French firefighters on their way to the US

1 view

aec

Sep 13, 2001, 11:24:40 AM9/13/01
France is sending 22(they probably don't have that many more than
that) of its experts in finding earthquake victims. They are also
sending doctors and vets (that what they say!). These firefighters,
experts in finding earthquake victims, say it is possible to find
people up to 8/10 days after the event, an experience they had when
they were in India and Turkey after their earthquakes.

Jacques Chirac (French President) announced on CNN that France will be
standing next to the US when it is time to punish this murderous
insanity.

Don't think that because you don't hear about the support from around
the world, that it isn't happening. It is. No country is an island
anymore.
Anne

Elisabeth Bouynot

Sep 13, 2001, 11:51:13 AM9/13/01
In article <b006ef27.0109...@posting.google.com>,
anne.c...@bull.net says...

> sending doctors and vets (that what they say!).

The vets are dogmasters (I'm not sure of the word), and are with the
disaster rescue dogs.

Elisabeth

zxcvbob

Sep 13, 2001, 11:59:53 AM9/13/01
> No country is an island
> anymore.

OMG! What happened to New Zealand???

Worriedly,
Bob

--
"Son, your teasin' the gorilla in the monkey house."
--Hank Hill

J. Helman

Sep 13, 2001, 1:10:01 PM9/13/01

That post entitled "America: The Good Neighbor" contains text from a
speech given nearly 30 years ago. All Americans are aware of the
overwhelming support given and help offered by the rest of the civilized
world, and we are grateful.

Cyndi

Sep 13, 2001, 1:10:58 PM9/13/01

"zxcvbob" <b...@a51web.net> wrote in message

<giggle giggle giggle guffaw>

Bob, thank you so much! I really, really needed that.
Cyndi

limey

Sep 13, 2001, 1:36:50 PM9/13/01

"Elisabeth Bouynot" <elis...@gabuzomeu.net> wrote in message

As was mentioned in the rfc chatroom last night, there was an appeal
for "booties" for the rescue dogs, whose paws are getting torn and
split working in the rubble. I'm sure those "booties" are a special
type - someone mentioned Cordura nylon as being very tough.

Dora

limey

Sep 13, 2001, 1:40:13 PM9/13/01

"Elisabeth Bouynot" <elis...@gabuzomeu.net> wrote in message

Someone also mentioned last night the vulnerability of the Statue of
Liberty and how it represents freedom.
My comment - "and that will really enrage the French", who donated the
Statue so long ago and have a smaller version in Paris looking towards
the US.

Dora

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 13, 2001, 2:12:13 PM9/13/01
In article <b006ef27.0109...@posting.google.com>,
anne.c...@bull.net (aec) wrote:

Wow, physicians and veterinarians!
I suppose that makes sense. They are still medical doctors. They take
all the same pre-med courses. Most vets treat, basically, dogs and
cats, perhaps horses. Those 3 would probably make up 90% of the typical
vet's practice......they have the same basic anatomical systems we have,
respiratory, digestive, skeletal, etc. I'm sure that a vet would be
able to read up on some basic "refresher" details on human anatomy, and
be available for immediate first aid, such as field suturing of wounds,
stabilizing broken bones, cpr, etc. They are still trained medical
personnel. It makes sense.

--
Sheryl
~~Live like there's no tomorrow

Albert Shikaze

Sep 13, 2001, 3:10:50 PM9/13/01
First, let me say as a Canadian that I am very sorry to hear what has
happened in New York. Like, many of you, I have sat here with anger and
disbelief.

The Premier from the Province of Ontario has offered to send a Canadian
medical team trained in emergency operations and other resources. My
understanding is that the offer has not been taken yet. One article in one
of our national papers had the heading, "Where are all the patients ?"
written by "A Canadian conscripted (her choice of words not mine) to work
as a medic in Manhattan on Tuesday confronts the worst possible scenario."
The scenario being that there are few survivors and the unthinkable has
happened.

