First prime rib roast

biig

Dec 19, 2010, 8:33:55 AM12/19/10
I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast. It's always
been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef pot
roasted. He likes well done. I love rare and med rare. I think I'll put a
s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it marinate. How long would you
recommend? Start high and drop to low? I want to not regret spending the
money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada

Aussie

Dec 19, 2010, 8:52:41 AM12/19/10
"biig" <bi...@mnsi.net> wrote in news:iel1v...@enews5.newsguy.com:

I've got a thermometer that tells me what temp it is, but if you haven't
these should help.......

http://www.themainmeal.com.au/RecipesInspiration/RecipePage?RecipeID=286

**************
Suggested roasting times per 500g for: Rib eye/scotch fillet, rump,
sirloin, fillet/tenderloin, standing rib roast, rolled rib beef roast.
Cook at 200ºC. Rare 15-20 min per 500g, Medium 20-25 min per 500g, Well
done 25-30 min per 500g.

Judging your roast’s degree of doneness using a meat thermometer. The
internal temperature for: Rare – 55-60ºC, Medium rare – 60-65ºC, Medium –
65-70ºC, Medium well – 70-75ºC, Well done – 75ºC.

You can also use tongs to test the roast’s doneness. Gently prod or
squeeze the roast – rare is very soft, medium rare is soft, medium is
springy but soft, medium well is firm and well done is very firm.

Check the temp when the estimated cooking time is a little way from up.
Take larger roasts out of the oven just short of the goal, as the larger
roasts and bone in roasts to tend cook further and go up just a little in
temperature as they rest
******************

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cooking-Instructions-For-Prime-Rib-Roast&id=
50244

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"

ravenlynne

Dec 19, 2010, 8:56:35 AM12/19/10

I read what looks like a good article on cooking rib roast yesterday
(judging by the multitudes of people commenting on how well it worked)
and it said to NOT put salt on the outside because it'll draw the juices
out...don't know, I'm doing rib roast for the first time this year myself.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 19, 2010, 10:01:30 AM12/19/10

"biig" <bi...@mnsi.net> wrote in message
> [...]

I'd put the rub on, but not let it marinate. No need, IMO. for a good cut of
beef. Let the roast stand out for a couple of hours to get to room
temperature.

I like the start high and then low method as it gives you a more done outer
ring and a nice pink center. I like the contrast. My ideal roast comes
out of the oven at 125 and sits for 20 to 30 minutes with a tent of foil.
In your case, hubby will like the outside while you enjoy the less done
inner cuts. You can always put his back in the oven for a few minutes or
even in a hot pan to sear the outside and cook through.

Sqwertz

Dec 19, 2010, 11:20:59 AM12/19/10

3lbs is not a lot to work with. For that small of a roast (big
steak), it's best to sear it in a hot pan, then put it into a 275F
oven until it hist 130-132F inside for a decent med rare all the
way through the meat.

-sw

Wayne Boatwright

Dec 19, 2010, 11:29:51 AM12/19/10
On Sun 19 Dec 2010 06:33:55a, biig told us...

Probably the start high and drop to low will give you both what you
want. The end cuts should be more well done while the center cuts
will be more rare.

Using a constant temperature approach usually produces a more even
degree of doneness end to end, which in this case is not what you
want.

Wayne Boatwright

Steve Pope

Dec 19, 2010, 11:56:33 AM12/19/10
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote:

>"biig" <bi...@mnsi.net> wrote in message

>> I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast. It's

>> always been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef
>> pot roasted. He likes well done. I love rare and med rare. I think I'll
>> put a s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it marinate. How long
>> would you recommend? Start high and drop to low? I want to not regret
>> spending the money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada

>I'd put the rub on, but not let it marinate. No need, IMO. for a good cut of
>beef. Let the roast stand out for a couple of hours to get to room
>temperature.

I agree, a rib roast will not benefit from marinading and it
may be a mistake.

Steve

Nancy Young

Dec 19, 2010, 12:12:19 PM12/19/10
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 19 Dec 2010 06:33:55a, biig told us...
>
>> I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast.
>> It's always
>> been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef
>> pot roasted. He likes well done. I love rare and med rare. I
>> think I'll put a s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it
>> marinate. How long would you recommend? Start high and drop to
>> low? I want to not regret spending the
>> money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada
>
> Probably the start high and drop to low will give you both what you
> want. The end cuts should be more well done while the center cuts
> will be more rare.
>
> Using a constant temperature approach usually produces a more even
> degree of doneness end to end, which in this case is not what you
> want.

Common procedure is to bring the meat to room temperature
before roasting. Also, I like my prime rib salted before roasting,
it gives that outside a great texture as well as flavor. Just my 2 cents.

nancy

Pete C.

Dec 19, 2010, 12:40:28 PM12/19/10

Given that this is a pretty small 3# rib roast, it may be better to not
let it come up to room temp first since if it does there may be no
medium-rare center at all. I think a 3# rib roast is going to be three
ribs at most, so if you're not careful there will only be the center rib
portion that might have some medium-rare and the two end portions will
be medium-well to well done.

On the salt thing, yes, use salt, but put it on right before it goes
into the oven. It will draw some juices out, but in the hot oven they
will rapidly crust over and more-or-less seal the rest in. If you salt
well before roasting it will draw too much moisture out.

Ross@home

Dec 19, 2010, 12:56:23 PM12/19/10

Start low and stay there.
The absolute best method I've found for standing rib roast is the one
described by Tanith Tyrr at http://baygourmet.tripod.com/primerib.html
It's the only method I've used since I discovered it many years ago
and it's been perfect every time.
Use a remote thermometer, pull the roast at 110ºF, let it stand for 10
- 15 minutes then slice, perfect, juicy, rare beef. Put a blindfold on
dh and make him try it without looking at it. If he refuses, nuke his
portion for a few minutes to turn it brown ;-).

Ross.

Steve Pope

Dec 19, 2010, 1:01:22 PM12/19/10
Pete C. <aux3....@snet.net> wrote:

>Given that this is a pretty small 3# rib roast, it may be better to not
>let it come up to room temp first since if it does there may be no
>medium-rare center at all.

Depends what you are looking for. I like a rib roast to be a
uniform rare (or if someone insists) medium-rare all the way
through. By starting at room temp it is possible to do this.
I think the results are always better this way.

