Chili Recipe from Sunday

Mary f(pud) and Bernie

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

I'm not the best with how much I use for ingredients, and since
special friends were visiting and were helping out, we didn't bother
to measure. So here it is (I've named it too :-) ).

Sue and Mary's chili:

3/4 cup or so of ancho chili paste.

3 pounds of Round steak or rump roast gound up to a coarse grind
in the food processor (not as fine as ground beef).
2 Large yellow onions chopped.
3 tablespoons olive oil.
9 -10 cloves garlic crushed
1 packet of prepared chili mix (I used McCormicks HOT).
3-5 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons new mexican chili powder (SUE what was the brand ?)
1-2 cups water

salt
1 T cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon (mabye two of oregano)
2 T worchestersire sauce
1 32 ounce can of crushed, peeled, tomatoes

Cooked pinto beans:

Heat the oil in a large stock pot. When hot add the onions, and stir
turn down heat and let them simmer on low for about 1/2 hour, stirring
now and then, you want them to just turn brown. Add the ground meat
and stir it around. Add garlic and stir well. The meat will take 20
minutes or so to brown. Add the chili powders and about 1-2 cups
of water, you want enough water to moisten it, but not make it soupy,
so it can simmer without drying out. Simmer with lid off for about
20 minutes.

Heat about 1/2 cups water to boiling, take 3-5 dried ancho chilis, pour
boiling water over and let sit for 30 minutes or so. Pull of stems
and shake out some of the seeds. Put in blender or food processor
with about 1/2 of the water and blend until smooth. By itself this
stuff tastes bitter, but don't worry.

Add ancho chili paste, stir well, let simmer 10 more minutes (it
should be thickening). Taste for salt, add just a tad if needed, because
it will cook longer and the salt will concentrate. Add the
of cocoa powder, cumin, oregano and tomato sauce.

Stir and cook for 5-10 minutes (lid still off). Add the beans and
their liquid (which should not be much). cover, almost (leave a crack
for steam) and cook another (what was it Sue hour or hour and 1/2?).

We started it around 5 and ate at 8 or so. It turned out not super
thick, still had enough juice you could mop up with french bread, and
was really one of the best chili's I've ever made. Had just the right
bite. Of course you add what you need for the bite :-). And stir it
every 5-10 minutes.

Beans:

about 3/4 cup of pinto beans washed and picked over for rocks (And I
did find 2 rocks! :-) ). Put beans in a pot, cover with water (about
1/2 inch over, 2 bay leaves and a strip of salt pork (about 6 inches
by 1/4 inch). Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and cook on low for
30 minutes, check the beans and add water if needed. Keep on a low
simmer until semi tender to the bite, not mushy but still hold their
shape. It Think I started them at 3:00 and they were done by 5:00 or
5:30 and still had 1/2 -3/4 cup of liquid. Remove the bay leaves and
salt pork before adding to chili. If you don't want to add the beans,
but serve them separately, cook them longer, to your desired tenderness
and season with salt and pepper.

Okay, hope that warms your winter :-). Now Sue, did I forget anything?

I know I forgot, have some good friends have them add seasonings to the
pot and taste test and have some wine :-).
--
Mary f. (hey...cut that out...these are jeans, not a tree trunk,
although, Bernie does call them sticks!)
|,4- -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~''(_/~~' `-'\_)
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (hey, Simba, look mom is part
scratching post!! Keeeewwwwl!)
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

Sue Hutt

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:44:04 -0800, " Mary f(pud) and Bernie"
<ma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Stuff deleted!

>2 tablespoons new mexican chili powder (SUE what was the brand ?)

It is The Spice Hunter. I got it at Fresh Fields.( Actually it's
California Chile pepper. Anaheim)

>Stir and cook for 5-10 minutes (lid still off). Add the beans and
>their liquid (which should not be much). cover, almost (leave a crack
>for steam) and cook another (what was it Sue hour or hour and 1/2?).

I have no idea! We were so busy gabbing. I didn't notice the time!

>Okay, hope that warms your winter :-). Now Sue, did I forget anything?

The chili was excellent. Mary served it in earthenware bowls, along
with guacamole,grated cheese and sour cream.

My only regret is, I didn't take any home! Mary offered but I
declined. I really wanted some Monday!

>I know I forgot, have some good friends have them add seasonings to the
>pot and taste test and have some wine :-).
>-

Thanks for everything Mary.

Sue
-----
I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food!

Mary f(pud) and Bernie

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

And we had onions too to top the chili with :).

--
Mary f. (hey...cut that out...these are jeans, not a tree trunk,
although, Bernie does call them sticks!)
_ _
( \ / )
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (Disguised as Road Kill for Halloween ;-))
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf