Penzey's ?

1 view

Roxan-NO Spam

Jan 29, 2001, 11:34:08 PM1/29/01
I see Penzey's listed here a lot and have no idea what everyone is talking
about. Could someone let me in on what or who this is. Many thanks.
Roxan in Pa.

wcollings

Jan 29, 2001, 11:51:08 PM1/29/01

"Roxan-NO Spam" <roxan...@panetwork.com> wrote in message

> I see Penzey's listed here a lot and have no idea what everyone is talking
> about. Could someone let me in on what or who this is. Many thanks.

Sure. It is spice company with several retail locations, a fabulous printed
catalog, a great website, and the freshest best quality spices you'll ever
find at prices that are typically better than the grocery store --
particularly if you buy in their bulk packaging. They don't have absolutely
every spice in the world, but they come very close. Really an excellent
resource. I've been buying all my spices mail-order from them for several
years and recommend them highly.

www.penzeys.com

Siobhan Perricone

Jan 30, 2001, 7:14:25 AM1/30/01

It is THE mail order spice company, unless you happen to be lucky enough to
live close to one of their stores. In which case it is THE spice store. :D

I happen to live within an hour of the King Arthur Flour store, which
almost makes up for not being near a Penzey's. :D
--
Siobhan Perricone
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who

Rosie Miller

Jan 30, 2001, 8:16:20 AM1/30/01
In article <4vbd7tccitkegvvds...@4ax.com>, Siobhan Perricone
<ast...@sover.net> writes:

>I happen to live within an hour of the King Arthur Flour store, which
>almost makes up for not being near a Penzey's. :D
>--

Boy are you lucky !! Several store in this area are supposed to have King
Arthur, but I get a better variety if I order from the company, I love their
flour for bread and that is usually the only kind I will use.
Rosie

Roxan-NO Spam

Jan 30, 2001, 6:18:33 PM1/30/01
Thanks for their web site. Lucky you who lives near King Arthur. I also love
their flour. We can get some of their things at the food store but not much.
I have managed to get the white whole wheat flour which I like a lot.
Roxan

"Rosie Miller" <rmi10...@aol.com> wrote in message

DJKathyA or John

Jan 30, 2001, 6:38:57 PM1/30/01
Boy what a coincidence! I stopped in the CT Penzeys today down in Norwalk!
My first time and I came out of there with only 5 bottles! It is set up
similar to a candle store with all the spices alphabetical. They have
bottled and loose in bags and the prices range from $1.19 (dill weed) to $$$
(saffron etc.). I saw at least 5 types of cinnamon and their spice blends
are outstanding. They had special spice blends for meats, cakes, salad
dressings, bbq, roasting, fish, foreign.....and they had gift baskets of
assorted spices and extracts. Pleasant shop. I got their catalogue and
signed up for their mailings. Well priced, fresh, good selection, and there
were recipes for free dotted around the store. Wowie! :0) Worth the hour+
drive! DJKathyA :0)

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 30, 2001, 7:55:11 PM1/30/01

Ahhh Got it!!!
I forgot, she had told me she was bringing her husband to Stamford for some
sort of doctor visit, and she was planning a stop at Stew Leonard's. I told her
to go to Penzeys. Even gave her directions.
She wouldn't have found it without me.

She wrote me, when I gave her the directions and said "Too bad my husband isn't
social,we could have met for lunch".
As If!!!!!

Why would I have wanted to meet her for lunch? (shrug) I don't even know her,
and from I'd seen of her, have nothing in common with her. She works in
Michael's crafts. Oh wow! And she sells her crafts on Ebay. Oh wow!

I swear, I've been spending time in other parts of CT the past few weeks....
(she lives near New London, CT) and it's like as soon as you leave Fairfield
County, you wind up in Hooterville. Except for on the main drags..then you
might as well be in NJ. No offense, Nancy, but you know how it is when you
drive down Hwy 9 or 18....every chain store imaginable in a 5 mile stretch of
road. Then nothing but cows for MILES.....then the same stores, again, all in a
row, for another 5 mile stretch. It's like that in Long Island, except for the
cows, and in Illinois, too. So, I'm not degrading NJ. It's probably like that
everywhere, now.

Anyway, I'm really glad I missed the little idiot field trip. How could anyone
go to Penzeys, drive over an hour to get there, and only buy 5 jars??? I buy
one or two, but--I used to work half a mile away, I could go there every day if
I chose to.

Oh well....
Sheryl
(Remove the crap to email)
Live like there's no tomorrow...
Love like you've never been hurt,
and Dance like there's nobody watching.

DJKathyA or John

Jan 30, 2001, 9:29:23 PM1/30/01

"Sheryl Rosen" <catma...@aol.comcrap> wrote in message

She says "Remove CRAP to E-Mail" ??? That would be most of this post!
What exactly in my above post about a visit to a spice store inspired this
rant from the queen bee?? Yep, thanks Sheryl for telling me how to get to
Penzeys. I am eternally sorry for not mentioning above that "without Sheryl
I would never have found it". Now tell me why you are hellbent on
backstabbing/blacklisting me?

A lesson learned about confiding personal details to someone via
internet...don't. I do NOT work at Michaels...we don't even have a Michaels
around my area. (Hooterville only has a general store and feed huh?) It is
none of your business where I work anyway. Did you mention that I told you I
worked in a craft store because I was trying to help you get a job there
because you needed one and we had a mangement opening? At least I have a
job...and a life, and a happy relationship with a man...which is more than I
can say about you.

Hooterville did you call it? Jack Schidt lives nearby too...or should I now
call him Jed? (How does Jack feel about this?) Isn't it rude to tell someone
where they live is terrible based on their distance from NY? You've never
visited where I live. Ricky Lake, Kathryn Hepburn and Morley Schaeffer live
within 8 miles of me. Paul Newman lives about 20. All Farmers no doubt. ;-)

What I bought at Penzeys is what I needed for my kitchen pantry at the time.
(and my own business). All you mentioned buying recently Sheryl was a
vibrator at Filenes. ("and such a good deal!") While we are critiquing nice
persons vs not so nice, (another silly thread of rants), I e-mailed back
and forth with you in a friendly manner over the last month and offered to
have lunch. I "trusted" you enough to want to meet. I thought we could be
friends. I love to talk about cooking and enjoy people's company who have
similar interests. Making friends is something quite foreign to you. Enjoy
your cat and your 3 room apartment. That's all you have outside this ng.

I guess not working at a real job all day gives you time to think up posts
24/7 in here....are you not as popular as you want to be? Is this ng filling
a void in your shallow life? i hope so. Your attacks on me merely make me
chuckle and others in here e-mail me with comments about them. You are
always quick to say "people in here"...well I really DO know other people in
here who think you are a total spaz.

In hindsight, the only thing that would have made this an "idiot fieldtrip"
for me today as you called it, was if I'd actually MET YOU. Thanks for
posting my personal business/address in the ng. You have exposed yourself as
the true asshole you really are.
I rest my case.

Martha Hughes

Jan 30, 2001, 10:04:15 PM1/30/01

Siobhan Perricone <ast...@sover.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:34:08 -0500, "Roxan-NO Spam"
> <roxan...@panetwork.com> wrote:
>
> >I see Penzey's listed here a lot and have no idea what everyone is
talking
> >about. Could someone let me in on what or who this is. Many thanks.
>
> It is THE mail order spice company, unless you happen to be lucky enough
> live close to one of their stores. In which case it is THE spice store.
:D

> I happen to live within an hour of the King Arthur Flour store, which
> almost makes up for not being near a Penzey's. :D

I live near Rainbow Foods, which is a vegetarian co-op here in town (San
Francisco) with awesome spices at extremely reasonable prices. I feel very
lucky indeed.

Martha Hughes

Jan 30, 2001, 10:08:22 PM1/30/01

Sheryl Rosen <catma...@aol.comcrap> wrote in message

> Ahhh Got it!!!
> I forgot, she had told me she was bringing her husband to Stamford for
some
> sort of doctor visit, and she was planning a stop at Stew Leonard's. I
told her
> to go to Penzeys. Even gave her directions.
> She wouldn't have found it without me.

