A Chopped Salad

1 view

Curly Sue

Nov 14, 2003, 2:45:16 PM11/14/03
I tried this today and really enjoyed it. It's pretty and delicious.
I added a bit of salt, some zest from the lime, and more cilantro.

Pete's Chopped Salad

1/2 c chopped red pepper
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1/2 c chopped cucumber
1/2 c diced red onion (note: next time I'm cutting to 1/4 c)
1-1/2 c diced tomato
1 c fresh, canned, or frozen corn kernels
1 c canned black beans, drained
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 T lime juice
2 T minced cilantro
minced jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, optional

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Makes 6 servings.

(From: "Change One" by J. Hastings, Reader's Digest Association)
Sue(tm)

PENMART01

Nov 14, 2003, 5:58:04 PM11/14/03
In article <3fb5319d...@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
address...@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) writes:

>I tried this today and really enjoyed it. It's pretty and delicious.
>I added a bit of salt, some zest from the lime, and more cilantro.
>
>Pete's Chopped Salad
>
>1/2 c chopped red pepper
>1/2 c chopped green pepper
>1/2 c chopped cucumber
>1/2 c diced red onion (note: next time I'm cutting to 1/4 c)
>1-1/2 c diced tomato

Just curious... what criteria caused you to dice some and chop some?

>1 c fresh, canned, or frozen corn kernels
>1 c canned black beans, drained
>2 T red wine vinegar
>1 T olive oil
>1 T lime juice
>2 T minced cilantro
>minced jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, optional
>
>Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Makes 6 servings.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Curly Sue

Nov 14, 2003, 9:44:53 PM11/14/03
On 14 Nov 2003 22:58:04 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

>In article <3fb5319d...@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
>address...@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) writes:
>
>>I tried this today and really enjoyed it. It's pretty and delicious.
>>I added a bit of salt, some zest from the lime, and more cilantro.
>>
>>Pete's Chopped Salad
>>
>>1/2 c chopped red pepper
>>1/2 c chopped green pepper
>>1/2 c chopped cucumber
>>1/2 c diced red onion (note: next time I'm cutting to 1/4 c)
>>1-1/2 c diced tomato
>
>Just curious... what criteria caused you to dice some and chop some?

You caught me- I diced them all!

(But I copied the recipe verbatim)

sf

Nov 15, 2003, 4:01:45 AM11/15/03
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:53 GMT, address...@nyc.rr.com
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2003 22:58:04 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:
>
> >In article <3fb5319d...@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
> >address...@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) writes:
> >
> >>I tried this today and really enjoyed it. It's pretty and delicious.
> >>I added a bit of salt, some zest from the lime, and more cilantro.
> >>
> >>Pete's Chopped Salad
> >>
> >>1/2 c chopped red pepper
> >>1/2 c chopped green pepper
> >>1/2 c chopped cucumber
> >>1/2 c diced red onion (note: next time I'm cutting to 1/4 c)
> >>1-1/2 c diced tomato
> >
> >Just curious... what criteria caused you to dice some and chop some?
>
> You caught me- I diced them all!

Jeeze, you're precise (cutting)!
Maybe Pete threw everything into the food processor - except
the onion.

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 4:16:47 AM11/15/03
sf <nob...@pipeline.com> writes:

>(Curly Sue) wrote:

>> (PENMART01) wrote:

>> >Just curious... what criteria caused you to dice some and chop some?
>>
>> You caught me- I diced them all!
>>

>Jeeze, you're precise (cutting)!
>Maybe Pete threw everything into the food processor - except
>the onion.

Why not the onion... hmm, Art Linkletter was correct.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 15, 2003, 4:34:57 AM11/15/03
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in

> sf <nob...@pipeline.com> writes:
>
>>(Curly Sue) wrote:

>>> You caught me- I diced them all!
>>>

>>Jeeze, you're precise (cutting)!
>>Maybe Pete threw everything into the food processor - except
>>the onion.
>
> Why not the onion... hmm, Art Linkletter was correct.

I don't usually chop onion in the food processor because it bruises it
too much and releases too many juices, which usually results in too
strong a flavor.

