Tortilla de patatas (Spanish tortilla)

Silvia Barge

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
Hi!
This is the first time I post to this wonderful NG and I've decided to start
with the most tipical Spanish recipe: Potatoes Tortilla.
In Spain, most of people have this for dinner, and whenever an unexpected
guest arrives.
It has nothing to do with the Mexican tortilla, but with French omelette.
I hope you'll like it.
Silvia

Tortilla de patatas (Potatoes tortilla)

- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion
- fresh parsley
- salt
- olive (or sunflower) oil

- Peel the potatoes and cut them in square-shaped slices (about an inch long
or less). Peel and chop the onion in small pieces.
- Put them in a frying pan with abundant oil (enough to cover the
ingredients). Fry with a medium flame and add salt. When they are softened,
but no browned, fry with high heat until they are lightly golden. Drain them
and take them out of the pan into a bowl.
- Wait a little for the potatos and onion to get colder (3 to 5 minutes) and
add the eggs to the bowl.
- Wash and chop the parsley, add it to the bowl and mix.
- In another frying pan, put 3-4 tablespoons of oil (they must cover all the
surface of the pan). Put it on the stove (small heat).
- Add all the ingredients and spread them on the pan.
- When one side is done, flip the tortilla (using a plate) and cook the
other side. You might need to do this one more time.
- Serves hot (but can be served cold too).
- For parties, cut in small squares.

Puester

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
Silvia Barge wrote:

> Hi!
> This is the first time I post to this wonderful NG and I've decided to start
> with the most tipical Spanish recipe: Potatoes Tortilla.

Muchas graçias, Silvia.

gloria p

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00

>Muchas graçias, Silvia.
>
>gloria p

Nononononononono, gloria. It's grácias. <grin>
--
-Barb, rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
We be jammin' -- Blackberry jam is done, jelly on the horizon; basil and mint jellies complete; plum jelly next week if I thaw the juice. Oh, my....watermelon pickles if I find a decent melon. (Haven't yet!) Dried cherry chutney? Mmm-maybe. Tomato juice? Not for a while.

the Reids

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>Hi!
>This is the first time I post to this wonderful NG and I've decided to start
>with the most tipical Spanish recipe: Potatoes Tortilla.

>In Spain, most of people have this for dinner, and whenever an unexpected
>guest arrives.
>It has nothing to do with the Mexican tortilla, but with French omelette.
>I hope you'll like it.
> Silvia

¡ Hola !
I'm newish too, glad to see another Spanish food fan.
I've posted my tortilla recipe hoping you would be interested to
compare notes, I doubt any two people do it the same !
Differences :-
I wouldnt go for parsley and i'm a believer in smoking oil to stop it
sticking.
(sorry about the funny line lengths, its a lazy cut and paste from my
site.)
How do you feel about garlic? Glad to see you dont put peas in, where
do people get that idea?

My version:-
Tortilla Espagnol - the classic tapa
Although common, the tortilla is easy to make badly. First soften
enough potato slices to almost fill your
pan (in olive oil) and then do the same for a chopped onion and some
garlic, remove both to a bowl and
set aside. Make sure the oil in the pan is completely free of food
debris to avoid sticking and heat the oil
fiercely. Meanwhile break 5 or 6 eggs into the potato, onion mixture,
mixing in well. When the oil begins to
smoke, not before, pour the mixture in and reduce the heat. Once one
side is cooked put the lid on the
pan, invert over the sink, and quickly tip the tortilla into the lid.
Then slide the turned tortilla back off the
lid into the pan to cook the second side. Slide out of the pan onto a
serving plate to eat hot or cold after
cutting into segments.
The pan
To make a tortilla you need a frying pan with lid that has a smooth
lip on both that will not damage it when
you slide it across. The alternative is to toss it, skillful and
dangerous.
Safety
To avoid burns wear two oven gloves when turning, and watch that the
oil does not catch fire.

--
Regards
Mike Reid

Silvia Barge

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00

the Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
398e7d77...@news.mcmail.com...

> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>
> ¡ Hola !
> I'm newish too, glad to see another Spanish food fan.
> I've posted my tortilla recipe hoping you would be interested to
> compare notes, I doubt any two people do it the same !
> Differences :-
> I wouldnt go for parsley and i'm a believer in smoking oil to stop it
> sticking.
> (sorry about the funny line lengths, its a lazy cut and paste from my
> site.)
> How do you feel about garlic? Glad to see you dont put peas in, where
> do people get that idea?

> Regards
> Mike Reid
> Spanish regional cooking at
> "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/espania.htm"

Hi Mike! thanks for your version of the recipe, they are very similar, but
I never heard in Spain that someone make it with garlic. And about peas,
there are many variations of the Tortilla de patatas, but all of that with
diferent vegetables (carrots, peas, mushrooms, pepper..), are known as
"Tortilla Campesina" , (Country Tortilla or maybe Rural Tortilla, sorry for
my english).

