Beef Stew

Ken Knott

Sep 13, 2002, 12:53:04 PM9/13/02
Anyone have an interesting recipe for Beef Stew. Most I've found are all
very simple and minimally spice with typically only salt and pepper.

Anyone got something different?

Thanks,

Ken

Bubba

Sep 13, 2002, 4:42:46 PM9/13/02

"Ken Knott" <javas...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Bubba

Sep 13, 2002, 4:57:53 PM9/13/02
This is the route I go:

STEW

2 lbs chuck cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes 1 4-oz can of whole mushrooms
4 slices bacon 1 cup dry red wine
1 medium onion, sliced 1 Tablespoon Worcesterchire sauce
6 carrots, pared and quartered 2 cloves of garlic
4 potatoes, pared and quartered 2 bay leaves
1 stalk celery salt and pepper(about a tsp
each)
1 pound small white onions 1 teaspoon sugar
12 pimento-stuffed olives cut in half 1 teaspoon paprika
3 cans beef broth dash allspice

Cook several cut-up slices of bacon in a dutch oven, brown stew meat in the
bacon drippings.

Add a couple of cans of beef broth, a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a
medium onion sliced, salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, a cup of dry red
wine, a couple of cloves of garlic, and a couple of bay leafs, sugar, and
allspice.

Simmer for a couple of hours.

Add carrots and potatoes pared and quartered, a stalk of chopped celery,
about a pound of small white onions, 12 pimento-stuffed olives each cut in
half, a couple of cups of flour gravy and another can of beef broth.

For gravy, measure 1 3/4 cup of liquid from stew. Combine 1/4 cup water and
2 tablespoons all-purpose flower until smooth. Stir slowly into hot liquid.
Cook and stir til bubbly about 3 minutes.

Put lid on pot and cook in oven at 275 degrees until Bear gets home.

Add a 4-ounce can of whole mushrooms (drained) a few minutes before serving
over buttered noodles with the remainder of the bottle of red wine.

I don't have any idea where this recipe came from. Could be Joy of Cooking,
a magazine or even this NG. I patched it into my recipe file and have been
using it for years.

Something else you might try is a Tejano version of stew called Carne
Quisada. It goes something like this:

Carne Guisada con
Papas

3 lbs. round steak, 1/2" thick, cut into bite-size pieces
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2" cubes
1 large onion, chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz. tomato sauce
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup water
OR 1/2 c.water and 1/2 c.red wine
OR 1 c. beef stock

Over medium-high heat, brown steak pieces in oil in heavy skillet. Add
potatoes and onion and continue to brown, stirring frequently. Lower heat to
medium-low, and add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and
garlic. Add the liquid of choice and simmer, stirring occasionally, until
meat and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Potatoes will thicken sauce. Serve with flour tortillas to sop up the good
sauce.

There are probably as many variations on this recipe as there are Tex-Mex
places. I've made this stuff a few times but put it in the same category as
Pho - - - recreational cooking. With so many places close by that serve up
a larrupin good product, why bother.

Billy

Sep 13, 2002, 5:10:35 PM9/13/02
"Bubba" <bub...@houston.rr.nospam.com> wrote:

> Most I've found are all
>> very simple and minimally spice with typically only salt and pepper.

Yes.........that IS the recipe!! Isn't it wonderful!!!
The natural flavors of a simple beef stew is very enjoyable combined with
potatoes, carrots and onions.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences,
ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you
know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit! © W. H. Stoneman

Ken Knott

Sep 13, 2002, 5:13:48 PM9/13/02
Anyone have an interesting recipe for beef stew?? I've seen a ton but
they're all kinda simple with very minimal seasoning like just salt
and pepper. Anyone got something different and 'complex'?

I know that sorta defeats the purpose of stew, but I need variety!

Thanks,

Ken

MareCat

Sep 13, 2002, 6:07:58 PM9/13/02
Ken Knott wrote:

I like this one. Sometimes I add carrots and potatoes.

The stew smells WONDERFUL while it's cooking!

Mary

Boeuf Bourguignon

6 medium onions, sliced in rings
1/2 cup butter
3 pounds trimmed, cubed stew meat
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 cups beef broth or consomme
1 1/2 cups Burgundy wine
1 pound mushrooms

Saute onions in butter. Add meat and brown. Add flour, salt, pepper, and
spices. Stir until smooth. Add 1/2 cup broth and 1 cup wine. Simmer 3
hours. Add mushrooms; simmer 1 hour more. Add remainder of broth or wine
as needed. Serve over rice. Serves 6.

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2002, 6:28:36 PM9/13/02
"Ken Knott" <javas...@attbi.com> said:

Follow one of the bland recipes, but be sure to use onion, garlic, red
wine, and thyme. I don't make mine from recipe, so I can't help you out
that way. But the thyme, especially, makes a world of difference!

Best wishes,
Carol
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2002, 6:36:39 PM9/13/02
Ken, make this one, but add garlic, carrots, and potatoes. You'll love it!

Carol

MareCat <Nittany_Lio...@hotmail.com> said:

PENMART01

Sep 13, 2002, 6:39:42 PM9/13/02
In article <bgp4ou0dsdvo1jfla...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis Dress
<damsel-in...@att.net.invalid> writes:

>"Ken Knott" <javas...@attbi.com> said:
>
>>Anyone have an interesting recipe for Beef Stew. Most I've found are all
>>very simple and minimally spice with typically only salt and pepper.
>>
>>Anyone got something different?
>
>Follow one of the bland recipes, but be sure to use onion, garlic, red
>wine, and thyme. I don't make mine from recipe, so I can't help you out
>that way. But the thyme, especially, makes a world of difference!
>
>Best wishes,
>Carol

And 'shrooms, it ain't beef stew without fungi. And wine, needs wine for soul.

And if yer feeling ambitious, sauerbratten is beef stew.... don't ferget the
ginger snaps.

Sheldon . . . Rocket Scientist
````````````

hahabogus

Sep 13, 2002, 6:51:31 PM9/13/02
Damsel in dis Dress <damsel-in...@att.net.invalid> wrote in

> "Ken Knott" <javas...@attbi.com> said:
>
>>Anyone have an interesting recipe for Beef Stew. Most I've found are all
>>very simple and minimally spice with typically only salt and pepper.
>>
>>Anyone got something different?
>
> Follow one of the bland recipes, but be sure to use onion, garlic, red
> wine, and thyme. I don't make mine from recipe, so I can't help you out
> that way. But the thyme, especially, makes a world of difference!
>
> Best wishes,
> Carol

cumin added is nice too.

Some pearl onions, olives, peeled whole hard boiled eggs, lemon/orange
slices/wedges, or peanut butter added can change a stew's flavour/texture
a lot. Depends on what you're looking for...

--
Defender of the Beet.

ABC

Sep 14, 2002, 1:43:53 AM9/14/02
Hi
Perhaps it is the best way to cook a stew. Veggies. are what make it taste
different with the beef.
Anne

Victor Sack

Sep 14, 2002, 3:04:04 AM9/14/02
Ken Knott <javas...@attbi.com> wrote:

> Anyone have an interesting recipe for beef stew?? I've seen a ton but
> they're all kinda simple with very minimal seasoning like just salt
> and pepper. Anyone got something different and 'complex'?

Here is a very nice recipe I recently posted. It is from _Bistro
Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.

Victor

Daube de Boeuf Auberge de la Madone aux Cèpes et à l'Orange
Auberge de la Madone's Beef Stew with Wild Mushrooms and Orange

4 1/2 pounds (2.25 kg) stewing beef, preferably a combination of beef
round and beef chuck, cut into large pieces (each weighing about
4 ounces; 125 g)
4 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 sprig of fresh parsley
1 celery rib, thickly sliced
3 imported by leaves
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup (6 cl) marc de Provence or Cognac
1 bottle (75 cl) sturdy red wine, such as Côtes-de-Provence
1/4 cup (6 cl) plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
3 whole cloves
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces; 45 g) unsalted butter
1 pound (500 g) fresh wild cèpe mushrooms or cultivated mushrooms
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Grated zest and juice of one orange

1. One day before serving the stew: In a large nonreactive bowl,
combine the meat with the carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, celery, bay
leaves, thyme, marc, red wine, and the 1 tablespoon olive oil. Tie the
peppercorns and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth; add to the bowl and
toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, stirring once or twice.

2. Let the meat and vegetables return to room temperature. With a
slotted spoon, remove the meat from the marinade. Drain well; pat dry
on paper towels. Set the vegetables aside. Transfer the liquid and the
cheesecloth bag to a nonreactive large heatproof casserole. Bring to a
boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
Remove from the heat.

3. In a large skillet, melt the butter in the remaining 1/4 cup (6 cl)
olive oil over high heat. When the foam subsides, add half of the meat.
Sauté, tossing, until browned all over, about 5 minutes. With a slotted
spoon, transfer the meat to the liquid in the casserole. Repeat with
the remaining meat.

4. In the same skillet, sauté the reserved vegetables until browned,
about 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the casserole. Add the
mushrooms to the skillet. Sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes;
set aside.

5. Stir the tomato paste into the casserole. Bring to a simmer over
medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, skimming
occasionally, until the meat is very tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Stir in
salt and pepper to taste, the mushrooms and the orange zest and juice.
Discard the cheesecloth bag of cloves and peppercorns. (The recipe can
be prepared 2 to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before serving.)
Serve with potatoes, rice, or pasta.
Yield: 8 servings

Diane Feder

Sep 15, 2002, 11:03:22 PM9/15/02

"Ken Knott" <javas...@attbi.com> wrote in message
Use any recipe, but substitute beer as the liquid.

Diane