Wayne

Curly Sue

Nov 15, 2003, 10:53:54 AM11/15/03
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:01:45 GMT, sf <nob...@pipeline.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:53 GMT, address...@nyc.rr.com
>(Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>> On 14 Nov 2003 22:58:04 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

<snip>

>> >Just curious... what criteria caused you to dice some and chop some?
>>
>> You caught me- I diced them all!
>>

>Jeeze, you're precise (cutting)!

I know. Even worse, most of the items were a small dice, no larger
than the black beans! I usually ignore "dice" but felt compelled to
do it for this recipe.

>Maybe Pete threw everything into the food processor - except
>the onion.

Could be. But the reward for the tedium of dicing was a
gorgeous-looking salad.

Nancy Young

Nov 15, 2003, 12:13:13 PM11/15/03

There used to be a restaurant near me, I ordered their chopped salad
often. I have no idea how they got the ham, salami, provolone,
etc. etc. etc. to the *precise* same dice. It was a beautiful
plate of food, I miss that a lot.

nancy

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 1:08:40 PM11/15/03
Wayne Boatbaby writes:

>(PENMART01) wrote:
>> sf <nob...@pipeline.com> writes:

>>>Jeeze, you're precise (cutting)!
>>>Maybe Pete threw everything into the food processor - except
>>>the onion.
>>
>> Why not the onion... hmm, Art Linkletter was correct.
>
>I don't usually chop onion in the food processor

Um, reread the recipe, it says *diced* onion, and food processors cannot dice
onions, nor can they dice anything else.

>because it bruises it
>too much and releases too many juices, which usually results in too
>strong a flavor.

Then it would smoosh all veggies rather than slicing them cleanly, which is why
typical home food processors are worth shit. There is nothing whatsoever a
home food processor can do better or faster then can be done with a chefs
knife, a blender, and the best kitchen tool of all, the human hand... folks who
rely on food proccesors are no more a cook than a kazoo player is a muscian.

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 1:25:41 PM11/15/03
Nancy Young writes:

>There used to be a restaurant near me, I ordered their chopped salad
>often. I have no idea how they got the ham, salami, provolone,
>etc. etc. etc. to the *precise* same dice.

Someone knew how to use a chefs knife.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 15, 2003, 2:01:52 PM11/15/03
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in

Okay, okay. Yes, it sais *diced* onion, which I would do anyway even it
it said to chop it in the FP. My own reason still stands.

>>because it bruises it
>>too much and releases too many juices, which usually results in too
>>strong a flavor.
>
> Then it would smoosh all veggies rather than slicing them cleanly,
> which is why typical home food processors are worth shit. There is
> nothing whatsoever a home food processor can do better or faster then
> can be done with a chefs knife, a blender, and the best kitchen tool
> of all, the human hand... folks who rely on food proccesors are no
> more a cook than a kazoo player is a muscian.

I wholeheartedly agree with the slicing issue; however, there are still
many things that a FP can expediate, especially if one needs to produce
large quantities. Even slicing or chopping, if the ingredients are going
to be cooked down anyway - it wouldn't much matter if the pieces are
uneven or somewhat smooshed. Also, I've never found a better way to make
large quantities of fine bread crumbs than using the steel blade in the
FP. It's far more consistent than any other method I've tried. Also
good for small quantites of batter and dough.

OTOH, I would never consider slicing or chopping anything that will end
up for presentation or serving as is.

Wayne

Cult of Nurse's

Nov 15, 2003, 2:28:03 PM11/15/03

Finesse

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 5:39:01 PM11/15/03
Wayne Boatboob writes:

There is nothing you can chop/slice quicker with a food processor that I can't
do quicker and better with a knife.... remember, ya still gotta prep the food,
make it fit that teensy hole, and clean up.

>Also, I've never found a better way to make
>large quantities of fine bread crumbs than using the steel blade in the
>FP.

A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.

Naturally a food processor is incapable of grinding meat, or anything else.

