Truffles - chocolate

Ellen Sudia

Aug 28, 1992, 9:15:40 AM8/28/92
Does anyone have truffle recipes that they would like to share?
Thanks in advance.

Lady Dragon

Aug 29, 1992, 7:44:29 AM8/29/92
el...@hela.iti.org (Ellen Sudia) writes:

> Does anyone have truffle recipes that they would like to share?
> Thanks in advance.

------------- Recipe Extracted from Meal-Master (tm) v6.31 ------------------

Title: White Chocolate Truffles
Categories: Desserts
Servings: 24

8 oz white chocolate
48 ea good walnut|pecan halves
6 T unsalted butter, room temp.
1 1/2 T water
1 ea large egg yolk

Preheat oven to 300F. Set aside a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
Chop the white chocolate into small pieces and set aside.
Toast the nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer for 5 to 8 minutes.
Set them aside.
In the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling water, melt the white
chocolate and the butter in the water. Stir until smooth.
A NOTE on Melting White Chocolate: Since the fats in white chocolates melt
at different temperatures, and since the milk proteins tend to clump if
overheated, melting white chocolate can be very frustrating. I've found
that the easiest method is to chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt
them in the microwave. Microwave at high power for 1 minute, then stir.
If necessary, continue the process for additional 30-second intervals until
completely melted. Microwave only until smooth; DO NOT OVERHEAT!!!
Pour into a bowl and add the yolk. Continue beating until the mixture is
fluffy and cooled to room temperature. Chill until firm (about 4 hours).
Remove from refrigerator and form into 24 1-inch balls. Sandwich between
2 nut halves. Chill until ready to serve.
Makes 24 truffles.
Source: "Madam Chocolate's Book of Divine Indulgences" by Elaine Sherman

------------- Recipe Extracted from Meal-Master (tm) v6.31 ------------------

Title: Easy Truffles
Categories: Candies
Servings: 64

8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate
1/3 c Milk
1/3 c Unsalted butter
2 ea Egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/4 t Vanilla extract
1 x Unsweetened cocoa

In saucepan, melt chocolate with milk and butter over low heat, stirring
until smooth. Remove from heat.
Stir 1/4 cup hot mixture into egg yolks, the whisk yolks into chocolate
mixture in saucepan. Add vanilla; beat well. Pour into small bowl; cover
and refrigerate until firm. (You can store in refrigerator for up to 2
days at this point.)
Form teaspoonfuls into balls; roll in cocoa and shake off excess.
Makes 1 pound (about 2 dozen). About 75 calories each.
For gift-giving: use a glass jar with lid or candy dish covered with
plastic wrap. Store covered in refrigerator for 3 weeks and in freezer for
up to 2 months.

* * email address: nuchat!xcluud!glnserv!kati * Houston, Texas, USA, Earth * *

Alison MacLellan

Aug 31, 1992, 9:16:46 AM8/31/92
In article <1992Aug28.1...@iti.org> el...@hela.iti.org (Ellen Sudia) writes:
>Does anyone have truffle recipes that they would like to share?
>Thanks in advance.

Here's a few truffles recipes from the book Chocolate Truffles by Carrie
Huber. I have lots more if anyone is interested but I've already spent
lots of time typing these in and figure I have to find a breaking point
somewhere.

The Basic Chocolate Truffle

8 oz dark sweet chocolate
1 c. heavy cream, room temperature

Chocolate Coating

16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Making the Ganache

To prepare ganache, chop or grate chocolate into small
pieces. Place in top half of double boiler along with cream.
Put hot (not boiling) water in bottom half of a double
boiler, making sure the water doesn't touch the top pan.
Stir often with wooden spoon. When all of the chocolate has
melted, beat until well combined. Remove from heat,
let cool to room temperature. Transfer to covered bowl and
refrigerate overnight to harden. (Ganache will keep in this
state for a few days if necessary.)

Take a little ganache at a time and form 1" balls, using
fingertips (with as little contact as possible so the chocolate
doesn't soften). Keep unused portion refrigerated as you
work. Place balls on waxed paper-lined baking sheet; continue
until ganache is used up. Refrigerate baking sheet
until ganache is hardened, overnight or up to two days.
Allow to set in refrigerator at least two hours before
loosely covering with waxed paper. *

*Foil can be substituted in all cases for waxed paper, but
never use clear plastic wrap. It clings too tightly to the
candies and traps moisture inside which discolors the
chocolate.

