Re: Strange Lunch

Message has been deleted

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 21, 2007, 6:06:47 PM1/21/07
"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in message
news:Xns98BFAC66522BBzj...@69.28.186.121...
> Had the oddest lunch today. My ex and his boyfriend wanted me to come
> over
> and see their new Scottish Terrier. The ex and I had 2 of them which I
> got
> custody of in the break up some 20 years ago. We were together for 10
> years. I met Steven a couple of years after that.
>
> Anyway they served lunch. I was very tense and I think that is why I
> could
> not taste much of anything. The lunch menu was:
>
> Romaine lettuce with a Caesar dressing
> Thin slices of pan fried rib eye steak
> Garlic mashed
> Creamed spinach
>
> I passed on the German chocolate cake for dessert. It was strange walking
> into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own 1/2 of. I
> made him give me back my Lladro collection before I left along with one of
> my vases that he took with him :o)
>
> Still don't know why they called and invited me over. I went out of
> curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.
>
> Michael

People sometimes try and rebuild bridges when they get older, unless the
burnt bridges involve something truly hideous. I saw this with some members
of my ex-wife's family, who could not remember why they hadn't talked in 5
years. Maybe that was the motive for the invitation. The fact that he gave
you back the Lladro figures is a clue here.

Message has been deleted

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 21, 2007, 6:20:10 PM1/21/07
> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com>

>> People sometimes try and rebuild bridges when they get older, unless
>> the burnt bridges involve something truly hideous. I saw this with
>> some members of my ex-wife's family, who could not remember why they
>> hadn't talked in 5 years. Maybe that was the motive for the
>> invitation. The fact that he gave you back the Lladro figures is a
>> clue here.
>
> You may be right. I can tell you that he and I will never be friends. I
> don't even want to see him again. Steven kinda encouraged me to go and
> get
> it over with. Steven really dislikes him and is very suspicious of my ex.
> It's a really long story but it's an extremely ugly story.
>
> Michael

Well, I can't think of that many explanations. Maybe his BF, being somewhat
removed from the scenario, is poking him to make peace, even though he knows
it won't amount to much other than good karma. That happens. Maybe your ex
is still bitching about the past and the BF is struggling to find a way to
get him to stop. "He doesn't seem as bad as you make him out to be, so stop
already".

The other possible reason is that they wanted to show off something to make
you jealous. If you said they invited you over to show you a new Steinway
piano, this theory might hold water. Not being a big fan of dogs, I can't
see the dog as being equal to a piano, but I could be wrong. Does dog=piano?

Or, maybe the BF didn't like the figurines, and knew you'd ask for them if
you came over.

Have a beer. Fugettaboutit.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 21, 2007, 7:26:41 PM1/21/07
> "aem" <aem_...@yahoo.com>
>

>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> It's a really long story but it's an extremely ugly story.
>>>

>> Just wondering -- is there now no difference between a newsgroup and
>> your blog? -aem
>
> Implying what?
>
> Michael

Meaning that your original post had nothing really to do with food, so aem's
entire day is ruined. Polls at the wreckdotfood web site are different and
have immense value, because it's important to know how many people might've
dreamt about becoming silverware designers last week, or other such crap.
from Chutney-on-Fishpool and I made a egg today", which generate 419

sigh......

Message has been deleted

Ward Abbott

Jan 21, 2007, 7:45:53 PM1/21/07
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:56:29 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
<shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

>I went out of
>curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.

Don't complain to this forum. I can't imagine accepting an
invitation to an ex unless I still have "designs" or wondering what my
replacement was.

Ward Abbott

Jan 21, 2007, 7:47:08 PM1/21/07
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:20:10 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
<dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The fact that he gave you back the Lladro figures is a
> clue here.

Nothing rivals a tasteless divorce.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dan Abel

Jan 21, 2007, 8:37:34 PM1/21/07
In article <3728r252efm32feer...@4ax.com>,
Ward Abbott <pre...@terian.com> wrote:

They were together for 10 years. Sometimes a meeting works and
sometimes it doesn't.

I have no personal experience at this.

Dan Abel

Jan 21, 2007, 8:46:49 PM1/21/07
In article <Xns98BFAC66522BBzj...@69.28.186.121>,

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

> Still don't know why they called and invited me over. I went out of

> curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.

Don't have any experience with this. The minister at our church said
that his ex was one of his best friends. They were close, why should
they be enemies? He and his second wife went to visit her and her
second every summer. They stayed in their house.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 21, 2007, 8:46:56 PM1/21/07
> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com>

>> Meaning that your original post had nothing really to do with food, so
>> aem's entire day is ruined. Polls at the wreckdotfood web site are
>> different and have immense value, because it's important to know how
>> many people might've dreamt about becoming silverware designers last
>> week, or other such crap. Your post was somehow bothersome, compared
>> to such things as "Hello. I'm from Chutney-on-Fishpool and I made a
>> egg today", which generate 419 responses.
>>
>> sigh......
>
> ROFL... You need to write for a comedy script. That was genuinely
> hilarious.

And you had the unmitigated gall to killfile me not long ago. You crazy
person.

Message has been deleted

kilikini

Jan 21, 2007, 9:43:00 PM1/21/07
"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in message
> Had the oddest lunch today. My ex and his boyfriend wanted me to come
over
> and see their new Scottish Terrier. The ex and I had 2 of them which I
got
> custody of in the break up some 20 years ago. We were together for 10
> years. I met Steven a couple of years after that.
>
> Anyway they served lunch. I was very tense and I think that is why I
could
> not taste much of anything. The lunch menu was:
>
> Romaine lettuce with a Caesar dressing
> Thin slices of pan fried rib eye steak
> Garlic mashed
> Creamed spinach
>
> I passed on the German chocolate cake for dessert. It was strange walking
> into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own 1/2 of. I
> made him give me back my Lladro collection before I left along with one of
> my vases that he took with him :o)
>
> Still don't know why they called and invited me over. I went out of
> curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.
>
> Michael

Dang, I hate awkward times like that. It's like damned if you do, but
you're too darn curious if you don't. I'm glad you went and now you know -
if that makes sense.

kili

Serene

Jan 21, 2007, 10:00:22 PM1/21/07

Lots of people who part do so on amicable terms. I would welcome any
of my exes into my home any time, and so would my partners. I still
see James's ex-girlfriend on a semi-regular basis. We were friends
before they got together, so I don't see any reason to stop being
friends just because they're not seeing each other any more.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

sf

Jan 21, 2007, 10:04:37 PM1/21/07
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:16:04 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
<shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

>"aem" <aem_...@yahoo.com>
>

>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> It's a really long story but it's an extremely ugly story.
>>>

>> Just wondering -- is there now no difference between a newsgroup and
>> your blog? -aem
>
>Implying what?

that you have a blog. What blog?

