Too much chilli

Andy

Feb 4, 2006, 5:41:42 PM2/4/06

Can anyone recommend any way to take some of the edge off my red hot
chilli con carne? I was a little over zealous when adding chilli powder
(3 tsp when one would have done just fine), and have managed to make
something that is actually painful to eat; there's very little
discernable taste to the thing, it just stings...

I've tried adding more bulk and liquids (tomatoes and stock), but was
wondering if anyone here had any special tips they might be willing to
share... A quick Google suggests adding black olives to absorb the
excess chilli.. is this worth trying?

Many thanks,

Andy

jay

Feb 4, 2006, 5:57:19 PM2/4/06

Degrease well, that is where a lot of heat is hiding. Add a little
vinegar and some canned kidney beans and black beans. Ice cream for
desert.. (:

Tara

Feb 4, 2006, 6:25:30 PM2/4/06

I would add beans and more stock. Could you make a bland batch of
chili and mix the two together?

You could serve the hot chili over baked potatoes or cornbread to
balance out the heat. Don't forget the sour cream! Dairy is
cooling.

Tara

J...@underthewagon.org

Feb 4, 2006, 6:30:48 PM2/4/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:41:42 +0000, Andy <an...@pod4.org> wrote:

3 tsp (assumed to be teaspoons, level or heaped)?
'Chilli Powder' or Cayenne (or equivalent)?
In how much meat & beans, by weight?

Regards
JonH

Nancy Young

Feb 4, 2006, 6:40:24 PM2/4/06

"Andy" <an...@pod4.org> wrote

> Can anyone recommend any way to take some of the edge off my red hot
> chilli con carne? I was a little over zealous when adding chilli powder
> (3 tsp when one would have done just fine), and have managed to make
> something that is actually painful to eat; there's very little
> discernable taste to the thing, it just stings...

I've done the same thing and asked here as well ... in the end,
what did help was just giving it time, it mellowed after a couple
three days in the refrigerator.

nancy

Arri London

Feb 4, 2006, 6:59:15 PM2/4/06

LOL no such thing as too much chile. Three teaspoons of supermarket
chile powder wouldn't normally be very hot.
But try adding a little bit of sugar; it confuses the taste buds
sufficiently. Otherwise try adding potatoes which would also confuse the
taste buds.

modom

Feb 4, 2006, 7:12:39 PM2/4/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:41:42 +0000, Andy <an...@pod4.org> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend any way to take some of the edge off my red hot
>chilli con carne? I was a little over zealous when adding chilli powder
>(3 tsp when one would have done just fine), and have managed to make
>something that is actually painful to eat; there's very little
>discernable taste to the thing, it just stings...

Three teaspoons of chili powder in a whole pot of chili doesn't seem
like enough. But I eat chiles more than many who post here. What
sort of chili powder are you using?

>I've tried adding more bulk and liquids (tomatoes and stock), but was
>wondering if anyone here had any special tips they might be willing to
>share... A quick Google suggests adding black olives to absorb the
>excess chilli.. is this worth trying?

I've never heard of this fix, and I'm alarmed that somebody thinks
it's a good idea. If it has olives in it, one ought not call it
chili. I'm with the others who have suggested adding more meat. You
need to spread those capsaicin particles out farther so you get fewer
in a given spoonful.

modom

Dee Randall

Feb 4, 2006, 7:23:28 PM2/4/06

"Arri London" <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message

If it were too hot for me, I'd serve it over rice. A bite of chili, a bite
of rice; or mix together when eating from your bowl.
Dee Dee

Karen AKA Kajikit

Feb 4, 2006, 7:32:22 PM2/4/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:12:39 -0600, modom <mo...@nonkoyote.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:41:42 +0000, Andy <an...@pod4.org> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend any way to take some of the edge off my red hot
>>chilli con carne? I was a little over zealous when adding chilli powder
>>(3 tsp when one would have done just fine), and have managed to make
>>something that is actually painful to eat; there's very little
>>discernable taste to the thing, it just stings...
>

>>I've tried adding more bulk and liquids (tomatoes and stock), but was
>>wondering if anyone here had any special tips they might be willing to
>>share... A quick Google suggests adding black olives to absorb the
>>excess chilli.. is this worth trying?
>
>I've never heard of this fix, and I'm alarmed that somebody thinks
>it's a good idea. If it has olives in it, one ought not call it
>chili. I'm with the others who have suggested adding more meat. You
>need to spread those capsaicin particles out farther so you get fewer
>in a given spoonful.

I put a can of olives into the pot of chilli I made last week and
while it might not have been authentic it was pretty darned good! It
made a nice tangy contrast to the tomato and beans.

Try putting a tablespoon of sour cream into a bowl of the deadly
chilli - it'll mellow it out a lot. And serve it over rice... if it's
really deadly package it up and freeze it for a week or so - that
seems to help cut the hotness a bit too.

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

Elaine Parrish

Feb 4, 2006, 7:34:01 PM2/4/06

Well, bulk is the way to go. Making enough chili for 3 tsps of chili
powder would solve the problem.

If 1 tsp was enough, you can divide what you have now into three batches.
Make a batch with no chili powder and and mix in one of the hot batches
until you get what you want. You can freeze whatever you don't use now and
use it as "mixer" the next time.

You might try peeling a couple of red potatoes, dropping them in whole,
simmering for 10 minutes or so and then fishing them out.

If you use olives or beans or bread or potatoes, etc. to try and absorb
some of the hot, put them in cheesecloth or somesuch. They'll be easier
to fish out.

Good luck

Elaine, too

modom

Feb 4, 2006, 8:21:52 PM2/4/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:32:22 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
<kaj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:12:39 -0600, modom <mo...@nonkoyote.com> wrote:
>
>>I've never heard of this fix, and I'm alarmed that somebody thinks
>>it's a good idea. If it has olives in it, one ought not call it
>>chili. I'm with the others who have suggested adding more meat. You
>>need to spread those capsaicin particles out farther so you get fewer
>>in a given spoonful.
>
>I put a can of olives into the pot of chilli I made last week and
>while it might not have been authentic it was pretty darned good! It
>made a nice tangy contrast to the tomato and beans.

You're breaking my heart. Really. It lies in pieces on the floor.
And I weep in my soul. Olives, tomatoes, and beans! Oh my! How
could you be so cruel? What has become of kindness and human
feeling?

>Try putting a tablespoon of sour cream into a bowl of the deadly
>chilli - it'll mellow it out a lot. And serve it over rice... if it's
>really deadly package it up and freeze it for a week or so - that
>seems to help cut the hotness a bit too.

Round these parts we'd use cornbread or tortillas, not rice. The sour
cream idea seems a nice fit, though. Allegedly it will cool the burn
some.

modom

Nancy Young

Feb 4, 2006, 8:34:14 PM2/4/06

"modom" <mo...@nonkoyote.com> wrote

> On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:32:22 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> <kaj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>I put a can of olives into the pot of chilli I made last week and
>>while it might not have been authentic it was pretty darned good! It
>>made a nice tangy contrast to the tomato and beans.
>
> You're breaking my heart. Really. It lies in pieces on the floor.
> And I weep in my soul. Olives, tomatoes, and beans! Oh my! How
> could you be so cruel? What has become of kindness and human
> feeling?

(laughing) I did not put her up to it, I just sat back and waited
for you. Too funny. Just the way she said it, nice contrast to the
tomatoes and beans. Screamin riot.

No offense meant at all, Karen, it was written just so to
twist the knife in Mike's heart. Sounds tasty to me, too.

nancy

Message has been deleted

sf

Feb 4, 2006, 10:56:06 PM2/4/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:41:42 +0000, Andy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend any way to take some of the edge off my red hot
> chilli con carne? I was a little over zealous when adding chilli powder
> (3 tsp when one would have done just fine), and have managed to make
> something that is actually painful to eat; there's very little
> discernable taste to the thing, it just stings...

First of all Andy.... you can't be the age you say because your taste
buds are where I was when I was 10.

> I've tried adding more bulk and liquids (tomatoes and stock), but was
> wondering if anyone here had any special tips they might be willing to
> share... A quick Google suggests adding black olives to absorb the
> excess chilli.. is this worth trying?

Probably not.

sf

Feb 4, 2006, 10:59:10 PM2/4/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:41:42 +0000, Andy wrote:

The only way I can recommend (with a clear conscience) to take down
the heat is to make a new batch and use some of the old to "season"
it.

Wayne Boatwright

Feb 4, 2006, 11:04:43 PM2/4/06
On Sat 04 Feb 2006 03:41:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend any way to take some of the edge off my red hot
> chilli con carne? I was a little over zealous when adding chilli powder
> (3 tsp when one would have done just fine), and have managed to make
> something that is actually painful to eat; there's very little
> discernable taste to the thing, it just stings...

Oh dear. You could not possibly eat my chili. Among other things, I put
about 1/2 cup of chili powder in a pot of chili.

> I've tried adding more bulk and liquids (tomatoes and stock), but was
> wondering if anyone here had any special tips they might be willing to
> share... A quick Google suggests adding black olives to absorb the
> excess chilli.. is this worth trying?

I don't know about what the olives would do. I just know I wouldn't like
black olives in chili.

You might try making another complete batch, eliminating the chili powder
and any other intense seasonings, then combining the batches. That should
cut the hotness by half.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Bronwyn

Feb 5, 2006, 2:18:13 AM2/5/06
Some great ideas throughout this thread here to help deaden the chili
fire. I'll keep all of them in mind should I drop the chili pot in the
curry or carne. Lots of steamed white rice seems a good way to go if
you didn't want to cook up more batches.

Cheers
Bronnie

jay

Feb 5, 2006, 8:09:30 AM2/5/06
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:37:57 -0800, aem wrote:

> I don't believe that's the problem, unless you're using an exotic chili
> powder blend that I've never seen. None of the regularly available
> chili powders is hot enough for 3 tsps (that is, 1 TB) to be painfully
> hot. Unless perhaps you were making 1 cup of chili with 2 oz. of meat.

Most commercial "chili" powders are blends...(cumin, salt, chile powder,
paprika and other fillers) and that is why they are not too hot. We
buy fresh 100% chipotle chile powder..and 3 teaspoons would fire it up and
3 tablespoons would take a 5 pound pot of beef way past super hot.

I think you are right about the olive trick..waste of time and olives.

modom

Feb 5, 2006, 12:30:09 PM2/5/06
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:34:14 -0500, "Nancy Young" <qwe...@monmouth.com>
wrote:

>"modom" <mo...@nonkoyote.com> wrote
>
>> On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:32:22 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
>> <kaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>I put a can of olives into the pot of chilli I made last week and
>>>while it might not have been authentic it was pretty darned good! It
>>>made a nice tangy contrast to the tomato and beans.
>>
>> You're breaking my heart. Really. It lies in pieces on the floor.
>> And I weep in my soul. Olives, tomatoes, and beans! Oh my! How
>> could you be so cruel? What has become of kindness and human
>> feeling?
>
>(laughing) I did not put her up to it, I just sat back and waited
>for you. Too funny. Just the way she said it, nice contrast to the
>tomatoes and beans. Screamin riot.

It was funny.

>No offense meant at all, Karen, it was written just so to
>twist the knife in Mike's heart. Sounds tasty to me, too.

Lots of things taste good. I like lamb vindaloo, for example. And
pho. And tagines of various stripes. Not to mention tabbouleh, pasta
Bolognese, gulash, and curry -- these being other foods whose names
are no longer firmly connected to a specific class of recipes.

There was once a noble dish called chili, and it didn't have any
olives in it. In order to clear up any confusion about my opinions,
let me repost a chili recipe:

[begin quote]

Here's a suggestion from a Texan (who believe it or not is less
concerned with authenticity than with the possibility of good flavor
in a bowl of red):

-2 lbs chopped beef
-1 lb chopped pork (note: you can use ground meat, but the texture
will suffer. The meat will cook a long time, so cheap cuts are
preferred)
-5-6 Tblsp prepared chili powder (note: the use of 5 or so rehydrated
ancho chiles is a fine variation, and perhaps other dried red pods
would suit you better--New Mexico, cascabel,, etc. One trick to get
more and better flavor out of dried chiles is to toast them very
briefly in a hot oven or even over a gas flame, but take care not to
burn them even slightly--they'll turn very bitter. After they're
rehydrated, grind them up in the blender with some water or stock and
add them to the pot. The idea is to make the stew turn brick red
because of the chiles, not other red stuff like tomatoes ot tomato
paste or catsup or whatnot.)
-2-3 Tblsp paprika, as desired to redden the mix, and of course to
flavor it, too.
-1 Tblsp cumin seeds (aka cominos)
-1 Tblsp dried Mexican oregano
-6-8 garlic cloves, minced
-salt, as needed (note much chili powder has much salt in it already,
which is a good argument for using chile pods in stead of the blend.)
-Sugar, as needed to cut any bitterness the chiles might land onto
your dish.
-Enough beef stock (watch the salt again if it's canned) or water to
cover the meat.
-About 2 Tblsp dry masa harina mixed with enough cold water to make
it a pourable but thick fluid for thickening the chili. If masa is not
available where you are, corn meal can be substituted. Masa tastes
batter, however.
-Cayenne can be added to make the chili more picante, if desired.
Chipotle chiles also would warm up the picante factor as well as add a
tasty smoke flavor to the chile.
(Final note: all measurments above are very approximate, but don't be
chicken about spicing your chili)

