Saturday Nite is Garlic Nite

RNR

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
In article <20000205233056...@ng-fu1.aol.com>,
catma...@aol.com (Sheryl Rosen) wrote:

>Alan Zelt wrote:
>>And now, we are to watch Mel Brooks' (Director, writer) movie, the
>>Producer starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. A very funny movie.
>>

>Was that on cable tv tonight???
>I am a huge Mel Brooks fan and believe it or not, that's one I haven't seen in
>it's entirety. Don't know why....just haven't.
>Darn it!!!
>
>I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and rent it.
>
>Maybe tomorrow....

You might see if the library has it. We have saved many dollars on
rentals by checking the library catalogue first. Of course, we're broke,
so we have to, but it will be a nice money saving thing when we aren't
broke.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Your lucky number is 3552664958674928. Watch for it everywhere.

Alan Zelt

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
A lazy day around the Puget Sound, followed by a wonderfully lazy and
comfortable dinner. Since the SBF and I love garlic, it followed that
the comfort dinner de jour would include this delicious bulb.

The main course was to be Mimi Heller's Sticky Chicken. Although I only
cooked it for 4 hours, it was rather incredulous to have this
unbelievably moist chicken that spent so much time in the oven, albeit
at 250F.

As we shopped at Top Foods yesterday, we came across some Mexican
asparagus for $1.99/lb. Stocked up on that. We fixed it by steaming it
al dente. Over the top, I poured a tbsp of melted butter, replete with
Penzeys Parisian Seasonings and a chopped clove of garlic.

The other side was to be spuds. In this case, we peeled and roughly
chopped up three small russets. Into a pot for about 15 minutes of
boiling time. Then they were thrown in a roasting pan with about half a
cup of chicken stock, one head of garlic, separated and skinned, a
serious sprinkling of coarse sea salt and some hot Hungarian paprika.
Placed in the same 250F oven, they were in for about 2 hours.

When the chicken was done, I boiled and scraped up the juices with some
chicken stock and added a tad bit of flour and salt. When served, some
gravy over both the potatoes and the chicken.

Because of the richness of this chicken, clear through to the bone,
along with spuds that were blessed by nestling up to the chicken for 2
hours, I was able to pour a wonderful bottle of Ch Ste. Michelle,
Columbia Valley Meritage 1993(Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, and
Cab Franc). What was initially an overly tannic bottle when purchased in
95, has finally started to mature into a good bordeaux style blend.

And now, we are to watch Mel Brooks' (Director, writer) movie, the
Producer starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. A very funny movie.

Thanks for the recipe Mimi.

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the
people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Sheryl Rosen

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Alan Zelt wrote:
>And now, we are to watch Mel Brooks' (Director, writer) movie, the
>Producer starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. A very funny movie.

Was that on cable tv tonight???

I am a huge Mel Brooks fan and believe it or not, that's one I haven't seen in
it's entirety. Don't know why....just haven't.
Darn it!!!

I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and rent it.

Maybe tomorrow....
Sheryl
Not a newbie. Just new to AOL.

Alan Zelt

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00

And not to rub it in(heh, heh), prior to the Producers, we were blessed
to view: "To Be or Not To Be."

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 02:41:28 GMT, Alan Zelt
<alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>A lazy day around the Puget Sound, followed by a wonderfully lazy and
>comfortable dinner. Since the SBF and I love garlic, it followed that
>the comfort dinner de jour would include this delicious bulb.
>
>The main course was to be Mimi Heller's Sticky Chicken. Although I only

I don't seem to have this recipe in my archive of posts. Would you be
willing to post it?

--
Siobhan Perricone
Seen on a tee shirt:

Young

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> I don't seem to have this recipe in my archive of posts. Would you be
> willing to post it?

I found it in rec.food.recipes, posted on 1/24/2000. I feel a little
funny about copying her post, so look on dejanews. I searched on
the keywords sticky chicken.

nancy

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00

Thanks.

