Southwestern Soup/Stew ideas.

1 view

Nordic

Nov 5, 2002, 5:51:18 PM11/5/02
Hello All

I've got this idea to do a soup/stew with a south western flavor to it. I've
got my beef and peppers and cilantro and corn. Any other ideas that might
make this a tasty meal?

--

dbfg

Nordic

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow-points expand on impact!
They who laugh last, think slowest!
Life is too short to not throttle the Hell out of it!

Dimitri

Nov 5, 2002, 6:27:51 PM11/5/02

"Nordic" <nordi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello All
>
> I've got this idea to do a soup/stew with a south western flavor to it.
I've
> got my beef and peppers and cilantro and corn. Any other ideas that might
> make this a tasty meal?
>
> --
>
> dbfg
>
> Nordic

IMHO for a stew several steps are essential.

1. Start with a mirepoix
2. Be sure any meat is well browned.
3. 2 elements are essential to Southwestern cuisine Cumin and Hot
(chilies)
4. Complimenting those basics are oregano, epassote, laurel (bay), garlic
and onion not necessarily in that order.
5. Additionally tomatillos and roasted chiles will add depth as will any
chicken or pork stock.
6. A slurry of masa harina is a nice thickener, as are tortillas which
have been whizzed in a blender.

Dimitri

lfaz

Nov 5, 2002, 7:04:35 PM11/5/02

> I've got this idea to do a soup/stew with a south western flavor to it.
I've
> got my beef and peppers and cilantro and corn. Any other ideas that might
> make this a tasty meal?

Tomato in the stock of choice? Lots of cumin? a sprinkling of shredded
cheese, cilantro and finely chopped green onions as garnish? A splash of
lime juice?

While it cooks, hum "The Mexian Hat Dance". This makes all southwestern food
taste better.

SportKite1

Nov 5, 2002, 7:13:27 PM11/5/02
>From: "Nordic" nordi...@yahoo.com

>I've got this idea to do a soup/stew with a south western flavor to it. I've
>got my beef and peppers and cilantro and corn. Any other ideas that might
>make this a tasty meal?

Well, not knowing how your assembly is gonna happen I'll just add extra
ingredients.

Black Beans
Onions
Garlic
Toasted Cumin Seed (grind in coffee grinder or mortar/pestal)

BUT...since I have made Fiesta Black Bean soup (my own creation...lol) I'll
tell ya how I make it.

Finely chop:
One large yellow onion
Half a red bell pepper
Half a yellow bell pepper
One jalapeno

Sweat in large pot - with olive oil. Season with a bit of sea salt.

When the mixture is cooked through, add 3 cloves garlic finely minced. Stir
through for a minute or two or until the smell comes through, called
blossoming.

Set aside.

Now, what you want to do is take your beef (I usually make this Vegan but let's
go with a beef version for you, darlin - cut into one inch squares and fry in
bacon fat until carmelized and well browned on all sides. Do it in batches. You
don't want to steam the beef! After each batch place into the same pot as the
vegies.When your beef is done, add a little more fat/or olive oil..hehehehe,
depending on what you started with, and cook 1 T ground cumin seeds, 2 T chili
powder, 1 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp oregano and stir around in the oil for a minute
or two. Add a cup of Beer, scrape the pan well and add to the vegie/beef pot.

Add a quart of vegie broth, or water and beef/vegie base - I prefer vegie
broth, particularly Imagine. Simmer until the beef is tender. Add more liquid
as needed, taste for seasonings. and add a cup of corn, a cup of black beans,
rinsed, a chopped, seeded tomato. Simmer for 30 minutes and add freshly chopped
cilantro at the finish.

Now this is gonna be more of a hearty soup, but if you want something a little
thicker you can add some masa flour, or a slurry of cornstarch/water. Be
careful, you don't want to overthicken it.

