LC-REC - Stuffed Pepperoncini

Damsel in dis Dress

Feb 6, 2005, 4:40:14 AM2/6/05
* Exported from MasterCook *

Stuffed Pepperoncini

Recipe By :Nancy Young
Serving Size : 28 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

3 slices bacon -- finely chopped
1/4 cup shallots -- minced
1/3 cup red pepper -- minced
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2 teaspoons milk
20 ounces pepperoncini peppers -- drained

1. In nonstick 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat,
stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned. With slotted spoon,
transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon
bacon drippings.
2. In drippings in skillet, cook shallots and red pepper over medium
heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat.
3. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese and milk
until smooth. Add bacon and shallot mixture and beat until just
combined. Spoon cream cheese mixture into heavy-weight plastic bag with
corner cut to make a 1/4-inch opening.
4. With small knife, cut a slit lengthwise in each pepper, being careful
not to cut all the way through the peppers. Squeeze cream cheese mixture
into peppers; cover and refrigerate up to one day.
5. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving to bring them up
to room temperature.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"Good Housekeeping"
Copyright:
"December 1997"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 22 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (52% calories from fat);
trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 4mg Cholesterol; 22mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

MaryL

Feb 6, 2005, 9:40:52 AM2/6/05

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message

I have never heard of pepperoncini (but there are lots of veggies -- and
some fruit -- that I need to learn more about). Are these hot or mild
peppers? Large or small?

Thanks,
MaryL

kilikini

Feb 6, 2005, 10:46:38 AM2/6/05

I think Anaheim chilies are supposed to be less intense, but you can use
jalepeno too. We do these with sausage, cream cheese and bacon wrapped
around the top and smoked.on our WSM. OR you can broil or roast them. If
you're not afraid of a little heat they turn out right good. You can
literally stuff them with anything however; crab salad, chicken salad - just
make sure that you cover the top of the pepper with something before you
roast or it will all get overdone and the pepper will wither. We do bacon
over the top of the carved out pepper because it adds moisture and smokey
flavor.

kili

The Ranger

Feb 6, 2005, 11:27:46 AM2/6/05
[borrowing Kilikini's post because MaryL's never showed up]
> MaryL wrote after Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@mailblocks.com> posted:
> >> Stuffed Pepperoncini
[snip recipe]

> > I have never heard of pepperoncini (but there are lots of
> > veggies -- and some fruit -- that I need to learn more about).
> > Are these hot or mild peppers? Large or small?

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/pepperoncini.htm
http://images.google.com/images?q=pepperoncini%2C%20&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=
wi

I'd bet you've tried them just are blanking on the image. <G>

They're the small, pickled peppers you put on sandwiches, or restaurants
add to salads to "spice" things up. Mild vinegar and milder heat make
them appealing to many people. Dan Abel once posted a link to a food
company that specializes in pickling peppers but I couldn't find it.

The Ranger
==
"It often amazes me at the complexity a simply-worded e-mail can convey
to so many different people. And yet, so many people willingly complain
that e-mail is an imperfect tool for communicating those same simple
ideals."

Damsel in dis Dress

Feb 6, 2005, 2:53:29 PM2/6/05
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:40:52 -0600, "MaryL"
<carst...@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>I have never heard of pepperoncini (but there are lots of veggies -- and
>some fruit -- that I need to learn more about). Are these hot or mild
>peppers? Large or small?

They're generally in the same area as olives and pickles. They come in a
jar, and they're a fairly light green and are about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in
length (this is based on memory, so don't quote me on that). They're very
mild (or I wouldn't be eating them). They're excellent on the Italian beef
I posted earlier.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Feb 6, 2005, 3:02:30 PM2/6/05
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:46:38 GMT, "kilikini"
<kili...@NOSPAMtampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>I think Anaheim chilies are supposed to be less intense, but you can use
>jalepeno too. We do these with sausage, cream cheese and bacon wrapped
>around the top and smoked.on our WSM. OR you can broil or roast them. If
>you're not afraid of a little heat they turn out right good. You can
>literally stuff them with anything however; crab salad, chicken salad - just
>make sure that you cover the top of the pepper with something before you
>roast or it will all get overdone and the pepper will wither. We do bacon
>over the top of the carved out pepper because it adds moisture and smokey
>flavor.

Pepperoncini are pickled peppers. They're very mild, and you taste more
vinegar than anything else.

Carol

Becca

Feb 7, 2005, 1:15:05 PM2/7/05