? Easter Dessert

mrs_cruella

Mar 26, 2002, 1:31:56 AM3/26/02
What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make
me resort to "Peeps S'mores!"

Living in the land of cows.

Damsel in dis Dress

Mar 26, 2002, 1:53:07 AM3/26/02
mrs_cruella said:

>What are you making for dessert for Easter?

I'll probably make a cheesecake-pecan pie. It became an all-time favorite
after the first one I made.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesecake-Pecan Pie

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cheesecakes pies

---Crust---
1 stick butter -- chilled
2 cups flour
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sour cream
---Cheesecake Layer---
8 ounces cream cheese
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
---Pecan Pie Layer---
1 1/4 cups pecans -- coarsely broken
3 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Crust:
Place flour in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is the size of
small peas. Add egg, salt, and sour cream. Stir with a fork until pastry
forms a ball (or use food processor).

Divide into two parts. If making a single crust pie, refrigerate or freeze
one portion for another pie.

Wrap in plastic and chill until stiff enough to work with (approximately 45
minutes). When ready to use, roll pastry thinly (about 1/8 inch).

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cheesecake Layer:
With an electric mixer, whip the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until
fluffy. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.

Pecan Pie Layer:
Sprinkle the pecans over the cheese mixture. Beat the eggs with an
electric mixer until foamy. Add the corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, and salt
and mix well. Pour over the pecans.

Bake until center of pie is firm, about 55 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

VARIATION
Cheesecake-Almond Pie (J. Helman):
Substitute sliced almonds for the pecans, and almond extract for the
vanilla.

Yield:
"1 9-inch pie"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : After baking, the pecan filling will be on the bottom, the
cheesecake layer will be on top of that, and the nuts will form a crunchy
topping. This is a very rich pie. Cut those pieces small!
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/

Denise~*

Mar 26, 2002, 2:46:02 AM3/26/02
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 06:31:56 GMT, mrs_cruella wrote:

>What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
>ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
>dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make
>me resort to "Peeps S'mores!"

This got inhaled when I made it the last time for a pot-luck & It
always gets compliments.

It's perfect for Easter!

5 layer Pistachio Dessert

1 cup flour
1 cube Margarine or Butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
8 oz cream cheese softened (not "soft" cream cheese)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cool whip (from a 9 oz package of cool whip)
3-4 bananas
2 - 3 oz packages of pistachio instant pudding
(or any other flavor if you desire)
2-1/2 cups of milk.

First layer:

mix together
1 cup flour
1 cube Margarine or Butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Spread into a 9" X 13" pan, bake at 325 for 10 minutes

Allow crust to cool

Second layer:

mix together
8 oz cream cheese softened (not "soft" cream cheese)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cool whip (from a 9 oz package of cool whip)

Spread mixture onto crust

Third layer: sliced bananas (little circles)
spread generously onto second layer

Fourth layer:

mix together
2 - 3 oz packages of pistachio instant pudding
(or any other flavor you desire)
2-1/2 cups of milk.

let set only slightly before pouring over bananas.

Fifth layer

Top with remaining cool whip (or as much as you want)

You can sprinkle finely chopped walnuts on the top of the cool whip if
you would like

Denise & Brian (and little puffs of feathers: Spaz & Bobbi)
EDD "Indi" 06/04/2002

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Mar 26, 2002, 5:28:37 AM3/26/02
wrote:

>What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
>ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
>dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make
>me resort to "Peeps S'mores!"

I'll be making my traditional pumpkin cheesecake (it was my traditional
Thanksgiving dessert, but my family likes it sooo much that it is now
tradition for both Thanksgiving and Easter). The recipe for the cheesecake
is at http://www.annepmitchell.com/Recipes/cheesecake.html
There is also a recipe there for a very easy, very yummy ham glaze, if
anyone is interested, at http://www.annepmitchell.com/Recipes/glaze.html

Last year I also made a lemon layer cake with coconut frosting (as that in
fact screamed "Easter" to me last year :-)) This year I'll be making some
sort of light cake with a white chocolate based frosting, as we have
someone among us who is allergic to chocolate.

Anne

I am: Mom, Attorney, Professor, Advocate for Fathers and Against Spam
http://www.annepmitchell.com
Resources on intuitive parenting, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and more
http://www.intuitiveparenting.org

Goomba

Mar 26, 2002, 9:34:15 AM3/26/02
mrs_cruella wrote:

> What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
> ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
> dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make
> me resort to "Peeps S'mores!"

Doesn't a trifle sound good? It does to me. Maybe with lemon curd as
well as custard?? Hmmmmmmm... raspberries maybe? Oh yeah.. I think I'm
on to something here....
Goomba

Arri London

Mar 26, 2002, 10:22:10 AM3/26/02

We don't generally do a dessert after a large meal like
that. Cut-up fruit is always on the table. Later in the
afternoon there will be Easter breads and pastries along
with the coffee.

