Vegetarian Main Course for Son's Visit

Win Segal

Nov 15, 2002, 1:29:09 PM11/15/02
My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
family don't enjoy fish. Already made eggplant parmesan, which was a
success. So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!

Win

Cryambers

Nov 15, 2002, 1:43:27 PM11/15/02
"Win Segal" wi...@cyburban.com wrote:

This is a wonderful meatless main dish.

pat

Baked Rigatoni with Broccoli and Gorgonzola
Source: Didi Emmons, Vegetarian Planet
(4 Servings)

8 ounces dried rigatoni
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
1 1/3 cups ricotta cheese, whole-milk or part-skim
3 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or Asiago cheese

Bring a large pot of boiling salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and boil
it, stirring occasionally, until it is just tender. Drain the pasta and rinse
it well with cold water.

In a large skillet, combine the olive oil and garlic over low heat. Sauté the
garlic for 2 minutes or until the garlic releases its aroma (do not let it
brown). Turn up the heat and add the broccoli and 1 cup water. Cook the
broccoli, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until most of the water is evaporated.
Add the ricotta cheese and the Gorgonzola. Stir the sauce until it is nearly
smooth, and season it with salt and pepper.

In a bowl, combine the pasta, the cheese-broccoli sauce, the tomatoes, and 2/3
cup of the Parmesan or Asiago cheese. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if
necessary. (At this point you can refrigerate the mixture for baking later.)

Preheat the oven to 400F. Spoon the mixture into a 9-x-13-inch casserole dish.
Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the casserole. Bake the
casserole, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes (or a little longer if the mixture
has been refrigerated). Spoon the contents onto plates and serve.

Cryambers

Nov 15, 2002, 1:46:49 PM11/15/02
"Win Segal" wi...@cyburban.com wrote:

>So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
>veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!

Here's another one that's really good:

Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Source: Mollie Katzen, Moosewood Cookbook
(4-6 servings)

1 8-inch spaghetti squash
1 cup chopped onion
2 medium cloves crushed garlic
2 fresh tomatoes, medium-sized
1/2 pound, fresh, sliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper
1 cup cottage or ricotta cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella
1/4 cup freshly-chopped parsley
1 teaspoon basil
dash of thyme
1 cup fine bread crumbs
butter for sauteeing
Parmesan for the top

Preheat oven to 375F.

Slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Bake it,
face-down, on a buttered tray at 375F for about 30 minutes, or until easily
pierced by a fork. Cool until handleable. Scoop out insides.

While the squash bakes, saute the onions and garlic with salt, pepper,
mushrooms and herbs. When onions are soft, add freshly-chopped tomatoes. Cook
until most of the liquid evaporates.

Combine all ingredients. Pour into buttered 2-quart casserole. Top with lots
of grated Parmesan. Bake at 375F, uncovered, about 40 minutes.

pat

Priscilla H Ballou

Nov 15, 2002, 1:58:46 PM11/15/02
Win Segal <wi...@cyburban.com> quoth:

Pasta with a sauce loaded with mushrooms, peppers, onions, and so on.

Vegie chili.

Manicoti or stuffed shells if he'll eat dairy products.

Portobello burgers.

Priscilla
--
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
- Albert Einstein

McGeary

Nov 15, 2002, 3:27:42 PM11/15/02
In article <3dd53c4d$0$198$45be...@newscene.com>, Win Segal
<wi...@cyburban.com> wrote:

I frequently make this to take to pot-luck dinners, and I always get
several requests for the recipe:

BAKED PENNE PASTA WITH WILD MUSHROOM RAGOUT

1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups hot water

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1 3/4 cups finely chopped onions
8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, chopped
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced

2 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives

12 ounces penne pasta
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs made from French bread

Place porcini in small bowl. Add 2 cups hot water and let soften 20
minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove porcini. Reserve liquid. Coarsely
chop porcini.

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add button and
shiitake mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes. Mix in porcini and reserved
soaking liquid, leaving any sediment behind in bowl. Simmer over
medium-high heat 10 minutes.

Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium saucepan over
medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly until golden, about 2
minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir until sauce thickens and boils,
about 3 minutes. Stir into mushroom mixture. Simmer 2 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and chives. Season sauce
to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

(Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over
medium-low heat before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Cook
pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm
to bite. Drain well. Return to pot. Add mushroom sauce and toss well to
coat. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and
remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over. Bake casserole until heated through
and light golden, about 25 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8.

Dimitri

Nov 15, 2002, 3:36:30 PM11/15/02

"Win Segal" <wi...@cyburban.com> wrote in message

If you go here there are the following 4 recipes from the Moosewood
Restaurant.

http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/recipe.htm

Fennel Leek Soup
Mexican Tofu Scramble
Italian Stuffed Portobello's
Indian Curried Potato Wrap

If you do not know of the place maybe you should.

They already have 9 cookbooks it is probably the premier vegetarian
restaurant in the US.

Dimitri

Gina *

Nov 15, 2002, 4:21:06 PM11/15/02

>Vegetarian Main Course for Son's Visit
>

>Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Nov
>15, 2002, 12:29pm (EST-1) From:
>wi...@cyburban.com (Win Segal)
May
I make a referral to rec.food.veg.cooking?

Gina
Heretic,Infidel and White Devil extraodinaire

Synic

Nov 15, 2002, 4:53:01 PM11/15/02

Along with the other suggestions, I'd suggest looking out for dishes
with lots of at least one of: potato, pasta or cheese.

One of the problems with vegetarian food that meat eaters find is that the
meal doesn't leave the accustomed heaviness of the stomach. As a result,
it can leave a lot of non-vegetarians feeling a bit unsatisfied afterwards.

Potato, pasta and cheese are ingredients that make good stomach fillers.

ravinwulf

Nov 15, 2002, 6:38:19 PM11/15/02
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 05:53:01 +0800, Synic <flavp+...@nhgbaf.arg.nh>
wrote:

>Win Segal <wi...@cyburban.com> wrote:
>> My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
>> thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
>> family don't enjoy fish. Already made eggplant parmesan, which was a
>> success. So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
>> veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!

This is one of my favorites from my vegetarian years; it's very good.

Regards,
Tracy R.

Black Beans & Rice

beans, favorites, south american, vegetarian

3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 medium onion; chopped
2 medium sweet green/red peppers; seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic; minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon crushed oregano
3 cups cooked black beans; drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
2 medium tomatoes; chopped

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons dark rum
3 cups cooked brown rice

In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add onion
and saute, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add peppers and
garlic and cook 3 minutes longer. Add cumin and oregano and cook
briefly, stirring. Add beans, lemon juice, frozen o.j., tomatoes, and
salt and pepper to taste and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, adding a
bit of stock, water, or tomato juice if needed to thin the mixture to
desired consistency. Mix 1 cup of the bean mixture with rum and mash
to a paste with the back of a fork. Add the puree to the pot, set over
low heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Serve over hot, cooked
rice with sliced bananas on the side.

Contributor: Quick Vegetarian Cooking

SportKite1

Nov 15, 2002, 7:41:34 PM11/15/02
>From: "Win Segal"

>My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
>thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
>family don't enjoy fish

You guys really need to experiment with different varieties of fish. There are
so many flavors, textures and ways of preparing it. I bet there are a couple
you would really like. ;)

That aside - here are my fave vegie meals and I eat meat/fish and chicken.

"Make your own burritoes" - tortillias filled with lots of yummy fillings
including beans, rice, fajita style peppers/onions, guacamole, cheese, salsa,
lettuce, sour cream, etc.

Spaghetti Marinara (lots of garlic, fresh basil and red pepper flakes) with
Garlic Bread and Salad.

Vegie Fried Rice (stir-fry day old brown basmati rice with finely cut vegies
including carrots, zuchinni, broccoli, plus peas, bean sprouts, mushrooms, egg,
lots of garlic, fresh ginger, some sesame oil, vegie broth, soy sauce) - vegie
potstickers, hot and sour soup.