Ellen

P Haine

Nov 6, 2002, 10:31:19 AM11/6/02
Nordic wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I've got this idea to do a soup/stew with a south western flavor to it. I've
> got my beef and peppers and cilantro and corn. Any other ideas that might
> make this a tasty meal?

How about substituting hominy for the corn? A last-minute squeeze of lime
might add a little edge to it, too.

What time's dinner?

Cheers!
Peg

Dan Abel

Nov 6, 2002, 10:58:04 AM11/6/02
In article <GXXx9.2499$fn6.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Nordic" <nordi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've got this idea to do a soup/stew with a south western flavor to it. I've
> got my beef and peppers and cilantro and corn. Any other ideas that might
> make this a tasty meal?

It takes beans to make chili!

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Thierry Gerbault

Nov 6, 2002, 12:30:12 PM11/6/02
P Haine <ml...@cornell.edu> wrote in news:3DC935C7...@cornell.edu:

That reminds me of a casserole I used to make... Browned ground beef
mixed or layered with hominy, various peppers, chunks of tomatoes, some
taco strips, shredded cheese, all seasoned with "taco seasoning" and
cilantro, and topped with more shredded cheese. Baked at 350°F for 35-45
minutes.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Victoria's Secret is that she dresses like a slut.

Bob

Nov 6, 2002, 1:58:08 PM11/6/02
Thierry wrote:

> That reminds me of a casserole I used to make... Browned ground beef
> mixed or layered with hominy, various peppers, chunks of tomatoes, some
> taco strips, shredded cheese, all seasoned with "taco seasoning" and
> cilantro, and topped with more shredded cheese. Baked at 350°F for 35-45
> minutes.

A question and a comment:

Q: What are taco strips?

C: It seems that rather than cooking the cilantro into the casserole, it
might benefit by having the cilantro sprinkled on top after cooking.

Bob

Felice Friese

Nov 6, 2002, 4:35:14 PM11/6/02

"Dan Abel" <da...@sonic.net> wrote in message

Hoo boy! That ought to start something!

Felice

Thierry Gerbault

Nov 6, 2002, 6:23:55 PM11/6/02
"Bob" <virtu...@mail.com> wrote in

> Thierry wrote:
>
>> That reminds me of a casserole I used to make... Browned ground beef
>> mixed or layered with hominy, various peppers, chunks of tomatoes,
>> some taco strips, shredded cheese, all seasoned with "taco seasoning"
>> and cilantro, and topped with more shredded cheese. Baked at 350°F
>> for 35-45 minutes.
>
> A question and a comment:
>
> Q: What are taco strips?

Tacos, torn in strips.

> C: It seems that rather than cooking the cilantro into the casserole,
> it might benefit by having the cilantro sprinkled on top after
> cooking.

I should have said that. I don't cook the cilantro in the casserole, but
just sprinkle after baking, also offering additional at the table, along
with dishes of pico de gallo and green tomato salsa.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Diplomacy is saying "nice doggy" until you find a rock.

Bob

Nov 6, 2002, 6:44:08 PM11/6/02
Thierry wrote:

> > Q: What are taco strips?
>
> Tacos, torn in strips.

Sorry to harp on this, but do you mean soft tortillas torn into strips? To
me, a taco is a folded tortilla with some kind of filling, not the kind of
thing that could be torn into strips.

And if it *is* tortillas, do you use corn or flour tortillas? (The reason I
ask is that corn tortillas might seem redundant, since you've already got
hominy in the casserole, but flour tortillas don't quite seem right
either...now that I think about it, saltines would probably be a good
substitution.)

Bob

Thierry Gerbault

Nov 7, 2002, 1:05:00 AM11/7/02
"Bob" <virtu...@mail.com> wrote in

Where was my head? Yes, of course, I meant tortillas and wrote tacos.
I'm sorry for the confusion. Redundant or not, I use corn tortillas
rather than flour. There really is a difference in the taste between the
tortillas and the hominy. I think saltines would dissolve.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Never let a machine know you're in a hurry.

pensioner

Nov 11, 2002, 10:03:48 AM11/11/02
'Twas said...