I have many typical Spanish recipes that I've been collecting for years, so,
if there's anything you want, ask me and I'll be happy to post any recipe
you want. My gazpacho is to die for :-)

Tomorrow I will post the recipe for the "Ensaladilla rusa" (that would be
something like "Little Russian Salad", though in Russia nobody has ever
heard about it). It's great for the summer and very easy.

Silvia

the Reids

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>Hi Mike! thanks for your version of the recipe, they are very similar, but

>I never heard in Spain that someone make it with garlic.

I think I just like garlic too much ! It seems to have drifted into
mine over the years, it started from putting "brotas" (garlic stalks)
into one at the suggestion of the woman who runs "Produce of Spain" in
London. I cant find many references to it in books, perhaps i'll
claim it as a "Campesina" variation, but I think I had better take it
out of my description for the sake of authenticity.

> And about peas,
>there are many variations of the Tortilla de patatas, but all of that with
>diferent vegetables (carrots, peas, mushrooms, pepper..), are known as
>"Tortilla Campesina" , (Country Tortilla or maybe Rural Tortilla, sorry for
>my english).

Yes, I dont think you can translate Campesina exactly.
I've had peppers *with* a tortilla, but none of the other vegetables.
I suspect I havnt gone deep enough into the campo. (if thats the right
use of the word)
Most of my purchased tortillas would have been in restaurants and
hotels in Spain rather than out in the country.

Would the "campesina" have potatoes and (say) peas or just peas only ?
I cant find it in my Spanish books but there is "Paisana" in Penelope
Casas US book - chorizo, green beans, peas etc.

>I have many typical Spanish recipes that I've been collecting for years, so,
>if there's anything you want, ask me and I'll be happy to post any recipe
>you want. My gazpacho is to die for :-)

Are you going to set up a website ? It takes time of course, I'm
slowly building mine up.

>Tomorrow I will post the recipe for the "Ensaladilla rusa" (that would be
>something like "Little Russian Salad", though in Russia nobody has ever
>heard about it). It's great for the summer and very easy.

Looking forward to it.
Adios !

the Reids

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>Tomorrow I will post the recipe for the "Ensaladilla rusa" (that would be

>something like "Little Russian Salad", though in Russia nobody has ever
>heard about it). It's great for the summer and very easy.
>

>Silvia

Just heard on the radio from an Italian that they too have a "Russian
salad" (didnt catch the Italian name) and that the Russians call it
Italian Salad !
BTW This came up in a discussion of why Spain/Italy calls a "monkey
wrench" a "llave ingles"

--
Mike Reid
If the metric system is so clever

Silvia Barge

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00

Melba's Jammin' <barb.s....@honeywell.com> escribió en el mensaje de
noticias barb.s.schaller-...@remote3.htc.honeywell.com...

> In article <398DED2E...@worldnet.att.net>, pue...@worldnet.att.net
wrote:

> >Muchas graçias, Silvia.
> >
> >gloria p
>
> Nononononononono, gloria. It's grácias. <grin>

Nonononono, it's gracias :-)
Anyway, de nada.

Silvia

Silvia Barge

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00

the Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
398fccb6...@news.mcmail.com...

> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>
> >Hi Mike! thanks for your version of the recipe, they are very similar,
but
> >I never heard in Spain that someone make it with garlic.
>
> I think I just like garlic too much ! It seems to have drifted into
> mine over the years, it started from putting "brotas" (garlic stalks)
> into one at the suggestion of the woman who runs "Produce of Spain" in
> London. I cant find many references to it in books, perhaps i'll
> claim it as a "Campesina" variation, but I think I had better take it
> out of my description for the sake of authenticity.

(garlik = "ajo", garlik stalks = "ajetes")

You can put ajetes in a french omelette, along with shrimps, but not with
potato.

> > And about peas,
> >there are many variations of the Tortilla de patatas, but all of that
with
> >diferent vegetables (carrots, peas, mushrooms, pepper..), are known as
> >"Tortilla Campesina" , (Country Tortilla or maybe Rural Tortilla, sorry
for
> >my english).
>
> Yes, I dont think you can translate Campesina exactly.
> I've had peppers *with* a tortilla, but none of the other vegetables.
> I suspect I havnt gone deep enough into the campo. (if thats the right
> use of the word)
> Most of my purchased tortillas would have been in restaurants and
> hotels in Spain rather than out in the country.
>
> Would the "campesina" have potatoes and (say) peas or just peas only ?
> I cant find it in my Spanish books but there is "Paisana" in Penelope
> Casas US book - chorizo, green beans, peas etc.

