REC: Sheldon's Corned Beef

Damsel in dis Dress

Aug 22, 2001, 5:06:05 PM8/22/01
I'm in the process of putting Everything In The World into MasterCook
format. Thought I'd share this one with you, since it's an oft-requested
recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sheldon's Corned Beef

Recipe By :Sheldon
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef main dishes
vegetables

corned beef -- thin-cut
pickling spices
whole carrots
whole potatoes
cabbage wedges
brown sugar

Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).

Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.

First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites.

Okay, now the a ctual cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes,
again!). Add spice packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first
batch, add new pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower heat to low
simmer. Simmer aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots (whole) and
unpeeled potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add cabbage wedges.
Simmer til veggies are tender and remove. Continue simmering til corned
beef is tender yet firm; test with fork (your forking may vary).

Remove corned beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
sugar, tent loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45 minutes.

Remove corned beef from oven (now place veggies in oven to reheat). Let
corned beef rest uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife slice thinly
accross grain, and serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.

Source:
"rec.food.cooking 3/14/00"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Phantom

Grandma

Aug 22, 2001, 6:26:13 PM8/22/01
ROFL Damsel - could have sworn that everything in the world was already in
either Master Cook or Meal Master format, all of which I am busily importing
into Now You're Cooking! :)

Thanks - looks like a great recipe

Grandma

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@spam-me-not.postmark.net> wrote in message

decobabe

Aug 23, 2001, 2:07:19 AM8/23/01
Any possibility of a corning recipe?

Damsel in dis Dress

Aug 23, 2001, 5:06:18 AM8/23/01
"decobabe" <wvr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Any possibility of a corning recipe?

Your wish is my command! ;-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corned Beef

Recipe By :Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef brines/rubs/marinades

---Brining---
2 quarts water -- or more if needed
1 1/4 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons pickling spice
7 pounds beef bottom round -- trimmed of fat
---Cooking---
1 medium onion
3 whole cloves
3 cloves garlic
1 carrot -- coarsely chopped
1 celery rib -- coarsely chopped
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon peppercorns

1. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add salt and sugar, and stir to
dissolve. Stir in pickling spices. Allow to cool to room temperature,
then refrigerate until cooled to 45ºF.
2. Pour brine into a large bowl or crock and submerge the meat in it,
making sure it stays under the surface by using a heavy plate as a weight.
Refrigerate for 8 to 12 days. Stir the brine each day, and turn the beef
occasionally.
3. To cook the corned beef, remove the meat from the brine and put it in
a large pot. Cover with water and add the vegetables, bay leaves, and
peppercorns. Simmer over low heat until tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or more
if necessary.
4. Thinly slice across the grain and serve hot or cold.

Source:
"The Complete Meat Cookbook"
Copyright:
"1998 Houghton Mifflin Company"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

decobabe

Aug 23, 2001, 10:32:03 AM8/23/01
Grazie! That's one thing you just cannot get here.

> "decobabe" <wvr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Any possibility of a corning recipe?
>
> Your wish is my command! ;-)

snipped

MH

Aug 26, 2001, 9:03:48 PM8/26/01

decobabe <wvr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Grazie! That's one thing you just cannot get here.

It must be throughout Europe; they've not heard of corned beef or pastrami
in Denmark before.