Megan

Mar 26, 2002, 10:32:45 AM3/26/02
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:55:07 GMT, Pat Meadows <p...@meadows.pair.com>
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

>On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 06:31:56 GMT, mrs_cruella wrote:
>
>>What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
>>ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
>>dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make
>>me resort to "Peeps S'mores!"
>>

>I'll be making 'lemon cheesecake' - non-fat. You could
>easily change the recipe if you don't want it non-fat,
>though.
>
>I'll put (frozen, thawed) raspberries on top of it, or make
>a raspberry puree and use that as a sauce.

I'm noticing a lemon and raspberry theme here - something to cut the
sweetness of all that chocolate.

I was thinking of making a chocolate cake to take away to a friends
house this weekend, but I'm thinking lemon sponge might be better...

Megan
--
Megan Farr Montgomery Wolverhampton, England

Lille kat, lille kat, lille kat på vejen
Hvis er du, Hvis er du
Jeg er sgu' min egen
- Piet Hein

Diana

Mar 26, 2002, 10:21:49 AM3/26/02
I always make something with fresh strawberries. Perhaps a strawberry
pie this year?

Diana

Nancy Dooley

Mar 26, 2002, 12:04:12 PM3/26/02
shed...@stop.mail-abuse.org (Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.) wrote in message news:<91DD14685shede...@204.152.184.108>...

> wrote:
>
> >What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging

We are "making" our way to a nearby restaurant for brunch ;-)

For home-made, though, I don't think it could possibly be an
"official" Easter at our house without a lamb cake (or bunny cake -
the mold is the same, the difference is in the decorating). It uses a
pound cake mix, iced with Swiss or Italian meringue, sprinkled
liberally with coconut, pink-icing inside the ears, and Easter grass
and jelly beans sprinkled around. In addition to being festive, it
tastes good ;-) Sometimes, I cut it horizontally into 2 or 3 layers
and use raspberry or strawberry jam between the layers. Lemon curd
would be good, too.

N.

Damsel in dis Dress

Mar 26, 2002, 3:20:35 PM3/26/02
My dessert plans have changed. We're now going to my sister's for Easter.
She has requested my mom's cheese pie. Kathy hasn't had it since the last
time Mom made it (pre-1984). So I'm making one of those and bringing it
along.

Mom got the recipe from a high school friend of hers, Mitsu Yamaguchi.
Here's the recipe, if anyone would like to try it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Cheese Pie

Recipe By :Damsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : desserts pies

1 graham cracker crust
----pie filling----
12 ounces cream cheese
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
----sour cream topping----
8 ounces sour cream
3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Prepare graham cracker crust in 9-inch pie pan.
2. Combine other above ingredients with mixer and pour into crust.
3. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
4. Spread sour cream topping over baked pie and return to oven for 10
minutes.
5. Chill at least 5 hours before serving.

Source:
"Pat Zastera"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Graham Cracker Crust

Recipe By :Damsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies

1 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs -- finely crushed
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft butter

1. In plastic bag, finely roll 1 Stay Fresh Pack graham crackers, or use
food processor.
2. Combine crumbs, sugar, and butter. Blend well with fork or pastry
blender.
3. Using back of large spoon, press crumb mixture inside 9-inch pie plate
to coat bottom and sides evenly.
4. BAKED CRUST: Bake at 375F for 8 minutes; set on wire rack to cool.
NO-BAKE CRUST: Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes before using. Fill with
your favorite chilled pie filling or freeze for ice cream pie.

Source:
"Honey Maid"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gina *

Mar 26, 2002, 4:53:39 PM3/26/02

? Easter Dessert

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Tue, Mar 26, 2002, 6:31am (EST+5) From:
mrs_cruella
What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make me
resort to "Peeps S'mores!"
---------------------
----------------------- -----------------
We're doing a white cake filled with a yummy strawberry spread. It'll be
frosted with a 7-minute frosting and coconut will be pressed onto the
sides.
We recenty had Nancy's thread about the bakery's not being able to
figure out her order, and last Sunday a dear friend brought me two jars
of his no-sugar added strawberry jam. The Fates spoke!
I'll bake the layers Thursday, and decorate it Saturday night while I
watch SNL.
Gina

BerryGirl

Mar 26, 2002, 7:26:24 PM3/26/02

This year I broke down and agreed to let my friend bring dessert, she's
bringing red velvet cake. Not traditionally Easter I wouldn't think, but
I think it will be nice.

Shopping at Penzey's is like going to a square dance competition and realizing
you forgot your underwear...

And liking it.
www.plinko.net/velvet

MH

Mar 27, 2002, 9:33:42 AM3/27/02

"Diana" <di...@texoma.net> wrote in message

> I always make something with fresh strawberries. Perhaps a strawberry
> pie this year?
>
> Diana

I think I'll make a fruit tart next weekend. That seems perfect for Ostara.