Brown the meat in a large pot, but don't cook it too long or too
brown. If there's a lot of fat in the pot when the meat is pretty
well done, drain it off as you are able. Add the spices except the
salt and the sugar (are they spices?) and cover the meat with stock or
water. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and slowly
simmer for about 3-4 hours. Check it now and again to make sure it
doesn't dry out, adding liquid as necessary.

When the meat is tender, taste the liquid and adjust the spices as
needed. This is the time to add salt and sugar if you feel they are
necessary. If you find it too hot, sometimes a couple of chunks of
raw potato simmered in the juice will suck up some of the spice. When
you are satisfied with the taste, make a slurry of the masa and cold
water and add to the pot, stirring constantly to prevent lumping.
Cook it another fifteen minutes or so till it thickens somewhat.

Serve the beans on the side, so people can add them as they like to
their individual bowls of chili. Red kidney beans cooked in stock
with some cumin and garlic and seasoning meat might be right. In my
house it is usual to serve the chili with chopped onion and grated
cheese. Also warm corn tortillas would likely be well received.

You will notice that this chili is a meat dish. Any vegetables you
need will be a separate enterprise. A green salad with tomatoes and a
nice lime vinaigrette would seem apropriate, but that's just me.

Chili, by the way, makes better leftovers than anything else I know.
The flavor is much better the second day or even the third. I mention
this by way of suggesting that it can be made on a weekend when its
long cooking time might be less of a problem and then served on a
busier day.

[end quote]

Looking over this recipe, I think it'll need more spice. So bear that
in mind if you use it to make chili.

modom

Shaun aRe

Feb 5, 2006, 3:06:54 PM2/5/06

"Andy" <an...@pod4.org> wrote in message

Only thing I can think of is the juice from inside a coconut - only thing
that has worked to sooth a hellish burning mouth (raw haberos) for me ever,
and it did it well and quickly too. Might help.

Shaun aRe

Gregory Morrow

Feb 5, 2006, 4:33:41 PM2/5/06

Nancy Young wrote:

Yep, that works...took the edge off of too much heat in some gumbo I made
recently.

--
Best
Greg

Karen AKA Kajikit

Feb 5, 2006, 5:51:52 PM2/5/06
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:34:14 -0500, "Nancy Young" <qwe...@monmouth.com>
wrote:

My husband was horrified... but he went back for seconds!

(I know your chili is sacred to you Modom and I'm sorry I made you
cry... I won't mention what ELSE I've been known to put into the chili
pot - it's generally known as the 'meal from cans' :P )

modom

Feb 6, 2006, 9:48:32 PM2/6/06
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:51:52 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
<kaj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:34:14 -0500, "Nancy Young" <qwe...@monmouth.com>
>wrote:
>

>>"modom" <mo...@nonkoyote.com> wrote

>>> You're breaking my heart. Really. It lies in pieces on the floor.
>>> And I weep in my soul. Olives, tomatoes, and beans! Oh my! How
>>> could you be so cruel? What has become of kindness and human
>>> feeling?
>>
>>(laughing) I did not put her up to it, I just sat back and waited
>>for you. Too funny. Just the way she said it, nice contrast to the
>>tomatoes and beans. Screamin riot.
>>
>>No offense meant at all, Karen, it was written just so to
>>twist the knife in Mike's heart. Sounds tasty to me, too.
>
>My husband was horrified... but he went back for seconds!
>
>(I know your chili is sacred to you Modom and I'm sorry I made you
>cry... I won't mention what ELSE I've been known to put into the chili
>pot - it's generally known as the 'meal from cans' :P )

My grateful thanks for your reticence. I do not doubt for a minute
that it was good either. But why in the name of all that is holy must
it be called chili?

Try a variety of chili based on -- or approximating -- my recipe
sometime. You might like it; who knows?

modom