HAPPY 2000!

C.L. Gifford

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Wishing everyone a fabulous new year!
>
> From Saint Paul, Minnesota,
> Damsel and Crash

Happy New Year from Sandy Eggo! It rained here tonight! We
haven't had any rain in over 9 months. Last night of 1999 and it
rains - a REAL rain too not just a drizzle. This has been the
driest year ever since records have been kept so the rain is
almost certainly a good omen. Well, except for the folks
celebrating outdoors. <s>

Charlie

Charles Liam Gifford 32:44:58N
<>< 117:06:33W
USS PORTERFIELD DD682
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/8893

Jill McQuown

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Damsel in dis Dress wrote in message
<046r6soqnm0t23q7p...@4ax.com>...

>Wishing everyone a fabulous new year!
>
>From Saint Paul, Minnesota,
>Damsel and Crash

I just love seeing these posts with 01/01/2000 next to them :-) Today I'm
laughing my butt off at the woman I saw at the grocery store yesterday with
a cart filled with gallons of bottled water and batteries. Hope she's
thirsty! Hope she has a big... uh... need for those batteries! (grin)

Last night I supped on Thai Dumplings - Kahnom Jeep (you've got the recipe,
don't you Carol?) and sipped champagne, stayed up long enough to watch New
York drop the ball, then hit the sack. Gotta get ready to go to work now.
They graciously said we could wear jeans, which is why I'm dressing to the
nine's... maybe even to the 9-1/2's!

Happy New Year!!

Jill
Memphis, TN

Paul and Jill

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Ditto.

Hungover Jill :-)

In article <046r6soqnm0t23q7p...@4ax.com>,

notbob

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Wishing everyone a fabulous new year!
>
> From Saint Paul, Minnesota,
> Damsel and Crash

Hapyy New Year

OK, everyone who filled their bathtub raise their hand.

....no.

nb

wheel man

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Jill - my wife didn't go into the Stop & Shop supermarket here in
Medford, Mass.
Too many last second, beware the millennium types buying last minute
goods. We in this house always have various kinds of food available. We
like to eat.
This a. m. I made myself one of my favorite breakfasts. What we here
call a western sandwich. Its also known as a Denver Omelette. 2 slices
of imported boiled ham, some sauteed onion, salt, pepper, touch of
sugar, some cheese, scrambled together and cooked in a buttered,
preheated non-stick 8" pan.
Folded on itself, eaten on a bulkie roll with a dab or two of ketchup,
and a cup of coffee. I love it.
I've made this sandwich with different meats, unsauteed onion, touch of
liquor, touch of milk, etc. Depends on my mood on any day.
Enjoy the new year and century.

Diane Feder

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00

notbob wrote in message <386E20D7...@NOThome.com>...

Hapyy New Year

I meant to, but it had ferrets in it.

Diane Feder

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00

"Diane Feder" <fe...@tmg.com> spake unto us, saying:

>I meant to, but it had ferrets in it.

Good decision. Nuthin' smells worse than a wet ferret.

Damsel

And wet ferret = angry ferret.

Diane

Metra

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in message ...

>"Diane Feder" <fe...@tmg.com> spake unto us, saying:
>
>>notbob wrote in message <386E20D7...@NOThome.com>...
>>
>>>Hapyy New Year
>>>
>>>OK, everyone who filled their bathtub raise their hand.
>>
>>I meant to, but it had ferrets in it.
>
>Good decision. Nuthin' smells worse than a wet ferret.
>
>Damsel
>--
>Edible Complex: http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/
>Minnesota Cooking, Heirloom Recipes,
>Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, RFC Hall of Fame

An unbathed wet ferret. They smell much better AFTER their baths.

Metra

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
New Years greetings to all from me and a certain black cat from the beautiful
seaside neighborhood of Black Rock in Bridgeport, Ct.

Mandy, I presume, slept thru the turn of the year, as the clean litter and pile
of food I left for her before I went out were untouched when I returned 22
hours later, and she was in the same spot when I returned as when I left (and
that would be in her Sylvester-the-cat bed in front of the radiator in the
living room). She was please to see me....but I doubt she realizes I was gone
as long as I was.

I spent the evening and morning at a friends apt. in NYC. We watched the
festivities from around the world and 55 blocks away on the tv...ate, drank and
were merry. We were all tucked in and on our way to dreamland by 2am. Got up
this am, had bagels, watched "The Honeymooners" marathon on the local WB
station, and I took the train home.

The Honeymooners are still on.....now it's the one where Ralph has 4 weeks to
learn how to play golf in order to impress his boss. I love this one!!!
"Hellllllooooooo ball!"
Hahahahahahhahahhaahahahahhaah

Dinner tonight will be a simple pasta in garlic and oil, with some chicken
broth. Simple, Simple, Simple.

Happy New year, one and all, from Sheryl and Mandy.
Sheryl
Not a newbie. Just new to AOL.

Jill McQuown

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
notbob wrote in message <386E20D7...@NOThome.com>...
>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Wishing everyone a fabulous new year!
>>
>> From Saint Paul, Minnesota,
>> Damsel and Crash
>
>Hapyy New Year
>
>OK, everyone who filled their bathtub raise their hand.

That would have meant I'd have to clean it first. I don't *do* bathtubs on
Fridays ;-)

Jill (who's now got 2 clean bathtubs!)

Jill McQuown

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Damsel in dis Dress wrote in message
<6avr6sg4u4rf38sv9...@4ax.com>...
>"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> spake unto us, saying:

>>I just love seeing these posts with 01/01/2000 next to them :-) Today I'm
>>laughing my butt off at the woman I saw at the grocery store yesterday
with
>>a cart filled with gallons of bottled water and batteries. Hope she's
>>thirsty! Hope she has a big... uh... need for those batteries! (grin)
>
>LOL! Jill, you are such a humanitarian! We went to the grocery store
>yesterday to pick up a couple items for dinner. What a madhouse! And boy,
>were they selling a lot of bottled water!

>>Last night I supped on Thai Dumplings - Kahnom Jeep (you've got the
recipe,
>>don't you Carol?)
>
><pouting> No, Jill, I don't. You never gave it to me, despite my
>relentless pleas for the recipe. *grin* Wanna post it?

>>and sipped champagne, stayed up long enough to watch New
>>York drop the ball, then hit the sack. Gotta get ready to go to work now.
>>They graciously said we could wear jeans, which is why I'm dressing to the
>>nine's... maybe even to the 9-1/2's!
>
>Are you wearing that killer vintage cocktail dress to work?

>>Happy New Year!!
>>
>>Jill
>>Memphis, TN
>
>Right back atcha!
>The Phantom

>--
>Edible Complex: http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/
>Minnesota Cooking, Heirloom Recipes,
>Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, RFC Hall of Fame

I *almost* wore the black vintage cocktail dress, but at the last minute
decided on a more practical but still great black satin crepe number. I'll
send you an email :-)

This dish is absolutely delicious and so easy to make! I find I can't
resist eating one or two of them right away, as I'm removing them from the
steamer (grin)

Thai Dumplings (Kahnom Jeep)

3 oz. flaked crabmeat
6 oz. ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbs. water
1/4 tsp. garlic salt (I use minced garlic and add some salt to the mix)
1-1/2 - 2-1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 egg
1-1/2 Tbs. light soy sauce
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. wonton wrappers

*Since I rarely just have 6 large shrimp lying around, I buy a bag of small
frozen "salad shrimp" and measure out what I need... no need to mince those,
either! Place shrimp, crabmeat and pork in mixing bowl. Blend in remaining
ingredients except wonton wrappers and mix together until firm (add a little
more cornstarch if mixture is too wet). Hold a wonton wrapper in one hand.
Place 1 Tbs. filling in the center. Fold the corners in to meet in the
middle, squeezing to close the top. Moisten fingers with water and gently
seal (I noticed last night they look like small whole heads of garlic when
done!). Place in a lightly oiled steamer basket. Steam (covered) over
simmering water about 25 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce (below). Serves
4

Dipping sauce (or use whatever you like):

4 Tbs. white wine vinegar
2 Tbs. hot water
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dark soy sauce
2 Tbs. thinly sliced ginger root

Blend all ingredients together. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Use as a
dipping sauce for dumplings.

