Black beans

Mikkel de Winther

Sep 28, 2001, 12:00:46 PM9/28/01
I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

m.
--
Movie quote of the day:
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're

Dave Cunningham

Sep 28, 2001, 1:35:10 PM9/28/01
There are some good black bean recipies on www.foodtv.com. I have tried the
following one.

Black Bean Cakes With Sauteed Rock Shrimp and Mole Sauce

I simplified the mole sauce by just using chipolte's. It was excellent.

Dave Cunningham

"Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote in message

S.Dunlap

Sep 28, 2001, 1:38:28 PM9/28/01

Mikkel de Winther <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote in message

Cuban/Nicaraguan Black Beans and Rice
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/latin/moros.html

My favorite way to use black beans.

Sandi

Billy

Sep 28, 2001, 1:46:28 PM9/28/01
"Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote:

>I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
>that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

You could make Valentine's Day cards or maybe we could COOK them?

try this....

----- Now You're Cooking! v5.32 [Meal-Master Export Format]

Title: Cuban Black Bean Soup
Categories: Soups
Yield: 4 servings

1 lb beans, dried black
1 c onion, chopped
1 tb butter
4 c water
1 beef bullion cube
12 oz ham, cooked lean
2 bay leaves
1/2 ts thyme, dried leaf
1/2 ts oregano, dried leaf
1/2 ts salt
1 pepper, dried whole red
1 c pepper, green bell; chopped
1/3 c dark rum (optional)
1 c sour cream (optional)

Sort and soak beans overnight; drain and discard soak water.

In a 4-quart pot, saute onion in butter until tender but not browned. Add
soaked beans, 4 cups water, bouillon cube, ham (cut into 4-6 chunks), bay
leaves, thyme, oregano, salt & red pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hour. Remove 1 c. beans
from stew, mash in a bowl with potato masher or fork. Add mashed beans to
stew; stir to thicken. Remove ham and dice. Remove bay leaves and red
pepper, if used and discard. Add diced meat, green pepper and rum (if
desired) to beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serve beans over rice and
top with sour cream if desired.

-----

r.j. baranick

Sep 28, 2001, 1:49:55 PM9/28/01
First, soak 'em overnite, and cook 'em
as you would any other dried bean
Then, make black bean soup;

Saute a diced onion in some oil with a bit of minced garlic.
Add 2 cans of chicken broth,
The cooked/drained black beans
2 tbs of chilii powder
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Break up the beans with a stick blender
Add water if it's too thick.
Add salt, hot-sauce, lime juice to taste.
Serve garnished with of sour cream,
and some diced tomatos
Enjoy

<RJ>

Default User

Sep 28, 2001, 2:08:12 PM9/28/01
Mikkel de Winther wrote:

> I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
> that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

What did your web search for "black beans" + recipe turn up?

For me, google showed 34,700 hits.

Brian Rodenborn

Mikkel de Winther

Sep 28, 2001, 2:36:02 PM9/28/01
"Billy" <wsto...@icx.net> wrote in message

> "Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote:
>
> >I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
> >that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?
>
> You could make Valentine's Day cards or maybe we could COOK them?

LOL!

Mikkel de Winther

Sep 28, 2001, 2:33:24 PM9/28/01
"Default User" <munged....@boeing.com> wrote in message

> What did your web search for "black beans" + recipe turn up?
>
> For me, google showed 34,700 hits.

Yeah, finding recipes is easy, but finding *GOOD* recipes is a whole
different deal. Do you want to be the guy trying 34,700 black bean recipes
just to find a good one? :-)

m.
--
Movie quote of the day:

"It's not a space shuttle launch, it's SEX."
(American Pie)

Archon

Sep 28, 2001, 3:24:10 PM9/28/01

> Yeah, finding recipes is easy, but finding *GOOD* recipes is a whole
> different deal. Do you want to be the guy trying 34,700 black bean recipes
> just to find a good one? :-)

I hate that kind of replies (search on google, look it up yourself, etc)
- as if you haven't done that already. A personal recommendation is
worth so much more (if you trust the person, hehe).