--
See return address to reply by email

sf

Jan 21, 2007, 10:10:03 PM1/21/07
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 02:33:22 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
<shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

>when I killfile
>someone it will only be for 100 days unless I over ride the default

100 DAYS? My kill is 2 days only. 5 days was too long because they
usually shape up between 2 -5. Those who have to be rekilled often
make it into my permanent KF. At this point I have killed 5 authors,
3 of them are permanent.

Omelet

Jan 21, 2007, 10:19:35 PM1/21/07

I only have two in permanent killfile from this list... :-) One is Ch***
and you know who the other is for being a real moron.

jsb just expired, but he might end up with that honor. Time will tell!

I generally set expiration dates for 2 to 4 weeks. Depends on how badly
someone offended me.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Serene

Jan 21, 2007, 10:58:33 PM1/21/07

I don't do temporary killfiles. If I can see from people's quoting of
someone that they have stopped acting in ways that make me irritated
(not saying they are assholes for irritating me, just that I am
irritated by some people), then I can cancel the killfile, but the
default is permanent.

I don't have time to count how many people are in my killfile. But I
read dozens of groups, some of which are fuller of fuckwits than even
this one.

PeterL

Jan 21, 2007, 11:04:39 PM1/21/07
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in

> It was strange
> walking into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own
> 1/2 of.

He still has the *same* furniture that he had 20 *years* ago????

That's sad!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/videos/poster_girl.shtml

Mr Libido Incognito

Jan 21, 2007, 11:11:49 PM1/21/07
PeterL wrote on 21 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in
>
> > It was strange
> > walking into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own
> > 1/2 of.
>

> He still has the *same* furniture that he had 20 *years* ago????
>

> That's sad!!

Apparently he didn't move on...possibly looking for some sort of closure?

Nancy Young

Jan 21, 2007, 11:14:41 PM1/21/07

"Mr Libido Incognito" <N...@vaild.null> wrote

> PeterL wrote on 21 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote

>> > It was strange

>> > walking into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own
>> > 1/2 of.

>> He still has the *same* furniture that he had 20 *years* ago????

> Apparently he didn't move on...possibly looking for some sort of closure?

That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture from 20 years
ago, too.

nancy

PeterL

Jan 21, 2007, 11:18:01 PM1/21/07
Mr Libido Incognito <N...@vaild.null> wrote in

Or stuck in a time warp!!

PeterL

Jan 21, 2007, 11:21:48 PM1/21/07
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in

I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.

Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm looking
at replacing it :-)

The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.

Nancy Young

Jan 21, 2007, 11:33:00 PM1/21/07

"PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

>> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture from 20 years
>> ago, too.

> I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.
>
> Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm looking
> at replacing it :-)
>
> The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
> pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.

What do you do with your old stuff?

nancy

Goomba38

Jan 22, 2007, 12:08:35 AM1/22/07
PeterL wrote:

> I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.
>
> Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm looking
> at replacing it :-)
>
> The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
> pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.

How sad is that? If something was worth buying, and brought pleasure and
good service to you.. what is the point of just replacing it? It sounds
a bit bourgeoise I guess? Do you make it a habit to buy crap in the
first place that things need replacing that routinely?

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 12:06:03 AM1/22/07
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in

Give it away to friends or local community groups.

But with this couch, I might try and sell it first.

Which reminds me, I have a bed downstairs I still have to load up and
take to a 'Community Support' center.

Mark Thorson

Jan 22, 2007, 12:19:18 AM1/22/07
Nancy Young wrote:

> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture
> from 20 years ago, too.

I have _all_ of the same furniture from 25 years ago
(except two chairs that eventually fell apart),
the same kitchenware, the same refrigerator (door
handle fell off 10 or 15 years ago), the same gas
oven (only one burner works these days), even some
of the stuff in my fridge . . . well, let's not
go there. I've got stuff I used as a kid,
for example my one remaining fork -- it's from
a set Mom got when I was not older than 10,
which I took with me to college.

My "carbon footprint" is much less than yours.
That's the politically correct way to describe
it these days. Why "recycle" when I haven't
finished "cycle"?

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 12:19:34 AM1/22/07
"PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message

> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in
>
>> It was strange
>> walking into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own
>> 1/2 of.
>

> He still has the *same* furniture that he had 20 *years* ago????
>

> That's sad!!
> Peter Lucas

Why? Some people stretch the budget a bit to get furniture that stands the
test of time, both in terms of style and durability.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 12:20:06 AM1/22/07

> "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> "Mr Libido Incognito" <N...@vaild.null> wrote
>>
>>> PeterL wrote on 21 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

>>> Apparently he didn't move on...possibly looking for some sort of
>>> closure?
>>
>> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture from 20 years
>> ago, too.
>>

> I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.
>
> Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm looking
> at replacing it :-)
>
> The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
> pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.
> Peter Lucas

Why replace appliances every couple of years?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark Thorson

Jan 22, 2007, 12:22:34 AM1/22/07
Nancy Young wrote:

> What do you do with your old stuff?

I'm reminded of one of my favorite Guindon comics.
An old lady is shaking a finger at a young woman
and saying "Old? You think you're old? I've got
stuff in my fridge older than you!"

Message has been deleted

Serene

Jan 22, 2007, 12:28:29 AM1/22/07
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:19:18 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture
>> from 20 years ago, too.
>
>I have _all_ of the same furniture from 25 years ago

I was fifteen years old twenty-five years ago, but while I don't have
much stuff, the stuff I do have is usually gotten used, then used
until it's either used up or no longer useful to us, at which point
it's usually freecycled. I don't see the use of getting a new table
when the one we got free on Freecycle three years ago still does a
fine job of keeping our dishes off the floor (or our laps).

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 12:28:40 AM1/22/07
> PeterL <inbr...@home.oz> news:Xns98C08F2E...@218.100.0.53:

>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in
>>
>>> It was strange
>>> walking into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own
>>> 1/2 of.
>>

>> He still has the *same* furniture that he had 20 *years* ago????
>>

>> That's sad!!
>
> They are antiques. The only thing that he's changed is the Chippendale
> sofa and a couple of wing back chairs. Those were reuhpolstered. <shrug>
> don't care anymore. I've been in a bad mood all afternoon and I am at the
> point I refuse to let it bug me anymore.
>
> Michael

A reliable source tells me you can still get a very effective voodoo doll
made for your in New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana. Not that I'm
suggesting you do this, but I'm just offering it as interesting information.
"Not for nuthin' - I'm just sayin'", as they used to say on the Sopranos.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 12:26:42 AM1/22/07
Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote in

LOL!!! You do sound bitter, don't you??

Replacing things usually means upgrading, for your information.

The couch??? It was worth $1,800 when I bought it, and I want different
one now.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 12:28:01 AM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Styles and fashions change year to year.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 12:29:05 AM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:aQXsh.1043
$B25...@news01.roc.ny:

Some wear out from constant use, others just need to be updated.

Message has been deleted

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 12:33:06 AM1/22/07

> PeterL wrote:

>> I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.
>>
>> Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm
>> looking at replacing it :-)
>>
>> The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
>> pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of
>> years.
>>

> How sad is that? If something was worth buying, and brought pleasure
> and good service to you.. what is the point of just replacing it?

You get emotionally attached to a lot of things, do you?

Message has been deleted

Mark Thorson

Jan 22, 2007, 12:37:10 AM1/22/07
Serene wrote:

> I don't see the use of getting a new table when
> the one we got free on Freecycle three years ago still does a
> fine job of keeping our dishes off the floor (or our laps).

That paradigm is doomed. eBay now assigns a value
to even the most trivial things. Stuff you couldn't
give away for fifty cents at a garage sale now ends
up in the hands of a collector on the other side of
continent for several buck plus several more bucks
shipping. And he thinks he's getting a GREAT deal.

I oughta know. I loaded trash bins with stuff now
worth thousands of dollars. And spent that much
myself buying knick-knacks and what appeared to be
junk to the untrained eye. My most recent acquisition
are 30 unused in-original-packaging wire brushes
used as electrical contacts in IBM punched card
readers.

Crazy Cat Guy

Jan 22, 2007, 12:37:24 AM1/22/07
It was in poor taste that you took those things from them. Very tacky and
very rude. If those things were so important to you, why didn't you get
them before? You were simply jealous of them and wanted to be vengeful.
You need to get over your anger and move on, dude. And I hope that lunch
gave you indigestion.

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in message
> Had the oddest lunch today. My ex and his boyfriend wanted me to come
> over
> and see their new Scottish Terrier. The ex and I had 2 of them which I
> got
> custody of in the break up some 20 years ago. We were together for 10
> years. I met Steven a couple of years after that.
>
> Anyway they served lunch. I was very tense and I think that is why I
> could
> not taste much of anything. The lunch menu was:
>
> Romaine lettuce with a Caesar dressing
> Thin slices of pan fried rib eye steak
> Garlic mashed
> Creamed spinach
>
> I passed on the German chocolate cake for dessert. It was strange walking
> into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own 1/2 of. I
> made him give me back my Lladro collection before I left along with one of
> my vases that he took with him :o)
>
> Still don't know why they called and invited me over. I went out of
> curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> "On the runway of life, you never know what's coming off next!"
> ~Arthur Kopit

Mark Thorson

Jan 22, 2007, 12:40:33 AM1/22/07
Crazy Cat Guy wrote:

> It was in poor taste that you took those things from them.
> Very tacky and very rude.

As compared to top-posting?

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 12:36:11 AM1/22/07
Serene <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote in

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:19:18 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture
>>> from 20 years ago, too.
>>
>>I have _all_ of the same furniture from 25 years ago
>
> I was fifteen years old twenty-five years ago, but while I don't have
> much stuff, the stuff I do have is usually gotten used, then used
> until it's either used up or no longer useful to us, at which point
> it's usually freecycled. I don't see the use of getting a new table
> when the one we got free on Freecycle three years ago still does a
> fine job of keeping our dishes off the floor (or our laps).
>
> Serene

LOL!!! If something is to big to cart to the local community center, I
use Freecycle as well :-)

Serene

Jan 22, 2007, 1:14:11 AM1/22/07
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:37:10 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
wrote:

>Serene wrote:

>> I don't see the use of getting a new table when
>> the one we got free on Freecycle three years ago still does a
>> fine job of keeping our dishes off the floor (or our laps).
>
>That paradigm is doomed. eBay now assigns a value
>to even the most trivial things.

Freecycle assigns a value to everything, too -- FREE. :-) For years,
I've been giving and getting stuff. Done with a book or ten that I
don't want, and don't want to take the trouble to sell on eBay? I
give them to someone who wants them.

Today, I got rid of a big hamper full of perfectly good clothes that
are just too big on me, so they weren't going to get worn -- now some
perfectly nice woman in my town will be wearing them, and they didn't
cost her hundreds of dollars.

The things in my house that I got from Freecycle include my table, my
computer desk, and almost all my houseplants, indoors and out. May
Freecycle live forever.

-L.

Jan 22, 2007, 3:11:51 AM1/22/07

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Had the oddest lunch today. My ex and his boyfriend wanted me to come over
> and see their new Scottish Terrier. The ex and I had 2 of them which I got
> custody of in the break up some 20 years ago. We were together for 10
> years. I met Steven a couple of years after that.
>
> Anyway they served lunch. I was very tense and I think that is why I could
> not taste much of anything. The lunch menu was:
>
> Romaine lettuce with a Caesar dressing
> Thin slices of pan fried rib eye steak
> Garlic mashed
> Creamed spinach
>
> I passed on the German chocolate cake for dessert. It was strange walking
> into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own 1/2 of. I
> made him give me back my Lladro collection before I left along with one of
> my vases that he took with him :o)
>
> Still don't know why they called and invited me over. I went out of
> curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.

Is it possible that he's in therapy? He may have been counseled to do
so.

OTOH, maybe he just wanted to show you his new dog, knowing that you
like them, and had been sick recently. Maybe he thought it would cheer
you up. An olive branch sort of gesture, possibly, too.

I find it a bit odd that you took things he had for 20 years post
break-up, even if they were yours. Was he cool with that?

Either way, I'd just write it off an move on. You're happier now
without him, and he has his own SO, so all's well that ends well. I
know many people keep good relationships with their exes - I tended to
sever the tie and never see the guy again. Much cleaner that way.

At least the meal sounded ok. ;)

-L.

Goomba38

Jan 22, 2007, 3:20:52 AM1/22/07
PeterL wrote:

> You get emotionally attached to a lot of things, do you?

yup, some stuff most certainly. And I don't see any problems in that.
Buying and replacing just for the sake of buying and replacing hold no
attraction to me.
There is that element of old money shabby versus new money glitz to be
considered. If you feel you need to shop to affirm yourself, go for it.
My mother taught me it is better to buy one good piece of furniture than
a room full of schlock. Appliances should last longer than a few years,
assuming one buys well to begin with.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 3:45:48 AM1/22/07

> PeterL wrote:
>
>> You get emotionally attached to a lot of things, do you?
>>
> yup, some stuff most certainly. And I don't see any problems in that.

I do.

> Buying and replacing just for the sake of buying and replacing hold no
> attraction to me.

It is not done just for the sake of it.

> There is that element of old money shabby versus new money glitz to be
> considered.

If you like living in a house full of shabby stuff, that's your
perogative.

>If you feel you need to shop to affirm yourself, go for it.

Why do you assume that things are done as an affirmation of ones self??

Is it self projection on your part?

> My mother taught me it is better to buy one good piece of furniture
than
> a room full of schlock.

Not having ever bought 'shlock', I don't know.

But one item that we just bought is a new matress for the guest room.
It's worth approx $3,200 and is supposed to last 10 years, so it will be
staying put for quite a while. There maybe a couple of new beds put in
under it, but it'll still be there.

>Appliances should last longer than a few years,
> assuming one buys well to begin with.

Which one does. But then one gets bored with things and likes to change.

I have a toaster that works perfectly fine, and has done so for a couple
of years now. But I want a new one. I can do it, so I will.

Being an ex-soldier, we used to move a lot. No use having too much
'stuff' when all you have to do is pack it up and unpack at the other
end, sometimes as often as once a year. But usually every 2 years. The
larger items got sold on posting, and new stuff was bought to go into
the 'new' house.

Goomba38

Jan 22, 2007, 4:24:36 AM1/22/07
PeterL wrote:

> Being an ex-soldier, we used to move a lot. No use having too much
> 'stuff' when all you have to do is pack it up and unpack at the other
> end, sometimes as often as once a year. But usually every 2 years. The
> larger items got sold on posting, and new stuff was bought to go into
> the 'new' house.

Note that you're not the only ex-soldier posting here. My furniture made
the crossing a few times, and some spent years in storage before we saw
it again because of various postings. The piano my husband learned to
play on after his mother as a child learned to play on it holds some
sentimental value. The ivory keys are impossible to come by on new
pianos. So I'd say I'm better off keeping this old one instead of some
new one. Her "shabbiness of age" only improves her value, both emotional
and financial.

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 22, 2007, 5:38:02 AM1/22/07
Peter wrote:

> Being an ex-soldier, we used to move a lot. No use having too much
> 'stuff' when all you have to do is pack it up and unpack at the other
> end, sometimes as often as once a year. But usually every 2 years. The
> larger items got sold on posting, and new stuff was bought to go into
> the 'new' house.

You certainly seem to tie a lot of your lifestyle choices to your military
service. Odd, since you only served for 15 years at most, and you've been
disqualified from military service for 17 years. Most people would have
moved beyond that by now. I know I have.

Bob

Gregory Morrow

Jan 22, 2007, 5:51:55 AM1/22/07

aem whinges:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > [snip]
> > It's a really long story but it's an extremely ugly story.
> >
> Just wondering -- is there now no difference between a newsgroup and
> your blog? -aem

FOAD and STFU...in any case no one is forcing you to read anyone else's
posts.

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Jan 22, 2007, 5:58:37 AM1/22/07

PeterL wrote:

You referring to your wife or your wife's *vibrator*...???

--
Best
Greg

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 7:56:43 AM1/22/07

> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> "PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message
>>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote in

>>> He still has the *same* furniture that he had 20 *years* ago????
>>>

>>> That's sad!!
>>> Peter Lucas
>>

>> Why? Some people stretch the budget a bit to get furniture that stands
>> the test of time, both in terms of style and durability.
>>

> Styles and fashions change year to year.
> --
> Peter Lucas

What magazines TELL you is what changes each year. Furniture styles do not
change much, if at all. And appliances? They don't even fit into the style &
fashion categories, unless you have a refrigerator (for instance) that
ancient.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 8:11:51 AM1/22/07

>> Why replace appliances every couple of years?
>

> Some wear out from constant use, others just need to be updated.
> --
> Peter Lucas

I know you're causing a shiny or colorful object to traverse an aqueous
solution in hopes of tantalizing a pelagic volunteer into considering said
object a comestible, but I'll play anyway. so, two questions:

1) What is "constant use"? How many hours per week for a dishwasher or
stove?

2) "Need to be updated": Can you provide links to at least one actual
appliance that you recently purchased, which needed to be updated?

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 8:20:00 AM1/22/07
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtu...@die-spammer.biz> wrote in

> Peter wrote:
>
>> Being an ex-soldier, we used to move a lot. No use having too much
>> 'stuff' when all you have to do is pack it up and unpack at the other
>> end, sometimes as often as once a year. But usually every 2 years.
>> The larger items got sold on posting, and new stuff was bought to go
>> into the 'new' house.
>

> You certainly seem to tie a lot of your lifestyle choices to your
> military service.

That's a rather broad assumption from you. "Tie a *lot* of my lifestyle
choices"??? Show some proof.

I learnt not to get emotionally attached to bits of wood and fabric.
Seems a lot here haven't been able to let go of anything.

Apart from that, it was an anecdotal reflection, something which you
aren't adverse to doing now and then. Seems you're allowed to, but no-
one else is, hey?

>Odd, since you only served for 15 years at most, and
> you've been disqualified from military service for 17 years.

Another dumbass assumption. There was no "disqualification".
Unless you know what you're talking about concerning the Australian
Army, you'd best just shut your mouth, so you don't appear to be more of
a dumbass than you already show yourself to be.

>Most
> people would have moved beyond that by now. I know I have.

Well, give yourself a pat on the back. Seems you enjoy doing that.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 8:21:32 AM1/22/07
"Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote in

>> > Why replace appliances every couple of years?
>> >

>> Some wear out from constant use, others just need to be updated.
>

> You referring to your wife or your wife's *vibrator*...???

I'd expect nothing of any intelligence to come from some moron with the
name of morrow.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 8:46:17 AM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Faaaaaaark me!! Seems quite a few of you are getting all bent out of
shape because I choose to change things every now and then.

Build a bridge and get over it!!

But, just FYI....... appliances *do* fit into style and fashion
catagories. Otherwise everything would be plain old white in colour.

And as for furniture styles not changing much......... I don't know what
backwater you live in, but you need to get out to the 'big smoke' a lot
more.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 8:59:25 AM1/22/07

> "PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message
>
>>> Why replace appliances every couple of years?
>>

>> Some wear out from constant use, others just need to be updated.
>> --
>> Peter Lucas
>
> I know you're causing a shiny or colorful object to traverse an
> aqueous solution in hopes of tantalizing a pelagic volunteer into
> considering said object a comestible,

Not at all. I made a statement and it seems just about everyone on here
is getting all bent out of shape and getting their knickers in a twist
over it!!

Why??

>but I'll play anyway. so, two
> questions:
>
> 1) What is "constant use"? How many hours per week for a dishwasher or
> stove?

AS I don't have a log book for my dishwasher or stove, I'll just say
"What don't you understand about the term 'constant use'?"

The dishwasher is used 6 days out of 7. The stove is used daily.

> 2) "Need to be updated": Can you provide links to at least one actual
> appliance that you recently purchased, which needed to be updated?

There's several.

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/product_details.cfm?rec_id=229
&sec_id=11

http://tinyurl.com/3bdffn

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/product_details.cfm?rec_id=562
&sec_id=11

http://tinyurl.com/3ckjec

You already know about my coffee machine.

The toaster is about to be updated, along with the electric jug, and
maybe a new fangled Iron as well.

The previous items that these replaced were still in good working order,
and are residing in homes where they are still being used.

Now, please explain why some people on here are so bent out of shape
because I choose to change things in my house every once in awhile.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 9:07:09 AM1/22/07
"PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message

Earlier, you said "every couple of years"! At least to me, that's not the
same as "every now and then", a phrase whose definition varies with what is
being discussed. I buy smoked salmon "every now and then", which means "when
I remember, because it's not a mainstay of the menus here". Or, about every
5 weeks.

> Build a bridge and get over it!!
>
> But, just FYI....... appliances *do* fit into style and fashion
> catagories. Otherwise everything would be plain old white in colour.
>
> And as for furniture styles not changing much......... I don't know what
> backwater you live in, but you need to get out to the 'big smoke' a lot
> more.

> Peter Lucas

You must be quite wealthy. Here, a well-made sofa will sell for at least
$1200-$1500, and that's with the least expensive fabrics. I don't know what
resale value is for a two year old sofa, but no matter. It seems crazy to
get rid of it if it's clean and structurally sound.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 9:08:06 AM1/22/07

> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> "PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message

>>> Some wear out from constant use, others just need to be updated.
>>> --
>>> Peter Lucas
>>
>> I know you're causing a shiny or colorful object to traverse an
>> aqueous solution in hopes of tantalizing a pelagic volunteer into
>> considering said object a comestible,
>

> Not at all. I made a statement and it seems just about everyone on here
> is getting all bent out of shape and getting their knickers in a twist
> over it!!
>
> Why??

I'm not bent out of shape. I'm an anthropologist at heart, and this seems as
odd as cannibalism, so I'm curious. I've got a Cuisinart blender that's 6
years old, gets used once a week, and looks & works as good as new. Why
would I want to get a new one? Other than liquid-proof keypads, there have
been no significant advances in blender technology in the past 20 years.

Message has been deleted

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 9:15:20 AM1/22/07
> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com>

>> What magazines TELL you is what changes each year. Furniture styles do
>> not change much, if at all. And appliances? They don't even fit into
>> the style & fashion categories, unless you have a refrigerator (for
>> instance) that ancient.
>
> I do change fabric on my upholstered furniture. I've rehupolstered the
> chair seats in the dining room several times after different moves so the
> seat cushions blend with the decor. As for the wood furniture, we've had
> all of it for decades. Around here the accents are updated now and then,
> cushions, lamps etc. but for the most part it stays the same except for
> different colors and things.
>
> When we redo the kitchen it will be ecclectic also. Our house was built in
> 1952 in a contemporary style but over the years the previous owners added
> some really traditional touches which make the home very ecclectic and
> "horsey." Our garage doors were custom made. They have slats and slide
> sideways instead of up and down. Adds a very unique look to the outside
> of
> our home. Sooo... I suppose we don't really stay in with the style and
> fashions of today. Well, except with my clothes ;)
>
> Michael

Still going with the $5 million dollar light in the kitchen? :-)

Melba's Jammin'

Jan 22, 2007, 9:24:03 AM1/22/07
In article <Xns98BFAC66522BBzj...@69.28.186.121>,

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

> Had the oddest lunch today. My ex and his boyfriend wanted me to come over
> and see their new Scottish Terrier. The ex and I had 2 of them which I got
> custody of in the break up some 20 years ago. We were together for 10
> years. I met Steven a couple of years after that.
>
> Anyway they served lunch. I was very tense and I think that is why I could
> not taste much of anything. The lunch menu was:
>
> Romaine lettuce with a Caesar dressing
> Thin slices of pan fried rib eye steak
> Garlic mashed
> Creamed spinach
>

> I passed on the German chocolate cake for dessert. It was strange walking

> into their condo and seeing all of the furniture I used to own 1/2 of. I
> made him give me back my Lladro collection before I left along with one of
> my vases that he took with him :o)
>
> Still don't know why they called and invited me over. I went out of
> curiosity and wish I had not gone at all.
>

> Michael

Well, *I* think he wanted a threesome and lunch was foreplay. Wanted to
feel out out (in a manner of speaking). And *creamed* spinach? Sounds
more than a little kinky to me.
I should think the mashed garlic would be kind of off-putting and maybe
cause some gastric distress in any quantity especially if not roasted or
something ­ you don't say how it was prepared.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic

Message has been deleted

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 9:32:42 AM1/22/07
> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com>

>> Still going with the $5 million dollar light in the kitchen? :-)
>
> No... I'm glad you mentioned that ;) (5 mil my ass ;) I found a fixture
> that is very similar to the one I had picked out, at about 1/2 the price.
> I am pleased and will most likely purchase it sometime this week. Also
> with
> the refrigerator. Our old avocado monster finally croaked a few months
> back. We bought an inexpensive one until the remodel is started and the
> original plan was that it will go into the basement. I had a big side by
> side picked out that I really wanted. I've discovered I don't really care
> for the side by sides and a side by side will cut out some cabinet space
> that I want. I think I'll just keep the inexpensive fridge in the kitchen
> during the remodel and forget about the side by side. I really like the
> fridge we have now and it seems like there is a lot of room in it. I am
> really pleased with it considering it was only about $600 including tax
> but
> not delivery.

> Michael
> --
> "On the runway of life, you never know what's coming off next!"
> ~Arthur Kopit

A friend of mine has a two year old side-by-side that's being shown the door
soon. He says "They're great if you don't like to cook or eat." Obviously,
without model numbers & measurements, this is a vague statement, but I've
seen his refrigerator. It's a travesty. Finding anything is like trying to
walk to a kid's bedroom after a long day of Lego construction. Painful.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 9:40:38 AM1/22/07

>> Faaaaaaark me!! Seems quite a few of you are getting all bent out of
>> shape because I choose to change things every now and then.
>
> Earlier, you said "every couple of years"! At least to me, that's not
> the same as "every now and then", a phrase whose definition varies
> with what is being discussed. I buy smoked salmon "every now and
> then", which means "when I remember, because it's not a mainstay of
> the menus here". Or, about every 5 weeks.

