Chocolate sauce ?

1 view

Janet Bostwick

Sep 11, 2005, 9:44:01 PM9/11/05
I've never made chocolate sauce before--I don't really do desserts. I made
this sauce today and it turned slightly gritty. Can I re-heat it and add a
tablespoon of corn syrup to fix it or can't it be fixed at this point?

Chocolate Fudge Sauce

Very thick, rich, and shiny perfect for ice cream sundaes. This does not get
hard when spooned over ice cream. If too thick, put the sauce in a pan and
warm over low heat.

14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

12 ounces (2 cups) chocolate chips

2/3 cup water

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine the milk, chocolate chips, water and salt in a heavy- bottomed
saucepan. Stir over low heat until the mixture is smooth and blended.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Serve hot or cold.

Almost one quart sauce

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

Janet

Jen

Sep 12, 2005, 1:31:40 AM9/12/05

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message

How could anyone not want to do desserts. I would eat them till the cows
come home, I love sweets, shouldn't, but do. I'd learnt to do many desserts
when I was pretty young, before I learnt to make "real food." But
chocolate's not really my thing. I can't really help though.

Jen

Joseph Littleshoes

Sep 12, 2005, 1:57:13 AM9/12/05
Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've never made chocolate sauce before--I don't really do desserts. I
> made
> this sauce today and it turned slightly gritty. Can I re-heat it and
> add a
> tablespoon of corn syrup to fix it or can't it be fixed at this point?
>
> Chocolate Fudge Sauce
>
> Very thick, rich, and shiny perfect for ice cream sundaes. This does
> not get
> hard when spooned over ice cream. If too thick, put the sauce in a
> pan and
> warm over low heat.

Seems to me you have perhaps too much chocolate for the amount of
liquid, try adding milk 1/4 cup at a time and see if the chocolate
emulsifies. It is possible you have an inferiour chocolate. A bit of
butter might help also, iirc, some parts of chocolate are oil soluble
and not water soluble, so without any oil it might be 'gritty' but that
is just a guess on my part.
---
JL

> 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
>
> 12 ounces (2 cups) chocolate chips
>
> 2/3 cup water
>

> * teaspoon salt

Dimitri

Sep 12, 2005, 2:06:07 PM9/12/05

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> I've never made chocolate sauce before--I don't really do desserts. I made
> this sauce today and it turned slightly gritty. Can I re-heat it and add a
> tablespoon of corn syrup to fix it or can't it be fixed at this point?

This one works (stolen form MaryF)

HOT FUDGE
2 cups of sugar,
1 can of evaporated milk (12 ounces)

Bring to a boil,

Off heat add 4 squares of chopped unsweetened chocolate (4 ounces)
Whisk until it melts and is smooth.

Then add 1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt and
1/4 cup of butter.

Put into clean jar and store in fridge. Heat gently in microwave to
serve over ice cream

Alex Rast

Sep 12, 2005, 5:22:11 PM9/12/05
at Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:44:01 GMT in <11i9nat...@corp.supernews.com>,
nos...@cableone.net (Janet Bostwick) wrote :

>I've never made chocolate sauce before--I don't really do desserts. I
>made this sauce today and it turned slightly gritty. Can I re-heat it
>and add a tablespoon of corn syrup to fix it or can't it be fixed at
>this point?
>
>Chocolate Fudge Sauce
>

>14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
>12 ounces (2 cups) chocolate chips
>2/3 cup water
>½ teaspoon salt
>1 tablespoon vanilla

Sounds as if you've got a "broken" chocolate sauce, which means the
chocolate didn't emulsify. Don't add corn syrup - instead, try adding a
little butter after reheating. How constantly did you stir the original
recipe? From the ingredient list it would need to be stirred *constantly*,
like custard. You'd need to keep stirring it until fairly cool, and the
same goes for the butter-added version. Using water in the recipe is IMHO
somewhat unusual, and is risky with chocolate where too much or too little
water can cause havoc with chocolate's behaviour. I'd probably have used a
little butter from the outset because this would have helped with the
chocolate and probably given it a better flavour.

