REC: Fruitcake

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 13, 2001, 1:44:04 PM11/13/01
Here's a recipe that my mom and I developed together, using several other
recipes as reference. None of them, my themselves, was quite right. The
composite makes for a killer, traditional fruitcake.

Damsel's Fruitcake

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress and her Mom
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes Christmas/Yule
fruits

----BATTER----
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons sherry
2 1/2 cups flour
----FRUIT MIXTURE----
1/2 pound candied cherries
1 pound golden raisins
1/2 pound seedless raisins
1/2 pound currants
1/2 pound chopped pecans
1 pound mixed fruitcake fruit

Combine batter ingredients in the order given, beating in one egg at a
time. Pour batter over fruit mixture; combine well.

******************

Line baking pans with at least two layers of heavy brown paper, such as
postal wrapping paper, or grocery bags. (Instructions at end of post, if
needed) Spoon batter into pans, filling no more than 2/3 full.. Place
shallow pan of water in bottom of 300 degree oven and bake cakes until
toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean (1-1/2 hours for 1
pound cake, 2-1/2 to 3 hours for larger cakes) Remove from oven and pour
rum over cakes while still hot. When cooled just enough to handle, remove
paper from cakes and cool on a wire rack.

When thoroughly cooled, saturate with more rum (optional). Decorate tops
with candied fruits, attached to cake with corn syrup.
Examples:
*One-half red cherry in center, with thin wedge-shaped slices of green
pineapple on each side (rectangular cakes)
*One-half green cherry in center, with thin wedge-shaped slices of yellow
pineapple on each side (rectangular cakes)
*Pecan half in center, with pineapple on each end (rectangular cakes)
*One-half cherry with thin wedge-shaped slices of pineapple forming a
starburst around cherry center (round cakes)

Wrap neatly with plastic wrap, using tape to secure wrap at the bottom of
each loaf.

Baking containers:
*Any size loaf pan. I like to make tiny, individual-sized loaves for
gift-giving.
*Short coffee or sweet potato (yam) cans.

Lining baking pans:
*Cut paper to size. Be sure to allow enough to cover bottom of pan, and up
the sides.
*Mark the paper (on the side that will be away from the cake) to the size
and shape of the pan bottom.
*For a rectangular pan, cut the paper from the outside corner to the marked
corner, and stop there. Do this with all four corners. Place paper into
pan, covering bottoms and sides of pan, and wrap excess paper around
corners, inside the pan.
*For a round pan, follow the same procedure, but cut the paper from the
outside edges to the marked base of pan, cutting several times, in a
starburst-type pattern.

Yield:
"4 1/2 pounds"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Archon

Nov 13, 2001, 3:46:55 PM11/13/01

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Here's a recipe that my mom and I developed together, using several other
> recipes as reference. None of them, my themselves, was quite right. The
> composite makes for a killer, traditional fruitcake.
>
> Damsel's Fruitcake

Looks intersting. I did wonder about the mace at first. I only knew two
meanings: Tear gas and medieval weapon :)
Is the fruit mixture a fixed product mix, or do you just take what is at
hand at the given time?

Michael Nielsen
Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg University

Project: http://www.vrmedialab.dk/~archon
Music: http://mp3.com/archon2
Website: http://www.archonia.dk

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 13, 2001, 4:58:15 PM11/13/01
Archon <arc...@gvdnet.dk> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Here's a recipe that my mom and I developed together
>

>Looks intersting. I did wonder about the mace at first. I only knew two
>meanings: Tear gas and medieval weapon :)

Mace is a vile, nasty-tasting outter covering of nutmeg. I hate it. But
it works in here.

>Is the fruit mixture a fixed product mix, or do you just take what is at
>hand at the given time?

It comes in bags, pre-mixed. Maybe someone who's made fruitcake more
frequently than I have can help you out with what's in the mix.

Damsel

Hag & Stenni

Nov 13, 2001, 6:36:35 PM11/13/01
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:58:15 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

snip

>Mace is a vile, nasty-tasting outter covering of nutmeg. I hate it. But
>it works in here.

snip

>It comes in bags, pre-mixed. Maybe someone who's made fruitcake more
>frequently than I have can help you out with what's in the mix.
>
>Damsel

You cant have good Brauts w/out mace....Thats its ONLY other
use...LOL...Hag k

My golden rules

1. If it dosnt taste good or get you laid dont do it (apply your own criteria)
2. If it smells bad dont eat it.
3. When life hands you shit Grow roses!

Can the Spam to reply

Archon

Nov 14, 2001, 2:27:02 AM11/14/01

> >Is the fruit mixture a fixed product mix, or do you just take what is at
> >hand at the given time?
>
> It comes in bags, pre-mixed. Maybe someone who's made fruitcake more
> frequently than I have can help you out with what's in the mix.

What is the brand name? - maybe I can stalk out the website if there is
any.

Something like this: http://www.vinetreeorchards.com/fruitcakemix.htm
(check out their pretty marzipan figures, too)

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 14, 2001, 3:20:22 AM11/14/01
Archon <arc...@gvdnet.dk> wrote:

>> It comes in bags, pre-mixed.
>

>What is the brand name? - maybe I can stalk out the website if there is
>any.
>
>Something like this: http://www.vinetreeorchards.com/fruitcakemix.htm

Yup, that's fruitcake mix. Pretty standard stuff. I hope you'll like the
final product!

Megan

Nov 14, 2001, 3:33:18 PM11/14/01
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:58:15 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

>It comes in bags, pre-mixed. Maybe someone who's made fruitcake more
>frequently than I have can help you out with what's in the mix.

I usually use a combination of pre-mixed and single, to taste. Not a
big currant fan, like really juicy sultanas I get from the Indian
grocers, so mine has more of the latter, less of the former. I omit
candied peel altogether, because I can't stand it. Lots of Glacé
cherries is a family tradition for us.

My recipe (I can probably dig it out and post it if wanted) involves
large amounts of brandy as well.

Megan
not making one this year as I am abroad for the holidays.
--
Megan Farr Montgomery Wolverhampton, England

Lille kat, lille kat, lille kat på vejen
Hvis er du, Hvis er du
Jeg er sgu' min egen
- Piet Hein