Mike Pearce

Nov 15, 2003, 6:00:14 PM11/15/03

"PENMART01" wrote in message

> There is nothing you can chop/slice quicker with a food processor that I
can't
> do quicker and better with a knife.... remember, ya still gotta prep the
food,
> make it fit that teensy hole, and clean up.
>
> >Also, I've never found a better way to make
> >large quantities of fine bread crumbs than using the steel blade in the
> >FP.
>
> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.
>
> Naturally a food processor is incapable of grinding meat, or anything
else.

I cant remember the last time I used my food processor for anything other
than making mayonnaise. It is pretty good for that.

-Mike

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 15, 2003, 6:07:45 PM11/15/03
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in

Perhaps so, for you. I cannot do this more quickly by hand, and with
arthritis in my hands, it's a lot less painful to use the food processor
for large quantites.

>>Also, I've never found a better way to make
>>large quantities of fine bread crumbs than using the steel blade in
>>the FP.
>
> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.

That may be true for dried breadcrumbs, but I can't envision anything but
mush coming out of a meat grinder if using fresh bread - certainly not
fine crumbs. Next time I use my meat grinder, I'll give it a try.

> Naturally a food processor is incapable of grinding meat, or anything
> else.

Agreed that a food processor simply cannot grind meat.

Wayne

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 8:23:23 PM11/15/03
"Mike Pearce" writes:

>"PENMART01" wrote:
>

>> There is nothing you can chop/slice quicker with a food processor that I
>can't
>> do quicker and better with a knife.... remember, ya still gotta prep the
>food,
>> make it fit that teensy hole, and clean up.
>>
>> >Also, I've never found a better way to make
>> >large quantities of fine bread crumbs than using the steel blade in the
>> >FP.
>>
>> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.
>>
>> Naturally a food processor is incapable of grinding meat, or anything
>else.
>>

>I cant remember the last time I used my food processor for anything other
>than making mayonnaise. It is pretty good for that.

So is a $5 tag sale blender.

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 8:23:22 PM11/15/03
Wayne Boatwright writes:

>PENMART01) wrote

>> There is nothing you can chop/slice quicker with a food processor that
>> I can't do quicker and better with a knife.... remember, ya still
>> gotta prep the food, make it fit that teensy hole, and clean up.
>
>Perhaps so, for you. I cannot do this more quickly by hand, and with
>arthritis in my hands, it's a lot less painful to use the food processor
>for large quantites.

Not exposing te fact that you've a disibility right from the git-go is a
foul... then you'd also be slower with a processor too.

>>>Also, I've never found a better way to make
>>>large quantities of fine bread crumbs than using the steel blade in
>>>the FP.
>>
>> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.
>
>That may be true for dried breadcrumbs, but I can't envision anything but
>mush coming out of a meat grinder if using fresh bread - certainly not
>fine crumbs. Next time I use my meat grinder, I'll give it a try.

Use a large holed plate, and since grinders pass food but once the results will
be very homogenous, so to produce ever finer crumbs simply pass the crumbs
through again... but I've no idea what one does with fine fresh crumbs. I do
know that to make fine crumbs a processer will produce a mixture of all size
crumbs, but by the time there are no large crumbs there'll be mostly powder.
Naturally I hope we're not talking Wonder here, I grind fresh bread crumbs all
the time, from crusty breads.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 15, 2003, 8:58:32 PM11/15/03

> Wayne Boatwright writes:
>
>>PENMART01) wrote
>>
>>> There is nothing you can chop/slice quicker with a food processor
>>> that I can't do quicker and better with a knife.... remember, ya
>>> still gotta prep the food, make it fit that teensy hole, and clean
>>> up.
>>
>>Perhaps so, for you. I cannot do this more quickly by hand, and with
>>arthritis in my hands, it's a lot less painful to use the food
>>processor for large quantites.
>
> Not exposing te fact that you've a disibility right from the git-go is
> a foul... then you'd also be slower with a processor too.

Sorry, and yes, most tasks requiring a lot of hand use takes me longer.
Pulsing with a food processor, however, is less tiresome and less painful
than repetitive use of a knife. As I said before, I much prefer using a
knife and almost always do, when the appearance of the finished product
is important. Nothing beats a good knife for proper dicing and slicing.