Steve

Nancy Young

Dec 19, 2010, 1:02:55 PM12/19/10
Pete C. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Common procedure is to bring the meat to room temperature
>> before roasting. Also, I like my prime rib salted before roasting,
>> it gives that outside a great texture as well as flavor. Just my 2
>> cents.
>
> Given that this is a pretty small 3# rib roast, it may be better to
> not let it come up to room temp first since if it does there may be no
> medium-rare center at all.

I was thinking about that and I have to agree with you.

> On the salt thing, yes, use salt, but put it on right before it goes
> into the oven. It will draw some juices out, but in the hot oven they
> will rapidly crust over and more-or-less seal the rest in. If you salt
> well before roasting it will draw too much moisture out.

Good point.

nancy

Sqwertz

Dec 19, 2010, 1:18:40 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:40:28 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

> I think a 3# rib roast is going to be three ribs at most

A three rib roast would be 6-8 pounds depending on which section of
the primal it came from.

I'm guessing she has a boneless roast about 3-3.5" thick.

-sw

Sqwertz

Dec 19, 2010, 1:27:02 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:56:23 -0500, Ross@home wrote:

> Use a remote thermometer, pull the roast at 110ºF, let it stand for 10
> - 15 minutes then slice, perfect, juicy, rare beef. Put a blindfold on
> dh and make him try it without looking at it. If he refuses, nuke his
> portion for a few minutes to turn it brown ;-).

That would be too rare for most people, in my opinion. When you
cook a roast at a low temp (250F), the rise in temperature when you
take it out of the oven will be significantly less than if you
roasted it at 350F.

110F would be only about 12 degrees higher than eating a... Oh,
never mind :-)

-sw

biig

Dec 19, 2010, 2:20:11 PM12/19/10

<Ross@home> wrote in message

Thanks for all the replies. I'll digest <G> them all and decide what to
do. I've had to put it off until tomorrow...thanks again....Sharon

gloria.p

Dec 19, 2010, 3:54:22 PM12/19/10

I agree with Ed. We had an 8 lb. boneless rib roast yesterday,"choice"
grade, "prime" not available or affordable here, started
at 450 deg. for ~45 minutes, then lowered to 300 until the center
temperature read 120. Removed from the oven and rested about 25 minutes
while the Yorkshire pudding baked, it was perfect. The outer slices
went to the two family members who don't like rare beef, the rest of us
enjoyed a juicy slightly warm pink center with a dark outside edge.

I sprinkled it with sea salt and freshly ground pepper before roasting.
The Yorkshire pud had a hint of garlic, the way our kids like it.

gloria p

Ross@home

Dec 19, 2010, 5:34:52 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:27:02 -0600, Sqwertz <sqw...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>110F would be only about 12 degrees higher than eating.....

Beef Carpaccio? OK.
Shave that beef, get some fresh arugula, shaved Parmesan, EVOO, some
capers, salt and freshly ground pepper and a few lemon wedges.
Nice fresh diagonally sliced French baguette.
Eliminate the middleman. Forget the oven.

Ross.

Cheryl

Dec 19, 2010, 5:41:16 PM12/19/10

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:27:02 -0600, Sqwertz<sqw...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:

>> >That would be too rare for most people, in my opinion. When you
>> >cook a roast at a low temp (250F), the rise in temperature when you
>> >take it out of the oven will be significantly less than if you
>> >roasted it at 350F.
>> >
>> >110F would be only about 12 degrees higher than eating.....

You have to take into account that some thermometers aren't exact. For
example, at my mom's we have to take out the roast at 102F and I'm sure
that is not a correct reading. But you learn to compensate.

Dan Abel

Dec 19, 2010, 6:28:58 PM12/19/10
In article <g61tg69o0glg13sgp...@4ax.com>, Ross@home
wrote:

But if Tanith were here, the first step would be to kill the cow. I
don't remember if she actually butchered a cow in her back yard, but I
know she wanted to. A wagyu.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

dsi1

Dec 19, 2010, 6:32:54 PM12/19/10

I think this method will catch on sooner or later. The next time I do
this I'll probably brown the roast in a smoking hot pan. My guess is
that you can also do this with a propane torch. Maybe they'll make
propane in mesquite flavor just for cooks. :-) Then, after browning,
season with lots of pepper and Hawaiian alae salt, and maybe some
dehydrated garlic.

The cooking for engineers guy advocates roasting at 200 degrees - that's
so nutty it just might work! :-)

> -sw

Christine Dabney

Dec 19, 2010, 6:58:40 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:28:58 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>But if Tanith were here, the first step would be to kill the cow. I
>don't remember if she actually butchered a cow in her back yard, but I
>know she wanted to. A wagyu.

Ahhh..Tanith. I remember her postings. I never met her in person,
but I hear she was extraordinary. Anyone know what happened to her?
She had a favorite meat place in Richmond, CA where she liked to get
her meat. I think I tried to find it once, but it had gone out of
business by the time I got there.

Christine

--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Victor Sack

Dec 19, 2010, 6:59:35 PM12/19/10
biig <bi...@mnsi.net> wrote:

> How long would you
> recommend? Start high and drop to low?

We (general "we") have been there before... See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/52874af7051fafcb>.

Victor

Dan Abel

Dec 19, 2010, 7:06:47 PM12/19/10
In article <ps6tg6p5esb78na0k...@4ax.com>,
Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:28:58 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
>

> >But if Tanith were here, the first step would be to kill the cow. I
> >don't remember if she actually butchered a cow in her back yard, but I
> >know she wanted to. A wagyu.
>
> Ahhh..Tanith. I remember her postings. I never met her in person,

Never met her in person, but she certainly had interesting postings on
this group.

> but I hear she was extraordinary. Anyone know what happened to her?

Last time she was referenced on this group, Google told me she was in
Florida hunting snakes.

BigBadBubba

Dec 19, 2010, 7:59:02 PM12/19/10

"dsi1" <ds...@usenet-news.net> wrote in message

Just be sure that you use "Food Grade" propane.