Michael Nielsen
Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg University

Project: http://www.vrmedialab.dk/~archon
Music: http://mp3.com/archon2
Website: http://www.archonia.dk

Sep 28, 2001, 3:18:49 PM9/28/01
Mikkel de Winther wrote:

> > For me, google showed 34,700 hits.
> >

> Yeah, finding recipes is easy, but finding *GOOD* recipes is a whole
> different deal. Do you want to be the guy trying 34,700 black bean recipes
> just to find a good one? :-)

Yabbut, if you have *no* idea what to do with them, that's the place to
start. You get many recipes, and can get the general feel for the types
of things you do with black beans. A huge percentage of the recipes will
for be Cuban black beans and rice, so all you have to do is read a few,
and you get the gist of what's going on.

Brian Rodenborn

PENMART01

Sep 28, 2001, 4:40:59 PM9/28/01
"Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> writes:

>I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
>that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

Unless yoose got a really tite-e-tite anal sphincter I wouldn't suggest shoving
em up yer butt... cook em of course!

Soak 2 pounds black beans over nite in lots of water and next day discard the
water. Get out an 8qt heavy SS pot and saute an entire head of chopped garlic
and two big chopped onions in 1/4 cup corn oil, add a couple-a-three bay
leaves, a chipotle or two and the soaked beans and 4qts water. Simmer sloooowly
all friggin' day... with the lid askew, so water evaporates some, but keep a
check it don't cook away. When beans are tender remove bay leaves and add two
heaping tablespoons Penzeys Adobo and keep cooking with lid removed to reduce
any extra liquid. Meanwhile in a large pan saute 6-8 pork chops. When chops
are done remove to warm place and add beans to pork chop cooking pan to deglaze
and add salt to taste. Mash, mash, mash beans (no blender) and keep a'cooking
until there is a thick bean paste. Heat up a few dozen corn tortillas and
serve with bean paste and pork chops... talk about mucho, mucho, mucho bueno!!!

Feeds 4 hongry gringo gordos... serve with, our cream, raw onion, shredded
cheddar, mission olives, avocado, y mucho cervesa... see, there is a legitimate
use for mission olives.

Sheldon
````````````

Sep 28, 2001, 4:12:25 PM9/28/01
Archon wrote:

> > Yeah, finding recipes is easy, but finding *GOOD* recipes is a whole
> > different deal. Do you want to be the guy trying 34,700 black bean recipes
> > just to find a good one? :-)
>
> I hate that kind of replies (search on google, look it up yourself, etc)
> - as if you haven't done that already. A personal recommendation is
> worth so much more (if you trust the person, hehe).

I'd be very surprised if anyone, no matter how dumb, could research
recipes for black beans on google and still have no idea what to do with
them. I think you have needlessly insulted the original poster, and
should apologize.

Not to mention the fact that asking for recipes on this news will
generally net you about a half dozen or so replies, compared to the
large number of those found on the web.

Brian Rodenborn

PENMART01

Sep 28, 2001, 4:52:05 PM9/28/01
archon aardvark writes:

>> Yeah, finding recipes is easy, but finding *GOOD* recipes is a whole
>> different deal. Do you want to be the guy trying 34,700 black bean recipes
>> just to find a good one? :-)
>
>I hate that kind of replies (search on google, look it up yourself, etc)
>- as if you haven't done that already. A personal recommendation is
>worth so much more (if you trust the person, hehe).

Yeah, but your critical response (sans recipe) is worth even less... and nobody
trusts you, fer sure, a grandma-humping douche bag!

aard*vark (noun)

[obsolete Afrikaans, from Afrikaans aard earth + vark pig]

First appeared 1827

: a large burrowing nocturnal ungulate mammal (Orycteropus afer) of sub-
Saharan Africa that has a long snout, extensile tongue, powerful claws, large
ears, and heavy tail and feeds esp. on termites and ants
---

Archon

Sep 28, 2001, 5:00:50 PM9/28/01

> I'd be very surprised if anyone, no matter how dumb, could research
> recipes for black beans on google and still have no idea what to do with
> them. I think you have needlessly insulted the original poster, and
> should apologize.

Hehe, he could easilly have had the initial question, got some info from
google (which I'm not even assuming he did as I was speaking in general
sense), and still formulated the question as "have no idea" :)

PENMART01

Sep 28, 2001, 5:04:21 PM9/28/01
In article <3BB4D9A9...@boeing.com>, Default User
<munged....@boeing.com> writes:

Achron Aardvark is a dumb putz... notice the pontificating critical bastard
left no utile info his ownself... in fact during his time here he's contributed
exactly ZERO useful cooking/food info.... his sole purpose on this planet is
how to sate his sicko appetite for fornicating with grandmas... a thin inch
away from pedophilia.

terri

Sep 28, 2001, 5:13:20 PM9/28/01
"Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote in message
Mikkel,
We love this chili. I use a medium chili powder. The chipotle pepper is
powdered, from Penzeys. I prefer to use the expazote, but oregano is an
acceptable substitute. I use homemade salt-free chicken broth - if you
are using canned broth you might want to cut back on salt.

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Pork and Black Bean Chili

Serving Size : 8
1 pound black beans
1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium onions -- chopped
5 cloves garlic -- minced
2 1/2 pounds pork -- cubed
1/3 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin -- ground
1 1/2 tablespoons oregano -- or expazote
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
chipotle pepper -- to taste
1 can plum tomatoes with juice -- chopped
3 cups chicken broth

Cook black beans according to package directions.

Meanwhile, cook onions and garlic in 2 T oil, partially covered, until
tender, about 20 minutes.

Cook pork in 2 T oil until meat has lost pink color, about 15 minutes.

Stir seasonings into pork and cook about 2 minutes. Add onions and
garlic, tomatoes with juice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring
occasionally. Reduce heat to low, simmer until pork is tender, about 1
1/2 hours.

Stir cooked and drained black beans into chili, simmer 10 minutes and
serve.

=terri

terr...@execpc.com

Denise Borgen

Sep 28, 2001, 7:17:18 PM9/28/01
Speaking of GOOD black bean recipes, several years ago I found a recipe
in Sunset magazine for black beans with turkey and chipotle peppers. It
was in their lowfat feature and it was delicious.

I wanted the recipe recently and I can't find it. Does anyone have a copy?

Alan Zelt

Sep 28, 2001, 7:52:08 PM9/28/01
Mikkel de Winther wrote:

> I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
> that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?
>
> m.

We made this one, and liked it very much.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cuban Black Beans

Recipe By : Michael Gottsuo(11/7/98)
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cuban Dinner
Lunch Rice
Vegetables Beans

1 lb Black Beans -- rinsed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large yellow onions -- finely chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 green peppers -- finely chopped

Put beans in large pot with 6 cups of water. Soak overnite.

Bring beans to boil over high heat; turn to low and let simmer. Skim off