The surreal sense I get watching the news is that the operation has the
grizzly task of recovering many people. Experts in finding victims are a
critical resource. I get the sense that the dogs that are being used in the
rescue effort are getting cut up badly. I suspect that many trained dogs
are being used in searching and clearing out airports and other facilities.
So, it may turn out that trained dogs are a critical and very scarce
resource. These highly trained dogs and their handlers could be exposed to
some dangerous situations where they could be badly injured and need
immediate Veterinary care.

Just my thoughts.

Albert Shikaze

"Sheryl Rosen" <catm...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Diana

Sep 13, 2001, 3:57:35 PM9/13/01
I saw a news report at noon today where a doctor near the WTC site described her
efforts to resuscitate a rescue dog which stopped breathing after inhaling so
much of the dust. She gave it oxygen, started IVs and put it in an ambulance to
the nearest animal hospital. The doctor was part of an on-site first aid center
treating mostly firefighters, police and volunteers for cuts, abrasions and
breathing difficulties.

Diana

Albert Shikaze wrote:

> [snip]

Siobhan Perricone

Sep 13, 2001, 6:26:04 PM9/13/01
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:12:13 GMT, Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net>
wrote:

>Wow, physicians and veterinarians!

Errr for the rescue doggies, Sheryl.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm

S.Dunlap

Sep 13, 2001, 7:30:31 PM9/13/01
limey <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in message

Booties are no longer needed for dogs. Now they need vets and medical
supplies. The ABC news website is supposed to be carrying a list of needed
items for humans and dogs..

Sandi

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 13, 2001, 8:02:19 PM9/13/01
In article <1jc2qtg7ubdce155c...@4ax.com>,
Siobhan Perricone <morgan...@starband.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:12:13 GMT, Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Wow, physicians and veterinarians!
>
> Errr for the rescue doggies, Sheryl.

ok. them, too! :-)
I didn't think about the poor rescue doggies.

My first thought was to assist in the human care, obviously.
Sort of an "Anyone with any medical training at all, get your butts over
here!" call.

Arri London

Sep 13, 2001, 8:14:18 PM9/13/01

Europe has routinely sent help for various disasters in the
US and abroad.

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 13, 2001, 9:19:58 PM9/13/01
In article <b006ef27.0109...@posting.google.com>,
anne.c...@bull.net (aec) wrote:

Vive la France! I'm in awe of the rescuing firefighters. God bless
them. I think I'm going to bring a batch of my Famous Orgasmic
Chocolate Brownies to my local fire station tomorrow.
These be them:
{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

Recipe By: Barb Schaller
Serving Size: 24
Preparation Time: 0:45
Categories: Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 cup unsalted butter (8 oz.)
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
2 cups granulated sugar (15 oz.)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped nuts, optional (walnuts or pecans)
1 1/3 cups cake flour (6 oz.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In microwave oven, on medium-high power, melt butter and chocolate in
2-quart microwave-safe bowl, about 3 minutes. Stir until smooth. Mix
in granulated sugar, then beat in eggs, one at a time, with wire whisk.
Mix in vanilla and almond. Stir in nuts. Combine cake flour, baking
powder, and salt and fold into chocolate. Spread batter in 9x13" pan
lined with baking parchment and bake in preheated oven at 350°F for
about 33-35 minutes. Do not overbake; toothpick may have fudgy crumbs
on it, but not wet batter.
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: First Place, Plain Brownies, 1997 Minnesota State Fair.
Adapted from recipe in Cook's Illustrated magazine, March/April 1994.
Please note that I do use real chocolate, unsalted butter and cake
flour. If you do not, don't complain to me about it. And I don't
believe the nutritional analysis at the bottom of this page!

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 197 Calories; 12g Fat (51%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 58mg Cholesterol; 72mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates
_____
--
-Herself
"I can, ergo, I am."

