Oh boy!

Michael Odom

Jul 3, 2001, 11:27:39 PM7/3/01
We got a bleeding dispute about guns on rfc AGAIN! Ain't is swell?

OBFood: I bought some fresh cucumbers from a cute young girl at what
is laughingly called the Commerce Farmers' Market this afternoon.
Does anybody out there have a good recipe for ice box pickles?

M.Odom is at modom at koyote dot com

"It serve you right to suffer."
-- John Lee Hooker

notbob

Jul 4, 2001, 2:03:47 AM7/4/01

Michael Odom wrote:

> We got a bleeding dispute about guns on rfc AGAIN! Ain't is swell?

Cool! What thread?

nb

Michael Odom

Jul 4, 2001, 5:10:33 AM7/4/01

Header said guns in it somewhere. Maybe it's dead by now.

Naw.

OBFood: Potatoes for tonight's dinner were little red ones I got at
the farmers' market. Split, roasted, seasoned with garlic and fresh
rosemary and cayenne and lemon slices. They were pretty good with the
bit of beef I browned in a skillet, removed, deglazed with Chinese
cooking wine, added capers, chiles japones, lemon juice, anchovies
(only two), chiffonade of fresh basil, and a dab of butter. Sliced
the rare meat very thin and returned it to the sauce. Good food with
sliced tomatoes, basil, cucumbers in vinegar (anybody got an ice box
pickle recipe for me? Do I have to beg?), cantaloupe slices, and
roasted okra pods.

CatMandy99

Jul 4, 2001, 10:35:27 AM7/4/01
<<

OBFood: I bought some fresh cucumbers from a cute young girl at what
is laughingly called the Commerce Farmers' Market this afternoon.
Does anybody out there have a good recipe for ice box pickles?

M.Odom is at modom at koyote dot com

"It serve you right to suffer."
-- John Lee Hooker

Michael,
See a thread started by Stan Horwitz in the past couple days about this very
thing.

I posted a recipe for bread and butter ice box pickles that came out very, very
good.

It's Alton's Brown's recipe, actually, but I multiplied it.

Stan just made some pickles, too.

Good luck.

Sheryl
(Remove the crap to email)
Live like there's no tomorrow...
Love like you've never been hurt,
and Dance like there's nobody watching.

Cyndi

Jul 4, 2001, 1:28:10 PM7/4/01
Here are two recipes - one for pickles and one for soup. Cyndi

Bread and Butter Pickles

4 quarts cucumbers
6 medium onions
1/3 cup salt
3 trays ice cubes

Thinly slice cucumbers and onions. Mix with salt. Alternate in layers with
ice cubes. Set 3 hours. Drain.

Put in saucepan:

3 cups vinegar
5 cups white sugar
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp celery seed
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/4 cup pickling spices, in a cheese cloth bag

Bring liquid to a boil. Pour over sliced vegetables. Bring to a boil
again. Vegetables will turn to a yellowish green. Put in hot, sterilized
jars and seal. Yield - 8 pints.

Iced Korean Cucumber Soup

2 cucumbers
2 cups chicken broth (or use canned broth), degreased
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper
4 green onions, chopped on the diagonal
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
15 to 20 ice cubes
1. If the cucumbers are waxy, peel them. If the skin is thin and unwaxed,
leave it on. Slice the cucumber into match-stick pieces, about 2 inches in
length. An easy way to do this is to slice thin, flat strips using the wide
blade of a grater. Then, stack the strips on each other and slice them
lengthwise into skinny, 1/4-inch wide strips. Finally cut these strips
crosswise into 2-inch lengths.
2. Trim the "beards" off the green onions and slice them on the diagonal
into 1/4 inch wide bits.

3. In a large serving bowl, mix together the chicken broth, water, cider
vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and white pepper. Stir in the cucumber
and green onions. Chill well. At this point the soup will keep for several
hours.

4. Just before serving, stir the ice cubes and sesame seeds into the soup.
Taste the soup to correct the seasonings. It should be pleasantly tart and
slightly salty, with a hint of sesame. If the flavorings seem too strong,
then dilute with additional water, but keep in mind that the ice cubes will
thin down the flavors as they melt.

Serves 4 to 6.

blake murphy

Jul 4, 2001, 9:20:46 PM7/4/01

not exactly an ice box pickle, half-way between a salad and a pickle:

japanese cucumber salad (adapted from 'japanese cooking,' by peter
and joan martin)

1 cucumber

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1 tbl sugar

1 tbl soy sauce

1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (msg)

* * * * *

mix together all but cucumber.

wash cucumber but do not peel. slice as thinly as possible. on a
plate, arrange the slices in layers, not overlapping, and salt each
layer lightly. let stand for 30 minutes. squeeze cucumbers pretty
hard to remove the accumulated moisture. place cukes in bowl,pour
dressing over and refrigeratecukes refrigerate.

these taste better the next day. i don't see why they wouldn't last
at least a week.

the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
much for me. recipe can be doubled or (maybe) tripled. they're tasty
little suckers.

your pal,
tojo

blacksalt

Jul 9, 2001, 1:22:16 PM7/9/01
Michael Odom wrote:

> OBFood: I bought some fresh cucumbers from a cute young girl at what
> is laughingly called the Commerce Farmers' Market this afternoon.
> Does anybody out there have a good recipe for ice box pickles?

A old post of mine. These pickles have have kept my parents "regular"
well into their 9th and 10th decades.
blacksalt

<begin paste>
Do try the following. They are really fresh and wonderful mid-winter.

Mrs. Naverud's Freezer Pickles.

Mix
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 white vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt
HEAT until dissolved, let stand 20-40 minutes

Peel and slice somewhat thinly (thicker than
the shredder)
12 cucs, 2 to 3 inches in diameter

Seed and devein and cut into thin strips
2 large bell peppers

Slice and seperate
2 large onions

Mix the veggies well with the liquid.
Pack in plastic freezer boxes and freeze.

These are a useful way to store extra cucs. The thawed and drained
product is very fresh tasting and is a treat in the off season.
tj