any foam that forms while cooking. Cook uncovered until tender(about 1/2
hour).

Meanwhile, in skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Saute onions, green
peppers, and garlic until soft(about 5-10 minutes). Stir in cumin and
oregano. Cook about 1 minute. Turn off heat, and set aside.

Set colander over large bowl; and drain beans. Return beans to put with
three cups of the liquid.. Add onion mixture, bay leaf, and brown sugar.
Bring to a boil. Lower heat simmer covered for about 30 minutes. Season
with salt and cook covered until beans are soft(about another 30
minutes).

Remove bay leaf; and stir in red wine vinegar, pepper and olive oil.
Serve hot over white rice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"The pleasure of the table reigns among other pleasures, and it is
the last to console when others are lost."
--Brillat-Savarin

JennevineHau

Sep 28, 2001, 11:08:30 PM9/28/01
I need to know the nutrition of the black bean, and the recipe.

JennevineHau

Sep 28, 2001, 11:16:22 PM9/28/01
I need the nutrition of Black Bean and the recipe.

Madwen

Sep 29, 2001, 12:33:28 AM9/29/01
In article <S91t7.1407$Mk2.1...@news000.worldonline.dk>,

"Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote:

> bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
> that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

I always use black beans in my chili and bean soups. And I am
especially fond of refried beans made with black beans.

Madeline

Cyndi

Sep 29, 2001, 2:12:52 AM9/29/01
Valentine Cards? Is this for pasting on really tanned cupids?

Sorry... too late for me to be sneaking around on the computer. My
half-sincerest apologies... shoot. Gotta go!

--
Cyndi

Victor Sack

Sep 29, 2001, 6:34:58 AM9/29/01
Mikkel de Winther <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote:

> I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
> that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

Try feijoada completa, a Brazilian national dish. Here is a good recipe
from <http://www.brazzil.com/p24nov96.htm>.

Victor

Feijoada completa
Brazilian black beans

from the book Delightful Brazilian Cooking

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight, drained
1 lb. salt pork, boiled for 5 minutes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 lbs. Portuguese sausage (linguiça) or Italian sausage
1 lb. smoked lean ham hocks
2 lbs. corned beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 fresh orange, washed very well, cut in half
2 quarts water
6 oranges, peeled, sliced

Heat the oil in a large, heavy, deep pot and stir-fry the onion and
garlic for 1 minute or until light golden brown. Add the beans, salt
pork, Portuguese sausage, ham hocks, corned beef, salt, black pepper,
bay leaves, halved-orange and water. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or
until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if
needed. Serve with sliced oranges, manioc meal with butter and eggs,
Brazilian rice, collard greens, vinaigrette sauce, and cachaça
(Brazilian spirits) cocktail. Serves 8-10.

Vinaigrette sauce (molho de vinagrete)

1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
4 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 fresh red cayenne peppers, finely chopped (optional)

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well and serve either
at room temperature or cold. Serve over meat and beans. Makes 3 cups.

Collard greens (couve refogada)

2 tablespoons canola oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bunches collard greens, washed, shredded
1 teaspoon salt

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic until light
golden brown. Add the collard greens and salt. Stir-fry over medium-high
heat for 3 minutes or until greens are tender; do not overcook. Serves
4-6.

Brazilian rice (arroz brasileiro)

4 tablespoons canola oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups white long grain rice, washed, drained
4 cups boiling water
1 bay leaf
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a 4 quart pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry the
onion and garlic until golden. Pour in the rice and stir for 2 to 3
minutes. Add the water, bay leaf, tomatoes and salt. Return to a boil
and continue stirring until almost all the water is evaporated, about 5
minutes. Cover the pot and reduce the temperature. Simmer for 20 minutes
or until the rice is cooked. Serves 4-6.

Manioc meal with butter and egg

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 eggs
2 cups manioc flour
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the onion until golden
brown. Add the eggs and scramble until firm and separated in small
pieces. Add the manioc meal, parsley, salt and pepper, stirring well
until lightly browned. Serve with any bean dish. Serves 6-8.

Cachaça (Brazilian spirits) cocktail

2 tablespoons sugar
2 fresh limes, finely grated and squeezed
1 cup cachaça or white rum
1 cup crushed ice

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, grated lime peel and lime juice. Let
stand for 5 minutes. Add the cachaça. Pour the cocktail mixture into
small glasses filled with ice. Serves 4.

MareCat

Oct 1, 2001, 12:49:17 AM10/1/01
"Mikkel de Winther" <mikke...@SPAMworldonline.dk> wrote in message

> I bought some dried black beans a couple of days ago, and I just realized
> that I have no idea what to do with them.. Any ideas?

Many of our local Mexican/Tex-Mex places serve black beans in place of the
usual refried beans or charro beans (I prefer black beans).

Our favorite way to prepare them is to saute some chopped onion and garlic
in olive oil, throw in a couple of cans of black beans (in your case, you'd
soak the beans, let simmer til tender, then throw them in), add some chopped
tomato, chopped jalapeno, chopped cilantro (can leave out if you don't like
cilantro), a pinch each of cumin and oregano, juice of half a lemon, and
salt and pepper to taste, and let simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Mary
--
http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

Michael Edelman

Oct 1, 2001, 8:06:39 AM10/1/01
PENMART01 wrote:

First the obligatory infantile spew:

> "..Unless yoose got a really tite-e-tite anal sphincter I wouldn't suggest

> shoving
> em up yer butt... cook em of course!
>
> Soak 2 pounds black beans over nite in lots of water and next day discard the
> water. Get out an 8qt heavy SS pot and saute an entire head of chopped garlic

> and two big chopped onions in 1/4 cup corn oil...

Corn oil?

I guess it's pretty clear he never actually *made* this. As usual, he copied
someone else's recipe, just inserting obscenities to personalize it ;-)

Michael Edelman

Oct 1, 2001, 8:16:28 AM10/1/01
Madwen wrote:

All good suggestions. One of my favorites is a traditional recipe called
"Moros y Christos", which is black beans and rice.

There's a good recipe in Miriam Ungerer's "Good Cheap Food" (which I don't
have handy) and at
http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/beans-grains/00/rec0046.html
--
-----------------------------------
Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net

Barry Grau

Oct 1, 2001, 4:00:59 PM10/1/01
Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<3BB85C4F...@spamcop.net>...

What's the problem with corn oil? It seems to be the default oil among
my Latino neighbors.

-bwg

PENMART01

Oct 1, 2001, 5:20:12 PM10/1/01
barry...@yahoo.com (Barry Grau) writes:

>Michael "Know Nothing Bag O' Wind" edelWEENIE wrote.

>> PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>> First the obligatory infantile spew:
>>
>> > "..Unless yoose got a really tite-e-tite anal sphincter I wouldn't
>suggest
>> > shoving
>> > em up yer butt... cook em of course!
>> >
>> > Soak 2 pounds black beans over nite in lots of water and next day discard
>the
>> > water. Get out an 8qt heavy SS pot and saute an entire head of chopped
>garlic
>> > and two big chopped onions in 1/4 cup corn oil...
>>
>> Corn oil?
>>
>> I guess it's pretty clear he never actually *made* this. As usual, he
>copied
>> someone else's recipe, just inserting obscenities to personalize it ;-)
>
>What's the problem with corn oil? It seems to be the default oil among
>my Latino neighbors.

But of course. Most all Latinos prefer corn oil for cooking, when they're not
using lard. Quality Spanish EVOO is reserved for salad. I've prepared that
black bean w/pork chop recipe at least once a week, for the past forty (40)
some odd years. . . it's my very favorite dish in all the world. I've made it
using pan-fried beef burgers as well as with chicken also Besides, I've posted
it here before, a few times. Thank you, Barry. Fuck you, edleWEENIE.

Mikkel de Winther

Oct 1, 2001, 7:25:56 PM10/1/01
"PENMART01" <penm...@aol.como> wrote in message

I made this (well, almost this) for dinner today and it was pretty good.
Thanks!

m.
--
Movie quote of the day:

- "I'd like to be the father-to-be."
- "You can't be the father and the brother! That's the kind of thing that
messes kids up!"
(Home Fries)

Michael Edelman

Oct 2, 2001, 2:27:17 PM10/2/01
PENMART01 wrote:

> But of course. Most all Latinos prefer corn oil for cooking, when they're not
> using lard. Quality Spanish EVOO is reserved for salad. I've prepared that
> black bean w/pork chop recipe at least once a week, for the past forty (40)
> some odd years. . .

Sure you have, Shelly. And served it to all your imaginary friends at your tea
parties, too!

Sheryl Rosen

Oct 2, 2001, 11:18:21 PM10/2/01
In article <d612af77.01100...@posting.google.com>,
barry...@yahoo.com (Barry Grau) wrote:

Absolutely!
The Stop and Shops in Bridgeport (huge Latino community, from Puerto
Rico and other Caribbean nations, South and Central America, as well as
Mexico) all regularly have corn oil, big whopping jugs of it,
LaSpagnola, I believe is the brand, $3.99 everyday. And they PROUDLY
have signs up in the windows proclaiming that low everyday price.

The stores in the neighboring towns, which are not anywhere near as
diversely populated, don't even carry corn oil in that size container.

It is the cooking oil of choice among all the Latinos I know (and I have
to say, I know quite a few, from all socio-economic groups, btw, and I
ADORE their food!!!!). The Cuban family next door go thru a big jug
every 4-5 weeks! I see it in the dumpster!

--
Sheryl
~~Live like there's no tomorrow