>>> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.
>>
>>That may be true for dried breadcrumbs, but I can't envision anything
>>but mush coming out of a meat grinder if using fresh bread - certainly
>>not fine crumbs. Next time I use my meat grinder, I'll give it a try.
>
> Use a large holed plate, and since grinders pass food but once the
> results will be very homogenous, so to produce ever finer crumbs
> simply pass the crumbs through again... but I've no idea what one does
> with fine fresh crumbs. I do know that to make fine crumbs a
> processer will produce a mixture of all size crumbs, but by the time
> there are no large crumbs there'll be mostly powder. Naturally I hope
> we're not talking Wonder here, I grind fresh bread crumbs all the
> time, from crusty breads.

Yes, always *good* bread, whether I make it myself or buy it from a
bakery. I haven't had a package of "loafbread" in my house in years.
Sometime when I have my grinder out for another purpose, I will
definitely try grinding fresh bread. Obviously, not having tried it, I
can only imagine the result. Unfortunately, I can't get the image of
something other than "crumbs" coming out of it.

Wayne

PENMART01

Nov 15, 2003, 9:50:37 PM11/15/03
In article <Xns9434C1076E25...@204.127.36.1>, Wayne Boatwright
<w...@SMN.worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Sometime when I have my grinder out for another purpose, I will
>definitely try grinding fresh bread.

Whenever I grind meat I almost always pass a piece of bread through at the end
to push out the last bits.

>Obviously, not having tried it, I
>can only imagine the result. Unfortunately, I can't get the image of
>something other than "crumbs" coming out of it.

Depending on the type of bread you may get a few 'worms' but they will fall
apart as soon as you handle them. It really matters not as I don't grind fresh
bread for later use... why would anyone? Most of my fresh bread crumbs will go
into meat balls/loaf anyway, so the bread is the last ingredient pushed
through, after the meat and the veggies, and so who cares if a stray meatloaf
crumb is a bit weird.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 15, 2003, 11:30:05 PM11/15/03

> In article <Xns9434C1076E25...@204.127.36.1>, Wayne
> Boatwright <w...@SMN.worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
>>Sometime when I have my grinder out for another purpose, I will
>>definitely try grinding fresh bread.
>
> Whenever I grind meat I almost always pass a piece of bread through at
> the end to push out the last bits.
>

>>Obviously, not having tried it, I
>>can only imagine the result. Unfortunately, I can't get the image of
>>something other than "crumbs" coming out of it.
>
> Depending on the type of bread you may get a few 'worms' but they will
> fall apart as soon as you handle them. It really matters not as I
> don't grind fresh bread for later use... why would anyone? Most of my
> fresh bread crumbs will go into meat balls/loaf anyway, so the bread
> is the last ingredient pushed through, after the meat and the veggies,
> and so who cares if a stray meatloaf crumb is a bit weird.

Good points...Thanks!

Wayne

Mike Pearce

Nov 16, 2003, 1:44:45 AM11/16/03

"PENMART01" <penm...@aol.como> wrote in message
> "Mike Pearce" writes:
>

> >I cant remember the last time I used my food processor for anything other
> >than making mayonnaise. It is pretty good for that.
>
> So is a $5 tag sale blender.

True. My food processor is a hand-me-down so it cost me even less than that
tag sale blender.

One thing people use food processors for is pesto, and I can't understand
it. It comes out tasting like the prepackaged supermarket stuff. Why bother?
A mortar and pestle is the way to go.

-Mike

Curly Sue

Nov 16, 2003, 9:00:13 AM11/16/03

I love my food processor and use it for all sorts of chopping,
slicing, shredding, grating.

PENMART01

Nov 16, 2003, 11:18:01 AM11/16/03
(Curly Sue) writes:

>"Mike Pearce" wrote:

>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>
>>> There is nothing you can chop/slice quicker with a food processor that I
>>can't
>>> do quicker and better with a knife.... remember, ya still gotta prep the
>>food,
>>> make it fit that teensy hole, and clean up.

