What Did Santa Bring You?

maxine in ri

Dec 30, 2008, 2:02:39 PM12/30/08
No Dacor oven. No Sub zero fridge. DH gave me "Bakewise" which I've
already used twice to explain to folks why something does or doesn't
work, and found out why

A friend got a 50 pound bag of onions for $5, and ditto a box of
bananas. I gave 2 hands of nanners to my SIL, who made 2 banana
breads, and ended up with none to take home. I did remember Barb's
caramelized onions in the crockpot, so set the dozen or so onions
(after some judicious paring of icky spots) to simmering.

Some of the friends I visited gave us a garlic braid of their very
yummy stiff-neck garlic.

PROBLEM: The damned braid keeps shedding all over my kitchen if I
just look at it, much less touch it. Can I just hack off the braidy
part and store the 3 dozen heads of garlic in a cool dark place? It
won't be as pretty, but it'll sure taste good!

We also stopped at a couple of bookstores, and found several
interesting oddments on the used shelves, a Madhur Jeffry book of
Eastern Vegetarian recipes, and a reprint of an 1846 kosher
cookbook....

Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
computer. Stinking creep!

DH says he'll pick it up tonight, since they're all but a stone's
throw from us.

maxine in ri

Dimitri

Dec 30, 2008, 2:03:05 PM12/30/08

"maxine in ri" <wee...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The new Disney Resort Cook Book,

:-)

Dimitri

Lin

Dec 30, 2008, 2:21:27 PM12/30/08
maxine in ri wrote:

> We also stopped at a couple of bookstores, and found several
> interesting oddments on the used shelves, a Madhur Jeffry book of
> Eastern Vegetarian recipes, and a reprint of an 1846 kosher
> cookbook....

Nice book score!

Bob has an Amazon wish list. This year two of his siblings must have hit
the "check-out" button at the same time. He now has two copies of "Asian
Flavors of Jean-Georges." Very nice book -- the photography is amazing
and the recipes are easy to follow.

We have an extra book to "re-gift." ;-)

He also received the Michael Ruhlman book "Charcuterie" that Christine
has raved over.

Since I went back to Oklahoma to see my family for Christmas (THAT's
expensive enough) and Bob flew out for Christmas Eve, I asked him not to
buy me anything this year. We did play Dirty Santa with the family and
came away with a new digital blender and a deep fryer. We put a limit on
gift purchases of $20-$25 dollars. Watching for sales you can get some
pretty awesome purchases in that price range. Coming from a big family,
this takes a lot of the purchasing stress off members that can't afford
to buy for everyone and then we have more time to relax, eat, and
celebrate the time we have with each other. We buy for all the kids in
our immediate households, whose numbers are thinning as we age, and
thats about it.

We will have to wait to play with the new deep fryer and blender since
my sister will have to ship them to us. I didn't bring extra bags big
enough to haul them.

There is talk that next year's Dirty Santa must be gifts that were from
Infomercials or "As Seen on T.V." Billy Mays, here we come! ;-)

--Lin (Hmmm, ShamWow or Magic Bullet Blender?)

Dave Smith

Dec 30, 2008, 2:39:25 PM12/30/08
maxine in ri wrote:

Santa brought me a nice big fine mesh sieve and a rolling pin.
Apparently Mrs. Clause thought my old rolling pin was old.

A neighbour gave us a gift basic that contained two cookbooks. One is
"Cooking for Two". It contains recipes for three different starters, 5
entrees and four desserts. The other was "International Cusine: Beef
Pork Lamb" that has maybe one or two recipes worth trying. Some of the
"international" recipes are things like Thai Pockets. I don't think I
will get much use out of it. However, there were other interesting items
in the basket, like a a variety of olives, some herb and spice mixes to
add to olive oil for dipping bread, and some lobster pate.

> Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
> just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
> computer. Stinking creep!

Maybe he used to work for Canada Post. There were several occasions
years ago when I saw the mailman walk by the window, heard the mail box
open and close, went to the box and found a similar notice.... knocked
and there was no one home, so I had to pick it up at the post office. I
went over to the post office and the packages weren't there. Apparently,
they had to be returned from the drop boxes, and I can't figure out why
they bother to send them out to the drop boxes when the letter carriers
don't even try to deliver them.

One one of those occasions, I went to the post office to get the parcel
and was informed that my parcel would be at the post office in the
adjacent city. Go figger.

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 3:23:53 PM12/30/08

A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg

I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
the new year.
--

modom

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 3:24:55 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:21:27 -0800, Lin <grafixb...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>He also received the Michael Ruhlman book "Charcuterie" that Christine
>has raved over.

That book is wonderful.
--

modom

Dave Bugg

Dec 30, 2008, 3:26:53 PM12/30/08
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>
> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
> the new year.

Nice, modom, very nice.

--
Dave

Omelet

Dec 30, 2008, 3:33:40 PM12/30/08
In article <kgu6l.4074$jZ1...@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com>,
"Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> > Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
> > just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
> > computer. Stinking creep!
> >
> > DH says he'll pick it up tonight, since they're all but a stone's
> > throw from us.
> >
> > maxine in ri
>
> The new Disney Resort Cook Book,
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

My requested copy of Batman "The Dark Knight".

Other than the Iron Man t-shirt I bought myself and some of Sis's baked
goods, that was my only Christmas gift.

And that's ok! I have too much stuff and need to have a large Yard
sale. <g>

I'm starting to dread the holidaze and pray for gifts that can get used
up!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Lin

Dec 30, 2008, 3:37:55 PM12/30/08
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>
> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
> the new year.

You must have been a very good boy! Santa left the lumps of coal under
your smoker! ;-)

--Lin (the one time when getting coal for Christmas is a good thing!)

Omelet

Dec 30, 2008, 3:59:47 PM12/30/08
In article <8n0ll45qlnn5mnde4...@4ax.com>,

"modom (palindrome guy)" <use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>
> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
> the new year.
> --
>
> modom

Very cool.

JonquilJan

Dec 30, 2008, 4:36:01 PM12/30/08
Only food items were a box of water crackers (they went ok in soup) and a
can (aerosol) of cheese topping (the cat liked it on some of the water
crackers).

And -- from a group of friends - a box of Gertrude Hawk chocolates. The
same friends also gave me a St Johns Bay fleece jacket.

I did appreciate the cash and gift cards I received -- but for someone to
actually spend the time and energy to go out and get me something special
means so very much.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Sheldon

Dec 30, 2008, 5:15:13 PM12/30/08
Message has been deleted

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 30, 2008, 5:57:42 PM12/30/08
In article
<4db4c748-39db-4ae9...@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,

maxine in ri <wee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> breads, and ended up with none to take home. I did remember Barb's
> caramelized onions in the crockpot, so set the dozen or so onions
> (after some judicious paring of icky spots) to simmering.

Boy, I don't like the word 'simmering' in there, but I'm afraid there's
too much truth in it. Seems like some onions are *wa-a-ay* wetter than
others and if you leave the lid ajar to allow for evaporation, the house
reeks to high heaven of onion. Some can abide that, many cannot.

> PROBLEM: The damned braid keeps shedding all over my kitchen if I
> just look at it, much less touch it.

Well, quit lookin' at it, fercryin'outloud!! LOL!

> Can I just hack off the braidy part and store the 3 dozen heads of
> garlic in a cool dark place? It won't be as pretty, but it'll sure
> taste good!

I'm sure you can, but I don't know if cool and dark encourage sprouting
or not. Be aware of that possible side effect.

> Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
> just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
> computer. Stinking creep!

Indeed! Same guy, or his brother, did nearly the same with Beck's new
'puter ã left it at the wrong address!!!