Pam

Mar 27, 2002, 10:22:50 AM3/27/02
I am making a coconut cake for my Dad who is going through chemo and a
chcolatechip cheesecake for the rest.

Pam
"BerryGirl" <Be...@plinko.net> wrote in message

muckerheide

Mar 27, 2002, 11:47:10 PM3/27/02
> From: mrs_cruella
> Subject: ? Easter Dessert

> What are you making for dessert for Easter? We won't be gorging
> ourselves on candy, and I am just not finding the lemon-y/fruit-y
> dessert that screams "Easter" to me. Any thoughts? Please don't make
> me resort to "Peeps S'mores!"

Which reminds me of an "dessert" someone brought last Easter. She (as an
admittedly tacky joke) brought a big brandy snifter containing a 2" layer
of blue jello, and into which had been planted several yellow peeps. Had
green coconut around the edges of the pond....whole effect was a giggle.
Made my torturous coconut lamb cake look almost natural.

aec

Apr 1, 2002, 2:42:17 PM4/1/02
muckerheide <mucke...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<B8C80B58.1E6CC%mucke...@attbi.com>...

Great idea! I'll have to remember that one. ;-)
I made a big 3-layer checkerboard chocolate frosted cake - not very
"Eastery". But everyone wanted chocolate (like there was going to be
a shortage, eh?). Then I let the kids decorate it with the yellow
PEEPs and the pink and blue rabbits sent from home. It was pretty
baroque...but they loved it.

Then the children made lunch today. Amelie, 8, made Tomato and Red
Pepper Salad with Indonisian Chicken. The chicken was delicious! The
sauce was tomatoes with garlic, soy sauce, onions, cloves and nutmeg.
Unusual and tasty. We didn't end up eating until about three in the
afternoon, but it was her first lunch, and Dad was helping when she
asked for it, which was almost never. Cameron, 9, made the dessert -
banana slices on flaky pastry, baked in the oven and then covered with
apricot jam when they came out of the oven. Really tasty. All the
recipes were out of cookbooks for children, but I was surprised at how
good they were - easy to make and just plain good.
I'm trying to make sure they learn the basics of cooking while they're
young - I really knew nothing about cooking until I was way too old
and it shows in my abilities and my weight. Maybe if they see how
easy (and fun!) it is to make a good meal, they won't end up as part
of the fast food sect...
Anne

mrs_cruella

Apr 1, 2002, 9:01:58 PM4/1/02
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 06:31:56 GMT, mrs_cruella wrote:

Thanks for all of your ideas! I ended up making the individual Lemon
Charlottes with Lemon Curd & Candied Lemon Peel for the most recent
edition of Bon Appetite.

Hope the Easter Bunny was good to you!

Don and Wendy

Apr 2, 2002, 12:50:20 PM4/2/02
anne.c...@bull.net (aec) wrote:

[snip, only to shorten for readability]

> Great idea! I'll have to remember that one. ;-) I made a big 3-layer
> checkerboard chocolate frosted cake - not very "Eastery". But everyone
> wanted chocolate (like there was going to be a shortage, eh?). Then I let
> the kids decorate it with the yellow PEEPs and the pink and blue rabbits
> sent from home. It was pretty baroque...but they loved it.
>
> Then the children made lunch today. Amelie, 8, made Tomato and Red Pepper
> Salad with Indonisian Chicken. The chicken was delicious! The sauce was
> tomatoes with garlic, soy sauce, onions, cloves and nutmeg. Unusual and
> tasty. We didn't end up eating until about three in the afternoon, but it
> was her first lunch, and Dad was helping when she asked for it, which was
> almost never. Cameron, 9, made the dessert - banana slices on flaky
> pastry, baked in the oven and then covered with apricot jam when they came
> out of the oven. Really tasty. All the recipes were out of cookbooks for
> children, but I was surprised at how good they were - easy to make and just
> plain good. I'm trying to make sure they learn the basics of cooking while
> they're young - I really knew nothing about cooking until I was way too old
> and it shows in my abilities and my weight. Maybe if they see how easy
> (and fun!) it is to make a good meal, they won't end up as part of the fast
> food sect... Anne

I like your style! Forgive an old timer intruding but as I'm listening to a
compilation of downloaded music from the Net. The present one is "Don't
impress me much" by Shania. Very catchy!

Most people seem to have forgotten the ancient art of passing on cooking
skills on to their children. Record changed. Tina Turner "Simply the best".
Boy what power!

Sorry, Although I'm not local or even regional I agree entirely with your
sentiments. It appears that fast food is the norm. It's time people woke up
to the concept that they they are their children's guardians, and theirs is
the responsibility that will ensure that they grow up happy. So many fall by
the wayside it disturbs me :-(

We fortunately still have parents who spend that vital time with their loved
children. I'm not maudlin, just impressed!!

God bless,

Don

We're now on "Down cry for me Argentina" by Elaine Page. Superb song.
--
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus