Mid-week survey on the RFC site: Okra...

Chatty Cathy

Apr 11, 2007, 1:31:27 PM4/11/07
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Sheldon

Apr 11, 2007, 1:38:42 PM4/11/07
On Apr 11, 1:31?pm, Chatty Cathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Finally, I got to vote first.

I love okra, I grow it... lovely plants with gorgeous blooms.

Sheldon

cybercat

Apr 11, 2007, 1:44:20 PM4/11/07

"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in message

You love okra because it is the only thing slimier than you are. But you
have to overcook okra to achieve this, whereas you are smarmy right out of
the shower. Eyyyuu. What an image.

Sheldon

Apr 11, 2007, 1:49:23 PM4/11/07
On Apr 11, 1:31?pm, Chatty Cathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Well worth planting, quite prolific and makes a beautiful background
plant in flowerbeds.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050522/news_1hs22sagebar.html

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Okra_flowers_and_flower_bud.jpg

Sheldon

James Silverton

Apr 11, 2007, 1:55:53 PM4/11/07
Chatty wrote on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:31:27 +0200:

CC> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

CC> Vote now!
CC> --
CC> Cheers
CC> Chatty Cathy

My reply was "sometimes". Ordinarily, outside its necessary
(IMHO) use in gumbo, I don't like it except fried crisp as an
Indian Raita component or in Texas Hot Okra Pickles which I like
it a lot!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Andy

Apr 11, 2007, 2:08:17 PM4/11/07
Chatty Cathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Incredible co-incidence! I defrosted two cups of gumbo for lunch! Couldn't
find the file powder, dammit, but it tasted just as good as the day I made
it!

Politically correct folk would insist that gumbo is okra in an African
language and without okra it's not gumbo. Oh well, someday I'll make
politically correct gumbo!

Andy

kilikini

Apr 11, 2007, 3:25:58 PM4/11/07

They are beautiful flowers. Related to the hibiscus, I believe. Nice
yellow blossoms. Unfortunately, I just don't care for the veggie.

kili

Dave Smith

Apr 11, 2007, 2:27:42 PM4/11/07
Andy wrote:

> Incredible co-incidence! I defrosted two cups of gumbo for lunch! Couldn't
> find the file powder, dammit, but it tasted just as good as the day I made
> it!
>
> Politically correct folk would insist that gumbo is okra in an African
> language and without okra it's not gumbo. Oh well, someday I'll make

I tired okra (frozen) for the first time about 30 years ago. I thought it
was pretty tasty, even if it was a little slimy. I didn't know it was
supposed to go into gumbo. I have had gumbo a few times since and enjoyed
the okra in it. It's just not very common around here. I can't recall
ever seeing it fresh in the supermarket.

cybercat

Apr 11, 2007, 2:55:49 PM4/11/07

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote in message

> Chatty wrote on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:31:27 +0200:
>
> CC> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> CC> Vote now!
> CC> --
> CC> Cheers
> CC> Chatty Cathy
>
> My reply was "sometimes". Ordinarily, outside its necessary (IMHO) use in
> gumbo, I don't like it except fried crisp as an Indian Raita component or
> in Texas Hot Okra Pickles which I like it a lot!

I have never met okra that was not encased in heavy breading
and overcooked, coming out like deep-fried spit-up. :)

rossr...@forteinc.com

Apr 11, 2007, 3:18:10 PM4/11/07

We grow and use a lot of okra. Three different varieties, Burgundy
(dark red pods), Annie Oakley and Clemson Spineless. The blossoms are
indeed quite attractive. Here's a picture from last year's garden.
http://tinypic.ca/images/cqs1176318088c.jpg

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Omelet

Apr 11, 2007, 3:21:59 PM4/11/07
In article <1176313122....@w1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

Totally agree on all counts. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet

Apr 11, 2007, 3:25:36 PM4/11/07
In article <461d1...@x-privat.org>, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Sorry you feel that way Cyberbabe..
Guess it's another thing we will have to agree to disagree on. :-)

Okra is a beautiful plant with gorgeous blooms, and is a prolific
producer. Cooked properly, it's not even all that slimy.

The flavor is similar to Asparagus imho.

It's also easy to grow which is why the peace corps tried to introduce
it to Africa in place of one other grain.

Dried, the seeds are also edible.