Prepare Chocolate Coating:

Chop or grate chocolate into small pieces. Heat
chocolate and oil together in top of double boiler over hot water,
stirring until smooth with a wooden spoon. Inssert candy
thermometer and begin dipping the ganache balls when
temperature registers between 85-90F. If chocolate
begins to cool and thicken before you're finished dipping,
reheat over hot water. Work with only 1/2 dozen at a time,
keeping the rest refrigerated. Drop a single ganche ball
into the chocolate, turning to coat well, then lift it with the
fork. Allow excess chocolate to drip back into pan, then
gently rap fork against edge of pan to remove more chocolate
from ball. Failure to do this will cause a large dribbly
"platform" or "skirt" to form around the base of each
hardened truffle. (this makes it difficult to pack them side
by side in a box.)

There are two schools of thoughts as to the proper
method of depositing truffles onto the baking sheet: A) If
you are conservative by nature it's best to gently slide them
off the fork with a butterknife, onto the waiting baking
sheet. B) If you intend to further decorate the truffle, the
second method, (for the showoffs among us) involves dropping
the truffle off the fork upside down directly onto the
baking sheet. Quickly manipulate the single strand of
chocolate, adhering to the fork, into some glorious shap
atop the candy, like the pros do. Either way is acceptable,
although the second way requires some practice and an
accurate thermometer to get it right. If your chocolate
temperature is off by a few degrees, you're likely to find a
chocolate highway - not a chocolate strand - adhering to
the fork when that critical moment comes.

The perfect finale for the basic recipes, for instance,
is a sprinkling of shaved dark chocolate over the top, or
better yet, gently rolling each newly-dipped truffle in the
shavings to coat completely.

Refrigerate all truffles after dipping several hours or
overnight to harden.

Variations of Basic Truffle

Bavarian Mint Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
3/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 Tablespoons Creme De Menthe

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
green sprinkles for garnish

When chocolate and cream ganache have cooled to room
temperature, stir in Creme de Menthe before refrigerating.
Sprinkle dipped truffles with green sprinkles.

Cream Sherry Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
2/3 c. heavy cream
2 Tablespoons Bristol Cream Sherry
Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
2 cups chocolate shavings.

When chocolate and cream ganache have cooled to room
temperature, stir in sherry before refrigerating.
Roll dipped truffle in chocolate shavings.

Dark Rum Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
2/3 c. heavy cream
2 1/2 Tablespoons dark rum
1/4 teaspoon lime juice

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
slivered lime peel

When chocolate and cream ganache have cooled to room
temperature, add rum and lime juice before refrigerating.
Top dipped truffles with slivers of lime peel.

Bourbon Pecan Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
3/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 Tablespoons bourbon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
1 cup whole pecans

When ganache has cooled to room temperature, fold in
bourbon and chopped pecans before refrigerating.
Top dipped truffle with a whole pecan.

Amaretto Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
3/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 Tablesppons Amaretto

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
2 cups chopped almonds

When ganache has cooled to room temperature, add Amaretto.
Roll dipped truffle in chopped almonds

Kahlua Cream Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
3/4 c. heavy cream
2 Tablespoons Kahlua

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
1 Cup Chocolate coffee beans

When ganache has cooled to room temperature, add Kahlua
before refrigerating.
Top dipped truffle with a chocolate coffee bean.

Irish Cream Truffles

Ganache
8 oz dark sweet chocolate
3/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 cup Irish Cream Liqueur

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
2 cups chocolate sprinkles

When ganache has cooled to room temperature, add Irish
cream before refrigerating.
Roll dipped truffle in chocolate sprinkles

Grand Marnier Truffles

Ganache
9 oz dark sweet chocolate
1 c. heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sweet butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons Grand Marnier

Dipping
16 oz. white chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
candied orange peel

Melt chocolate, cream and butter together. When cool,
add Grand Marnier before refrigerating.
Top dipped truffle with candied orange peel.

Pistachio Truffles

Ganache
9 oz semisweet chocolate
1 c. heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sweet butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons Pistacha Pistachio Liqueur

Dipping
16 oz. white chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
1 cup chopped pistachios

Melt chocolate, cream and butter together. When cool,
add Pistachio Liqueur before refrigerating.
Top dipped truffle with sprinkled chopped nuts.

This is not a variation from the basic truffle, but it is very
similar.

Chocolate Chip Truffles
Three layers of deep dark chocolate

Ganache
9 oz semisweet chocolate
1 c. heavy cream, room temperature
3 oz dark sweet chocolate, chopped into small chunks
1 Tablespoon Sabra Orange-chocolate liqueur

Dipping
16 oz. dark sweet chocolate
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Garnish
1 cup dark chocolate shavings.

