Pennsylvania Dutch Foods

瀏覽次數:6 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Fraggle-rock

未讀,
2002年1月8日 凌晨12:11:292002/1/8
收件者:
I am interested in learning about Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. Does anybody
have any good recipes of that persuasion. Also, since New England regional
cooking is so closely related, any ideas for classic New England recipes
will be appreciated as well. I thank you all in advance.

tqq

未讀,
2002年1月8日 凌晨3:09:212002/1/8
收件者:

look for recipes for scrapple, shoe-fly pie, and apple cider.

tqq

st...@temple.edu

未讀,
2002年1月8日 上午10:28:042002/1/8
收件者:

Try posting this question in the pa.general and phl.food groups.

Steve Calvin

未讀,
2002年1月8日 上午11:23:022002/1/8
收件者:

check out http://members.aol.com/tfost123/padutch.html

--
Steve

MareCat

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午1:45:042002/1/8
收件者:
"Fraggle-rock" <no...@killspam.net> wrote in message

One favorite PA Dutch recipe that my mom always made when I was growing up
is chicken corn soup. I still make it fairly often. It's wonderful comfort
food!

Mary

Chicken Corn Soup with Rivels

3 lbs split chicken breasts
1 10-oz package frozen corn
4 large eggs
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Cover chicken breasts with water and simmer until done (about 30 minutes).
Remove chicken breasts, and, when cool enough to handle, shred meat into a
bowl. Strain the broth, then add the chicken meat. Bring to a simmer, then
add the corn.

To make the rivels: In a small bowl, mix the flour with the eggs. Using a
fork, drop small amounts of the mixture into the simmering soup. Let simmer
for a couple minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.

BigDodge68

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午1:54:372002/1/8
收件者:
>> I am interested in learning about Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. Does anybody
>> have any good recipes of that persuasion.

Finally someone asking about my speciality. I have alot of PA Dutch recipes,
what exactly are you looking to make?

Ben

Scratch your butt to reply

phil nm

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午2:18:322002/1/8
收件者:
Check this forum closely. I posted these within the last month.

"tqq" <tqq...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<ROx_7.25524$_f5.187...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...

Fraggle-rock

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午3:35:352002/1/8
收件者:

"BigDodge68" <bigdo...@aol.comyourbutt> wrote in message

Ben,
I am looking for some appetizers involving any kind of fish, shellfish
or
crustacean. I'm looking also for entrées of poultry and beef. I am also
looking for dessert items. Pretty much everything. I am totally clueless
when it comes to this regions dishes. What helps to signify a PA Dutch
dish? I would like to receive distinct PA Dutch recipes but not casserole
type dishes. Thank you for your reply

tqq

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午4:14:232002/1/8

> I am looking for some appetizers involving any kind of fish, shellfish
> or
> crustacean. I'm looking also for entrées of poultry and beef. I am also
> looking for dessert items.

When I think "Pennsylvania Dutch" I certainly don't think "seafood". The PA
Dutch culture is one of German farmers. Think meat. Pork, in particular.

tqq

st...@temple.edu

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午4:39:252002/1/8
收件者:
Fraggle-rock <no...@killspam.net> wrote:
> I am looking for some appetizers involving any kind of fish, shellfish
> or
> crustacean. I'm looking also for entrées of poultry and beef. I am also
> looking for dessert items. Pretty much everything. I am totally clueless
> when it comes to this regions dishes. What helps to signify a PA Dutch
> dish? I would like to receive distinct PA Dutch recipes but not casserole
> type dishes. Thank you for your reply

If you're interested in seafood, then don't look for Pennsylvania Dutch recipes.
Seafood is not something that's common to Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, by any means.

rms

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午6:26:142002/1/8
收件者:
In article <a1foud$gsd$3...@cronkite.temple.edu>, st...@temple.edu says...

Och, don't be silly. Those that lived close to Delaware bay had a
love of oysters, shad, clams, mackerel, shrimp, eel, and other fish.
But especially oysters. rms

JonquilJan

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午6:31:182002/1/8
收件者:

Fraggle-rock <no...@killspam.net> wrote in message
A marvelous book if you can find it - Mennonite Community Cookbook by Mary
Emma Showalter.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

rms

未讀,
2002年1月8日 下午6:45:192002/1/8
收件者:
In article <u3n00m1...@corp.supernews.com>, r...@hywaaay.not says...