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 13, 2001, 9:22:22 PM9/13/01
In article <3BA0D7F9...@a51web.net>, zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net>
wrote:

> > No country is an island
> > anymore.
>
> OMG! What happened to New Zealand???
>
> Worriedly,
> Bob

Sit DOWN, Robert!!
Love,
Mom

Tony Pelliccio

Sep 13, 2001, 9:49:12 PM9/13/01
In article <Ha6o7.296$FX3.1...@newsfeed.slurp.net>, li...@giveitup.com
says...

And you don't want to piss off the French. Just ask the folks at
Greenpeace. :)

Tony

Tony Pelliccio

Sep 13, 2001, 9:50:13 PM9/13/01
In article <3BA0E869...@blazenet.net>, jhe...@blazenet.net
says...

Except Saudi Arabia. Word is that they are refusing to let the U.S. use
any part of the country as staging for potential attacks. Screw em' - I
say we bomb them too.

Tony

zxcvbob

Sep 13, 2001, 10:11:21 PM9/13/01

Humor is getting hard to find lately, but I think it's important that we
continue to look for it.

Best regards,
Bob

--
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.
Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the

limey

Sep 13, 2001, 10:37:54 PM9/13/01

Tony wrote:

> And you don't want to piss off the French. Just ask the folks at
> Greenpeace. :)

And we can use all the pissed-off countries we can get!

- Dora

st...@temple.edu

Sep 13, 2001, 11:06:47 PM9/13/01
limey <li...@giveitup.com> wrote:

> And we can use all the pissed-off countries we can get!

As long as the countries are not pissed off at the United States
and our allies.

ryannosaurus

Sep 13, 2001, 11:22:24 PM9/13/01
On or about Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:59:53 -0500 in the vicinity of
rec.food.cooking , article <3BA0D7F9...@a51web.net>, b...@a51web.net
incrminated themself with the following confession...

> > No country is an island
> > anymore.
>
> OMG! What happened to New Zealand???
>
> Worriedly,
> Bob

hee, that was my first actual giggle since sometime Monday night, thanks
:)

--
radio k-ry now broadcasting from mp3.com
http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/222/kry.html

J. Helman

Sep 14, 2001, 12:02:22 AM9/14/01

Well, I did say the rest of the CIVILIZED world.

Maybe we should've let Saddam roll through Kuwait and take over Saudi
Arabia ten years ago. If they aren't with us now, I say screw them the
next time they need help.

Oh, yeah...if there are any terrorist strongholds in Saudi Arabia, I
would consider them fair targets.

Victor Sack

Sep 14, 2001, 2:34:39 AM9/14/01
zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net> wrote:

> > No country is an island
> > anymore.
>
> OMG! What happened to New Zealand???

It got split into two islands.

Victor

MH

Sep 14, 2001, 10:35:25 AM9/14/01

> > > OMG! What happened to New Zealand???
> > >
> > > Worriedly,
> > > Bob
> >
> > Sit DOWN, Robert!!
> > Love,
> > Mom
>
> Humor is getting hard to find lately, but I think it's important that we
> continue to look for it.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Yes, and you two gave me my first laugh of the day. Thanks!

ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu

Sep 14, 2001, 11:11:05 AM9/14/01
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In article <b006ef27.0109...@posting.google.com>,
> anne.c...@bull.net (aec) wrote:

>> France is sending 22(they probably don't have that many more than
>> that) of its experts in finding earthquake victims. They are also
>> sending doctors and vets (that what they say!). These firefighters,

> Vive la France! I'm in awe of the rescuing firefighters. God bless

France has always been a good friend of the United States. Even in
times when she has disagreed with us on some things, because only
a good friend will risk your anger and speak up when they disagree.
When the chips are down, France has stood by us.

--
Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Young

Sep 14, 2001, 11:26:31 AM9/14/01

I was just saying how usually after even the most gruesome tragedy,
within a day you start hearing jokes about it. I haven't seen one
this time (and I don't want to).

nancy

Trinker

Sep 14, 2001, 5:32:10 PM9/14/01

Young wrote:

> I was just saying how usually after even the most gruesome tragedy,
> within a day you start hearing jokes about it. I haven't seen one
> this time (and I don't want to).

I've heard one, but I'm not sharing it out of respect.

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 14, 2001, 5:58:44 PM9/14/01
In article <3BA16749...@a51web.net>, zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net>
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
(snip)

> > Sit DOWN, Robert!!
> > Love,
> > Mom
> > --
> > -Herself
> > "I can, ergo, I am."
> > <www.JamLady.eboard.com> ---->> More Fair pix added 8/28/01
>

> Humor is getting hard to find lately, but I think it's important that we
> continue to look for it.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob
>
> --
> "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.
> Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the
> number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
> Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou
> then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being
> the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of
> Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff
> it." --Armaments 2:9-21

Man, talk about lack of attributions! Chris tells me that's from Monty
Python and the Holy Grail.

OB Food:
{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Rocky Road Divinity

Recipe By: Joyce Peterson (Honeywell, 12/94)
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Candy

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 ounces chocolate chips

In 2-quart pan, combine sugar, syrup, water and salt. Cook to 260
degrees. Meanwhile, beat egg whites until stiff. Pour hot syrup over
egg whites in a thin stream. Continue beating. Stir in vanilla and
chips until chocolate forms swirls. Drop and cool.
----------

Per serving: 4717 Calories; 101g Fat (18% calories from fat); 25g
Protein; 1007g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 647mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 39 Fruit; 20 1/2 Fat; 67 Other
Carbohydrates
_____

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 14, 2001, 6:01:44 PM9/14/01
In article <NAoo7.1701$lx5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

The show must go on! I whistle in the dark.

OB Food:
{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Ho Ho Bars

Recipe By:

Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00

Categories: Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method

1 box chocolate cake mix (18 oz.)
Filling:
1 1/2 cups milk
7 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup margarine (1 stick) softened
1 cup Crisco
1 cup sugar
Frosting:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup margarine (1 stick) melted
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz. pkg.)

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Lightly grease 13x18
inch cake pan (half sheet size foil pan from Maid of Scandinavia) or two
9x13 in pans, or spray with Pam. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
Bake about 2/3 the amount of time given for 9x13 pan or until a
toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly.

Make filling: In a bowl, mix milk and flour together; microwave at full
power for about 6-7 minutes, stirring with a wire whip every couple of
minutes. When itąs the consistency of thick glue, cool.

Cream together the margarine, Crisco, and sugar. Add vanilla and cooled
milk-flour paste. Beat at high speed for 7 minutes. Spread over cooled
cake. Refrigerate for one hour (maybe more).

Make frosting: Combine sugar, milk, and margarine. Microwave at full
power 5 minutes. Do not stir during cooking. Add chocolate chips and
beat with wire whip until chips are completely melted and mixture is
smooth. Cool slightly and pour over filling. Keep refrigerated. Makes
24 (hah! - more like 48) pieces.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Taste Section, Star Tribune newspaper, August 18,
1993. Made 8/93; well-received at work. Lorraine Cook wonąt die happy
until she has this recipe. Rest in peace, Lorraine! And leave me
alone. (For the record, Lorraine's still alive and kicking; retired in
Phoenix) Recipe is from Bayfields Bake Shop and Grill, 3015 Highway 29
South, Alexandria, Minnesota.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 6283 Calories; 321g Fat (44%
calories from fat); 54g Protein; 871g Carbohydrate; 66mg Cholesterol;
5351mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch/Bread; 26 Fruit; 1 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 63
Fat; 53 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
_____

Arri London

Sep 14, 2001, 8:45:49 PM9/14/01

LOL yes it is! The throwing of the Holy Hand Grenade of
Antioch.

zxcvbob

Sep 14, 2001, 9:57:39 PM9/14/01
> > > "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.
> > > Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the
> > > number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
> > > Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou
> > > then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being
> > > the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of
> > > Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff
> > > it." --Armaments 2:9-21
> >
> > Man, talk about lack of attributions! Chris tells me that's from Monty
> > Python and the Holy Grail.
>

> LOL yes it is! The throwing of the Holy Hand Grenade of
> Antioch.

I probably should clean that up. Yes it's from Monty Python and the
Holy Grail. In the movie they are supposedly reading from the sacred
book of Armaments, chapter two.

It's amazing how seldom this passage is appropriate as a .sig file! LOL

Best regards,
bob

--
"Or what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees?? Or the dogs with the
bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you???"

Christine Ashby

Sep 15, 2001, 2:02:41 AM9/15/01

> > No country is an island
> > anymore.
>
> OMG! What happened to New Zealand???
>
> Worriedly,
> Bob

NZ is a number of islands, as are we!

Christine

Harry A. Demidavicius

Sep 15, 2001, 2:04:19 AM9/15/01

Is one to the North of the other - or am I holding my Atlas
upside down again?
Harry

Christine Ashby

Sep 15, 2001, 2:08:42 AM9/15/01

> In article <1jc2qtg7ubdce155c...@4ax.com>,
> Siobhan Perricone <morgan...@starband.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:12:13 GMT, Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Wow, physicians and veterinarians!
> >
> > Errr for the rescue doggies, Sheryl.
>
> ok. them, too! :-)
> I didn't think about the poor rescue doggies.
>
> My first thought was to assist in the human care, obviously.
> Sort of an "Anyone with any medical training at all, get your butts over
> here!" call.

I hate to say this, but I don't think medical personnel of the usual sort
are what's needed.

I have seen a tv interview with an Australian trained nurse who was visiting
NYC. He had been at the Port Arthur massacre and he was volunteering his
services - for mortuary work.

I'm afraid that's the grim reality. And worse. Many of the victims aren't
just dead, they're vapourized.

Christine

Barrie Mather

Sep 15, 2001, 3:48:26 AM9/15/01
to aec

aec wrote:

> France is sending 22(they probably don't have that many more than
> that)

<snip>
A news flash over here stated that some of the dogs could signal whether
a body they found was alive or not. How do they teach them that trick?

Barrie

Arri London

Sep 15, 2001, 9:24:02 PM9/15/01

Bit long don't you think??

Arri London

Sep 15, 2001, 9:24:59 PM9/15/01

A dead body doesn't smell the same as a live body for one
thing.

zxcvbob

Sep 15, 2001, 10:22:50 PM9/15/01

Which one? The Homer quote, or Monty Python?

regards, bob

--
"Life...is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctoral
gift that no one ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is

Arri London

Sep 16, 2001, 10:47:37 AM9/16/01

The Monty Python of course.

aec

Sep 16, 2001, 10:56:13 AM9/16/01
Barrie Mather <bs...@benalla.net.au> wrote in message news:<3BA307CA...@benalla.net.au>...

Hi
I don't know how they do that, but looking at various sites, what they
say is interesting.
They say the training takes between two years and four years (on
weekends and spare time). It's an almost military training for both
dog and master, and up to 92% of candidates don't finish the training.
Their acute sense of smell is what makes dogs well suited for this
work. The group in Switzerland is called REDOG and it's not an easy
group to join. In all of Switzeland, there seems to be only 50 of
these dogs!
They say that they think that rescue is probably more like a game for
the dogs, and that they do it for their masters. But, the dogs have to
and do work in stressful situations. The relationship between the dog
and master is key. The master has to be able to interpret the signs
the dog is giving.
One thing they say may explain it. They say that the dogs are afraid
of the smell of death, and therefore show signs of fear. If they smell
a living person, they are happy and wag their tails (and "mark" as
they say).
To show how important it is to be able to interpret the dogs
reactions, they talked about the time a dog was afraid, a sign of
death, but was wagging its tail. Under the rubble, they found a dead
body, but two people next to it who were alive.
Amazing people and dogs. True heros.
Anne