> DH says he'll pick it up tonight, since they're all but a stone's
> throw from us.
>
> maxine in ri

Have fun with your new 'chine.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>

Nancy Young

Dec 30, 2008, 6:08:38 PM12/30/08
Sheldon wrote:

> I got a Lalique green glass frog to add to my collection and a warm
> piece of clothing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8ejanm

Oh, I love Lalique. There's a quail I have coveted for years
and years, but I'm too cheap to buy it.

> http://tinyurl.com/9tay4b

Nice jacket.

nancy

Dave Bugg

Dec 30, 2008, 7:00:24 PM12/30/08
Sheldon wrote:

> snip........ and a warm
> piece of clothing:

> http://tinyurl.com/9tay4b

Dang, Sheldon, I got the same Carhartt hoodie. I love the thing!

Chris Marksberry

Dec 30, 2008, 7:02:51 PM12/30/08
Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So he
bought me a spice rack.

http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz

Jeff and Shella thought they had ordered a gift from the LobsterGram people.
Well... there was some confusion between about the ordering and neither of
them actually ordered anything. We received a call on December 24th asking
if we had received our lobsters and had to say "what lobsters?"

Other food related items... lots of fruit... more fruit from Harry & David
along with cheese, sausage, etc. Ron & Melissa gave us salad/dessert plates
that match our everyday China and were badly needed. Dick received a bottle
of E & J Brandy.

Stepson John gave us a gift certificate to Chili's. His heart was in the
right place though!

Chris

Janet Bostwick

Dec 30, 2008, 7:27:06 PM12/30/08
maxine in ri wrote:
> No Dacor oven. No Sub zero fridge. DH gave me "Bakewise" which I've
> already used twice to explain to folks why something does or doesn't
> work, and found out why
>
> snip gifts
> maxine in ri
A bottle of raspberry sauce for ice cream, a jar of prickly pear cactus
jelly, an apron decorated with chili peppers, and a DVD recorder so that I
can copy all of my tapes of 50's SciFi to disc. Oh, and a really neat
calendar made by my grandson's class. Instead of the regular readin',
writin' and 'rithmetic, his school studies by project. Last semester was
based on growing things -- starting with the soil on up to the fruits of
their labor. The calendar is a series of drawings executed by 4th and 5th
graders of the produce that they grew. The art is amazing and is
accompanied by a photo of the item with a little theme alongside describing
growth and so forth. Really neat and a real keeper.
P.S. My grandson's drawings got the outside front and back cover (chest
jutting with pride!!!)
Janet

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 30, 2008, 7:31:00 PM12/30/08
I got that _Better Homes and Gardens 9x13, The Pan That Can_ cookbook,
which I know will get used a lot!

Also, _Martha Stewart's Cooking School_.

I'm waiting on Jacques Pépin's _More Fast Food My Way_. They
originally shipped the wrong book. I can't wait to check that one
out!

I gave Crash a smoothy blender and a smoothy cookbook. Actually,
there were a lot of cookbooks given to a lot of people.

It was a quiet, nice Christmas.

Carol

Sheldon

Dec 30, 2008, 7:35:55 PM12/30/08
On Dec 30, 6:08�pm, "Nancy Young" <rjynly...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > I got a Lalique green glass frog to add to my collection and a warm
> > piece of clothing:
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/8ejanm
>
> Oh, I love Lalique. �There's a quail I have coveted for years
> and years, but I'm too cheap to buy it.

Treat yourself... or drop hints like I did. I't's not easy to buy me
stuff, I have everything because whenever I want/need something I just
buy it becaue if I wait for anyone to get it for me I will probably
never get it.

> >http://tinyurl.com/9tay4b
>
> Nice jacket.

Carhartt is very nice well made clothing... most of my wardrobe is
Carhartt.

val189

Dec 30, 2008, 7:36:44 PM12/30/08

A relative sent a check. Not hard to store, nothing to mis-fit or
return, not clutter causing. Will go toward some new sunglasses. I'm
also debating about a blender stick.

Sheldon

Dec 30, 2008, 7:42:27 PM12/30/08
"Dave Bugg" wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > snip........ and a warm
> > piece of clothing:
> >http://tinyurl.com/9tay4b
>
> Dang, Sheldon, I got the same Carhartt hoodie. I love the thing!

I got the Navy one... actually I don't have it yet, it's on back
order. But I have two of their heavy weight unlined hoodies (red and
brown), during winter I live in them. And Carhartt has the best tee
shirts, I have dozens.

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 30, 2008, 7:42:54 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:23:53 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

>A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>
>I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>the new year.

It's beautiful. The Crashman is SO jealous!!!

(Hey, why don't I ever see you on the IRC anymore?)

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 30, 2008, 7:50:02 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:02:51 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
<rmark...@comcast.NoSpam.net> wrote:

>Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So he
>bought me a spice rack.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz

Wow! That is NICE!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.

Goomba

Dec 30, 2008, 8:08:06 PM12/30/08
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:02:51 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> <rmark...@comcast.NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
>> Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So he
>> bought me a spice rack.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz
>
> Wow! That is NICE!
>
> Carol

Feh. Too gimmicky and takes up too much counter space for what little
storage it offers. IMO, of course!
Goomba

Janet Wilder

Dec 30, 2008, 8:15:19 PM12/30/08
maxine in ri wrote:
> No Dacor oven. No Sub zero fridge. DH gave me "Bakewise" which I've
> already used twice to explain to folks why something does or doesn't
> work, and found out why
>
> A friend got a 50 pound bag of onions for $5, and ditto a box of
> bananas. I gave 2 hands of nanners to my SIL, who made 2 banana
> breads, and ended up with none to take home. I did remember Barb's
> caramelized onions in the crockpot, so set the dozen or so onions
> (after some judicious paring of icky spots) to simmering.

I usually get a 50# bag of 1015 onions when they show up in the farm
market. We grow them here in way-the-heck-south Texas and they are huge
and sweet. I can't get it for $5, though. More like $15.

Caramelized onions is one of the things I do with them. Haven't thought
of using the slow cooker. Hmm...

I got a new toaster oven. It's also convection. It's a Cuisinart with
lots of temperature settings. I love it!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Sheldon

Dec 30, 2008, 8:15:08 PM12/30/08
Goomba wrote:

> "Chris Marksberry" wrote:
>
> >> Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So he
> >> bought me a spice rack.
>
> >>http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz
>

> Feh. Too gimmicky and takes up too much counter space for what little
> storage it offers. IMO, of course!
> Goomba

$60 for a few tiny jars... that schmutz collecting monstrosity isn't
even worth $6... that's the kind of gift you regift, to someone you
don't like.

Becca

Dec 30, 2008, 8:16:44 PM12/30/08

Fruit was popular this year. My brother sent me a big fruit tower from
Harry & David. Their Royal Riviera Pears were delicious, the best pears
I have ever had. There is nothing left but the nuts and the salmon. :p

Becca

Janet Wilder

Dec 30, 2008, 8:18:11 PM12/30/08
Lin wrote:

> There is talk that next year's Dirty Santa must be gifts that were from
> Infomercials or "As Seen on T.V." Billy Mays, here we come! ;-)
>
> --Lin (Hmmm, ShamWow or Magic Bullet Blender?)

I vote for the ShamWow. I've been using it as a towel when I bathe the
puppy. It really is quite good.

Arri London

Dec 30, 2008, 8:30:00 PM12/30/08

maxine in ri wrote:

> No Dacor oven. No Sub zero fridge. DH gave me "Bakewise" which I've
> already used twice to explain to folks why something does or doesn't
> work, and found out why
>
> A friend got a 50 pound bag of onions for $5, and ditto a box of
> bananas. I gave 2 hands of nanners to my SIL, who made 2 banana
> breads, and ended up with none to take home. I did remember Barb's
> caramelized onions in the crockpot, so set the dozen or so onions
> (after some judicious paring of icky spots) to simmering.
>

> Some of the friends I visited gave us a garlic braid of their very
> yummy stiff-neck garlic.
>

> PROBLEM: The damned braid keeps shedding all over my kitchen if I

> just look at it, much less touch it. Can I just hack off the braidy

> part and store the 3 dozen heads of garlic in a cool dark place? It
> won't be as pretty, but it'll sure taste good!
>

> We also stopped at a couple of bookstores, and found several
> interesting oddments on the used shelves, a Madhur Jeffry book of
> Eastern Vegetarian recipes, and a reprint of an 1846 kosher
> cookbook....
>

> Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
> just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
> computer. Stinking creep!
>

> DH says he'll pick it up tonight, since they're all but a stone's
> throw from us.
>
> maxine in ri

Some selections of Williams-Sonoma cookbooks from 'The Kitchen Library',
for my mother. We bought ourselves a two-volume set of 'Bon Appetit'
cookbooks from the big box place: 'The Bon Appetit Cookbook' and 'The
Fresh and Easy Cookbook'. The set came with a free subscription to Bon
Appetit. We'd already bought a small set of 'Green Pans' before
Christmas. Not bad but the exterior coating already has slight scratches
on it; nonstick interior is fine.

Will head to Barnes and Noble to get something after Christmas, since no
one got me their gift certificate this year :( They sent the W-S
cookbooks for my mother instead LOL.

Janet Wilder

Dec 30, 2008, 8:19:29 PM12/30/08
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>
> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
> the new year.

You are so lucky! It looks like a real beauty. Was it custom built?

sf

Dec 30, 2008, 8:22:32 PM12/30/08
wrote:

>(Hmmm, ShamWow or Magic Bullet Blender?)

I noticed that you can buy Magic Bullet at Macy's. Watch those sales!

Mae West

tintalle

Dec 30, 2008, 8:35:33 PM12/30/08

I was apparantly on the "nice" list this year :) Hubby got me the
stainless steel topped kitchen island/cart thingie that i wanted for
our new house. Since he bought it and put it together the week before
xmas it's been in heavy use ever since. Last night it was the "chili
bar" when my family came to visit. I would have been lost without the
extra counter space and storage! I also got a stocking full of Lindt
chocolates (i love the white ones, odd since i don't normally like
white "chocolate"). Otherwise we just got a ton of things for the
house: shelves, a shark vacuum, a wetjet (yes, mom thinks i need to
clean floors more it seems), custom framed pics to hang in the living
room, and some cute little LED light twig thingies to put out on the
walkway.

sf

Dec 30, 2008, 8:41:32 PM12/30/08
<use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

>A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>
>I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>the new year.

Why are they called "pits" when they're based on barrel bbqs made from
a real oil drum? My BIL used to make something like this (it wasn't
portable) for his backyard cooking.
http://pork-barrel.com/images/smoker.jpg

Chemiker

Dec 30, 2008, 8:56:22 PM12/30/08
wrote:

>maxine in ri wrote:
>

>--Lin (Hmmm, ShamWow or Magic Bullet Blender?)

Try that ShamWow on a wet golden retriever who just came in out
of the rain! That alone is worth the price!

As it turns out, I was truly blessed by the luck of the Slovaks!

At a local thrift shop I scored a Calphalon roasting pan, copper (!)
lined with S/S, for 20 USD. 16" x 12". It's lighter than my Cuisinart
copperware, but, hey, it might as well be a gift horse. It needs
polishing..... This buy challenges my discovery of a LeCreuset
cocotte, in the proper shade of blue, with a small chip on the
edge of the lid. It about 5 qt, in the round Dutch Oven Style,
and it had no price sticker..... (that smell: opportunity)

Took same to checkout register, and the poor young lady
was overwhelmed with holiday customers. I told her that,
if she couldn't find a price on that item, I'd offer her $50.

Later she said that, indeed, she could not price it properly
but would sell it to me anyway. She then rang up $15.00 (!)
plus sales tax. I left quickly, with my prize. SR is about $200
on that piece. I did penance, of a kind... Thank you, Lord!

Sis regifted a piece of LeCreuset to me. A paella pan, in
the usual enameled cast iron, with non-stick lining. 14"
diameter. OK, so it's *yellow*. I can live with it.

BTW: Am sending a GrandDaughter (at that crazy age
when she is definitely focusing on at least 2200
different things, of which only one bothers me. More
sexy than sensible...) a Williams-Sonoma copper
skillet, nominally 7-8 inch.

What would be good recipes for a kid to start on
if she wanted to get into cooking? I'd like *not*
to frighten her off with super complex dishes,
and a Slow-Cooker is not out of the question.
There are 5 in her family.

TIA

Alex

koko

Dec 30, 2008, 9:01:30 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:02:51 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
<rmark...@comcast.NoSpam.net> wrote:

>Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So he
>bought me a spice rack.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz

snippage.

Dang, I dropped a few bucks at Dillards this weekend. Love that store.
koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30

Dave Bugg

Dec 30, 2008, 9:05:33 PM12/30/08
sf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:23:53 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> <use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
>>
>> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>
>> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs
>> for the new year.
>
> Why are they called "pits" when they're based on barrel bbqs made from
> a real oil drum? My BIL used to make something like this (it wasn't
> portable) for his backyard cooking.
> http://pork-barrel.com/images/smoker.jpg

Because anything which is used to cook barbecue is a derivation of the first
real pit.... an open hole in the ground to hold the burned down coals with a
framework above to hold the meat. The cookers are meant to mimic what an
in-ground pit will do. A barrel converted to cook bbq is an above-ground
pit.

Dave Bugg

Dec 30, 2008, 9:07:28 PM12/30/08

Yup, the navy is the color I got. Carhartt really stands up to the abuse of
manual labor..... or active relaxation :-)

Chris Marksberry

Dec 30, 2008, 9:32:34 PM12/30/08

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message >

>>Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So
>>he
>>bought me a spice rack.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz
>>
> snippage.
>
> Dang, I dropped a few bucks at Dillards this weekend. Love that store.
> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 12/30

Koko,

I've been meaning to thank you for a post you sent several days ago.
Unfortunately I can't locate it at the moment. It was to remember that
there is a real person behind the keyboard sending a message (except for
spams of course) and being nasty is really uncalled for if you decide to
respond to the message.

Chris

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 9:48:46 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:42:54 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<carol-56...@charter.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:23:53 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
><use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
>
>>A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>
>>I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>>the new year.
>
>It's beautiful. The Crashman is SO jealous!!!

Thanks, New Years I'm going to do a side of ribs if you care to drop
by.

>(Hey, why don't I ever see you on the IRC anymore?)

I'll drop by soon.
--

modom

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 9:53:07 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:19:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>

>> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>
>> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>> the new year.
>
>You are so lucky! It looks like a real beauty. Was it custom built?

Sorta custom built. There's a "Gasoline Alley"-type welding shop over
in the county seat that makes them on spec when business is slow. When
I picked mine out, they had the four-foot ones and the three-foot
ones. I got the smaller of the two. The dimension in question is the
width of the cooking chamber.
--

modom

Bob Terwilliger

Dec 30, 2008, 9:57:22 PM12/30/08
maxine wrote:

> Madhur Jeffry book of Eastern Vegetarian recipes

Is it this one?

www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffreys-World-Vegetarian-Cooking/dp/0394748670

If so, it's got some very interesting stuff, including directions for making
your own soymilk and tofu. My favorite recipe from that book is black-eyed
pea pancakes. If I didn't have to work that night, I'd be making them on New
Year's Day.

Bob

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 10:04:13 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:41:32 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:23:53 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
><use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
>>
>>A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>
>>I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>>the new year.
>
>Why are they called "pits" when they're based on barrel bbqs made from
>a real oil drum? My BIL used to make something like this (it wasn't
>portable) for his backyard cooking.
>http://pork-barrel.com/images/smoker.jpg

That one's got a license plate and tail lights on it, not to mention a
counter weight for the lid. Mine's less massive.