Ok, I'll have to remember that you're a pedant.

You still haven't given a reason why you and others are getting all bent
out of shape.

>> Build a bridge and get over it!!
>>
>> But, just FYI....... appliances *do* fit into style and fashion
>> catagories. Otherwise everything would be plain old white in colour.
>>
>> And as for furniture styles not changing much......... I don't know
>> what backwater you live in, but you need to get out to the 'big
>> smoke' a lot more.
>> Peter Lucas
>
> You must be quite wealthy.

There's richer people than us. We are a DINK family. (Double Income No
Kids)
When the last of the kids left home, we gave them lounge suites,
fridges, freezers, TV's, desks, chairs, BBQ's, kitchen appliances etc,
etc.

They'd been using them for years anyway........ and we got new stuff for
ourselves :-)

>Here, a well-made sofa will sell for at
> least $1200-$1500, and that's with the least expensive fabrics.

The one I saw recently that caught my eye is this one......

http://www.superamart.com/DisplayCatalogue.php?CatID=24&PageNum=1

I'll get the Red Chilli. *If* it's comfortable.

I tested about 20 different couches last time, before I decided on the
one we have at the moment.

> don't know what resale value is for a two year old sofa, but no
> matter. It seems crazy to get rid of it if it's clean and structurally
> sound.

Yes it's clean and sound, but I'm over it.

We got it because it has *lots* of space on it, but we've found that
when we have enough people over to fill it, we never end up sitting on
it. We are usually having too much fun at the dining room table. Or
sitting outside on the deck, catching the breeze and looking at the
water.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 9:43:17 AM1/22/07

> The one I saw recently that caught my eye is this one......
>
> http://www.superamart.com/DisplayCatalogue.php?CatID=24&PageNum=1

Is a significant amount of furniture built in Australia, or is it largely
imported? If the latter, from where?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 9:53:29 AM1/22/07

> "PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>
>>> "PeterL" <inbr...@home.oz> wrote in message

>>> I know you're causing a shiny or colorful object to traverse an
>>> aqueous solution in hopes of tantalizing a pelagic volunteer into
>>> considering said object a comestible,
>>

>> Not at all. I made a statement and it seems just about everyone on
>> here is getting all bent out of shape and getting their knickers in a
>> twist over it!!
>>
>> Why??
>
> I'm not bent out of shape.

LOL!! Unlike some of your compatriots!!

>I'm an anthropologist at heart, and this
> seems as odd as cannibalism, so I'm curious. I've got a Cuisinart
> blender that's 6 years old, gets used once a week, and looks & works
> as good as new. Why would I want to get a new one? Other than
> liquid-proof keypads, there have been no significant advances in
> blender technology in the past 20 years.

The technology is advancing year by year.

But, if your happy with what you've got, stick with it. Just don't
deride, degrade or ridicule someone who doesn't do as you do.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 10:02:42 AM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

For the most of it, I wouldn't have a clue.

All the stuff I buy, I make sure it has a "Made in Australia" tag on it.

Mr Libido Incognito

Jan 22, 2007, 10:07:30 AM1/22/07
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote on 22 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> I'd have done a brunch
> something or other with them, eggs of some kind with some type of fried
> potato and maybe some biscuits or toast. I love thin rib eye for a good
> "steak 'n egg" style breakfast.

I like rib eye as a open faced steak sandwhich.

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 10:23:21 AM1/22/07
> Peter Lucas

WHAT technology? Show me.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 5:09:49 PM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:JF4th.1056
$B25...@news01.roc.ny:

>>> liquid-proof keypads, there have been no significant advances in
>>> blender technology in the past 20 years.
>>

>> The technology is advancing year by year.
>>
>> Peter Lucas
>

> WHAT technology? Show me.

For a start, we now have a blender that has specific 'ribs' on the
inside of the glass bowl and a blade action that makes the ingredients
continually 'recycle' onto the blades.

Ever had one of those mixes in the blender that starts to blend, but
then sticks up the sides of the bowl?? Not any more.

And if you can't see the advancements in technology in *everything* over
the years, me showing you bits and pieces of proof is not going to
change your mind.

Curly Sue

Jan 22, 2007, 5:55:41 PM1/22/07
On 22 Jan 2007 04:21:48 GMT, PeterL <inbr...@home.oz> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> "Mr Libido Incognito" <N...@vaild.null> wrote
>>
>>> PeterL wrote on 21 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

>>> Apparently he didn't move on...possibly looking for some sort of
>>> closure?
>>
>> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture from 20 years
>> ago, too.
>>

>I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.
>
>Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm looking
>at replacing it :-)
>
>The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
>pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.

>--
>Peter Lucas
>Brisbane
>Australia

What? You ranted about Americans who put out their trash twice a
week, yet you buy new appliances every two years and furniture every
10 because they need to be "updated?" Tend to your own garden!

Sue(tm)

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 5:59:54 PM1/22/07
"Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

>>The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
>>pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.
>
>>--
>>Peter Lucas
>>Brisbane
>>Australia
>>

> What? You ranted about Americans who put out their trash twice a
> week, yet you buy new appliances every two years and furniture every
> 10 because they need to be "updated?" Tend to your own garden!
>
> Sue(tm)

Uh oh. An unexpected weapon of mass destruction: Someone with a memory that
goes back to last week. Everybody hide! :-)

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 6:50:28 PM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Too bad her "memory" wouldn't allow her to get her facts straight before
mouthing off.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/videos/poster_girl.shtml

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 6:49:23 PM1/22/07
address...@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote in news:45b53f1b.2898804
@news-server.nyc.rr.com:

> On 22 Jan 2007 04:21:48 GMT, PeterL <inbr...@home.oz> wrote:
>
>>"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in
>>

>>> "Mr Libido Incognito" <N...@vaild.null> wrote

>>> That makes me laugh. I have a lot of the same furniture from 20
years
>>> ago, too.
>>>

>>I manage to change everything (large) about every 8-10 years.
>>
>>Although, I've had this couch for just over 2 years now, and I'm
looking
>>at replacing it :-)
>>
>>The only "old" stuff I have is in the kitchen..... and then it's just
>>pans, cookware etc. Appliances are all replaced every couple of years.
>

> What? You ranted about Americans who put out their trash twice a
> week, yet you buy new appliances every two years and furniture every
> 10 because they need to be "updated?" Tend to your own garden!

