Harvest Recipes

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 7, 2001, 3:50:16 PM9/7/01
Anyone have any fun recipes to celebrate the harvest or autumn? I just ran
across a cool apple-shaped cheese ball recipe on the Betty Crocker site,
and thought I would share:

Cheddar Cheese Apples (there's a picture on the site)
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=45486
Surprise them with the fun Cheddar and cream cheese spread that you shape
to look like an apple!

Total: 2 hr 20 min
Prep: 20 min
Chill: 2 hr

Makes 24 servings (2 cheese balls)

2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
Paprika
Cinnamon sticks and fresh sage leaves, if desired
Assorted crackers, if desired

1. Beat cream cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce and mustard in large
bowl until blended. Mix in Cheddar cheese. Cover and refrigerate about 2
hours or until firm enough to shape.

2. Divide cheese mixture in half. Shape 1 half into a ball on waxed
paper. Sprinkle another piece of waxed paper with paprika. Roll cheese ball
in paprika, coating thoroughly. Mold into apple shape. Repeat with
remaining cheese mixture.

3. To garnish, make small depression in stem ends of apples. Cut 2 small
pieces from cinnamon stick. Insert cinnamon stick pieces for stems. Insert
sage leaves. Serve cheese balls with crackers.

Damsel, scurrying off to put this into MasterCook
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Robbyn

Sep 7, 2001, 11:03:49 PM9/7/01
On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:50:16 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@spam-me-not.postmark.net> wrote:

>Anyone have any fun recipes to celebrate the harvest or autumn? I just ran
>across a cool apple-shaped cheese ball recipe on the Betty Crocker site,
>and thought I would share:

I made this last year for our annual Thanksgiving potluck pig-out at
work. It was a seat of the pants thing, but it went over very well.

Robbyn

Harvest Chicken Stew (makes about a gallon)

1 gallon stock (about half vegetable stock and half chicken stock
which has been made with plenty of garlic and rosemary)
1 lb carrots (peeled and chopped)
1 bunch celery (cleaned and chopped)
8-12 oz Portabella mushrooms (cleaned and chopped)
5 c chopped cooked chicken breast
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed and cooked
½ c coucous (or other small pasta form such as orzo)

Preparation:

Place the vegetables (except the squash) in the stock and bring to a
boil. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken and the
couscous. Bring to a simmer. Finally, add the cooked squash and heat
just long enough to warm the squash. Taste to check for seasonings
and adjust as necessary. If you like, thicken with cornstarch (I
did).

Notes:

(A) My husband makes a chicken with rosemary and garlic in a crock
pot that is just TO DIE for. It involves a whole head of garlic (each
clove peeled and - if it is large - halved) and several sprigs of
fresh rosemary. These are inserted under the skin of a 6-7 lb roaster
and the whole thing is plunked into the crock pot for the day. When
clean-up time comes, I always save the liquid left in the crock. I
put it in the refrigerator overnight to separate the fat and then
store the de-fatted stock in the freezer. This is what I use for the
chicken half of the stock.

(B) I cooked the squash separately because I was afraid it would fall
apart in the stew and I wanted it to maintain some shape. You can add
it with the other vegetables if you prefer that it be more integral :)
To reach me by email, send to moonwolf at ici dot net.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam was getting
to be to much!