They're called pits because you cook barbecue in a pit and they're
made for cooking barbecue. It's a Texas tautology with sauce on the
side.
--

modom

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 10:07:06 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:05:33 -0800, "Dave Bugg" <dave...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:23:53 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
>> <use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>>
>>> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs
>>> for the new year.
>>
>> Why are they called "pits" when they're based on barrel bbqs made from
>> a real oil drum? My BIL used to make something like this (it wasn't
>> portable) for his backyard cooking.
>> http://pork-barrel.com/images/smoker.jpg
>
>Because anything which is used to cook barbecue is a derivation of the first
>real pit.... an open hole in the ground to hold the burned down coals with a
>framework above to hold the meat. The cookers are meant to mimic what an
>in-ground pit will do. A barrel converted to cook bbq is an above-ground
>pit.

Kinda like a portable hole:
http://flickr.com/photos/23879054@N00/2691101530
--

modom

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 30, 2008, 10:15:58 PM12/30/08

Mind sharing the recipe sometime?
--

modom

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 30, 2008, 10:18:45 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:48:46 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:42:54 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
><carol-56...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:23:53 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
>><use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
>>
>>>A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>>
>>>I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>>>the new year.
>>
>>It's beautiful. The Crashman is SO jealous!!!
>>
>Thanks, New Years I'm going to do a side of ribs if you care to drop
>by.

Are you anywhere near Interstate 35?

Gloria P

Dec 30, 2008, 10:27:51 PM12/30/08
Becca wrote:

> Fruit was popular this year. My brother sent me a big fruit tower from
> Harry & David. Their Royal Riviera Pears were delicious, the best pears
> I have ever had.

They really are nice, but the price is off-putting.
I believe they are actually Comice variety which are
not usually found in the supermarket. Our new Sunflower
market had them for a few days before Christmas and they
were outstanding.

gloria p

Bob Terwilliger

Dec 30, 2008, 10:34:40 PM12/30/08
modom wrote:

>> www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffreys-World-Vegetarian-Cooking/dp/0394748670

>> My favorite recipe from that book is black-eyed pea pancakes.
>>

> Mind sharing the recipe sometime?

I'm at work right now, but the recipe is easy enough to paraphrase:

Soak dried black-eyed peas for several hours to loosen the skins. Put them
into a clean dishtowel and rub gently to remove the skins. Put skinned peas
into a food processor and add chopped cilantro, a bit of turmeric, and some
chile-garlic sauce. Process until mostly smooth.

Heat a bit of oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Put a big
spoonful of the bean stuff into the pan and then use the back of the spoon
in a spiraling-out motion to spread it into a kind of pancake. Cook until
the bottom of the pancake turns reddish, then flip [1] and cook the other
side.

Serve with yogurt or your condiment of choice.

I'll try to remember to post the actual recipe sometime tomorrow.

NOTE: [1] If you flip by tossing the pancake into the air (as I do), be
careful not to put too much oil into the pan, or the very-hot oil with
assume a rather different trajectory than the pancake, and end up on your
hand and wrist.

Bob

Gloria P

Dec 30, 2008, 10:35:30 PM12/30/08
Janet Wilder wrote:
> Lin wrote:
>
>> There is talk that next year's Dirty Santa must be gifts that were
>> from Infomercials or "As Seen on T.V." Billy Mays, here we come! ;-)
>>
>> --Lin (Hmmm, ShamWow or Magic Bullet Blender?)
>
> I vote for the ShamWow. I've been using it as a towel when I bathe the
> puppy. It really is quite good.

I was in a local Bed, Bath & Beyond over the weekend and they had a
whole area of "As Seen on TV" stuff.

I also saw a website recently where all those products were evaluated
and most of them were in the junk/iueless category.

gloria p

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 30, 2008, 10:38:26 PM12/30/08
In article
<4db4c748-39db-4ae9...@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
maxine in ri <wee...@gmail.com> asked what Santa brought.

I went in with Santa on a Keurig coffee brewing unit, the B-60 Special
Edition of Koko's recommendation. The Tucson Santa gave us a Breville
carousel to contain the K cups of coffee. Purists are probably tossing
their beans but I don't care; we like it and it serves a particular need
for us.

"Mom's Cheap Kitchen Toy of 2008", given to Chris and Jamie, was a
Ziploc Vacuum Bag Sealer gizmo thingy. I'm liking it a lot and gave one
to each of them ­ last year they received the Reynolds battery operated
vacuum gizmo. I like this one more. One of them, nameless here, made a
remark about the Ziploc pump resembling something akin to a "personal
implement." Wonder what that was about.

We had a fine Christmas, Maxine. While the rest of us were in church
praying for their sorry souls and celebrating the birth of Christ, Jamie
and Rob were busy in my kitchen getting dinner ready for the table. I'd
done most of the prep work and they did a fine job browning the
potatoes, and heating the red cabbage and the tourtieres. I'm thinking
we sat to table within about 20 minutes of returning from church.

On Friday, Chris and I made a strike on Penzeys. He did them proud,
with most of his buy destined to season pork chops whether that was the
blend's stated best purpose or no. :-)

Yesterday an alt.binaries.food gift exchange netted me some delicious
banana bread, pecans, datil pepper products (I think one of them
qualifies as paint stripper), cane syrup, and a book, Cross Creek
Cookery.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
fences;
now let the winter winds blow."
God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
anyone
I've ever known.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Dec 30, 2008, 10:56:44 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:03:05 -0800, "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>The new Disney Resort Cook Book,

My son, who has a perverse sense of humor, bought me a small
ceramic/pottery mug of a fellow's head with a very large proboscis.
The expression on his face makes one think he has a cold.

<drum roll> It's an egg separator.

It's his father's side of the gene pool, I assure you ;-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Christine Dabney

Dec 30, 2008, 11:01:01 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:38:26 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Yesterday an alt.binaries.food gift exchange netted me some delicious
>banana bread, pecans, datil pepper products (I think one of them
>qualifies as paint stripper), cane syrup, and a book, Cross Creek
>Cookery.

Oh, that is a wonderful classic cookbook!! A pure delight to read.

If you ever make ice cream, make the mango ice cream. And the Black
Bottom Pie.

I forget all the wonderful things that book has. Maybe it is time for
me to get the book down and read it again.

Christine

koko

Dec 30, 2008, 11:03:45 PM12/30/08

I don't know what post you are talking about but I'm happy to be
thanked an you're welcome. :-)

sf

Dec 30, 2008, 11:09:18 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:35:30 -0700, Gloria P <gpue...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I was in a local Bed, Bath & Beyond over the weekend and they had a
>whole area of "As Seen on TV" stuff.

I noticed that area in my local BBB too. Didn't stop to peruse it
though.

sf

Dec 30, 2008, 11:13:32 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:04:13 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

>They're called pits because you cook barbecue in a pit and they're
>made for cooking barbecue. It's a Texas tautology with sauce on the
>side.

BIL is from Alabama. Maybe that's why I haven't heard it called a
pit. :)

Christine Dabney

Dec 30, 2008, 11:21:50 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:13:32 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:04:13 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
><use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
>
>>They're called pits because you cook barbecue in a pit and they're
>>made for cooking barbecue. It's a Texas tautology with sauce on the
>>side.
>
>BIL is from Alabama. Maybe that's why I haven't heard it called a
>pit. :)

They are called pits all over barbecue land. ;)

Christine

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 30, 2008, 11:35:11 PM12/30/08
In article <0hrll4523fsauhkbj...@4ax.com>,
Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:38:26 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >qualifies as paint stripper), cane syrup, and a book, Cross Creek
> >Cookery.
>
> Oh, that is a wonderful classic cookbook!! A pure delight to read.
>

> Christine

Well, there are certainly some, uh, "interesting" sounding recipes. :-)

sf

Dec 30, 2008, 11:52:10 PM12/30/08

Maybe he didn't get the memo.

