Pot Roast

1 view

John Gaughan

Jul 4, 2003, 12:57:10 AM7/4/03
From the sounds of it, a beef roast and a pot roast are not the same
thing. Keep in mind that professionally I used to be a pizza cook and a
saute cook, and at home or at work I have never done a beef roast or pot
roast ;-)

Anyway, a pot roast is cooked with water, a beef roast without? That
seems to be the concensus, unless I had too many of my magic mushrooms
=) That or all the beer I've had this evening. Anyway, I really don't
care if it is a beef or pot roast.

Here's the deal. I have a roasting pan. I have an oven. I have a beef
round and vegetables. That is it. What I want is tender, juicy meat,
roasted vegetables, and beer. What do I do? I took notes on what
everyone said, but now that I am more specific on what I want, maybe I
can get more specific instructions. Oh, and I have a case of beer, so I
don't need help on that. Unless you want to "help" me drink it :-)

John Gaughan
jo...@johngaughan.net

jen

Jul 4, 2003, 1:09:44 AM7/4/03
In article news:vga297f...@corp.supernews.com on Fri, 04 Jul 2003
04:57:10 GMT, John Gaughan <jo...@johngaughan.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Here's the deal. I have a roasting pan. I have an oven. I have a beef
> round and vegetables. That is it. What I want is tender, juicy meat,
> roasted vegetables, and beer. What do I do? I took notes on what
> everyone said, but now that I am more specific on what I want, maybe I
> can get more specific instructions. Oh, and I have a case of beer, so I
> don't need help on that. Unless you want to "help" me drink it :-)

okay, here's the deal.

i will tell you where to find an incredible pot roast recipe *and* i will
tell you where to find an incredible roast with roasted veggies recipe.

in return, you will channel me while you drink your beer. deal?

good.

here's the pot roast recipe:

<http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/photo?id=106096>

okay, it says it's for short ribs but i have made it with pot roast too.
it's very good.

and here's the roast and veggies recipe:

<http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/photo?id=106316>

it calls for a rib-eye roast so i'm not sure how it would be with a beef
round.

cheers,

jen

--
======
As Canadian as possible under the circumstances.

Jill McQuown

Jul 4, 2003, 1:56:47 AM7/4/03
John Gaughan wrote:
> From the sounds of it, a beef roast and a pot roast are not the same
> thing.
(snip)
> John Gaughan
> jo...@johngaughan.net

Well no, they aren't. One is stewed the other is roasted. However, sounds
like you want pot roast (stewed beef).

You're in luck; that old Virginia cookbook has exactly what you're looking
for. Well, except you probably won't stew this over a fire in the fireplace
hehheh

Take out as much of the bone as can be done with a saw, that it may lie flat
on the dish. Stuff it with forcemeat as before directed. Lay it in a pot
with 2 quarts of water, a pint of red wine, some carrots and turnips cut
into small pieces and stewed over it, a head of celery cut up, a few cloves
of garlic, some pounded cloves, pepper, salt. Stew it gently until
sufficiently done; skim the fat off, thicke the gravy and serve it up.
Garnish with bits of puff nicely baked and scraped horse-radish.

I can't think of a better receipt for pot roast!

Jill

Goomba

Jul 4, 2003, 3:49:51 AM7/4/03
John Gaughan wrote:

> From the sounds of it, a beef roast and a pot roast are not the same
> thing. Keep in mind that professionally I used to be a pizza cook and a
> saute cook, and at home or at work I have never done a beef roast or pot
> roast ;-)

..and we're trusting you with the beloved RFC recipes/website?! I'm
getting a tad bit concerned. Maybe we should have auditioned these
folks, Dams? LOL
Goomba

Jill McQuown

Jul 4, 2003, 3:05:58 AM7/4/03

(laughing) One doesn't have to know how to cook in order to maintain a web
site.

Jill

J Quick

Jul 4, 2003, 3:33:04 AM7/4/03

"jen" <jje...@alumni.uvic.ca> wrote in message

> and here's the roast and veggies recipe:
>
> <http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/photo?id=106316>
>
> it calls for a rib-eye roast so i'm not sure how it would be with a beef
> round.

Rib-eye and beef round are very different kinds of roasts. Interchanging
them is not a recipe for success. A rib-eye is not a pot roast because you
waste any benefit of using a tender cut of meat by overcooking it. Pot
roasts are for tough and/or lean cuts that benefit from long cooking times
with moist heat (and will be well done as a result).

Here's a good pot roast recipe from the same site:

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=20096

Read the reviews for this recipe to get additional tips and suggested
variations.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 4, 2003, 8:58:44 AM7/4/03

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:3z8Na.59176

> Stuff it with forcemeat as before directed. Lay it in a pot
> with 2 quarts of water, a pint of red wine, some carrots and turnips cut

> I can't think of a better receipt for pot roast!
>
> Jill

Yuuuuuck ! ! ! That's not pot roast, that is STEWED meat.

Pot roast may have about a 1/2 cup of water and slowly cooked. It is used
to make the tougher cuts tender and they will make plenty of their own juice
as the collagen breaks down. Use a rump, chuck, or similar cut of meat.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

The Joneses

Jul 4, 2003, 11:15:51 AM7/4/03
John Gaughan wrote:

My best buy was a cast iron dutch oven I found at a garage sale for $5. It
has such a heavy lid that it's *almost* like a pressure cooker. First time,
I'd intended on baking a chuck roast @200F. for 4 hours, but it was
absolutely done and very tender in 2 hours. Threw my whole meal plan off.
While I like complicated flavors from time to time, it may be best to start
out with fewer herbs, etc. and add different stuff from time to time. I
always add a bay leaf (I have a bay tree outside the back door). I wouldn't
add the veggies until the last hour of cooking time. I also pour in 1/2 a
beer for the only liquid. But I never waste the other half!
Edrena

J Quick

Jul 4, 2003, 2:21:49 PM7/4/03

"The Joneses" <famj...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> My best buy was a cast iron dutch oven I found at a garage sale for $5.
It
> has such a heavy lid that it's *almost* like a pressure cooker. First
time,
> I'd intended on baking a chuck roast @200F. for 4 hours, but it was
> absolutely done and very tender in 2 hours. Threw my whole meal plan off.
> While I like complicated flavors from time to time, it may be best to
start
> out with fewer herbs, etc. and add different stuff from time to time. I
> always add a bay leaf (I have a bay tree outside the back door). I
wouldn't
> add the veggies until the last hour of cooking time. I also pour in 1/2 a
> beer for the only liquid. But I never waste the other half!

A real pressure cooker would cut that cooking time to about an hour for pot
roast....not that I discount the benefit of a good cast iron dutch oven of
course. Pressure cookers are perfect for slow cooking, but without the
slowness. (smile)

The Joneses

Jul 5, 2003, 1:00:21 AM7/5/03
J Quick wrote:

> A real pressure cooker would cut that cooking time to about an hour for pot
> roast....not that I discount the benefit of a good cast iron dutch oven of
> course. Pressure cookers are perfect for slow cooking, but without the
> slowness. (smile)

Ah, but slingin' around that 20# dutch oven is so healthy. I could skip the gym
when I put on a roast! (gg)
Edrena

blake murphy

Jul 5, 2003, 6:07:41 PM7/5/03
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:57:10 -0500, John Gaughan
<jo...@johngaughan.net> wrote:

>Here's the deal. I have a roasting pan. I have an oven. I have a beef
>round and vegetables. That is it. What I want is tender, juicy meat,
>roasted vegetables, and beer. What do I do? I took notes on what
>everyone said, but now that I am more specific on what I want, maybe I
>can get more specific instructions. Oh, and I have a case of beer, so I
>don't need help on that. Unless you want to "help" me drink it :-)
>
>John Gaughan

i sometimes promote this:

it makes great top-of-stove pot roast.
8 oz. beer
6 oz. can pineapple juice
1 tb brown sugar
1 tb worcesteshire or kung pao sauce
1 tb teriaki sauce
1 tb lemon j. or (rice) vinegar
1 bay leaf
1-1 1/2 beef brisket (or thick round or chuck)
1/2 -3/4 head green cabbage cut in wedges

combine and heat liquid ingredients. add brown sugar and bay leaf.
when at simmer, add beef and simmer, covered, on very low heat for
about 3 hours, turning every 15 minutes or so. (don't worry if it
smells kinda funky at first- it's the beer.)
(i do not bother to brown the beef, but knock yourself out.)

add cabage wedges during last 15 minutes or so.
the meat should be very tender yet still a little pink inside.
i usually serve it in chunks, shred it on the plate and spoon some of
the gravy over (it will not be thick). i sprinkle some salt and grind
some pepper on the meat, wrap a bite in a cabbage leaf, and go to
town.

this is a very forgiving recipe; as long as you cook it slow and long
you can't really go wrong.

(mostly invented by me)

your pal,
blake