[Sigh!!]....... obviously, you didn't bother to take the time to read
what was posted, otherwise you would have seen that I stated quite
clearly that the 'old' stuff' is either given away to family/friends/or
the local community center to be distributed to peope who need it.

In essence....... I recycle my 'old' appliances/furniture. It is not
thrown in the garbage.

So please, in future, before *you* start to rant, get your facts
straight.

And I really don't see the correllation between me changing household
appliances every couple of years, and furniture every 10 to you people
throwing out 2 loads of garbage every *week*!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/videos/poster_girl.shtml

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 7:02:21 PM1/22/07

> "JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> "Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> What? You ranted about Americans who put out their trash twice a
>>> week, yet you buy new appliances every two years and furniture every
>>> 10 because they need to be "updated?" Tend to your own garden!
>>>
>>> Sue(tm)
>>

>> Uh oh. An unexpected weapon of mass destruction: Someone with a memory
>> that goes back to last week. Everybody hide! :-)
>>

> Too bad her "memory" wouldn't allow her to get her facts straight before
> mouthing off.
> --
> Peter Lucas

I know you said that you donate a lot of your used stuff, so in theory, it's
not wasted, but consider this: It takes resources to make everything.
Manufacturing produces waste. Reduce, reuse, recycle. You're not reducing.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 7:13:04 PM1/22/07
"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

How many times a week does your garbage get picked up???

And are your bins full each time??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/videos/poster_girl.shtml

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 22, 2007, 7:49:40 PM1/22/07
> Peter Lucas

The truck comes by once a week. Every 3rd week, the can contains perhaps one
bag. Every 2nd week, 2 bags. Rarely more than that, except during the spring
and autumn cleanups, when I stuff the can with organic matter, unbagged.
Bagging that stuff makes no sense.

Message has been deleted

Curly Sue

Jan 22, 2007, 7:55:55 PM1/22/07

I did read that you give the stuff away. I wasn't impressed.

>In essence....... I recycle my 'old' appliances/furniture. It is not
>thrown in the garbage.

You are buying 5 sets of appliances in 10 years, and for what? They
are "out of style." It doesn't matter where it all goes or if it's
"recycled." It's an extreme example of purposeless consumerism.

>So please, in future, before *you* start to rant, get your facts
>straight.
>
>And I really don't see the correllation between me changing household
>appliances every couple of years, and furniture every 10 to you people
>throwing out 2 loads of garbage every *week*!!!

Of course you don't.

I agree it is different; my garbage is biodegradable. Your 5
refrigerators, 5 ranges, 5 dishwashers etc. aren't.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 8:13:24 PM1/22/07
address...@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote in news:45b55aed.10021904
@news-server.nyc.rr.com:

>>[Sigh!!]....... obviously, you didn't bother to take the time to read
>>what was posted, otherwise you would have seen that I stated quite
>>clearly that the 'old' stuff' is either given away to
family/friends/or
>>the local community center to be distributed to peope who need it.
>
> I did read that you give the stuff away. I wasn't impressed.

BFD.

>>In essence....... I recycle my 'old' appliances/furniture. It is not
>>thrown in the garbage.
>
> You are buying 5 sets of appliances in 10 years, and for what? They
> are "out of style." It doesn't matter where it all goes or if it's
> "recycled." It's an extreme example of purposeless consumerism.

You sound extremely bitter. Do you need a microwave, or a blender?

>>So please, in future, before *you* start to rant, get your facts
>>straight.
>>
>>And I really don't see the correllation between me changing household
>>appliances every couple of years, and furniture every 10 to you people
>>throwing out 2 loads of garbage every *week*!!!
>
> Of course you don't.
>
> I agree it is different; my garbage is biodegradable.

So you say.

>Your 5
> refrigerators, 5 ranges, 5 dishwashers etc. aren't.

Jeeeeeeeezus H Christ!!! Are you a *complete* moron!!

My stuff is *not* thrown out. As far as I know, appliances that I gave
away about 6 years ago are *still* working. And they saved a helluva lot
of people a helluva lot of money to boot.

So go ram your puritanical bullshit where the sun don't shine.

Curly Sue

Jan 22, 2007, 8:41:18 PM1/22/07
On 23 Jan 2007 01:13:24 GMT, PeterL <inbr...@home.oz> wrote:

>So go ram your puritanical bullshit where the sun don't shine.

Whoa, who's bitter? Some vulgarity from a guy who went on a
"puritanical" tirade about garbage a few days ago. It's really
strange that you started this by criticising others who don't switch
out their belongings every few years. As a matter of fact, you must
really despise the people who accept your out-of-style hand-me-downs.

-L.

Jan 22, 2007, 9:13:24 PM1/22/07

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> He was quite cool about it and a grandfather clock I had inherited long
> before we got together.

Ouch - that woulda hurt.

> You see, when we broke up I owned a very large 3
> bedroom condo stuffed full of antiques and collectibles. When he moved I
> took the dogs and left for a few hours. When I got back, all that was left
> was a mattress, a few sheets and blankets, 1 plate, 1 knife, 1 fork, 1
> spoon, my clothes and the dogs belongings. Oh... he left me one of the
> televisions. His justification was that since I initiated the break up he
> was entitled to everything. <shrug> I had no legal recourse either.

Damn. That's just cold! I'd want my stuff back too. I once split
from a guy and left him with everything - didn't want to see him or the
stuff ever again. I'd come home from work and find bits and pieces on
my porch almost every day for a few months, witha note to call him.
Notjob.

> > Either way, I'd just write it off an move on.
>
> I am. Reliving the old memories was hard for me yesterday. Geez was I a
> crab ;)

Hey - everybody has their days. ;)

-L.

PeterL

Jan 22, 2007, 9:11:39 PM1/22/07
address...@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote in news:45b56590.12744940
@news-server.nyc.rr.com:

> On 23 Jan 2007 01:13:24 GMT, PeterL <inbr...@home.oz> wrote:
>
>>So go ram your puritanical bullshit where the sun don't shine.
>>

> Whoa, who's bitter?

You are, quite obviously.

I'm just sick of your bullshit.

I see, from this hot air post of yours, that you have chosen to ignore
the fact that none of my old stuff is thrown on the garbage heap, like
your twice weekly garbage collections. As you've been ranting about for
the previous posts.

Good swerve away from your blatant mistake, hey?

>Some vulgarity from a guy who went on a
> "puritanical" tirade about garbage a few days ago.

Try and use your own words, OK. Copying someone elses just shows you to
be dumb.

>It's really
> strange that you started this by criticising others who don't switch
> out their belongings every few years.