Christine Dabney

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 14:25:05 GMT, Siobhan Perricone <ast...@sover.net> wrote:

>>The main course was to be Mimi Heller's Sticky Chicken. Although I only
>

>I don't seem to have this recipe in my archive of posts. Would you be
>willing to post it?

You can find this recipe at this URL....
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/Foolproof_Sticky_Chicken.htm

Christine

Alan Zelt

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 02:41:28 GMT, Alan Zelt
> <alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >A lazy day around the Puget Sound, followed by a wonderfully lazy and
> >comfortable dinner. Since the SBF and I love garlic, it followed that
> >the comfort dinner de jour would include this delicious bulb.
> >
> >The main course was to be Mimi Heller's Sticky Chicken. Although I only
>
> I don't seem to have this recipe in my archive of posts. Would you be
> willing to post it?
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
* Exported from MasterCook *

Mimi's Sticky Chicken

Recipe By : Mimi Heller
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Main Dish
Meats Poultry

2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 whole roasting chicken -- about 3 pounds
1 cup chopped onions

Directions
Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in small bowl.

Rinse chicken, inside and out. Drain well.

Rub spice mixture over skin and the inside of chicken.

Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions.

Place chicken breast side down in roasting pan.

Roast uncovered at 250:F (that's not a typo it's really 250:! Anything
over 225: is safe as long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature
of at least 155:, which this does, and more) for about 5 hours. Baste
occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices start to caramelize on
bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is the best and easiest roast chicken you've ever tasted.
It seems a little strange, but it's the only one my family will eat, and
company loves it, too!

We can truly vouch that it is a very strange feeling to cook a chicken
for between 4 and 5 hours and not have it tough, dry and stringy. A
wonderful delite. And so, we shall have it again, tonite.

Harry A. Demidavicius

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 09:44:46 -0500, Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com>
wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>
>> I don't seem to have this recipe in my archive of posts. Would you be
>> willing to post it?
>

>I found it in rec.food.recipes, posted on 1/24/2000. I feel a little
>funny about copying her post, so look on dejanews. I searched on
>the keywords sticky chicken.
>

>nancy

something wrong with going to Mimi's web site and just looking it up?
Harry Demidavicius

Puester

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00

Oh, for heaven's sake, here it is:

Mimi Hiller's Sticky Chicken

[...]

Serves 4.

gloria p

-- Mimi

notbob

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Alan Zelt wrote:

> A lazy day around the Puget Sound, followed by a wonderfully lazy and
> comfortable dinner. Since the SBF and I love garlic, it followed that
> the comfort dinner de jour would include this delicious bulb.
>
> The main course was to be Mimi Heller's Sticky Chicken. Although I only
> cooked it for 4 hours, it was rather incredulous to have this
> unbelievably moist chicken that spent so much time in the oven, albeit
> at 250F.
>
> As we shopped at Top Foods yesterday, we came across some Mexican
> asparagus for $1.99/lb. Stocked up on that. We fixed it by steaming it
> al dente. Over the top, I poured a tbsp of melted butter, replete with
> Penzeys Parisian Seasonings and a chopped clove of garlic.
>
> The other side was to be spuds. In this case, we peeled and roughly
> chopped up three small russets. Into a pot for about 15 minutes of
> boiling time. Then they were thrown in a roasting pan with about half a
> cup of chicken stock, one head of garlic, separated and skinned, a
> serious sprinkling of coarse sea salt and some hot Hungarian paprika.
> Placed in the same 250F oven, they were in for about 2 hours.
>
> When the chicken was done, I boiled and scraped up the juices with some
> chicken stock and added a tad bit of flour and salt. When served, some
> gravy over both the potatoes and the chicken.
>
> Because of the richness of this chicken, clear through to the bone,
> along with spuds that were blessed by nestling up to the chicken for 2
> hours, I was able to pour a wonderful bottle of Ch Ste. Michelle,
> Columbia Valley Meritage 1993(Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, and
> Cab Franc). What was initially an overly tannic bottle when purchased in
> 95, has finally started to mature into a good bordeaux style blend.
>
> And now, we are to watch Mel Brooks' (Director, writer) movie, the
> Producer starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. A very funny movie.
>
> Thanks for the recipe Mimi.
>
> --
> alan
>
> Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.
>
> "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> avoid the
> people, you might better stay home."
> --James Michener

Ahhh....

The glorious aroma of roasting chicken and garlic ...the lilting
strains of "Springtime for Hitler", ...all washed down with a good
glass of red. Sounds like my kinda Sat night. Thnx for the recipe.

=D
nb

TM & B

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 22:09:02 GMT, Alan Zelt
<alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 02:41:28 GMT, Alan Zelt

>> <alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >A lazy day around the Puget Sound, followed by a wonderfully lazy and
>> >comfortable dinner. Since the SBF and I love garlic, it followed that
>> >the comfort dinner de jour would include this delicious bulb.
>> >
>> >The main course was to be Mimi Heller's Sticky Chicken. Although I only
>>

>> I don't seem to have this recipe in my archive of posts. Would you be
>> willing to post it?
>>

>> --
>> Siobhan Perricone
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Mimi's Sticky Chicken
>
>Recipe By : Mimi Heller
>Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Dinner Main Dish
> Meats Poultry

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------

> 2 teaspoons salt
> 1 teaspoon paprika
> 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
> 1/2 teaspoon thyme
> 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

> 1 whole roasting chicken -- about 3 pounds
> 1 cup chopped onions
>
>Directions

>Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in small bowl.
>
>Rinse chicken, inside and out. Drain well.
>
>Rub spice mixture over skin and the inside of chicken.
>
>Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
>
>When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions.
>
>Place chicken breast side down in roasting pan.
>
>Roast uncovered at 250:F (that's not a typo it's really 250:! Anything
>over 225: is safe as long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature
>of at least 155:, which this does, and more) for about 5 hours. Baste
>occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices start to caramelize on
>bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

>NOTES : This is the best and easiest roast chicken you've ever tasted.

>It seems a little strange, but it's the only one my family will eat, and
>company loves it, too!
>

>We can truly vouch that it is a very strange feeling to cook a chicken
>for between 4 and 5 hours and not have it tough, dry and stringy. A
>wonderful delite. And so, we shall have it again, tonite.

I shall try this soon. Do you think the juice from the onions helps
keep the moisture in the chicken from drying out too much? I agree
with you - the method does sound decidedly odd! But there you go!

By the way do you happen to know anything about Chicken in a Pot? I
heard somone who had eaten it on a cruise on the QE2 raving about it.
It seems this calls for an overnight slow cooking method in liquid. I
can only imagine the meat literally dropping off the bones.

Cheers
TM & B

A diet is too little of a good thing.

Alan Zelt

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
TM & B wrote:

> I shall try this soon. Do you think the juice from the onions helps
> keep the moisture in the chicken from drying out too much? I agree
> with you - the method does sound decidedly odd! But there you go!

I am certain that is the case(but than, it is Mimi's recipe).

> By the way do you happen to know anything about Chicken in a Pot? I
> heard somone who had eaten it on a cruise on the QE2 raving about it.
> It seems this calls for an overnight slow cooking method in liquid. I
> can only imagine the meat literally dropping off the bones.

Around here we would call it chicken soup. :)

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 23:55:42 GMT, Harry A. Demidavicius
<har...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>something wrong with going to Mimi's web site and just looking it up?
>Harry Demidavicius

Oh for goddess' sake. I didn't KNOW Mimi had a site. I don't even know
who the hell Mimi is. I don't memorize every name of every person who
posts on this newsgroup (IF she posts here, Mimi, I'm dreadfully sorry that
I didn't know who you were and that you had a web site). I figured she was
either a famous cook, whose recipe was in a book he'd read, or it was a
recipe from someone around here and it would be in our archives (since it
wasn't when I looked, I ASKED). Or some combination of those things. I
certainly didn't think it would be THIS big a deal.

It doesn't matter, once I was told about it being in rec.food.recipies'
archive instead of this ng's archive, I found it, and read it, and enjoyed
it, and Thank you Mimi, whoever you are.

Harry A. Demidavicius

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 08:08:53 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
<ast...@sover.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 23:55:42 GMT, Harry A. Demidavicius
><har...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>>something wrong with going to Mimi's web site and just looking it up?
>>Harry Demidavicius
>
>Oh for goddess' sake. I didn't KNOW Mimi had a site. I don't even know
>who the hell Mimi is. I don't memorize every name of every person who
>posts on this newsgroup (IF she posts here, Mimi, I'm dreadfully sorry that
>I didn't know who you were and that you had a web site). I figured she was
>either a famous cook, whose recipe was in a book he'd read, or it was a
>recipe from someone around here and it would be in our archives (since it
>wasn't when I looked, I ASKED). Or some combination of those things. I
>certainly didn't think it would be THIS big a deal.
>
>It doesn't matter, once I was told about it being in rec.food.recipies'
>archive instead of this ng's archive, I found it, and read it, and enjoyed
>it, and Thank you Mimi, whoever you are.

You are an active but reasonably new participant in rfc, Siobhan .
Mimi has been here for a long time and has a Nationally [probably
Internationally], recognized Web Site. She is an excellent chef and is
active in other groups beyond rfc. She posts here [frequently] as her
time allows and mostly sticks to cooking related topics.

I am glad you did the research. Just because you don't
recognize/remember "everybody" who posts here, is your loss, not ours.
So Chill .... There are a lot of close friends who hang around here
Harry Demidavicius
who enjoys your posts, but thinks you need to learn more about the
folks here.

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

So what? Is that any reason to be snide at me about not having known she
had a web site? And if you *weren't* being snide, then you should have
chosen a different way of saying:

>something wrong with going to Mimi's web site and just looking it up?

The different way of saying it that would have been informative instead of
snide is:

"Mimi has a wonderful web site, Siobhan, and here's the URL."

You didn't even provide the URL.

You weren't helpful, you were being snide, so I reacted to your snideness.
Don't tell *me* to chill when *you're* the one who is being snide.

And I'm not nearly as new here as you think I am. Though I can certainly
understand why you'd think I was new because of the way I'm reacting with
surprise at how snide some of you can be.

Alan Boles

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
Well if you'd have been here since January 1 or so you'd of seen
requests asking where her site was and also several nice posts from her.
So you must be new.

Why don't you eat a beet and calm down...

"Siobhan Perricone" <ast...@sover.net> wrote in message

RNR

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
In article <rEZn4.2523$If7....@news1.mts.net>, "Alan Boles"
<haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Well if you'd have been here since January 1 or so you'd of seen
>requests asking where her site was and also several nice posts from her.
>So you must be new.
>
>Why don't you eat a beet and calm down...

I agree that it is odd not to have seen anything about Mimi, but maybe
her news server ate many of those posts and she just didn't read the other
ones. Or maybe, it wasn't in any useful threads to her, or meaningful in
any way. It was Harry who was rude to her, and not helpful at all. He
didn't give a URL, he didn't give the dejanews reference, he didn't just
give the recipe. He _did_ insult her and make catty jabs.
She asked an honest question and got a bunch of flak from arrogant jerks.

Alan Zelt

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

All this because I forgot to append Mimi's recipe to the post. Sheeeesh.
See if I ever forget again!!!!

The Trinker

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> Being a newbie has bugger all to do with remembering the name of every chef
> who has a website and posts on Usenet. Sheesh.

Siobhan, it's not, from what I can tell, so much that Mimi is a
chef with a website as that Mimi Hiller in times past has been
a more like a *fixture* in rfc.

I don't know if you only see subjectlines, or if you also see
posters names and/or e-mail addys, but surely there are names
that leap out for nothing else than that they seem to be
on many posts? Melba's Jammin, Steve Kramer, Jamie Utter,
PENMART, recently you, Charles Gifford, lots of other names
I've failed to mention here.

If you were a more occasional poster, I think it would be less
surprising to other rfc'ers that you don't recognize her name.

And Mimi, if you're out there reading, come back! The new faces
hardly know you...

--
DO NOT SEND REPLIES DIRECTLY TO THIS E-MAIL!
tri...@pacbell.net is a spamdump, and is not read.

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:13:01 -0800, am...@teleport.com (RNR) wrote:

>In article <rEZn4.2523$If7....@news1.mts.net>, "Alan Boles"
><haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Well if you'd have been here since January 1 or so you'd of seen
>>requests asking where her site was and also several nice posts from her.
>>So you must be new.
>>
>>Why don't you eat a beet and calm down...
>
> I agree that it is odd not to have seen anything about Mimi, but maybe

I don't recall claiming that I'd never seen anything about her, but that I
haven't *retained* anything about her. The name "Mimi" rings bells, but it
doesn't *attach* to anything, as I'll explain below.

>her news server ate many of those posts and she just didn't read the other
>ones. Or maybe, it wasn't in any useful threads to her, or meaningful in
>any way. It was Harry who was rude to her, and not helpful at all. He
>didn't give a URL, he didn't give the dejanews reference, he didn't just
>give the recipe. He _did_ insult her and make catty jabs.
> She asked an honest question and got a bunch of flak from arrogant jerks.

I appreciate this. I was starting to wonder about my sanity (nothing new,
that).

Just for the sake of completeness, here's how I handle the approximately
200 FRESH posts (that means NEW headers or unthreaded posts, I don't even
see the headers of threads I've already marked "ignore" but I can easily
imagine that the actual traffic rate here is close to 400 posts) a day that
come through this newsgroup.

I DL the headers and look at the subject. If the subject doesn't interest
me or I don't feel I can answer the question asked, or I have nothing to
offer the thread, I immediately mark it "ignore". That covers about 90% of
the threads that come down. I don't see any other messages relating to
those threads unless someone changes the threading or subject line. I do
not have time to read even HALF of what is posted here, and there is no
reason why anyone should try to make me feel like I have to.

I didn't say I hadn't ever heard of Mimi (or if I did, then I overstated my
point). I *think* I said that I didn't know who she was. I believe the
name rang a bit of a bell as someone's name I'd seen, much as some of the
other names here ring bells. But I didn't know more than that, and it's
not some major blot on my Usenet record that I don't know the name of a
chef. There are literally THOUSANDS of chefs whose names I don't know, and
quite possibly hundreds of chefs with websites whose names I don't know,
and, dare I admit it, probably dozens of chefs with websites who post on
Usenet whose names I don't know. I just don't keep track of who is a chef
and who isn't, I don't *care* what people do for a living here. I don't
keep track of names. I don't track who posts what.

I look at the subject, and if it intrigues me, I dl the message and read
it, then respond to it. I don't care WHO wrote it, or WHO they were
talking about, I just care if the recipe is interesting or the topic is
interesting, or I have something to share that worked for me. In a way
that blindness actually HELPS me because I tend not even to remember the
people who were assholes to me before, so I'm always reading their posts
with a fresher tone. Though I doubt I will forget Harry's name any time
soon. Harry... Damocles was it?

I only started posting around Thanksgiving on *this* version of this
particular newsgroup, but I was on alt.food.cooking (IIR the name
correctly) for rather a long time a few years ago.

Being a newbie has bugger all to do with remembering the name of every chef
who has a website and posts on Usenet. Sheesh.