Prepare ganache by chopping or grating semisweet chocolate
into msall pieces. Place in top half of double boiler along
with cream. Put hot (not boiling) water in bottom of double
boiler, taking care that water doesn't touch top half. Stir
with a wooden spoon. When melted, beat vigorously until
smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

When ganache is at room temperature, add Sabra Liqueur and
dark chocolate chunks, stirring until thoroughly blened.
Transfer to covered bowl and refrigerate overnight to harden.

Take a little ganache at a time and form 1" balls, using
fingertips (with as little contact as possible so the chocolate
doesn't soften). Keep unused portion refrigerated as you
work. Place balls on waxed paper-lined baking sheet; continue
until ganache is used up. Refrigerate baking sheet
until ganache is hardened, overnight or up to two days.
Allow to set in refrigerator at least two hours before
loosely covering with waxed paper.

Dipping

Prepare chocolate coating with 16 ounces dark sweet
chocolate and 1/4 cup vegetable oil.Chop or grate chocolate
into small pieces. Heat chocolate and oil together in
top of double boiler over hot water, stirring with a wooden
spoon until smooth. Insert candy thermometer and begin
dipping the ganache balls when temperature registers between
85-90F. If chocolate begins to cool and thicken before
you're finished dipping, reheat over hot water.

Work with 1/2 dozen ganache balls at a time, keeping the
rest refrigerated. Drop ganache into the chocolate, turning
until completely covered. Lift with fork, letting excess drain
off, then gently rap fork against rim of pan to remove more
chocolate. Gently slide tuffle off of fork (using a butterknife)
onto waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining
truffles.

Garnish

Garnish truffle by sprinkling dark chocolate shavings over
top. Repeat with remaining truffles. Refrigerate truffles
overnight or until firm. Allow to set in refrigerator at least 2
hours before loosely covering with waxed paper.

Makes approximately 40.

Tables of Contents of this book. (excluding those provided)

Tropical Truffles
Brandied Raisin
Brandied Peach
Sherried Raspeberry
Rum 'N Eggnog
Black Raspberry Buttercream
Double Hazelnut
Cognac Walnut
Champage Buttercream
Orange Buttercream
Chocolate with Amaretto Apricots
Swiss Chocolate Cherry
Cranberry Buttercream
Peanut Butter Meltaway
Almond Chocolate
Lemon Chocolate Cheesecake
Strawberry Cheesecake
Black and White
Bittersweet Mocha
Banana Cream
Pumpkin Pecan
Lemon Truffles
Chestnut Buttercream
--
Alison | Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty.
MacLellan | Margaret Cho's opinion on temperature & racism.

Mary Malmros

Aug 31, 1992, 1:38:13 PM8/31/92

In article <1992Aug31....@meaddata.com> ali...@meaddata.com (Alison MacLellan) writes:

[truffle recipes deleted]

These sound like they are probably fairly easy to make. The addition
of the vegetable oil to the coating chocolate will do that...it has
the effect of reducing the melting point of the coating chocolate, so
it says liquid at a lower temperature and dipping is not so difficult.

HOWever...if you are in the mood for something challenging, check
out the book "Sweet Seductions". This teaches you how to temper
chocolate for dipping without using any additives. It's a lot more
difficult this way, but personally I prefer the end result. Most
folks won't notice the difference, however, since it's not common
to find dipped chocolates that have been made without additives.
Mary Malmros | Cayman Systems Inc, 26 Landsdowne St, Cambridge, MA 02139
ma...@cayman.com | Phone 617-494-1999 Fax 617-494-5167 AppleLink CAYMAN.TECH

Vicki Domansky

Sep 1, 1992, 2:35:32 AM9/1/92
In article <1992Aug28.1...@iti.org> el...@hela.iti.org (Ellen Sudia) writes:
>Does anyone have truffle recipes that they would like to share?
>Thanks in advance.

I have quite a few truffle recipes, as a matter of fact. Luckily I
usually make the truffles to sell at craft fairs, or I'd be the size
of an elephant ;-)

This batch is from a 1898 issue of Better Homes & Gardens Creative
Ideas magazine, "Holiday Cooking".