Not at all. Most people I know tend to renew items after a few years. To
hear about you Yanks keeping the same stuff for 2-3 *decades* just goes
to show how hung up on stuff you really get. Either that, or you can't
afford anything else.

What's the case with you?

From your bitter attitude, I'd say you can't afford to do it.

If that's so, don't get all bitter and twisted because other people can,
and do. That just means you're petty.

>As a matter of fact, you must
> really despise the people who accept your out-of-style hand-me-downs.

Not at all. When it goes to a family that really needs it, and couldn't
afford it, I feel good about it. I like *helping* people.

You see, unlike you, I'm in a position to be able to do that. Same as my
wardrobe. I cull it every year and bag the stuff up and it usualy goes
to a group of people who are on disability pensions, who wouldn't
normally be able to afford to buy that amount of clothes, if any at all.
I also encourage our kids to do the same thing. All the stuff goes to
people who not as well off as we are.

It gives them a hand out, as well as a hand up.

I can see by your attitude that you wouldn't help *anyone*. Mores the
pity for you.

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 23, 2007, 12:10:04 AM1/23/07
PeterL wrote:

>> You certainly seem to tie a lot of your lifestyle choices to your
>> military service.
>
> That's a rather broad assumption from you. "Tie a *lot* of my lifestyle
> choices"??? Show some proof.

Ever notice your sig? Ever notice the CONSTANT references to your long-past
military service in the things you write? Yeah, I pepper my posts with
reminiscences about my Navy days, but not NEARLY to the extent that you do.
And I'm still working in direct support of military operations, side-by-side
with military personnel.

>> Odd, since you only served for 15 years at most, and
>> you've been disqualified from military service for 17 years.
>

> Another dumbass assumption. There was no "disqualification".
> Unless you know what you're talking about concerning the Australian
> Army, you'd best just shut your mouth, so you don't appear to be more of
> a dumbass than you already show yourself to be.

Looks like I hit a NERVE, there! Are you saying that your so-called
"retirement" from the Australian Army would have been available to ALL
people who served such a short time, or did you retire EARLY because of a
medical disability? If you're disabled, you're disqualified. It's that
simple. Maybe you don't LIKE the term "disqualified," but that's exactly
what it amounts to. You certainly couldn't go to war NOW, could you,
wanker? So build a bridge and get over it, bludger!

Bob

PeterL

Jan 23, 2007, 1:13:48 AM1/23/07

> PeterL wrote:
>
>>> You certainly seem to tie a lot of your lifestyle choices to your
>>> military service.
>>
>> That's a rather broad assumption from you. "Tie a *lot* of my
>> lifestyle choices"??? Show some proof.
>
> Ever notice your sig?

BFD.

I support *all* Servicemen, past and present.

You, with your pissant attitude, obviously don't. Typical.

You going to make me try and change my .sig because you don't like it,
are you?? Go and have a cry, sook. It's staying as it is.

BTW........ HTF does "Tie a lot of my lifestyle choices blah, blah,
blah" relate to my .sig?? You must have a pretty twisted imagination to
come up with that one.

>Ever notice the CONSTANT references to your
> long-past military service in the things you write?

"CONSTANT" references?? Please supply proof, otherwise you're nothing
but a whiney pissant.

>Yeah, I pepper my
> posts with reminiscences about my Navy days, but not NEARLY to the
> extent that you do.

ROFLMAO!!!

I suppose you're going to say it's in each and every post I make??!!

>And I'm still working in direct support of
> military operations, side-by-side with military personnel.

Says you.

But going by your 'over the top' comments above, that could be taken
with a pinch of shit.

>>> Odd, since you only served for 15 years at most, and
>>> you've been disqualified from military service for 17 years.
>>

>> Another dumbass assumption. There was no "disqualification".
>> Unless you know what you're talking about concerning the Australian
>> Army, you'd best just shut your mouth, so you don't appear to be more
>> of a dumbass than you already show yourself to be.
>
> Looks like I hit a NERVE, there!

Not at all. Do you see me making stupid dumbass statements about
conditions of service, and what happens to US servicemen??? No. Because
I wouldn't have a clue about them, the same as you don't a clue about
what goes on over here.

See, I said you should have shut your mouth!! Now you just look like an
even bigger dumbass than you already are.

>Are you saying that your so-called
> "retirement" from the Australian Army would have been available to ALL
> people who served such a short time,

15 years is 'such a short time', hey?? LOL!!!

But if you don' know the answer, then you're not supposed to know, so
please don't try and make any more of your dumbass assumptions, fool.

>or did you retire EARLY because
> of a medical disability?

Keep guessing. It just keeps making you look stupid :-)

>If you're disabled, you're disqualified.

That's an American term, used for US soldiers. And, it seems, one that
you seem quite well acquainted with.

>It's
> that simple. Maybe you don't LIKE the term "disqualified," but that's
> exactly what it amounts to.

Jeez, you're sure getting your nuts in a twist over this one, aren't
you?

Did you get screwed by the Navy?

>You certainly couldn't go to war NOW,
> could you, wanker? So build a bridge and get over it, bludger!

ROFLMAO!!!! Time to untwist your nuts Willi, they're starting to cut off
the blood supply to your few remaining brain cells.

So now... go away, stamp your feet, have a scream and a cry, get it all
out of your system, finish off that bottle of moonshine, and have a good
sleep. OK?

BTW........ what's with putting some words in capitals?? Is that when
the spittle starts flying out your mouth??

-L.

Jan 23, 2007, 1:37:32 AM1/23/07

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
>
> >> You certainly seem to tie a lot of your lifestyle choices to your
> >> military service.
> >
> > That's a rather broad assumption from you. "Tie a *lot* of my lifestyle
> > choices"??? Show some proof.
>
> Ever notice your sig? Ever notice the CONSTANT references to your long-past
> military service in the things you write? Yeah, I pepper my posts with
> reminiscences about my Navy days, but not NEARLY to the extent that you do.

It's his only source of self-worth. That and his skydiving.

-L.

PeterL

Jan 23, 2007, 1:50:36 AM1/23/07
"-L." <Monke...@gmail.com> wrote in

And why am I not suprised that the little monkey jumps up chattering
whenever her 'master' bids?? LOL!!!

Are you going to get upset about my .sig as well?? Do you want me to
remove my name and my .sig to appease you and your 'masters' lack of
self worth??

LOL!!! The little green eyed monster is alive and well with Little Willi
and his monkey!!

OB Food: Dinner tonight is going to be creamy lemon chicken with a
*hint* of chilli, served over pasta spirals and with steamed whole
beans, sliced carrots, some broccoli and maybe some corn, on the side.

It is loading more messages.