Herbs & spices

Dimitri

Mar 9, 2007, 1:03:09 PM3/9/07
There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:

Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
Bay leaf
Parsley
Lemon (juice & Pepper)
Dry Mustard
Sage
Thyme
Rosemary
Cilantro
Basil
and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
mention the mixes

OK S & P too.

I kind of get into a rut -

What ones do you use regularly

What for example would you use to season green beans? Asparagus? sweet peas?
Carrots?

Dimitri

Message has been deleted

Dimitri

Mar 9, 2007, 1:34:47 PM3/9/07

"Steve Wertz" <swe...@nocluemail.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:03:09 GMT, Dimitri wrote:
>
>> What ones do you use regularly
>
> This doesn't sound like a Dimitri question...

Nice to say but we all get into habits (no not nuns) we need to break.

lol

Dimitri

Lou Decruss

Mar 9, 2007, 1:40:35 PM3/9/07
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:13:43 -0600, Steve Wertz <swe...@nocluemail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:03:09 GMT, Dimitri wrote:
>

>> What ones do you use regularly
>

>This doesn't sound like a Dimitri question...

He said he gets into a rut. Don't you? I like any thread that makes
me think "out of the box." I bore easily and like reading what other
people do. If I'm talking (typing), I'm not learning. When you were
working out your Gyros recipe I was interested because I've never used
fenugreek. And I love Kronos Gyros. So I got the fenugreek, but I
goofed and got crushed. I also thought we were moving so the good
food processor got packed and the crappy one would never be strong
enough. I dug the good one out and I'll be trying it soon. I've
never used real saffron either. Sheldon recommended it for chicken
pot pie. The saffron was shoved to the back of the drawer and
forgotten about. It's Penzeys Spanish and it's a shame it sat so
long.

Maybe a thread titled "what spice to you want to try next?" would be
good. LOL

I'll let you know how the gyros turns out. Thanks for the idea.

Lou

Serene Vannoy

Mar 9, 2007, 1:46:23 PM3/9/07
Dimitri wrote:
> There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>
> Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
> Bay leaf
> Parsley
> Lemon (juice & Pepper)
> Dry Mustard
> Sage
> Thyme
> Rosemary
> Cilantro
> Basil
> and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
> mention the mixes
>
> OK S & P too.
>
> I kind of get into a rut -
>
> What ones do you use regularly

chili powder
granulated garlic
cumin (seed and ground)
turmeric
seasoned salt
cardamom
garam masala
fines herbs
basil
paprika
mustard seed

> What for example would you use to season green beans?

A little butter, a little Frank's Red Hot.

> Asparagus?

Just butter and salt.

> sweet peas?

Cream sauce with a touch of nutmeg.

> Carrots?

Soy/ginger/garlic marinade, then roast 'em.

Serene

bsdr...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2007, 3:10:38 PM3/9/07
> Serene- Hide quoted text -

I am a Dhef and would recommend using Wine, Lemon juice or even Lime
juice and rind frokm both of the latter to bring a little difference
to your taste buds.
Thank you for the thread to add to.

TammyM

Mar 9, 2007, 4:21:41 PM3/9/07

"Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
I love to use Penzey's Trinidad Lemon Garlic Seasoning with green beans.

> Asparagus? sweet peas?
I'm pretty traditional with these

> Carrots?
Either the "Asian" treatment some have suggested, or sumac (delicious!)

TammyM

sueb

Mar 9, 2007, 4:57:28 PM3/9/07
On Mar 9, 10:03 am, "Dimitri" <Dimitr...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>
> Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
> Bay leaf
> Parsley
> Lemon (juice & Pepper)
> Dry Mustard
> Sage
> Thyme
> Rosemary
> Cilantro
> Basil
> and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
> mention the mixes
>
> OK S & P too.
>
> I kind of get into a rut -
>
> What ones do you use regularly

I use a lot of:
dill weed
garlic (fresh and garlic salt)
lemon (because I have a hyperactive tree)
paprika
basil
oregano
rosemary
cumin
coriander
ginger (dried and fresh)
cinnamon

> What for example would you use to season green beans? Asparagus? sweet peas?
> Carrots?

Green beans I usually have in a salad with tomatoes and feta with a
balsamic vinegar dressing with dill.
Asparagus - just salt and olive oil, maybe a squeeze of lemon or some
preserved lemon rind
Carrots - are rarely cooked. Last time I did, I used ginger and
orange juice.

Good questions!
Susan B.

Goomba38

Mar 9, 2007, 5:30:51 PM3/9/07
Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:13:43 -0600, Steve Wertz <swe...@nocluemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:03:09 GMT, Dimitri wrote:
>>
>>> What ones do you use regularly
>> This doesn't sound like a Dimitri question...
>
> He said he gets into a rut. Don't you?

I thought he meant it didn't sound like a Dimitri question because of
the grammar? Using "what" instead of "which" when asking the original
question.

Lou Decruss

Mar 9, 2007, 5:38:12 PM3/9/07
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:30:51 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

I'm not smart enough to catch that stuff. I just come for the food.
Thanks for the heads up. Dimitri has always impressed me as a good
cook and it never crossed my mind to question or wonder about his
writing skills. My fault. I'm embarrassed.

Lou

Emma Thackery

Mar 9, 2007, 5:42:16 PM3/9/07
In article <xjhIh.8679$re4....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,
"Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>
> Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
> Bay leaf
> Parsley
> Lemon (juice & Pepper)
> Dry Mustard
> Sage
> Thyme
> Rosemary
> Cilantro
> Basil
> and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
> mention the mixes
>
> OK S & P too. I kind of get into a rut -
>
> What ones do you use regularly

Ones I use regularly not on your list include bacon, fennel (lots of
fennel), balsamic vinegar, shallots, lemon zest, bay leaves, fennugreek,
chives, cumin, turmeric, coriander seed, tarragon, chervil, red pepper
flakes, lime juice, garlic (fresh mainly), dried red bell pepper,
Hungarian paprika (lots!), tamari, and sambal oelek. There are many
others I use less frequently like lavender, juniper berries, etc.

> What for example would you use to season green beans? Asparagus? sweet peas?
> Carrots?

I'd blanch and then stir fry the green beans with a bit of bacon and
garlic. For asparagus, a light sauce made from lemon juice whisked into
some good mayo and a little EV olive oil. Peas with chervil and butter.
Carrots glazed with lime juice, butter, honey and parsley or tarragon.

-bwg

Mar 9, 2007, 7:35:07 PM3/9/07
Dimitri wrote:
> There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>
> Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
> Bay leaf
> Parsley
> Lemon (juice & Pepper)
> Dry Mustard
> Sage
> Thyme
> Rosemary
> Cilantro
> Basil

Dried Greek oregano, dried thyme, Occasionally chubritza. You could
look it up <http://www.answers.com/topic/chubritza>. Once in a while
sage.

fresh dill, fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, fresh mint. In that order.
Must be the Bulgarian influence, again.

Cumin, coriander, cayenne, ground ancho chile, Hungarian sweet
paprika, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric, bay leaf, caraway,
fennel seed, homemade curry powder. I know I'm forgetting something
obvious.

You left out meat as a seasoning. I use it mostly for with beans, but
then almost any cured meat is game. (No not that kind of game.) When I
make red beans for red beans and rice, I'm liable to use smoked hocks
and ham and sausage altogether. (Now the writing cops are gonna come.)

> and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
> mention the mixes
>

> What for example would you use to season green beans? Asparagus? sweet peas?

Season? Green beans I tend to cooked long and slow with tomatoes,
onions and olive oil (maybe garlic, maybe not) or served cold in
vinaigrette (maybe with boiled fingerling potatoes during farmers
market season--and I'm in the mood for farmers market season right
now--and maybe with slivered raw onions and red peppers). Asparagus--
Roasted in olive oil with salt or warm with butter or cold in
vinaigrette. Sweet peas? If they're really sweet and tender I dont
want anything on them except butter, maybe a little mint once in a
blue moon.

But I'm much more likely to serve baby eggplant or okra than any of
the ones you named. I cook those similarly with tomatoes (a little
more saucy than the green beans I wrote about above), sliced onions,
garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil and. often, lamb (or goat) stew
meat (neck or breast or ribs). Sometimes I'll add a little vinegar or
lemon juice (a very little vinegar or lemon juice) to these eggplants
or okra or those green beans or the imam bayildi I didn't write about
yet at the end to bring up the flavor/acidity.

> Carrots?