Did you use chocolate chips or bar chocolate/couverture? If the latter this
may be your problem because this recipe looks as if it's been tuned
specifically for chips. Chocolate chips have a lower cocoa butter content
(it's cocoa butter's properties that cause problems with emulsification
because cocoa butter has multiple crystal forms) and this recipe, with its
high water content and low fat content, would work badly if at all with bar
chocolate/couverture.

--
Alex Rast
ad.r...@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 5:53:48 PM9/12/05

"Alex Rast" <ad.r...@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> at Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:44:01 GMT in <11i9nat...@corp.supernews.com>,
> nos...@cableone.net (Janet Bostwick) wrote :
>snip

> Sounds as if you've got a "broken" chocolate sauce, which means the
> chocolate didn't emulsify. Don't add corn syrup - instead, try adding a
> little butter after reheating. How constantly did you stir the original
> recipe? From the ingredient list it would need to be stirred *constantly*,
> like custard. You'd need to keep stirring it until fairly cool, and the
> same goes for the butter-added version. Using water in the recipe is IMHO
> somewhat unusual, and is risky with chocolate where too much or too little
> water can cause havoc with chocolate's behaviour. I'd probably have used a
> little butter from the outset because this would have helped with the
> chocolate and probably given it a better flavour.
>
> Did you use chocolate chips or bar chocolate/couverture? If the latter
> this
> may be your problem because this recipe looks as if it's been tuned
> specifically for chips. Chocolate chips have a lower cocoa butter content
> (it's cocoa butter's properties that cause problems with emulsification
> because cocoa butter has multiple crystal forms) and this recipe, with its
> high water content and low fat content, would work badly if at all with
> bar
> chocolate/couverture.
>
> --
> Alex Rast
> ad.r...@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com
> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)
I used Nestle's chocolate chips. I knew that water could be a problem if it
got into the chocolate while melting, but I kind of recall Alton Brown
talking about a tablespoon of corn syrup initially would prevent problems
because (mind goes blank here, but chemistry and crystals I think). I did
stir constantly during melting/mixing, but not during cooling. I was pretty
careful with water and chocolate chip amounts as I already weigh ingredients
and have a good graduated beaker for liquids for bread making. I freeze up
around candy and candy thermometers etc., I'm convinced that I can't do it
so I can't. I'll re-heat this sauce and try 1 tablespoon of butter and then
try Dimitri's recipe next time. My husband has grown fond of Costco's
gallon vanilla ice cream and neither one of us is satisfied with sauces that
you buy in the jar. Now. . . how difficult is butterscotch or caramel? Do
I stand a chance of getting that right?
Thanks for your help.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 5:58:36 PM9/12/05

"Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
I'll try this sauce next time. It seems simple enough and doesn't mention
anything about candy thermometers. I absolutely panic about candies and
related that require cooking to particular temperatures. Do you have an
easy, fool proof caramel sauce recipe?
Janet

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2005, 6:55:13 PM9/12/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

> Do you have an easy, fool proof caramel sauce recipe?

Just undercook this. You can easily cut the recipe in half.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vanilla Caramels

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : candies

4 sticks melted butter
2 pounds brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cans sweetened condensed milk

1. Combine first three ingredients in large saucepan.
2. Gradually add sweetened condensed milk.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 minutes, until the syrup
reaches, 245F, or the Firm Ball Stage: (Drop a little of this syrup in
cold water and it will form a firm ball, one that won’t flatten when you
take it out of the water, but remains malleable and will flatten when
squeezed.)
4. Add 1-2 teaspoons vanilla.
5. Pour into buttered, waxed paper lined jelly roll pan.
6. Allow to set for 4-5 hours.
7. Tip onto waxed paper. Cut into squares and wrap each in waxed paper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Soft-Ball Stage description courtesy of The Accidental Scientist:
(http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/sugar-stages.html)

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 7:37:42 PM9/12/05

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:
>
>> Do you have an easy, fool proof caramel sauce recipe?
>
> Just undercook this. You can easily cut the recipe in half.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Vanilla Caramels
snip
Oh, Heck--you make Caramels? Next you'll be telling me you make Divinity.
I'm way impressed. Did I ever tell the story of the penuche that spilled
all over the inside of my refrigerator (that would be a Minneapolis story)
and drooled from top to bottom? I have a candy making phobia. I do have a
thermometer and good pots, maybe I'll get up courage to try this. Thanks
for the recipe, Carol.
Janet

Jen

Sep 12, 2005, 7:43:19 PM9/12/05

"Jen" <any...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> How could anyone not want to do desserts. I would eat them till the cows
> come home, I love sweets, shouldn't, but do. I'd learnt to do many
> desserts when I was pretty young, before I learnt to make "real food."
> But chocolate's not really my thing. I can't really help though.
>
> Jen

So does anyone else not like chocoalte much??

