Biscotti Recipe?

Kim Emory

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

Does anyone have a relatively easy recipe for biscotti? The coffee shops
around here have gotten me addicited to having some with my coffee, but I'd
like to make it at home to bring to work. Thanks in advance.

Joan Mathew

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

kem...@dogwood.botany.uga.edu (Kim Emory) wrote:

I don't know what you qualify as easy, but IMO making biscotti is fairly
straightforward....it's just a bit time-consuming.

I have links to biscotti recipes as well as a few recipes that are posted
right on my site. Go to:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/cooking.html

Enjoy,
Joan
--
To send email, change "comm" to "com" in the address
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/index.html

Deja News: http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Watabod

Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97

Ok - I won a recipe contest with this one:

Orange-Macadamia Biscotti

1 stick butter softened 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten 2/3 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder 3 cups flour
2 Tbl orange zest 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and
chopped

Preheat oven to 325. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and
combine well. Stir in the orange juice and zest. Combine the dry ingredients
and add to the orange mixture. Stirring until almost completely mixed. Add
the toasted nuts. Dough will be sticky - flour your hands.

Place dough onto a well floured surface. Divide in half. Place one half onto
a baking sheet. Pinch and pat it into a log the length of the baking sheet.
Slightly flatten the log. Repeat this with the other half. Both should fit
on one baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the
logs from the pan. Slice them on a 45-degree angle into 3/4-inch slices.
Place these cut side down onto the baking sheet and return to the oven for 10
minutes. Remove from oven and flip the slices. Return to the oven for
another 10 minutes. If you like crisp biscotti, turn off the oven and leave
them for another 10-20 minutes. Cool and dunk!!!

For another taste the macadamia nuts can be substituted with dried
cranberries!!! yummy!
Donna - who seems to be having an airhead week!
There are three kinds of people in the world........
those who can count and those who can't.

Jack and Nannette

Nov 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/14/97
to Kim Emory

Hi Kim,
I have made this Hazelnut recipe numerous times and it is one of my
favorite.

Hazelnut Biscotti
1 C hazelnuts, lightly toasted and skinned (I use chopped pieces by
Diamond)
1 C sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, melted
4 Tbsp hazelnut liqueur or brandy
3 large eggs (@ room temp)
3 C unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coarsely chop the hazelnuts. In a bowl,
conbine the nuts, sugar, butter, liqueur and eggs; mix well.
Stir in the flour, baking pwd, & salt. Turn the dough out onto a
floured surface and knead briefly; then form into a long loaf about 2
inches wide. Place the loaf on a parchment-lined or lightly oiled
cookie sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 25 min. or until
firm. The loaf will have a cake like texture. Remove from the oven and
cool.
Cut the loaf diagonally into 1/2 inches slices and lay these out on a
cookie sheet. Bake 10min then turn and bake another 10 min. until both
sides are lightly browned and toasted. Cool and store in an airtight
container.
**Note--If you can obtain, you can use metal ice cube trays, remove the
dividers and grease pans.

Pistachio Biscotti
2 eggs @ room temp
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C sugar
1 3/4 C cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 C shelled, chopped pistaschio nuts
**For more flavor, may wish to add 1/2 (3 oz) pkg dry pistachio pudding
mix to dry ingreds.
3 oz. semi-sweet choc., melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with an
electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in almond
extract, vanilla and sugar until mixtue is thick and lemon-colored,
scraping down sides of bowl frequently with a rubber sspatula.
Mix cake flour with baking pwd. & salt, **dry pistachio pudding mix
if using. With wire whisk, folk into egg mixture until just thoroughly
combined. Fold in chopped pistachios.
Grease a 10x14" strip down center of two cookie sheets. Spoon half
of pistachio mixture down center of each cookie sheet to make 3x10"
log. Bake 30 min. Remove from oven; leave oven on.
Let logs cool on sheets 5 min., or until cool enough to handle.
With a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 16 slices. Place
slices, flat sides down, on cookie shee and return to oven bake 10 min.
Turn slices over and bake 10 more min. or until golden on both sides.
Remove to racks and let stand until cool enough to handle. Spread
melted choc. over one end ,or one side of biscotti and let cool
completely. Store in a tighly covered container. Bon Appe'tit!!
Nannette

Laura

Nov 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/14/97

Or chocolate coffee! My husband bought that because I am a chocolate
lover. We actually tried several different brands. They all just tasted
burned, not at all like chocolate.

But back to biscotti, this thread reminded me of the Biscotti recipe
collections that were posted, probably 2-3 or maybe even 4 years ago. Does
anyone have a softcopy they could mail the original requestor or know if
they are archived (perhaps the r.f.c archive that someone else posted the
address too..)? I have a hardcopy but no way am I typing it all back in -
it is about 15-20 pages long!
--
Laura

to respond remove "not" and "here" - notl...@herenetexp.net

E.Smith <c...@telepath.com> wrote in article
<346bd43a...@news.telepath.com>...
:
: A nice cinnamon roll *WITH* raisins and cinnamon and not
: so much icing. And just a plain cup of coffee, not all that crap
: that's out there now. Who in the hell wants *Raspberry* coffee?
: -----------
:
: Rocky?
:
: Adrieeeeeeeeeeennnnnne!!!!
:

juan

Nov 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/15/97

Kim Emory <kem...@dogwood.botany.uga.edu> wrote in article
<64chec$c02$1...@cronkite.cc.uga.edu>...

> Does anyone have a relatively easy recipe for biscotti? The coffee shops

> around here have gotten me addicited to having some with my coffee, but
I'd
> like to make it at home to bring to work. Thanks in advance.

Here's one from Maida Heatter's "Brand New Book of Cookies".
I've not tried it out before. Do tell me if it works for you.

Palm Beach Biscotti(75 long thin biscotti)
1 and 3/4 cups flour
Scant 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 oz unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
10 oz pecan halves
1) Preheat oven to 180 C. Butter two loaf tins and dust throughly with
bread crumbs and invert over
paper to remove excess.
2) Sift flour, salt and baking powder in bowl. Set aside.
3) Cream butter till soft. Add in vanilla, then sugar then eggs, one at a
time. Add dry ingredients and
beat on low speed, scrapping as necessary with spatula.
4) There will be 5 cups of batter. Place 2 and 1/2 cups in each tin( they
will be filled less than half).
Smooth top with bottom of a large spoon and form a deep trench down the
length of each tin to
prevent a high mound from forming in the middle of each loaf.
5) Bake both tins for 55 minutes, reversing front to back after 30 minutes
to ensure even baking till
cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
6) Remove pans from oven. The crustsa would crumble on cutting. To prevent
that, wet and wring a
paper towel. Open it, fold in half and place directly on top of 1 loaf.
Cover top with aluminium foil
and fold over to keep steam in. Repeat for other loaf.
7) Let cakes cool in tin. Cover with small cake rack and invert pan and
rack. Remove the pan. With your
hands, carefully turn the loaf right side up without the foil and damp
paper towel. It will be a shallow
loaf. Freeze for several hours.
8) Preheat oven to 160 C. Place a frozen loaf on a cutting board. With the
help of a long, thin knife with
a sharp, straight blade, cut slowly and carefully into 1/4 inch thick.
Wait for a few minutes if the loaf is
too thick.
9) Place the cut slices, right side down next to each other on an unlined
cookie sheet. Repeat with other
loaf.
10)Bake for 15-25 minutes. Do not over bake. Remove slices one at a time.
Transfer to a rack. Let cool
and store in airtight container.

Enjoy baking!!!