So, she couldn't have called the store and asked for directions?

Damsel in dis Dress

Jan 30, 2001, 10:42:47 PM1/30/01
In article <t7ek5ib...@corp.supernews.com>,

"DJKathyA or John" <SokS...@cshore.com> wrote:
> Boy what a coincidence! I stopped in the CT Penzeys today down in
Norwalk!
> My first time and I came out of there with only 5 bottles!

I don't know how you did it! LOL! With all the wonderful things to
smell while you're there ... you are the model of self-restraint!
Something tells me you'll be back for more, once you've had a chance to
try the stuff you got. Which choices did you make, anyway?

I'm glad you liked the store. I only wish that Penzey's had stores
throughout the country. Makes me feel a little guilty, living so close
to one. (But just a little!) <G>

Carol
>--
Damsel's Edible Complex:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/
Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, Heirloom Recipes

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 31, 2001, 12:59:10 AM1/31/01
In article <20010130195511...@ng-xa1.aol.com>,
catma...@aol.comcrap says...

Good Lord, Sheryl! Whatever possessed you to write something like this?
I ordinarily enjoy most of your posts, but this was really over the top.
I can just imagine how it made Kathy feel.
--
Thierry Gerbault

(remove NOSPAM from address to reply)

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Leo Scanlon

Jan 31, 2001, 6:14:31 AM1/31/01
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:04:15 GMT, "Martha Hughes"
<bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I live near Rainbow Foods

Does Jesse Jackson have anything to do with that? <g>

Leo

Siobhan Perricone

Jan 31, 2001, 7:04:58 AM1/31/01
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:18:33 -0500, "Roxan-NO Spam"
<roxan...@panetwork.com> wrote:

>Thanks for their web site. Lucky you who lives near King Arthur. I also love
>their flour. We can get some of their things at the food store but not much.
>I have managed to get the white whole wheat flour which I like a lot.

King Arthur has a web site
(http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html) and they sell
a wonderful range of products via mail. I just sit and drool when their
catalog comes in, though, I love it. :D They're very responsive and order
ship promptly.

Jack Schidt

Jan 31, 2001, 9:39:16 AM1/31/01

"Sheryl Rosen" <catma...@aol.comcrap> wrote in message

that's mighty neighborly

> She wouldn't have found it without me.

yeah, right; thanks, Magellan

> She wrote me, when I gave her the directions and said "Too
bad my husband isn't
> social,we could have met for lunch".
> As If!!!!!

Yeah, as if someone would want to have lunch with you. How
cheeky!

> Why would I have wanted to meet her for lunch? (shrug) I
don't even know her,
> and from I'd seen of her, have nothing in common with her.
She works in
> Michael's crafts. Oh wow! And she sells her crafts on
Ebay. Oh wow!

uh huh. and switching jobs all of the time is soooo
professional

> I swear, I've been spending time in other parts of CT the
past few weeks....
> (she lives near New London, CT) and it's like as soon as
you leave Fairfield
> County, you wind up in Hooterville. Except for on the
main drags..then you
> might as well be in NJ. No offense, Nancy, but you know
how it is when you
> drive down Hwy 9 or 18....every chain store imaginable in
a 5 mile stretch of
> road. Then nothing but cows for MILES.....then the same
stores, again, all in a
> row, for another 5 mile stretch. It's like that in Long
Island, except for the
> cows, and in Illinois, too. So, I'm not degrading NJ. It's
probably like that
> everywhere, now.

what you mean to say is that once you leave Fairfield
County, you leave NY and enter Connecticut. That is, the
free range part of CT, not the chicken coop part known as
fairfield country, which is one big strip mall with
Bridgeport as it's crown jewel.

Does that include New Haven, too? New Haven is a treasure
trove of great eating and drinking establishments; any real
foodie knows that.

Anyway, we like it here. And the fact that you don't like
it here makes me like it even more.

> Anyway, I'm really glad I missed the little idiot field
trip. How could anyone
> go to Penzeys, drive over an hour to get there, and only
buy 5 jars??? I buy
> one or two, but--I used to work half a mile away, I could
go there every day if
> I chose to.