Carrots? What about carrots?

> Dimitri

-bwg

sf

Mar 9, 2007, 10:38:36 PM3/9/07
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:03:09 GMT, "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>
>Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
>Bay leaf
>Parsley
>Lemon (juice & Pepper)
>Dry Mustard
>Sage
>Thyme
>Rosemary
>Cilantro
>Basil

I've got a whole refrigerator drawer that was meant to be for sodas
filled with rarely used herbs and spices. They come out for their
special occasion and go back again. Of the bunch, I think chervil is
the one I'd like to use more.

>and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
>mention the mixes
>
>OK S & P too.
>
>I kind of get into a rut -
>
>What ones do you use regularly

Thyme, granulated garlic and leaf oregano (s & p of course) are at the
top of my list.

>What for example would you use to season green beans? Asparagus? sweet peas?
>Carrots?

I like the flavor of fresh vegetables and don't do a lot to mask it.
Does that mean I'm in a rut too? :) I don't think everything on my
dinner plate needs to be highly (or even subtly) seasoned.

Green beans? I never put anything more than (salted) butter on them
unless they are part of a "dish", same for sweet peas (always petit
for me). I hear dill is traditional with peas, but it's not something
I do myself. Asparagus stands by itself for me, but I roast it (the
usual way with OO and loads of freshly chopped garlic) when I don't
want it steamed with a sauce. Again, this is not mentioning when it
is part of another dish, like stir-fried beef and asparagus.

As far as carrots go.... I mainly eat them raw. If they are cooked,
they are in some sort of pot roast, stew or soup. I've been thinking
about making some old fashioned cooked carrots that have been finished
with butter and brown sugar or a touch of honey. Not sure if I'd put
an herb (or which one) on carrots though. This is what comes from
having a picky eater for a mother.... I never ate cooked carrots as a
"vegetable" as a child.

--
See return address to reply by email

Mr Libido Incognito

Mar 10, 2007, 7:37:34 AM3/10/07
wrote on 09 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Green beans?

Sesame seeds or sliced almonds or bacon bits.

Mr Libido Incognito

Mar 10, 2007, 7:39:01 AM3/10/07
wrote on 09 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> carrots

Dill or toasted minced dried onions or a honey mustard sauce

Melba's Jammin'

Mar 10, 2007, 8:36:40 AM3/10/07
In article <xjhIh.8679$re4....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,
"Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> What ones do you use regularly
>
> What for example would you use to season green beans?

Butter and black pepper. Maybe bacon. Rob likes vinegar on his.

> Asparagus?

Butter. I don't believe in gilding a lily.

> sweet peas?

Butter and a bit of black pepper, maybe.

> Carrots?

Butter. Dill weed.

One of the easiest recipes I have is to julienne or coarsely shred a
couple carrots and a zucchini; sprinkle with dillweed and dot with a
little butter. Combine, cover, and nuke for a minute or two. Pretty
good and adds color to a plate if that's a big need.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007

Nancy Young

Mar 10, 2007, 8:39:32 AM3/10/07

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote

> "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>> What ones do you use regularly
>>
>> What for example would you use to season green beans?
>
> Butter and black pepper. Maybe bacon. Rob likes vinegar on his.

For me it's garlic garlic garlic.

>> Carrots?
>
> Butter. Dill weed.
>
> One of the easiest recipes I have is to julienne or coarsely shred a
> couple carrots and a zucchini; sprinkle with dillweed and dot with a
> little butter. Combine, cover, and nuke for a minute or two. Pretty
> good and adds color to a plate if that's a big need.

You just reminded me ... the last time I made pot roast I got
the Big Bag because I wanted Big Carrots. Now I have a lot
left and need to do something with them. I'll probably blanch
some and freeze them. Thanks for this recipe idea.

nancy

isw

Mar 10, 2007, 2:58:47 PM3/10/07
In article <barbschaller-940F...@news.iphouse.com>,

Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <xjhIh.8679$re4....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,
> "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > What ones do you use regularly
> >
> > What for example would you use to season green beans?
>
> Butter and black pepper. Maybe bacon. Rob likes vinegar on his.
>
> > Asparagus?
>
> Butter. I don't believe in gilding a lily.
>
> > sweet peas?
>
> Butter and a bit of black pepper, maybe.
>
> > Carrots?
>
> Butter. Dill weed.

Cardamom is the "magic seasoning" for carrots, IMO. Doesn't take much.

Isaac

Message has been deleted

Emma Thackery

Mar 11, 2007, 12:30:11 AM3/11/07

I had this pork loin sitting in the fridge when I saw the Herbs & Spices
thread and got to thinking about those juniper berries in my pantry that
I picked myself. Also had some gluten free smoked sausage, bacon and
carrots. Off I went to the grocery for some sauerkraut. Also found a
couple bottles of Jacob's Creek Reisling which I never had before.
Crisp, fruity, very nice for the table. Threw it all together and had a
nice Choucroute for dinner. Great comfort food. Oh boy it was so good.
Many thanks to Dmitri for giving me the idea.

The only missing thing was the spaetzle. I used to always have those
with Choucroute but I haven't made the gluten free kind yet (a fear of
terrible disappointment). I really do need to grapple with that and
give it a try.

Emma

Victor Sack

Mar 11, 2007, 5:10:07 PM3/11/07
Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:

This sounds very tasty, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the whole mix-up.
It grates a bit, I have to say...

"Choucroute" is an Alsatian (and generally French term) which just means
"sauerkraut". It is not, per se, a dish, but usually just an
ingredient.

The dish you appear to have in mind is "choucroute garni" or "à
l'alsacienne", "garnished sauerkraut", a simple, traditional Alsatian
dish, which is just cooked sauerkraut served with mostly separately
prepared garnishes, usually meaty or fishy ones, as the case may be.

It is indeed very often accompanied by some Alsatian wine, often enough
a Riesling. However, Alsatian wines, Riesling not excluded, have a
taste all of their own. While there are some very good Australian
Rieslings, none of them, in my experience, remotely resemble any
Alsatian ones, Jacob's Creek least of all. I would never even consider
any German Rieslings, made practically in the neighbourhood, but which
also invariably taste totally different, for this apparently
particularly Alsatian dish.

Spätzle is a Swabian pasta. Even though it is also produced just across
the border, it has very little to do with anything edible in Alsace.

There is a very similar - on paper - German dish, often called
Schlachtplatte (butcher's platter) or something similar. However, the
taste of sauerkraut is different, garnishes are often different, the
wine, if served at all (beer being usual), has a different taste, and
any starchy accompaniments (not usually present in the Alsatian dish)
are likely to be mashed or roasted potatoes.

If one has tried this dish in Alsace even once, all of the above becomes
immediately apparent.

Victor

Felice Friese

Mar 11, 2007, 6:03:14 PM3/11/07

"Victor Sack" <azaz...@koroviev.de> wrote in message
<snip>

> "Choucroute" is an Alsatian (and generally French term) which just means
> "sauerkraut". It is not, per se, a dish, but usually just an
> ingredient.
>
> The dish you appear to have in mind is "choucroute garni" or "à
> l'alsacienne", "garnished sauerkraut", a simple, traditional Alsatian
> dish, which is just cooked sauerkraut served with mostly separately
> prepared garnishes, usually meaty or fishy ones, as the case may be.

Speaking of ... Brasserie Jo at the Colonnade Hotel in Boston serves a
choucroute garni that will knock your socks off. I can't recommend it too
highly, but bring your best appetite.

Felice

Emma Thackery

Mar 12, 2007, 3:23:58 AM3/12/07
In article <1hust3b.1gjynji1kesb8oN%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:
>
> > I had this pork loin sitting in the fridge when I saw the Herbs & Spices
> > thread and got to thinking about those juniper berries in my pantry that
> > I picked myself. Also had some gluten free smoked sausage, bacon and
> > carrots. Off I went to the grocery for some sauerkraut. Also found a
> > couple bottles of Jacob's Creek Reisling which I never had before.
> > Crisp, fruity, very nice for the table. Threw it all together and had a
> > nice Choucroute for dinner. Great comfort food. Oh boy it was so good.
> > Many thanks to Dmitri for giving me the idea.
> >
> > The only missing thing was the spaetzle. I used to always have those
> > with Choucroute but I haven't made the gluten free kind yet (a fear of
> > terrible disappointment). I really do need to grapple with that and
> > give it a try.
>
> This sounds very tasty, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the whole mix-up.
> It grates a bit, I have to say...
>
> "Choucroute" is an Alsatian (and generally French term) which just means
> "sauerkraut". It is not, per se, a dish, but usually just an
> ingredient.

Hope you recover from your overwhelmedness. No need to feel mixed up
either. :) Some think Choucroute descends from the German surkrut and
it is often used in short form for choucroute garnie just like "chili"
for Chile con Carne. I've been eating it all my life..... off and on of
course. ;) My grandmother, whose family hailed from Alsace and
Bretagne, taught me to make it with various meats, usually charcuterie.
She also used fresh cuts of pork as well but always in combination with
smoked meats. I also like to include weisswurst and knackwurst in mine
but I have trouble finding these locally anymore. This is peasant
comfort food at its best and the meats are cooked right in the kraut
with 3-4 cups of fruity white wine, usually Riesling in a 5-7 qt pot.
I've also used Pinot Grigio and Gewurtztrameiner but I prefer Riesling
in this fare. Drink what you will on the side.

> The dish you appear to have in mind is "choucroute garni" or "à
> l'alsacienne", "garnished sauerkraut", a simple, traditional Alsatian
> dish, which is just cooked sauerkraut served with mostly separately
> prepared garnishes, usually meaty or fishy ones, as the case may be.
>
> It is indeed very often accompanied by some Alsatian wine, often enough
> a Riesling. However, Alsatian wines, Riesling not excluded, have a
> taste all of their own. While there are some very good Australian
> Rieslings, none of them, in my experience, remotely resemble any
> Alsatian ones, Jacob's Creek least of all. I would never even consider
> any German Rieslings, made practically in the neighbourhood, but which
> also invariably taste totally different, for this apparently
> particularly Alsatian dish.

Frankly, I'm not fond of either Rieslings or Gewurtztrameiners from
Alsace, though the latter are touted to be superior. I find them
minerally but feel free to take another stab my palate if it somehow
comforts you. :D We drink mostly reds so I merely dabble in whites and
see no need to be pretentious about them or any other wines. I confess
a weakness for brut but would never waste it on Choucroute.

> Spätzle is a Swabian pasta. Even though it is also produced just across
> the border, it has very little to do with anything edible in Alsace.

Of course, no one said that it did. We cherish diversity and recommend
it highly. :) Spaetzle is a good egg pasta that pairs well with
Choucroute.

[...]

Steve Pope

Mar 12, 2007, 3:22:32 AM3/12/07
Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:

>Frankly, I'm not fond of either Rieslings or Gewurtztrameiners from
>Alsace, though the latter are touted to be superior. I find them
>minerally but feel free to take another stab my palate if it somehow
>comforts you. :D

Alsace is like many other French wine regions; one has to drink
through a lot of wines before finding the few that are outstanding.
The best Alsatians I've had were probably pinot blancs.

Mineral content is probably considered a plus (in certainly is
in Burgundy).

S.

Kate Connally

Mar 12, 2007, 4:25:26 PM3/12/07
Dimitri wrote:

> There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>
> Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
> Bay leaf
> Parsley
> Lemon (juice & Pepper)
> Dry Mustard
> Sage
> Thyme
> Rosemary
> Cilantro
> Basil
> and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not to
> mention the mixes
>
> OK S & P too.

Looks like mostly herbs in your list. I use all of those
except cilantro and caraway. Garlic. Mint.

As for the spices I use cinnamon, cloves, cumin, coriander,
cardamom, fennel seed, ginger (fresh and dried), paprika,
vanilla the most.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Mar 12, 2007, 4:36:53 PM3/12/07
TammyM wrote:

> "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
>>There are several herbs/spices and seasonings I use regularly:
>>
>>Oregano (Mexican & Greek)
>>Bay leaf
>>Parsley
>>Lemon (juice & Pepper)
>>Dry Mustard
>>Sage
>>Thyme
>>Rosemary
>>Cilantro
>>Basil
>>and a few others like nutmeg, celery seed, dill weed, & caraway seed not
>>to mention the mixes
>>
>>OK S & P too.
>>
>>I kind of get into a rut -
>>
>>What ones do you use regularly
>>
>>What for example would you use to season green beans?
>
> I love to use Penzey's Trinidad Lemon Garlic Seasoning with green beans.

