NASTY: Food in the Great British Pub

Steven Fruitbat Foster

Jul 17, 1990, 9:04:46 AM7/17/90

In the vain hope of retaining some decorum here, please edit the newsgroups
line accordingly. Heated discussions about cucumbers belong in r.f.c,
equally heated discussions about how wonderful pub food is really belong
in s.c.b, or is it the other way round? :^>

In article <19...@lzga.ATT.COM>, p...@lzga.ATT.COM (Peter P. Fagone) writes...
>I have been searching for good ***any*** recipies for what might
>be known as "Pub Foods". During my years in the UK, I used to
>partake of "Scotch Eggs", "Bangers", "Savaloys", pork pies, meat pies,
>brides[sic], & etc. This usually was when I was "sipping"
>a pint of Double-Diamond (I hear it is no longer made) at the
>Eastcoat Arms.

I bet you also like being tight up and flayed with a hot iron? Tutch, such
masochists :^>

>I really would appreciate it if anyone in England, Scotland,
>Wales or Ireland could share some recipies for any of the above.

Hokay.

Ploughmans lunch
----------------

Take a lettuce, doesn't matter what sort, but it must be at least three
days old. Peel off the outer leaves, make a desultory attempt to wash them,
and put them on a plate. Now slice a very large tasteless tomato, and arrange
this over the lettuce. On one side of the plate, put a hard-boiled egg (do
NOT cut this, and preferably leave some shell). On the other side, you want
a slab of the worst rubbery cheese you can find. Preferably cut this
triangular, 1/2 inch thick, and as big as will fit on the plate. In the
room beside these objects, put a large spoonful of branston pickle, pour
the nastiest weightwatchers salad cream over everything else, and garnish
with a large pickled onion. In posh restaurants, salad cress is used to give
it all some colour.

{pie|meat|sausage|fish} and chips
---------------------------------

Everybodys pub favourite. If using a pie, make sure it is a frozen one that
you microwave until the pastry goes soggy. The meat (usually ham, beef)
must be sliced to one molecule thick, and be in slices as near to plate
sized as possible. Sausages must be full of gristle, fish must be cooked
in that mysterious way of pubs that makes it solid and soggy at the same
time. Put this on a plate, with the chips next to it. I will not explain
how to cook chips - it is now a reflex action. This dish must be garnished.
Fish is the most expensive (it has contain fish, because people notice
otherwise) so it deserves a slice of lemon. One picked out of a gin and
tonic from yesterday evenings dirty glasses will do fine. Again, three
pieces of cress will make it look like value for money. Cooked meat will
have a tablespoon of Branston pickle shoved in the middle. Traditional
pub meals then provide a sachet of tartare sauce,tomato ketchup and vinegar.
The more up to date ones bring these in a little basket, with salt and
six month old soggy white pepper.

Chicken in a basket
-------------------

This is a very simple recipe that I haven't seen since the mid-seventies.
A piece chicken is deep fried in hot oil until black in places. This is
then taken out, and put into a small wicker basket (the best bits of
chicken to use for this is the bits which are mostly fiddly bones). It
is important that the skin of the chicken is retained, and is covered in
grease. Now, pile in some chips, put in the ubiquitous cress, and fling
in an old slice of lemon. Serve when cold.

\ The Fruitbat, \ fos...@jumbly.enet.dec.com -til 1st October <pout>\
\ 92 Blenheim Road, \ VMS,UNIX,C,Needs UK job to support mars bar lust..\
\ Reading, Berks. \ VoiceMeep at +44 734 666738 when not DECslaving...\
:^> \ RG1 5NQ, England. \ I am not a spokesmegachiroperon of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|\

bruce bowser

Jun 18, 2022, 4:06:03 PM6/18/22
Until black? That would NEVER go here in America ! !

Denis Diderot

Jun 18, 2022, 5:29:40 PM6/18/22
If I understand correctly, you can't say "black" anymore, but if
that's the case, what's with BLM? The B, I mean.

--
Denis Diderot
<https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/thumbs/denis-diderot-1.jpg>

S Viemeister

Jun 18, 2022, 6:20:46 PM6/18/22
On 18/06/2022 22:29, Denis Diderot wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you can't say "black" anymore, but if
> that's the case, what's with BLM? The B, I mean.

It has to be written with an uppercase B.

Denis Diderot

Jun 18, 2022, 6:26:51 PM6/18/22
Then it's ok? I can write "That's a Black man"? Of course, in speech
that's difficult.

Thomas

Jun 19, 2022, 6:39:29 AM6/19/22
Bacon, Lettuce, 'Maters.

Is they can say Fry em like bacon so can I.
Bacon matters.

Denis Diderot

Jun 19, 2022, 6:46:26 AM6/19/22
On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 03:39:23 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <cano...@gmail.com>
wrote:
So BLM doesn't have anything to do with "people of colour" but stands
for Bacon Loving Muppets?

Gary

Jun 19, 2022, 9:11:20 AM6/19/22
Check out these cartoons. I've always loved them. Odd but funny.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=snake+and+bacon+comic

Pamela

Jun 19, 2022, 9:28:05 AM6/19/22
On 22:29 18 Jun 2022, Denis Diderot said:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:05:57 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>
> If I understand correctly, you can't say "black" anymore, but if
> that's the case, what's with BLM? The B, I mean.

BLM now stands for "Building Large Mansions".

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/04/black-lives-matter-6-million-
dollar-house.html

Pamela

Jun 19, 2022, 9:28:30 AM6/19/22
1990 was different in so many ways. :)

Bryan Simmons

Jun 19, 2022, 9:33:04 AM6/19/22
On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 8:11:20 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Check out these cartoons. I've always loved them. Odd but funny.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=snake+and+bacon+comic

That is so astoundingly stupid that it's funny.

--Bryan

Gary

Jun 19, 2022, 9:51:34 AM6/19/22
Exactly. Also check out "Underpants-on-his-head man" cartoons. Also very
funny to me. Same cartoonist.

bruce bowser

Jun 20, 2022, 12:30:38 PM6/20/22
On Saturday, June 18, 2022 at 5:29:40 PM UTC-4, Denis Diderot wrote:
Oh nou ja. Dat wordt erkenning 'afrofobie' of discriminatie of racisme is nodig.

dsi1

Jun 20, 2022, 12:41:43 PM6/20/22

dsi1

Jun 20, 2022, 12:45:22 PM6/20/22
Yoose boys can't say "black" anymore without giggling, sho'nuff!

jmcquown

Jun 20, 2022, 12:50:20 PM6/20/22
dsi1 wrote:
> Yoose boys can't say "black" anymore without giggling, sho'nuff!

How about dindu?

Jill

Denis Diderot

Jun 20, 2022, 3:58:56 PM6/20/22