First Course?

Krushdiva

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Help, my boyfriend's family is coming for dinner next weekend and I need
suggestions for a first course. Whenever I go to their house for a
get-together they always have the traditional italian pasta w/sauce, meatballs
and sausage and then the regular meal. So I want to have something but I'd
like to do something different but not as heavy since the meal I'm serving is
ham, mashed potatoes, greens, etc. Maybe some kind of soup would be good. Let
me know what you guys think. Thanks!

-Jana

Mr. Bill

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
krus...@aol.com (Krushdiva) wrote:
>get-together they always have the traditional italian pasta w/sauce, meatballs
>and sausage and then the regular meal.

The pasta meatball combo would be my entire meal...but to each their own...

>So I want to have something but I'd
>like to do something different but not as heavy since the meal I'm serving is
>ham, mashed potatoes, greens, etc. Maybe some kind of soup would be good.

Try this one....it is very good and would taste good with the ham dinner...

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Creamed Carrot Soup
Categories: Soups
Yield: 8 Servings

5 tb Butter
4 Onions, chopped
4 c Carrots, sliced
4 tb Flour
5 c Beef broth
3 1/2 c Milk
1 Pinch salt
1 Pinch pepper

Melt butter and saute vegetables until onions are clear. Blend in
flour. Mix in broth and stir until smooth. Simmer covered 30
minutes. Put soup through blender to puree. Stir in milk. Adjust
the seasonings. Stir until hot, but not boiling. Ladle into bowls.

MMMMM

Goomba

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
to Mr. Bill
Just to clarify .. that first course of pasta traditionally isnt the whole meal,
nor is the serving size so large that you'd mistake it for such. It is a part of a
meal.
Goomba

Dimitri G Criona

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99

Krushdiva wrote in message <19990220083800...@ng-fd1.aol.com>...

So I want to have something but I'd
>like to do something different but not as heavy since the meal I'm serving
is
>ham, mashed potatoes, greens, etc. Maybe some kind of soup would be good.
Let
>me know what you guys think. Thanks!
>
>-Jana

Hi there;

Been thinking about your first course and what goes well with ham. My first
thought was a cream of asparagus soup with home made croutons but cream
soups can be heavy and filling.

I would suggest an apple-red cabbage Cole slaw. It's easy to make before
hand - holds well, is very cleansing to the pallet and can make a nice
presentation when served in lettuce cups. You can easily garnish with a few
walnuts.

Regards,

Dimitri

Alan Boles

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Dimitri's salad idea sounds good but will it be enough how about Soup with
the salad...

Dimitri G Criona <DIMI...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
:
:Krushdiva wrote in message

:
:

Mimi Hiller

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Krushdiva wrote:

> Help, my boyfriend's family is coming for dinner next weekend and I need
> suggestions for a first course. Whenever I go to their house for a
> get-together they always have the traditional italian pasta w/sauce, meatballs
> and sausage and then the regular meal. So I want to have something but I'd

> like to do something different but not as heavy since the meal I'm serving is
> ham, mashed potatoes, greens, etc. Maybe some kind of soup would be good. Let
> me know what you guys think. Thanks!

How about a simple salad of mesclun and warm goat cheese with a good
vinaigrette?

Or if you think they would be more amenable, this is an excellent soup
Nancy Dooley shared with us several years ago...everyone who's tried it
has praised it.

Cream of Chicken Soup with Wild Rice

8 oz. uncooked wild rice (1 1/3 C.)
1 3-1/2 pound fryer chicken, cut up
7 C. water
12 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 T. cooking oil
1 C. chopped onion
1 C. chopped celery
2 T. instant chicken bouillon granules*
3/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 C. butter
3/4 C. all-purpose flour
4 C. milk
3/4 C. dry Sherry

*I used Superior Touch Chicken Base and it was heavenly.

Cook wild rice according to pkg. directions for 30 minutes; drain
off liquid and rinse thoroughly. Set partially cooked rice aside.

In a large saucepan, combine the chicken and water. Bring to
boiling, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is
tender.

Remove chicken from broth and let stand until cook enough to
handle.

Skim fat from broth. Strain and reserve broth.

Remove chicken meat from bones. Cut into bite-size pieces.

In the same saucepan, cook celery and onion in hot oil for 4-5
minutes; add mushrooms and cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until
everything is tender, stirring now and then. Remove from heat.

Return broth to the saucepan.

Add the partially cooked wild rice to the chicken broth mixture.
Stir in the bouillon granules and white pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce
heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

In a large separate saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until
it all clings together and is smooth. Add the milk all at once and stir
and cook until it's bubbly and thick. Add some hot broth mixture to the
white sauce mixture and stir until smooth; return all to the broth
mixture.

Stir in the chicken pieces and the Sherry.

Heat through.

Makes 8 servings.

regards,
-- Mimi (to reply, delete "nospam" from email address)

Mimi Hiller (mi...@cyber-kitchen.com) Visit Mimi's Cyber Kitchen!
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ . The most comprehensive food-related site
has a new look and easier to use. Enter our grand reopening contest!

Mimi Hiller

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Mimi Hiller <mi...@nospam.cyber-kitchen.com> spake unto us, saying:

> >Cream of Chicken Soup with Wild Rice
>
> <nummy recipe snipped>
>
> Chicken Wild Rice Soup is great with a sprinkling of sliced almonds. Gives
> it a delicate crunch, and looks nice when presented.
>
> Thanks for the recipe, Mimi! I've been buying this stuff for years ... now
> I can make my own.

Better thank Nancy Dooley...I got it from her!

And definitely make this...it's so easy, you'll wonder why you didn't do
it before.

It's great for company, but I make it for the middle of the week just
for us.

JANIC412

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
Here is a recipe that I served guests when I made a ham dinner recently.

Carrot and Apple Casserole

Carrots about 2 medium per person, peeled and sliced into medium rounds
Apples about 2 or 3 peeled and sliced into med. thickness ( I used Red
Delicious)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBS. cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 TBS. butter
1/2 cup orange juice

Cook carrots in water until crisp tender (do not over cook). Drain. Mix carrots
and apples in a casserole dish. Cocmbine sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
Sprinkle over the carrot-apple mixture. Dot with butter then pour the juice
over all. Bake uncovered 350º for about 1 hour. Use all of the topping, it may
look like a lot but it isn't. Jan

fudge

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Well, how did the dinner go? Any burps or flatulence afterwards and did they
all clean their plates and eat everything that wasn't nailed down. I would
have suggested a prociutto (Spelling) and melon ball first course.

Farmer John