Lamb seasoning

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 9, 2010, 2:13:25 PM3/9/10
Last night we had a lamb loin roast. It was delicious.

Most of the time we season lamb with a combination of salt and pepper and
garlic and rosemary. It is always good. A few weeks back though we took a
trip to Penzey's and stocked up the herbs and spices. My wife picked up a
container of Lamb Seasoning. My thought was the usual seasonings were good
enough, but if she wanted it, I'm game too. Let me tell you, this was
fantastic.

Ingredients are oregano, rosemary, cumin, garlic, spearmint, ginger, and
probably a couple I'm forgetting. It was not easy to discerner a particular
taste of the individual spices but the total was great. If you eat lamb at
all, this is worth a try.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 3:06:45 PM3/9/10
In article <ot2dnRhhLI-eAAvW...@giganews.com>,
"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:

I wish I could afford lamb. Leg of lamb is around $8.00 per lb. around
here.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

PickyJaz

Mar 9, 2010, 3:11:34 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 11:13 am, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:
> Last night we had a lamb loin roast. It was delicious.
>
> Most of the time we season lamb with a combination of salt and pepper and
> snip-snip...If you eat lamb at all, this is worth a try.
Thanks so for the tell. I have a leg of lamb in the freezer, I have
the Penzeys' LS...never tried. I usually just stab slivers of garlic
into it all over, then S&P to roast. Now I may quit stalling and go
for a good roast this weekend!
...Picky

brooklyn1

Mar 9, 2010, 3:29:51 PM3/9/10
"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>Last night we had a lamb loin roast. It was delicious.
>
>Most of the time we season lamb with a combination of salt and pepper and
>garlic and rosemary. It is always good. A few weeks back though we took a
>trip to Penzey's and stocked up the herbs and spices. My wife picked up a
>container of Lamb Seasoning. My thought was the usual seasonings were good
>enough, but if she wanted it, I'm game too.

Hmmm, no comment. hehe

Message has been deleted

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Mar 9, 2010, 3:51:58 PM3/9/10
In article <ot2dnRhhLI-eAAvW...@giganews.com>,
"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> Ingredients are oregano, rosemary, cumin, garlic, spearmint, ginger, and
> probably a couple I'm forgetting. It was not easy to discerner a particular
> taste of the individual spices but the total was great. If you eat lamb at
> all, this is worth a try.

I don't put cumin or ginger on my lamb, generally. Or at least not
when I'm making an herb marinade. I use scallions, garlic, spearmint,
oregano, thyme, mint, maybe chives, salt, pepper and olive oil. Puree
it and slather all over the lamb. Green lamb. It is the best. When I
make the pan sauce with red wine, it gets all the bits of herbs and
garlic in it, too. So good.

I usually make harissa to serve with the lamb, and that has both
cumin and coriander in it, I just don't like it cooked into the meat
when I roast or grill it. Now, meatballs and kofta are a different
thing entirely.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Mar 9, 2010, 3:52:57 PM3/9/10
In article <ompomelet-5DE22...@news-wc.giganews.com>,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish I could afford lamb. Leg of lamb is around $8.00 per lb. around
> here.

Holy moly! The most we've ever spent on lamb, and it was because we
ran out of options, was $6.00 a pound. Usually, it's between $3.00 and
$4.00 a pound, less if we slaughter a whole lamb.

Steve Pope

Mar 9, 2010, 4:05:52 PM3/9/10
Ran�e at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>> Ingredients are oregano, rosemary, cumin, garlic, spearmint, ginger, and
>> probably a couple I'm forgetting. It was not easy to discerner a particular
>> taste of the individual spices but the total was great. If you eat lamb at
>> all, this is worth a try.

> I don't put cumin or ginger on my lamb, generally. Or at least not
>when I'm making an herb marinade. I use scallions, garlic, spearmint,
>oregano, thyme, mint, maybe chives, salt, pepper and olive oil. Puree
>it and slather all over the lamb. Green lamb. It is the best.

I personally like to rub lamb with cumin, black pepper, cayenne,
coriander, salt, granulated garlic and lemon juice. This takes it
in a slightly curry-flavored direction but I've always liked lamb
curries.

Steve

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 4:13:52 PM3/9/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <ot2dnRhhLI-eAAvW...@giganews.com>,
> "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>> Last night we had a lamb loin roast. It was delicious.
>>
>> Most of the time we season lamb with a combination of salt and pepper and
>> garlic and rosemary. It is always good. A few weeks back though we took
>> trip to Penzey's and stocked up the herbs and spices. My wife picked up
>> container of Lamb Seasoning. My thought was the usual seasonings were
>> good
>> enough, but if she wanted it, I'm game too. Let me tell you, this was
>> fantastic.
>>
>> Ingredients are oregano, rosemary, cumin, garlic, spearmint, ginger, and
>> probably a couple I'm forgetting. It was not easy to discerner a
>> particular
>> taste of the individual spices but the total was great. If you eat lamb
>> at
>> all, this is worth a try.
>
> I wish I could afford lamb. Leg of lamb is around $8.00 per lb. around
> here.
> --
> Peace! Om

I've been sick since the beginning of January. I haven't eaten lamb in
years and years. I am craving lamb. As soon as I am able to eat real food,
I'm on my way to Costco for either some of those darling little lamb chops
or a leg to do on the grill. I can't wait.
Janet

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 4:23:20 PM3/9/10
In article <fmsvjmy...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:06:45 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > I wish I could afford lamb. Leg of lamb is around $8.00 per lb. around
> > here.
>

> It's half that at CostCo. And to answer your next question: Yes.
>
> HEB's LoL is $5.99/lb
>
> -sw

Still too high. Especially right now.
If I'm going to pay that for meat, I'll by shrimp.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 4:38:19 PM3/9/10
In article <Bd6dnSaM1MWPJwvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

Why are you sick hon'? I am so sorrry. :-(

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 5:03:56 PM3/9/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thank you. Everything is better today. The sun is shining and I feel some
strength returning. Every once in a while I get a really bad bout of IBS
that I got as a result of surgery and radiation therapy. My entire
digestive tract, beginning to end seizes up, no eating or drinking without
being punished by my own body. So I sip for a couple of days and
upchuck for a couple, rinse and repeat. I'm on the mend. I've gone 6 days
without any nasty repercussions. So now I can do 1/4 cup volume per day
before the body rebels. I don't recommend this as a weight loss routine,
although it is effective.
Janet

Tracy

Mar 9, 2010, 5:21:12 PM3/9/10

Ran�e at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article <ot2dnRhhLI-eAAvW...@giganews.com>,
> "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>> Ingredients are oregano, rosemary, cumin, garlic, spearmint, ginger, and
>> probably a couple I'm forgetting. It was not easy to discerner a particular
>> taste of the individual spices but the total was great. If you eat lamb at
>> all, this is worth a try.
>
> I don't put cumin or ginger on my lamb, generally. Or at least not
> when I'm making an herb marinade. I use scallions, garlic, spearmint,
> oregano, thyme, mint, maybe chives, salt, pepper and olive oil. Puree
> it and slather all over the lamb. Green lamb. It is the best. When I
> make the pan sauce with red wine, it gets all the bits of herbs and
> garlic in it, too. So good.
>
> I usually make harissa to serve with the lamb, and that has both
> cumin and coriander in it, I just don't like it cooked into the meat
> when I roast or grill it. Now, meatballs and kofta are a different
> thing entirely.

I used to put cumin in lamb tagines, but I stopped a long time ago.
I just use ginger and garlic mostly, with coriander.

We rarely have leg of lamb. It's been a few years, but I usually
used rosemary, garlic and dijon mustard to coat it before roasting.

Tracy

Dave Smith

Mar 9, 2010, 5:33:56 PM3/9/10
Steve Pope wrote:

> I personally like to rub lamb with cumin, black pepper, cayenne,
> coriander, salt, granulated garlic and lemon juice. This takes it
> in a slightly curry-flavored direction but I've always liked lamb
> curries.

I usually rob it with salt, pepper, garlic, mint and oregano. My wife
had an interesting recipe for shoulder that was butter with garlic,
green onion and ground corriander. It was delicious.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 5:48:04 PM3/9/10
In article <3NqdnZawx4NTWAvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

Gods. That is awful.

Lighting a few candles for you and sending healing vibes!!

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 5:54:34 PM3/9/10
In article <3NqdnZawx4NTWAvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

Ps, what has helped me this week has been some eggs (2) whipped in to a
cup of Wylers bullion. Sort of an egg drop soup. Easy to digest and easy
to make. I've had IBS since I was 12 and when it flares up, it's a
bitch. Mine has only been acting up tho' for 2 weeks. Ever since I lost
my job, so I feel for you!

Sleeping ok? Not being able to sleep makes it worse. I've gone back on
Tagamet and it helps. So does Pepto Bismol even tho' it tastes vile.

On the up-side, I've dropped 10 lbs. in 2 weeks. <g>

Sweet black tea with a small amount of 1/2 and 1/2 is usually pretty
gentle too. Just nothing really solid.

I know what you mean. You feel like hell when you don't eat, and even
worse when you do! It's vicious.

gloria.p

Mar 9, 2010, 5:57:21 PM3/9/10

Can you extrapolate the use to any other meat you can think of?
It sounds good but we don't get lamb very often.

TIA,
gloria p

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 8:40:26 PM3/9/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I am so sorry to hear you are a fellow sufferer. Stress is a big no-no, so
try to mellow out. I think stress is what pushed me to the brink starting
last fall. For some reason, this time around, I can't do eggs in any form --
feels like claws digging around inside me. I'm semi successful with a small
amount of canned cream of tomato soup, but that is about as solid a food
form as I can go. The other thing that is successful is those little
crackers with peanut butter they sell at the check out counter. I can
nibble one or two crackers of the packet and that will be o.k. You've lost
more weight than I. I've lost 17 since Jan. 18. I can do a little
Gatorade. Sleep? I've been in bed most of the time with the TV on for
company and doze in between. I hope you are able to turn your situation
around soon. Take care.
Janet

Message has been deleted

Boron Elgar

Mar 9, 2010, 10:28:06 PM3/9/10

Has either of you tried dicyclomine? It has been around for years, is
a very inexpensive generic Rx med, usually taken 4x a day. Works for
me.

It is an anticholinergic and also is sold branded as Bentyl.

Sorry to share...

Boron

Pete C.

Mar 9, 2010, 10:58:57 PM3/9/10

It mostly sounds good, but I don't let mint anywhere near any lamb I
cook or eat.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 9, 2010, 11:12:14 PM3/9/10

"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

> It mostly sounds good, but I don't let mint anywhere near any lamb I
> cook or eat.

Mint is the next to last ingredient. Not noticeable at all. Had I not read
the label, I would not know it is in there.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 9, 2010, 11:13:05 PM3/9/10

"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote

> Can you extrapolate the use to any other meat you can think of?
> It sounds good but we don't get lamb very often.

I think it would be good on a pork roast too.

ChattyCathy

Mar 10, 2010, 12:42:49 AM3/10/10
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our roast
leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when I was a
kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Steve Pope

Mar 10, 2010, 2:06:37 AM3/10/10
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:23:20 -0600, Omelet wrote:

>> If I'm going to pay that for meat, I'll by shrimp.

>I'd rather have CostCo lamb than Gulf shrimp any day.

Me also.

The animal-aware report that even commercial lamb is not that
much different from the free-range stuff, in terms of life
cycle, diet, how much time spent outside, etc. The big
differences in quality that you will notice for beef,
pork, and chickens do not much apply to lamb.

And commercial shrimp... arg. There are all sorts of quality
problems there, whereas wild-caught shrimp is difficult to come by
not to mention expensive, usually.

Steve

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 9:24:31 AM3/10/10
In article <JL2dnRSOq-gTZQvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> I am so sorry to hear you are a fellow sufferer.

Ditto. It's not easy to live with sometimes.

> Stress is a big no-no, so
> try to mellow out.

But how the hell do I _not_ stress out when I am unemployed for the
first time since I was a college freshman? :-(

I'm scared.

> I think stress is what pushed me to the brink starting
> last fall. For some reason, this time around, I can't do eggs in any form --
> feels like claws digging around inside me. I'm semi successful with a small
> amount of canned cream of tomato soup, but that is about as solid a food
> form as I can go.

Cream soups should be good. Tomato won't work for me. <g>
Maybe cream of chicken.

> The other thing that is successful is those little
> crackers with peanut butter they sell at the check out counter. I can
> nibble one or two crackers of the packet and that will be o.k. You've lost
> more weight than I. I've lost 17 since Jan. 18. I can do a little
> Gatorade.

I may have to reconsider gatorade.
I tend to avoid it due to the carbs.

> Sleep? I've been in bed most of the time with the TV on for
> company and doze in between.

Been sleeping a lot to. I hear you there!

> I hope you are able to turn your situation
> around soon. Take care.
> Janet

I try very, very hard to keep a positive attitude...
Been told by one of the headhunters that I'm very marketable.
I'm also trying to learn how to become an importer, but that's a
separate thread. It's possible to start a new business on a shoestring,
especially if one is willing to risk some credit.