In honor of St. Patrick's Day I will share an
Irish green bean recipe. (I'll have to fake it because
I just found out I don't have it on the computer - it's
at home.)

Snap the beans and cook till done in boiling salted
water. Drain. Fry some bacon and crumble. Pour off most
of the extra bacon fat, saving a little. Toss beans
in the bacon fat in the skillet to keep warm. Add heavy
cream and chopped fennel greens (not the bulb, but the
frothy green leaves - they look similar to dill leaves).
You can figure out the amounts for yourselves - whatever
you like.

I also recently made a great green bean recipe with
chopped pistachios and a little hot red pepper flakes
and orange juice.

I like beans with dill and butter

And just plain with s&p and butter.

>>Asparagus? sweet peas?
>
> I'm pretty traditional with these

Don't eat the evil spears.

>>Carrots?
>
> Either the "Asian" treatment some have suggested, or sumac (delicious!)

Don't eat the evil orange things (except raw in salads
or with dips).

Kate Connally

Mar 12, 2007, 4:38:45 PM3/12/07
sueb wrote:

Oh, this reminds me of an Italian recipe I use for
green beans "agro e dolce". Cook then saute with
olive oil, a little vinegar and sugar and salt and
pepper. Yummy.

Victor Sack

Mar 12, 2007, 7:29:59 PM3/12/07
Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:

> Hope you recover from your overwhelmedness. No need to feel mixed up
> either. :) Some think Choucroute descends from the German surkrut and
> it is often used in short form for choucroute garnie just like "chili"
> for Chile con Carne. I've been eating it all my life..... off and on of
> course. ;) My grandmother, whose family hailed from Alsace and
> Bretagne, taught me to make it with various meats, usually charcuterie.
> She also used fresh cuts of pork as well but always in combination with
> smoked meats. I also like to include weisswurst and knackwurst in mine
> but I have trouble finding these locally anymore. This is peasant
> comfort food at its best and the meats are cooked right in the kraut
> with 3-4 cups of fruity white wine, usually Riesling in a 5-7 qt pot.
> I've also used Pinot Grigio and Gewurtztrameiner but I prefer Riesling
> in this fare. Drink what you will on the side.

Well, as I said, this sounds very tasty, but why call it choucroute? If
you use "foreign" ingredients and atypical cooking methods, shouldn't
the dish be named differently? In this case, you use German sausages
and cook everything together with sauerkraut, effectively making a stew.
So, why not call it, say, bigos, Sauerkraut-Topf, toroskáposzta, or even
Székely gulyás, all of which are at least bona-fide sauerkraut stews?
Or, better yet, call it simply sauerkraut stew.

Victor

Emma Thackery

Mar 12, 2007, 11:30:42 PM3/12/07
In article <1huvywg.axsk2q1nt35hsN%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:
>
> > Hope you recover from your overwhelmedness. No need to feel mixed up
> > either. :) Some think Choucroute descends from the German surkrut and
> > it is often used in short form for choucroute garnie just like "chili"
> > for Chile con Carne. I've been eating it all my life..... off and on of
> > course. ;) My grandmother, whose family hailed from Alsace and
> > Bretagne, taught me to make it with various meats, usually charcuterie.
> > She also used fresh cuts of pork as well but always in combination with
> > smoked meats. I also like to include weisswurst and knackwurst in mine
> > but I have trouble finding these locally anymore. This is peasant
> > comfort food at its best and the meats are cooked right in the kraut
> > with 3-4 cups of fruity white wine, usually Riesling in a 5-7 qt pot.
> > I've also used Pinot Grigio and Gewurtztrameiner but I prefer Riesling
> > in this fare. Drink what you will on the side.
>
> Well, as I said, this sounds very tasty, but why call it choucroute?

Because that's what it is. It is your notions that are "atypical":

<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/food/la-fo-choucroute10mar1
0,1,4227990,full.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-food>

<http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102386>

<http://frenchfood.about.com/od/regionalcuisine/r/alchoucroute.htm>

> ...If you use "foreign" ingredients and atypical cooking methods,

> shouldn't the dish be named differently?

Nonsense. Enough already. If this is a joke, it's certainly in very
poor taste.