Miche

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
In article <vkes6sgg7evrjmgj3...@4ax.com>,

head.t...@bigfoot.com (Damsel in dis Dress) wrote:

> "Diane Feder" <fe...@tmg.com> spake unto us, saying:
>

> >notbob wrote in message <386E20D7...@NOThome.com>...
> >

> >>Hapyy New Year
> >>
> >>OK, everyone who filled their bathtub raise their hand.
> >

> >I meant to, but it had ferrets in it.
>
> Good decision. Nuthin' smells worse than a wet ferret.

_Two_ wet ferrets. :)

Miche

--
Punctuation lesson for the next Millennium:
An apostrophe does not mean "Look out! An 'S' is coming!"

Miche

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
In article <6avr6sg4u4rf38sv9...@4ax.com>,

head.t...@bigfoot.com (Damsel in dis Dress) wrote:

> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> spake unto us, saying:
>
> >I just love seeing these posts with 01/01/2000 next to them :-) Today I'm
> >laughing my butt off at the woman I saw at the grocery store yesterday with
> >a cart filled with gallons of bottled water and batteries. Hope she's
> >thirsty! Hope she has a big... uh... need for those batteries! (grin)
>
> LOL! Jill, you are such a humanitarian! We went to the grocery store
> yesterday to pick up a couple items for dinner. What a madhouse! And boy,
> were they selling a lot of bottled water!

When we were getting our disaster kit together (we didn't have one and we
figured this was as good a time as any) we bought milk in plastic bottles
instead of sachets (yes, we buy one quart/litre sachets of milk; you can
get jugs to put the sachets in and it works remarkably well). When the
milk bottles were done with we washed them well, sterilized them with
sterilizer tablets left over from when Meran was a baby and filled them
with filtered water. Sure, it was a little more effort, but less
packaging involved and _much_ less cost.

SportKite1

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
>Subject: Re: HAPPY 2000!
>From: "Jill McQuown" jmcq...@bellsouth.net
>Date: Sat, 01 January 2000 05:56 PM EST

>Thai Dumplings (Kahnom Jeep)

<----recipe snipped---->

Wow! Those sound too delicious. I think I know what I'm making for Valentine's
Day....:) Thanks for the recipe! Ellen

Alistair Gale

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
On Sun, 02 Jan 2000 09:07:26 +1300, Miche <mi...@technologist.com> wrote:

>When we were getting our disaster kit together (we didn't have one and we
>figured this was as good a time as any) we bought milk in plastic bottles
>instead of sachets (yes, we buy one quart/litre sachets of milk; you can
>get jugs to put the sachets in and it works remarkably well). When the
>milk bottles were done with we washed them well, sterilized them with
>sterilizer tablets left over from when Meran was a baby and filled them
>with filtered water. Sure, it was a little more effort, but less
>packaging involved and _much_ less cost.

Our local dairy used to be owned by a New Zealand company and milk was delivered
in plastic bags (sachets?). These bags were then slipped into a rigid plastic
sleeve/holder which allowed you to pour the milk from the bag.

My problem with that system was that condensation would build up in the
sleeve and would tend to be the first thing to hit your cereal instead of
the milk. YUKK!!

--
alistair
EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping

Miche

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
In article <slrn871957....@localhost.localdomain>,
alis...@caribsurf.com wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2000 09:07:26 +1300, Miche <mi...@technologist.com> wrote:
> >
> >When we were getting our disaster kit together (we didn't have one and we
> >figured this was as good a time as any) we bought milk in plastic bottles
> >instead of sachets (yes, we buy one quart/litre sachets of milk; you can
> >get jugs to put the sachets in and it works remarkably well). When the
> >milk bottles were done with we washed them well, sterilized them with
> >sterilizer tablets left over from when Meran was a baby and filled them
> >with filtered water. Sure, it was a little more effort, but less
> >packaging involved and _much_ less cost.
>
> Our local dairy used to be owned by a New Zealand company and milk was
delivered
> in plastic bags (sachets?). These bags were then slipped into a rigid plastic
> sleeve/holder which allowed you to pour the milk from the bag.