What is causing your stress? That is a biggie with IBS imho.
Stress and food intolerances.

I need to get more Pepto' and Tagamet today.

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 9:25:41 AM3/10/10
In article <flp6ssnj...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:23:20 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>

> > In article <fmsvjmy...@sqwertz.com>,
> > Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> >> It's half that at CostCo. And to answer your next question: Yes.
> >>
> >> HEB's LoL is $5.99/lb
> >

> > Still too high. Especially right now.
> > If I'm going to pay that for meat, I'll by shrimp.
>

> I'd rather have CostCo lamb than Gulf shrimp any day.
>

> I just bought 6lbs of jumbo shrimp for $5/lb (non-Gulf shrimp - the
> HEB brand which kicks ass). I would have rather bought lamb except
> that no busses run to CostCo.
>
> -sw

Right now, I'm sticking with chicken. It's cheaper. Fixin' to pick up
some canned veggies and beans today too. I have plenty of rice on hand.

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 9:27:48 AM3/10/10
In article <284ep5hqi19l6thvp...@4ax.com>,
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has either of you tried dicyclomine? It has been around for years, is
> a very inexpensive generic Rx med, usually taken 4x a day. Works for
> me.
>
> It is an anticholinergic and also is sold branded as Bentyl.
>
> Sorry to share...
>

> Boron

Bentyl or Levsin. I've used Levsin in the past (good stuff), but I
cannot afford to see an MD to get an Rx at the moment.

But, thank you. :-)

Right now, generic Tagamet is working. I switch back and forth between
that and Zantac.

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 9:30:02 AM3/10/10
In article <vjGln.9309$QL4....@newsfe24.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

Been thinking about it, and I have to wonder how well fresh mint leaves
would go with pork shoulder.

Pete C.

Mar 10, 2010, 9:49:05 AM3/10/10

I think it's an old marketing ploy to mask the wonderful flavor of lamb
and make it more appealing to those with less discerning palettes.

Janet Bostwick

Mar 10, 2010, 9:57:25 AM3/10/10

"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
snip

> Has either of you tried dicyclomine? It has been around for years, is
> a very inexpensive generic Rx med, usually taken 4x a day. Works for
> me.
>
> It is an anticholinergic and also is sold branded as Bentyl.
>
> Sorry to share...
>

> Boron
That's right, you're a fellow sufferer. My problem is the digestive muscle
spasms much like a charley horse. I look 9 months pregnant. Everything
turns hard and hurts. It stays that way for weeks. When the spasm finally
begins to relent, the entire digestive muscle is wounded and takes weeks and
weeks more to recover the ability to move and perform all digestive
functions. Kind of like when the gym teacher made you do all those situps?
and you couldn't move for a couple of days. My last severe bout took a year
to fully recover from. I have been taking cholestrymine as a maintenance.
I recently acquired a muscle relaxer from the doc for the next time
something severe happens and we'll see if it is possible to break the spasm
early.
Janet

brooklyn1

Mar 10, 2010, 10:18:10 AM3/10/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:12:14 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net>
wrote:

Dried mint is practically imperceptable from dried oregano, dried
marjoram, and other dried herbs in the mint family... in a seasoning
blend of herbs and spices there is no way to perceive the little bit
of dried mint. I don't like fresh mint in foods, but there is a huge
difference between dried and fresh. In the Penzeys lamb seasoning
blend I seriously doubt anyone can tell whether or not there's mint,
because not only is mint about the least abundant but all the other
ingredients are much more strongly flavored... if Penzys omitted the
mint no one would notice... is probably included as hype because most
folks think mint goes with lamb. I don't need to be concerned because
I don't eat mint nor do I eat lamb. baaaaad

Janet Bostwick

Mar 10, 2010, 10:18:26 AM3/10/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
snip

> I try very, very hard to keep a positive attitude...
> Been told by one of the headhunters that I'm very marketable.
> I'm also trying to learn how to become an importer, but that's a
> separate thread. It's possible to start a new business on a shoestring,
> especially if one is willing to risk some credit.
>
> What is causing your stress? That is a biggie with IBS imho.
> Stress and food intolerances.
>
> I need to get more Pepto' and Tagamet today.
> --
> Peace! Om
You're smart. You will get by. You have to be convinced of that. Losing a
job is a big time shock, especially if always having one is a part of your
identity. You have other things going for you, you don't need to be
identified by your job. I know you will find something else soon. Let us
know how you are doing.

My stress began when a CT scan came in last January with a little spot
(non-pathogenic) on it. I'd been having clear CT scans for several years.
Then in July my daughter and I had a big time bust up -- serious. In July,
the dog had a serious brush with death. Then in August a new CT scan showed
that the January non-pathogenic spot was gone, but there was a smidge of
something else that was non-pathogenic. Then we (husband and I) lost a
third of our income due to the economy. Then the crazy b***h lady
downstream turned us in to the Humane Society and was taking us to court for
'excessive accumulation of feces.' We had no idea what that meant. Only
that it was 60 days and or $1,000. Asking questions at the court elicited
no answers. When we told the judge (to set court date) we didn't understand
what we were being charged with, he said it wasn't his problem. We didn't
find out until discovery, several month's later, that my husband was accused
of not picking up after our dog on walks. We also found out the Humane
Society had sent 2 people out to scout the neighborhood for these piles of
poop and were unable to find anything at all. You'd think that would
warrant dropping the case, but no, the wheels of justice must grind on. So
we had to hire a lawyer to represent us. Take time off work. Finally, in
mid-November the lawyer went to meet with the judge and prosecutor and the
case was dropped for lack of evidence. That b***h downstream sics the law
in one form or another on us every 18 months or so, but this has been the
worst. There isn't a neighbor around her that hasn't had trouble with her,
but she is able to use the system -- free of charge to her and an expense to
her victim. Several neighbors have simply sold up and moved because of her
harassment. I won't.
Janet

brooklyn1

Mar 10, 2010, 10:20:38 AM3/10/10

I think lamb is more a TIAD Thing. baaaaaaad...

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 10:20:53 AM3/10/10
In article <eZCdnYHDNajLLgrW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

Geezus girl! You have it worse than I do!

I am so very sorry. Ouch!

Steve B

Mar 10, 2010, 10:23:43 AM3/10/10
I like the combination of beau monde and garlic salt. Have filed some of
the suggestions here, and may send for some lamb seasoning from Renzleys.
(Is that it?)

Steve

Ophelia

Mar 10, 2010, 10:37:01 AM3/10/10

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Oh, Janet!! What a truly dreadful time you have been having:(( I am so
sorry:(

You have certainly put my problems into perspective:(

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Dave Smith

Mar 10, 2010, 10:47:46 AM3/10/10
Omelet wrote:

>> Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our roast
>> leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when I was a
>> kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.
>
> Been thinking about it, and I have to wonder how well fresh mint leaves
> would go with pork shoulder.

Mint can be good with pork. On of my favourite BBQ grill dishes is lamb
chops that have been rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano
and fresh chopped mint. Rub it on the chops and let them sit for an hour
then grill. Delicious.

Boron Elgar

Mar 10, 2010, 10:58:49 AM3/10/10

Oh, Janet, that must be awful. It is such an odd disorder - with a
wide variety of symptoms even within the same person over the course
of a flare-up.

After having been symtomless for quite awhile, mine has started acting
up the last month. It's not a nice club to be in. I have never been
sure that stress can invariably trigger it in me, but I think almost
anything can be aggravated by stress as feeling crappy only makes adds
to other stress on the body. Chicken and egg, I suppose, at least in
my case, as I know I have had some super aggravating stressful times
in my life with no bother from the IBS and at other, seemingly calmer
periods it has flared. Quien sabe?

Sending you both my best healing thoughts.

Boron

Ophelia

Mar 10, 2010, 11:10:07 AM3/10/10

"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hootmail.com> wrote in message

.. and mine to you also.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Message has been deleted

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 11:31:00 AM3/10/10
ChattyCathy wrote:

> Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our roast
> leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when I was a
> kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.

No. I love mint with lamb.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 11:32:20 AM3/10/10

Still, Om, you have to try to chill out. Yes, do what you have to
do to get another job, but beyond that stress is just damaging. I
know this altogether too well.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 11:33:26 AM3/10/10
Omelet wrote:
> Bentyl or Levsin. I've used Levsin in the past (good stuff), but I
> cannot afford to see an MD to get an Rx at the moment.
>
> But, thank you. :-)
>
> Right now, generic Tagamet is working. I switch back and forth between
> that and Zantac.

BTW, I get colitis when I am really stressed out.

--
Jean B.

Dave Smith

Mar 10, 2010, 11:43:25 AM3/10/10
I like mint sauce. I have no use for mint jelly.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Mar 10, 2010, 11:45:38 AM3/10/10
In article <7vpvre...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
wrote:

I like mint as one of the herbs with lamb. I'm not so keen on it as
the singular accompaniment.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 11:53:19 AM3/10/10

Heh! I could say something about a more direct British heritage!
I like both, but I grew up with mint jelly. Taking things to
extremes, my daughter considers lamb to be a vehicle for the jelly.

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 11:53:59 AM3/10/10
Ran�e at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article <7vpvre...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>> Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our roast
>>> leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when I was a
>>> kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.
>> No. I love mint with lamb.
>
> I like mint as one of the herbs with lamb. I'm not so keen on it as
> the singular accompaniment.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

I am afraid I am a creature of habit in this regard!

--
Jean B.

Dave Smith

Mar 10, 2010, 11:59:08 AM3/10/10
Jean B. wrote:

>> I like mint sauce. I have no use for mint jelly.
>
> Heh! I could say something about a more direct British heritage! I
> like both, but I grew up with mint jelly. Taking things to extremes, my
> daughter considers lamb to be a vehicle for the jelly.

My surname betrays my father's family roots.... British. However, I only
remember my mother cooking lamb once. She loved it but my father hated
it. When I grill lamb chops I usually rub them with garlic and then
smear them with mint sauce and let them sit for a while before grilling.
They do not need any more as a condiment. I do use it as a condiment
with leg of lamb.

As Sheldon pointed out, mint, oregano and marjoram are all in the same
family. Oregano also goes well with lamb.

Pete C.

Mar 10, 2010, 12:14:04 PM3/10/10

I love lamb... I have no need to mask it's wonderful flavor with mint.

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 12:41:31 PM3/10/10
In article <DaGdnVBugLnZJQrW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> You're smart. You will get by. You have to be convinced of that. Losing a
> job is a big time shock,

To put it mildly.

> especially if always having one is a part of your
> identity. You have other things going for you, you don't need to be
> identified by your job. I know you will find something else soon. Let us
> know how you are doing.

I will. And thank you. I am just running scared right now and trying,
not only my field, but other things outside of my field before running
out of resources. Sales are hard but they are kinda fun. Especially if
you play with working for yourself.

Not if you and the neighbors get together with a class action lawsuit
for harassment!

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 12:44:17 PM3/10/10
In article <61gfp5pkpf6s55ju6...@4ax.com>,
Boron Elgar <boron...@hootmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, Janet, that must be awful. It is such an odd disorder - with a
> wide variety of symptoms even within the same person over the course
> of a flare-up.
>
> After having been symtomless for quite awhile, mine has started acting
> up the last month. It's not a nice club to be in. I have never been
> sure that stress can invariably trigger it in me, but I think almost
> anything can be aggravated by stress as feeling crappy only makes adds
> to other stress on the body. Chicken and egg, I suppose, at least in
> my case, as I know I have had some super aggravating stressful times
> in my life with no bother from the IBS and at other, seemingly calmer
> periods it has flared. Quien sabe?
>
> Sending you both my best healing thoughts.
>
> Boron

I am sorry you are a member of the club too. It is not enetertaining...

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 12:45:17 PM3/10/10
In article <35sibcrp6ivu$.p...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:06:37 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
> > And commercial shrimp... arg. There are all sorts of quality
> > problems there, whereas wild-caught shrimp is difficult to come by
> > not to mention expensive, usually.
>
> We both (Om and I) get the same wild caught Gulf shrimp lately for
> around $5/lb. But the problem is that it sucks. It has a very
> strong iodine/bleach taste. So even if it's earth friendly and
> humanely raised <cough>, it's just not worth eating.
>
> -sw

Unfortunately, I have to agree with that. The Iodine overtones are not
appealing.

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 12:45:50 PM3/10/10
wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

Ok. :-) But I eat very little lamb. It's too expensive!

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 12:48:44 PM3/10/10
In article <7vpvtt...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> > I try very, very hard to keep a positive attitude...

> > Been told by one of the headhunters that I'm very marketable.
> > I'm also trying to learn how to become an importer, but that's a
> > separate thread. It's possible to start a new business on a shoestring,
> > especially if one is willing to risk some credit.
> >
> > What is causing your stress? That is a biggie with IBS imho.
> > Stress and food intolerances.
> >
> > I need to get more Pepto' and Tagamet today.
>
> Still, Om, you have to try to chill out. Yes, do what you have to
> do to get another job, but beyond that stress is just damaging. I
> know this altogether too well.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I know. And I will toss that bit of wisdom back to you. :-)
We both care... <HUGS!>

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 12:50:40 PM3/10/10
In article <7vpvvv...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

Colitis is part of IBS hon'. Dr. Deschner (the Gastroenterologist MD)
told me that IBS includes the entire digestive tract, from mouth to
anus...

Dave Smith

Mar 10, 2010, 1:00:54 PM3/10/10
Omelet wrote:

>>> Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our roast
>>> leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when I was a
>>> kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.
>> No. I love mint with lamb.
>
> Ok. :-) But I eat very little lamb. It's too expensive!

It does tend to be more expensive than other meats. The price varies a
lot. I always keep and eye out for lamb shanks because the price of them
seems to vary more than the other cuts, and I am talking about prices
often being double their lows. I tend to get it only when the prices are
down. My local grocery store sells rolled up boneless legs, usually
around 2-1/2 pounds, and they run $11-12 when prices are down, $19-24
when prices are up.

Janet Bostwick

Mar 10, 2010, 1:06:37 PM3/10/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
snip

> Not if you and the neighbors get together with a class action lawsuit
> for harassment!
> --
> Peace! Om
That is next. She has run out of people willing to let things go. The
lawyer recommends it.
Janet

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 1:54:39 PM3/10/10
In article <sOCdnRJqCK4zQgrW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

So get organized. With him and all the neighbors. You can only put up
with her crap for just so long. She needs to be put in her place!

Dave Smith

Mar 10, 2010, 2:30:30 PM3/10/10

She sounds as bad as the farmer who used to have an orchard beside me.
He was a miserable bastard who owned several properties along this road.
At one time he had lawsuits going with 6 of his neighbours. He got into
a fist fight with my other next door neighbour when he saw him help
himself to an apple. Crazy farmer had a habit of encroaching on his
neighbours' properties and then claiming the land on squatter's rights.

I had several run-ins with him. One time he sicced the police on me and
wanted me charged with attempted murder, that I had attacked him with an
axe. When the police showed up I explained what had happened. I told
them about his history of squatter's rights claims and how I had seen
him disking the land and I went back with an axe and some stakes that I
sharpened and drove into the ground along the property line and he just
drove right over them. So I stood in front of him.... on my
property...as he was headed towards it. He stopped and told me "Get the
fuck out of my way or I will run you over." I stood my ground and told
him to stay off my land. He sped up the engine and popped the clutch and
came flying at me on the tractor. I jumped out of the way but swung the
axe at the tractor, which funnily enough, broke off and went sailing
towards his head. He had to duck to avoid being struck by the flying
headlight.

The police left and I never heard any more about that incident. A few
years later they came out again because he had complained about me
having a shotgun out when he was working in the orchard. I had been out
trap shooting in the afternoon and I was cleaning the gun out on my patio.

The guy was nuts. Thank goodness he retired and sold his farms. We now
have very pleasant neighbours.

I never had any more trouble with him after that. He had been able to
bully the other neighbours, but he realized that I would stand up to him
physically.

Doug Freyburger

Mar 10, 2010, 2:56:27 PM3/10/10
Pete C. wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our roast
>> leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when I was a
>> kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.

My family is 3/4ths from the Black Forest region, 1/8th from points
south in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and 1/8th from points north of the
channel. There was always mint with lamb when I was young. It's a
wider tradition than the UK.

I never got why lamb was served with mint. I totally agree with Pete C:

> I think it's an old marketing ploy to mask the wonderful flavor of lamb
> and make it more appealing to those with less discerning palettes.

Absolutely. For that matter lamb is substituted for goat and served to
those with less discerning palettes. ;^)

I like lamb with pretty much any fresh herbs and that includes mint as
fresh leaves not as mint jelly. There's another reason why I never got
the point of serving mint with lamb - It was mint jelly. Even as BBQ
sauce I figure adding sugar to meat makes as much sense as adding
styrofoam to beer. (Beer's supposed to have foam, right?)

Janet Bostwick

Mar 10, 2010, 2:58:57 PM3/10/10

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
snip

> I never had any more trouble with him after that. He had been able to
> bully the other neighbours, but he realized that I would stand up to him
> physically.

That sounds very much like her. Most people just want to be able to live
their lives. It's too bad others need bullying to make them feel good.
Janet

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 3:04:33 PM3/10/10
In article <4b97f35b$0$3793$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> The guy was nuts. Thank goodness he retired and sold his farms. We now
> have very pleasant neighbours.
>

> I never had any more trouble with him after that. He had been able to
> bully the other neighbours, but he realized that I would stand up to him
> physically.

Sometimes that is all it takes...

sf

Mar 10, 2010, 3:20:47 PM3/10/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:56:27 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
<dfre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I like lamb with pretty much any fresh herbs and that includes mint as
> fresh leaves not as mint jelly. There's another reason why I never got
> the point of serving mint with lamb - It was mint jelly. Even as BBQ
> sauce I figure adding sugar to meat makes as much sense as adding
> styrofoam to beer.

I *love* mint jelly, hate mint sauce. It just isn't the same.
Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my immediate family that likes it.
They simply don't like mint with lamb. So, I have my jar of mint
jelly and I eat it with lamb all by myself.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Goomba

Mar 10, 2010, 5:53:52 PM3/10/10
Pete C. wrote:

> I love lamb... I have no need to mask it's wonderful flavor with mint.

If you're masking the flavor instead of just complimenting it, you're
using way too much mint.

We always use garlic and ginger, with mint sauce or jelly on the side
when doing English style roast lamb.

Pete C.

Mar 10, 2010, 6:36:49 PM3/10/10

Your mint sauce or jelly can remain on the side - untouched by me. I
simply do not find mint to compliment the flavor of lamb, rather it
insults it.

Steve Pope

Mar 10, 2010, 7:02:39 PM3/10/10
Pete C. <aux3....@snet.net> wrote:

>Your mint sauce or jelly can remain on the side - untouched by me. I
>simply do not find mint to compliment the flavor of lamb, rather it
>insults it.

I feel similarly.

It does, however, complement the tast of turkey -- a turkey
sandwich with a good East Anglia mint sauce is wonderful.

Steve

gloria.p

Mar 10, 2010, 7:08:44 PM3/10/10

I believe both are used to disguise/temper the flavor of lamb that's too
strong flavored for people who don't particularly like lamb. When I
first tasted lamb, the mint made it a lot more palatable.

gloria p

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 8:27:08 PM3/10/10
Omelet wrote:
> In article <7vpvtt...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I try very, very hard to keep a positive attitude...
>>> Been told by one of the headhunters that I'm very marketable.
>>> I'm also trying to learn how to become an importer, but that's a
>>> separate thread. It's possible to start a new business on a shoestring,
>>> especially if one is willing to risk some credit.
>>>
>>> What is causing your stress? That is a biggie with IBS imho.
>>> Stress and food intolerances.
>>>
>>> I need to get more Pepto' and Tagamet today.
>> Still, Om, you have to try to chill out. Yes, do what you have to
>> do to get another job, but beyond that stress is just damaging. I
>> know this altogether too well.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> I know. And I will toss that bit of wisdom back to you. :-)
> We both care... <HUGS!>

I think we who know need to help each other. BTW, you can feel
free to email me if you ever want to do that.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 8:28:03 PM3/10/10
Omelet wrote:
> In article <7vpvvv...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Bentyl or Levsin. I've used Levsin in the past (good stuff), but I
>>> cannot afford to see an MD to get an Rx at the moment.
>>>
>>> But, thank you. :-)
>>>
>>> Right now, generic Tagamet is working. I switch back and forth between
>>> that and Zantac.
>> BTW, I get colitis when I am really stressed out.
>
> Colitis is part of IBS hon'. Dr. Deschner (the Gastroenterologist MD)
> told me that IBS includes the entire digestive tract, from mouth to
> anus...

I hadn't heard that. But then I have been lucky for some years
now. Maybe not much longer though...

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Mar 10, 2010, 8:29:52 PM3/10/10
gloria.p wrote:

> I believe both are used to disguise/temper the flavor of lamb that's too
> strong flavored for people who don't particularly like lamb. When I
> first tasted lamb, the mint made it a lot more palatable.
>
> gloria p

I LOVE lamb and am sad that a lot of the lamb we get now seems
milder than it did in days of yore.

ChattyCathy

Mar 11, 2010, 1:13:07 AM3/11/10
Omelet wrote:

> In article <7vpvre...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B."
> <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> > Funny how tastes vary. Mom *always* made mint sauce to go with our
>> > roast leg of lamb (which was one of our Sunday lunch regulars when
>> > I was a kid). I liked it. Maybe it's a British Thing, I dunno.
>>
>> No. I love mint with lamb.
>
> Ok. :-) But I eat very little lamb. It's too expensive!

Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
(little) bit cheaper than beef.

Piece of useless trivia, my son bought a whole dressed sheep that
weighed 17kg (i.e. skinned and with the head and innards removed) a
couple of weeks ago - we were having a party and we cooked it (whole)
on a 'spit' (outdoor rotisserie kinda thing). It cost us ZAR640-00,
which is about USD86.48 at the current exchange rate. <Some more calcs>
17kg = 37.48lb, which would make the price per pound roughly US$2.30.
Of course when you buy the whole thing you get some good quality meat
and some not so good, but it was delicious nonetheless. We fed 16
people from that sheep - and a couple of our friends' dogs were mighty
happy to get the bones afterwards <grin>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

sf

Mar 11, 2010, 2:51:04 AM3/11/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:13:07 +0200, ChattyCathy
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
> thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
> cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
> farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
> (little) bit cheaper than beef.

I guess you're not familiar with the range wars of the 1800's in the
USA.

ChattyCathy

Mar 11, 2010, 2:58:55 AM3/11/10
sf wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:13:07 +0200, ChattyCathy
> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
>> thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
>> cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
>> farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
>> (little) bit cheaper than beef.
>
> I guess you're not familiar with the range wars of the 1800's in the
> USA.

'Fraid not. <goes off to google>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

ChattyCathy

Mar 11, 2010, 3:20:41 AM3/11/10
sf wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:13:07 +0200, ChattyCathy
> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
>> thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
>> cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
>> farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
>> (little) bit cheaper than beef.
>
> I guess you're not familiar with the range wars of the 1800's in the
> USA.

OK, did some quick googling... according to Wiki most "Range Wars"
were "conflict that occurs in agrarian or stockrearing societies.
Typically fought over water rights or grazing rights to
unfenced/unowned land."

Anyhoo, that was then and this is now - so what's to stop a present day
rancher running both cattle and sheep on his/her *own* fenced off land
(using his/her share of the water in the area)? Happens here, no
problems. And yes, there is still some 'public' land that the farmers
share for grazing their stock - and I haven't seen any gun fights over
it lately...

Therefore, I still don't get it.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 3:59:31 AM3/11/10
In article <7vqv8l...@mid.individual.net>,
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

Thanks sweetie! Same here... :-)

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 4:01:20 AM3/11/10
In article <7vqvac...@mid.individual.net>,
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

I literally feel your pain! Hope you are still feeling better today.
I've been nauseated for hours but the Pepto' is helping.

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 4:02:59 AM3/11/10
In article <ZR%ln.67219$1n5....@newsfe04.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article <7vpvre...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B."
> > <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

> >> No. I love mint with lamb.
> >
> > Ok. :-) But I eat very little lamb. It's too expensive!
>
> Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
> thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
> cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
> farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
> (little) bit cheaper than beef.

Probably because much of it is imported.

> Piece of useless trivia, my son bought a whole dressed sheep that
> weighed 17kg (i.e. skinned and with the head and innards removed) a
> couple of weeks ago - we were having a party and we cooked it (whole)
> on a 'spit' (outdoor rotisserie kinda thing). It cost us ZAR640-00,
> which is about USD86.48 at the current exchange rate. <Some more calcs>
> 17kg = 37.48lb, which would make the price per pound roughly US$2.30.
> Of course when you buy the whole thing you get some good quality meat
> and some not so good, but it was delicious nonetheless. We fed 16
> people from that sheep - and a couple of our friends' dogs were mighty
> happy to get the bones afterwards <grin>

Sounds utterly fabulous. :-)

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 4:21:32 AM3/11/10
In article <338hp5dmkfkp6irst...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:13:07 +0200, ChattyCathy
> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
> > Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
> > thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
> > cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
> > farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
> > (little) bit cheaper than beef.
>
> I guess you're not familiar with the range wars of the 1800's in the
> USA.

Ooh, I've read about those! Nasty as hell. Thousands of sheep shot to
death. :-(

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 4:22:12 AM3/11/10
In article <4p1mn.90994$Ye4...@newsfe11.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

There are some historical novels that cover those. Good reads if you
like history. :-)

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 4:23:01 AM3/11/10
In article <AJ1mn.40961$jt1....@newsfe01.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

You've never dealt with cattleman. It's bad enough around here with
grazing goats.

ChattyCathy

Mar 11, 2010, 5:18:22 AM3/11/10
Omelet wrote:

> In article <AJ1mn.40961$jt1....@newsfe01.iad>,
> ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>> Therefore, I still don't get it.
>
> You've never dealt with cattleman. It's bad enough around here with
> grazing goats.

<laughs>

I *live* in a cattle/sheep farming area, and I've yet to see my
neighbors (who are all farmers) killing off anybody else's stock (or
each other, for that matter). Heh, we had some bulls wander into our
own back yard when we were busy putting up a new fence between our
property and our neighbor's (and those bulls saw their chance to get to
the grass on our property). Must admit I did 'shoot' those bulls, but
only with my camera. Wanna see the pics? I can mail 'em to you <eg>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

sf

Mar 11, 2010, 5:34:08 AM3/11/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:20:41 +0200, ChattyCathy
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Anyhoo, that was then and this is now - so what's to stop a present day
> rancher running both cattle and sheep on his/her *own* fenced off land
> (using his/her share of the water in the area)? Happens here, no
> problems. And yes, there is still some 'public' land that the farmers
> share for grazing their stock - and I haven't seen any gun fights over
> it lately...

We haven't had violence here either. They are raising sheep and
cattle (together, one big herd) on unfenced public range land in South
Africa with no supervision? How do they protect the sheep from
predators and poachers? How do they tell which sheep belongs to what
farmer?

> Therefore, I still don't get it.

Think of the range wars as the precursor to agribusiness. There were
huge herds of cattle to graze and lots of animosity against farmers
and their fences.

We still have large herds of cattle today that are your typical mass
produced supermarket animal. We speak in terms of mass production
when we talk about them. Those cattle are "produced", not "raised".
Since it is big business, obviously there is a financial reason for
keeping them separate from sheep.

Fenced land here tends to house specialty breeds of cattle, dairy
cattle or sheep. Maybe there are smaller commercial producers who
raise sheep and cattle in the same field somewhere in the USA, but
it's not common. Farmers here are businessmen and businessmen tend to
specialize (you don't go to the convenience store to buy a tractor).

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 11, 2010, 6:02:48 AM3/11/10

"ChattyCathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote

> Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
> thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
> cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
> farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
> (little) bit cheaper than beef.

Lamb is not expensive, beef is cheap. Cattle are raised in factory
conditions and fatted up fast and cheap.

ChattyCathy

Mar 11, 2010, 7:43:39 AM3/11/10
sf wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:20:41 +0200, ChattyCathy
> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyhoo, that was then and this is now - so what's to stop a present
>> day rancher running both cattle and sheep on his/her *own* fenced off
>> land (using his/her share of the water in the area)? Happens here, no
>> problems. And yes, there is still some 'public' land that the farmers
>> share for grazing their stock - and I haven't seen any gun fights
>> over it lately...
>>
> We haven't had violence here either. They are raising sheep and
> cattle (together, one big herd) on unfenced public range land in South
> Africa with no supervision? How do they protect the sheep from
> predators and poachers? How do they tell which sheep belongs to what
> farmer?

Of course they're 'supervised' - and there is something called 'tagging'
to mark which stock belongs to which farmer. And no, they don't graze
the sheep and cattle there all at the same time, together. When we
first moved here, we were invited to a 'local farmers meeting' and were
told that if we wanted to graze any stock on the shared land we just
had to put our names down on a 'roster'. i.e. we'd be given dates/times
when we could put our stock there. We didn't have to take them up on
their offer, because all I have is a few chickens - but it's all rather
civilized ya know.

>> Therefore, I still don't get it.
>
> Think of the range wars as the precursor to agribusiness. There were
> huge herds of cattle to graze and lots of animosity against farmers
> and their fences.

Hmmmm. But if somebody actually *paid* for their land and were the legal
owners, surely they were entitled to fence it and farm whatever they
liked on it?

> We still have large herds of cattle today that are your typical mass
> produced supermarket animal. We speak in terms of mass production
> when we talk about them. Those cattle are "produced", not "raised".
> Since it is big business, obviously there is a financial reason for
> keeping them separate from sheep.
>
> Fenced land here tends to house specialty breeds of cattle, dairy
> cattle or sheep. Maybe there are smaller commercial producers who
> raise sheep and cattle in the same field somewhere in the USA, but
> it's not common. Farmers here are businessmen and businessmen tend to
> specialize (you don't go to the convenience store to buy a tractor).

Makes more sense than blaming it all on "Range Wars", IMHO.

BTW, where I live the tractor store *is* the convenience store ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Janet Bostwick

Mar 11, 2010, 8:50:29 AM3/11/10

> In article <7vqvac...@mid.individual.net>,
> "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

snip>

> I literally feel your pain! Hope you are still feeling better today.
> I've been nauseated for hours but the Pepto' is helping.
> --
> Peace! Om
The 24/7 nausea is the worst part. Om, I know you don't feel like it, but
be sure to keep hydrated, watch your electrolytes and potassium. Jam as
many nutrients and calories into what little you are able to take in. Just
sayin' . . .
Janet

Janet Bostwick

Mar 11, 2010, 9:04:08 AM3/11/10

> In article <4p1mn.90994$Ye4...@newsfe11.iad>,
> ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > I guess you're not familiar with the range wars of the 1800's in the
>> > USA.
>> >
>> 'Fraid not. <goes off to google>
>
> There are some historical novels that cover those. Good reads if you
> like history. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

snip
Around here (Idaho) when you drive down a road (not an interstate highway),
you will rumble across what are known as "cattle grids" Strips of metal
bars over a ditch in the road. The idea is that cattle feet cannot cross
the metal bars. Much of Idaho (in fact, lots of Western states) is unfenced
public land. The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) contracts out grazing land
to ranchers and the cattle roam. I believe this is also true of sheep.
When we first moved here many years ago and went camping, we would often
pass sheepherders camps or wake in the morning to hear sheep passing by.
The signature sheepherder camp wagon had a rounded top, reminiscent of
covered wagons. The BLM still exists, but I haven't been camping in years,
so I don't know how all this is handled anymore.
Janet

Jean B.

Mar 11, 2010, 9:45:01 AM3/11/10
Omelet wrote:
> In article <7vqvac...@mid.individual.net>,
> "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Colitis is part of IBS hon'. Dr. Deschner (the Gastroenterologist MD)
>>> told me that IBS includes the entire digestive tract, from mouth to
>>> anus...
>> I hadn't heard that. But then I have been lucky for some years
>> now. Maybe not much longer though...
>
> I literally feel your pain! Hope you are still feeling better today.
> I've been nauseated for hours but the Pepto' is helping.