>Och, don't be silly. Those that lived close to Delaware bay had a
>love of oysters, shad, clams, mackerel, shrimp, eel, and other fish.
>But especially oysters. rms

Addendum - I didn't want it to sound like they are a extinct people
like the Shakers. I assumed that alt timey recipes were being
sought. Today they go to the same markets as anyone else. rms

Alan Zelt

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上7:48:532002/1/8
收件者:

I could be wrong, but I don't remember shellfish/crustaceans as part of
the PA Dutch diet. Leastwise I have never seen it on the menus or
cookbooks.
--
Alan

"It's a wine's duty to be red."

........ Harry Waugh

Alan Zelt

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上7:49:332002/1/8
收件者:

Yeah, it's not kosher. Well, at least it doesn't go well with the pork
they eat by the ton.

Ace399

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上8:06:462002/1/8
收件者:
When I think PA Dutch/Amish Cooking the two foods that come first to mind are
Shoofly Pie and Brown Buttered Noodles. I'm sure that you can find numerous
recipes for both with a simple search.

'Classic New England' to me is New England Clam Chowder, Boiled Maine Lobster,
Boston Baked Beans, Vermont Maple Syrup.

Coleen :`)

"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile,
the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."
-Unknown

Barbara Mayo-Wells

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上8:33:092002/1/8
收件者:

>"Fraggle-rock" <no...@killspam.net> wrote in message
>
>> I am looking for some appetizers involving any kind of fish, shellfish
>>or
>>crustacean. I'm looking also for entrées of poultry and beef. I am also
>>looking for dessert items.

At Penna Dutch buffet near Lancaster, PA, I've seen: slippery pot pie
(chicken & vegetables in a casserole made with broad noodles rather than
crust), pot roast, cold sliced smoked beef tongue, fried chicken --
which I suspect may not be authentic PA Dutch, soup made with dried corn
in chicken stock, hard-cooked eggs that have been "pickled" in beet
juice, sliced beet and sliced onions in vinaigrette, half a dozen
different kinds of potato salad both hot and cold. Shoo-fly pie is an
authentic dessert (I hate it), but layer cakes with custardy or
lemon-curdy-y fillings and boiled frosting with or without shredded
coconut are also abundant.
Barb MW

Fraggle-rock

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上9:03:142002/1/8
收件者:

> I love pork, thank you for the insight.

Puester

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上9:27:542002/1/8
收件者:

I don't agree that N.E. cooking is much like PA Dutch. N.E. is very
ethnic oriented and what's not ethnic is usually seafood. P.D. is much
more tied to harvest, preserved condiments, and farm bounty with the
German influence in baking and desserts.

Alan Zelt

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上9:55:062002/1/8
收件者:
BubbaBob wrote:

> Barbara Mayo-Wells <b...@qis.net> wrote:
>
> > At Penna Dutch buffet near Lancaster, PA, I've seen: slippery pot pie
> > (chicken & vegetables in a casserole made with broad noodles rather
> > than crust), pot roast, cold sliced smoked beef tongue, fried chicken
> > -- which I suspect may not be authentic PA Dutch, soup made with dried
> > corn in chicken stock, hard-cooked eggs that have been "pickled" in
> > beet juice, sliced beet and sliced onions in vinaigrette, half a dozen
> > different kinds of potato salad both hot and cold. Shoo-fly pie is an
> > authentic dessert (I hate it), but layer cakes with custardy or
> > lemon-curdy-y fillings and boiled frosting with or without shredded
> > coconut are also abundant.
> > Barb MW
> >

> I grew up eating all of these things. I wasn't really aware thet it was PA
> Dutch cuisine at the time, though my mother certainly qualifies as such. If
> I never eat them again, I'll be happy. She did make killer fried chicken,
> though.

One of things that I identify with Pa Dutch cooking, at least in
restaurants, is that it is served family style. I remember, when
snoozing through my degree at Moravian, my parents would come up once in
a while, and we would have dinner at Walps, outside of Allentown.

PENMART01

未讀,
2002年1月8日 晚上10:00:242002/1/8
收件者:
"BigDodge68" wrote:
>I am interested in learning about Pennsylvania Dutch cooking.
>Does anybody have any good recipes

Go here: http://www.kiva.net/~markh/eldacook.html

At the Website scroll to bottom of page for links.

Also, see the edleweenie.

