Pavlova & Deliciously Wicked Chocolate Cake

1 view

LadyJane

Apr 8, 2006, 3:10:24 AM4/8/06
As I mentioned in Appetisers Again.... baked two desserts for a dear
friend's birthday tomorrow.
Here is the pavlova... undressed and cooling in the pan:
http://tinypic.com/t8b6de.jpg
and here is the chocolate cake (still cooling too) before splitting,
filling and icing
http://tinypic.com/t8b6yx.jpg

hopefully will take a snap or two before departing tomorrow so I can
share the finished result

Am feeling very pleased with myself...

Here's the pav recipe

6 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup castor sugar
2 Tblsp cornflour
2 tsp white vinegar

Preheat oven to 200ºC
Grease a large springform pan and dust with cornflour, tapping off
excess.
Sift sugar, cornflour and cream of tartar.
Using an electric mixer (hey I am not a sadist!!) beat egg whites until
glossy and stiff peaks form.
Gradually add the sugar/flour/c of t and continue beating well after
each addition.
Drizzle the vinegar over mixture and gently fold through using a
spatula.
Pile mixture into springform pan and put in pre-heated oven.
Immediately reduce heat to 120ºC and bake for 1¼ to 1½ hours.
Should be ever so slightly golden.
Leave pavlova in oven to cool, with door ajar.

Top with:
(my choice) macerated fresh peaches, hulled strawberries, sliced (I
peel the fruit and use an egg slicer) kiwi fruit, passionfruit atop
huge - I mean HUGE - dollops of whipped cream (add 1 Tbls
icing/confectioner's sugar to stablise the cream - or do as I am doing
and use high-cholesterol, high calorie, hugely delicious double
cream!!)
Dust with icing sugar and/or chocolate curls.

May your arteries never clog!

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

graham

Apr 8, 2006, 10:02:05 AM4/8/06

"LadyJane" <ladyjan...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

As I mentioned in Appetisers Again.... baked two desserts for a dear
friend's birthday tomorrow.
Here is the pavlova... undressed and cooling in the pan:
http://tinypic.com/t8b6de.jpg

I make mine free-form but they look like yours:-) However, they are so
fragile - I wonder what the commercial ones have in them to make them a bit
stronger.
I used to live in Perth and some delis would make them to order for you but
I was never that lazy:-)
BTW if your pav really breaks up, use it to make Eton Mess. Break it into
walnut-sized pieces and mix with strawberries and whipped cream just before
serving.
Graham

Kathy in NZ

Apr 9, 2006, 1:26:12 AM4/9/06
On 8 Apr 2006 00:10:24 -0700, "LadyJane" <ladyjan...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>As I mentioned in Appetisers Again.... baked two desserts for a dear
>friend's birthday tomorrow.
>Here is the pavlova... undressed and cooling in the pan:
>http://tinypic.com/t8b6de.jpg

I've never made pavlova in a tin. I always put the mixture directly on
the oven tray.

Wouldn't the sides be soft, baked in a tin?

Kathy in NZ

LadyJane

Apr 9, 2006, 6:36:04 AM4/9/06
It's now 8.30pm Sunday evening. The day was brilliant!
Luncheon was for 12... no mean feat in an inner city stuio terrace
townhouse!
Our hostess was well prepared. Crab, dill, creme freche, lime & caviar
or avocado & macadamia appetisers in miniature pastry cases to start.
Main course was fabulous: Morroccan Chicken; roasted veg (beans,
parsnips, potatoes, capsicum, pumpkin, small salad onions; tossed green
salad with fetta and black olives and loads of crusty pane de casa -
with plenty of fantastic Aussie reds and whites to suit each
individual.
(Note: if spelling is off, is more than likely due to the fact I have
been quaffing great wines (some of which we provided) for the best part
of 6 hours!!!)
Then to dessert -
the Pavlova http://tinypic.com/talfm0.jpg
and the Chocolate cake http://tinypic.com/talfuw.jpg (which is a bit
out of focus - only remembered to snap some pics about 30 seconds
before scarpering out the door!!)
Both went down a treat - and sadly, none left over for our hostess to
enjoy later this evening or tomorrow!

And Kathy, no, the sides of the pavlova weren't soft.. the springform
tin worked really well (first time I've tried this method) and will
certainly use it again rather than the free-form, schlooped in the
middle of a baking sheet. It held together remarkably well - we had to
travel 40 minutes to get there and it still looked marvellous. Was
tempted to take the unfilled pav, and fillings, and compile there, but
didn't want to intrude on kitchen space.
NB: I greased the tin well, then dusted base & sides with cornflour,
then (for good measure) I used a round of baking paper which I placed
over the base and reclipped the outside onto base (trapping the paper
and not having it up the side of the tin).
Allowed to cool in oven. Stored in airtight container overnight.
Removed from tin, trimmed excess paper and placed into a suitably sized
quiche dish for serving.
The chicken was delicious - am going to bombard our hostess with emails
until she sends me the recipe!! Once obtained will post in rfc. <nudge,
nudge, wink, wink>

Melba's Jammin'

Apr 9, 2006, 8:05:41 AM4/9/06
In article <1144578964.3...@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
"LadyJane" <ladyjan...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

The pavlova is beautiful, LJ! Cake, too, be the pav especially.
Congratulations.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

LadyJane

Apr 9, 2006, 4:34:31 PM4/9/06
Aww,,,, thanks for your kind comments Barb!

Kathy in NZ

Apr 13, 2006, 1:39:35 AM4/13/06
On 9 Apr 2006 03:36:04 -0700, "LadyJane" <ladyjan...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>And Kathy, no, the sides of the pavlova weren't soft.. the springform
>tin worked really well (first time I've tried this method) and will
>certainly use it again rather than the free-form, schlooped in the
>middle of a baking sheet. It held together remarkably well - we had to
>travel 40 minutes to get there and it still looked marvellous. Was
>tempted to take the unfilled pav, and fillings, and compile there, but
>didn't want to intrude on kitchen space.
>NB: I greased the tin well, then dusted base & sides with cornflour,
>then (for good measure) I used a round of baking paper which I placed
>over the base and reclipped the outside onto base (trapping the paper
>and not having it up the side of the tin).
>Allowed to cool in oven. Stored in airtight container overnight.
>Removed from tin, trimmed excess paper and placed into a suitably sized
>quiche dish for serving.

Thanks for the directions. I will try this method next time I make a
pav. Bought pavs are so uniform, they're obviously made in a tin or
somesuch, but I've never dared try myself.

Kathy in NZ

Miche

Apr 16, 2006, 5:53:44 PM4/16/06
In article <xnPZf.8355$_u1.6648@pd7tw2no>, "graham" <g.st...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

> BTW if your pav really breaks up, use it to make Eton Mess. Break it into
> walnut-sized pieces and mix with strawberries and whipped cream just before
> serving.

That's a favourite dessert in our house, although we make it with
broken-up meringues rather than pavlova.

And then there's the variation we make with raspberries instead of
strawberries, which goes by the name Un-Eton Mess! ;)

Miche

--
WWMVD?