Campesina is the same thing as paisana. But when you put chorizo in the
tortilla then you shouldn't put the vegetables.

> >I have many typical Spanish recipes that I've been collecting for years,
so,
> >if there's anything you want, ask me and I'll be happy to post any recipe
> >you want. My gazpacho is to die for :-)
>
> Are you going to set up a website ? It takes time of course, I'm
> slowly building mine up.

I am! But I'm slower than you are. My daughters would rather have me cooking
than writing about cook. They like a traditional mom, rather than a
cyber!mom ;-)

Silvia

Silvia Barge

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00

the Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
39912a9a...@news.mcmail.com...

> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>

> Just heard on the radio from an Italian that they too have a "Russian
> salad" (didnt catch the Italian name) and that the Russians call it
> Italian Salad !

LOL.
It's obvious that the Russians don't want anything to do with it.

> BTW This came up in a discussion of why Spain/Italy calls a "monkey
> wrench" a "llave ingles"

It's "llave inglesa", but I have no idea of the reason. Maybe it's English
invention? Or first time they saw it an Englishman had it in his hand. But I
think it's weirder to put a monkey in this mess...

Silvia

The Reids

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>(garlik = "ajo", garlik stalks = "ajetes")

>You can put ajetes in a french omelette, along with shrimps, but not with
>potato.

This is interesting, got it now, my dictionary says "brotas" is
shoots, so they were just saying use the garlic stalks. My dictionary
has "ajete" as young garlic, so its young garlic stalks?
BTW It was a women from Andalucia (Almaria, we bought them in the
mercado there) who said put the the ajetes in a tortilla, I think that
in Spain there are 50,000,000 ways to cook each dish ! :-)

>> > And about peas,
>> >there are many variations of the Tortilla de patatas, but all of that
>with
>> >diferent vegetables (carrots, peas, mushrooms, pepper..), are known as
>> >"Tortilla Campesina" , (Country Tortilla or maybe Rural Tortilla, sorry
>for
>> >my english).
>>

>Campesina is the same thing as paisana. But when you put chorizo in the
>tortilla then you shouldn't put the vegetables.

I thought it would be. I will try a chorizo one, I love chorizo, and
garlic, I am tempted to put them in everything !

>> >I have many typical Spanish recipes that I've been collecting for years,
>so,
>> >if there's anything you want, ask me and I'll be happy to post any recipe
>> >you want. My gazpacho is to die for :-)

My bacalao cooking is bad, any information would be most welcome.

>I am! But I'm slower than you are. My daughters would rather have me cooking
>than writing about cook. They like a traditional mom, rather than a
>cyber!mom ;-)

You must get them to cook under your instruction !
When you have a website let me know the URL so I can place a link on
my site.

--
Mike Reid
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" Dalai lama

The Reids

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Following up to Silvia Barge and OT :

>It's "llave inglesa", but I have no idea of the reason. Maybe it's English
>invention? Or first time they saw it an Englishman had it in his hand. But I
>think it's weirder to put a monkey in this mess...

Possibly it was first made in a factory in England and had "Made in
England" stamped on it. I think the first brand was "King Dick", a
wierd name in England, I wont say why to a Spanish Lady !
But it may be from the way we mend things, we sometimes call a
"hammer" a "Birmingham screwdriver" after the way they *used* to make
cars there.(OK now !)

Hasta luego

Silvia Barge

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00

The Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
39925f55...@news.mcmail.com...

> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>
> >(garlik = "ajo", garlik stalks = "ajetes")
> >
> >You can put ajetes in a french omelette, along with shrimps, but not with
> >potato.
>
> This is interesting, got it now, my dictionary says "brotas"

"brotes"

> shoots, so they were just saying use the garlic stalks. My dictionary
> has "ajete" as young garlic, so its young garlic stalks?

The "ajete" is the whole thing, it has no bulb yet. When the bulb grows,
it's the garlic.

> BTW It was a women from Andalucia (Almaria, we bought them in the
> mercado there) who said put the the ajetes in a tortilla, I think that
> in Spain there are 50,000,000 ways to cook each dish ! :-)

At least :-)

> I thought it would be. I will try a chorizo one, I love chorizo, and
> garlic, I am tempted to put them in everything !

Well, you can try it for breakfast ;-)

Do you know what's the new thing to have for breakfast in Andalucía? A toast
with tomato rubbed on it and a little bit of olive oil.

> My bacalao cooking is bad, any information would be most welcome.

Ok, this weekend I'll translate some bacalao recipes for you, and I'll post
them probably next week.
It takes some time, mainly because the mesure system is different.

> You must get them to cook under your instruction !

<snort> Yeah, sure.