>>> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.
>>>
>>> Naturally a food processor is incapable of grinding meat, or anything
>>else.
>>>

>>I cant remember the last time I used my food processor for anything other
>>than making mayonnaise. It is pretty good for that.
>>
>>-Mike
>
>I love my food processor and use it for all sorts of chopping,
>slicing, shredding, grating.

Your threshold for acceptibility is far lower than mine.

Rick & Cyndi

Nov 16, 2003, 2:37:29 PM11/16/03
"Mike Pearce"
<snip>

: I cant remember the last time I used my food processor for

anything other
: than making mayonnaise. It is pretty good for that.
:
: -Mike

:
: ======

I/we use ours quite a bit. I tell ya Mike, if you want a really
good excuse to give yours a little exercise - make Barb's Cream
Cheese Coffee Cake(s). The entire recipe can be made in your
processor. Hmmm, speaking of which, I still have one in the
downstairs freezer... time to bring it upstairs for breakfast
this week!

Below, printed without permission, is Barb's lovely, lovely
coffee cake recipe. I use the second version because it makes 6
at a time - which takes the same amount of time to make 'just
the one' recipe.

Cyndi
(remove a "b" to reply)

Barb's Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
1st Place, Minnesota State Fair
1985, 1986, 1989, 1990!
Second Place, 1987; not entered 1988.
Bombed, 1991

Crust:
1/4 cup scalded milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour

Filling:
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour

Combine the milk, sugar, salt, and butter. Dissolve the yeast in
the warm water. Cool the milk mixture and add the proofed yeast
to it. Add the egg and flour to the yeast mixture (dough will be
soft and sticky).
Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double -- about 30-45
minutes.

Roll or pat dough into a circle and place in a greased 16² pizza
pan. With greased fingers, shape as a pizza crust.

Make filling by creaming the cheese and sugar together and adding
the egg and vanilla. Pour filling evenly over crust.

For topping, cut margarine (butter) into sugar and flour with
pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of filling. Let
raise for 30 minutes.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until brown. Drizzle with
powdered sugar icing. Cut into wedges. Serves 12-16.

NOTES: Everything can be mixed in the food processor -- and I
do. Make crumbly
topping first; mix dough, then mix filling ingredients. I always
use butter for topping and crust.
=============

For 6 coffee cakes:

Crusts:
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 egg
3-1/2 cups all purpose flour -- and likely more -- up to 3/4 cup
or so.

Filling:
3 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cup sugar
3 egge
3 tsp. vanilla extract
(optional: grated rind and juice of a lemon)

Topping:
1 cup butter
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour

I divide the dough into six parts and filling and topping
accordingly, using about 1 cup filling and maybe 2/3 cup of
topping. Use 8² disposable/reusable foil cake pans, available at
fine stores everywhere. Bake them for about 15-20 minutes.
After about 15 minutes from oven, flip them out of the pans using
two cake cooling racks. Baking them near the top of your oven
doesn't hurt them.

Oops! I only make this in the food processor. Mix the topping
first, and set it aside. Then mix the crust dough. If you have
a food processor but have never mixed dough in it, do it this
way: Using the steel blade in the work bowl, measure the flour
into the work bowl, add the egg(s) and process for about 10-20
seconds; it will look kind of mealy maybe. Gradually add the
combined liquids (milk, butter, yeast, etc., as recipe directs)
with machine running until everything is mixed and doughy. It¹s
a pretty sticky dough. Sometimes I add a little more flour at
this point so it¹s more like bread dough and sometimes I don¹t.
Mostly I do, because it's really soft and sticky otherwise. When
measuring the yeast, I don¹t quite double the amount (I use about
4 teaspoons dry yeast.). Then mix the filling.

When cool put them on 8² cardboard circles (or don't) from Maid
of Scandinavia/Sweet Celebrations and freeze in gallon-size Glad
Food Storage bags, from which you've sucked the air. They freeze
well.

I've served it and sold it. If you're doing it for yourself,
consider cutting it into wedges before freezing, then thaw only
what you'd like to eat at one time. Or, once it's frozen, cut
the wedges. Others who have served it have topped it with fresh
fruit topping. That's pretty good, too, although I prefer it
plain.

sf

Nov 16, 2003, 2:57:49 PM11/16/03
On 15 Nov 2003 22:39:01 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01)
wrote:

> A meat grinder does a far superior job, also FASTER.

Oh, be still.

A properly used food processor (pulsed) will make a good
facsimile of hand chopping in a fraction of the time.

sf

Nov 16, 2003, 3:00:05 PM11/16/03
On 16 Nov 2003 16:18:01 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01)
wrote:

> (Curly Sue) writes:
> >
> >I love my food processor and use it for all sorts of chopping,
> >slicing, shredding, grating.
>
> Your threshold for acceptibility is far lower than mine.

No matter if it's hand chopped or FP chopped.... it ends up
in the same place.

sf

Nov 16, 2003, 3:05:38 PM11/16/03
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:53:54 GMT, address...@nyc.rr.com
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:01:45 GMT, sf <nob...@pipeline.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:53 GMT, address...@nyc.rr.com
> >(Curly Sue) wrote:
> >
> >> On 14 Nov 2003 22:58:04 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >> You caught me- I diced them all!
> >>

> >Jeeze, you're precise (cutting)!
>
> I know. Even worse, most of the items were a small dice, no larger
> than the black beans! I usually ignore "dice" but felt compelled to
> do it for this recipe.

Personally, I prefer a chopped salad to be a lot finer...
1/4 of a black bean size would be better, but still not
right for me.

> >Maybe Pete threw everything into the food processor - except
> >the onion.
>
> Could be. But the reward for the tedium of dicing was a
> gorgeous-looking salad.

Sometimes, it's worth the effort to do it by hand!
I'm not a huge FP user, but I find it very handy. I
particularly like to make my pizza dough in it.

sf

Nov 16, 2003, 3:07:54 PM11/16/03
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:13:13 -0500, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

> Curly Sue wrote:

> > Could be. But the reward for the tedium of dicing was a
> > gorgeous-looking salad.
>
> There used to be a restaurant near me, I ordered their chopped salad
> often. I have no idea how they got the ham, salami, provolone,
> etc. etc. etc. to the *precise* same dice. It was a beautiful
> plate of food, I miss that a lot.

I'd certainly expect a restaurant to do it right! What
other reason would I have to pay someone else to make it for
me?

Nancy Young

Nov 16, 2003, 3:30:15 PM11/16/03
sf wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:13:13 -0500, Nancy Young

> > There used to be a restaurant near me, I ordered their chopped salad

> > often. I have no idea how they got the ham, salami, provolone,
> > etc. etc. etc. to the *precise* same dice. It was a beautiful
> > plate of food, I miss that a lot.
> >
> I'd certainly expect a restaurant to do it right! What
> other reason would I have to pay someone else to make it for
> me?

No, I do not expect such utter precision on an $8 salad dinner. It
was beautiful, but really not necessary. Not complaining.

nancy

PENMART01

Nov 16, 2003, 7:38:51 PM11/16/03
In article <0llfrvccvir6i6e47...@4ax.com>, sf
<nob...@pipeline.com> writes:

> (PENMART01)
>wrote:
>
>> (Curly Sue) writes:
>> >
>> >I love my food processor and use it for all sorts of chopping,
>> >slicing, shredding, grating.
>>
>> Your threshold for acceptibility is far lower than mine.
>>

>No matter if it's hand chopped or FP chopped.... it ends up
>in the same place.

Yep, compost.

Mike Pearce

Nov 16, 2003, 8:59:34 PM11/16/03

"Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

For one thing, I am not all that fond of cleaning my food processor. If I'm
going to use it for chopping, etc. I still need to clean my knife and
cutting board anyway so I just do it all with my knife or grater. Those
things are much easier to clean. In addition I kind of like doing things by
hand anyway. I use a knife to zest a lemon and I mix and knead bread dough
by hand.

If you like the food processor, more power to you. I'm just not that crazy
about them.

-Mike

sf

Nov 16, 2003, 9:26:38 PM11/16/03
On 17 Nov 2003 00:38:51 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01)
wrote:

> In article <0llfrvccvir6i6e47...@4ax.com>, sf
> <nob...@pipeline.com> writes:
>
> > (PENMART01)
> >wrote:

> >> Your threshold for acceptibility is far lower than mine.
> >>

> >No matter if it's hand chopped or FP chopped.... it ends up
> >in the same place.
>
> Yep, compost.

sorta.

sf

Nov 16, 2003, 9:28:46 PM11/16/03
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:59:34 -0600, "Mike Pearce"
<mpea...@coxREMOVE.net> wrote:

> If you like the food processor, more power to you. I'm just not that crazy
> about them.

I don't recall anyone mandating that you had to like them or
even own one.

She owns one and likes using it.

Mike Pearce

Nov 16, 2003, 10:31:41 PM11/16/03

"sf" <nob...@pipeline.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Pearce" wrote:
>

> > If you like the food processor, more power to you. I'm just not that
crazy
> > about them.
> >

> I don't recall anyone mandating that you had to like them or
> even own one.
>
> She owns one and likes using it.

Where the hell are you getting this "mandating" stuff from? If someone likes
using a food processor or any other kitchen gadget that's fine with me. I
was just saying that I'm not a big fan. So what?

-Mike

PENMART01

Nov 16, 2003, 11:32:12 PM11/16/03
"Mike Pearce" writes:

Food processor users are sadistic by nature... didja ever notice their drooling
evil leer as they send cucumbers, carrots, and celery sticks down the chute to
their excruciating emasculation.... for processor users, and they're
predominantly a particular type of female, it's more about power than purpose.

Mike Pearce

Nov 17, 2003, 8:19:40 AM11/17/03

"PENMART01" wrote in message

> Food processor users are sadistic by nature... didja ever notice their
drooling
> evil leer as they send cucumbers, carrots, and celery sticks down the
chute to
> their excruciating emasculation.... for processor users, and they're
> predominantly a particular type of female, it's more about power than
purpose.

My ex-wife loved the things. I wonder... <g>

I don't know that I'm quite as passionate about food processors as you seem
to be, but I can imagine pulling out one of those things to slice a carrot
or a cucumber. Even for slicing quantity, I'll pull out my cheap plastic
mandolin which is much simpler to clean.

-Mike

blake murphy

Nov 17, 2003, 9:44:55 PM11/17/03
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<w...@SMN.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I haven't had a package of "loafbread" in my house in years.
>

>Wayne

where are you from, wayne? i don't often hear the term 'loafbread.'

your pal,
blake

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 17, 2003, 11:20:35 PM11/17/03
blake murphy <bla...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

Growing up I lived in St. Louis, Memphis, and NE Ohio, the last where I
spent most of my life until moving to AZ several years ago. My family is
originally from NE Mississippi.

Wayne

blake murphy

Nov 18, 2003, 6:06:50 AM11/18/03
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:20:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<w...@SMN.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>blake murphy <bla...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> <w...@SMN.worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't had a package of "loafbread" in my house in years.
>>>
>>>Wayne
>>
>> where are you from, wayne? i don't often hear the term 'loafbread.'
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>Growing up I lived in St. Louis, Memphis, and NE Ohio, the last where I
>spent most of my life until moving to AZ several years ago. My family is
>originally from NE Mississippi.
>
>Wayne

i think i've only seen this term in novels by t.r. pearson, set in the
fictioanl town of neely, north carolina. great word.

your pal,
blake

PENMART01

Nov 18, 2003, 8:50:29 AM11/18/03
<S>Wayne</S> Bubba Hillybilly Boatbaby writes:

>Growing up I lived in St. Louis, Memphis, and NE Ohio, the last where I
>spent most of my life until moving to AZ several years ago. My family is
>originally from NE Mississippi.

Bubba H. Boatbaby!

Ahahahahahahahaha. . . .