Vegie Pasticcio, greek salad, pita bread

Ellen

Priscilla Ballou

Nov 15, 2002, 7:53:41 PM11/15/02
In article <20021115194134...@mb-cu.aol.com>,
sport...@aol.com (SportKite1) wrote:

> >From: "Win Segal"
>
> >My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
> >thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
> >family don't enjoy fish
>
> You guys really need to experiment with different varieties of fish. There
> are
> so many flavors, textures and ways of preparing it. I bet there are a couple
> you would really like. ;)

Not to mention shellfish. Y'all don't care for shrimp?

Priscilla
--
"As you get older, physical deterioration is offset by a larger world view
and a deeper sense of gratitude." Diane Keaton

Billy

Nov 15, 2002, 8:08:09 PM11/15/02
sport...@aol.com (SportKite1) wrote:

>You guys really need to experiment with different varieties of fish. There are
>so many flavors, textures and ways of preparing it. I bet there are a couple
>you would really like. ;)

Don't forget Fried Catfish............"The OTHER white meat".

<vbg>

SportKite1

Nov 15, 2002, 8:58:29 PM11/15/02
>From: Billy wsto...@icx.net

>Don't forget Fried Catfish............"The OTHER white meat".

yum. I love blackened catfish po'boys. What's your fave?

Ellen

Puester

Nov 15, 2002, 10:44:59 PM11/15/02
Win Segal wrote:

> So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
> veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!
>
> Win

This sounds like a lot of work, but note that most of the
ingredient list is herbs. It makes a delicious casserole
to serve when you know vegetarians are coming. The rest of
us treat it as a side dish with roast chicken or grilled
salmon, or...your choice! It's very tasty. I suppose
you could vary it with chopped fresh spinach instead of
the broccoli.

Broccoli-Rice Dinner Casserole serves ~10

1 1/2 c. brown rice (or white) 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
salt 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp olive oil 1 green pepper, sliced thin
1 large onion, chopped 2 lb. broccoli, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 lb. fresh grated gruyere
1/2 tsp. dill weed 1/2 lb. fresh grated parmesan
1 tsp. thyme 1/2 pint sour cream
1 tsp. oregano 1/2 c. dry roasted cashews

Cook rice as directed until tender and dry. Set aside.
Heat oil in your largest skillet; saute onion, garlic, dill,
thyme and oregano until onion starts to soften. Add parsley,
mushrooms, green pepper. Stir fry a few minutes, then add
broccoli. Stir until broccoli turns brighter green and becomes
crisp-tender. Add cashews and remove from heat.

Spread cooked rice in a 9x13 inch glass pan or similar sized
casserole. Cover with vegetable mixture, then cheeses.
Spread with sour cream. Bake 30 minutes at 350 deg. or until
mixture bubbles and cheese is melted.

Chris and Bob Neidecker

Nov 16, 2002, 12:17:14 AM11/16/02

"ravinwulf" <ravin...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> This is one of my favorites from my vegetarian years; it's very good.
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.
>

> Black Beans & Rice
>
> beans, favorites, south american, vegetarian

<Yummy sounding recipe snipped....>

I make something very similar to this, only I add a little crumbled, cooked
Italian sausage. I know it doesn't fit the topic, but it's really terrific.
I splash in a little hot sauce, too.

Chris

Chris and Bob Neidecker

Nov 16, 2002, 12:32:09 AM11/16/02

"Win Segal" <wi...@cyburban.com> wrote in message

The following is a recipe that I think is part of the rfc cookbook. I've
made it a bunch of times and just love it. My husband likes it, too. We've
had it as a side dish (with steak and crusty French bread), but I prefer it
as a main course over angel hair pasta (with just a tiny tad of grated
parmesan). Our dinner guest (on the angel hair night) liked it a lot, as
well.

At first, I thought the recipe looked too simple, and tried jazzing it up a
bit with garlic, herbs, onions, etc. But I've found that it's really best
exactly as written.

Best of all: if you cut up the veggies ahead of time, you can cook it in a
snap and have more time to enjoy your son's visit. Better yet...you can
work on the chopping together!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Portobellos and Peppers

Recipe By :Tammy McNiff
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups, Salads & Vegetables

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 sweet red peppers (capsicum), sliced thinly
3 portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan. Add
pepper strips and sauté approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch thick slices. Add mushrooms and
remaining tablespoon of oil to the peppers and sauté, stirring frequently,
until mushrooms are cooked through. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for a
minute or two until the vegetables are glazed. Salt and pepper to taste.

4 servings.

Source:
"California, USA"

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Nov 16, 2002, 2:19:26 AM11/16/02

You already have lots of possibilities. I would add pasta putanesca.
It includes tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, and anchovies in the
sauce.

You can vary it to suit yourself and what you have on hand. Some
people use both green and ripe olives. Anchovies may be the salty ones
in can or jar, or they could be th eoil cured sort, much gentler

I like the bitter accents I get by pitting Morroccan oil-cured olives,
cut in two.

If you have local ripened plum tomatoes, you can blanch, peel and seed
them. You can use some local and some canned Italian San Marzano
tomatoes.

When you have gone through a dozen or so variants, you can add a new
ingredient if you feel like it. You can also leave one of th ebasics
out if you don't have it around.

Pasta with pesto genovese is a very easy main course. For the pesto
you need nuts (pignoli are traditional, but walnuts can be very nice(,
garlic, basil, and olive oil. Recipes are everywhere.

You can take off from that and use something else instead of basil,
spinache, for example. Or if you want a bitter effect, rape (broccoli
rabe).

Casseroles based on beans ofer endless possibilities.

Corn

In summertime, get freshly picked sweet corn. Scrape the corn from the
cob right away and zap it in the microwave to stop it from converting
its sugar, and chill until you want to use it.

To finish, saute some garlic with a hot pepper (geared to your
audience) and whatever else it suits your fancy to throw in. Add the
corn and finish cooking.

Risottos and farottos--endless possibilities.

A farotto with wild porcini (cepes) when you can find them, or
Slippery-jacks.

Cultivated shiitake mushrooms are quite flavorful when the wild ones
are not around. Dried porcini from Italy is a bargain at $50/lb. A bag
of them goes a long way.

I am not vegetarian, but I have no trouble finding things to feed
young relatives who are. And, I woudn't give them anything I don't
enjoy myself.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Biologists think they are chemists, chemists think they are phycisists,
physicists think they are gods, and God thinks He is a mathematician." Anon

st...@temple.edu

Nov 16, 2002, 9:31:38 AM11/16/02

There are tons of vegetarian recipes to be found just buy going to
http://www.google.com and typing in "vegetarian recipes" as your search
criterion. There are probably dozens of recipes just for vegetarian
lasagna to be found by doing a web search.

Pan Ohco

Nov 16, 2002, 12:21:31 PM11/16/02

>Win Segal <wi...@cyburban.com> wrote:
>> My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
>> thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
>> family don't enjoy fish. Already made eggplant parmesan, which was a
>> success. So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
>> veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!

How about steak ( my fravorite veggie) for the meat eaters with a side
of pasta primavera, and the pasta for the main dish for the
vegeterian.

It would not be right to limit the meal of the rest of the family
because one of the members have changed from the norm of the family.

Pan Ohco

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing
all possible evil of evil men." Edmund Burke

LIMEYNO1

Nov 16, 2002, 1:44:46 PM11/16/02
* Exported from Mastercook *

My Red Dragon Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Family

MM by Mark Satterly
4 ounces Adzuki beans, soaked (red
Beans about the size of
Small
Lenters but fat)
2 ounces Brown rice, soaked
Water for boiling
1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
8 ounces Carrots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
2 tablespoons Tomato paste
1 teaspoon Parsley
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Basil
1/2 teaspoon Marjoram
1 1/4 cups Bean stock
Salt & pepper
3 cups Mashed potatoes

Wash the beans & rice in plenty of cold water. Combine about 4 cups of
water with beans & rice & cook for 5o minutes or until the beans are
soft. Drain, reserving the stock for later.