Sheldon
````````````

Kensei

未讀,
2002年1月15日 凌晨12:06:412002/1/15
收件者:

Well.... yes and no. Both sides of my family have lived in Lancaster
and western Chester Counties for over 200 years and it's where I grew
up also. Although PA Dutch cooking has strong German roots, the Amish
and Mennonites have been in the US for well over 250 years which has
given them plenty of time to stray from their German culinary origins.
Seafood isn't a big part of PA Dutch cooking but it is certainly there
and as you indicated, oysters (e.g., oyster stew) are actually a
somewhat big deal during the Winter months. One of my favorite events
is the Gap Firehouse Ham and Fried Oyster Supper to raise money for
the Gap Volunteer Fire Dept.

But after oysters, the other seafood you mentioned comes in a very
distant second, third, etc. If one is looking specifically for unique
seafood recipes, then they're not going to find much in the world of
PA Dutch cuisine.

Kensei

Virginia Tadrzynski

未讀,
2002年1月15日 上午9:48:522002/1/15
收件者:
If you want a compilation of 'authentic' PA Dutch foods and recipes, your
best bet is to watch the auctions for church cookbooks in traditionally PA
Dutch areas (Amish/Mennonite groupings also live in other states such as
Ohio, West Virginia, etc. not just PA). I have a number of books obtained
by stopping by church yard sales in Lancaster County, PA and those recipes
are to die for........forget the 'official' PA Dutch cookbooks in the chain
book stores.....always go for the original at the source.
-Ginny

"Kensei" <jeffwo...@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu

未讀,
2002年1月16日 下午1:19:062002/1/16
收件者:
Kensei <jeffwo...@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:

> Seafood isn't a big part of PA Dutch cooking but it is certainly there
> and as you indicated, oysters (e.g., oyster stew) are actually a
> somewhat big deal during the Winter months. One of my favorite events
> is the Gap Firehouse Ham and Fried Oyster Supper to raise money for
> the Gap Volunteer Fire Dept.

Having eaten more than one dinner at the Gap Firehouse myself,
I have to agree with Kensei here. Oysters are pretty much
*the* Penna. Dutch seafood item. Never liked them myself,
but my family (also 200+ years in Lancaster County) mostly
does enjoy an oyster stew or oyster caserole.

Chicken corn soup with rivels, and Chicken pot pie are
the prototypical Dutch dishes. Ham figures pretty big
in a lot of food in that area too. Lebanon bologna,
and sweet bologna are mandatory items whenever I go
home to visit. Oh, and one thing that seem to have
almost disappeared, though you can still find it if
you know where to look, is "pudding." Pudding is a
meat dish made from pork. It's cooked down
and packed into pans to solidify, then reheated and
served as a side dish to breakfast pancakes.
It's sort of like scrapple without the binder.

--
Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Kensei

未讀,
2002年1月16日 晚上11:35:552002/1/16
收件者:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:19:06 +0000 (UTC), <ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu>
wrote:

>Chicken corn soup with rivels, and Chicken pot pie are
>the prototypical Dutch dishes. Ham figures pretty big
>in a lot of food in that area too. Lebanon bologna,
>and sweet bologna are mandatory items whenever I go
>home to visit. Oh, and one thing that seem to have
>almost disappeared, though you can still find it if
>you know where to look, is "pudding." Pudding is a
>meat dish made from pork. It's cooked down
>and packed into pans to solidify, then reheated and
>served as a side dish to breakfast pancakes.
>It's sort of like scrapple without the binder.

You can still find "pudding meat" at certain places but it's
disappearing along with other stuff like mush, souse, and hog-maw. If
you're back in the area again, try the Gap Diner or Country Gardens
just up the road headed East on Rt. 30. You can also probably
purchase it at the Dutchman Supermarket on Rt. 41.... I think.

When I go back home, I try to go on Friday's and stop by the Green
Dragon in Ephrata. It doesn't get much more authentic than that place
and there are virtually no tourists. I'm amazed they haven't found
that place by now.

Kensei

ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu

未讀,
2002年1月17日 上午11:03:112002/1/17
收件者:
Kensei <jeffwo...@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:19:06 +0000 (UTC), <ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>>home to visit. Oh, and one thing that seem to have
>>almost disappeared, though you can still find it if
>>you know where to look, is "pudding."

> You can still find "pudding meat" at certain places but it's

> disappearing along with other stuff like mush, souse, and hog-maw. If
> you're back in the area again, try the Gap Diner or Country Gardens
> just up the road headed East on Rt. 30. You can also probably
> purchase it at the Dutchman Supermarket on Rt. 41.... I think.

Yeah, "pudding" is definitely not a low-fat health food