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2005, 7:53:30 PM9/12/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

Don't mention it, Janet. I haven't heard your penuche story, but would
like to. How the heck did it drool all over your fridge? I have a
penuche frosting recipe, if you're interested. You can "pretend" that it's
penuche.

I don't make caramels every year anymore, but they're soooooo much better
than anything you can buy. And if you want a recipe for chocolate covered
cherries, just give me a holler. They'll give you an orgasm. They're
time-consuming, but virtually impossible to screw up.

I can also tell you how to make mock butterfinger bars (actually squares),
and of course, pretzels dipped in white or regular chocolate. Easy, easy,
easy!

I haven't had good divinity in over 20 years. After burning out two hand
mixers (with smoke and everything), I stopped trying to make it myself.
Tammy McNiff gave me her recipe awhile back. I'll try to remember to make
it in December, but not with a hand mixer. With divinity, you're best off
making a LOT and renting a cement mixer.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Divine Divinity

Recipe By :Tammy McNiff
Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : candies

4 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
3 egg whites -- stiffly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

Combine sugar, syrup and water. Place in a saucepan and cook over low heat
until sugar is dissolved, without stirring, to 255F or until a small amount
dropped into cold water forms a hard ball. Remove from heat; pour, beating
constantly, in a fine stream into stiffly beaten egg whites. Continue
beating until mixture holds shape and loses its gloss. Add vanilla and
nuts. Drop quickly from tip of spoon onto waxed paper in individual
pieces.

Source:
"rec.food.cooking"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : "This is the very best recipe for divinity that I know of (course,
EVERYONE will tell you that, but in my case, it's TRUE ;-) ). It comes
from a woman who lived next to my grandmother years ago. Her name was
Madeleine, and she was a lovely woman, somewhat formal and devoutly
religious. Every year, she would gift us with a box of this candy. Combat
was waged amongst various family members over these confections!! The
recipe is written in my grandmother's hand, and is aptly named "Divine
Divinity" as Madeleine's surname really and truly was Divine (really and
truly!!)" ~Tammy~

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2005, 8:04:43 PM9/12/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

> Do you have an easy, fool proof caramel sauce recipe?

I just thought of this (I have Delayed Cognitive Reaction Syndrome - a term
I just made up). I don't recall exactly how this is done, but it involves
submerging an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in water, and
heating it for several hours until it caramelizes. I keep thinking I'd
like to try this, but it sounds a little TOO good. I think it's called
Dulce de Leche.

Carol

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 8:27:13 PM9/12/05

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
snip

Ah, well. In those days I really thought I could learn to make candy. I
had a pan of penuche that wouldn't set up and I thought maybe it would in
the fridge. A little later I was reaching in the fridge for the fixings for
dinner when my daughter startled me by coming up behind and pulling on my
skirt (I thought she was asleep in her cot). My hand hit the pan of
penuche, it tipped and flew sideways and the contents hit the inside wall of
the fridge, the space between the fridge door and the body, around the
hinges, the grill plate at the bottom and of course the floor and drooled on
down. I swear, every time I cleaned that fridge I found more of the stuff.
I'm pretty sure that was the last time I tried to make real candy. I have
the usual assortment of make-believe stuff for Christmas, but no real
cooking candy.

Divinity impresses me to no end. At the church socials all the little old
ladies used to bring these wonderful from-scratch chocolate cakes and the
cake would have this wonderful white, divinity-like (but soft) frosting and
on top of the white frosting they would drizzle a thin, shiny, semi-crackly
chocolate frosting. Yummy stuff. I can't make that frosting for anything.
It always turns out 'crunchy?' Maybe I need to get a book. I just don't
understand the underpinnings of candy at all. Chocolate covered cherries
are my weakness, are they tricky to do? For sure I would appreciate your
mock Butterfinger bars.

