shipping cookies (tried & true recipes)

Maria

Feb 23, 2002, 7:33:59 PM2/23/02
I want to send some cookies to a friend, so I did a little "research"
on the net, and found out the kind of cookies that ship well: bars,
rice krispies treats, brownies, etc.
I'd like to ask you all to share your "tried & true" recipes from
cookies you sent and were received well. I have a lot of recipes (I
collect recipes but never cook, go figure...) but I only tried a few.
I think I already have the packing part figured out, from the
information I found, but any tips on that would also be very welcome.
Thanks!!!

Maria

D. D. Jacobson

Feb 23, 2002, 8:14:56 PM2/23/02

Maria wrote:

> I want to send some cookies to a friend, so I did a little "research"
> on the net, and found out the kind of cookies that ship well: bars,
> rice krispies treats, brownies, etc.
(snip!)

Don't have a recipe, but a method of packing. When I was stationed
overseas, I used to get shipments of Mom's chocolate chip cookies. She
wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap (no big ZipLoc baggies back then),
and put them in a box stuffed with fresh popcorn (lightly salted). The
boxes got kind of big, though--there were about 4 inches of popcorn
cushioning the cookies on all sides. Not many broken ones, IIRC.

The popcorn was fine eating, too.

zxcvbob

Feb 24, 2002, 5:11:17 PM2/24/02
Biscotti ship well. I always make a few batches at Christmas and send
them to my inlaws. I usually make them with the zest of a whole
grapefruit instead of the lemon, lime, and orange. And I bake them on
parchment instead of a greased cookie sheet.

Best regards,
Bob

--

Almond Biscotti

1 1/3 C Almonds (unblanched) 4 eggs
2 3/4 C Flour grated zest of 1 lemon
1 2/3 C Sugar grated zest of 1 lime
1/2 tsp Salt grated zest of 1 orange
1 tsp Baking powder 1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Anise

Toast almonds for 10-15 minutes at 350°. Sift dry ingredients into
mixing bowl. Lightly beat eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients,
along with almonds, anise, and zest. Mix well by hand. Do not
overbeat; dough will be sticky and lumpy. Shape into 3 “logs”, bake on
greased cookie sheet at 350° for 35 minutes. Slice into 3/4” slices
with serrated knife while still warm (but not hot). Bake again at 300°
for 10 minutes.

Ladyvmh2000

Feb 26, 2002, 12:47:25 AM2/26/02
In article <a309b151.02022...@posting.google.com>,
mar...@hotmail.com (Maria) writes:

These are my very favorite cookie. They are soft and ship well. They actually
get better when they are a few days old. This was the recipe my Grandma used.
She has been gone almost 31 years but when I bake these it brings back some
wonderful memories.
Vickie

MY GRANDMA'S OATMEAL COOKIES

1/2 cup soft shortening (do not use butter or margarine)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup molasses
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cup Old Fashioned Oats (do not use quick cooking oats)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)

Beat together shortening, sugar, eggs and molasses.
Stir together flour, salt baking soda and cinnamon and blend in with sugar
mixture.
Stir in oats, nuts and raisins.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet and drop by rounded teaspoons about 2" apart.
Bake at 400 ē for 8-10 minutes until very lightly browned. ( If they brown to
fast bake at 375 ē. Watch them carefully.)

These cookies are actually better when they are a few days old.