Maybe she only needed 5 jars; maybe she's not a consumptive
hog.

Kathy's made some newbie posting errors, but you, Sheryl,
take the prize for the big one.

> Oh well....
> Sheryl
> (Remove the crap to email)
> Live like there's no tomorrow...
> Love like you've never been hurt,
> and Dance like there's nobody watching.

and post like you have manners.

Brian B. Rodenborn

Jan 31, 2001, 5:24:23 PM1/31/01
In article <0Lrd6.27835$t3.51...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,
wcollings <wcol...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>Sure. It is spice company with several retail locations, a fabulous printed
>catalog, a great website, and the freshest best quality spices you'll ever
>find at prices that are typically better than the grocery store --
>particularly if you buy in their bulk packaging. They don't have absolutely
>every spice in the world, but they come very close. Really an excellent
>resource. I've been buying all my spices mail-order from them for several
>years and recommend them highly.

I've been looking into buying bulk spices, since the local grocery chain
stopped having spices in the bulk food section recently.

It doesn't seem to me that Penzey's has all that great of prices on the
common stuff that I use in quantity. Here's some comparison with the
San Francisco Herb Company (on-line stores only):

Herb/spice Penzey's SFHC
Sweet California Basil 8 oz 9.79 16 oz 7.55
Whole Cumin Seeds 16 oz 8.90 16 oz 3.95
Cinnamon (Ground) 16 oz 10.90 16 oz 3.90
Peppercorns (Tellicherry) 16 oz 9.90 16 oz 6.35
Vanilla beans 15 Beans 25.49 4oz(app 25) 20.99

To be fair, Penzey's generally has a better selection, and more exotic
items. For instance, Penzey's has a number of varieties of cinnamon, I
chose the common type for comparison.

Both places have spice blends, one would have to try those out to
make any sort of comparison.

--
My troubles are many They're deep as a well
I swear there ain't no heaven And I pray there ain't no hell

food4t...@my-deja.com

Jan 31, 2001, 5:32:32 PM1/31/01
In article <osVd6.3498$vh.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"Jack Schidt" <jack.schidt@attdotnet> wrote:
> Anyway, we like it here. And the fact that you don't like
> it here makes me like it even more.

That was a great line, Jack. ;-D I think she'd hate where I live! All
rural roads, onion fields, horse farms and dairy farms. The most
beautiful country in the world...to us anyway! I take this over hustle
and bustle any day--I can be in that environment in less than an hour
(Manhattan). Parking our Horse and Plow may be tight but....

--
~~A fool and his money are soon partying...~~

wcollings

Jan 31, 2001, 6:50:37 PM1/31/01

"Brian B. Rodenborn" <bb...@ritz.cec.wustl.edu> wrote in message

> It doesn't seem to me that Penzey's has all that great of prices on the
> common stuff that I use in quantity. Here's some comparison with the
> San Francisco Herb Company (on-line stores only):
>
> Herb/spice Penzey's SFHC
> Sweet California Basil 8 oz 9.79 16 oz 7.55
> Whole Cumin Seeds 16 oz 8.90 16 oz 3.95
> Cinnamon (Ground) 16 oz 10.90 16 oz 3.90
> Peppercorns (Tellicherry) 16 oz 9.90 16 oz 6.35
> Vanilla beans 15 Beans 25.49 4oz(app 25) 20.99

I didn't say Penzeys had the best prices around -- just that they are
generally less expensive than what you would pay in a grocery store. I would
generally consider Penzey's a premium supplier of the best quality,
freshest spices you can find. They are a high-end supplier, but at prices
that are competive with mass-market distribution. Sure, I can buy a lot of
stuff a heck of lot cheaper than Penzey's at my local Asian market, but most
of it is junk in comparison to the quality of Penzey's spices.

Also, I am a heavy user of spices and I would consider most of the
quanitities you listed to be out of line for anyone looking to purchase a
year's supply for a home kitchen. I buy the Tellicherry peppercorns in the
16 oz bag. But, for example, a POUND of cumin seed is just an enormous
quantity. I buy a 4 oz bag about once a year for $2.79 at Penzey's. So even
if it's less somewhere else, we aren't talking about real money in any
reasonable quantities. Same thing with Basil. A POUND of dried herb must
come in a burlap gunny sack.

If I were buying pound bags of cumin and herbs on a routine basis, I would
be on the phone to Bill Penzey about a commercial restaurant account. I'm
suspect that he is willing and able to negotiate a deal with large-volume
commercial customers!

Overall, for a one-stop spice supplier for a serious home cook -- weighing
the quality of their product, the catalog, the website, and their customer
service -- I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to shop than
Penzeys. Even little things like the resealable air-tight freezer bags for
bulk spices contribute to that value because it allows you to easily store
bulk spices in the fridge or the freezer.

Brian B. Rodenborn

Jan 31, 2001, 7:08:35 PM1/31/01
In article <hx1e6.677$Ra.1...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,

wcollings <wcol...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>"Brian B. Rodenborn" <bb...@ritz.cec.wustl.edu> wrote in message

[ price comparisons snipped ]

>I didn't say Penzeys had the best prices around -- just that they are
>generally less expensive than what you would pay in a grocery store.

I understand that, but if you're going through the on-line ordering
route, I think you need to compare to like suppliers.

The SF Herb Co. was one I happened to pull out for comparison. There
were a number of on-line shops that came up on a yahoo search.

I have no particular reason to think that this company's products
are inferior (or superior) to Penzey's.

>I would
>generally consider Penzey's a premium supplier of the best quality,
>freshest spices you can find. They are a high-end supplier, but at prices
>that are competive with mass-market distribution. Sure, I can buy a lot of
>stuff a heck of lot cheaper than Penzey's at my local Asian market, but most
>of it is junk in comparison to the quality of Penzey's spices.

Again, this is another company that is in the business of spices, not a
retail shop of any kind. If they are high volume, then likely their
products are just a fresh as anyone else's.

>Also, I am a heavy user of spices and I would consider most of the
>quanitities you listed to be out of line for anyone looking to purchase a
>year's supply for a home kitchen. I buy the Tellicherry peppercorns in the
>16 oz bag. But, for example, a POUND of cumin seed is just an enormous
>quantity. I buy a 4 oz bag about once a year for $2.79 at Penzey's. So even
>if it's less somewhere else, we aren't talking about real money in any
>reasonable quantities. Same thing with Basil. A POUND of dried herb must
>come in a burlap gunny sack.

I went with the most cost-effective comparison in most cases. For the cumin
you mention, a 4 oz at the other place is 1.27

I'd say $1.50, while not a bankroll, is a significant difference. And that's
just one product. You add up several such things, and you get into real
money in a hurry.

As far as quantities, when I go to buy anything on line, I see who in the
family or of my friends wants to split orders. Split that pound of basil
amongst four or five people, then the quantity isn't so ridiculous.

The price there was startling, over twice as expensive at Penzey's.

>If I were buying pound bags of cumin and herbs on a routine basis, I would
>be on the phone to Bill Penzey about a commercial restaurant account. I'm
>suspect that he is willing and able to negotiate a deal with large-volume
>commercial customers!

Since they offer pound lots on their web page, I wouldn't think so.

>Overall, for a one-stop spice supplier for a serious home cook -- weighing
>the quality of their product, the catalog, the website, and their customer
>service -- I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to shop than
>Penzeys. Even little things like the resealable air-tight freezer bags for
>bulk spices contribute to that value because it allows you to easily store
>bulk spices in the fridge or the freezer.

That may well be true, but from my research I'd say their products are
perhaps overpriced. My feeling is that the difference in quality is
probably minimal.

Initial inquiries can't say much about customer service, of course. I'm
not trying to sway satisfied customers of Pensey's, nothing in it for me,
but letting those interested know that there are options.

Martha Hughes

Jan 31, 2001, 8:39:19 PM1/31/01

Brian B. Rodenborn <bb...@ritz.cec.wustl.edu> wrote in message

> It doesn't seem to me that Penzey's has all that great of prices on the
> common stuff that I use in quantity. Here's some comparison with the
> San Francisco Herb Company (on-line stores only):
>
> Herb/spice Penzey's SFHC
> Sweet California Basil 8 oz 9.79 16 oz 7.55
> Whole Cumin Seeds 16 oz 8.90 16 oz 3.95
> Cinnamon (Ground) 16 oz 10.90 16 oz 3.90
> Peppercorns (Tellicherry) 16 oz 9.90 16 oz 6.35
> Vanilla beans 15 Beans 25.49 4oz(app 25) 20.99

Wow! I knew Penzy's was expensive, but I didn't realize how much! Now that
Rainbow is closing (sniff, sniff), I'm going to have to check out the SF
Herb Company , it's not that far away from where I live.

val189

Jan 31, 2001, 8:25:48 PM1/31/01
In every catalog, there is usually a dynamite recipe you will prob. love
and repeat. However, the print is so tiny, you wl prob. hv to retype
for future use.

I like the chicken soup base and use it whenever I need a quick cup
or two of chicken stock. The spices are fresh, the service is good,
have nvr hd them screw up an order. Beware of ordering too much tho - I
once ordrd the Ital. spice mix and had to give most of it away - it was
enough for ten years at the rate I would've used it. !!! Start
small!!

Val

DJKathyA or John

Jan 31, 2001, 8:50:26 PM1/31/01

> "Brian B. Rodenborn" <bb...@ritz.cec.wustl.edu> wrote in message
>
> > It doesn't seem to me that Penzey's has all that great of prices on the
> > common stuff that I use in quantity. Here's some comparison with the
> > San Francisco Herb Company (on-line stores only):
> >
> > Herb/spice Penzey's SFHC
> > Sweet California Basil 8 oz 9.79 16 oz 7.55
> > Whole Cumin Seeds 16 oz 8.90 16 oz 3.95
> > Cinnamon (Ground) 16 oz 10.90 16 oz 3.90
> > Peppercorns (Tellicherry) 16 oz 9.90 16 oz 6.35
> > Vanilla beans 15 Beans 25.49 4oz(app 25) 20.99

I have to disagree if we are talking smaller sizes. I got a small bottle of
Dill Weed for $1.19 at Penzeys and it cost $3.39 at the grocery store for
McCormack brand same size.
I thought they had a terrific selection and I liked that you could see and
smell the different spices. I purchased Sweet Curry, Dill Weed, Cake Spice
(blend for baked goods), Ranch Dressing Blend, (mix with mayo and
buttermilk), and bicentennial Rub (blend for beef/meat dishes). I had just
replaced most of the general spices I use back in December, so I only bought
the ones I needed and didn't have.
I thought the prices were cheaper as a whole for the smaller container size.
I throw away all my spices and replace them annually, so I only buy small
size bottles. I understand the better deals are in buying bulk, but if I
don't use it, it is wasted.
DJKathyA :0)

wcollings

Jan 31, 2001, 11:07:10 PM1/31/01

> I understand that, but if you're going through the on-line ordering
> route, I think you need to compare to like suppliers.

By all means! You should put together a spice order from SF Herb Co and let
us know how the quality is. Looks like it's probably a nice place run by
spice enthusiasts.

I'll stick with Penzeys. I keep a spreadsheet of all the spices I buy. I use
this once a year when I need to put together my annual spice order. I'll go
through my bulk storage box in the fridge and see what bags are empty. I can
look back and see the last time I ordered that spice and how much I ordered
so I can adjust up or down on the new order.

One thing I like about Penzey's, in addition to their quality, is that they
stock everything I use. So if I'm out of annatto seeds, they've got 'em. I'm
sure I could save 10 bucks a year by shopping around, but I'm a satisfied
customer so they get my repeat business. I enjoy the catalogs, I enjoy the
information about the spices.

As far as "splitting" spice orders with other people -- life's too short for
that. Most people wouldn't know what to do with half the spices in my
cupboard, let alone want to split a bag. I can just see calling around
seeing if any of my friends want a half-pound of cardamom pods or ancho
chili powder!