> ...In this case, you use German sausages and cook everything together

Victor Sack

Mar 13, 2007, 6:54:56 PM3/13/07
Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:

> Because that's what it is. It is your notions that are "atypical":
>
> <http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/food/la-fo-choucroute10mar1
> 0,1,4227990,full.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-food>
>
> <http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102386>
>
> <http://frenchfood.about.com/od/regionalcuisine/r/alchoucroute.htm>

Why remain obstinate and continue to insist - as you implicitly do -
that it really is a generic sauerkraut stew and can contain most
anything and made in any fashion? You have provided some links above.
Have you actually read them? Can you parse them? Do you see if there
are any notable differences? Can you tell if any of them are actually
Alsatian? Okay, I'll be charitable and will tell you that the first one
is. Did you notice that the meats are cooked separately in the recipe?
The other two recipes are generic American jokes, no matter how tasty.
Bratwurst in Alsatian choucroute garnie, indeed! And the author of the
frenchfood.about.com is even so considerate and knowledgable to provide
a pronunciation of this oh-so difficult word "choucroute": "pronounced:
shoe krewt gar knee (hard g like in goat)". Indeed, a goat would
perhaps pronounce the word like that.

Alsatian choucroute garnie is both more and less than you appear to
think. It is clear you have never once tasted choucroute garnie in
Alsace. Really, it is not always the case that one has to go and taste
some dish in situ, but in *this* case it is - just try it and see. Or,
if you cannot go there, could you at least be persuaded to read Jeffrey
Steingarten's chapter on choucroute garnie in his book? You will
discover that even with its countless variations, choucroute garnie
still remains a distinct dish. You could continue to eat your spätzle
with your sauerkraut while reading.

Victor

Emma Thackery

Mar 14, 2007, 1:41:44 AM3/14/07
In article <1huxtq5.1dqvqmjzk3plyN%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:
>
> > Because that's what it is. It is your notions that are "atypical":
> >
> > <http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/food/la-fo-choucroute10mar1
> > 0,1,4227990,full.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-food>
> >
> > <http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102386>
> >
> > <http://frenchfood.about.com/od/regionalcuisine/r/alchoucroute.htm>

It's perfectly clear that your goal here is deliberately unconstructive
and hostile. From the onset, you've acted like a churlish, pretentious
boor. No doubt there is some remote cause for your transparently
puerile behavior, perhaps a well-deserved thrashing by an intoxicated
parent, but it's not my obligation to entertain your inane outbursts or
tolerate your animus.

<snip relentless nattering>

Leonard Blaisdell

Mar 14, 2007, 1:04:57 AM3/14/07
In article <emma-FA2A9C.2...@news-50.dca.giganews.com>,
Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:

> It's perfectly clear that your goal here is deliberately unconstructive
> and hostile. From the onset, you've acted like a churlish, pretentious
> boor. No doubt there is some remote cause for your transparently
> puerile behavior, perhaps a well-deserved thrashing by an intoxicated
> parent, but it's not my obligation to entertain your inane outbursts or
> tolerate your animus.

Now that's English! Why can't Congress sound more like Parliament? I
have nothing to say about the thread in general or any perceived
animosity.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Bob Terwilliger

Mar 14, 2007, 11:14:02 AM3/14/07
Victor wrote:

> Why remain obstinate and continue to insist - as you implicitly do -
> that it really is a generic sauerkraut stew and can contain most
> anything and made in any fashion?

<snip>

> Alsatian choucroute garnie is both more and less than you appear to
> think. It is clear you have never once tasted choucroute garnie in
> Alsace. Really, it is not always the case that one has to go and taste
> some dish in situ, but in *this* case it is - just try it and see. Or,
> if you cannot go there, could you at least be persuaded to read Jeffrey
> Steingarten's chapter on choucroute garnie in his book? You will
> discover that even with its countless variations, choucroute garnie
> still remains a distinct dish. You could continue to eat your spätzle
> with your sauerkraut while reading.

Evidently, choucroute is the new alfredo. Or maybe the new barbecue, Caesar
salad, scampi, Philly cheese steak, pizza, martini, or chili.

Emma, Victor's right in that there is a very specific definition of the term
"choucroute garnie," and the recipe you provided doesn't meet that
definition. But Victor, there is no way you can turn back the tide of the
language's corruption of the term. In common parlance today, the term
"choucroute" DOES mean exactly what you facetiously stated: a generic
sauerkraut stew which can contain most anything and which can be made in any
fashion.