Cindy Fuller

Dec 30, 2008, 11:56:05 PM12/30/08
In article
<4db4c748-39db-4ae9...@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
maxine in ri <wee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No Dacor oven. No Sub zero fridge. DH gave me "Bakewise" which I've
> already used twice to explain to folks why something does or doesn't
> work, and found out why

Bakewise is awesome. I made the "Land of Milk and Honey Whole Wheat
Bread" on Christmas.

My sister got me a new teapot. Unlike my other teapots, the spout
doesn't dribble. It went to the office, along with the "Chairman Meow"
mug that SO got me.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Skanky RMG

Dec 31, 2008, 12:54:48 AM12/31/08
On Dec 31, 12:08 pm, Goomba <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:02:51 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"

> > <rmarksbe...@comcast.NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >> Dick is doing his best (although probably futile) to get me organized. So he
> >> bought me a spice rack.
>
> >>http://tinyurl.com/99u5pz
>
> > Wow!  That is NICE!
>
> > Carol
>
> Feh. Too gimmicky and takes up too much counter space for what little
> storage it offers. IMO, of course!
> Goomba

-

blake murphy

Dec 31, 2008, 11:18:59 AM12/31/08

there were a few good reviews and many, many bad ones of this product here:

<http://www.infomercialratings.com/product/shamwow_reviews>

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Dec 31, 2008, 11:26:50 AM12/31/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:15:13 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:

> maxine in ri wrote:
>>
> I got a Lalique green glass frog to add to my collection and a warm
> piece of clothing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8ejanm
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Lalique-Frog-Green-Sitting-Rainette-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ260333648744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260333648744&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

looks pretty gay to me, sheldon. i fear you're slipping over to the Dark
Side.

blake

cybercat

Dec 31, 2008, 12:02:26 PM12/31/08

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Excellent place for the cocksucking obsessed, too.

sf

Dec 31, 2008, 12:54:59 PM12/31/08
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:18:59 GMT, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

>there were a few good reviews and many, many bad ones of this product here:
>
><http://www.infomercialratings.com/product/shamwow_reviews>

It seems like most of the people (some got them as a present and I
didn't bother to read every single post) who had negative things about
ShamWow say they've bought them at a flea market. I wonder if what
they bought are the "fakes" those commercials warn against? We have
fake everything else... just look at our spamware - so why not fake
ShamWow?

Kathleen

Dec 31, 2008, 1:02:25 PM12/31/08
No foodie stuff this year. I got a new pair of dark blue jeans that
promptly turned my underwear blue, even after being washed and dried,
when I got caught in a downpour, a pretty black tunic, some dichroic
glass pendants, a new Terry Pratchett book - "Making Money" and three
rolls of swedish pattern paper.

Ophelia

Dec 31, 2008, 1:25:09 PM12/31/08

He is now Sir Terry Pratchett. He is so sweet. He says it will be very
strange, living with a Lady:)

maxine in ri

Dec 31, 2008, 1:33:38 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 6:15 pm, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>
> I got a Lalique green glass frog to add to my collection and a warm
> piece of clothing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8ejanm
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Lalique-Frog-Green-Sitting-Rainette-New-in-Box_W0...

That is a beautiful shade if green.

> http://tinyurl.com/9tay4b
>
> http://www.contractorsclothing.com/cart/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=J149&SR...

Same one my stepson wears. Warm as toast.

maxine in ri

maxine in ri

Dec 31, 2008, 1:40:06 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 6:57 pm, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <4db4c748-39db-4ae9-ad59-18389f56a...@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
>  maxine in ri <weed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > breads, and ended up with none to take home.  I did remember Barb's
> > caramelized onions in the crockpot, so set the dozen or so onions
> > (after some judicious paring of icky spots) to simmering.
>
> Boy, I don't like the word 'simmering' in there, but I'm afraid there's
> too much truth in it.  Seems like some onions are *wa-a-ay* wetter than
> others and if you leave the lid ajar to allow for evaporation, the house
> reeks to high heaven of onion.  Some can abide that, many cannot.

I took the easy way out: put two toothpicks under the lid, and went
out shopping<G>. DH already dipped into the jar, and covered the
smell with his from-scratch pancakes this morning.

> > PROBLEM:  The damned braid keeps shedding all over my kitchen if I
> > just look at it, much less touch it.
>
> Well, quit lookin' at it, fercryin'outloud!!   LOL!

Got a recipe for caramelized garlic?<g>

> > Can I just hack off the braidy part and store the 3 dozen heads of
> > garlic in a cool dark place?  It won't be as pretty, but it'll sure
> > taste good!
>
> I'm sure you can, but I don't know if cool and dark encourage sprouting
> or not.  Be aware of that possible side effect.

THen I'd better get it in from the mudroom. No heat out there.

> > Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
> > just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
> > computer.  Stinking creep!
>
> Indeed!  Same guy, or his brother, did nearly the same with Beck's new
> 'puter ‹ left it at the wrong address!!!

Seems their parents had a whole slew of them, and they've spread out
over the whole country. Oh well, they get it right _most_ of the
time. Except for the guy who was supposed to deliver our present to
my stepson, who hasn't received it yet, and we sent it out a good week
before the holiday.

maxine, cooking beans to displace the smell of the pancakes, and
watching the snow fly

maxine in ri

Dec 31, 2008, 1:42:54 PM12/31/08

Grinch! <grin>

maxine in ri
typing on the new computer

maxine in ri

Dec 31, 2008, 1:48:27 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 9:56 pm, Chemiker <prussianblu...@verizon.net> wrote:

> What would be good recipes for a kid to start on
> if she wanted to get into cooking? I'd like *not*
> to frighten her off with super complex dishes,
> and a Slow-Cooker is not out of the question.
> There are 5 in her family.
>
> TIA
>
> Alex

A good basic cookbook like Joy of Cooking or McCall's. They have
charts on how long to cook meats, how to cook any fruit or vegetable,
and the instructions are comfortably complete.

For the slow-cooker, I just look up recipes on the web for the time
and temperature. There are millions of recipes for her to choose
from.

maxine in ri

Sheldon

Dec 31, 2008, 1:54:39 PM12/31/08
blakevulvamick wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > maxine in ri wrote:
>
> > I got a Lalique green glass frog to add to my collection and a warm
> > piece of clothing:
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/8ejanm
>
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/Lalique-Frog-Green-Sitting-Rainette-New-in-Box_W0...

> looks pretty gay to me, sheldon. �i fear you're slipping over to the Dark
> Side.

I got yer dark side... why don't you roll up a large ShamWow, tie a
string to it, and shove it down your filthy vulva throat.

maxine in ri

Dec 31, 2008, 2:14:01 PM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 11:15 pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" <use...@michaelodom.net>
wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:57:22 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>
> <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
> >maxine wrote:
>
> >> Madhur Jeffry book of Eastern Vegetarian recipes
>
> >Is it this one?
>
> >www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffreys-World-Vegetarian-Cooking/dp/0394748670

Nope. But that cover looked familiar, and it turns out to be on my
bookshelf too.

Rhonda Anderson

Dec 31, 2008, 8:52:33 PM12/31/08
I got Adobe Photoshop Elements software, various books I wanted (no cooking
ones this time), some earrings, some Body Shop smelly stuff, a pair of
Scissoroo (http://www.scissoroo.com.au) embroidery scissors, a desk
calendar with quotes from Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

Food gifts - glace fruits, various chocs (both for me and for Rob and I as
a couple), a bottle of wildberry sauce for icecream (nice) and some
biccies.

