Chocolate Brownies... give us your best recipes USA!!

Peter Watson

Apr 23, 2002, 6:10:13 PM4/23/02
If ever there was a unique USA sweet it has to be this... but I am at a loss
on a couple of recipes I have read... and for those who remember, I know I
have done this before, but.... how much is a stick of butter (oz or grams)
and 'squares of chocolate'... ??? So, can I ask for some mind numbingly
divine recipes for this cake?

Peter Watson
Australia

Damsel in dis Dress

Apr 23, 2002, 6:58:28 PM4/23/02
Peter Watson <wat...@onthe.net.au> said:

>how much is a stick of butter (oz or grams)

4 ounces

>and 'squares of chocolate'... ???

1 ounce each

>So, can I ask for some mind numbingly divine recipes for this cake?

Here's the one I use:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Fudge Brownies

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : brownies chocolate

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened (10 ounces)
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cocoa
2 cups flour

Heat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom only of 9x13-inch rectangular baking pan.
Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well
after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add baking powder, salt, cocoa, and
flour; mix just until all ingredients are moistened and mixture is smooth -
do not over-mix.

Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until
brownies just begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.

Cut into bars and serve.

Source:
"adapted from a recipe by Land O'Lakes"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:45"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/

Christine Dabney

Apr 24, 2002, 3:55:58 AM4/24/02

Here is the recipe I use. Makes an incredibly decadent brownie...very, very
rich.

Christine

* Exported from MasterCook *

Two-toned Brownies

Recipe By :by the Editors of Consumer Guide
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

1 Cup Butter -- cut in chunks
2 Cups Sugar -- plus 2 tablespoons sugar
4 Eggs
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Cocoa -- unsweetened
2 Cups Walnuts -- broken
1 Cup Flour
Filling
8 Ounces Cream Cheese
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla

Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until
smooth. Add the cocoa, flour and salt and blend til just mixed. Add the broken
walnuts and just stir til they are mixed in.

Put the cream cheese, the sugar, the egg and the vanilla in a food processor and
blend til smooth.

Pour half of the brownie batter into a greased 9x13x2inch pan. Set aside the
remaining batter. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the batter in the pan.
Spread the remaining chocolate batter over the cream cheese mixture. Swirl
slightly with a spatula or spoon.

Bake the brownies in a preheated 350 degree oven 35-40 minutes. Do not
overbake: they should still be a bit moist.

Source:
"Food Processor Cookbook"
Yield:
"18 "

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6727 Calories; 439g Fat (55.7% calories
from fat); 137g Protein; 648g Carbohydrate; 45g Dietary Fiber; 1680mg
Cholesterol; 3381mg Sodium. Exchanges: 11 1/2 Grain(Starch); 15 Lean Meat; 79
1/2 Fat; 31 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

LIMEYNO1

Apr 24, 2002, 11:03:56 AM4/24/02
a square of chocolate is 1 oz

a stick of butter is 1/4 lb or 4 oz

--
Howdy from Helen Peagram in Beautiful Stoney Creek

theli...@cogeco.ca

http://mompeagram.homestead.com/MOMPEAGRAM.html

"Peter Watson" <wat...@onthe.net.au> wrote in message

Melba's Jammin'

Apr 24, 2002, 1:07:53 PM4/24/02
In article <B8EC18E5.DBC7%wat...@onthe.net.au>, Peter Watson
<wat...@onthe.net.au> wrote:

Hi, Peter!! A square of chocolate is an ounce. Grocery store baking
chocolate (unsweetened) commonly comes in 8 oz boxes, each ounce square
being individually wrapped in parchment or foil.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

Recipe By: Barb Schaller
Serving Size: 24
Preparation Time: 0:45
Categories: Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 cup unsalted butter (8 oz. or 230g)
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (115g)
2 cups granulated sugar (15 oz.) ( didn't do that conversion)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped nuts, optional (walnuts or pecans)
1 1/3 cups cake flour (6 oz. or 170g)

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In microwave oven, on medium-high power, melt butter and chocolate in
2-quart microwave-safe bowl, about 3 minutes. Stir until smooth. Mix
in granulated sugar, then beat in eggs, one at a time, with wire whisk.
Mix in vanilla and almond. Stir in nuts. Combine cake flour, baking
powder, and salt and fold into chocolate. Spread batter in 9x13" pan
lined with baking parchment and bake in preheated oven at 350?F for
about 33-35 minutes. Do not overbake; toothpick may have fudgy crumbs
on it, but not wet batter.
----------
Notes: First Place, Plain Brownies, 1997 Minnesota State Fair.
Adapted from recipe in Cook's Illustrated magazine, March/April 1994.
Please note that I do use real chocolate, unsalted butter and cake
flour. If you do not, don't complain to me about it. And I don't
believe the nutritional analysis at the bottom of this page!

