Butternut Soup

Puester

Oct 11, 2003, 5:36:33 PM10/11/03
For all you successful gardeners, this recipe
was in today's Rocky Mt. News, shared by the
local restaurant:

Wolfgang Puck's
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP serves 4-6

1/2 c. onion, roughly chopped
1 lg. squash (2-2 1/2 lb, peeled, seeded and diced)
4-5 med. potatoes, peeled and diced
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 ounces butter
1 quart vegetable stock
1 pint cream
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

--In a large, heavy pot (5 qt. at least), melt
the butter over low heat.
--Add onions, squash, potatoes and carrots;
cover and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally,
till vegetables are translucent but not brown, about
1 hour. The objective is to bring out the natural
sugars.
--Add the vegetable stock, cover and simmer gently
for 2 hours, until the vegetables are soft.
--Add the cream and curry powder. Use a hand
blender or mixer and blend till smooth.
Season with salt and white pepper.
--If needed, adjust sweetness and acidity with
lemon juice or sugar.

Gloria's note: I don't understand why lemon juice
wouldn't cause the cream to curdle. Don't blame me,
it's Puck's recipe!

gloria p

jmcquown

Oct 11, 2003, 5:53:07 PM10/11/03
Puester wrote:
> For all you successful gardeners, this recipe
> was in today's Rocky Mt. News, shared by the
> local restaurant:
>
> Wolfgang Puck's
> BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP serves 4-6
>
> 1/2 c. onion, roughly chopped
> 1 lg. squash (2-2 1/2 lb, peeled, seeded and diced)
> 4-5 med. potatoes, peeled and diced
> 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
> 2 ounces butter
> 1 quart vegetable stock
> 1 pint cream
> 2 tsp. curry powder
(snip)

> gloria p

Sounds good, however mine is much simpler. Doesn't require butter, cream,
carrots or potatoes but is a nicely thick and tasty soup.

Jill's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

2 large butternut squash (about 4 lbs.)
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 c. chicken stock or broth (you can use vegetable)
2 c. water
1-1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder (substitute 1/4 c. minced fresh onion)
1 tsp. dried Tarragon leaves

Cut the squashes down the middle and scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp.
Place, cut-side down, on a roasting pan brushed with olive oil. Bake at
350F degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Holding the squash in an oven
mitted hand, scoop out the flesh and place into a large mixing bowl. In a
large measuring cup, stir together water and broth. Puree the squash (if
using fresh onion, add now) in a blender or food processor, adding liquid as
needed, until mixture is smooth. Pour pureed squash into a deep pot. Bring
to a low boil. Season with salt, pepper and Tarragon. Reduce heat and
simmer; cook over very low heat about 1 hour, stirring every quarter hour.
Add remaining liquid as needed to make a very nice, smooth soup. Serves
8-10.

Jill

Becca

Oct 11, 2003, 6:11:59 PM10/11/03
Nice recipe. I made Butternut Soup today, using chicken stock,
celery, onions and a couple of pears from the tree in my back yard.

Becca