eggnog bread recipe-AT LAST!

C. J. Fuller

Dec 11, 2000, 8:03:28 AM12/11/00
You'd think that after making this stuff for 17 years, I'd have the
ingredients memorized by now. I refreshed my memory and made a batch
yesterday. The SO doesn't believe it's the holiday season until I've made
at least one loaf. This came from Southern Living, December '83. What I
like about this recipe is that it's flexible and can take numerous
substitutions. I normally use oil in place of the melted butter or
margarine to save time and at least one dish. Those of you who don't like
the candied cherry/peel concept can substitute dried fruits (cranberries
and apricots are especially good). Almonds or walnuts can be substituted
for pecans. The nutrition cop in me uses light eggnog in place of the
regular stuff with no loss in moistness or flavor.

Eggnog Bread
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 c. eggnog
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. candied red and green cherries
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in medium mixing bowl. In a
separate large bowl, mix eggs, sugar and melted butter well. Add flour
mixture and eggnog to egg mixture alternately, beginning and ending with
flour mixture. Stir in raisins, candied cherries, and pecans. Pour
batter into 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch greased and floured loaf pan. (I usually
skip flouring the pan.) Bake in preheated 350° oven for 1 hour 10 minutes
until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack
10 minutes, then turn out of pan to cool completely. One loaf.

Enjoy!
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller