Tostilocos

1 view

ko...@letscook.com

Apr 19, 2008, 11:50:44 PM4/19/08

I went to Barrio Logan for Chicano Park day. Read more here.
http://www.chicanoparksandiego.com/

Checked out the awesome lowriders
http://i28.tinypic.com/vgopvn.jpg

and ate some tostilocos.
http://i29.tinypic.com/1555emg.jpg

Open a small bag .99 size of Tostito brand tortilla chips along the
side, not from the top, then topped with cucumber, jicama, tamarind
pulp bits, I think they are called chaca chaca, Japanese peanuts,
pickled pork skins, some hot sauce, lime juice, and chamoy which is a
fruit based hot sauce.

Delicioso

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 4/18
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Kathleen

Apr 20, 2008, 12:41:59 PM4/20/08
ko...@letscook.com wrote:

> I went to Barrio Logan for Chicano Park day. Read more here.
> http://www.chicanoparksandiego.com/
>
> Checked out the awesome lowriders
> http://i28.tinypic.com/vgopvn.jpg
>
> and ate some tostilocos.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/1555emg.jpg
>
> Open a small bag .99 size of Tostito brand tortilla chips along the
> side, not from the top, then topped with cucumber, jicama, tamarind
> pulp bits, I think they are called chaca chaca, Japanese peanuts,
> pickled pork skins, some hot sauce, lime juice, and chamoy which is a
> fruit based hot sauce.

They do "walking tacos" around here. Open a bag of chips as described
above. Top with seasoned ground beef, grated cheese, shredded lettuce
and chopped tomatoes. Make sour cream, salsa and pickled jalapenos
available as optional toppings. Eat directly from the bag using a spork.

Goomba38

Apr 20, 2008, 12:48:07 PM4/20/08
Kathleen wrote:

> They do "walking tacos" around here. Open a bag of chips as described
> above. Top with seasoned ground beef, grated cheese, shredded lettuce
> and chopped tomatoes. Make sour cream, salsa and pickled jalapenos
> available as optional toppings. Eat directly from the bag using a spork.

Growing up in Texas, High Schools would sell "Chili Pies" or "Frito
Pies" during Friday night football games, which were small slashed open
bags of fritos topped with chili and other desired fixings, and eaten
with the plastic spork.

sf

Apr 20, 2008, 2:15:21 PM4/20/08
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:48:07 -0400, Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

This thread will kill a lot of appetites. Ugh! I'm glad I've already
had breakfast and dinner is still hours away.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

ko...@letscook.com

Apr 20, 2008, 3:30:50 PM4/20/08

Dang, street food is so much fun, I like the walking tacos also.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 4/20

ko...@letscook.com

Apr 20, 2008, 3:32:55 PM4/20/08
wrote:

>Kathleen wrote:

Yep, these are great also. Hey, anytime you can have chips, any kind
of chips, laden with high fat toppings is a good thing.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 4/20

Mark Thorson

Apr 20, 2008, 4:04:35 PM4/20/08
sf wrote:

> This thread will kill a lot of appetites. Ugh! I'm glad
> I've already had breakfast and dinner is still hours away.

I wasn't sure what you meant until I looked at
the picture. Horrible!

Goomba38

Apr 20, 2008, 8:11:01 PM4/20/08
sf wrote:

>> Growing up in Texas, High Schools would sell "Chili Pies" or "Frito
>> Pies" during Friday night football games, which were small slashed open
>> bags of fritos topped with chili and other desired fixings, and eaten
>> with the plastic spork.
>
> This thread will kill a lot of appetites. Ugh! I'm glad I've already
> had breakfast and dinner is still hours away.

It is great football food. Cheap, quick and tasty. You've never tried
chili with fritos as a garnish? Try it sometime....

Kathleen

Apr 20, 2008, 10:20:18 PM4/20/08
ko...@letscook.com wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:41:59 -0500, Kathleen
> <khhfmde...@charter.net> wrote:
>

>>ko...@letscook.com wrote:
>>

>>>I went to Barrio Logan for Chicano Park day. Read more here.
>>>http://www.chicanoparksandiego.com/
>>>
>>>Checked out the awesome lowriders
>>>http://i28.tinypic.com/vgopvn.jpg
>>>
>>>and ate some tostilocos.
>>>http://i29.tinypic.com/1555emg.jpg
>>>
>>>Open a small bag .99 size of Tostito brand tortilla chips along the
>>>side, not from the top, then topped with cucumber, jicama, tamarind
>>>pulp bits, I think they are called chaca chaca, Japanese peanuts,
>>>pickled pork skins, some hot sauce, lime juice, and chamoy which is a
>>>fruit based hot sauce.
>>
>>They do "walking tacos" around here. Open a bag of chips as described
>>above. Top with seasoned ground beef, grated cheese, shredded lettuce
>>and chopped tomatoes. Make sour cream, salsa and pickled jalapenos
>>available as optional toppings. Eat directly from the bag using a spork.
>

> Dang, street food is so much fun, I like the walking tacos also.

Oh yeah, I forgot... Before you open the bag you've got to toss it on
the counter and hit it with the side of your hand a couple of times to
break up the chips.

Walking tacos remind me of flyball. At one of our favorite tournament
venues (Amana, Iowa), the local Elks Club runs a concession stand in the
building. In addition to walking tacos you can get burgers, hotdogs,
grilled chicken sandwiches, nachos. My son is famous there for
consuming 7 hotdogs (the eighth was on the house). He was 9 at the time.

In the morning they have tornados - eggs and sausage and cheese wrapped
in some sort of greasy, crunchy shell. Kind of like a taquito or a
flauta, I guesss. They usually have some kind of eggy strata thing,
apples and oranges and bananas, and on Sunday morning they have "all you
can eat" pancakes with juice, milk coffee or soda for $5. I personally
find it impossible to consume $5 worth of pancakes but it's still well
worth it because it's so nice to have food available on-site.