Favorite tomato sauce recipes?

petunia

Dec 30, 2001, 12:02:06 PM12/30/01
I'd like to start making my own tomato sauce, so I'd like to know what are
people's favorite, fairly simple, tomato sauce recipes. Also, can they be
frozen and if so, in what type of container.

Thanks!

petunia

hahabogus

Dec 30, 2001, 12:46:03 PM12/30/01
"petunia" <spr...@starpower.net> wrote in

do a search at google for Harry D's tomato sauce...excellent stuff. Been
posted several times here over the last year. Highly adaptible too.

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 30, 2001, 1:08:51 PM12/30/01
"petunia" <spr...@starpower.net> said:

My favorite tomato sauce recipe of all time is one that Harry Demidavicius
has posted many times. It's one of those foods that's so good, you moan
when you eat it. I heartily recommend Harry's sauce. I freeze mine in
those plastic Glad containers. You can even heat the sauce in the
microwave, right in the container.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Harry's Tomato Sauce

Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :2:15
Categories : food processor sauces/gravies

1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (my addition)
28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced

1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
processor until emulsified.

2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash them.
Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be quite thick &
look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When it starts to
bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about 90 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into a sauce.

3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir in
the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings and
remove from heat.

4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the refrigerator in
tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"rec.food.cooking"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Dec 30, 2001, 2:33:27 PM12/30/01
Here are two, HTH. :)

Ariane

I posted Harry D.'s recipe for Tomato sauce to MCFL, and
people seemed to like it a lot. It keeps/freezes well, and it's very
flavorful.

Basic Tomato Sauce
by Harry Demidavicius (I _think_ I spelled that correctly)

1 28 oz. can Italian tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
3 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt, or to taste

1 cup dry red wine

Blend onion, garlic, carrot, celery, oil and all spices in a food
processor until emulsified.

Empty tomatoes into a large saucepan over medium heat and mash them.
Stir in pureed vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be quite
thick and look reddish with traces of green and yellow visible. When
it starts to bubble, turn down the heat and simmer uncovered 30-40
minutes, stirring occasionally until has reduced and blended into a
sauce.

Add in wine and continue to simmer a few more minutes. Stir in
parsley, simmer 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning and
remove from heat. Serves 4.

Notes: I use a lot more garlic and less oregano, and I also add
basil. I use less red wine, too, and simmer for longer as I find the
flavor improves that way, plus I prefer a thicker consistency. This
freezes nicely, I use those quart size plastic containers that yogurt
comes in.

Here's another one I like, too. It's from Epicurious.com.

Spicy Tomato Sauce

3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. dried basil
3/4 tsp. dried marjoram
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 28 oz. cans of Italian tomatoes
1 cup canned crushed tomato with added puree (I often just use the
whole can and slightly increase the amount of spices)
1/2 cup dry red wine

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic,
oregano, basil, marjoram and red pepper flakes. Cook until onion is
translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add remaining
ingredients; simmer gently, uncovered until sauce thickens and
measures 8 cups total. Break up tomatoes with spoon and stir
occasionally, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Makes 8 cups.

Notes: Epicurious also has a good recipe for lasagna using this sauce
as a base. If you want, you can brown some Italian sausage, drain it
and add it to the sauce and it's great. If you do, this doesn't
require much (if any) additional salt, I usually don't add any more.
I haven't tried freezing it, but I don't know why that wouldn't work.

kswck

Dec 30, 2001, 6:09:09 PM12/30/01
a quick suggestion: if putting in a plastic container and freezing: spray the
inside w/cooking spray first-wont ruin the container.

Harry A. Demidavicius

Dec 31, 2001, 2:38:54 AM12/31/01
I tried it with the fennel at last. It's neat, Dams!
HAD

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 31, 2001, 2:49:53 AM12/31/01
Harry A. Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> said:

>I tried it with the fennel at last. It's neat, Dams!

If you say it's good, it must be. Thank for the feedback, Harry!

Carol

Sheryl Rosen

Dec 31, 2001, 12:00:38 PM12/31/01
In article <3C311A41...@optonline.net>,