I hope that is still the case as I read this.

Here, the stress is house-related, move-related. Luckily, another
person is absorbing a lot of that stress though. Otherwise,...

--
Jean B.

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Mar 11, 2010, 10:42:18 AM3/11/10
In article <ZR%ln.67219$1n5....@newsfe04.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article <7vpvre...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B."
> > <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

> >> No. I love mint with lamb.
> >
> > Ok. :-) But I eat very little lamb. It's too expensive!
>
> Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
> thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
> cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
> farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
> (little) bit cheaper than beef.

Lamb used to be more popular than beef here, during colonial and
revolutionary times, probably a little later than that. However, tastes
changed, I'm not sure why. Since lamb is not as popular, it doesn't
tend to be as available, I think that is part of the expense. In areas
with large populations of hispanic and middle eastern people, it tends
to be more available and less expensive. Also, in farming areas. You
can buy a 4-H lamb from a child for fairly little and have it
slaughtered and butchered, or talk to a neighbor if you really live in a
rural area.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 10:52:34 AM3/11/10
In article <Xr3mn.23428$wr5....@newsfe22.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

Sure! :-) Around here, biggest problem is with longhorns. They are
gutsy! And oh so pretty... They make nice lawn ornaments.

Granted, things are not like they were back then (which is a good thing!)

Pete C.

Mar 11, 2010, 10:56:50 AM3/11/10

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> Lamb used to be more popular than beef here, during colonial and
> revolutionary times, probably a little later than that. However, tastes
> changed, I'm not sure why.

It's the mint jelly damnit! People got so caught up in this idea that
you have to have mint jelly with lamb, that they never tried wonderful
lamb without the horrid mint jelly and as a result didn't find it
appealing.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it...

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Mar 11, 2010, 10:56:54 AM3/11/10
In article <ZR%ln.67219$1n5....@newsfe04.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> 17kg = 37.48lb, which would make the price per pound roughly US$2.30.

That's around what we pay when we buy a whole lamb. We spent roughly
$3.00 per pound for the steer we bought, that was for hanging weight,
slaughter fee and butchering. Buying on the hoof actually works out to
be less expensive for things like lamb than beef, IME. We are able to
get high quality grass fed meats for grocery store prices doing it,
though. We still sometimes buy poultry and some cold cuts/sausages at
the store, but we buy no fresh pork, beef or lamb at the grocery store
any more. We only buy wild caught seafood at the store now, too, or get
it from fishing/fishermen friends.

The only catch when you are buying a live animal to slaughter is that
you have to be able to front the money rather than spread it through the
year. We stopped buying meat and only used what was in our freezer for
almost eight months when we were preparing to start buying the whole or
half animals to freeze and used the money we saved toward that end.
Now, we just budget it as part of our expenses and know that in the
winter/early spring we will be spending about $1500 - $2000 for our meat
for the year.

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 10:57:39 AM3/11/10
In article <ifWdnZ7hlLa4aAXW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

I'm just drinking juice and such. Solid food is pretty much out... Been
eating some eggs every couple of days, but it hurts to do it.

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 10:59:36 AM3/11/10
In article <GvudnSCwPa_FZQXW...@supernews.com>,

> >> 'Fraid not. <goes off to google>
> >
> > There are some historical novels that cover those. Good reads if you
> > like history. :-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> snip
> Around here (Idaho) when you drive down a road (not an interstate highway),
> you will rumble across what are known as "cattle grids" Strips of metal
> bars over a ditch in the road. The idea is that cattle feet cannot cross
> the metal bars. Much of Idaho (in fact, lots of Western states) is unfenced
> public land. The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) contracts out grazing land
> to ranchers and the cattle roam. I believe this is also true of sheep.
> When we first moved here many years ago and went camping, we would often
> pass sheepherders camps or wake in the morning to hear sheep passing by.
> The signature sheepherder camp wagon had a rounded top, reminiscent of
> covered wagons. The BLM still exists, but I haven't been camping in years,
> so I don't know how all this is handled anymore.
> Janet

Plenty of cattle guards around here too, but mostly on private
properties... Very little public land in Texas. Unfortunately!

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 11:00:28 AM3/11/10
In article <7vse0k...@mid.individual.net>,
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

I'll survive. I always do. <g> I hope you are doing well!

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Mar 11, 2010, 11:01:50 AM3/11/10
In article <q6ehp55il7jk2dc8s...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> We haven't had violence here either. They are raising sheep and
> cattle (together, one big herd) on unfenced public range land in South
> Africa with no supervision? How do they protect the sheep from
> predators and poachers? How do they tell which sheep belongs to what
> farmer?

Usually by tags or branding. Often when ranging, there are guard
animals with the ovine or bovine creatures. Donkeys, mules, llamas and
well trained livestock guardian dogs are the most common animals used
for that in our area. Also, in most cases there is at least one farm
hand or ranch hand nearby as well.

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Mar 11, 2010, 11:05:19 AM3/11/10

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:13:07 +0200, ChattyCathy
> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
> > Never understood why lamb is so expensive in the USA... Must be
> > thousands of cattle ranchers there - and AFAIAA, if you can raise
> > cattle you can raise sheep on the same grazing land - because lots of
> > farmers 'round here raise both... However, lamb/mutton is still a
> > (little) bit cheaper than beef.
>
> I guess you're not familiar with the range wars of the 1800's in the
> USA

Interesting, I had not connected the range wars with the decline in
sheep popularity. I guess I read it more as a fight between ranchers
and farmers (with our government protecting the ranchers far more). I
always assumed it had more to do with the government protections and
subsidies that increased the popularity of beef, because it made it so
much cheaper to raise and buy beef and so dangerous, legally, to make
any negative statements about the beef industry.

PLucas

Mar 11, 2010, 11:05:30 AM3/11/10

.

> I'll survive. I always do. <g> I hope you are doing well!

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 11:15:47 AM3/11/10
In article <4b991084$0$29897$ec3e...@unlimited.usenetmonster.com>,
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote:

I'll agree with you on that one! I will not not not add mint jelly to
lamb! Ever!

Janet Bostwick

Mar 11, 2010, 11:23:00 AM3/11/10

"PLucas" <PLu...@home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus> wrote in message

snip

>> I'll survive. I always do. <g> I hope you are doing well!

> What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
No it doesn't. Going without nourishment for weeks on end, destroys muscle,
heart and brain tissue.
Janet

It is loading more messages.