Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 3:14:23 AM11/4/01
I think I've got Thanksgiving dinner all set to go. Now, I just have to
buy the stuff, store it, find out whether we'll be three or four for
dinner, and off we go!

I discovered, when making my list of preferred dishes, that most of my
favorites (or new things I want to try) were gathered from various sources
on the internet and on this newsgroup. So, I marked my sources when
compiling the list.

Here's the list. (asterisks mark the dishes that can be prepared ahead by
a day or more) There'll probably be a second pie, but we haven't decided
which kind just yet. Oh, and I'd love to see what other people will be
serving this year!

Soup
*Cheddar Cheese Soup (Carnation)

Salad
*Watergate Salad (Kraft Foods)

Relishes
Green and Black Olives
Sweet and Dill Pickles
*Cranberry-Orange Relish (Joy of Cooking, via rfc)

Side Dishes
*Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon (Epicurious)
*Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese (Epicurious)
Basic Bread Stuffing - Thyme (James Beard, via Epicurious)
Gravy

Bread
Dinner Rolls (from frozen dough)

Meat
Roasted Turkey (Fat Man's Brine)

Dessert
*Cheesecake Pecan Pie (W.H. Stoneman, rfc)

Damsel
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Pup K9

Nov 4, 2001, 6:17:33 AM11/4/01

>Meat
>Roasted Turkey (Fat Man's Brine)

Hi,

I have marinated many things but, i have never done a brine. I've heard of them
but until yesterday I never saw or heard any one do a turkey. I just so
happened to catch the cooking show Cucina Amore' yesterday and they had done a
turkey like that.

I just have a couple of questions. Do you need to put the turkey in a
Non-Alluminum pan when doing the brine? I don't think I have a pan large enough
to hold a large trukey. Any suggestions? If possible, I would like to try to
put my turkey in a brine. I have a fresh 24 # turkey ordered for Thnaksgiving,
is that to large for a brine? If not, I would appreciate to see your reciep for
the brine that you'll be using?

Thanks in advance,

JoanL

Siobhan Perricone

Nov 4, 2001, 9:28:32 AM11/4/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 08:14:23 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>I think I've got Thanksgiving dinner all set to go. Now, I just have to
>buy the stuff, store it, find out whether we'll be three or four for
>dinner, and off we go!

We've managed to score friends for thanksgiving this year (just us an my
parents last year, no parents this year). We have a couple (Joe and Suri),
and two single friends (Mike and Chuck) this year. We worked out our menu
and it's sort of an ecclectic mix. Frank's excited because it means he can
make an italian dish like his family used to have for thanksgiving.

So here's our menu:

Nibbles:
Roasted mixed nuts (so much better than raw nuts)

Salad:
Something bunch of green things made by Suri 'cos she feels strongly we
should have salad. :)

Bread:
Challah by Suri

Italian Course:
Possibly homemade manicotti, lazagne, or raviolis by Frank

Main course:
Roast Turkey (possibly brined with Fat Man's brine) By Me
Never brined anything before, I should try it out on something before the
big day.

Sides:
Sage and Onion Bread Stuffing by Me
Sausage Stuffing (basically sage and onion with hot italian sausage in it)
by me
Mashed Sweet Potatoes by Joe
Giblet Gravy by Suri

Relish:
Cranberry-Orange Relish by Mike

Dessert:
Apple pie by Frank or me
Pumpkin pie by me
Whipped cream

Drinks:
Egg nog (up for debate, it's so rich)
Cold Hollow Cider
Milk

I think we need to skip breakfast and start eating around 10AM to make it
all fit without exploding. :)
--
Siobhan Perricone
I think it's going to be a long time until American society accepts fat

MareCat

Nov 4, 2001, 10:20:55 AM11/4/01
"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message

> I think I've got Thanksgiving dinner all set to go. Now, I just have to
> buy the stuff, store it, find out whether we'll be three or four for
> dinner, and off we go!

Neither my husband nor I have any family in Texas, so every year we host
Thanksgiving at our house and have two of our dearest friends over (used to
live in Houston, but now live an hour and a half away). They're my hubby's
sister's father-in-law and step-mother-in-law, so we consider them to be our
"Texas family." Some years, my parents-in-law or my mom will come down to
visit us over Thanksgiving, so we have a slightly bigger crowd then, but
this year it'll be just the four of us.

Our menu will include:

- Shrimp cocktail appetizer
- Mixed green salad
- Relish tray (assorted olives, pickled veggies, roasted peppers) -- Note: I
may just put out the relish tray before the meal (as another appetizer),
since it hardly gets touched when it's on the table in the midst of all the
other food
- Brined roasted turkey (first time brining a turkey; thought about using
that fabulous-sounding Fat Man's brine that you posted about earlier, but
I'll probably do this one with a simple water/salt brine)
- Cornbread stuffing
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Giblet gravy
- Cranberry sauce
- Broccoli cheese rice casserole (my mom's recipe--I've made it every
Thanksgiving for YEARS; always a hit)
- Green beans, baby carrots, and pearl onions in a lemon-butter sauce
- Twice-baked pecan-crusted sweet potatoes
- Rolls (our friends will bring)
- Dessert (our friends will bring)
- Wine, water, and coffee

I can't wait...I love Thanksgiving!!

Mary
--
http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

Linda

Nov 4, 2001, 10:59:24 AM11/4/01

MareCat wrote:

> - Broccoli cheese rice casserole (my mom's recipe--I've made it every

Can you share this receipe? The one I've made in the past was put in the
"I'll eat it if you make it, but don't make it " category by DH....

Linda M.

MareCat

Nov 4, 2001, 11:31:15 AM11/4/01

http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

"Linda" <lbma...@home.com> wrote in message

MareCat

Nov 4, 2001, 11:42:00 AM11/4/01
> "Linda" <lbma...@home.com> wrote in message
> >

> > MareCat wrote:
> > >
> > > - Broccoli cheese rice casserole (my mom's recipe--I've made it every
> >
> > Can you share this receipe? The one I've made in the past was put in
the
> > "I'll eat it if you make it, but don't make it " category by DH....
> >
> > Linda M.

(Sorry 'bout that. Hit the Send button too soon. <G>)

Sure, I'll share it. It's embarrassingly simple to make.

Mix three cups of cooked rice (still hot) with a jar of Cheez Whiz. Add
10-oz. of thawed chopped broccoli, a small jar of mushrooms that you've
sauteed, a small can of sliced water chestnuts, a 4-oz. can of chopped green
chilis, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a tablespoon of minced onion, and
salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon it all into a casserole dish and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for an hour (cover with foil for the first half hour).

Don't let the fact that because it's made with cream of chicken soup and
Cheez Whiz scare you. The result is really delicious. One of those dishes
that everyone likes and looks forward to every year.

Mary

Becca

Nov 4, 2001, 11:42:27 AM11/4/01
I'm confused. I leave the country this Thursday, and I return on the
Monday night before Thanksgiving. Can I still prepare a delicious
Thanksgiving dinner with such little time to shop and cook (I work,
too). I'll try.

Becca

Becca

Nov 4, 2001, 11:46:49 AM11/4/01
> Roasted Turkey (Fat Man's Brine)

How long will you soak your bird?

Becca

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 12:18:00 PM11/4/01
pu...@aol.com (Pup K9) wrote:

>I would appreciate to see your reciep for
>the brine that you'll be using?

I really can't answer your brining questions, because I'm a rank amateur,
myself. This brine was originally developed for turkey. We've used it to
brine, then smoke, salmon. We've also brined a pork roast, which we then
roasted in the oven overnight at 250F. FABULOUS! I can't wait to try this
with turkey!

* Exported from MasterCook *

The Fat Man's Chicken Kickin' Brine(TM)

Recipe By :The Fat Man®
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : brines/rubs/marinades

2 quarts water
1/3 cup pickling salt (I use Kosher)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground sage
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (I omit this)
3/4 teaspoon Dave's Insanity Sauce -- optional
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

Some folks want to heat the brine to dissolve the salt and sugar faster. I
use a wand or stick blender and mix it cold. In either case, make sure the
brine is COLD before dunking the birds. Keep it well under 40º for the
duration of the soaking.

33º works just fine for me if the birds are completely thawed.

This brine was originally developed for turkeys. It's outstanding in that
application by itself.
I like to inject them with a 50/50 mix of honey + butter just before
putting them in the smoke.
The injection makes for a "no-leftovers" bird.

The brine is equally suited for use on chickens with only one modification;
lessen the sage content.

I soak turkeys a minimum of three days prior to smoking and chickens a
minimum of 2 with a maximum of three days.

Source:
"alt.food.barbecue"
Yield:
"1/2 gallon"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is something I came up with after a little fiddling around
with standard brines. Everyone seems to love it, but feel free to modify it
to suit your own particular tastes.

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 12:42:58 PM11/4/01
Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>> Roasted Turkey (Fat Man's Brine)
>
>How long will you soak your bird?

Probably for three days. We'll use a cooler filled with ice to keep the
bird nice and cold. That way, we'll have room in the refrigerator for all
the other goodies we're making ahead of time.

If you can get a fresh turkey, you should have time to get things ready in
time for the big day, after you return from your trip. (Where are you
going, as if it's any of my damned business?)

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 12:51:42 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Soup
>*Cheddar Cheese Soup (Carnation)

I haven't tried this yet, but it looks good. I'll make it with the beer.
I was originally planning on making a curry pumpkin soup, but my daughter
has a severe allergy to cinnamon, which is included in the curry powder.
I'll post that recipe below.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheddar Cheese Soup

Recipe By :Carnation
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cheese fall/winter
soups/chowders

1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
24 ounces evaporated milk -- 2 cans
1 cup beer -- or water
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard -- optional
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese -- 8 ounces
Toppings:
cooked bacon -- crumbled
sliced green onions
croutons, seasoned

HEAT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring
constantly or until bubbly. Add evaporated milk; bring to a boil over high
heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; stir in beer, Worcestershire sauce,
salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.

LADLE into bowls. Serve with toppings.

Source:
"www.verybestbaking.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream Of Pumpkin Curry Soup

Recipe By :Libby's
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : fall/winter soups/chowders
vegetables

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion -- finely chopped
1 garlic clove -- finely minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander -- up to 1/4 teaspoon
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups chicken broth
15 ounces canned pumpkin
1 cup half and half
sour cream -- optional
chopped fresh chives -- optional

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic;
cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder, salt,
coriander and crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a
boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes
to develop flavors. Stir in pumpkin and half-and-half; cook for 5 minutes
or until heated through.

Transfer mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary);
cover. Blend until creamy. Serve warm or reheat to desired temperature.
Garnish with dollop of sour cream and and a sprinkling of chives.

Preparation Tip: Soup may be prepared the day ahead. Cool to room
temperature after adding pumpkin and half-and-half. Cover and refrigerate.
Just before serving, blend then reheat to serving temperature, but do not
boil.

Source:
"adapted by Damsel in dis Dress"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 12:54:49 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Salad
>*Watergate Salad (Kraft Foods)

I'm not much of a Cool Whip fan, so I may just use good, old fashioned
whipped cream in its place.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Watergate Salad

Recipe By :Kraft Foods
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : salads/dressings

1 package instant pistachio pudding mix -- 4 serving size
20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup chopped pecans
1 3/4 cups Cool Whip -- thawed

Stir pudding mix, pineapple with juice, marshmallows and nuts in large bowl
until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://www.kraftfoods.com/"
Start to Finish Time:
"1:15"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 12:57:20 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Cranberry-Orange Relish

I hate plain cranberry sauce, but I love this stuff!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry-Orange Relish

Recipe By :Joy of Cooking
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : fruits Thanksgiving

1 pound cranberries -- washed and picked over
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest -- grated

Combine all ingredients in a large skillet: Cook, uncovered, over medium
heat until most of the cranberries pop open and the mixture is thickened, 7
to 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"rec.food.cooking"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 1:01:49 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon (Epicurious)

I first made these for a Thanksgiving dinner a couple of years ago.
Cleaning and snapping the beans together gave us a nice time of
togetherness. It was really enjoyable. Another asset is that this dish
can be prepared a day ahead of time, so you don't have so much work to do
on Thanksgiving day.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : nuts side dishes
vegetables

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to 8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while still hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made 1 day
ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 1:07:11 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese (Epicurious)

These are, far and away, the best mashed potatoes in the universe. My
version is scaled down and more health-conscious than the original. I also
substituted thyme for the original rosemary, which I detest. The original
recipe can be found at:
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=15638

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45

Categories : potatoes side dishes

1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic -- peeled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces prosciutto -- thinly sliced, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup skim milk -- or more if needed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

1. Cook potatoes and garlic in large pot of boiling water until potatoes
are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return potatoes and garlic to
same pot.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add
chopped prosciutto and thyme and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add prosciutto mixture and 3/4 cup milk to potatoes and garlic. Mash
well, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if potatoes are dry. Mix in 1/2
cup cheese. Season with pepper. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and
chill. Stir over low heat to rewarm, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls, if
desired.) Transfer potatoes to bowl. Sprinkle lightly with 2 tablespoons
cheese; serve.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"Adapted from Bon Appétit"
Yield:
"4 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 1:10:47 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Basic Bread Stuffing - Thyme (James Beard, via Epicurious)

I used to make my stuffing by the dump and estimate method. Then I tried
James Beard's recipe. Holy cow! Good stuff, Maynard! I always make the
tarragon version. Excellent! This time, I'll use thyme, instead. This is
to make the stuffing more compatable with the mashed potatoes, which will
also include thyme.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Basic Bread Stuffing

Recipe By :James Beard

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : side dishes Thanksgiving

2 sticks butter
1 cup finely chopped shallots, onions, or spring
onions
8 cups fresh bread crumbs -- with crusts
1 teaspoon dried tarragon -- moistened with ....
1 tablespoon white wine -- for one hour
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon salt -- or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Place the butter, shallots or onions in a saucepan, and allow the butter to
melt over low heat. Do not sauté the shallots. Combine with the crumbs and
other ingredients and toss lightly. Add more melted butter if needed, and
taste for seasoning. Stuff the bird lightly just before roasting.

Herb Variations:

Instead of tarragon you can use any of the following herbs to taste. (It is
better not to mix herbs, except for the addition of parsley, but mix if you
must.)
1. About 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, soaked in a little white wine for an
hour.
2. Sage. Use with discretion, or it smothers all other flavors.
3. Summer savory. This has a delicious flavor for turkey and is less known
than most herbs.
4. Basil. The fresh is delicious and superb in the stuffing of a spitted
bird. If fresh is not available, use about 2 teaspoons of dried basil,
soaked in white wine beforehand.

Another way to give the flavor of fresh basil to your dressing is by adding
pesto, the Italian sauce normally used with pasta. Fortunately, it freezes
rather well, so pesto can be made when fresh basil is in the market or in
your herb garden and it is possible to have it with your Thanksgiving or
Christmas bird. Add about 3 tablespoons of pesto or more to the basic bread
stuffing.

Additives for Basic Bread Stuffing:

You will have to reduce the amount of crumbs, depending upon the quantity
of additive.
1. 1 1/2 to 2 cups coarsely broken cooked chestnuts (These may be purchased
in tins).
2. 1 cup or more toasted salted filberts.
3. 1 cup or more toasted unbalanced almonds.
4. 1 cup or more salted pecan halves.
5. 1 1/2 to 2 cups toasted walnut halves.
6. 2 cups finely diced celery. This makes a delicious change in the basic
stuffing and is also good in goose.
7. 1 1/2 cups of finely diced fennel bulb. Omit any other herb save
parsley.
8. A head of finely shredded Boston lettuce. Added to the basic stuffing at
the last minute, this is surprisingly good. You may find you need
additional salt.
9. Giblets. Chop the gizzard and heart very fine; reserve the liver. Sauté
the gizzard and heart with the onions just enough to color them, then mix
with the rest of the ingredients. Use the liver in the sauce later. Sauté
it lightly in butter and chop exceedingly fine before adding.

Makes enough for a 10-pound bird

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The rule for figuring out the proper amount of stuffing is easy to
remember -- approximately 1 cup per pound of bird. This works very well
unless you want stuffing for only one meal, in which case this quantity is
excessive. So, starting from the maximum, reduce the among of stuffing to
suit your needs.

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 1:13:46 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Cheesecake Pecan Pie (W.H. Stoneman, rfc)

Haven't made this yet. We're going to do a test run sometime this week.
It looks heavenly. Thanks for the recipe, Billy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesecake Pecan Pie

Recipe By :W. H. Stoneman
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cheesecakes pies

1 9" pastry shell, unbaked
---Cream Cheese Layer---
8 ounces cream cheese
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
---Pecan Layer---
1 1/4 cups pecans -- coarsely chopped
3 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a food processor, process the cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar and 1
teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the
unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle the pecans over the cheese mixture.

For the filling, beat the 3 eggs with an electric mixer until foamy. Add
the corn syrup, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the salt and combine.
Pour over the pecans. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Source:
"rec.food.cooking"
Yield:
"1 9-inch pie"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 4, 2001, 1:13:12 PM11/4/01
In article <dht9uts4kl9in9cct...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> writes:

>Side Dishes
>*Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon (Epicurious)
>*Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese (Epicurious)
>Basic Bread Stuffing - Thyme (James Beard, via Epicurious)
>Gravy
>

>Damsel

I could make a meal of those Mashed Potatoes. Like you, I substitute thyme.
They are sooooooooo good. Don't forget to put them in the Cookbook.
Vickie

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 1:22:17 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>3. 1 cup or more toasted unbalanced almonds

ROFLMAO!! I just spotted this! It's on the original recipe that way:
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=20141

If you can find some insane almonds, go for it. I think I'd stick with the
unblanched ones.

Damsel, still laughing

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 1:25:09 PM11/4/01
ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> writes:

>>*Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese (Epicurious)
>

>I could make a meal of those Mashed Potatoes. Like you, I substitute
>thyme.
>They are sooooooooo good. Don't forget to put them in the Cookbook.

They will definitely be in the cookbook. I make large batches and freeze
them in 1/2 cup portions. Perfect for rounding out a quick meal.

PENMART01

Nov 4, 2001, 1:37:42 PM11/4/01

Buy the fixins before you leave. If you place your frozen turkey in the frige
as soon as you arrive home on the 19th it should be thawed by the morning of
the 22th... if not quite begin the water thawing routine. I suggest you get a
small gobbler, one with a big wattle. <hehe>

Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Nov 4, 2001, 1:59:21 PM11/4/01
> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Cranberry-Orange Relish
>
> I hate plain cranberry sauce, but I love this stuff!

I made this last year, the first time I made homemade cranbury
sauce. I always just bought it because I grew up with
canned and I never liked it. This recipe changed my mind.

nancy

Sheryl Rosen

Nov 4, 2001, 1:54:30 PM11/4/01
wrote:

Sure...Shop now for later! (And beat the rush)

Buy your frozen turkey now, for one thing. Take it out the minute you
walk in the door from your trip, should be thawed out by Thursday AM.

You could buy your sweet potatoes now, too. They last awhile in a cool
place. Same with your white potatoes.

Pick up a loaf of bread for your stuffing and stick it in the freezer.
Take it out of the freezer when you remove the turkey, so it gets good
and stale. (Or buy your bag of Pepperidge Farm crumbs now).

If you use frozen veggies, they would be ok to get now. (I start with
whole frozen green beans, thaw, saute in butter and walnut oil, add
herbs and nuts...easy, easy, easy!)

Same with cranberries. If you use the canned, no problem. If you make
fresh, why not cook the cranberry sauce now, freeze it for later? It
freezes beautifully. Might even taste better, since the flavors will
have time to marry and magnify.

Onions last awhile. (I use a lot of onions in my stuffing, don't know
about you). Make sure you have flour and all the seasonings you need
for the stuffing, pies, turkey, etc. Get that stuff now, too.

Pick up a package or two of Pillsbury Pie Crust. (Check the expiration
date, though, just to be safe, you should have a December date on any
you get this week.) They are very, very good--exceptionally flaky and
delicious. Not that pie crust is that hard, but when something this
delicious comes from a package and is so easy, and you're pressed for
time, why not???? With canned pumpkin, a can of evaported milk (or
condensed sweetened, which ever recipe you follow), all you'll need to
pick up for the pumpkin pie is eggs. Also--don't overlook a Mrs.
Smith's or Sara Lee frozen (ready to bake) pie. I especially like their
pumpkin, mince and apple-cranberry. They taste pretty close to homemade,
and you can put them in the oven when the turkey and fixin's come out,
so can enjoy that heavenly aroma of baking pie--and the pie will be warm
when you eat it, to boot!

As for the rolls....there are some nice dinner rolls that you can buy
frozen, and after they thaw and rise, you can doctor them up a bit with
a milk-egg wash and some poppy seeds, herbs, whatever. Or if you're
feeling really ambitious, mix up some yeast dough before your trip, let
it rise once, shape into rolls, put into a round cake pan, wrap with
plastic wrap, right next to the dough, then foil, then a freezer bag,
and make your own frozen rolls. Let thaw, rise, and away you go.

I think, since you have to travel before the holiday, and you will be
pressed for time, you can take advantage of some convenience products
that are available, and add some personal touches, and most people won't
even know or mind.

Dont' forget the idea of Thanksgiving, either. It's about being with the
people you love and enjoying a nice meal. Not about driving yourself
crazy, running around like a maniac trying to make everythign from
scratch, so that by the time the holiday gets here, you are so frazzled
and/or exhausted you can't even enjoy it.

Another thought is to make the turkey and one or two sides, and have
each of your invited guests provide another dish or dessert. DELEGATE!

Good luck!

--
Sheryl

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 4, 2001, 2:27:45 PM11/4/01
In article <sdeF7.58044$U7.45...@bin1.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, "MareCat"
<mgo...@intertex.net> writes:

>Sure, I'll share it. It's embarrassingly simple to make.
>
>Mix three cups of cooked rice (still hot) with a jar of Cheez Whiz. Add
>10-oz. of thawed chopped broccoli, a small jar of mushrooms that you've
>sauteed, a small can of sliced water chestnuts, a 4-oz. can of chopped green
>chilis, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a tablespoon of minced onion, and
>salt and pepper to taste.
>
>Spoon it all into a casserole dish and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
>Bake at 350 for an hour (cover with foil for the first half hour).
>
>Don't let the fact that because it's made with cream of chicken soup and
>Cheez Whiz scare you. The result is really delicious. One of those dishes
>that everyone likes and looks forward to every year.
>
>Mary

Sounds a lot like one I make except I use part Jalapeno or Mexican Cheez Whiz.
This is the only recipe I use Cheez Whiz in.
Vickie

rosie@readandpost

Nov 4, 2001, 2:42:54 PM11/4/01
i used this recipe last year, but substituted SPLENDA for the
sugar...................it was delicious!

--
read and post daily!
rosie

"Your presence is a gift to the world,
You're unique and one of a kind.
Your life can be what you want it to be -
Take it one day at a time."
-----------------------unknown

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 4, 2001, 4:59:18 PM11/4/01
In article <catmandy-831067...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sheryl
Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> writes:

>Onions last awhile. (I use a lot of onions in my stuffing, don't know
>about you). Make sure you have flour and all the seasonings you need
>for the stuffing, pies, turkey, etc. Get that stuff now, too.

I saute my onions and celery for my stuffing. I usually do a lot at once and
then freeze them in smaller quantities in baggies. Then I have it ready if I
want stuffing at the spur of the moment.
Vickie

PENMART01

Nov 4, 2001, 5:13:44 PM11/4/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> writes:

>I used to make my stuffing by the dump and estimate method.

Next time write it thusly:
I used to make my stuffing by the dump-and-estimate method.

Michel Boucher

Nov 4, 2001, 5:16:33 PM11/4/01
ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) a écrit dans

> In article
> <catmandy-831067...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sheryl
> Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> writes:
>
>>Onions last awhile.

Ours was simple (still took me a good chunk of the day). Organic 19
elbee turkey covered with olive oil soaked cheesecloth (obviates the
need for basting), after having been rubbed with dried sage from our
garden. No stuffing, I never make stuffing. A dish of leeks and
sweet potatoes drizzled with oil and a smidge of ghee baked in the
toaster oven for an hour before. Two bags of "fresh" cranberries,
burst in a 1/4 water with 1/2 cup sugar, two tablespoons lemon juice
and a generous portion of chopped ginger (let sit for around an hour
before serving). Mashed potatoes with sweet butter, salt and pepper.

--

ObFood: Use the forks, Luke! Use the forks!

To send private mail, get the zed out.

Becca

Nov 4, 2001, 4:55:06 PM11/4/01
> after you return from your trip. (Where are you
> going, as if it's any of my damned business?)

I'm visiting the rain forest in Costa Rica.

I have someone who will buy the ingredients while I'm gone. I just need
to organize myself(?) and make the shopping lists.

My thanks to Sheryl for her excellent suggestions.

Becca

Becca

Nov 4, 2001, 4:58:43 PM11/4/01
Sheryl, thanks for your suggestions.

I would enjoy spending Thanksgiving with my family, but they are all
going to the ranch, which is a long drive for me. I have to work on
Friday and Saturday, so I will stay home and cook, using some of your
excellent suggestions. Thanks.

Becca

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 5:32:29 PM11/4/01
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> writes:
>
>>I used to make my stuffing by the dump and estimate method.
>
>Next time write it thusly:
>I used to make my stuffing by the dump-and-estimate method.
>
><hehe>

<Damsel thwacks Sheldon with a limp stalk of celery>

Ginny Sher

Nov 4, 2001, 5:41:33 PM11/4/01

Damsel,

Do you know why this is this called Watergate Salad? Is there some
pun about the scandal I'm missing?

Ginny

MareCat

Nov 4, 2001, 6:24:31 PM11/4/01
"Ladyvmh2000" <ladyv...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > This is the only recipe I use Cheez Whiz in.

Me too. The Cheez Whiz actually adds a lot to the final product.

Mary

Hag & Stenni

Nov 4, 2001, 6:51:23 PM11/4/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 17:57:20 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

Now It looks like Im only gonna have access to dried cranberrys
(affordabley anyhow) so I wonder how they would work in this? Any
thoughts??? Hag k

My golden rules

1. If it dosnt taste good or get you laid dont do it (apply your own criteria)
2. If it smells bad dont eat it.
3. When life hands you shit Grow roses!

Can the Spam to reply

Hag & Stenni

Nov 4, 2001, 6:54:47 PM11/4/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 18:13:46 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Cheesecake Pecan Pie (W.H. Stoneman, rfc)
>
>Haven't made this yet. We're going to do a test run sometime this week.
>It looks heavenly. Thanks for the recipe, Billy!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cheesecake Pecan Pie
>
>Recipe By :W. H. Stoneman
>Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : cheesecakes pies

snip -

please do post a followup in this dams, sounds wonderful! Hag k

Linda

Nov 4, 2001, 8:22:50 PM11/4/01

Thanks for the receipe....I'm going to make it Tuesday night, so I'll
let you know!

L.

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 4, 2001, 8:37:24 PM11/4/01
ginn...@mediaone.net (Ginny Sher) wrote:

>> Watergate Salad
>>
>>Recipe By :Kraft Foods
>

>Do you know why this is this called Watergate Salad? Is there some
>pun about the scandal I'm missing?

I'm not really sure. I think that there is/was a restaurant at the
Watergate complex that served some kind of pistachio dessert. There are
recipes floating around for a Watergate cake, too. Also based on instant
pistachio pudding mix. Maybe someone will come along who knows the source
of the name.

Damsel

Kat Frass

Nov 4, 2001, 8:40:41 PM11/4/01
> - Twice-baked pecan-crusted sweet potatoes

Could I get the recipe for this? I love sweet potatoes and this sounds
delicious!

--
Kat Frass
www.Frass.com

Siobhan Perricone

Nov 4, 2001, 9:13:20 PM11/4/01
On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 01:37:24 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>ginn...@mediaone.net (Ginny Sher) wrote:
>
>>> Watergate Salad
>>>
>>>Recipe By :Kraft Foods
>>
>>Do you know why this is this called Watergate Salad? Is there some
>>pun about the scandal I'm missing?
>
>I'm not really sure. I think that there is/was a restaurant at the
>Watergate complex that served some kind of pistachio dessert. There are
>recipes floating around for a Watergate cake, too. Also based on instant
>pistachio pudding mix. Maybe someone will come along who knows the source
>of the name.

The Watergate was (is?) a hotel, it had a restaurant, I'm pretty sure this
was just something they served (or similar to it), but I could be
misremembering.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Among Minbari, one individual leads, but we move as one. We are at our

-Delenn "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"

MareCat

Nov 4, 2001, 11:59:12 PM11/4/01
"Kat Frass" <NO_SP...@frass.com> wrote in message

> > - Twice-baked pecan-crusted sweet potatoes
>
> Could I get the recipe for this? I love sweet potatoes and this sounds
> delicious!

Sure. This was posted by BigDodge68, on alt.cooking-chat:

Twice-Baked Pecan-Crusted Sweet Potatoes

6 - 8 good sized sweet potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 - 2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup crushed pecans

Bake the sweet potatoes in a 350 F oven for approximately an hour (til
soft). Remove from oven and place on a sheet pan with sides (because they
will leak). When they are cool enough to handle, cut a thin 1-1/2 to 2 inch
slice off of the top of each sweet potato and scoop out the soft insides to
a bowl. Add butter and vanilla. Mix well, then add about 1 cup of the brown
sugar. (Adjust the filling to your desired sweetness. Add more brown sugar
if you want it sweeter.) Add 3/4 cup of the pecans, mix well, and spoon back
into the potato shells. Mix remaining pecans with an equal part of brown
sugar and pack on top of the filled potatoes, return to the 350 F oven, and
bake for 15- 20 min. or until brown sugar on top is bubbly.

Mary
--
http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

MH

Nov 5, 2001, 2:03:58 AM11/5/01
(snipped lots of cool Thanksgiving stuff)

I LOVE Thanksgiving!!!! When I move to Denmark, I will keep up the
tradition. Until then, Michael (Archon) will be spending his very first
American Thanksgiving day here in the USofA. It will be a small Thanksgiving
(just the two of us), but it will be lots of fun.

I plan to serve the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes and milk gravy,
savory corn bread stuffing, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie along with green
beans cooked with mushrooms, cesar salad. Michael is in charge of picking
out wine. It will be lots of fun. It is one of my favorite holidays; no
dogma attached. : )

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 5, 2001, 3:34:21 AM11/5/01
ste...@vision1mm.com (Hag & Stenni) wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Cranberry-Orange Relish
>>
>>Recipe By :Joy of Cooking
>>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : fruits Thanksgiving
>>

>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 pound cranberries -- washed and picked over
>> 2 cups sugar
>> 1/2 cup water
>> 1/2 cup orange juice
>> 2 teaspoons orange zest -- grated
>>
>>Combine all ingredients in a large skillet: Cook, uncovered, over medium
>>heat until most of the cranberries pop open and the mixture is thickened,
>>7 to 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.
>

>Now It looks like Im only gonna have access to dried cranberrys
>(affordabley anyhow) so I wonder how they would work in this? Any
>thoughts??? Hag k

I'm guessing that, since you're cooking the cranberries until they pop and
turn to a sauce, that re-hydrating craisins and then cooking with the other
ingredients should work fairly well.

I shopped for most of my Thanksgiving stuff tonight. This recipe calls for
a pound of cranberries. Guess what size bags the cranberries come in this
year? 12 ounces. I chose not to buy two bags.

Damsel

Hag & Stenni

Nov 5, 2001, 4:39:23 AM11/5/01
On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:34:21 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

Ohh yeah! you gotta love the creative and ooohhh ssoooo obvious ways
they are trying to get us to buy more! hamburger sold in 1 1/4 lb pks
now when most rec call for 1 lb...cranberrys sold in 12 oz when ALL
my rec call for 8 or 16 oz of them...()*^$*(&*)(^)*( dastardly
deeds!...Hag k

Kat Frass

Nov 5, 2001, 10:19:20 AM11/5/01
--- awesome sweet potato recipe snipped---

YUMMY!!!! These sound DELICIOUS!!! I can't wait to make them. :-) Thank
you so much. (can you tell I love sweet potatoes).

Liz C

Nov 5, 2001, 12:49:05 PM11/5/01
In article <dht9uts4kl9in9cct...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> says:
>Oh, and I'd love to see what other people will be
>serving this year!
>
>Soup

No soup, I've never been much for soup before dinner

>Salad
Ceasar salad with homemade garlic croutons - been saving stale bread
for this and the stuffing for a couple days now :) Anchovies on the
side (I dont' tell the family about the paste that went into the
dressing <g>)

>Relishes
Olives, pickles, cranberry

>Side Dishes
Green beans with caramelized onions, bacon and malt vinegar
Sweet potatoes with orange pecan topping
Garlic mashed potatoes with bleu cheese
Sage stuffing
gravy

>Bread
my mothers walnut herd bread (I think it comes from the NY Times
cookbook or James Beard) if I get to it, baguettes from Whole Foods
if I don't

>Meat
Turkey - I don't do much to it except dust with Penzey's Bicentennial
and pin sausages to it - the dogs get the little burnt sausages
afterwards.

>Dessert
It's pie day for the boys - they each get to pick one, so we're
having chocolate, pumpkin, mincemeat and caramel apple.

Liz & the rottie riot squad
Cecil, Lo-Tec and the grrrrls,
Janni, Chrome & The Dixie Flatline
take out the dog to mail

Ranee Mueller

Nov 5, 2001, 1:06:30 PM11/5/01
In article <20011104061733...@mb-mv.aol.com>, pu...@aol.com
(Pup K9) wrote:

> I just have a couple of questions. Do you need to put the turkey in a
> Non-Alluminum pan when doing the brine? I don't think I have a pan
> large enough to hold a large trukey. Any suggestions? If possible, I
> would like to try to put my turkey in a brine. I have a fresh 24 #
> turkey ordered for Thnaksgiving, is that to large for a brine? If
> not, I would appreciate to see your reciep for the brine that you'll
> be using?

You can actually use a styrofoam cooler to do it, just buy one that's
large enough and float lots of those ice-y packs in there overnight.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Destashing now, see url below & e-mail for details.
See my family and some of my finished objects (E-mail me for password to

Ranee Mueller

Nov 5, 2001, 1:07:10 PM11/5/01
In article <3BE56FF3...@hal-pc.org>, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org>
wrote:

> I'm confused. I leave the country this Thursday, and I return on the
> Monday night before Thanksgiving. Can I still prepare a delicious
> Thanksgiving dinner with such little time to shop and cook (I work,
> too). I'll try.

Sure, it will be hectic, because you'll likely have to do much of
your shopping that week, but it can be done.

Ranee Mueller

Nov 5, 2001, 1:15:15 PM11/5/01
In article <r1dF7.53116$tb2.4...@bin2.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>,
"MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net> wrote:

> Neither my husband nor I have any family in Texas, so every year we
> host Thanksgiving at our house and have two of our dearest friends
> over (used to live in Houston, but now live an hour and a half away).
> They're my hubby's sister's father-in-law and step-mother-in-law, so
> we consider them to be our "Texas family." Some years, my
> parents-in-law or my mom will come down to visit us over
> Thanksgiving, so we have a slightly bigger crowd then, but this year
> it'll be just the four of us.

We host because we like my cooking better on some dishes, and it's
easier and involves less politicking than alternating between our
parents and less aggravation than having to go to either of their homes
with our two little boys.

We make:

Roasted Turkey & Bourbon Gravy
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Bread Stuffing w/ Ground Beef
Wild Rice Dressing
Peas & Onions w/Water Chestnuts and Cream Sauce
Cranberry Relish
Braided Egg Bread
Usually some kind of salad brought by my ILs
Riesling
Sparkling Cider
Pumpkin Pie
Cranberry Cherry Pie
Gingerbread

Sometimes another vegetable dish, and maybe another dessert from my
mom. We might be making a butternut squash soup this year.