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:20:51 -0800, The Trinker <tri...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Siobhan, it's not, from what I can tell, so much that Mimi is a
>chef with a website as that Mimi Hiller in times past has been
>a more like a *fixture* in rfc.
>
>I don't know if you only see subjectlines, or if you also see
>posters names and/or e-mail addys, but surely there are names
>that leap out for nothing else than that they seem to be
>on many posts? Melba's Jammin, Steve Kramer, Jamie Utter,
>PENMART, recently you, Charles Gifford, lots of other names
>I've failed to mention here.

I have seen names like this, yes. And I have seen the name Mimi, too.
That doesn't mean that 1) I knew she had a web site, 2) she was necessarily
a fixture here, or 3) that I knew what she does for a living. Do I spend
any time or brain matter on retaining the names that appear next to posts?
No, I don't. And I adamantly insist that my not paying attention to who
posts here has got NOTHING to do with being a NEWBIE.

I was being chided for not knowing she had a web site. Her name rang
enough of a bell for me that I actually checked the archives of *this*
newsgroup to find the recipe before asking for it first. That should be
enough of an indication that I at least recognized the name enough to
suspect she was someone who posted here. But I didn't want to say so
unequivocally only to find that people only *talk* about her here (much
like they used to talk about Jeff Smith or the two fat ladies. I certainly
would see them mentioned a lot, but never expect them to be considered
"fixtures" of the ng).

>If you were a more occasional poster, I think it would be less
>surprising to other rfc'ers that you don't recognize her name.

I'm *not* more than an occasional poster. I post maybe a couple times a
week here. However, I'm NOT an "occasional reader". I go through this
newsgroup every single day and actually *read* about 35-40 posts a day.

I simply cannot BELIEVE that it's seen as some mark of being a newbie
(which, in itself is not such a bad thing, except inasmuch as you may as
well call me an animal molester, because "newbie" in usenet parlance means
about the same bloody thing) that I don't bother to note people's names on
the hundreds of posts a day I skim in this newsgroup. I've got other (Read
that as OTHER, not "better") things to do with my gray matter. And since
your names are all preserved for posterity, I don't *need* to retain them.
I can look them up any time I need to.

Perhaps what's REALLY going on here is that I'm not really getting into the
*culture* of the newsgroup the way you think I should be. Perhaps you're
offended that I *don't* get into the community here on a personal level,
that I actually avoid learning to identify people and remember their names.
Maybe you should really be calling me Unmutual, instead of a Newbie.

UNMUTUAL! That's what I am.

I am not a number! I am a human being!

I don't have to experience the group in the same way you do. The fact that
I choose not to doesn't make me a bloody animal molester.

Harry A. Demidavicius

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00

Oh, Quit yelping and Settle Down! .... Do your research before you
yell for "Help" and before you get aggressive. If you had any
knowledge of this group your comments would be redundant and your
manners would be a lot better
Harry Demidavicius

Alan Boles

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00

"Harry A. Demidavicius" <har...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
cool over a newbie.
Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.

Victor Sack

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Siobhan Perricone <ast...@sover.net> wrote:

> "Mimi has a wonderful web site, Siobhan, and here's the URL."

<http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/>

Victor

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:41:19 -0600, "Alan Boles"
<haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
>cool over a newbie.
>Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.

*sigh* You're just trying to piss me off now, aren't you?

1) I'm a woman.
2) Try doing a bloody deja news search on me, and you'll see that I"m not a
newbie. I don't have to prove it, Deja will do just fine.
3) Not knowing that a newsgroup regular has a web site I could check
doesn't make me a newbie.
4) Getting irritated at how you jerks are acting doesn't make me a newbie,
it makes me human
5) There is no number 5.

Siobhan Perricone

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 07:56:45 +0100, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone <ast...@sover.net> wrote:
>
>> "Mimi has a wonderful web site, Siobhan, and here's the URL."
>
><http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/>

Thank you, Victor.

