SD cookin-Nanaimo Bars

Debra Fritz

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

I got this recipe from the wife of a friend when I was in Canada
last year. This is apparently a common dessert up there, but I'd
never seen them in California. Every time I make these, they're a
hit..they also freeze well. enjoy!

Debra

Nanaimo Bars..

Bottom Layer

1/2C unsalted butter
1/4C sugar
5 tsp. cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
1 3/4C graham cracker crumbs
1/2C finely chopped nuts..almonds, walnuts, your choice..
1C finely chopped coconut

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg, stir &
cook until thickens. Remove from the heat..stir mixture into crumb
mixture..when moistened, press firmly into un greased 8X8 pan. Put
in fridge to chill.

Second layer-

1/2C unsalted butter
2 tbsp & 2 tsp. heavy cream
2 tbsp. instant vanilla pudding
2C powdered sugar

Cream all together well. spread over the chilled crumb base. Note:
this makes a thin layer of filling.. I usually increase it by 1/3 or
1/4 to make a thicker layer.

Top Layer

4 squares semi-sweet chocolate
2 tbsp. unsalted butter

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat or in top of double boiler,
stirring to combine. When melted, remove from heat and allow to cool
for a few minutes..when cool, but still liquid, pour over second
layer and chill. This also makes a thin layer..and may be increased
for a thicker layer of chocolate.

Note: It is *very* important the second layer is really cold before
you add the melted chocolate. I usually let the second layer chill
for at least 2 or 3 hours.

After you get the chocolate on, chill for about 30-40 minutes and
then score with a sharp knife. It's not necessary to cut all the way
through all 3 layers..just score the chocolate into serving sized
pieces. If you wait until the chocolate is "hard set", cutting them
is difficult and they squish.

To reply by email, please delete "dd" from my address.

Jamie Utter

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Oh my God!

These were soooooooo good!