Heat oil in a skillet. Fry the onions for 3 minutes. Add the carrots &
cookk covered for 5 minutes. Add the cooked beans & rice. Stir well &
let saute for a few minutes, ensuring that the mixture does not burn.
Combine the siy sauce, tomato paste, herbs & stock. Mix well & pour
into the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, partially
cover & simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring frquently to prevent it
burning. Add more stock if necessary. Transfer into a casserole.

Top the cooked vegetables with mashed potatoes. Bake in a preheated
oven at 350F for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned. Serve
with vegetables or a green salad.

Posted by Mark Satterly

From Sarah Brown, "Vegetarian Kitchen"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten
Son of God is the object of

http://www.peagramfamily.com

mau...@webtv.net

Nov 16, 2002, 5:04:39 PM11/16/02
examples of washday ,ancestors version ,
soup beans fresh home made bread ,
tomatos onions pickles, catsup vinegar ,
crackers if desired ,
\\\\\\or[[[[[[
tunanoodle casserole, tuna potato casserole,

salmon patties ,.....loaf ,,,,,,,cold in chefs salad olives boiled egges
radishes, cheese chunks ,broc bits califlowers chunks, celery dipped in
peanutbutter,

mau...@webtv.net

Nov 16, 2002, 5:27:59 PM11/16/02
paul prudholmes ,louisiana granmothers old time noodles
before his heart surgery,
a qt of cream thick, butter ,simmering ,
fresh rolled noodles ,cut thick,
sliced off ,in rings dropped in simmer ing broth of creamybutter ,

nearly sinful solid fat ,but ummnnhh good
served up with what ever side or salad ,
shrimp ,pollock fish, unbreaded,slab one lb ,crab cakes fried up in the
grill pan,

think of many items of nonmeat dishes we eat ,never thinking its
meatless,
home rolled out thick egg noodles ,in ham bone broth red bone fat
boiling beans in under,salty spicy ,hot new fresh bread ,

golden thick chewey little baking powder added to rise them,

amanas onion pie ,pie dough crust ,about peck onions cutin rings fried
in butter simmered put in pie crust pan --cover with top dough ,
put in oven like fruit pie ,
prick to let steam escape,
serve at thrashins dinner with rest of squash ,sweettatas, greenbeans
casserole,

flour ,breads noodles ,egg plants sliced like french fries ,rolled in
egg ,rolled in flour ,cornmeal ,etc what ever you like ,
fritters ,dumplings.
creamed potato soups,
for ever meatless ,

Peter Aitken

Nov 16, 2002, 5:59:42 PM11/16/02
<mau...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Tuna and salmon are *not* vegetarian!

--
Peter Aitken

Alan Zelt

Nov 16, 2002, 7:32:24 PM11/16/02

Well, that really would depend on what "level" of commitment you have
with being a vegetarian. For many fish is considered OK. Maybe that is
why I find little understanding of someone who claims to be a
vegetarian. Someone who says they are vegan is more understandable, if
not palatable.
--
Alan

"Bread is the soul of civilization"

.............Lionel Poilane

Win Segal

Nov 16, 2002, 6:06:13 PM11/16/02
Thanks for all the suggestions and recipes. Can't wait to start trying
them. Much appreciated.

Win

Billy

Nov 17, 2002, 8:07:01 AM11/17/02
Alan Zelt <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote:

>Well, that really would depend on what "level" of commitment you have
>with being a vegetarian. For many fish is considered OK. Maybe that is
>why I find little understanding of someone who claims to be a
>vegetarian.

Alan............I am NOT a vegetarian. My son "decided" that he was going to be
a vegetarian. My...but what he decided to eat and not eat was incredible. He
though that fish and chicken were ok. I informed him that if he ate anything
with a mother, he might not be what he was hoping to be. <vbg>

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences,
ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you
know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit! © W. H. Stoneman

Beth Thomas

Nov 17, 2002, 1:20:14 PM11/17/02

"Win Segal" <wi...@cyburban.com> wrote in message
> My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
> thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
> family don't enjoy fish. Already made eggplant parmesan, which was a
> success. So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
> veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!
>
> Win

Peanut Noodles with gingered vegetables and tofu
.....recipe is on epicurious.com...very good, and easy to add/change things.
I have omitted the tofu and replaced it with shrimp and also chicken.
Also....non-tofu eaters can't tell it is tofu, just seems like one more
thing in the dish.
Beth

blake murphy

Nov 18, 2002, 11:07:04 AM11/18/02
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:32:24 GMT, Alan Zelt
<alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote:

>Peter Aitken wrote:
>>

>> Tuna and salmon are *not* vegetarian!
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken
>>
>> Remove the crap from my email address before using.
>
>Well, that really would depend on what "level" of commitment you have
>with being a vegetarian. For many fish is considered OK. Maybe that is
>why I find little understanding of someone who claims to be a
>vegetarian. Someone who says they are vegan is more understandable, if
>not palatable.

some years ago my boss was astounded to find a co-worker - who as a
vegetarian asked him to ask his wife not to use a certain cake mix for
office items because it contained lard - chomping down on some fried
chicken.

your pal,
harlan

Donna Pattee

Nov 18, 2002, 12:15:21 PM11/18/02
In article <3dd53c4d$0$198$45be...@newscene.com>,
Win Segal <wi...@cyburban.com> wrote:
>My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month. This is a good
>thing. But he has become a vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the
>family don't enjoy fish. Already made eggplant parmesan, which was a
>success. So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried and true
>veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy. Thanks!
>
>Win

When I make lasagna, I layer sausage in one end only. That way, those of
use who don't care for sausage have vegetarian lasagna. I suppose if your
son objects to meat for moral or ethical reasons, you could just make a
small pan without meat, or everyone could have vegetarian lasagna.

Vegetarian entrees really aren't that hard:

bean and cheese burritos
cheese and onion enchiladas
hearty vegetable soup
spaghetti with sauce (have meatballs if some family members must have meat)
au gratin potatoes
macaroni with cheese (interesting cheese, not imitation cheese stuff)
spanakopita
peppers stuffed with potatoes and cheeses
peppers sutfed with rice and tomatoes
cheese fondue (use bread and veggies for dunking)
vegetarian chili (use several kinds of beans - not authentic, I know!)

Nancy Young

Nov 18, 2002, 12:34:35 PM11/18/02
blake murphy wrote:

> some years ago my boss was astounded to find a co-worker - who as a
> vegetarian asked him to ask his wife not to use a certain cake mix for
> office items because it contained lard - chomping down on some fried
> chicken.

Doesn't surprise me much, but that's something of a description of
why people worry about feeding people with special diet restrictions.
You have to scour your food offerings for something you're not
aware of. Personally, if I was a vegetarian, I'd bring my own cake
rather than run around asking people to change their cake mix.
Maybe everyone else liked the other cake more. Kinda rude.

nancy

Dan Abel

Nov 18, 2002, 2:44:56 PM11/18/02
In article <3DD924AB...@mail.monmouth.com>, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
> > some years ago my boss was astounded to find a co-worker - who as a
> > vegetarian asked him to ask his wife not to use a certain cake mix for
> > office items because it contained lard - chomping down on some fried
> > chicken.
>
> Doesn't surprise me much, but that's something of a description of
> why people worry about feeding people with special diet restrictions.

Doesn't surprise me either, but here are a couple of reasons:

1. Some people have a different hierarchy of what they eat. Lard comes
from a mammal, and some "vegetarians" will eat fish and fowl, but not
other meat.

2. Doctors will often ignore the potential health problems of certain
types of vegetarians (B12 shortage), expecially young ones. No sense
worrying about it right away, since chances are they will have dropped
this latest fad before it could possibly do any harm. My youngest has
been a vegetarian quite some time. Her oldest brother used to poke fun at
her all the time. Then he became a vegetarian. No more pokes. Then he
dropped it. Now he's a vegetarian again, and they cook together
sometimes.