Message has been deleted

dsi1

Dec 19, 2010, 9:53:01 PM12/19/10
On Dec 19, 2:59 pm, "BigBadBubba" <default@user,usenet.coma> wrote:
> "dsi1" <d...@usenet-news.net> wrote in message

Ha! Only a rank amateur would use hardware store propane! It's
strictly pro level gas for me baby! You probably think I use Astrowax
or some other crap to get that oh so deep shine on my turkey - you
turkey! :-)

Sqwertz

Dec 19, 2010, 11:23:13 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:32:54 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> The cooking for engineers guy advocates roasting at 200 degrees - that's
> so nutty it just might work! :-)

I use 250 for larger roasts, 7+ pounds. It's still med-rare all
the way through with no well-done "rim". 200F is too low for a
large roast due to microbial concerns.

-sw

Sqwertz

Dec 19, 2010, 11:28:56 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:41:16 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

> You have to take into account that some thermometers aren't exact. For
> example, at my mom's we have to take out the roast at 102F and I'm sure
> that is not a correct reading. But you learn to compensate.

<snork>

The average temperature of a cow when it's *alive* is 101.5!

-sw

Sqwertz

Dec 19, 2010, 11:29:48 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:28:58 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> But if Tanith were here, the first step would be to kill the cow. I
> don't remember if she actually butchered a cow in her back yard, but I
> know she wanted to. A wagyu.

I pretty sure she got a half or quarter. But I know it was already
slaughtered and dressed.

-sw

dsi1

Dec 19, 2010, 11:29:59 PM12/19/10

My guess it don't matter much what temperature you start at - you pull
the roast out at the same internal temperature anyway.

pltr...@xhost.org

Dec 19, 2010, 11:29:59 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:40:28 -0600, "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net>
wrote:

>.... I think a 3# rib roast is going to be three
>ribs at most....

Three ribs is usually 6 to 8 lbs.

-- Larry'

pltr...@xhost.org

Dec 19, 2010, 11:31:58 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:32:54 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@usenet-news.net> wrote:

>The cooking for engineers guy advocates roasting at 200 degrees - that's
>so nutty it just might work! :-)

This has been discussed extensively in other threads. I cook mine at
170 until the inside temp. reaches 124 - 126 for perfect medium-rare
pink edge-to-edge. 200 is perfectly acceptable if your oven has not
been proven to hold steady at a lower temperature.

-- Larry

pltr...@xhost.org

Dec 19, 2010, 11:36:39 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:56:23 -0500, Ross@home wrote:

>Start low and stay there.
>The absolute best method I've found for standing rib roast is the one
>described by Tanith Tyrr at http://baygourmet.tripod.com/primerib.html
>It's the only method I've used since I discovered it many years ago
>and it's been perfect every time.
>Use a remote thermometer, pull the roast at 110ºF, let it stand for 10
>- 15 minutes then slice, perfect, juicy, rare beef.

Those temps are about 10 degrees low. At 110, ylou're essentially
eating raw beef.

Additionally, you have to apply judgment depending on the size of the
roast, the cooking temp., and the temp when you pull it from the oven.
A smaller roast or one cooked at a lower temperature will not gain as
much internal temperature during the resting period.

-- Larry

dsi1

Dec 19, 2010, 11:50:49 PM12/19/10

Ha ha you're venturing far into uncharted territories! I hate to break
the news to you but your ideas may be deemed a bit in the crackpot zone.
Not by me, you understand!

I'm thinking that I should just leave the roast out in the hot Hawaiian
sun. If I had my old VW I could probably just leave it in the front seat
for a few hours. This means that even a homeless person may be able to
prepare a delicious dinner for his buddies with only a propane torch and
any old unlocked car. Now that would be a holiday miracle!

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 12:22:04 AM12/20/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:29:59 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 12/19/2010 6:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I use 250 for larger roasts, 7+ pounds. It's still med-rare all
>> the way through with no well-done "rim". 200F is too low for a
>> large roast due to microbial concerns.
>

> My guess it don't matter much what temperature you start at - you pull
> the roast out at the same internal temperature anyway.

The temperature you cook it at defines how evenly cooked it is.

-sw

Terry Pulliam Burd

Dec 20, 2010, 12:50:04 AM12/20/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:58:40 -0800, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> arranged random neurons and said:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:28:58 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
>

>>But if Tanith were here, the first step would be to kill the cow. I
>>don't remember if she actually butchered a cow in her back yard, but I
>>know she wanted to. A wagyu.
>
>Ahhh..Tanith. I remember her postings. I never met her in person,
>but I hear she was extraordinary.

<snip>

I've been on this ng since about 1994 and I don't recall the name.
Something to refresh my memory...?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Christine Dabney

Dec 20, 2010, 12:53:39 AM12/20/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:50:04 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
<ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote:

>I've been on this ng since about 1994 and I don't recall the name.
>Something to refresh my memory...?
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Tanith Tyr? You don't remember Tanith? !!!!

How could one forget Tanith!!

I think almost all of us oldtimers (Tammy, Modom, you, Miche, and I
forget who else) joined in 1994. I think Tanith was posting then or a
year or so later.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Steve B

Dec 20, 2010, 12:52:51 AM12/20/10

"biig" <bi...@mnsi.net> wrote in message
> I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast. It's
> always been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef
> pot roasted. He likes well done. I love rare and med rare. I think I'll
> put a s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it marinate. How long
> would you recommend? Start high and drop to low? I want to not regret
> spending the money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada

My first one, I relied on (GASP!), a meat thermometer!

Imagine that.

It was perfect, and other than the cost, I would do another in a heartbeat.

Thinking of doing the next one in a bullet shaped Brinkman smoker.

My SIL did one with a lobster stuffing.

You wanted to eat all you could, and then go outside and puke and come back
and eat some more.

Those Romans weren't all bad.

Steve

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 2:00:46 AM12/20/10

Did my Cabal subscription run out again?

I remember her from ba.food mostly. Maybe she posted less often in
RFC possibly? I seem to recall she was circa 1997 or so. but I'm
not one of those people who can remember every day of my life
(thankfully! I think I'd go crazy!)

sw

Christine Dabney

Dec 20, 2010, 2:12:27 AM12/20/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 01:00:46 -0600, Sqwertz <sqw...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>Did my Cabal subscription run out again?
>
>I remember her from ba.food mostly. Maybe she posted less often in
>RFC possibly? I seem to recall she was circa 1997 or so. but I'm
>not one of those people who can remember every day of my life
>(thankfully! I think I'd go crazy!)
>
>sw

She posted a lot to RFC too. Were you paying attention then? ;)
I know there were a few cooking events where she showed up. Maybe a
cook-in?