Ranee Mueller

Feb 1, 2001, 12:57:05 AM2/1/01
In article <Oh5e6.1634$Ra.3...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "wcollings"
<wcol...@mediaone.net> wrote:

> As far as "splitting" spice orders with other people -- life's too short
> for that. Most people wouldn't know what to do with half the spices in my
> cupboard, let alone want to split a bag. I can just see calling around
> seeing if any of my friends want a half-pound of cardamom pods or ancho
> chili powder!

No, but poor folks like me can save on shipping by pooling orders
with others who would enjoy the same types of things.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Ranee's Recipe Site at http://saudichef.terrashare.com
Use saudichef as a referral, thanks!

wcollings

Feb 1, 2001, 3:38:27 AM2/1/01

"Ranee Mueller" <ran...@harbornet.com> wrote in message

> In article <Oh5e6.1634$Ra.3...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "wcollings"
> <wcol...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>
> > As far as "splitting" spice orders with other people -- life's too short
> > for that. Most people wouldn't know what to do with half the spices in
my
> > cupboard, let alone want to split a bag. I can just see calling around
> > seeing if any of my friends want a half-pound of cardamom pods or ancho
> > chili powder!
>
> No, but poor folks like me can save on shipping by pooling orders
> with others who would enjoy the same types of things.

No question. Next time you need Annatto Seeds, just let me know and I'll
double up my order! You can drive over and pick 'em up. Heck, I'll even
split my Asefoeda Powder and Kala Jeera.

Seriously, though. If you've got people in the neighborhood who use spices,
that's a great idea.

Brian B. Rodenborn

Feb 1, 2001, 12:21:30 PM2/1/01
In article <t7hg872...@corp.supernews.com>,

DJKathyA or John <SokS...@cshore.com> wrote:

[ price comparison snipped ]

>I have to disagree if we are talking smaller sizes. I got a small bottle of
>Dill Weed for $1.19 at Penzeys and it cost $3.39 at the grocery store for
>McCormack brand same size.

Right, but you're not comparing the same thing. As I mentioned in another
reply, the other on-line sellers (not grocery stores) also have smaller
sizes, and similar price differences to the ones I mentioned before.

>I thought the prices were cheaper as a whole for the smaller container size.
>I throw away all my spices and replace them annually, so I only buy small
>size bottles. I understand the better deals are in buying bulk, but if I
>don't use it, it is wasted.

Granted. For me, I have certain things I use in substantial quantities,
or keep well, or both. I have no concern about peppercorns or cumin
seeds for instance.

Ranee Mueller

Feb 1, 2001, 1:05:13 PM2/1/01
In article <7g9e6.5069$Ra.4...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "wcollings"
<wcol...@mediaone.net> wrote:

> "Ranee Mueller" <ran...@harbornet.com> wrote in message

> > No, but poor folks like me can save on shipping by pooling orders

> > with others who would enjoy the same types of things.
>

> No question. Next time you need Annatto Seeds, just let me know and I'll
> double up my order! You can drive over and pick 'em up. Heck, I'll even
> split my Asefoeda Powder and Kala Jeera.

Sure, where do you live? :)

> Seriously, though. If you've got people in the neighborhood who use
> spices, that's a great idea.

It's a good way to save on the outrageous costs of shipping on any
product. That way, we all pay a more reasonable amount. Of course, I
think there shouldn't be shipping costs. Sure, it costs them something,
but Nordstrom's doesn't charge me a separate fee for contributing to
their power bill, the cost of the product reflects their overhead and
profit without separate fees. A catalogue generally has fewer overhead
costs, yet the prices are the same as in stores _and_ we have to pay
shipping & handling.

Jack Schidt

Feb 1, 2001, 1:15:53 PM2/1/01

"Ranee Mueller" <ran...@harbornet.com> wrote in message

A lot of sites offer a choice of shipping (regular, next
day, etc) so they keep it as a separate cost.

Jack Par Avion

Ranee Mueller

Feb 1, 2001, 1:19:16 PM2/1/01
In article <tJhe6.2340$G62.1...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Jack Schidt" <jack.schidt@attdotnet> wrote:

> A lot of sites offer a choice of shipping (regular, next
> day, etc) so they keep it as a separate cost.

I think the basic shipping should be free, for the reasons I stated.
I understand charging for next day and such, but I think it should be
the real cost.