> IMHO for a stew several steps are essential.
>
> 1. Start with a mirepoix
> 2. Be sure any meat is well browned.
> 3. 2 elements are essential to Southwestern cuisine Cumin and Hot
> (chilies)
> 4. Complimenting those basics are oregano, epassote, laurel (bay),
garlic
> and onion not necessarily in that order.
> 5. Additionally tomatillos and roasted chiles will add depth as will
any
> chicken or pork stock.
> 6. A slurry of masa harina is a nice thickener, as are tortillas which
> have been whizzed in a blender.
>
> Dimitri

whizzing in a blender, the images boggle. However an award winning soup is
the Chipotle cream from Blue Corn in Santa Fe.

Roasted slightly charred corn, chipotles in adobo, real cream, not half and
half not quarter and a half, pukka real manufacturers cream, a corn salsa to
accent the top.

You could use some of goldings pig and make a fine green chili stew. SOAR
or whatever they are now has several recipes.

pensioner (DOD #-4, RFC since andreas.com, former cow orker)

Sheryl Rosen

Nov 11, 2002, 10:31:27 AM11/11/02
in article oFPz9.4267$JB5.18...@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com, pensioner at
al_k...@pacbell.net wrote on 11/11/02 10:03 AM:

There is a soup put out by Progresso called "Southwestern Corn Chowder".
It's exactly what it sounds like...a creamy corn and potato soup, with just
a bit of jalapeno in it for kick. Not too much! Just enough to add a little
zing to my lunch at work! I'm hooked on it!

I might try to make it from scratch. I'm not complaining about the price,
it's been 99 cents a can every couple of weeks, and lunch for a dollar is
pretty reasonable...but if i can make it less expensively and better--why
not?

I made a big pot of barley mushroom soup a couple weeks ago. Brought it for
lunch every day that week....people were jealous.

hahabogus

Nov 11, 2002, 11:11:01 AM11/11/02
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote in

This is an excellent soup and easily modified to include say Hot Italian
sausages. Basic taste can be described as salsa like. I used Penzeys Sunny
Spain as the Lemon Pepper....strong stuff that Sunny Spain.

Joan Lunden's Chicken Tortilla Soup

Joan: this is absolutely one of my favorite recipes -- it brings back great
memories of my college years in Mexico City. It is a delicious Spicy
Chicken Tortilla Soup that is quick, easy and great for an outdoor lunch or
a light summer supper.

In a large saucepan, saute:
1 chopped medium onion (about 1 cup) and
2 minced garlic cloves (about 2 tsps) in
2 tbsps vegetable oil
over low heat for 5 minutes until onion is softened.

Add:
one 4 ounce can green chiles -- chopped,
a 15-ounce can italian-style stewed tomatoes (chopped and with their own
juice),
4 cups chicken broth,
1 tsp lemon pepper,
2 tsps worcestershire sauce,
1 tsp chili powder,
1 tsp ground cumin and
1/2 tsp hot sauce.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsp flour with 1/2 cup water and whisk into
soup. Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes.

Simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in 1/3 cup non-fat sour cream, salt, and pepper to taste.

I love to make my own tortilla chips for garnish, they are easy to make,
low in fat and delicious.

Cut 4 store-bought corn tortillas into 1/4 inch strips. Lay them on a
baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven
for 10 minutes or until they are lightly toasted and crispy. Sprinkle
lightly with salt if desired. Garnish strips across the top of the finished
soup with fresh coriander.

Posted by Charleen on December 15, 1998

--

Defender of the Beet.

The Cook

Nov 11, 2002, 12:43:46 PM11/11/02
Posted and emailed.

Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>There is a soup put out by Progresso called "Southwestern Corn Chowder".
>It's exactly what it sounds like...a creamy corn and potato soup, with just
>a bit of jalapeno in it for kick. Not too much! Just enough to add a little
>zing to my lunch at work! I'm hooked on it!
>
>I might try to make it from scratch. I'm not complaining about the price,
>it's been 99 cents a can every couple of weeks, and lunch for a dollar is
>pretty reasonable...but if i can make it less expensively and better--why
>not?
>
>I made a big pot of barley mushroom soup a couple weeks ago. Brought it for
>lunch every day that week....people were jealous.

Here is a low fat version of corn chowder I got from a friend. I have
not tried it but it looks ok. I am thinking about making 1/2 recipe
and adding a little jalapeno when cooking the onion and celery. I
also do no know how much it makes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Low Fat Corn Chowder

Recipe By :Sandy Repasky
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 medium onion -- chopped
4 stalks celery -- chopped
4 medium potato -- diced
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
60 ounces frozen corn -- thawed *
1 can evaporated skim milk
salt -- to taste
pepper -- to taste
bacon bits

Saute celery and onion in some of the chicken stock until tender.

In another pan (large) cook potatoes in chicken stock until almost
tender.

Puree 2 packages (40 ounces) of corn. Use some stock if needed.

Add blended corn and whole corn to the stock Add evaporated milk,
salt, pepper, celery and onion.

Heat through. Serve with bacon bits.

NOTES : 3 20 ounce bags.

Better made the day before. Freezes well.

Source:
"Susan Ness"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2365 Calories; 16g Fat (5.6%
calories from fat); 91g Protein; 510g Carbohydrate; 57g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 13407mg Sodium. Exchanges: 29 1/2 Grain(Starch); 6
Vegetable; 2 1/2 Non-Fat Milk.

P Haine

Nov 12, 2002, 11:36:22 AM11/12/02
Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I made a big pot of barley mushroom soup a couple weeks ago. Brought it for
> lunch every day that week....people were jealous.

RECIPE! RECIPE!

Peg

PENMART01

Nov 12, 2002, 12:04:09 PM11/12/02

Not sure about Sheryl's . . . but this makes a creamy barley soup; feel free to
alter as you will.

Beef Barley Soup w/'Shrooms

Use 10 quart SS pot.
Brown 2 lbs. beef bones + 1 lb. diced beef chuck (1/2" dice).
Add 2 lg. diced onions - lightly saute.
Add 6 quarts cold water.
Add 1 lb. barley - rinsed.
Add 3 bay leaves
Add 1/4 cup chopped parsely stems - reserve leaves for garnish.
Bring to boil - lower heat - partialy cover -
simmer 2 hours - add water as needed.
Add 2 lbs. sliced 'Shrooms (mushrooms) - simmer 1/2 hour more.
Add 1 cup each, diced carrots and celery - simmer until tender (1/2 hr.).
Remove bones, and bay leaves.
Season to taste w/salt & pepper.
Serve with chopped parsely leaves as garnish.
---

Sheldon . . . Rocket Scientist
````````````

P Haine

Nov 12, 2002, 5:16:03 PM11/12/02
to PENMART01
PENMART01 wrote:

Sounds good. Thanks, Sheldon.
Peg

Sheryl Rosen

Nov 12, 2002, 7:29:06 PM11/12/02
in article 3DD12E09...@cornell.edu, P Haine at ml...@cornell.edu wrote
on 11/12/02 11:36 AM:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Mushroom Barley Soup

Recipe By: Sheryl Rosen
Serving Size: 6
Preparation Time: 1:30
Categories: Crockpot Dinner sheryl's Fall Soups & Stews
Soups Soup

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
6 ounces sliced mushrooms (fresh)
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 cup pearl barley
1/2 envelope Lipton's Onion-Mushroom Soup mix
1 small onion diced
2 large carrots sliced
2 large celery stalks, with leaves diced small
1 garlic clove diced
8 cups water
1 tablespoon butter, oil or chicken fat
1 teaspoon Bonnes Herbes
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1 pinch thyme
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Place dried porcini mushrooms in a small bowl with about half a cup hot
water. Let soak.

Over medium-high heat, melt butter or chicken fat in bottom of a 3 quart
dutch oven (or deep, heavy pan). Saute onion and garlic until translucent.
Add celery, saute until translucent. Add fresh mushrooms and carrots. Cook
until mushrooms begin to brown slightly. Add the soup mix, and the 8 cups
water. Stir in the reconstituted mushrooms, water and all. Add the herbs.
Stir in barley and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover and
reduce heat to low. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding pepper and salt as
desired.

Simmer about 45 min to an hour, until the barley is puffy and tender and the
soup has thickened.

ЛЛЛЛЛ
Notes: Trader Joe's sells dried porcini mushrooms in 2 ounce packages.
Use half a package. You can substitute 4 cups of stock (beef, chicken or
vegetable) for the soup mix. Reduce water to 4 cups.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 162 Calories; 1g Fat (3% calories
from fat); 5g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 49mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Vegetable
_____

Richard Periut

Nov 12, 2002, 8:48:14 PM11/12/02
Sounds like a very delicious recipe, but how much fat do the bones
render, and how do you remove it without refrigerating the concoction?

Regards,

Richard

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article <3DD12E09...@cornell.edu>, P Haine <ml...@cornell.edu> writes:
>

>>Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>>

>>>I made a big pot of barley mushroom soup a couple weeks ago. Brought it for
>>>lunch every day that week....people were jealous.
>>>
>>RECIPE! RECIPE!
>>

> Not sure about Sheryl's . . . but this makes a creamy barley soup; feel free to
> alter as you will.
>

> Beef Barley Soup w/'Shrooms

[SNIP]

--
We are merely refined apes, playing treacherous games with dangerous toys.

P Haine

Nov 13, 2002, 11:10:20 AM11/13/02
Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> ?????

> Notes: Trader Joe's sells dried porcini mushrooms in 2 ounce packages.
> Use half a package. You can substitute 4 cups of stock (beef, chicken or
> vegetable) for the soup mix. Reduce water to 4 cups.
>

> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 162 Calories; 1g Fat (3% calories
> from fat); 5g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 49mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Vegetable
> _____

Thanks, Sheryl. It sure is soup season!
Peg

Richard Periut

Nov 13, 2002, 12:26:19 PM11/13/02
I've used this one many times, and I love it. I had tasted one that
tasted more like celery soup. This one has a wonderful blend of the
veggies, and the ham does it justice.

Richard

BARLEY SOUP WITH HAM

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups

3 tb Vegetable oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
2 Carrots, diced
2 Ribs celery, diced
3/4 c Pearl barley
6 c Chicken broth
1 sm Imported bay leaf
1/4 ts Ground allspice
1/2 c Diced smoked ham
3 tb Unsalted butter
1/3 lb Fresh mushrooms, trimmed and
-chopped
3 ts Lemon juice
1 tb Fresh parsley leaves, minced

Put the oil and onion in a soup kettle, set over low heat, and cook
until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Raise heat to
medium, stir in the garlic and carrots, and stir-cook for one minute.
Add the celery and stir-cok for a minute. Add the barley, broth, bay
leaf, and allspice. Bring to the boil, skimming the top of the soup
as necessary. Simmer, covered, for about one hour, or until the
barley is tender. (The soup may be prepared in advance to this
point.)

Stir the ham into the piping hot soup and let simmer while you
prepare the mushrooms. Heat the butter in a small skillet, add the
mushrooms and lemon juice, and stir-cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in
the parsley. Add the mushroom mixture to the soup and simmer for 5
minutes longer. Discard the bay leaf. Season the soup with salt and
freshly- ground pepper to taste. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve
immediately.

Makes 5 servings.

[WASHINGTON POST Jan 11, 1989] Posted by Fred Peters.