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 197 Calories; 12g Fat (51%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 58mg Cholesterol; 72mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates
_____

I made three batched of these on Monday -- one for the plumber, one for
the parts guy at the plumbing shop, and one for my dry cleaner! (The
plumber was a good guy, the parts guy worked a miracle for us, and my
dry cleaner didn't charge me $30 for cleaning/pressing my table covers!)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>, Misc tab updated 4/21/02
Mother Superior, Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina

Ranee Mueller

Apr 25, 2002, 5:03:33 PM4/25/02
In article <B8EC18E5.DBC7%wat...@onthe.net.au>, Peter Watson
<wat...@onthe.net.au> wrote:

I have a fabulous recipe from Nick Malgieri's book Chocolate. They
are called Supernatural Brownies. He is right that they are out of this
world. Use the bittersweet chocolate, it's better. They are also swell
with ice cream. As for the butter bit, a stick is 4 oz/.25 lb/8 Tbsp/.5
cup. A square of chocolate is 1 oz.

Regards,
Ranee

Supernatural Brownies

From Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers, by Nick
Malgieri.

Makes about twenty-four 2-inch-square brownies

* 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
* 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
* 4 large eggs
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup all-purpose flour

One 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan, buttered and lined with buttered parchment or
foil

1. Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350
degrees.

2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and turn off heat. Combine butter
and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over pan of water. Stir
occasionally until melted.

3. Whisk eggs together in a large bowl, then whisk in salt, sugars, and
vanilla. Stir in chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in flour.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 45
minutes, until top has formed a shiny crust and batter is moderately
firm. Cool in pan on a rack. Wrap pan in plastic wrap and keep at room
temperature or refrigerated until next day.

5. To cut brownies, unmold onto a cutting board, remove paper, and
replace with another cutting board. Turn cake right side up and trim
away edges. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares.

Serving: Serve the brownies on their own or with ice cream and hot fudge
sauce.

Storage: The best way to store brownies is to wrap them individually and
keep them at room temperature in a tin or plastic container with a
tight-fitting cover. Or freeze them.

Note: If you have a 12 x 18-inch commercial half-sheet pan, you may
double this recipe easily.

--
To e-mail me, remove donot and spam from address.
Sorry for the inconvenience, I've been getting far

Alex Rast

Apr 27, 2002, 4:13:27 AM4/27/02
In article <B8EC18E5.DBC7%wat...@onthe.net.au>, Peter Watson <wat...@onthe.net.au> wrote:

I posted this one a while back under "hyper-chocolatey brownie recipe". Beware
that these are about the most extreme chocolate brownies possible - NOT for
the faint of heart.

A note on ingredients. Use the best you can find. For the chocolate, I use
Michel Cluizel Noir Infini for special occasions: this is the best unsweetened
chocolate in the world, but horribly expensive. For more everyday eating, I
use Ghirardelli Unsweetened, still a quality brand. NEVER, NEVER use Baker's -
it's worthless, perhaps the most abominable product that any company has the
temerity to label with the word "chocolate". If that's the only brand in your
area, order online from http://www.chocosphere.com, or do without. I'm not
kidding. It's not worth slaving in the kitchen to produce a result that will
taste very disappointing - bitter and acrid - simply because of the
chocolate. On sugar, I use India Tree Dark Muscovado. This is a very dark
brown sugar - at least 3 shades darker than ordinary dark-brown.

Brownies

14 oz. (1 3/4 cup) dark brown sugar
12 oz. unsweetened chocolate
9 oz. (1 1/8 cup) white bread flour
5 oz. (10 tbsp) unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 vanilla bean
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Thoroughly grease a 9" * 9" square pan and set in
the refrigerator. Break the chocolate into small pieces, melt carefully
in a double boiler, remove from heat, and set aside to cool. Slit the
vanilla bean lengthwise with a knife and scrape the insides in a large bowl
along with the sugar and the salt. Mix well, breaking up lumps in the sugar.
Cut the butter into small squares. Mix in (a wooden spoon works great for
this) until thoroughly blended, minimizing air addition (i.e. do not cream).
Stir in the chocolate and mix until fully blended. Add the eggs, one by one,
stirring each until it is fully incorporated before adding the next. Blend
in the flour slowly - this will take some effort: the mix should have the
consistency of firm cookie dough. Spread the mixture into the pan and
smooth with a knife. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Cool completely and
cut into squares as large as you want when you are ready to serve.