I don't poke fun at vegetarians, and I know they take their decision very
seriously. Some of them have made a permanent change. Others may keep it
for years. My sister has been a vegetarian for ten years now. Still, if
I was organizing an office potluck, and knew that there was one person who
was a vegetarian six months ago, I would certainly confirm before I made
any special arrangements. If phrased politely, no one could possibly be
offended. Most vegetarians are pleased that people remember their
preference, and if their preference has changed, potential embarassment is
avoided.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Meghan

Nov 18, 2002, 7:27:48 PM11/18/02
My boyfriend is a vegetarian and he loves my carrot/tomato soup (just made it
again the other night) ... here's the approximate recipe (I never measure, just
go on feel) .. You will probably want to double it for 4 people, if you want
leftovers or have big eaters. I usually serve it with some kind of salad, like
cucumbers with lemon and salt. And some garlic bread (or just saltines with
butter - mom's old standby).

(I'm also new to this ng, so I hope I'm not breaking a taboo here)

Carrot/Tomato Soup

butter and olive oil (to taste)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 chunk of ginger (to taste -- I like a lot), minced
1-2 jalapenos, depending on spicy level, minced
Garlic to taste, chopped the way you like!
7-8 Carrots, chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes (I recommend the fire-roasted, really really good)
Pinches of: thyme, marjoram and small pinches of oregano and toasted cumin
seeds

I sautee the onion/ginger/jalapeno in some butter and olive oil until soft and
add the thyme, marjoram, oregano and cumin seeds and some fresh ground black
pepper.

Then add the carrots and sautee for a few minutes.

Add the can of tomatoes and another can of water. Salt to taste.

Cook until the carrots are soft and then blend with the hand blender until the
desired consistency. Taste for flavor and add salt/pepper if desired. I like
some chunks in it still, so it's not too smooth. I like to bite into some
carrot and bits of ginger.

To garnish, add a dollop of creme fraiche (or sour cream) and some flat leaf
parsley.

-Meghan

Plum Jam,

Nov 18, 2002, 7:22:50 PM11/18/02
familys with one or more vegans also contain ,regular eating adults and
kids ,
who eat fish eggs meat , and coexist,

Plum Jam,

Nov 18, 2002, 7:33:55 PM11/18/02
discuss of vegans and parents who are not vegans ,got us to talking
about tables of mixed items for whole family , then i got a letter from
abuse from webtv compliance,that my letter was inapropiate ,, i was
threatened, my service was threatened ,

diets were my career in vets hosp , diets ,food prep serving s portions,
prescription for food
followed by dietary division , ,
but in this news group ,fault finders and bullys reported my post as
offensive,

think a moment that each opinions important not just one guys, each one
must answer to
a higher power,

Plum Jam,

Nov 18, 2002, 7:40:19 PM11/18/02
Drs many times find very high cholestrol counts in some ,they prescribe
a fish entree, no meat ,
no cholestrol items,
if you knew why the vegie guy was hitting the trout ,snapping up the
snapper ,drs orders, then you wouldnt be threatening us guys who
understand diets,
our so called inapropiate e-mails ,make better sense,

TNT

Nov 18, 2002, 8:24:16 PM11/18/02

wi...@cyburban.com (Win Segal)
wrote:
My son has begun coming home for dinner once a month.
This is a good thing. But he has become a
vegetarian. He eats fish, but other's in the family don't enjoy
fish. Already made eggplant parmesan, which was a
success. So, I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a tried
and true veggie entree that the family of 4 will enjoy.
Thanks!
Win
Hi, I have been friends with vegetarians for years Tell your son that
fish is NOT
part of the vegetarian diet And I would also tell him it's NOT going to
kill him to eat meat once a month coming to YOUR home for dinner while
others in family don't enjoy fish

blake murphy

Nov 21, 2002, 6:05:59 AM11/21/02

maybe that's part of what astounded him, because she was a very sweet
person with a fine singing voice. i once asked her to pray for my
dad, even though i'm an atheist.

your pal,
blake