Bob

Pan Ohco

Mar 14, 2007, 12:40:47 PM3/14/07

I agree Leo, in that it was a lovely constructed response.
But I think that it was quite like congress, in that it was filled
with large volume of words, filled with feeling, and very little
facts.

Victor Sack

Mar 14, 2007, 6:56:04 PM3/14/07
Bob Terwilliger <virtu...@die-spammer.biz> wrote:

> Evidently, choucroute is the new alfredo. Or maybe the new barbecue, Caesar
> salad, scampi, Philly cheese steak, pizza, martini, or chili.
>
> Emma, Victor's right in that there is a very specific definition of the term
> "choucroute garnie," and the recipe you provided doesn't meet that
> definition. But Victor, there is no way you can turn back the tide of the
> language's corruption of the term. In common parlance today, the term
> "choucroute" DOES mean exactly what you facetiously stated: a generic
> sauerkraut stew which can contain most anything and which can be made in any
> fashion.

If this is really so, I am truly surprised. Does this also mean, by
implication, that such authors as Jeffrey Steingarten, who went on his
epic journey to eat 14 kinds of choucroute garnie in Alsace and wrote an
essay about it all and about what choucroute is supposed to mean, are
wasting their time, too?

I like to read menus and have collected a great many of them. A friend
from New York sends me a lot of them and I also read menus at such Web
sites as menupages.com and similar. Of the terms you listed above, all,
except Philly cheese steak, appear regularly in many places. As to
choucroute, I have yet to see it anywhere except on a few French
restaurant and bistro menus. Is the dish commonly cooked at home, in
America? Because if it isn't, the word may have not yet become a part
of common parlance at all.

Victor

Victor Sack

Mar 14, 2007, 6:56:05 PM3/14/07
Emma Thackery <em...@vanity.fair> wrote:

> It's perfectly clear that your goal here is deliberately unconstructive
> and hostile.

Get a good dictionary - I suggest The OED - and look up "perfectly",
"clear", "deliberately", "unconstructive" and "hostile". You are bound
to be surprised.

> From the onset, you've acted like a churlish, pretentious
> boor. No doubt there is some remote cause for your transparently
> puerile behavior, perhaps a well-deserved thrashing by an intoxicated
> parent, but it's not my obligation to entertain your inane outbursts or
> tolerate your animus.

Oh, I am so sorry that my pointing out your obvious ignorance in the
matters choucroute has so upset your emotional balance. I hope that, in
time, you will find your bearings again.

ObFood: Chicken broth with Grünkern. Grünkern is young, i.e. immature,
spelt, harvested early and dried. I cooked it in the boiling broth for
three minutes, took it off the heat and let it stand for one hour to
absorb liquid and swell up. I then heated it up again. The chewy
texture somewhat resembles wild rice.

Victor

Mark Thorson

Mar 15, 2007, 12:07:19 AM3/15/07
Victor Sack wrote:

> Oh, I am so sorry that my pointing out your obvious ignorance
> in the matters choucroute has so upset your emotional balance.
> I hope that, in time, you will find your bearings again.
>
> ObFood: Chicken broth with Grünkern. Grünkern is young, i.e.
> immature, spelt, harvested early and dried. I cooked it in the
> boiling broth for three minutes, took it off the heat and let it
> stand for one hour to absorb liquid and swell up. I then heated
> it up again. The chewy texture somewhat resembles wild rice.

Ah, yes! I've had that! Harvested from the
spaghetti trees before they drop their petals.
An acquired taste, to be sure, but paired
with the right wine -- indescribable! :-)

Victor Sack

Mar 15, 2007, 6:52:33 PM3/15/07
Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > ObFood: Chicken broth with Grünkern. Grünkern is young, i.e.
> > immature, spelt, harvested early and dried. I cooked it in the
> > boiling broth for three minutes, took it off the heat and let it
> > stand for one hour to absorb liquid and swell up. I then heated
> > it up again. The chewy texture somewhat resembles wild rice.
>
> Ah, yes! I've had that! Harvested from the
> spaghetti trees before they drop their petals.
> An acquired taste, to be sure, but paired
> with the right wine -- indescribable! :-)

Nonsense! Spaghetti trees never drop their petals! They drop farfalle,
who fly away.

Victor