Alex Rast
ar...@qwest.net
ar...@inficom.com

aec

Apr 27, 2002, 6:28:12 AM4/27/02
Damsel in dis Dress <damsel...@bigfoot.com.INVALID> wrote ...

> Peter Watson <wat...@onthe.net.au> said:
> >how much is a stick of butter (oz or grams)
> 4 ounces
> >and 'squares of chocolate'... ???
> 1 ounce each
>
> >So, can I ask for some mind numbingly divine recipes for this cake?
>
> Here's the one I use:

Peter, I converted a few more of the measurements for you. (I just
finished converting about 50 recipes, soI can't help myself!!)
Anne
ps Most of delicious recipe etc snipped!!

> Damsel's Fudge Brownies
>
> Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress

> 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened (10 ounces)
> 2 1/2 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups sugar = 16.5 oz = 475g

> 2/3 cup cocoa
2/3 cups cocoa = 4 oz = 75g
> 2 cups flour
2 cups flour = 7oz = 200g

> Heat oven to 350蚌 (175蚓).
> Butter bottom only of 9x13-inch (22x33cm)rectangular baking pan.

aec

Apr 27, 2002, 6:35:12 AM4/27/02
Christine Dabney <arti...@attbi.com> wrote ...

> Peter Watson <wat...@onthe.net.au> wrote:
>
> >So, can I ask for some mind numbingly
> >divine recipes for this cake?
>
> Here is the recipe I use. Makes an incredibly decadent brownie...very, very
> rich.
>
> Christine
> Two-toned Brownies

> 1 Cup Butter -- cut in chunks
1 cup butter = 230g

> 2 Cups Sugar -- plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups sugar = 380g

> 1 Cup Cocoa -- unsweetened
1 cup cocoa = 220g

> 2 Cups Walnuts -- broken
2 cups walnut pieces = 230g
> 1 Cup Flour
1 cup flour = 110g

> Filling
> 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
8 oz cream cheese = 225g
> 1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 cup sugar = 65g
> Bake the brownies in a preheated 350 degree (175°C) oven 35-40 minutes.

More conversions - many ingredients and recipe snipped!
Anne

aec

Apr 27, 2002, 6:46:09 AM4/27/02
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote ...

> Peter Watson wat...@onthe.net.au> wrote:
>
> > So, can I ask for some mind numbingly divine recipes for this cake?
> > Peter Watson
> > Australia
>
> Hi, Peter!! A square of chocolate is an ounce. Grocery store baking
> chocolate (unsweetened) commonly comes in 8 oz boxes, each ounce square
> being individually wrapped in parchment or foil.

More conversions: (ingredients and recipe snipped!)

> Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies
>

> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 1 cup unsalted butter (8 oz. or 230g)
> 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (115g)
> 2 cups granulated sugar (15 oz.) ( didn't do that conversion)

2 cups granulated sugar = 380g (about 13 oz, in fact)

> 1 cup chopped nuts, optional (walnuts or pecans)

1 cup chopped nuts =115g

> 1 1/3 cups cake flour (6 oz. or 170g)

bake in preheated oven at 350F (175C)

Peter - more conversions. All these brownie recipes look so good,
that I planned on converting them for myself.

I have made Barb's brownies - they were a big hit. For me they turned
out more cake-like than fudge-brownie-like, but I think it was due to
the big difference there is between French flour and US flour. The
vanilla flavor was also very pronounced in my batch, but again French
vanilla flavoring may be different from US.
They didn't last long enough for me to do any comparisons...
Anne

Peter Watson

Apr 27, 2002, 6:55:09 PM4/27/02
Thanks Mate... very kind.

Peter

Peter Watson

Apr 27, 2002, 6:57:22 PM4/27/02
in article b006ef27.02042...@posting.google.com, aec at
anne.c...@bull.net wrote on 27/4/02 8:46 PM:

probably will not in Australia too and yes I agree, French product and USA
product are very different... same for Aust/US .. I suspect we would have
product Aus/Fr very similar.

Peter