Young

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:41:19 -0600, "Alan Boles"
> <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
> >cool over a newbie.
> >Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.
>
> *sigh* You're just trying to piss me off now, aren't you?

Actually, Siobhan, I rather thought Harry was referring to me because
I said I felt funny about reposting Mimi's post. I should have thought
to check out her excellent site for the recipe ... I didn't. My
mistake. But I really don't think he meant to be rude to you the way
you took it. I'm not like, the expert on Harry or anything, but (laugh)
when he's rude, he's not subtle.

nancy

Alan Boles

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00

"Alan Boles" <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> "Harry A. Demidavicius" <har...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:26:27 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
> > <ast...@sover.net> wrote:
> >
> > >On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:27:35 GMT, Harry A. Demidavicius
> > ><har...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> > >
> > Oh, Quit yelping and Settle Down! .... Do your research before you
> > yell for "Help" and before you get aggressive. If you had any
> > knowledge of this group your comments would be redundant and your
> > manners would be a lot better
> > Harry Demidavicius
>
> Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
> cool over a newbie.
> Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.

I apologise for thinking you were a man. Actually I just guessed and
guessed wrong.
No good deed is left unpunished.

Alan Zelt

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:41:19 -0600, "Alan Boles"
> <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
> >cool over a newbie.
> >Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.
>
> *sigh* You're just trying to piss me off now, aren't you?
>
> 1) I'm a woman.
> 2) Try doing a bloody deja news search on me, and you'll see that I"m not a
> newbie. I don't have to prove it, Deja will do just fine.
> 3) Not knowing that a newsgroup regular has a web site I could check
> doesn't make me a newbie.
> 4) Getting irritated at how you jerks are acting doesn't make me a newbie,
> it makes me human
> 5) There is no number 5.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
> Seen on a tee shirt:
> I am a bomb technician. If you see me running
> try to keep up.

Alan,

Aren't you happy you asked Harry to cool down?

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
In article <amira-08020...@pppa52-resaletacoma1-3r7169.saturn.bbn.com>,

RNR <am...@teleport.com> wrote:
>In article <rEZn4.2523$If7....@news1.mts.net>, "Alan Boles"
><haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Well if you'd have been here since January 1 or so you'd of seen
>>requests asking where her site was and also several nice posts from her.
>>So you must be new.

>>Why don't you eat a beet and calm down...

"Have a peanut" is a standard line on another newsgroup I frequent.

> I agree that it is odd not to have seen anything about Mimi, but maybe

>her news server ate many of those posts and she just didn't read the other
>ones. Or maybe, it wasn't in any useful threads to her, or meaningful in
>any way. It was Harry who was rude to her, and not helpful at all. He
>didn't give a URL, he didn't give the dejanews reference, he didn't just
>give the recipe. He _did_ insult her and make catty jabs.
> She asked an honest question and got a bunch of flak from arrogant jerks.

Bad Harry! Bad! No biscuit!

Didn't put <http://www.cyber-kitchen.com> in his post! BAD Harry!

But the only person I saw being *rude* was Harry. So unless my usually
spiffy newsfeed was falling over, I don't think the last phrase of yours
is justified. Harry was snotty, but don't make it a conspiracy here ;-).

I would like to remind people that since Mimi Hiller isn't posting much
at the moment (sniff! sob! Mimi's being meeeeean to all of us, not just
Kay!!!!!), that pointing people to her fabulous website at
<http://www.cyber-kitchen.com> at reasonable intervals is a Public
Service.

Please note when trying to determine "reasonable" that a number of people
have to work hard to keep up with rfc - I have considered myself a regular
for a while, but probably filter out at least 2/3 of the posts by subject
line. And I have a spiffy newsfeed. Pity the poor folks who *don't*.
(Maybe someone would like to add it to a signature file??? Did I mention
that the URL is <http://www.cyber-kitchen.com> ???)

The chipotle flank steak is to drool for. And she has Keith Rickert's
amazing Pad Thai recipe in pretty HTML, unlike yours truly, who sticks
with text.

And she's still the keeper of the site for Susan Hattie, who I still miss
a lot four years after her death. I think of Susan every time I make her
famous Goat Cheese Torta (usually to ooohs and aaahs from the eaters - I
*know* Susan is up there smiling about that ;-). Mimi has the Goat Cheese
Torta recipe on <http://www.cyber-kitchen.com>.

More ObFood: Gonna make the potato-corn-pancetta chowder that Trillium
posted as soon as I get some thyme. Looked in several grocery stores
known for their produce for Yukon Gold potatoes and found them
unexpectedly in my local Safeway. Yeehaw!

CLB, a link to <http://www.cyber-kitchen.com> is on my piddly
little website too, along with tips for the Goat Cheese Torta
Charlotte L. Blackmer http://www.rahul.net/clb
Berkeley Farm and Pleasure Palace (under construction)
Junk (esp. commercial) email review rates: $250 US ea

Harry A. Demidavicius

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 08:23:55 -0500, Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com>
wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:41:19 -0600, "Alan Boles"
>> <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
>> >cool over a newbie.
>> >Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.
>>
>> *sigh* You're just trying to piss me off now, aren't you?
>

>Actually, Siobhan, I rather thought Harry was referring to me because
>I said I felt funny about reposting Mimi's post. I should have thought
>to check out her excellent site for the recipe ... I didn't. My
>mistake. But I really don't think he meant to be rude to you the way
>you took it. I'm not like, the expert on Harry or anything, but (laugh)
>when he's rude, he's not subtle.
>
>nancy

Thank you Nancy. ...
BTW if I'm going to be rude with/to you, I'll do it on e-mail.
Harry Demidavicius

This other person, while active thinks we in rfc are her talking cook
book. Let her go to search engines. If she doesn't give a rip about
who she talks to, she doesn't deserve respect or our responses. Such
arrogance. She's just been Plonked.

Harry A. Demidavicius

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 23:42:11 GMT, Alan Zelt
<alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:41:19 -0600, "Alan Boles"
>> <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
>> >cool over a newbie.
>> >Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.
>>
>> *sigh* You're just trying to piss me off now, aren't you?
>>

>> 1) I'm a woman.
>> 2) Try doing a bloody deja news search on me, and you'll see that I"m not a
>> newbie. I don't have to prove it, Deja will do just fine.
>> 3) Not knowing that a newsgroup regular has a web site I could check
>> doesn't make me a newbie.
>> 4) Getting irritated at how you jerks are acting doesn't make me a newbie,
>> it makes me human
>> 5) There is no number 5.
>>
>> --
>> Siobhan Perricone
>> Seen on a tee shirt:
>> I am a bomb technician. If you see me running
>> try to keep up.
>
>Alan,
>
>Aren't you happy you asked Harry to cool down?

Bloody aggravation, that one.
Harry Demidavicius
Sorry - bloody self centered aggravation, that one.

Harry A. Demidavicius

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:24:43 -0600, "Alan Boles"
<haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>"Alan Boles" <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Harry A. Demidavicius" <har...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

>> > Oh, Quit yelping and Settle Down! .... Do your research before you
>> > yell for "Help" and before you get aggressive. If you had any
>> > knowledge of this group your comments would be redundant and your
>> > manners would be a lot better
>> > Harry Demidavicius
>>

>> Harry eat a beet and calm down. He is only a newbie. Don't blow your
>> cool over a newbie.
>> Ok so don't eat a beet just calm down.
>>

>I apologise for thinking you were a man. Actually I just guessed and
>guessed wrong.
>No good deed is left unpunished.

Wrong Guess, Alan - who cares ... She's unmannerly enough ...
Harry Demidavicius