Omelet

Apr 11, 2007, 3:45:17 PM4/11/07
In article <461d2f7f$1...@x-privat.org>,
"cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Your loss dear. They are delightful lightly steamed and served as a side
dish. Just don't remove the caps until eating. Butter and lemon pepper,
or even a light coating of italian dressing.

cybercat

Apr 11, 2007, 3:47:09 PM4/11/07

"Omelet" <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:>> >
>> > My reply was "sometimes". Ordinarily, outside its necessary (IMHO) use
>> > in
>> > gumbo, I don't like it except fried crisp as an Indian Raita component
>> > or
>> > in Texas Hot Okra Pickles which I like it a lot!
>>
>> I have never met okra that was not encased in heavy breading
>> and overcooked, coming out like deep-fried spit-up. :)
>
> Your loss dear. They are delightful lightly steamed and served as a side
> dish. Just don't remove the caps until eating. Butter and lemon pepper,
> or even a light coating of italian dressing.

We've had this conversation before.

Nancy2

Apr 11, 2007, 3:48:14 PM4/11/07

> Okra is a beautiful plant with gorgeous blooms, and is a prolific
> producer. Cooked properly, it's not even all that slimy.

Everybody says that, but it's not true. The entire time I lived and
worked in Oklahoma, everyone thought they could convince me that okra
wasn't slimey, but they all failed. Okra is to me what beets are to
Barb. I can't say it better than that. LOL.

N.

Sheldon

Apr 11, 2007, 3:49:36 PM4/11/07
On Apr 11, 3:18?pm, rossr35...@forteinc.com wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2007 10:38:42 -0700, "Sheldon" <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >On Apr 11, 1:31?pm, Chatty Cathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> >> Vote now!
>
> >Finally, I got to vote first.
>
> >I love okra, I grow it... lovely plants with gorgeous blooms.
>
> >Sheldon
>
> We grow and use a lot of okra. Three different varieties, Burgundy
> (dark red pods), Annie Oakley and Clemson Spineless. The blossoms are
> indeed quite attractive. Here's a picture from last year's garden.http://tinypic.ca/images/cqs1176318088c.jpg

> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Nice pic but I hate when folks claim they do something and then post
totally sterile pics that anyone could have lifted off the net. When
someone says they grow something I want to see it growing in their
garden, or at least have some bit of element in the photo that
identifies it's actually theirs. I always make a point of including
something in my pics that I can reproduce over and over at will.

Sheldon

Little Malice

Apr 11, 2007, 3:54:28 PM4/11/07
One time on Usenet, Andy <g> said:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now!
>

> Incredible co-incidence! I defrosted two cups of gumbo for lunch! Couldn't
> find the file powder, dammit, but it tasted just as good as the day I made
> it!

What the heck is "file powder", Andy?

--
Jani in WA

wff_ng_7

Apr 11, 2007, 4:05:16 PM4/11/07
"Nancy2" <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Everybody says that, but it's not true. The entire time I lived and
> worked in Oklahoma, everyone thought they could convince me that okra
> wasn't slimey, but they all failed.

Reminds me of another description that I've heard regarding okra and its
sliminess. It had to do with whether one "swallows" something of similar
consistency. This other item is not in one of the regular food groups! ;-)

I do like okra and the sliminess doesn't bother me. The one form of okra
that shouldn't bother anyone with sliminess is pickled okra. I love pickled
okra as an addition to a bloody mary, as well as just snacking on them.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Andy

Apr 11, 2007, 4:09:32 PM4/11/07
Little Malice said...

Jani,

What little I know about it, if you don't like okra in gumbo, file powder
is an alternative fast acting thickening agent. It sounds like "fee-lay"
with the accent on fee.

I can't compare it tastewise since I've never had okra.

Andy

Omelet

Apr 11, 2007, 4:10:10 PM4/11/07
In article <0cbTh.3705$%l5.268@trnddc05>,
"wff_ng_7" <nosuc...@invalid.gov> wrote:

> "Nancy2" <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> > Everybody says that, but it's not true. The entire time I lived and
> > worked in Oklahoma, everyone thought they could convince me that okra
> > wasn't slimey, but they all failed.
>
> Reminds me of another description that I've heard regarding okra and its
> sliminess. It had to do with whether one "swallows" something of similar
> consistency. This other item is not in one of the regular food groups! ;-)

Don't think it never cums up here dear.
There has been more than one thread about food and sex... <G>

> I do like okra and the sliminess doesn't bother me. The one form of okra
> that shouldn't bother anyone with sliminess is pickled okra. I love pickled
> okra as an addition to a bloody mary, as well as just snacking on them.

Deep fried is not usually slimy either, but I've found that it tends to
have no flavor.

I like it blanched.

But, that's just me.

jmcquown

Apr 11, 2007, 4:12:12 PM4/11/07

Ground sassafrass root

Sheldon

Apr 11, 2007, 4:15:37 PM4/11/07
Omelet wrote:

> Your loss dear. They are delightful lightly steamed and served as a side
> dish. Just don't remove the caps until eating. Butter and lemon pepper,
> or even a light coating of italian dressing.

Anyone who has eaten Campbell's vegetable soups has eaten okra... most
of the okra I grow gets sliced and frozen, then in winter it's used in
soups/stews, especially in clam chowder. I also like okra raw in
salads, and pickled. Fresh picked young okra is not slimey, it's
those big old already rotting brownish pods found in the produce dept.
that are slimey, and tasteless

Sheldon

Sheldon

Apr 11, 2007, 4:19:04 PM4/11/07
(Little Malice) wrote:
> Andy <g> said:
> > Chatty Cathy said...
>
> > >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> > > Vote now!
>
> > Incredible co-incidence! I defrosted two cups of gumbo for lunch! Couldn't
> > find the file powder, dammit, but it tasted just as good as the day I made
> > it!
>
> What the heck is "file powder", Andy?

fil? powder [FEE-lay, fih-LAY]
Choctaw Indians from the Louisiana bayou country are said to have been
the first users of this seasoning made from the ground, dried leaves
of the sassafras tree. It's since become an integral part of CREOLE
COOKING and is used to thicken and flavor GUMBOS and other Creole
dishes. Fil? has a woodsy flavor reminiscent of root beer. It must be
stirred into a dish after it's removed from the heat because undue
cooking makes fil? tough and stringy. Fil? powder is available in the
spice or gourmet section of most large supermarkets. As with all
spices, it should be stored in a cool, dark place for no more than 6
months.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Default User

Apr 11, 2007, 5:00:50 PM4/11/07
jmcquown wrote:

> Little Malice wrote:

> > What the heck is "file powder", Andy?
>
> Ground sassafrass root

Small correction, ground leaves.

Brian

won't shut up.

Message has been deleted

Melondy

Apr 11, 2007, 6:07:58 PM4/11/07

I know this isn't a gardening NG but anyway. I guess from all you've
written in this thread that okra grows well for you in NY. Since we're
roughly in the same area, any growing hints for it here? I tried to grow
it in CA but where we were, believe it or not, it was just too hot and
dry and it never did well for me. I would have thought it too cold here
in NY. DO you start them indoors? Any variety you prefer for the NE?

Melondy

Victor Sack

Apr 11, 2007, 5:55:04 PM4/11/07
Nancy2 <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Everybody says that, but it's not true. The entire time I lived and
> worked in Oklahoma, everyone thought they could convince me that okra
> wasn't slimey, but they all failed. Okra is to me what beets are to
> Barb. I can't say it better than that. LOL.

Try it in the Vietnamese sour and spicy canh chua soup. You fill find
its texture the very opposite of slimy; it is almost crispy.

Victor

Goomba38

Apr 11, 2007, 6:20:02 PM4/11/07
to Michael "Dog3" Lonergan
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Pickled okra... never had it but I'll bet I would really like it. Sheldon,
> how do you batter and deep fry your okra? I mean do you have a recipe?
> Some of the best okra I've ever had was deep fried.
>
> Michael

Best way I've EVER had fried okra, I swear!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fried Okra

Recipe By :Southern Living, May 1987
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

1 pound okra -- 1/ 2 inch slices
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
vegetable oil for frying
salt

This comes from the Southern Living magazine cookbook, May 1987

Wash okra, drain well. Remove stems and tips. Cut into 1/2 inch
slices. Coat with flour (I just tossed all together in bowl)
Beat egg whites (at room temp) until stiff peaks form. Fold into okra.
Stir in bread crumbs, coating okra well.
Deep fry okra in hot oil (375 degrees) until golden brown. drain on
paper towels and sprinkle with salt.

Julia Altshuler

Apr 11, 2007, 6:46:41 PM4/11/07
Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

I clicked "sometimes" but wished there were a category between sometimes
and no. That is, I'll eat okra if it's breaded and fried just right,
and I won't pick it out of gumbo, but I don't really care for it. I
first tried gumbo in New Orleans when I was in college. I don't recall
any hard and fast rules there about gumbo requiring okra. (Come to
think of it, I loved the gumbo at the Riverbend, and it probably had
okra in it, so maybe the sometimes category is correct.) There were
chicken gumbos and sausage gumbos, and not all of them had okra.

--Lia

Gregory Morrow

Apr 11, 2007, 6:52:31 PM4/11/07
cyberSLOP wrote:

Must *everything* be low - class ghetto guttersniping with you?

Try acting more "white" - things might go better for you...

--
Best
Greg

Message has been deleted

Omelet

Apr 11, 2007, 10:00:16 PM4/11/07
In article <1176322537.8...@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

Indeed. :-)

The smaller, younger okra is indeed tastier.

The most amazing things about those plants is just how quickly those
pods develop after they bloom. I may just grow some this year. It's been
awhile! Mom and I found that we had to pick them every single day.

If they were left too long, we'd just leave them on the plant for the
whole season and used those for the next year's seed.

Sheldon

Apr 11, 2007, 10:31:27 PM4/11/07
"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

> cyberSLOP wrote:
>
> > I have never met okra that was not encased in heavy breading
> > and overcooked, coming out like deep-fried spit-up. :)
>
> Must *everything* be low - class ghetto guttersniping with you?
>
> Try acting more "white" - things might go better for you...

But the cyberslut is just a "nappy haired ho"... a friggin' brillo
crotched slut who has to wear SOS pads (with soap they're loaded)! <g>

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Richard Periut

Apr 11, 2007, 10:46:41 PM4/11/07

Greg:

Excuse me but although I'm not black (or ghetto guttersnipe,) can you
point out what "white" cooking from down South is not fried foods, pork
in pits, et cetera? And I'm not going to delve into Europe's cuisine
with the French eating goose livers, recipes laden with lard, et cetera?
And let's not mention the German pork stores, et cetera.

Judge not, and you shall not be judged.

Look at the plank in your eye, before trying to remove the speck in your
brother's!

cybercat

Apr 11, 2007, 10:48:10 PM4/11/07

"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in message

Another post to be proud of, Sheldon. Bet your children and grandchildren
will love this. I am compiling a Best of Grandpa Sheldon for them, with the
warning not to be caught anywhere alone with your skanky old ass.

Kate Connally

Apr 12, 2007, 11:04:38 AM4/12/07
Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>

>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>>Vote now!
>

> Incredible co-incidence! I defrosted two cups of gumbo for lunch! Couldn't
> find the file powder, dammit, but it tasted just as good as the day I made
> it!
>
> Politically correct folk would insist that gumbo is okra in an African
> language and without okra it's not gumbo. Oh well, someday I'll make
> politically correct gumbo!

Gumbo is made with either okra or file powder. Therefore,
it's still gumbo without the okra, assuming the use of file
powder. Without either it's no longer gumbo just soup or stew.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Chatty Cathy

Apr 12, 2007, 11:39:33 AM4/12/07
Kate Connally wrote:

> Gumbo is made with either okra or file powder. Therefore,
> it's still gumbo without the okra, assuming the use of file
> powder. Without either it's no longer gumbo just soup or stew.

A few posters have already mentioned file powder. I found this while
googling:

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/gumborecipes/a/gumbo.htm

<quote>
Gumbo is a Louisiana soup or stew which reflects and blends the rich
cuisines of regional Indian, French, Spanish, and African cultures. The
word "gumbo" is derived African term for okra, "gombo," and first
appeared in print in 1805. Filé gumbo, a version thickened with filé
powder (ground sassafras leaves) as used by the Choctaw Indians, came
along about 20 years later.

There are no hard and fast rules for making gumbo beyond the basic roux,
okra or filé powder, and your imagination. There are probably as many
distinctive recipes for gumbo as there are cooks in Louisiana.
</quote>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

blake murphy

Apr 12, 2007, 3:21:58 PM4/12/07
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:05:16 GMT, "wff_ng_7" <nosuc...@invalid.gov>
wrote:

talk o' texas? do you get hot or regular?

your pickled pal,
blake

James Silverton

Apr 12, 2007, 3:45:48 PM4/12/07
blake wrote on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:21:58 GMT:

??>> "Nancy2" <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
??>>> Everybody says that, but it's not true. The entire time
??>>> I lived and worked in Oklahoma, everyone thought they
??>>> could convince me that okra wasn't slimey, but they all
??>>> failed.
??>>
??>> Reminds me of another description that I've heard
??>> regarding okra and its sliminess. It had to do with
??>> whether one "swallows" something of similar consistency.
??>> This other item is not in one of the regular food groups!
??>> ;-)
??>>
??>> I do like okra and the sliminess doesn't bother me. The
??>> one form of okra that shouldn't bother anyone with
??>> sliminess is pickled okra. I love pickled okra as an
??>> addition to a bloody mary, as well as just snacking on
??>> them.

bm> talk o' texas? do you get hot or regular?

I haven't tried the "regular". The "hot" variety was the first I
found. It's not really very hot and suits me just fine!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

wff_ng_7

Apr 12, 2007, 3:57:44 PM4/12/07

That's the brand! I've gotten both, depends on my mood. They both taste good
to me.