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 5, 2001, 1:43:03 PM11/5/01
In article <dp7dutoau5nou4nn7...@4ax.com>, Email to above or see
post sig for address! <KXDPHY...@spammotel.com> writes:

>On 04 Nov 2001 21:59:18 GMT, ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) wrote:
>
>>I saute my onions and celery for my stuffing. I usually do a lot at once
>and
>>then freeze them in smaller quantities in baggies. Then I have it ready if
>>want stuffing at the spur of the moment.
>

>Really, hmmm. Never figured that it would freeze and survive, and taste good.
>
>How do you reheat it?
>
>I would love to have this around during the rest of the year v. the packaged
>items, although some are not that bad, but fresh is definitely MUCH better.

Since they are already cooked and the stuffing will also be cooked they do
fine. I defrost them in the microwave or in a pan. They also have the butter I
sauteed them in so You don't need to use any more butter. Sure does make
things go faster.
Vickie

Finocchio568

Nov 5, 2001, 2:08:32 PM11/5/01
My Thanksgiving Dinner menu looks like this:

Roasted Turkey
Bread Stuffing with Celery (not a fan of cornbread)
Gravy

Mashed Potatoes
Creamed Brussels Sprouts
Green Beans
Candied Sweet Potatoes

Cloverleaf Rolls

Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Relish with Ginger

Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie

Yeah a very traditional menu.

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 5, 2001, 2:15:29 PM11/5/01
Ranee Mueller <ran...@harbornet.com> wrote:

> We make:
>
> Roasted Turkey & Bourbon Gravy
> Garlic Mashed Potatoes
> Bread Stuffing w/ Ground Beef
> Wild Rice Dressing

Would you be willing to post your wild rice dressing recipe, or is it
something you prepare by eye?

Ranee Mueller

Nov 5, 2001, 2:26:45 PM11/5/01
In article <88pduto8dm37nnqcq...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis
Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> Would you be willing to post your wild rice dressing recipe, or is it
> something you prepare by eye?

Both. :) I usually stuff both turkey cavities, one with the bread
and the other with the rice, then bake the rest. On recommendation from
this group, I will do the rest of the bread stuffing in the crock pot
with some turkey stock over it. My BIL used the leftover rice stuffing
with some hot hot chile sauce, veggies and leftover meat in a kind of
stirfry thing the next day.

I think I've posted this before, but here it is again:

My husband has never liked bread stuffing, although he did his best
to eat my mother's before we were married. I created this so he would
have a tasty stuffing that he would enjoy. This recipe goes especially
well with duck or goose, and is wonderful in a Thansgiving turkey.

WILD RICE STUFFING

6 Tbsp butter
18 oz pearl onions, blanched in boiling water 1 minute, peeled (I've
also used about a lb of regular onions, chopped up)
6 cloves garlic, slivered
1 1/2 C pine nuts

4 1/2 C chicken stock
3 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 3 tsp dried
1 1/2 C wild rice
1 1/2 C basmati rice (or another long grain rice)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute
until they start to turn transparent, add garlic and saute some more.
When garlic starts to turn an opaque yellow, add pine nuts and toast
until they start to brown, about 15 minutes total. Turn off heat and
stir until pine nuts are toasted. Set aside.
Bring stock and 1 Tbsp thyme (if fresh, all if dried) to boil in
large saucepan. Add wild rice; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and
simmer 30 minutes. Add basmati rice and salt; cover and simmer until
all rice is tender and liquid is completely absorbed, about 15 minutes
longer.
Stir onion-pine nut mixture, remaining fresh thyme and pepper into
rice mixture.
To bake stuffing in bird: Loosely fill main cavity with stuffing.
Butter glass baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into prepared dish.
Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake stuffing in dish
alongside bird until heated through, about 20 minutes.

Dawn

Nov 5, 2001, 4:02:59 PM11/5/01
Pup K9 wrote:

> I just have a couple of questions. Do you need to put the turkey in a
> Non-Alluminum pan when doing the brine? I don't think I have a pan large enough
> to hold a large trukey. Any suggestions? If possible, I would like to try to
> put my turkey in a brine. I have a fresh 24 # turkey ordered for Thnaksgiving,
> is that to large for a brine? If not, I would appreciate to see your reciep for
> the brine that you'll be using?

Joan,

We use a pickle bucket. We got a large food-grade container that holds
4-5 gallons of liquid and it's just right for the size turkey we get for
the family dinner. Getting it in the fridge is tricky, esp with all the
prepped food, but if it's cold enough that night I just put the lid on
and set it on the back deck. :)

Dawn

--
Batgirl was a Librarian, too!
http://www.RedDawn.net/

MareCat

Nov 5, 2001, 4:34:18 PM11/5/01
"Ranee Mueller" <ran...@harbornet.com> wrote in message

> In article <20011104061733...@mb-mv.aol.com>, pu...@aol.com
> (Pup K9) wrote:
>
> > I just have a couple of questions. Do you need to put the turkey in a
> > Non-Alluminum pan when doing the brine? I don't think I have a pan
> > large enough to hold a large trukey. Any suggestions? If possible, I
> > would like to try to put my turkey in a brine. I have a fresh 24 #
> > turkey ordered for Thnaksgiving, is that to large for a brine? If
> > not, I would appreciate to see your reciep for the brine that you'll
> > be using?
>
> You can actually use a styrofoam cooler to do it, just buy one that's
> large enough and float lots of those ice-y packs in there overnight.

Would you just put the turkey and the brine right in the cooler (without
putting the turkey in some sort of pot first)? I've been looking for an
alternative to putting the turkey in the fridge to brine (not enough room
for the big pot), and this might be a solution. I've also toyed with the
idea of putting the turkey in a big pot, placing the pot in the bathtub, and
surrounding the pot with tons of ice, but I'm not sure that would be the way
to go.

Mary

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 5, 2001, 5:01:17 PM11/5/01
"MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net> wrote:

>I've also toyed with the idea of putting the turkey in a big pot, placing
>the pot in the bathtub, and surrounding the pot with tons of ice, but I'm
>not sure that would be the way to go.

We'll be brining our turkey in a large kettle, which will be placed in a
large insulated cooler.

Unless .... are garbage bags sanitary enough to use for brining a turkey,
instead of the large kettle, or would that be a big no-no?

Damsel, perennial troublemaker

Default User

Nov 5, 2001, 5:44:41 PM11/5/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> We'll be brining our turkey in a large kettle, which will be placed in a
> large insulated cooler.
>
> Unless .... are garbage bags sanitary enough to use for brining a turkey,
> instead of the large kettle, or would that be a big no-no?

This was discussed on alt.food.barbecue, and there were some serious
doubts raised as to safety, things like lubricants on the extruding
mechanisms (down Sheldon!) and such.

Alternatives suggested were large food-safe plastic buckets, and
butcher's plastic bags.

Brian Rodenborn

Hag & Stenni

Nov 5, 2001, 6:30:08 PM11/5/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 08:14:23 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>I think I've got Thanksgiving dinner all set to go. Now, I just have to
>buy the stuff, store it, find out whether we'll be three or four for
>dinner, and off we go!
>
>I discovered, when making my list of preferred dishes, that most of my
>favorites (or new things I want to try) were gathered from various sources
>on the internet and on this newsgroup. So, I marked my sources when
>compiling the list.
>
>Here's the list. (asterisks mark the dishes that can be prepared ahead by
>a day or more) There'll probably be a second pie, but we haven't decided
>which kind just yet. Oh, and I'd love to see what other people will be
>serving this year!

Snip -

Well I think were eating mostly traditional this year, got a whole
horde of single folks from work comming to join us, So its just gonna
be me doing all the cooking, The sten1 will help w/ prep and keep the
kids out from underfoot of course...

Roast brined turkye (I may just try the fat Mans brine, gonna test it

on a chicken or two this weekend)
Ham glazed w/ orange and brown sugar and mustard sauce
bread stuffing, onion, celery and thyme
real mashed potatoes, heavy on the cream and butter
gravey
jalapeno mac & Cheese
vegies - Old fashioned green beans, glazed baby carrots, butter
creamed peas w/ mushrooms, Corn w/ bell peppers, steamed
Brusslesprouts w/ chicken and butter demiglase
Green salad
fresh bread
The standard relish/appt trays and dips
Gonna try The cranberry orange relish that You Posted too

and for desert, pumpkin, pecan, and choc drizzled cherry pies...might
just throw in some cheesecake for good luck tooo....OHHHH and We will
be having some of Damsel and her moms "FRUITCAKE"..LAMO, it finaly got
here...and while its not too terrible, I still cant say im a big fan
of fruitcake...Hag k

Cyndi

Nov 5, 2001, 7:09:49 PM11/5/01
Carol,

We do our similarly except we substitute the hazelnuts with pine nuts, use
lemon pepper in lieu of the lemon peel and toss in some bacon. Okay, I
guess it's not that similar... but they both have green beans and olive oil
<G>!

--
Cyndi

> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>

> >Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon (Epicurious)
>
> I first made these for a Thanksgiving dinner a couple of years ago.
> Cleaning and snapping the beans together gave us a nice time of
> togetherness. It was really enjoyable. Another asset is that this dish
> can be prepared a day ahead of time, so you don't have so much work to do
> on Thanksgiving day.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>

> Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon
>
> Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
> Categories : nuts side dishes
> vegetables

> 1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
> 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
> 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
> 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine
>
> In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to 8
> minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while still
hot
> with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made 1
day
> ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.
>
> Source:
> "http://www.epicurious.com/"
> Copyright:
> "November 1995"

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 5, 2001, 8:11:35 PM11/5/01
"Cyndi" <rncha...@home.com> wrote:

>Carol,
>
>We do our similarly except we substitute the hazelnuts with pine nuts, use
>lemon pepper in lieu of the lemon peel and toss in some bacon. Okay, I
>guess it's not that similar... but they both have green beans and olive
oil
><G>!

LOL! Your version sounds awfully good, too. Hmmm, bacon....

Carol

Hag & Stenni

Nov 6, 2001, 5:17:20 AM11/6/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 16:42:00 GMT, "MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net>
wrote:

>> "Linda" <lbma...@home.com> wrote in message

>> > Can you share this receipe? The one I've made in the past was put in
>the
>> > "I'll eat it if you make it, but don't make it " category by DH....
>> >
>> > Linda M.
>
>(Sorry 'bout that. Hit the Send button too soon. <G>)
>
>Sure, I'll share it. It's embarrassingly simple to make.
>
>Mix three cups of cooked rice (still hot) with a jar of Cheez Whiz. Add
>10-oz. of thawed chopped broccoli, a small jar of mushrooms that you've
>sauteed, a small can of sliced water chestnuts, a 4-oz. can of chopped green
>chilis, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a tablespoon of minced onion, and

>salt and pepper to taste.
>

>Spoon it all into a casserole dish and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
>Bake at 350 for an hour (cover with foil for the first half hour).
>
>Don't let the fact that because it's made with cream of chicken soup and
>Cheez Whiz scare you. The result is really delicious. One of those dishes
>that everyone likes and looks forward to every year.
>
>Mary

Just had it for dinner tonight...Wonderful...Everybody loved it...I
think we will have to replace the jalapeno mac w/ it this year for
thanksgiving!...Hag k

MareCat

Nov 6, 2001, 8:05:32 AM11/6/01
"Hag & Stenni" <ste...@vision1mm.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 16:42:00 GMT, "MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Sure, I'll share it. It's embarrassingly simple to make.
> >
> >Mix three cups of cooked rice (still hot) with a jar of Cheez Whiz. Add
> >10-oz. of thawed chopped broccoli, a small jar of mushrooms that you've
> >sauteed, a small can of sliced water chestnuts, a 4-oz. can of chopped
green
> >chilis, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a tablespoon of minced onion,
and
> >salt and pepper to taste.
> >
> >Spoon it all into a casserole dish and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
> >Bake at 350 for an hour (cover with foil for the first half hour).
> >
> >Don't let the fact that because it's made with cream of chicken soup and
> >Cheez Whiz scare you. The result is really delicious. One of those dishes
> >that everyone likes and looks forward to every year.
> >
> >Mary
> >

> Just had it for dinner tonight...Wonderful...Everybody loved it...I
> think we will have to replace the jalapeno mac w/ it this year for
> thanksgiving!...Hag k

It's also good with some cooked chicken/turkey thrown in. Makes it more like
a complete meal.

Mary

J. Helman

Nov 6, 2001, 11:47:16 AM11/6/01
Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 01:37:24 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
> <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> >>Do you know why this is this called Watergate Salad? Is there some
> >>pun about the scandal I'm missing?
> >
> >I'm not really sure. I think that there is/was a restaurant at the
> >Watergate complex that served some kind of pistachio dessert. There are
> >recipes floating around for a Watergate cake, too. Also based on instant
> >pistachio pudding mix. Maybe someone will come along who knows the source
> >of the name.
>
> The Watergate was (is?) a hotel, it had a restaurant, I'm pretty sure this
> was just something they served (or similar to it), but I could be
> misremembering.

The Watergate is a hotel/apartment/office complex. It also has shops
and a restaurant. I grew up and spent most of my life in the D.C. area
and while I never ate at the Watergate, I assume that the salad is just
something a chef there created and named after the complex.

blacksalt

Nov 6, 2001, 4:29:41 PM11/6/01
This is delicious:
From Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

12 oz bag cranberries
2 peeled tangerines (I used seedless clementines)
or an orange
(optional) 2 drops orange oil
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
salt
3 T finely chopped walnuts
(optional) 1 teas orange flower water (I didn't have but did put in a
1/4 teas lemon juice because the clementines were so mellow).

Wash berries, pulse with chopped peeled citrus in food processor to a
mince (or grind through a meat grinder), stir in the rest, starting with
1/2 cup sugar, and then taste. Add more sugar if needed.

I eat this by the bowlful. It is good with cottage cheese for a quick lunch. It
will keep for about 6 days, and I double the recipe.
blacksalt

jame...@bellatlantic.net

Nov 6, 2001, 5:45:33 PM11/6/01
hi all,

i made this today and it is absolutely fantastic.
I love the way the pecan pie mix and the cheese cake mix just meld
together during the baking process,

i think it will become one of my favorite desserts to make.

thanks damsel

jim

On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 23:54:47 GMT, ste...@vision1mm.com (Hag & Stenni)
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 18:13:46 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress

><dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>Cheesecake Pecan Pie (W.H. Stoneman, rfc)
>>
>>Haven't made this yet. We're going to do a test run sometime this week.
>>It looks heavenly. Thanks for the recipe, Billy!

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>

>> Cheesecake Pecan Pie
>>
>>Recipe By :W. H. Stoneman
>>Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : cheesecakes pies
>>
>snip -
>
>please do post a followup in this dams, sounds wonderful! Hag k

Ranee Mueller

Nov 6, 2001, 7:14:43 PM11/6/01
In article <uBDF7.63422$tb2.5...@bin2.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>,
"MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net> wrote:

> Would you just put the turkey and the brine right in the cooler
> (without putting the turkey in some sort of pot first)? I've been
> looking for an alternative to putting the turkey in the fridge to
> brine (not enough room for the big pot), and this might be a
> solution. I've also toyed with the idea of putting the turkey in a
> big pot, placing the pot in the bathtub, and surrounding the pot with
> tons of ice, but I'm not sure that would be the way to go.

I would dump the turkey in with the brine, no pot, no liner, just
lots of icy packs. That's why I said styrofoam, you could bleach the
heck out of it afterward, or throw it away.

Haleygale

Nov 6, 2001, 7:32:24 PM11/6/01
>We've also brined a pork roast, which we then
>roasted in the oven overnight at 250F. FABULOUS! I can't wait to

How many hours did you actually have the roast in the oven at 250F?
This sounds interesting!

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 6, 2001, 7:58:30 PM11/6/01
hale...@aol.com (Haleygale) wrote:

>>We've also brined a pork roast, which we then
>>roasted in the oven overnight at 250F. FABULOUS!
>

>How many hours did you actually have the roast in the oven at 250F?
>This sounds interesting!

I'm sure that it was in there for a good 10 hours. Maybe more. It was
tender and moist and delicious. We just took a cue from the procedures
used in smoking meat. You do the roast at 250F in the smoker for many,
many hours. With the oven, there's no tending to do. Just toss it in the
oven and go to bed. Wake up to a terrific lunch meal. It's as convenient
as using a crockpot!

When we did the pork roast, we didn't cover the meat. We later made a beef
roast the same way, but wanted gravy. All we did was put aluminum foil
over the meat before placing it in the oven, and we had plenty of great
meat juices.

We haven't browned the meat before roasting it this way, but I'll bet it
would be even better that way.

Good luck!

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 7, 2001, 12:51:51 AM11/7/01
<jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>i made this today and it is absolutely fantastic.
>I love the way the pecan pie mix and the cheese cake mix just meld
>together during the baking process,

I'm glad it turned out for ya. I attempted one of these today, too. I
don't know what I did wrong, but the pecan filling is completely liquid.
And it settled under the cheesecake part. Nuts on top, then cheesecake,
then a gooey lake. I feel like a complete failure. :-(

Damsel, Incompetent Cook

DJD

Nov 7, 2001, 10:09:17 AM11/7/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> pu...@aol.com (Pup K9) wrote:
>
> >I would appreciate to see your reciep for
> >the brine that you'll be using?
>
> I really can't answer your brining questions, because I'm a rank amateur,
> myself. This brine was originally developed for turkey. We've used it to
> brine, then smoke, salmon. We've also brined a pork roast, which we then
> roasted in the oven overnight at 250F. FABULOUS! I can't wait to try this
> with turkey!
<snipped>

Damsel,

You posted this brine a month or so ago. I modified it a little by
taking out the chili powder and red pepper, then adding tarragon and
dill to marinate salmon (I don't have a smoker). My wife loved it and
has asked me several times when I am going to make it again. :-)

Dan

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 7, 2001, 11:06:58 AM11/7/01
DJD <Bit...@NoSpammers.com> wrote:

>Damsel,
>
>You posted this brine a month or so ago. I modified it a little by
>taking out the chili powder and red pepper, then adding tarragon and
>dill to marinate salmon (I don't have a smoker). My wife loved it and
>has asked me several times when I am going to make it again. :-)

Ohhhhhh, that sounds good! And we just happen to have a slab of salmon in
the freezer. Thanks for posting this!!!

Damsel

Moi

Nov 7, 2001, 3:09:15 PM11/7/01

For the Cheesecake Pecan Pie do I need to adjust for high altitude? I know
for cakes and cookies I need to but I'm unsure as to cheesecake.

tia,
Linda

CAROL

Nov 7, 2001, 3:31:33 PM11/7/01
Hey Becca,
I'll be in Costa Rica also.
Visiting daughter in Tamarindo.
Does anyone know if I can bring in any foodstuffs?

My best,

Carol

jame...@bellatlantic.net

Nov 7, 2001, 5:33:27 PM11/7/01
On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:51:51 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

><jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
>>i made this today and it is absolutely fantastic.
>>I love the way the pecan pie mix and the cheese cake mix just meld
>>together during the baking process,
>
>I'm glad it turned out for ya. I attempted one of these today, too. I
>don't know what I did wrong, but the pecan filling is completely liquid.
>And it settled under the cheesecake part. Nuts on top, then cheesecake,
>then a gooey lake. I feel like a complete failure. :-(
>
>Damsel, Incompetent Cook

H damsel

don't feel bad, i feed the trash can with more disasters then most
people could count. In my attempts, and i've bakedt this twice
already, the pecan pie portion does go to the bottom, but it does set,
and i found that the caramelly taste of the pecan pie sort of infuses
itself into the entire cheese cake giving it a wonderful flavor. The
bottom of the pie is rather moist, maybe more then i would like, but
that just be the nature of this pie. As for the goo disaster of your
pie, is it possible that the temp of your oven was incorrectly set?
i set mine for the 350 degrees, but baked it for almost one hour. i
think i may have over baked it by just a little bit. i'll let you
know how this one turned out tomorrow after i let the lab rats at work
taste it.

jim

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 7, 2001, 5:44:11 PM11/7/01
"Moi" <m...@xxxxxxxx.com> wrote:

I really don't know, Linda. Hopefully, someone else will have an answer
for you. I made the pie for the first time yesterday, and the pecan
filling part didn't set. It's all runny. The recipe has worked for other
people, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 7, 2001, 5:56:26 PM11/7/01
<jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress z<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I'm glad it turned out for ya. I attempted one of these today, too. I
>>I don't know what I did wrong, but the pecan filling is completely
>>liquid.
>

>As for the goo disaster of your
>pie, is it possible that the temp of your oven was incorrectly set?
>i set mine for the 350 degrees, but baked it for almost one hour.

Our oven does run slightly low. I think we'll try this again, with the
oven set at 355 degrees, foil over the crust so it doesn't burn, and bake
it for an hour, as you did.

Did you use a deep dish pie pan? I used a regular one, and the filling
came completely to the top. I was afraid that it would bubble over the top
during baking, but it was okay. I'm thinking of going deep dish for the
next one. Or, maybe a 10-inch pan. Can you tell I'm not an experienced
pie baker?

Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions. The top, nutty crust and
the cheesecake part are delicious. Can't wait to try a successful version
of the pie!

Carol

Becca

Nov 7, 2001, 6:01:29 PM11/7/01
> Hey Becca,
> I'll be in Costa Rica also.
> Visiting daughter in Tamarindo.
> Does anyone know if I can bring in any foodstuffs?

The United States will not allow you to bring back many items into this
country; no meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, animals, and plant and
animal products. The dogs will be waiting in the US Customs area, they
are good about sniffing out contraband.

I have friends who bring back coffee from other countries, and the
coffee is prepackaged. So, I'm not exactly sure what foods their rules
limit.

I've packed my Pepperidge Farm cookies, so I hope it's legal to take
those with me (I noticed that Cozumel no longer allows you to bring
fruit with you). I leave tomorrow, I'll return on the 19th.

Enjoy the visit with your daughter.

Becca

Hag & Stenni

Nov 7, 2001, 6:26:06 PM11/7/01

Im planning on giving this rec a go this weekend, gonna use my
butternut toffee crust rec (just to make it more disgustingly rich
and fatning..LOL)...Ill let you know how mine turns out...Hag k

jame...@bellatlantic.net

Nov 8, 2001, 1:01:12 PM11/8/01
On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:56:26 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

><jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress z<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm glad it turned out for ya. I attempted one of these today, too. I
>>>I don't know what I did wrong, but the pecan filling is completely
>>>liquid.
>>
>>As for the goo disaster of your
>>pie, is it possible that the temp of your oven was incorrectly set?
>>i set mine for the 350 degrees, but baked it for almost one hour.
>
>Our oven does run slightly low. I think we'll try this again, with the
>oven set at 355 degrees, foil over the crust so it doesn't burn, and bake
>it for an hour, as you did.
>
>Did you use a deep dish pie pan? I used a regular one, and the filling
>came completely to the top. I was afraid that it would bubble over the top
>during baking, but it was okay. I'm thinking of going deep dish for the
>next one. Or, maybe a 10-inch pan. Can you tell I'm not an experienced
>pie baker?
>
>Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions. The top, nutty crust and
>the cheesecake part are delicious. Can't wait to try a successful version
>of the pie!
>
>Carol

hi again,

i used a deep dish 9" pan, and the filling did really bubble up over
the top, but it did not spill over. i don't know about covering the
pie with foil, it might interfere with the natural rise of the pie.
my oven at home is pretty weird at times also. so i just got myself a
good oven thermometer. and i check the temp of the oven that way
every 10 min or so and adjust the temp that way.
i hope it works out for you because this pie is really really good.
and all my "lab rats" at work loved it. (lab rats = unuspecting
co-workers and neighbors who i test all my new recipes on).

have a wonder weekend and i wish you much success with this pie. im
going to go away for the weekend, so i'll check in on monday, to see
how it all went for you.

happy baking

jim

Hag & Stenni

Nov 12, 2001, 10:47:55 PM11/12/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 18:13:46 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>

>>Cheesecake Pecan Pie (W.H. Stoneman, rfc)
>
>Haven't made this yet. We're going to do a test run sometime this week.
>It looks heavenly. Thanks for the recipe, Billy!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cheesecake Pecan Pie
>
>Recipe By :W. H. Stoneman
>Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : cheesecakes pies

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------

> 1 9" pastry shell, unbaked
> ---Cream Cheese Layer---
> 8 ounces cream cheese
> 1 large egg
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> ---Pecan Layer---
> 1 1/4 cups pecans -- coarsely chopped
> 3 eggs
> 1 cup light corn syrup
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>
>Preheat oven to 350F.
>
>In a food processor, process the cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar and 1
>teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the
>unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle the pecans over the cheese mixture.
>
>For the filling, beat the 3 eggs with an electric mixer until foamy. Add
>the corn syrup, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the salt and combine.
>Pour over the pecans. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
>
>Source:
> "rec.food.cooking"
>Yield:
> "1 9-inch pie"

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

>--
>Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
>http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/
>Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, Birthdays,
>Signature Dishes, Chat Channel
>DALnet #rec.food.cooking

Well Damsel, I gave this a spin last night.....And unfortunatley I
have to report that it was Revolting...It was so BAD in fact that out
of consideration for my husband and children I had to attempt to eat
it ALL by myself...LOL.... WOW this is a nice pie...Its so darned rich
though that one can only manage a small piece of it without
overload...Its definitly going on the thanksgiving menu...lets make
sure this one makes it into the cookbook ok?

I would note for anyone interested in trying it to -

#1 - use a deepdish pie pan, I couldnt get all the filling in my
regular 9 inch pie pan and had to throw some out...and then it
overflowed anyway

#2 - It took a little over an hour in my oven to cook vice the
40 min sugested...maybe its just my oven?

Thanks for passing this one on Dams..Hag k

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 12, 2001, 11:45:30 PM11/12/01
ste...@vision1mm.com (Hag & Stenni) wrote:

> It took a little over an hour in my oven to cook vice the
>40 min sugested...maybe its just my oven?

I don't think it's your oven. You're the third person to find that the pie
was underbaked at 40 minutes. I'm just the only one dumb enough to take it
out of the oven anyway. "Hello, would you care for a glass of pie?"

Carol

Hag & Stenni

Nov 13, 2001, 3:56:01 AM11/13/01

No my dear, Just like elvis, the pie left...I was out and the StenOne
took it out as soon as the buzzer rang...It looked nice and browned
when I got back, all was fine until I stuck a knife in it...As you say
"care for a glass of pie...However I reheated the oven and stuck it
back in for 1/2 hr...it solid'd up...Hag k

Billy

Nov 13, 2001, 7:12:59 PM11/13/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>ste...@vision1mm.com (Hag & Stenni) wrote:
>
>> It took a little over an hour in my oven to cook vice the
>>40 min sugested...maybe its just my oven?
>
>I don't think it's your oven. You're the third person to find that the pie
>was underbaked at 40 minutes. I'm just the only one dumb enough to take it
>out of the oven anyway. "Hello, would you care for a glass of pie?"
>
>Carol

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>ste...@vision1mm.com (Hag & Stenni) wrote:
>
>> It took a little over an hour in my oven to cook vice the
>>40 min sugested...maybe its just my oven?
>
>I don't think it's your oven. You're the third person to find that the pie
>was underbaked at 40 minutes. I'm just the only one dumb enough to take it
>out of the oven anyway. "Hello, would you care for a glass of pie?"
>
>Carol

Carol...............I was a bit flattered to find that you credited me for a
recipe...but alas, I have to say, it might have been forwarded to you...but
after closer consideration....that is NOT my recipe.

I looked at the recipe and later though...that really it the TYPE of recipe I
would like. My partiality to rich desserts is incomprehensible.

After reading the recipe...my wheels started spinning and I began to pursue
where this recipe came from. It was not in any of my cookbooks....but I did
find a reference to the infamous Cheesecake Pecan Pie!

This morning, I went to recipesourse
http://www.recipesource.com/text./baked-goods/desserts/pies/recipe177.txt
and found the original recipe.

As you can see...........I was NOT the original author

* Exported from MasterCook * CHEESECAKE PECAN PIE Recipe By : Serving Size : 8
Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Pies Cheesecakes Amount Measure Ingredient
-- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 8
oz Cream cheese -- softened 1 Egg 1/3 c Sugar 1 t Vanilla 1 Pie shell -- unbaked
9 inch 1 1/2 c Pecan halves 2 Eggs -- slightly beaten 1/4 c Sugar 2/3 c Corn
syrup-light 1/2 ts Vanilla Combine cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1
teaspoon vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Spread over bottom of pie shell.
Arrange pecans on the cream cheese mixture. Mix remaining eggs, sugar, corn
syrup, and vanilla, stirring well. Carefully pour over the pecans. Bake at 375
degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until done. source Janice Norman- Fidonet via
Eric Decker, R-Cuisine Source: Janice Norman - FidoNet - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - -

Sorry for the misinformation about the recipe....and we will have to find Janice
Norman and kill her.

BTW............ the recipe does say...40 to 45 minutes or UNTIL DONE........

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 13, 2001, 7:34:39 PM11/13/01
Billy <wsto...@icx.net> wrote:

>Carol...............I was a bit flattered to find that you credited me
>for a recipe...but alas, I have to say, it might have been forwarded
>to you...but after closer consideration....that is NOT my recipe.

Oops! Okay, gang, so it's NOT Billy's fault if the filling is runny! LOL!
I've re-written the instructions, and am including the edited recipe for
the edification of all who seek extraordinarily rich desserts.

Cheesecake Pecan Pie

Recipe By :adapted by Damsel in dis Dress

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : cheesecakes pies

1 9" pastry shell, unbaked

---Cheesecake Layer---

8 ounces cream cheese
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

---Pecan Pie Layer---
1 1/4 cups pecans -- coarsely broken

3 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F.

Line a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with pastry.

Cheesecake Layer:
With an electric mixer, whip the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until

fluffy. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.

Pecan Pie Layer:
Sprinkle the pecans over the cheese mixture. Beat the eggs with an
electric mixer until foamy. Add the corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, and salt
and mix well. Pour over the pecans.

Bake for one hour, or until center of pie is firm. Serve warm or cold.

Yield:
"1 9-inch pie"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : After baking, the pecan filling will be on the bottom, the
cheesecake layer will be on top of that, and the nuts will form a crunchy
topping. This is a very rich pie. Cut those pieces small!

Mary Bush

Nov 16, 2001, 12:15:53 PM11/16/01
Liz, was this your list? I'd love to have the recipe for the green beans
with caramelized onions, etc. and the garlic mashed potatoes with bleu
cheese.

We do a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, dressing, mashed
potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, rolls. If more than
just my small family, I add candied yams, green salad, or Jell-O salad.
Usually have some other kind of pie too. This year my daughter wants to
make a caramel/apple pie - to try it out on us. My husband always wants to
try something like prime rib but he gets outvoted since I do the shopping
and most of the cooking.

Mary Bush
"Liz C" <har...@doginxpress.net> wrote in message
> In article <dht9uts4kl9in9cct...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis
Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> says:
> >Oh, and I'd love to see what other people will be
> >serving this year!
> >
> >Soup
>
> No soup, I've never been much for soup before dinner
>
> >Salad
> Ceasar salad with homemade garlic croutons - been saving stale bread
> for this and the stuffing for a couple days now :) Anchovies on the
> side (I dont' tell the family about the paste that went into the
> dressing <g>)
>
> >Relishes
> Olives, pickles, cranberry
>
> >Side Dishes
> Green beans with caramelized onions, bacon and malt vinegar
> Sweet potatoes with orange pecan topping
> Garlic mashed potatoes with bleu cheese
> Sage stuffing
> gravy
>
> >Bread
> my mothers walnut herd bread (I think it comes from the NY Times
> cookbook or James Beard) if I get to it, baguettes from Whole Foods
> if I don't
>
> >Meat
> Turkey - I don't do much to it except dust with Penzey's Bicentennial
> and pin sausages to it - the dogs get the little burnt sausages
> afterwards.
>
> >Dessert
> It's pie day for the boys - they each get to pick one, so we're
> having chocolate, pumpkin, mincemeat and caramel apple.
>
> Liz & the rottie riot squad
> Cecil, Lo-Tec and the grrrrls,
> Janni, Chrome & The Dixie Flatline
> take out the dog to mail

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 23, 2001, 11:48:16 PM11/23/01
<jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>have a wonder weekend and i wish you much success with this pie. im
>going to go away for the weekend, so i'll check in on monday, to see
>how it all went for you.

It's been a couple of weeks, but I finally had a chance to try this pie
again today. I baked it in a deep-dish pan (it puffed up above the crust,
but didn't spill over) for 55 minutes. Absolutely amazing! Crunchy,
caramely, creamy, all in one pie. I'm very grateful for your help, and
glad I didn't give up! (Here's the recipe again, in case anyone's curious
- since we don't know whose recipe this is, and I re-wrote all the
directions and clarified a few things, my name is on it - feel free to
change that to, "Unknown.")

Cheesecake Pecan Pie

[...]

Bake until center of pie is firm, about 55 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

Yield:
"1 9-inch pie"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : After baking, the pecan filling will be on the bottom, the
cheesecake layer will be on top of that, and the nuts will form a crunchy
topping. This is a very rich pie. Cut those pieces small!

J. Helman

Nov 24, 2001, 4:45:19 PM11/24/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> <jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
> >have a wonder weekend and i wish you much success with this pie. im
> >going to go away for the weekend, so i'll check in on monday, to see
> >how it all went for you.
>
> It's been a couple of weeks, but I finally had a chance to try this pie
> again today. I baked it in a deep-dish pan (it puffed up above the crust,
> but didn't spill over) for 55 minutes. Absolutely amazing! Crunchy,
> caramely, creamy, all in one pie....
>
> (recipe snipped)

I made this pie for Thanksgiving, with two substitutions. I used sliced
almonds instead of pecans and almond extract instead of vanilla
extract. My husband said it was the best pie he had ever eaten.

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 24, 2001, 6:03:37 PM11/24/01
"J. Helman" <jhe...@blazenet.net> wrote:

>I made this pie for Thanksgiving, with two substitutions. I used sliced
>almonds instead of pecans and almond extract instead of vanilla
>extract. My husband said it was the best pie he had ever eaten.

Wow, does that sound good! I'm adding this to my recipe files -
author, J. Helman. Thank you for sharing your idea!

Carol

Hag & Stenni

Nov 24, 2001, 9:23:03 PM11/24/01

I made it also, but I used my butter nut toffee crust (uses ground
pecans) and it was Outta this world...Makes it even richer (yeah like
it needed that .....LOL)....The Hag thinking she needs the last slice
w/ her morning coffee...hmmmm.....Hag k

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 24, 2001, 9:57:13 PM11/24/01
ste...@vision1mm.com (Hag & Stenni) wrote:

>I made it also, but I used my butter nut toffee crust (uses ground
>pecans) and it was Outta this world...Makes it even richer (yeah like
>it needed that .....LOL)....The Hag thinking she needs the last slice
>w/ her morning coffee...hmmmm....

Hag served a cheese pie in this crust at the Hermann cook-in.
Here's the recipe:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/hermann01/cheesepie.html

Nut Crust

1/2 c flour
1/2 c lite brown sugar
1/2 c finely chopped pecans
1/4 c butter

Combine dry ingredients. Add butter and cut in until well mixed and
crumbly. Pat into a 9 in pie pan. Set in the refer to chill while your
make the filling.

A Ross

Nov 26, 2001, 10:54:37 AM11/26/01
In article <t79uvt44r1qn65dsq...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis
Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> <jame...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
> >have a wonder weekend and i wish you much success with this pie. im
> >going to go away for the weekend, so i'll check in on monday, to see
> >how it all went for you.

Thank you so much for the recipe--it was a huge success. I made two pies,
one for my family, one for the in-laws. Everyone loved it.

--
~Amy~

Remove any x's before replying.