There's a couple at work who I'm friendly with - she's from a Swedish
family and I made them a tin of Pepparkarkor for Christmas (in traditional
pig shape - I actually had a pig shaped cutter!). I got a bag of Swedish
goodies in return - some gingerbread flavoured tofee (very nice), a jar of
Lingonberry jam (she introduced me to this and knows I love it,
particularly with ham), a bottle of a traditional Christmas drink, julmust
(which I haven't been game to try yet - she said she doesn't like it, but
thought I might like to try it!) and a bottle of Cloudberry vinegar.

Now - anyone out there used Cloudberry vinegar before? I looked it up and
it's apparently made from Cloudberry wine, rather than being a fruit
infused vinegar. It smells quite good. Anyone have any suggestions for
using it that make the most of it?

Trinny didn't have any suggestions for me - I think she actually bought it
more for the nice bottle, and it was a side benefit that I wanted the
vinegar :-)

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

bolivar

Dec 31, 2008, 11:10:05 PM12/31/08

"maxine in ri" <wee...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

Got a recipe for caramelized garlic?<g>

<more snip>

maxine, cooking beans to displace the smell of the pancakes, and
watching the snow fly

Maxine,

This isn't exactly caramelized, but it's damned good! Ariane Jenkins
brought it to a couple cookins a few years ago. You can just eat them sorta
like healthy candy. :)

Mongolian Stewed Garlic
>From The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking by Barbara Tropp

4-5 hard heads of garlic with large cloves and rose-hued skin, or enough
smaller heads to yield 45-50 firm fat cloves (do not use elephant garlic)
2 1/2 Tbsp. black soy sauce
3 Tbsp. chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock or water
2-3 Tbsp. crushed golden rock sugar (found at Asian groceries, looks like
yellow rock candy in a box)

Pull apart heads of garlic, separating individual cloves from the base.
Remove most of papery outer peel, leaving intact and unbroken the thicker,
rose-hued skin which encases each clove. Do not use any cloves which are
soft, bruised or half-peeled.

Combing soy sauce, wine, and chicken stock in a small heavy pot that will
hold garlic snugly. Bring liquids to a steaming near-simmer over low heat,
then add cloves and stir to combine. Stew mixture 5-10 minutes, scatter in
sugar and stir to dissolve. Cover pot, check after a few minutes and
adjust heat to maintain a steamy near-simmer with few or no bubbles. Lift
lid ccasionally to check that liquids are not boiling, and at the same
time swirl the pot to coat cloves with sauce. Let cook for about 3 1/2
hours. When done, remove lid partway and let cloves sit for 2 or more
hours before eating, swirling pot occasionally to distribute sauce. Serve
tepid or at room temperature, and spoon on a bit of the sauce. To eat the
garlic, crush a clove lightly against the roof of your mouth. Let creamy
pulp dissolve on your tongue, then discard peel. Cool, garlic may be
refrigerated for a week or more in an airtight glass jar. Rotate jar
occasionally to distribute sauce. Leftover sauce is excellent on cold
noodles or meats and dumplings.

[Ariane's note]
Note: IIRC, Tropp's book explains in more detail her differentiation
between "black soy sauce" and other types of soy sauce. I was lazy and
used regular soy sauce, it turned out fine. Garlic keeps very well and has
a mellow, salty-sweet taste.

Give them a try, I think you'll like them.

Boli

Shiral

Jan 1, 2009, 1:27:48 AM1/1/09
On Dec 30, 11:02 am, maxine in ri <weed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No Dacor oven.  No Sub zero fridge.  DH gave me "Bakewise" which I've
> already used twice to explain to folks why something does or doesn't
> work, and found out why
>
> A friend got a 50 pound bag of onions for $5, and ditto a box of
> bananas.  I gave 2 hands of nanners to my SIL, who made 2 banana

> breads, and ended up with none to take home.  I did remember Barb's
> caramelized onions in the crockpot, so set the dozen or so onions
> (after some judicious paring of icky spots) to simmering.
>
> Some of the friends I visited gave us a garlic braid of their very
> yummy stiff-neck garlic.

> PROBLEM:  The damned braid keeps shedding all over my kitchen if I
> just look at it, much less touch it.  Can I just hack off the braidy

> part and store the 3 dozen heads of garlic in a cool dark place?  It
> won't be as pretty, but it'll sure taste good!
>
> We also stopped at a couple of bookstores, and found several
> interesting oddments on the used shelves, a Madhur Jeffry book of
> Eastern Vegetarian recipes, and a reprint of an 1846 kosher
> cookbook....

> Twenty minutes ago, the UPS guy didn't even bother ringing the bell,
> just left a slip saying he tried to deliver a package, with my new
> computer.  Stinking creep!
>
> DH says he'll pick it up tonight, since they're all but a stone's
> throw from us.
>
> maxine in ri

My only real food/cooking related gift was a new Le Crueset 2 3/4
quart capacity round lidded casserole dish. It was so cute, I had to
have it. I have an oval gratin dish from Le Crueset that I literally
use all the time. So I know this new item will come in very handy. My
friend advised me to say it was a gift from my cats. My cats are so
generous. =o)

Melissa

Giusi

Jan 1, 2009, 4:17:02 AM1/1/09
"Rhonda Anderson" ha scritto nel messaggio

a jar of > Lingonberry jam (she introduced me to this and knows I love it,

that's the expats sub for cranberry sauce.

and a bottle of Cloudberry vinegar.
> Now - anyone out there used Cloudberry vinegar before? >

> Rhonda Anderson

Taste that vinegar and see what it suggests to you. I made some strange
ones this year... so far my best use has been in meat dishes to deepen the
flavors.

I received only one kitchen oriented gift and it arrived yesterday. A tiny
tripod for my digital camera. I hope that means no more shaky macro photos
of foods. With no flash and little daylight, this has been an uninspiring
phptp period.

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 1, 2009, 7:28:05 AM1/1/09
"Giusi" <decob...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> "Rhonda Anderson" ha scritto nel messaggio
> a jar of > Lingonberry jam (she introduced me to this and knows I
> love it,
>
> that's the expats sub for cranberry sauce.

It is similar. I prefer the Lingonberry jam, though, I think. Cranberries
are not such a big menu item here, but you can buy jars of cranberry sauce
in the supermarket - Ocean Spray brand and maybe one or two others - and
it's an accepted accompaniment to turkey.

> and a bottle of Cloudberry vinegar.
>> Now - anyone out there used Cloudberry vinegar before? >
>> Rhonda Anderson
>>
> Taste that vinegar and see what it suggests to you. I made some
> strange ones this year... so far my best use has been in meat dishes
> to deepen the flavors.

Good suggestion. I'll try it on the weekend and see what I'm inspired to
do.

> I received only one kitchen oriented gift and it arrived yesterday. A
> tiny tripod for my digital camera. I hope that means no more shaky
> macro photos of foods.

Sounds like a snazzy present.

Nancy Young

Jan 1, 2009, 8:02:49 AM1/1/09
Shiral wrote:

> My only real food/cooking related gift was a new Le Crueset 2 3/4
> quart capacity round lidded casserole dish. It was so cute, I had to
> have it. I have an oval gratin dish from Le Crueset that I literally
> use all the time. So I know this new item will come in very handy. My
> friend advised me to say it was a gift from my cats. My cats are so
> generous. =o)

They say cats are standoffish, but really, they're not.
Very thoughtful creatures.

I had a small Le Creuset pot in my hands just the other
day, I resisted buying it, but that's not going to last
forever.

nancy

Gill Smith

Jan 1, 2009, 9:24:59 AM1/1/09
A kick up the pantry.

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Kathleen

Jan 1, 2009, 9:44:04 AM1/1/09
Ophelia wrote:

My son is 14 now and still asks me to read to him, as long as it's
anything by Sir Terrence*. I enjoy it but I've asked him once or twice
if he wouldn't rather read them for himself, or get them as "books on
tape" for his IPOD so he could listen to them at his leisure.

Nope. Says he can't stop a recording and ask for an explanation, and
they never do the voices right, either.

*Although we also both enjoyed "A Primate's Memoir", an account of a
researcher's studies of baboons in Africa. The author's description of
suffering a bout of "the Shakespearian craps" outside his tent one night
while surrounded by curious elephants was so hysterical that I kept
having to back up and take another run at it to get through it.

Ophelia

Jan 1, 2009, 9:55:23 AM1/1/09
Kathleen wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Kathleen wrote:
>>
>>> No foodie stuff this year. I got a new pair of dark blue jeans that
>>> promptly turned my underwear blue, even after being washed and
>>> dried, when I got caught in a downpour, a pretty black tunic, some
>>> dichroic glass pendants, a new Terry Pratchett book - "Making
>>> Money" and three rolls of swedish pattern paper.
>>

>> He is now Sir Terry Pratchett. He is so sweet. He says it will be
>> very strange, living with a Lady:)
>
> My son is 14 now and still asks me to read to him, as long as it's
> anything by Sir Terrence*. I enjoy it but I've asked him once or
> twice if he wouldn't rather read them for himself, or get them as
> "books on tape" for his IPOD so he could listen to them at his
> leisure.
> Nope. Says he can't stop a recording and ask for an explanation, and
> they never do the voices right, either.

Anyway, nothing beats Mum reading:))) Lovely:))

> *Although we also both enjoyed "A Primate's Memoir", an account of a
> researcher's studies of baboons in Africa. The author's description
> of suffering a bout of "the Shakespearian craps" outside his tent one
> night while surrounded by curious elephants was so hysterical that I
> kept having to back up and take another run at it to get through it.

<G>

tintalle

Jan 1, 2009, 10:52:58 AM1/1/09
On Dec 31 2008, 10:52 pm, Rhonda Anderson <schumache...@bigpond.com>
wrote:

Cloudberry vinegar sounds yummy! In newfoundland both partridgeberry
jam (Lingonberry to most of the rest of the world) and bakeapple jam
(cloudberries to everyone else) are native and popular. Local
wineries have been making wonderful wines out of both fruit for the
past 20 years or so. The Cloudberry stuff is quite rich and a tad
expensive, as you cannot cultivate the berries. I've never seen
cloudberry vinegar though, but i may have to start looking for it.

Janet Wilder

Jan 1, 2009, 12:20:33 PM1/1/09
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:19:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>>
>>> A new smoker pit: http://i40.tinypic.com/so1ncz.jpg
>>>
>>> I seasoned it Christmas day, so it's ready to go. We'll have ribs for
>>> the new year.
>> You are so lucky! It looks like a real beauty. Was it custom built?
>
> Sorta custom built. There's a "Gasoline Alley"-type welding shop over
> in the county seat that makes them on spec when business is slow. When
> I picked mine out, they had the four-foot ones and the three-foot
> ones. I got the smaller of the two. The dimension in question is the
> width of the cooking chamber.
> --

Enjoy it in good health, Modom. It's a gem. I'm still campaigning for
one of the little New Braunfels-style smokers that are often on sale for
under $200. It would be perfect for the two of us and occasional company.

My neighbor has a really nice New Braunfels-style smoker but she can't
use it. When her son visits he uses it. He's there now and they are
going to waste all that lovely smoke on an injected Cajun turkey breast.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Janet Wilder

Jan 1, 2009, 12:22:22 PM1/1/09
Gloria P wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Lin wrote:
>>
>>> There is talk that next year's Dirty Santa must be gifts that were
>>> from Infomercials or "As Seen on T.V." Billy Mays, here we come! ;-)
>>>
>>> --Lin (Hmmm, ShamWow or Magic Bullet Blender?)
>>
>> I vote for the ShamWow. I've been using it as a towel when I bathe the
>> puppy. It really is quite good.
>

> I was in a local Bed, Bath & Beyond over the weekend and they had a
> whole area of "As Seen on TV" stuff.
>
> I also saw a website recently where all those products were evaluated
> and most of them were in the junk/iueless category.

I don't know about most of the stuff, but the ShamWow is pretty good. We
got it for the cars and I just love it for bathing the puppy.

Janet Wilder

Jan 1, 2009, 12:27:57 PM1/1/09
Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> I got Adobe Photoshop Elements software, various books I wanted (no cooking
> ones this time), some earrings, some Body Shop smelly stuff, a pair of
> Scissoroo (http://www.scissoroo.com.au) embroidery scissors, a desk
> calendar with quotes from Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

There are Yahoo Groups for Photoshop Elements. I'm on the Elements 6 one
and there are lots and lots of great tutorials and even links to add
filters and stuff to your own program. It's been really helpful to me. I
also wound up ordering a couple of books from Amazon, which, if I ever
finish reading, will help, too. I'm good with the basics of the program.
I had Photoshop Home and Elements 2 but the new Elements are so much
like the full Adobe that they really require some study to get all the
benefits.

Have a great time with yours. I'm enjoying mine.

koko

Jan 1, 2009, 12:52:50 PM1/1/09

Thanks for the great information Janet. I just bought the Photoshop
Elements 6 book that Adobe puts out. The instructions are so easy and
clear, step by step, just what I need. I've learned a lot from the
book but I think a group would be a great help also. I'll look the
group up today.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/31

blake murphy

Jan 1, 2009, 2:54:35 PM1/1/09

more cocksucking. you're really obsessed, aren't you?

blake

blake murphy

Jan 1, 2009, 2:58:25 PM1/1/09

he snagged himself a title? the last scuttlebutt (apparently true) i heard
about him was that he had been diagnosed with alzheimer's.

<http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/>

your pal,
blake

Gloria P

Jan 1, 2009, 5:35:26 PM1/1/09

TIP: They are often found in TJ Maxx or Marshall's at 25-30% of
department store or even LC outlet price. Check for defects.
They're usually very minor but not always.

gloria p

Kathleen

Jan 1, 2009, 6:03:49 PM1/1/09

Yes. But the two conditions are not mutually exclusive. I mean, geeze,
look at England's royal family.

Nancy Young

Jan 1, 2009, 7:20:35 PM1/1/09
Gloria P wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I had a small Le Creuset pot in my hands just the other
>> day, I resisted buying it, but that's not going to last forever.

> TIP: They are often found in TJ Maxx or Marshall's at 25-30% of

> department store or even LC outlet price. Check for defects.
> They're usually very minor but not always.

Thanks ... I will take a look next time I'm passing by one
of those stores.

nancy

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 2, 2009, 4:08:42 AM1/2/09
tintalle <cal...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Cloudberry vinegar sounds yummy! In newfoundland both partridgeberry
> jam (Lingonberry to most of the rest of the world) and bakeapple jam
> (cloudberries to everyone else) are native and popular. Local
> wineries have been making wonderful wines out of both fruit for the
> past 20 years or so. The Cloudberry stuff is quite rich and a tad
> expensive, as you cannot cultivate the berries. I've never seen
> cloudberry vinegar though, but i may have to start looking for it.

This is the vinegar that I was given - it was purchased in IKEA here

http://www.grythyttanvin.se/eng/vinegar.htm

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 2, 2009, 4:13:49 AM1/2/09
Janet Wilder <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> There are Yahoo Groups for Photoshop Elements. I'm on the Elements 6
> one and there are lots and lots of great tutorials and even links to
> add filters and stuff to your own program. It's been really helpful to
> me. I also wound up ordering a couple of books from Amazon, which, if
> I ever finish reading, will help, too. I'm good with the basics of the
> program. I had Photoshop Home and Elements 2 but the new Elements are
> so much like the full Adobe that they really require some study to get
> all the benefits.
>
> Have a great time with yours. I'm enjoying mine.

Thanks a lot for the information, Janet. I got Elements 7 so I'll see if
there's a group there for that. A book's not in the budget right now, but
sooner or later I'm sure. I'm sure I'll have fun. I like to play with
images to use in my other "crafty" endeavours.

PeterL

Jan 2, 2009, 4:18:04 AM1/2/09
Rhonda Anderson <schuma...@bigpond.com> wrote in

612248...@v42g2000yqv.googlegroups.com:

>> Cloudberry vinegar sounds yummy! In newfoundland both partridgeberry
>> jam (Lingonberry to most of the rest of the world) and bakeapple jam
>> (cloudberries to everyone else) are native and popular. Local
>> wineries have been making wonderful wines out of both fruit for the
>> past 20 years or so. The Cloudberry stuff is quite rich and a tad
>> expensive, as you cannot cultivate the berries. I've never seen
>> cloudberry vinegar though, but i may have to start looking for it.
>>

> This is the vinegar that I was given - it was purchased in IKEA here
>
> http://www.grythyttanvin.se/eng/vinegar.htm

Bloody IKEA is taking over the world!!

Next there'll be an IKEA burger bar, and pizza palour!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Be of good cheer about death and know this as a truth --that no evil can
happen to a good man, either in life or after death.

Socrates

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 2, 2009, 5:13:35 AM1/2/09
PeterL <Pet...@brissie.com> wrote in

>> This is the vinegar that I was given - it was purchased in IKEA here
>>
>> http://www.grythyttanvin.se/eng/vinegar.htm
>>

> Bloody IKEA is taking over the world!!
>
> Next there'll be an IKEA burger bar, and pizza palour!!

LOL, not quite - the big IKEA in Sydney stocks Swedish foodstuffs as well
as the furniture etc. My friend and her mum go there to buy Swedish
favourites that they can't find in the usual supermarket.

blake murphy

Jan 2, 2009, 1:46:11 PM1/2/09
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:20:33 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:

> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:19:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> You are so lucky! It looks like a real beauty. Was it custom built?
>>
>> Sorta custom built. There's a "Gasoline Alley"-type welding shop over
>> in the county seat that makes them on spec when business is slow. When
>> I picked mine out, they had the four-foot ones and the three-foot
>> ones. I got the smaller of the two. The dimension in question is the
>> width of the cooking chamber.
>> --
>>

> Enjoy it in good health, Modom. It's a gem. I'm still campaigning for
> one of the little New Braunfels-style smokers that are often on sale for
> under $200. It would be perfect for the two of us and occasional company.
>
> My neighbor has a really nice New Braunfels-style smoker but she can't
> use it. When her son visits he uses it. He's there now and they are
> going to waste all that lovely smoke on an injected Cajun turkey breast.

you can lead a horse to smoke, etc.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jan 2, 2009, 1:49:49 PM1/2/09

<snort>

you got a point there. though i don't think charles is as dumb as he's
sometimes portrayed.

your pal,
blake

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 2, 2009, 9:36:39 PM1/2/09
modom wrote:

>> www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffreys-World-Vegetarian-Cooking/dp/0394748670
>>
>> My favorite recipe from that book is black-eyed pea pancakes. If I didn't
>> have to work that night, I'd be making them on New Year's Day.
>>
> Mind sharing the recipe sometime?

Finally got around to typing it up. This is a quote from the book:

Neela's Chaura Na Poora (Black-Eyed Pea Pancakes)

This scrumptious savory pancake, given here with its Gujarati name, is eaten
in western and southern India. It is spicy, light, but quite satisfying, and
exceedingly nourishing. It can be eaten at any time of the day, but is ideal
for breakfast and snacks. To make it, black-eyed peas have to be soaked
overnight in water. Next morning, their skins are rubbed off and the beans
are ground in a food processor or a blender into a batter. Ginger, garlic,
green chilies, Chinese parsley, salt, and turmeric are added to the batter
and then the pancakes are cooked on a nonstick griddle or skillet...The
batter can be made up to 24 hours in advance and then covered and
refrigerated. Stir it well before you begin cooking.

makes 12-14 pancakes

1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over, rinsed, and drained
A 3/4-inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled, and cut into 4 pieces
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 to 2 fresh hot green chilies, cut into quarters
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon minced Chinese parsley
About 3/4 cup vegetable oil

Soak the peas for 12 to 16 hours in a bowl filled with 4 cups of water. Then
peel the peas by dipping your hands into the bowl of peas and water and
rubbing them between your two palms. Drain and spread the peas out on a
large platter and pick off the skins that have been loosened. (Do not worry
if not all the skins have come loose.)

Start your food processor with the metal blade in place. Through the funnel,
drop in the ginger pieces first, followed by the garlic cloves and the green
chili (or chilies). When they are minced, stop the machine and put in all
the drained black-eyed peas. Start the machine again and let it run until
the peas turn pastelike. Run the machine for another minute to make a
thickish batter. Empty batter into a bowl. (This batter can also be made in
an electric blender.)

See that you have everything you need for your poora-making. Not far from
your nonstick skillet should be your oil (take it out in a cup) and a
teaspoon, a rounded soupspoon for spreading out the batter, a 1/3 cup
measuring cup, and a plastic spatula. Also have a plate beside you on which
you can put the pooras as they are cooked.

Pour 1 teaspoon of oil into an 8-inch nonstick skillet. Spread the oil
around by tilting the skillet. Now put the skillet to heat over a medium-low
flame. When the oil is hot, stir the batter well, scoop up 1/3 cup, and flop
this down in the center of your heated skillet. Let it just sit there for 3
to 4 seconds. Now place the rounded bottom of your soupspoon very lightly on
the center of your blob of batter. Using a slow, gentle, and continuous
spiral motion, spread the batter outward with the back of the soupspoon. You
should now have a pancake about 6 to 7 inches in diameter. Dribble 1/2
teaspoon oil over the pancake and another 1/2 teaspoon just outside its
edges. Using your plastic spatula, spread the oil on top of the pancake and
also smooth out any lumps or ridges. Let the pancake cook for about 2
minutes on the first side or until it turns a nice reddish color. Flip the
pancake over with the plastic spatula and cook the other side for about 2
minutes or until it develops small reddish spots. Remove the pancake and put
it on a plate. Make all the pancakes this way, MAKING SURE YOU STIR THE
BATTER BEFORE YOU MAKE EACH PANCAKE. (If you do not do this, you will be
left with a very watery batter toward the end.) Stack the pancakes one on
top of the other. If not eating immediately, wrap the whole stack of
pancakes in aluminum foil. This way, they can be eaten a couple of hours
later at room temperature or reheated, still wrapped in foil, in a 450°F
oven for 15 minutes.

These pancakes are always served with their first side up (the first side
that was cooked, that is) and eaten with relishes, pickles, chutney, or
cooked vegetables.

BOB'S NOTES:

1. I often use chile-garlic paste in place of the garlic and fresh chiles.

2. I don't add oil after the pancake goes into the pan unless I think it
needs it. It's kind of like making crepes in that you have to watch the oil
level carefully.

3. I don't use a spatula to flip the pancakes; I do the time-honored deft
flick of the wrist to flip them like flapjacks.

4. I usually serve them with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of scallion
greens. For an interesting brunch, serve them with Sri Lankan hoppers,
curried hard-boiled eggs, and mango relish (chutney, salsa, sambal, or
whatever you want to call it).

Bob

modom (palindrome guy)

Jan 3, 2009, 12:25:15 AM1/3/09

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.
-- Dorothy Parker
(I think, but I haven't been led all the way to culture)
--

modom

modom (palindrome guy)

Jan 3, 2009, 12:31:18 AM1/3/09

Many thanks, Bob. It sounds utterly delicious. I'm surprised the
pancakes hold together with no flour or bread crumbs to bind them, but
I take it they do.
--

modom

It is loading more messages.