Janet

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 8:32:22 PM9/12/05

"By the way, Carol, I made the beans the other day. First time I'd done
beans in the pressure cooker. I'll never cook beans the long way again,
especially for re-fried beans. The texture was great in the pressure
cooker. I also like the recipe we were discussing. Not too sweet, just
right. Not soupy either. I had beans on bread for dinner tonight. Thanks
for bringing it to my attention.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 8:48:18 PM9/12/05

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
I think I've heard of that also. For some reason, it doesn't appeal.
Janet

Jen

Sep 12, 2005, 9:52:07 PM9/12/05
> So does anyone else not like chocoalte much??

I feel like I'm being ignored. I'm not causing trouble, if it seems like
that. Maybe it's the time differences here.

Bob

Sep 12, 2005, 10:27:02 PM9/12/05
Jen replied to herself:

>> So does anyone else not like chocoalte much??
>>

> I feel like I'm being ignored. I'm not causing trouble, if it seems like
> that. Maybe it's the time differences here.

I wasn't ignoring you, but I *really* like chocolate.

Bob

Puester

Sep 12, 2005, 10:35:26 PM9/12/05
Jen wrote:

>>How could anyone not want to do desserts. I would eat them till the cows
>>come home, I love sweets, shouldn't, but do. I'd learnt to do many
>>desserts when I was pretty young, before I learnt to make "real food."
>>But chocolate's not really my thing. I can't really help though.
>

> So does anyone else not like chocoalte much??

No one that I know.

gloria p

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sep 12, 2005, 10:40:58 PM9/12/05
In article <11ic7gi...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

I've been pressuring beans as well, and I agree. :-)

With the black soy beans (the only low carb bean), they do benefit from
a 24 hour soak tho' or they are a bit tough. Soaking seems to really
tenderize them.

I've tried them both ways.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Jen

Sep 12, 2005, 10:41:55 PM9/12/05
>> So does anyone else not like chocoalte much??
>>

> No one that I know.
>
> gloria p

I know. I think I'm weird. I love lollies and sweets of almost any kind.
And white chocolate. But milk chocolate doesn't do much for me. I don't
know anyone else like this either.

Jen

Janet Bostwick

Sep 12, 2005, 10:53:20 PM9/12/05

"Jen" <any...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
snip

> How could anyone not want to do desserts. I would eat them till the cows
> come home, I love sweets, shouldn't, but do. I'd learnt to do many
> desserts when I was pretty young, before I learnt to make "real food."
> But chocolate's not really my thing. I can't really help though.
>
> Jen

I would not choose to have a dessert after a meal. I generally enjoy the
flavor of the meal too much to want to mask it with a dessert. I do need a
sweet every day, usually in the evening, but it's the mouth feel that
determines what I feel like having rather than a craving for a specific
dessert. I don't care for fruit desserts much, if I want fruit, I prefer to
have just plain fruit. I definitely do not like overly rich desserts. I do
like cheese cake and lemon meringue pie. But then a slice is generally all
I want until maybe a year from now. My husband loves ice cream and wants to
have a bowl after every meal. I like smoothies or slushies. I really don't
have a need to make desserts. In the dead of winter, around Christmas, we
both want more sweets and variety. That lasts about a month.
Janet

Puester

Sep 12, 2005, 11:10:19 PM9/12/05

I really dislike white chocolate. It tastes like wax to me.

Milk chocolate is often too sweet but has a nice texture.

I really prefer dark, semisweet chocolate.

gloria p

Jen

Sep 12, 2005, 11:18:16 PM9/12/05

> I really dislike white chocolate. It tastes like wax to me.
>
> Milk chocolate is often too sweet but has a nice texture.
>
> I really prefer dark, semisweet chocolate.
>
> gloria p

Actually dark chocolate is my worse, I find it much too bitter.

Jen

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2005, 11:43:18 PM9/12/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

Hear that, Mom? Janet likes your beans! :-)

Did you measure the water, or just dump it in until it seemed right?

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2005, 11:45:03 PM9/12/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I don't recall exactly how this is done, but it involves
> > submerging an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in water, and
> > heating it for several hours until it caramelizes. I keep thinking I'd
> > like to try this, but it sounds a little TOO good. I think it's called
> > Dulce de Leche.
> >

> I think I've heard of that also. For some reason, it doesn't appeal.

I'd probably wind up drinking or spooning it straight from the can. There
are certain things I try not to have in the house, and sweetened condensed
milk is one of them.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2005, 12:18:06 AM9/13/05
"Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> said:

Yeah, Jen. I think that's the problem. Most people seem to love
chocolate. I never did until an RFC friend spoiled me rotten with some
good quality chocolate. So now I love chocolate, but I'm a little fussy
about it. I'm no Alex Rast, but there will be no Hershey or Nestle bars
for me.

Carol

Bob

Sep 13, 2005, 12:43:02 AM9/13/05
Gloria wrote:

> I really dislike white chocolate. It tastes like wax to me.

The only white chocolate I've found which didn't taste like wax is
Swartenbroeckx white chocolate which *used* to be carried by Trader Joe's.
I note with sadness that Trader Joe's doesn't carry it anymore. El Rey makes
a white chocolate which I suppose I'd rate a distant second.

Bob

Janet Bostwick

Sep 13, 2005, 1:15:32 AM9/13/05

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
snip

> Did you measure the water, or just dump it in until it seemed right?
>
> Carol

Measure

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2005, 1:22:25 AM9/13/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

Okay ... how much water did you use? <G>

Did you use 4 cups of dried beans?

Carol

Leila

Sep 13, 2005, 1:34:05 AM9/13/05

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <11ic7gi...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > "By the way, Carol, I made the beans the other day. First time I'd done
> > beans in the pressure cooker.

> With the black soy beans (the only low carb bean), they do benefit from

> a 24 hour soak tho' or they are a bit tough. Soaking seems to really
> tenderize them.

I learned from Lorna Sass (of the several PC cookbooks) to soak beans
under pressure. I just can't remember exactly the formula - is it bring
to pressure, then turn off fire and let cool naturally? Or cook under
pressure two minutes, then cool rapidly? (I think not the latter,
because rapid cooling hurts the beans). Anyway, drain the beans and
start over with fresh water. Reduces cooking time by far. Pintos were
cooked in 12 minutes when "pre-soaked" this way.

Couldn't say if this helps black soy beans any. Maybe. Maybe if they
need a 24 hour soak in cold water, you could try 2 minutes under
pressure, then cool off naturally. Drain of course. Just a suggestion.

My 4 year old objects to visible onions - he's also obsessed with beans
and rice right now. I cook pintos with nothing more than a KNorr
bouillon cube, some olive oil, and possibly a bay leaf when I can find
one (The bay leaf packet has gone missing). Add salt and pepper to
taste afterwards. Those pintos are yummy! Nobody can believe I didn't
add stuff to 'em.

Leila

Jen

Sep 13, 2005, 2:55:03 AM9/13/05

> I'd probably wind up drinking or spooning it straight from the can. There
> are certain things I try not to have in the house, and sweetened condensed
> milk is one of them.
>
> Carol

So would I , love the stuff.

Jen

Ophelia

Sep 13, 2005, 7:33:41 AM9/13/05

>> So does anyone else not like chocoalte much??
>>>

> I feel like I'm being ignored. I'm not causing trouble, if it seems like
> that. Maybe it's the time differences here.

Hiya Jen. I am sure no one is ignoring you. I see you are in Au:) I have
the same problems with time difference too. I am in UK:))

Hang in there.... and join in everything that catches your interest:)

Ophelia

Ophelia

Sep 13, 2005, 7:36:58 AM9/13/05

"Puester" <pue...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Well see, it is like this with me. I never crave chocolate nor buy any and
that will only eat it if someone gives me some and expects me to eat it
there and then. Once I get the taste I want more! It does't last long
though and a box of chocolates here gets eaten up by David:)

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2005, 7:59:38 AM9/13/05
"Jen" <any...@bigpond.net.au> said:

Oh, BTW ... welcome to RFC!

Carol

Jen

Sep 13, 2005, 7:58:42 AM9/13/05
> Hiya Jen. I am sure no one is ignoring you. I see you are in Au:) I
> have the same problems with time difference too. I am in UK:))
>
> Hang in there.... and join in everything that catches your interest:)
>
> Ophelia

Thanks people have been talking now.

Jen

Shaun aRe

Sep 13, 2005, 8:19:26 AM9/13/05

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <Ome...@brokenegz.com> wrote in message

> In article <11ic7gi...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > "By the way, Carol, I made the beans the other day. First time I'd done
> > beans in the pressure cooker. I'll never cook beans the long way again,
> > especially for re-fried beans. The texture was great in the pressure
> > cooker. I also like the recipe we were discussing. Not too sweet, just
> > right. Not soupy either. I had beans on bread for dinner tonight.
Thanks
> > for bringing it to my attention.
> > Janet
> >

> I've been pressuring beans as well, and I agree. :-)
>
> With the black soy beans (the only low carb bean), they do benefit from
> a 24 hour soak tho' or they are a bit tough. Soaking seems to really
> tenderize them.
>
> I've tried them both ways.
>
> Cheers!

To be certain they're soft enough I just soak in a bicarb solution
overnight, like one often does to make 'mushy peas' - always works for me
where I want beans to come out nice and soft and break down a little while
cooking.

Shaun aRe

Janet Bostwick

Sep 13, 2005, 10:17:02 AM9/13/05

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message

I used the Mirro recipe amount for a 6 quart pressure cooker. That was 4
cups dry beans and soak, covered overnight(8 hours), drain, then 4 cups
water in the pressure cooker with all the beans and the rest of the
ingredients. Initially, right after cooking, they were very slightly juicy,
but after sitting in the fridge overnight they thickened up. I like cold
bread and butter and bean sandwiches--but the beans have got to have enough
body not to smush off the bread when cold. That's the way the beans are
now. When warm they do not run about on the plate. They are not al dente,
but the beans have held together and have more body than el cheapo canned
beans and I think more body than Bush's beans. Does that help?
Janet

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sep 13, 2005, 10:51:57 AM9/13/05
"Leila" <leila_a...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <11ic7gi...@corp.supernews.com>,
> > "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
> >
> > > "By the way, Carol, I made the beans the other day. First time I'd done
> > > beans in the pressure cooker.
>
> > With the black soy beans (the only low carb bean), they do benefit from
> > a 24 hour soak tho' or they are a bit tough. Soaking seems to really
> > tenderize them.
>
> I learned from Lorna Sass (of the several PC cookbooks) to soak beans
> under pressure. I just can't remember exactly the formula - is it bring
> to pressure, then turn off fire and let cool naturally? Or cook under
> pressure two minutes, then cool rapidly? (I think not the latter,
> because rapid cooling hurts the beans). Anyway, drain the beans and
> start over with fresh water. Reduces cooking time by far. Pintos were
> cooked in 12 minutes when "pre-soaked" this way.
>
> Couldn't say if this helps black soy beans any. Maybe. Maybe if they
> need a 24 hour soak in cold water, you could try 2 minutes under
> pressure, then cool off naturally. Drain of course. Just a suggestion.

Black soy beans have almost no starch. They are all fiber and protein so
tended to be a bit tougher if I did not soak them. This last batch came
out tender as could be. :-)

I started the pressure cooker and let it come up to full pressure, then
kept it on high for a full 20 minutes. I then turned it off and let it
come down on it's own a bit, about 5 minutes after removing it from the
burner, then I force cooled it by running cold water over the lid in the
sink.

When the pressure indicator released. I opened it, stirred and served.

2 minutes is not long enough IMHO.

> My 4 year old objects to visible onions - he's also obsessed with beans
> and rice right now. I cook pintos with nothing more than a KNorr
> bouillon cube, some olive oil, and possibly a bay leaf when I can find
> one (The bay leaf packet has gone missing). Add salt and pepper to
> taste afterwards. Those pintos are yummy! Nobody can believe I didn't
> add stuff to 'em.
>
> Leila

Sometimes some foods are delicious enough on their own to not need much
help. :-)

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sep 13, 2005, 10:53:25 AM9/13/05
In article <4326c3d4$0$2799$892e...@authen.white.readfreenews.net>,
"Shaun aRe" <shau...@zenlunatics.co.uk> wrote:

Bicarb solution?
I'm not familiar with that?

Shaun, can you get black soy beans there?
Kath might be interested if she wants to fool
anymore with low carbing. The nutritional breakdown
on those things almost reads like science fiction for legumes! :-)

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2005, 11:35:28 AM9/13/05
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> said:

> I used the Mirro recipe amount for a 6 quart pressure cooker. That was 4
> cups dry beans and soak, covered overnight(8 hours), drain, then 4 cups
> water in the pressure cooker with all the beans and the rest of the
> ingredients. Initially, right after cooking, they were very slightly juicy,
> but after sitting in the fridge overnight they thickened up. I like cold
> bread and butter and bean sandwiches--but the beans have got to have enough
> body not to smush off the bread when cold. That's the way the beans are
> now. When warm they do not run about on the plate. They are not al dente,
> but the beans have held together and have more body than el cheapo canned
> beans and I think more body than Bush's beans. Does that help?

Yes, it does. Thank you very much. I'll revise the recipe directions
based on your experience. :-)

Carol

Leila

Sep 13, 2005, 2:58:44 PM9/13/05

I meant 2 minutes under pressure for the presoak. Let cool naturally,
drain, then cook under pressure for however long you would have with a
24 hour cold soak. 20 minutes, you say. Sounds right.

Wonder if it's worth trying next time you suddenly want black soybeans
and haven't done the 24 hour pre-soak.

Leila

Leila

Sep 13, 2005, 3:02:00 PM9/13/05

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I used the Mirro recipe amount for a 6 quart pressure cooker. That was 4
> cups dry beans and soak, covered overnight(8 hours), drain,

Right - this is the step Lorna Sass suggests you replace with a 2
minute pressure cooker pre-soak. Cook cleaned, rinsed beans in water 2
minutes under pressure. Let cool naturally (so that takes a while, 1/2
hr to 45 min.), drain, then proceed with recipe as below.

But I would be worried about 4 cups of water for what had been 4 cups
dry beans. Seems it wouldn't be enough water to cover. Is that how it
works in this recipe? I wouldn't want the PC to explode, which it could
if it didn't have enough water.

>then 4 cups
> water in the pressure cooker with all the beans and the rest of the
> ingredients.

> Janet

Leila

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sep 13, 2005, 3:19:06 PM9/13/05
"Leila" <leila_a...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I did that, and they were variable. :-) about 1/3 tender, 1/3 medium and
1/3 still a bit crunchy. Black soybeans are different.

I think if I did it again, I'd probably do 30 minutes.

However, I'm usually pretty good about 24 hour ahead meal planning as I
prefer to not have to nuke to thaw meats.

I've soaked beans for as long as 3 days with multiple water changes. My
housemate has this thing about cooking sprouted beans. Says they are
more nutritious.

And since I cook mostly for him, I allow for his quirks!
It's a lot more fun to cook for someone that appreciates it than to just
cook for me...

Cheers!

Janet Bostwick

Sep 13, 2005, 3:37:53 PM9/13/05

"Leila" <leila_a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

snip

> But I would be worried about 4 cups of water for what had been 4 cups
> dry beans. Seems it wouldn't be enough water to cover. Is that how it
> works in this recipe? I wouldn't want the PC to explode, which it could
> if it didn't have enough water.
snip>
Leila

I'll move the Mirro recipe out into the open list and we can discuss it
there.
Janet

The Cook

Sep 13, 2005, 3:50:33 PM9/13/05
On 12 Sep 2005 22:34:05 -0700, "Leila" <leila_a...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

It is not really necessary to put the beans under pressure for the
fast pre-soak. I do the pre-soak by bringing the beans to a boil and
let the boil for a minute or two. Turn them off, cover and let sit
for a hour or so. Then change the water and cook under pressure or
just regularly.
--
Susan N.

Shaun aRe

Sep 16, 2005, 6:49:48 AM9/16/05

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <Ome...@brokenegz.com> wrote in message

Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) - You never seen the 'quick soak' packages
of dried peas? They have large, round, flat tablets in the pack to add to
the soak water - that's bicarb!

I just add a few heaped spoons full of bicarbonate of soda to the soak
water.

> Shaun, can you get black soy beans there?
> Kath might be interested if she wants to fool
> anymore with low carbing. The nutritional breakdown
> on those things almost reads like science fiction for legumes! :-)

Yes, we can get just about all of them! We're kinda swamped with healthfood
places of all kinds here - thanks for the tip!