Key Lime Pie

Craig P

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Any highly recommended recipes?

LisaSimmo

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
someone posted this awhile back....it looks great.....

Lisa

Key Lime Pie w/Coconut crust

3 eggs
1/2 c. key lime juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c. whipping cream
1 tbsp. rum
2 tbsp. sugar

Separate eggs. Beat yolks with lime juice and add to condensed milk. Beat
egg
white until stiff and fold in egg mixture. Pour filling into cooled coconut
crust.
Whip the cream adding the sugar and rum. Spread on top of pie.

COCONUT CRUST
2 tbsp. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. shredded coconut

Mix together and spread evenly on bottom and sides of pie pan. Bake in 300
degree
oven 15 minutes until light brown. Cool.

Key West Coconut Lime Pie

COCONUT CRUST:
3 c. finely shredded coconut
5 tbsp. melted butter

FILLING:
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
1 env. unflavored gelatin
5 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
3 tbsp. light rum
1 tbsp. Cointreau
Grated peel of 2 limes
5 egg whites
3 drops green food coloring
1 c. whipping cream, whipped
Slivers of lime peel & additional
whipped cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread a thin layer of coconut on cookie sheet
and
toast about 7 minutes, until light brown. Reserve 1/2 cup for garnish.
Combine
remaining toasted coconut with melted butter, toss to coat well. Press firmly
on
bottom and sides of 9" pie plate, cover lightly and refrigerate until firm.
Combine
lime juice and gelatin in heat resistant cup. Place cup in simmering water and
heat
until gelatin is liquified, 2 to 3 minutes. Combine egg yolks and sugar in top
of
double boiler, beat with electric mixer. Add gelatin and continue to beat
until well
blended. Place over simmering water and beat until mixture is thick enough to
leave
a path when finger is drawn across spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat
and
cool. Blend in Cointreau, rum and lime peel. Beat whites in a large bowl
until soft
peaks form. Blend in green color and 1/2 cup sugar, beat until stiff and
glossy.
Stir 1 heaping teaspoon egg white into cooled custard; mix well, then gently
fold
custard into whites with a large rubber spatula, blending lightly to create
marbled
effect; do not over fold. Gently fold in whipping cream. Spoon filling into
the
chilled crust, mounding and swirling in terraced layers, into a domed effect.
Refrigerate until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and lime peel or thin lime.
Can
be frozen. Garnish later.

cindy

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
i always make the simplest recipe, and everyone loves it.

stir together 1/2 c. key lime juice, a 14 1/2 can sweetened condensed
milk and 3 egg yolks till smooth. turn into lightly baked 8 or 9 inch
graham cracker crust. for safety's sake, bake at 350 for 10 minutes,
cool at room temp 10 mn. before serving. the original recipe omits any
baking.

cindy

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
oops. i mean cool 10 minutes at room temp before refrigerating. serve
cold with whipped cream, of course.

Skatty05

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Here is one that I make. Please let me know if you make it and like it. I want
some positive feedback once in awhile.

Key Lime Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs - 6
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick melted butter or margarine

Blend first four ingredients in a mini prep, stir in butter, press in Pam
sprayed pie plate.

Filling

8 ounces cream cheese

1 can sweetened condensed milk

3 egg yolks
1/2 cup lime juice

Soften cheese, mix together, adding lime juice last. Pour in graham cracker
crust. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

C. Pergunas

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
cindy wrote:

> stir together 1/2 c. key lime juice, a 14 1/2 can sweetened condensed
> milk

(etc.)
Cindy, there's a typo but I can't figure out which way it was supposed
to go. What is
"a 14 1/2 can"?
Carole

--
Someone dies. Someone nearly dies. Someone is reborn. Someone takes a
fall.

merli...@my-deja.com

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
I tried your recipe today. Came out great. I even topped it with a
meringue and baked it an additional ten minutes to brown the tops .
Tastes and looks great.

In article <19991118204001...@ng-ci1.aol.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Skatty05

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

>I tried your recipe today. Came out great.

Thank you, thank you. That makes it easier to respond when someone is looking
for a recipe.