----
Title: Exqisite Almond Truffles

The most popular truffle I have ever made :-)

Ingredients:

16 ounces white baking pieces with cocoa butter
1/4 cup whipping cream and 1/4 cup of cream of coconut
OR
1/3 cup whipping cream and 3 tablespoons butter (I use this one)
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
2 tablespoons amaretto (I find vanilla extract is better)
18 ounces (3 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces
3 tablespoons shortening
4 ounces white baking pieces with cocoa butter
2 tablespoons shortening

Heat and stir 16 ounces of white baking pieces, cream and cream of
coconut or cream and butter just till melted. Remove from heat. Stir
in almonds and amarette (or vanilla extract). Transfer to 8x8x2inch
baking pan; cover. Freeze 2 hours or until firm. Cut filling into 48
portions; shape each portion into a ball. Place on baking sheet.
Freeze 15 minutes.

Melt chocolate using tempered method below. Using a fork, dip balls
one at a time into chocolate; place on waxed-paper-lined baking sheet.
Melt 4 ounces white baking pieces and 1 tablespoon shortening over hot
water. Spoon over candies. Makes 48.

----
Title: Tempered Melting

Note: chocolate melted this way does not need to be stored in the
refrigerator.

In a 4-cup glass measure, combine one 12-ounce package chocolate
pieces (2 cups) and 3 tablespoons shortening. In large glass bowl
pour very warm tap water to depth of 1 inch. Place
container with chocolate inside large bowl. (Water should cover
bottom half of container with chocolate). Stir chocolate constantly
with rubber spatula until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
This takes about 20 minutes; don't rush (believe it - your chocolate
will get sugar bloom white streaks if you rush). If water cools,
remove container with chocolate. Discard cool water; add very warm
wate. Return container with chocolate to bowl with water.

NOTE: Even a drop of water in melted chocolate will cause it to
seize, or become stiff. If this happens, stir in a little vegetable
shortening, 1 teaspoon at a time, and continue heating and stirring
until chocolate is smooth again.

-----
Title: Truffles

A very good basic recipe that can be modified to your own taste.

6 squares (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup margarine or butter
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1 beaten egg yolk
3 tablespoons desired liqueur
(I have used Frangelico, Grand Marnier, Baileys, Cointreau as well
as different flavours of extract)
Cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles, coconut or ground nuts

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine chocolate, margarine and cream.
Cook and stir over low heat till chocolate melts. Gradually stir half
the hot mixture into egg yolk. Return to saucepan. Cook and stir
over medium heat till mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from
heat. Stir in liqueur or exract. Transfer mixture to small bowl.
Cover and chill until completely cool and smooth, stirring
occasionally (about 1-1/2 hours).

Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until slightly fluffy (about
2 minutes). Chill till mixture holds its shape (10 to 15 minutes).
Drop by wel-rounded teaspoons onto baking sheet lined with waxed
paper. Chill till firm (30 minutes). Gently shape into balls. Roll
in desired coating. Store, covered, in cool, dry place. Makes 32
pieces.

Vicki Domansky <Morgaine> ed...@unixg.ubc.ca
Education Computing Services v_dom...@mtsg.ubc.ca
U of B.C. Vancouver Canada user...@ubcmtsg.bitnet

leila belhadjali

Sep 1, 1992, 3:09:01 PM9/1/92

i have make a few batches of truffles, that have worked out rather
well taste-wise. my problem is their un-uniform shape and size.
someone told me, or i read somewhere, that there is such a thing
as a truffle scooper: it's about the size of the things used to
make melon balls, but it has one of those release mechanisms.

does anyone know where i can buy on in the seattle area, or mail
order one?!

thanks!

leila.

--
------*------*------*------*------*------*------*------*------*------*------*--
lbel...@zia.aoc.nrao.edu | socorro... it should be on another planet,

Mary Shafer

Sep 1, 1992, 4:18:46 PM9/1/92
On Tue, 1 Sep 92 19:09:01 GMT, lbel...@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (leila belhadjali) said:

leila> i have make a few batches of truffles, that have worked out rather
leila> well taste-wise. my problem is their un-uniform shape and size.
leila> someone told me, or i read somewhere, that there is such a thing
leila> as a truffle scooper: it's about the size of the things used to
leila> make melon balls, but it has one of those release mechanisms.

leila> does anyone know where i can buy on in the seattle area, or mail
leila> order one?!

Mail order from Maid of Scandinavia. US except MN 800-328-6722,
MN 800-851-1121, Twin Cities look in the phone book.

--
Mary Shafer DoD #0362 KotFR NASA Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA
sha...@rigel.dfrf.nasa.gov Of course I don't speak for NASA