Yep, that's exactly how it works.

> My problem with that system was that condensation would build up in the
> sleeve and would tend to be the first thing to hit your cereal instead of
> the milk. YUKK!!

Might that be a climactic thing? We don't have that problem here.

Miche

Jessica Edwards

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
-=> Quoting Head.t...@bigfoot.com to All <=-

He> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> spake unto us, saying:

>I just love seeing these posts with 01/01/2000 next to them :-) Today I'm
>laughing my butt off at the woman I saw at the grocery store yesterday with
>a cart filled with gallons of bottled water and batteries. Hope she's
>thirsty! Hope she has a big... uh... need for those batteries! (grin)

He> LOL! Jill, you are such a humanitarian! We went to the grocery store
He> yesterday to pick up a couple items for dinner. What a madhouse! And
He> boy, were they selling a lot of bottled water!

I went shopping too. Got 2 whole chicken fryers, and a lb and half
of 16% ground beef plus a few other odds and ends. No such thing as
bottled water. We had potato soup last night. YUMMY! and am in
the process of cooking a roast chicken. My first. Coming out ok.
Checked bios...works until year 2099. Software is another matter.
Juno shows up as 1/1/100. Grin. All others including Telix that I
use for the bbs and bluewave to read mail offline seem to work fine.
Don't know if it'll show the date stamp <G>.

>Last night I supped on Thai Dumplings - Kahnom Jeep (you've got the recipe,
>don't you Carol?)

He> <pouting> No, Jill, I don't. You never gave it to me, despite my
He> relentless pleas for the recipe. *grin* Wanna post it?

Yeah Jill! Post it willya??

>and sipped champagne, stayed up long enough to watch New
>York drop the ball, then hit the sack. Gotta get ready to go to work now.
>They graciously said we could wear jeans, which is why I'm dressing to the
>nine's... maybe even to the 9-1/2's!

He> Are you wearing that killer vintage cocktail dress to work?

>Happy New Year!!
>
>Jill
>Memphis, TN

He> Right back atcha!
He> The Phantom

Happy New year to ya'll too!!

Jessica
stampin' bookworm

... This tagline is made just for all

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]

Stan Horwitz

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Alistair Gale <Alis...@caribsurf.com> wrote:
> Our local dairy used to be owned by a New Zealand company and milk was delivered
> in plastic bags (sachets?). These bags were then slipped into a rigid plastic
> sleeve/holder which allowed you to pour the milk from the bag.

> My problem with that system was that condensation would build up in the

> sleeve and would tend to be the first thing to hit your cereal instead of
> the milk. YUKK!!

The solution to that problem is simple. Just pour the milk into a regular
bottle and use it from there.

Alistair Gale

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

Naw, what we used to do was yank the bag up a bit out of the sleeve (if nearly
full) and pour by bending it over. If the bag was near empty just pull it out
and pour.

Miche says that this system is still used in NZ, I live in Barbados and our
dairy was part owned by a NZ company/Dairy Board. Did/Does anyone else
have to deal with milk in litre/quart bags?

(No comments on Cricket please NZedders!)

--
alistair

Kaari Jae

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

Had those bags in the Frozen North too way back when but that was before
the "truly triangular square carton!" was invented. Actually the plastic
bags for milk (also smaller bags for heavy whipping cream) were in use
in Israel years ago too. From waste point of view the cartons are
better I suppose, but then there wouldn't be all these wonderful
crocheted bathroom rugs made out of shredded milk bags to use, would
there :))

Kaari
who hated those bags and their holders for above mentioned reasons!
Please remove the Seattle before you reply. Thank you :)

"Our minds are like our stomachs;
they are whetted by the change of their food,
and variety supplies both with fresh appetites."
Quintilian