in any sense, but very occasionally it's just the thing
for a cold morning.

> When I go back home, I try to go on Friday's and stop by the Green
> Dragon in Ephrata. It doesn't get much more authentic than that place
> and there are virtually no tourists. I'm amazed they haven't found
> that place by now.

My mother recently moved to Ephrata. I need to make a visit
to Green Dragon next time I'm up there.

Peggy Haine

未讀,
2002年1月17日 上午11:16:012002/1/17
收件者:

What and exactly where is the Green Dragon? We're occasionally in
Lancaster and always on the hunt for a decent place to eat.
Cheers!
Peg

ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu

未讀,
2002年1月17日 上午11:52:022002/1/17
收件者:
Peggy Haine <ml...@cornell.edu> wrote:
> In article <a26sjv$p1n$2...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, <ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu> wrote:

>> Kensei <jeffwo...@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:19:06 +0000 (UTC), <ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu>
>> > wrote:

>> > When I go back home, I try to go on Friday's and stop by the Green
>> > Dragon in Ephrata. It doesn't get much more authentic than that place
>> > and there are virtually no tourists. I'm amazed they haven't found
>> > that place by now.
>>
>> My mother recently moved to Ephrata. I need to make a visit
>> to Green Dragon next time I'm up there.

> What and exactly where is the Green Dragon? We're occasionally in

> Lancaster and always on the hunt for a decent place to eat.
> Cheers!

Green Dragon is a large farmer's market. Ask anybody in
the area once you get near Ephrata and they'll tell you
how to get there. I'm not real familiar with the roads
over in that area just yet.

Now, if you promise not to tell too many people about it,
let me suggest People's Restaurant in New Holland.
It's right on Main Street (Rt. 23) near the middle of town.
A real local's hangout. Genuine local cuisine.

Jason

未讀,
2002年1月17日 下午4:06:082002/1/17
收件者:
I remember, when
> snoozing through my degree at Moravian, my parents would come up once in
> a while, and we would have dinner at Walps, outside of Allentown.

Alan,

Walks restaurant by Bowmanstown?

In the neighborhood,
Jason

Peggy Haine

未讀,
2002年1月17日 下午6:09:392002/1/17
收件者:

Thanks for a good lead. I won't tell a soul.
Cheers!
Peg

Phil

未讀,
2002年1月17日 下午6:46:052002/1/17
收件者:
Bubba...
I'm in NM and have it shipped regularly from a Weavers supplier... even
after shipping the cost per pound is comparable to the local stores, but
the taste..... ahhhhh the taste..
Albuquerque

BubbaBob wrote:

> Now you've done it. Now I need to call my brother and have him ship me a
> chub of each. He's in Enola but I'm in NM where Lebanon Bologna, if you can
> ever find it, is completely stale and costs $6.00/lb.
>
> I grew up on that stuff.

Tracey

未讀,
2002年1月17日 晚上9:32:422002/1/17
收件者:

<ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu> wrote in message

> Now, if you promise not to tell too many people about it,
> let me suggest People's Restaurant in New Holland.
> It's right on Main Street (Rt. 23) near the middle of town.
> A real local's hangout. Genuine local cuisine.
>
> --
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

I can second this one :-) I've eaten there a few times and been very
pleased. Watch out though, it is closed on Saturdays (at least it used to
be about 3 years ago when I was last there);

netguy

未讀,
2002年1月17日 晚上10:21:052002/1/17
收件者:
In article <3C47623D...@yahoo.com>, gol...@yahoo.com says...
mmmmm, lebanon.

(Weaver's is my favorite too)

Kensei

未讀,
2002年1月18日 上午10:18:202002/1/18
收件者:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:16:01 -0500, ml...@cornell.edu (Peggy Haine)
wrote:

Go to www.greendragonmarket.com for directions and a description.
It's only open on Friday's. I guess you could call it a Farmer's
Market but it encompasses lots of stuff not typically seen at other
Farmers Markets such as a livestock auction, a hardware auction (lots
and lots of tools), a big Flea Market section, many food stands and a
few diner-style restaurants. It's much bigger and diverse than the
Farmer's Market in downtown Lancaster.

Finally, there are many, many Amish folks who come there to sell stuff
or just hang out on Friday evening. I don't know about now... but it
used to be a big place where Amish young people would go on a date.
There is a big barn dedicated to "parking" all of the buggies for the
Amish attendees. Hence, you can see and interact with more Amish
there than any other place I can think of in Lancaster County. If you
go, it will be assumed that you are "local" so absolutely do NOT bring
a camera no matter how tempting it will be to document the experience.
You will be courting physical violence if you do. My favorite food
stand is the one where soft pretzels are made on site. They are
bigger, better, and cheaper than any of the spaciality soft pretzels
you can get at malls now.

Kensei

0 則新訊息