinated and grilled, though it seems to
work best on the dark meat...Served at the Chicago Cook-In,
picts available on Dams website...

Hickory Chicken Marinade
By Hag

1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon barrons garlic pepper
1/4 teaspoon msg
1/4 teaspoon magi seasoning or soy
1/8-1/4 teaspoon wright liquid smoke hickory
1/4 teaspoon sugar, optional

Mix and marinate chicken breast overnight or freeze in the
marinade

Shrimp Poppers
By Hag

32 large shrimp, large, R-T-C, butterflyed
1 pound Bacon
32 jalapeno peppers, canned, slices
wooden skewers
---Brine---
2 cups water
1 tablespoon kosher salt, or 4 tsp table
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon msg

Soak shrimp in brine for approx 15 min. Cook bacon lightly
until slightly browned but still pliable to work with. cut
bacon strips in 1/2. Place in each shrimp one pepper slice
and wrap with a piece of bacon. Fix on soaked skewer to hold
bacon wrapped around the shrimp and the pepper in place. put
3 to 4 shrimps per skewer depending on the size of the
shrimp and the skewers and grill until the shrimp are pink .

Teriyaki Sauce
By Steve Kramer

2 cloves garlic
1 small knob ginger root
3/4 cup soy sauce, Kikoman
1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 cups water

Coarsely chop garlic and ginger. Measure soy auce, and
place a small amount into food processor. And garlic and
inger. Pulse until garlic and ginger are in tiny pieces.
Combine this mixture ith honey and remaining soy sauce. Add
brown sugar and water. immer for 1 hour. Cool and strain.
Great on Chicken, beef, pork. I use this on pounded breasts,
cuttlets, whole chicken pieces etc...

Thai-High BBQ'd Shrimp
By Hugh Carpenter

6 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp ginger finely minced
4 serrano peppers minced with seeds
2 whole green onions, minced
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1 tbsp lime zest finely minced
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup thai fish sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 lb shrimp, cut shell on back

Using scissors, cut the shrimp shells, along the back. Cover
and refrigerate the shrimp. In small bowl, combine all
ingredients, stirring well. Within 30 minutes of grilling,
spoon marinade under shrimp shells. Slice limes Heat the
grill to medium. Place oil on the grill basket. Grill shrimp
on both sides(total of four minutes). Spoon additional
marinade as grilling. Transfer the shrimp to serving
platter, garnished with lime slices

Speak Up Blackened Pork Chops
By Jack Schidt

18 5 oz pork chops, 3/4" thick
3/4 lb Melted unsalted butter (note
-----SEASONING MIX-----
1 T Salt
1 T + 2 tsp white pepper
1 T + 3/4 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 t Dry mustard
2 1/2 t Cayenne pepper
2 t Garlic powder
3/4 t Dried thyme leaves

OTE: The 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, must be kept
melted and warm in the skillet. Let the chops come to room
remperature before blackening. Combine the seasoning mix
ingredients thoroughly in a medium-size bowl. Heat a large
cast-iron skillet over very high heat until it is extremely
hot and just short of the point at which you see white ash
or a white spot forming in the skillet bottom, about 8
minutes. (The time will vary according to the intensity of
the heat source.) Heat the serving plates in a 250F oven.
Just before cooking each chop, dip it in the melted butter
so that both sides are well coated, then sprinkle each side
generously and evenly with the seasoning mix (use between
1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon on each side), patting it in with your
hands. (If you lay the chop on a plate
or other surface to season it, be sure the surface is warm
so the butter won't congeal and stick to the
surface instead of to the chop. Wipe the surface clean
after seasoning each chop. Use any remaining seasoning mix
in another recipe.) Immediately place the chop in the hot
skillet. If the chop is very lean, pour about 1 teaspoon
butter on top. (Be careful, as the butter may flame up.)
If you cook more than 1 chop at a time, place each chop in
the skillet before buttering and seasoning another one. Cook
uncovered over the same high heat until the underside forms
a crust, about 2 minutes (the time will vary according to
the thickness of the chops and the heat of the skillet or
fire). Turn the chops over
and pour about 1 teaspoon more butter on top of each, if
needed. Cook just until meat is done, about 2
minutes more. Serve the chops crustier side up while piping
hot. Clean the skillet after cooking each
batch and repeat the blackening procedure with the remaining
chops. To serve, place 2 or 3 chops on
each heated serving plate. If you use a serving plater, DO
NOT STACK THE CHOPS. From The Prudhome Family Cookbook

Notes: Some personal notes: If you do not have a heavy duty
commercial range hood, capable of disposing of an incredible
amount of smoke, DON'T cook this inside. If you live in an
apartment, like I do, where your smoke detector is attached
to a central fire system,
you will very quickly become well known to all your
neighbors, and your local firefighters. In all likelyhood
you will also get to meet your landlord. A good, 40,000 BTU
to 50,000 BTU barbecue will do a good job of providing
sufficient heat. Be sure you have all your doors and
windows closed, and invite your neighbors to the barbecue.
This method generates a totally unbelievable amount of
smoke. However, the results are worth it. Whatever you are
cooking by this method, it is an entirely incredible taste
experience. From Prudhomme Family Cookbook