She posted up til about 1998. Then she left suddenly and posted
about her massive garage sale..so to speak. I remember wanting some of
her items, but for some reason I couldn't get the stuff I wanted from
her sale. I wasn't living far from her when she posted..but for some
reason I couldn't get to her sale.

I don't ever remember her posting after that to RFC.

And looking her up on google, I see her last name is Tyrr. I didn't
remember the extra R.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 2:51:19 AM12/20/10
On 12/19/2010 7:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The temperature you cook it at defines how evenly cooked it is.
>
> -sw

This is entirely correct however, simply stating a truth doesn't really
say anything about why one should cook a roast at 250 but not 200 or 170
degrees. Your simple truth would seem to imply the it's better to roast
at a lower temperature to reduce the temperature difference between the
roast's surface and it's center.

You're worried about microbes but I'd feel perfectly safe with a heavily
salted roast set in a 200 degree oven for a few hours.

As it goes, I don't know how low you can go with this - few people have
experience with this slow roasting technique - including me. That said,
my experimentation with this has pretty much convinced me that anything
above 300 degrees is too high if you're aiming for a roast that's medium
rare.

sf

Dec 20, 2010, 4:21:03 AM12/20/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:12:27 -0800, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> And looking her up on google, I see her last name is Tyrr. I didn't
> remember the extra R.

She came to one or two cookins at my house... probably to cookins at
Blacksun 21's place in SF too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf

Dec 20, 2010, 4:28:03 AM12/20/10

Frankly, those people who have "perfect" rare produce a perfectly
AWFUL piece of meat AFAIC. I want my meat charred or at least crusty
brown on the outside and rare on the inside. To get that, there is a
"transition", which I do not disapprove of.

I think that a piece of meat that is rare from the center all the way
to the outside might as well be slathered with tanning lotion and
served with a parasol.

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 6:09:45 AM12/20/10
On 12/19/2010 11:28 PM, sf wrote:
> Frankly, those people who have "perfect" rare produce a perfectly
> AWFUL piece of meat AFAIC. I want my meat charred or at least crusty
> brown on the outside and rare on the inside. To get that, there is a
> "transition", which I do not disapprove of.

Essentially, what we're talking about is that transition area of meat
that is cooked to well done. By adjusting the cooking temperature, we
can increase that zone or reduce it. Roasting at lower temperatures for
a longer time tends to minimizes it. Increasing the roasting temperature
will increase the temperature difference between the surface and the
center of the roast. This means that you might have to overcook the
outside to get a medium rare center.

If you like your roast to be rare in the center and well done on the
surface and the ends, then you pretty much have to cook at a higher
temperature. If you prefer a roast to be uniformly medium rare, but not
rare, you'll have to lower the roasting temperature.

High temperature cooking is what makes fried ice cream and baked Alaska
possible. The same principle applies to roasts.

> I think that a piece of meat that is rare from the center all the way
> to the outside might as well be slathered with tanning lotion and
> served with a parasol.

It's important not to confuse rare with medium rare. Rare is kinda
gross. I always want to avoid that if I can.

ravenlynne

Dec 20, 2010, 9:17:48 AM12/20/10
On 12/19/2010 9:34 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article<iel1v...@enews5.newsguy.com>, "biig"<bi...@mnsi.net>

> wrote:
>
>> I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast. It's always
>> been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef pot
>> roasted. He likes well done. I love rare and med rare. I think I'll put a
>> s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it marinate. How long would you
>> recommend? Start high and drop to low? I want to not regret spending the
>> money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada
>
> Sharon, here's a link to my website with pictures and narrative of last
> year's effort: http://tinyurl.com/2beuaqa
>
> I started hot and reduced. I'll be consulting the time chart in the
> middle of the page for timing -- looks like it will be about 2 hours for
> my 8# hunk o' flesh! This will be the third year I've prepared rib
> roast for Christmas � it was a rip-roaring smashing hit for the
> carnivores in my midst.
>
> I understand your concern about screwing it up�totally! I am not
> accustomed to laying down $50 for one piece of meat and am so not
> interested in screwing it up!!
>
> Good luck with yours!

Well that is a pretty piece of meat!

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?

ravenlynne

Dec 20, 2010, 9:23:45 AM12/20/10
On 12/20/2010 4:28 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:51:19 -1000, dsi1<ds...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2010 7:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> The temperature you cook it at defines how evenly cooked it is.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>
>> This is entirely correct however, simply stating a truth doesn't really
>> say anything about why one should cook a roast at 250 but not 200 or 170
>> degrees. Your simple truth would seem to imply the it's better to roast
>> at a lower temperature to reduce the temperature difference between the
>> roast's surface and it's center.
>>
>> You're worried about microbes but I'd feel perfectly safe with a heavily
>> salted roast set in a 200 degree oven for a few hours.
>>
>> As it goes, I don't know how low you can go with this - few people have
>> experience with this slow roasting technique - including me. That said,
>> my experimentation with this has pretty much convinced me that anything
>> above 300 degrees is too high if you're aiming for a roast that's medium
>> rare.
>
> Frankly, those people who have "perfect" rare produce a perfectly
> AWFUL piece of meat AFAIC. I want my meat charred or at least crusty
> brown on the outside and rare on the inside. To get that, there is a
> "transition", which I do not disapprove of.

That's what I like as well. I have a 5 lb roast. Would I still follow
the same method? high temp to start for 15 min then lower for the
remaining time?

> I think that a piece of meat that is rare from the center all the way
> to the outside might as well be slathered with tanning lotion and
> served with a parasol.

This made me chuckle...

ravenlynne

Dec 20, 2010, 9:26:04 AM12/20/10
On 12/19/2010 11:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> I'm thinking that I should just leave the roast out in the hot Hawaiian
> sun. If I had my old VW I could probably just leave it in the front seat
> for a few hours. This means that even a homeless person may be able to
> prepare a delicious dinner for his buddies with only a propane torch and
> any old unlocked car. Now that would be a holiday miracle!

Ah the image!

Hey, it works for eggs, apparently.

Message has been deleted

Nancy2

Dec 20, 2010, 11:18:15 AM12/20/10
On Dec 19, 7:33 am, "biig" <b...@mnsi.net> wrote:
>    I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast.  It's always
> been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef pot
> roasted.  He likes well done.  I love rare and med rare.  I think I'll put a
> s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it marinate.  How long would you
> recommend?  Start high and drop to low?  I want to not regret spending the
> money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada

FYI, it likely isn't "prime," it's just a rib roast. As to cooking it
- if it's good quality beef, it should be insulted by a marinade.
Plenty of fat (removable) on the top and salt and pepper - that's all
it needs.

N.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 1:05:50 PM12/20/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 01:28:03 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:51:19 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2010 7:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> The temperature you cook it at defines how evenly cooked it is.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>
>> This is entirely correct however, simply stating a truth doesn't really
>> say anything about why one should cook a roast at 250 but not 200 or 170
>> degrees. Your simple truth would seem to imply the it's better to roast
>> at a lower temperature to reduce the temperature difference between the
>> roast's surface and it's center.
>>
>> You're worried about microbes but I'd feel perfectly safe with a heavily
>> salted roast set in a 200 degree oven for a few hours.
>>
>> As it goes, I don't know how low you can go with this - few people have
>> experience with this slow roasting technique - including me. That said,
>> my experimentation with this has pretty much convinced me that anything
>> above 300 degrees is too high if you're aiming for a roast that's medium
>> rare.

250 is my temperature. It far too hard to judge when a roast is
going to be done when you'd cook it at 200F. This doesn't go over
too well if you'd like to serve guests or want to get the inlaws
out of the house ASAP.

Initial microbial concerns aside, the faster you cook it, the
longer any leftovers will last (in the fridge) before the quality
(and safety) degrades.

I find that 250F is the best temperature for a 6+ pound roast when
you take into account all the factors I consider important.

> Frankly, those people who have "perfect" rare produce a perfectly
> AWFUL piece of meat AFAIC. I want my meat charred or at least crusty
> brown on the outside and rare on the inside. To get that, there is a
> "transition", which I do not disapprove of.

Nobody here has debunked or neigh-sayed the fact that you will
either start or finish the roast at a high temperature. That is a
given. It's best to start it high to get the crust (and the
smell!) going the turn the heat down. Nobody in their right mind
would consider *not* putting a Maillard crust on a rib roast.

-sw

Brooklyn1

Dec 20, 2010, 1:06:16 PM12/20/10

That's about right, and no more than two bones... if the butcher
squeaks in three bones yer gettin' royally screwed. A three pound
hunk of rib with bone is really just a good sized steak for two normal
appetites, I'd not call that a roast. A 3 lb hunk of bone-in rib I
might start off pan fried and finish in a medium oven, but more likely
I'd grill that sucker same as I would a 3 lb porterhouse. With a 3 lb
hunk of standing rib by the time one eats around the fat and bone
there is barely 12 ounces of lean for each of two people, not a very
large portion for most beef eaters. When I serve standing rib I allow
2 lbs per person and an extra 2 lbs for each six people, there is
always 1-2 wanting seconds, and if not that means I EFFed up the
roast.

Brooklyn1

Dec 20, 2010, 1:20:48 PM12/20/10

'Zactly... TIAD... there is nothing more disgusting, wasteful, and the
sign of a lousy cook, than any hunk of beef fully rare from stem to
stern and port to larboard... may as well truss it like a teabag and
dunk it in boiling water for two minutes. I don't like coddled eggs
and I like coddled beef even less.

coddle
A cooking method most often used with eggs, though other foods can be
coddled as well. There are special containers with tight-fitting lids
called "egg coddlers" made specifically for this purpose. Coddling is
usually done by placing the food in an individual-size container that
is covered, set in a larger pan of simmering water and placed either
on stovetop or in the oven at very low heat. The gentle warmth of this
water bath slowly cooks the food. Coddling can also be done by gently
lowering the food into water that's come to a boil and removed from
the heat.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 1:37:28 PM12/20/10
On 12/20/2010 4:26 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 11:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> I'm thinking that I should just leave the roast out in the hot Hawaiian
>> sun. If I had my old VW I could probably just leave it in the front seat
>> for a few hours. This means that even a homeless person may be able to
>> prepare a delicious dinner for his buddies with only a propane torch and
>> any old unlocked car. Now that would be a holiday miracle!
>
> Ah the image!
>
> Hey, it works for eggs, apparently.

Lifetime is making a movie called "The Wino and the Roast: A Christmas
Miracle." This movie, I believe, will hit a chord with folks that love a
big hunk of meat.

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 2:33:31 PM12/20/10
On 12/20/2010 8:20 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> 'Zactly... TIAD... there is nothing more disgusting, wasteful, and the
> sign of a lousy cook, than any hunk of beef fully rare from stem to
> stern and port to larboard... may as well truss it like a teabag and
> dunk it in boiling water for two minutes. I don't like coddled eggs
> and I like coddled beef even less.

No doubt you believe with all your heart that cooking at low
temperatures equals a rare roast. This is simply not true.

No need to feel badly about - there's a lot of folks that believe this
too! Maybe if all ya'll wish really, really hard it can come true! That
sure would be wonderful dontchathink?!

Terry Pulliam Burd

Dec 20, 2010, 4:33:48 PM12/20/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:53:39 -0800, Christine Dabney

<arti...@ix.netcom.com> arranged random neurons and said:

Nope. It appears that the particular brain cell that contained her
name has joined the cast of thousands that preceded it.

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 5:31:16 PM12/20/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:33:31 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 12/20/2010 8:20 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> 'Zactly... TIAD... there is nothing more disgusting, wasteful, and the
>> sign of a lousy cook, than any hunk of beef fully rare from stem to
>> stern and port to larboard... may as well truss it like a teabag and
>> dunk it in boiling water for two minutes. I don't like coddled eggs
>> and I like coddled beef even less.
>>

> No doubt you believe with all your heart that cooking at low
> temperatures equals a rare roast. This is simply not true.

I think Cats and sf are working off the assumption that the roast
has no well-done crust. I hope the rest of us are working under the
assumption that there will be a crust applied with high heat.

But under that crust the majority of people want a med-rare hunk of
cow. I don't want any grey past the first 1/4". But I won't stoop
low enough to say that those people have no taste or they have TIAD
(until you consider all their other TIAD posts).

-sw

gloria.p

Dec 20, 2010, 5:57:40 PM12/20/10
dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 6:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:32:54 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> The cooking for engineers guy advocates roasting at 200 degrees - that's
>>> so nutty it just might work! :-)

>> I use 250 for larger roasts, 7+ pounds. It's still med-rare all
>> the way through with no well-done "rim". 200F is too low for a
>> large roast due to microbial concerns.
>>
>> -sw

> My guess it don't matter much what temperature you start at - you pull
> the roast out at the same internal temperature anyway.

The major difference is the texture of the outside edges. Starting at
high temp gives you a crisp, brown outer layer.

gloria p

Goomba

Dec 20, 2010, 5:59:00 PM12/20/10
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Why, thank you, Ma'am. I gave those pictures to the folks in my meat
> department. :-) I'm confident that this year's will be as good; I
> will do it the way I did last year's: hot first, then low. And since
> my mind is going to hell on me, I am SO glad I wrote that piece a year
> ago for my own reference.

I had posted here in the past about finding a forgotten rib roast in the
freezer. I had forgotten what time or temp I had roasted it and your
post nudged me to find the original message here in the archives.
Here are my pics and the cooking method used. I recall it was DELICIOUS.
Perhaps I need to do it again for Christmas....hmmmmm...
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/fd8e46db95d24960/6dc8d099ad7cb6fa?hl=en&q=lost+and+found+roast+group%3Arec.food.cooking+author%3Agoomba38%40comcast.net&lnk=nl&

Yes, your math was correct, Sky.
Now for the reviews- it was FINE!! (Hallelujah!) I spiked it a bit with
slivers of garlic, seasoned it a bit. Started it out at 500 for 15 min,
then down to 250 and then up again to 350 for the last 20 or so minutes.
It was beautiful on the outside, a tad too rare in the center for my
tastes, but for leftovers I think that will work in our favor.
I took pictures :)
The beast before going in the oven- http://i42.tinypic.com/rbb1jk.jpg

I tossed some potatoes and onions in the pan to bake at whatever temp
the roast was going, but then when the roast was done and resting I
spread the potatoes out in the pan while tossing them in some of the
drippings. I knew they'd be delicious because I deliberately didn't make
a lot extra. Murphey's Law here- the better the food turns out, the less
of it there is! http://i44.tinypic.com/osrfqx.jpg

First slice cut off- http://i44.tinypic.com/34oee08.jpg

Husband's dinner plate- http://i43.tinypic.com/2vtr7df.jpg

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 6:03:06 PM12/20/10

Some folks are way too focused on the word "rare." It must have some
sort of mesmerizing effect on them. I have no idea where the rumor
started that folks who cook at a low temperature love their roast
dripping with blood. Where's Wikileaks when you need them?

The major disadvantage with slow roasting is that you have to find some
way to brown the surface of the meat. Being a lazy bastard, I find that
to be a bit of a bother. OTOH, it is a $40 piece of meat. :-)

I went to Costco the other day and saw that the rib roasts were labeled
"prime." What's the scoops on this? I've never seen prime ribs in stores
before. Thanks.

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 6:19:53 PM12/20/10

This is true. Roasting at a low temperature means you have to achieve
this in other ways.

> gloria p

gloria.p

Dec 20, 2010, 6:21:39 PM12/20/10
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <ielreg$vqr$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I agree with Ed. We had an 8 lb. boneless rib roast yesterday,"choice"
>> grade, "prime" not available or affordable here, started
>> at 450 deg. for ~45 minutes, then lowered to 300 until the center
>> temperature read 120.
>
> How do you time that?

I didn't, there was too much going on. By the time I remembered to turn
down the heat 45 min. had elapsed. Daughter then tested at ~15 minute
intervals until the thermometer registered just under 120. It was
perfect for both the medium-rare folk and the two who like it done a bit
more were happy with the two outer slices.

We're having the leftovers tonight--beef, gravy, squash, salad and a new
Yorkshire pudding. As someone we know says "It's good to be me."

One of the best parts is that our family Christmas is over and it was a
very nice one. First set of descendants left for CA this AM, the other
branch leaves for MI on Thursday. I thought I'd feel sad but I don't.
DH and I are going skiing Sat. and Sun.

gloria p

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 6:24:33 PM12/20/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:03:06 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> I went to Costco the other day and saw that the rib roasts were labeled
> "prime." What's the scoops on this? I've never seen prime ribs in stores
> before. Thanks.

My CostCo here has had Prime for 3-4 years. Only the low-end,
third-world grocers *don't* carry USDA Prime beef any more. Prime
is getting more common and the prices have been much lower than the
previous decade. Buy some.

-sw

Message has been deleted

dsi1

Dec 20, 2010, 8:01:35 PM12/20/10

Thanks for the info!

gloria.p

Dec 20, 2010, 9:35:57 PM12/20/10
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <hsivg65v6c3pvsucp...@4ax.com>,

> Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote:

>> Nope. It appears that the particular brain cell that contained her
>> name has joined the cast of thousands that preceded it.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>

> Remember Doreen Randall (?) ? I think she was in Australia. And Ann
> Bourget? And Mimi? And TJ The Short? (I remember Tanith by name
> but not by content of posts.)

I sent Terry exactly that message. It's a very distinctive name and
I remember it. Who was the woman whose sig included the cat graphic?'
And there used to be a very nice woman from Denmark?

I've had online access, beginning at the school where I worked, since
~Feb. 1993 and rfc was one of the first newsgroups I ever read.

gloria p

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 10:27:30 PM12/20/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:35:57 -0700, gloria.p wrote:

> Who was the woman whose sig included the cat graphic?'

Mary. The cat was Pud.

-sw

bolivar

Dec 20, 2010, 10:45:06 PM12/20/10

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

<BIG SNIP>

> Yes. This, IMO, is a great link:
> http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1315/cooking-prime-rib.asp
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

That does look like a great link, thanks, Barb. And have a Merry
Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Boli

bolivar

Dec 20, 2010, 10:57:51 PM12/20/10

> Remember Doreen Randall (?) ? I think she was in Australia. And Ann
> Bourget? And Mimi? And TJ The Short? (I remember Tanith by name
> but not by content of posts.)
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

TJ the short still posts occassionally. Different nick now.

Boli

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 20, 2010, 11:03:22 PM12/20/10

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote

>> I agree with Ed. We had an 8 lb. boneless rib roast yesterday,"choice"
>> grade, "prime" not available or affordable here, started
>> at 450 deg. for ~45 minutes, then lowered to 300 until the center
>> temperature read 120.
>
> How do you time that?

I just allow about two hours. A few years ago our Christmas dinner host let
the roast go too long. Ever since, I'm in charge of saying "done" as I will
be again this year. I'll take my Polder thermometer and just let it go.
There will be eight of us just hanging out kibitzing so when it is done, it
is done. No "we'll eat at 5" to stick to as it is pretty much an all day
affair.

I'm also in charge of bringing the wine.

Sqwertz

Dec 20, 2010, 11:06:37 PM12/20/10

Mary F. I think the F stood for Frye.

-sw

Dan Abel

Dec 20, 2010, 11:56:01 PM12/20/10
In article <4d0fe0fd$0$8818$882e...@usenet-news.net>,
dsi1 <ds...@usenet-news.net> wrote:

> I went to Costco the other day and saw that the rib roasts were labeled
> "prime." What's the scoops on this? I've never seen prime ribs in stores
> before. Thanks.

Costco had USDA Prime last Christmas season. They were a little too
expensive for me, especially since they were Costco size. Costco has
had a pretty good selection of USDA Prime all year, though, mostly
steaks, but some larger cuts.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

sf

Dec 21, 2010, 12:17:07 AM12/21/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:03:22 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
<e...@snetnospam.net> wrote:

> No "we'll eat at 5" to stick to as it is pretty much an all day affair.

I prefer that style of entertaining too. When it's done, it's done
and we'll eat after that.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Dan Abel

Dec 21, 2010, 12:19:42 AM12/21/10
In article <barbschaller-7B8E...@news.iphouse.com>,

Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Remember Doreen Randall (?) ? I think she was in Australia. And Ann
> Bourget? And Mimi? And TJ The Short?

tj the small. tj the tall was her husband. but they split up. she is
still posting here, under the name Blacksalt (or Kalanamak).

> (I remember Tanith by name
> but not by content of posts.)

Meat and truffles, mostly.

dsi1

Dec 21, 2010, 4:57:34 AM12/21/10

I never noticed this because I'm not a big fan of meat and the sizes the
packages come in are way too big. I'd be more interested if the meat was
cheaper but it ain't. OTOH, prime rib this year would be pretty festive
and special so one of these roasts could be in my future. OTOH, at a
cost of $8/lb, I just might chicken out. :-)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

biig

Dec 21, 2010, 9:36:40 AM12/21/10

> In article <ienoid$hjj$3...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> ravenlynne <raven...@somecraphere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2010 9:34 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > Good luck with yours!
>> >

>> Well that is a pretty piece of meat!

> Why, thank you, Ma'am. I gave those pictures to the folks in my meat
> department. :-) I'm confident that this year's will be as good; I
> will do it the way I did last year's: hot first, then low. And since
> my mind is going to hell on me, I am SO glad I wrote that piece a year
> ago for my own reference.
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Thanks for the reference, Barb. My roast turned out great. DH on the
other hand was not the slightest impressed. I gave him thin slices from the
more well done outside, but it "still wasn't pot roast" ...my
interpretation of his reaction...lol One advantage is that I can have all
the leftovers myself. I think I'll gently reheat some in the leftover
gravy....Sharon in Canada

Message has been deleted

Nancy Young

Dec 21, 2010, 9:51:36 AM12/21/10
biig wrote:

> Thanks for the reference, Barb. My roast turned out great.

That's great, I'd hate to think you had a bad experience. I love
rib roast and I think it's way easier to make than something like
a turkey.

> DH on
> the other hand was not the slightest impressed. I gave him thin
> slices from the more well done outside, but it "still wasn't pot
> roast" ...my interpretation of his reaction...lol

(laugh) Oh, well. So long as you liked it.

> One advantage is
> that I can have all the leftovers myself. I think I'll gently reheat
> some in the leftover gravy....

It makes great sandwiches, too. We're having roast pork for
Christmas Eve but I think I'll be picking up a rib roast while they're
so plentiful and good looking.

nancy

Nancy2

Dec 21, 2010, 10:40:44 AM12/21/10
On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> In article <hsivg65v6c3pvsucpc2pqvig5lq626h...@4ax.com>,

>  Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpull...@spambot.net> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:53:39 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > <artis...@ix.netcom.com> arranged random neurons and said:

> > >Tanith Tyr?  You don't remember Tanith?  !!!!
>
> > >How could one forget Tanith!!
>
> > >I think almost all of us oldtimers (Tammy, Modom, you, Miche, and I
> > >forget who else) joined in 1994.  I think Tanith was posting then or a
> > >year or so later.
>
> > Nope. It appears that the particular brain cell that contained her
> > name has joined the cast of thousands that preceded it.
>
> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> Remember Doreen Randall (?) ?  I think she was in Australia.  And Ann
> Bourget?  And Mimi?    And TJ The Short?    (I remember Tanith by name

> but not by content of posts.)
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Tanith was the one who processed a lot of her own meats (especially),
sorta medieval style. I dunno what happened to Anne Bourget.....

N.

Nancy2

Dec 21, 2010, 10:41:25 AM12/21/10
On Dec 20, 8:35 pm, "gloria.p" <gpues...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article <hsivg65v6c3pvsucpc2pqvig5lq626h...@4ax.com>,

> >  Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpull...@spambot.net> wrote:
> >> Nope. It appears that the particular brain cell that contained her
> >> name has joined the cast of thousands that preceded it.
>
> >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> > Remember Doreen Randall (?) ?  I think she was in Australia.  And Ann
> > Bourget?  And Mimi?    And TJ The Short?    (I remember Tanith by name
> > but not by content of posts.)
>
> I sent Terry exactly that message.  It's a very distinctive name and
> I remember it.   Who was the woman whose sig included the cat graphic?'

Mary Frye - still around, I think.

> gloria p

N.

Brooklyn1

Dec 21, 2010, 1:36:32 PM12/21/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:03:22 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
<e...@snetnospam.net> wrote:

The roast needing another 20 minutes is no biggie, for me that just
means time for another 2ni.

Message has been deleted

biig

Dec 21, 2010, 6:41:21 PM12/21/10

"Nancy2" <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote in message

On Dec 19, 7:33 am, "biig" <b...@mnsi.net> wrote:
> I finally caved yesterday and bought a 3 lb prime rib roast. It's always
> been an expense I couldn't justify since dh likes his roast beef pot
> roasted. He likes well done. I love rare and med rare. I think I'll put a
> s and p, garlic and herb rub on it and let it marinate. How long would you
> recommend? Start high and drop to low? I want to not regret spending the
> money...lol....thanks.........Sharon in Canada

FYI, it likely isn't "prime," it's just a rib roast. As to cooking it
- if it's good quality beef, it should be insulted by a marinade.
Plenty of fat (removable) on the top and salt and pepper - that's all
it needs.

N.

The ad said prime rib, but the label said premium rib roast. Whatever it
actually is, it was great. Just salt and pepper and a sprinkle of
granulated garlic (I was out of fresh) and some thyme. I didn't time it,
just used a thermometer....took it out at 135 and let it sit 10 minutes.
Nice and juicy and not quite red. I won't be too nervous to do it
again...maybe next time we have company. To make it up to dh, I'll do a pot
roast for Christmas. We have turkey on Boxing day at our son's so don't do
turkey for Christmas...thanks to all who gave advice....Sharon

Cheryl

Dec 21, 2010, 7:01:46 PM12/21/10
On 12/20/2010 6:09 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> High temperature cooking is what makes fried ice cream and baked Alaska
> possible. The same principle applies to roasts.

I think you're right.

> It's important not to confuse rare with medium rare. Rare is kinda
> gross. I always want to avoid that if I can.

Not gross at all to me! I like it rare and warmed through, but not cold.

Cheryl

Dec 21, 2010, 7:06:28 PM12/21/10
On 12/20/2010 1:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> coddle
> A cooking method most often used with eggs, though other foods can be
> coddled as well. There are special containers with tight-fitting lids
> called "egg coddlers" made specifically for this purpose.

coddle
to treat tenderly; nurse or tend indulgently; pamper: to coddle children
when they're sick.

Sort of like what some here do to you so you don't go all psycho on them.

Message has been deleted

Terry Pulliam Burd

Dec 21, 2010, 11:22:54 PM12/21/10
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:24:29 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> arranged random neurons and said:

>Remember Doreen Randall (?) ? I think she was in Australia. And Ann
>Bourget? And Mimi? And TJ The Short? (I remember Tanith by name
>but not by content of posts.)

Yes to all the above, but I still cannot recall Tanith. Oh, well.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Bob Terwilliger

Dec 22, 2010, 10:32:51 AM12/22/10
Gloria wrote:

>> My guess it don't matter much what temperature you start at - you pull
>> the roast out at the same internal temperature anyway.
>
> The major difference is the texture of the outside edges. Starting at
> high temp gives you a crisp, brown outer layer.

Cooking at a low temperature and then searing just before serving also gives
you a crisp, brown outer layer -- and when you bring it to the table, it's
SIZZLING.

Bob

biig

Dec 22, 2010, 10:57:10 AM12/22/10

> In article <ieqe1...@enews6.newsguy.com>, "biig" <bi...@mnsi.net>

> wrote:
>> Thanks for the reference, Barb. My roast turned out great. DH on the
>> other hand was not the slightest impressed. I gave him thin slices from
>> the
>> more well done outside, but it "still wasn't pot roast" ...my
>> interpretation of his reaction...lol One advantage is that I can have
>> all
>> the leftovers myself. I think I'll gently reheat some in the leftover
>> gravy....Sharon in Canada
>
> Slice it thin and toss it in a hot skillet for about 5 seconds - great
> steak and eggs breakfast!!
>
> Yeay! Glad it worked out for you.

> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Thanks...I was well pleased....Sharon

sf

Dec 22, 2010, 11:56:28 AM12/22/10

That involves another step and possibly another pan. You don't let
the meat rest? It won't be sizzling after 30-60 seconds.

Bob Terwilliger

Dec 22, 2010, 12:35:48 PM12/22/10
sf wrote:

>> Cooking at a low temperature and then searing just before serving also
>> gives you a crisp, brown outer layer -- and when you bring it to the
>> table, it's SIZZLING.
>
> That involves another step and possibly another pan. You don't let the
> meat rest? It won't be sizzling after 30-60 seconds.

The meat is seared just before serving. When you cook at a low temperature,
there's not much resting needed. I sear with a propane torch, so there's no
other pan needed. As to involving another step, that's wrong: I skipped the
step of searing before cooking, so the number of steps is exactly the same.

Bob

sf

Dec 22, 2010, 2:50:00 PM12/22/10

I don't sear before cooking either. Wasted step. I don't even own a
blowtorch - another unnecessary gadget.

Brooklyn1

Dec 22, 2010, 4:48:35 PM12/22/10

Some crank up the oven temperature just before removing the roast like
how they put on their shoes before their socks, but normal folks start
the roast at a high searing setting and crank it down after like 15
minutes... this gives more contol over ultimate doneness, much less
chance over overcooking... that's how meat is seared by people who
actually cook instead how fiction writers pound out fercocktah
keyboard kookery.

pltr...@xhost.org

Dec 22, 2010, 8:28:18 PM12/22/10
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:35:48 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

>... I sear with a propane torch, so there's no
>other pan needed...

Unless you have an industrial strength set-up with a nozzle at least
six inches wide, that must take quite a while to do. (A couple of
creme brulees is bad enough. 8;) )

Plus doesn't the odorant from the propane leave an unpleasant smell in
your house? Or do you do your searing outdoors?

-- Larry

dsi1

Dec 22, 2010, 8:54:33 PM12/22/10

I consider myself a regular guy but you're making me look like a big
sissy! :-)

Dan Abel

Dec 22, 2010, 10:26:04 PM12/22/10
In article <1895h6llijpan3rjt...@4ax.com>,
pltr...@xhost.org wrote:

> Plus doesn't the odorant from the propane leave an unpleasant smell in
> your house? Or do you do your searing outdoors?

It's the same odorant that's in the propane or natural gas, if you have
a gas stove. I'm pretty sure that the odorant only smells if the gas
hasn't been burned. It's pretty easy to test using a top burner on a
gas stove.

It is loading more messages.