> When you have a website let me know the URL so I can place a link on
> my site.

I will!

Silvia

The Reids

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>The Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
>39925f55...@news.mcmail.com...
>> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>>
>> >(garlik = "ajo", garlik stalks = "ajetes")

BTW we have a jar called "brotes de ajos verdes" "Viter" brand from
Rioja. ingrediente : tallos ajos verdes

>> >You can put ajetes in a french omelette, along with shrimps, but not with
>> >potato.
>>
>> This is interesting, got it now, my dictionary says "brotas"
>
>"brotes"

"garlic" :-)

>Do you know what's the new thing to have for breakfast in Andalucía? A toast
>with tomato rubbed on it and a little bit of olive oil.

"Pa amb oli" in Catalan? We have had this in Mallorca, where I think
it started.

I thought you must be from Andalucia, gazpacho, ensalada and tortilla.

>> My bacalao cooking is bad, any information would be most welcome.
>
>Ok, this weekend I'll translate some bacalao recipes for you, and I'll post
>them probably next week.
>It takes some time, mainly because the mesure system is different.

You dont use metric system in Andalucia - gramos ? :-)

--
Mike Reid
If the metric system is so clever
why cant I get a box of 5 eggs?

Silvia Barge

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

The Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
3996869e...@news.mcmail.com...

> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>

> >The Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
> >39925f55...@news.mcmail.com...
>

> >Do you know what's the new thing to have for breakfast in Andalucía? A

toast
> >with tomato rubbed on it and a little bit of olive oil.
>
> "Pa amb oli" in Catalan? We have had this in Mallorca, where I think
> it started.

Same thing. But now you can have it for breakfast at many places.

> I thought you must be from Andalucia, gazpacho, ensalada and tortilla.

Hehe. I'm afraid not. I'm from the Peruvian rain forrest: Iquitos, and I
lhave lived in Spain since I was 8, but I always used to go to Perú on
vacation. Now I live in Galicia, in the NW of Spain, near Portugal. My
liking for all the world cook, maybe comes because my father was from
France, my mom from Spain, and the woman who cooked at home for more than 40
years, was Peruvian, married with a Chineese man.... very diverse, eh?

> >Ok, this weekend I'll translate some bacalao recipes for you, and I'll
post
> >them probably next week.
> >It takes some time, mainly because the mesure system is different.
>
> You dont use metric system in Andalucia - gramos ? :-)

Sure! we use metric system, but most people in this NG uses pounds and that
kind of stuff. But if you don't mind my using gramos, and litres, I'd be
delighted.

Silvia

The Reids

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>Hehe. I'm afraid not. I'm from the Peruvian rain forrest: Iquitos, and I

>lhave lived in Spain since I was 8, but I always used to go to Perú on
>vacation. Now I live in Galicia, in the NW of Spain, near Portugal. My
>liking for all the world cook, maybe comes because my father was from
>France, my mom from Spain, and the woman who cooked at home for more than 40
>years, was Peruvian, married with a Chineese man.... very diverse, eh?

You fooled me ! Santiago de Compostela is Carols favourite place. We
did a trip for her 40th birthday along the north coast San Sebastian,
Asturias Bayona and to the "rias", stayed at island of La Toca (sp?)
and came home with loads of bottles of Magno soap (we thought it was
brandy :-) )
We sometimes cook empenadas, our personal idea is to put sherry in the
pastry !

>> You dont use metric system in Andalucia - gramos ? :-)
>
>Sure! we use metric system, but most people in this NG uses pounds and that
>kind of stuff. But if you don't mind my using gramos, and litres, I'd be
>delighted.

I suspect all the others might object, when will the US catch up ? :-)

Silvia Barge

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

The Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
399799b7...@news.mcmail.com...

> Following up to Silvia Barge :
>
> >Hehe. I'm afraid not. I'm from the Peruvian rain forrest: Iquitos, and I
> >lhave lived in Spain since I was 8, but I always used to go to Perú on
> >vacation. Now I live in Galicia, in the NW of Spain, near Portugal. My
> >liking for all the world cook, maybe comes because my father was from
> >France, my mom from Spain, and the woman who cooked at home for more than
40
> >years, was Peruvian, married with a Chineese man.... very diverse, eh?
>
> You fooled me ! Santiago de Compostela is Carols favourite place. We
> did a trip for her 40th birthday along the north coast San Sebastian,
> Asturias Bayona and to the "rias", stayed at island of La Toca (sp?)

La Toja

Well... I don´t like Santiago very much, in my opinion, it rains too much.
Buildings are fabulous, I know, but that´s all. Do you know that this 25 th
of July, the director of the Hotel "Hostal de los Reyes Católicos" had to
turn on the central heating??
We go there many times, in fact, we go there every time someone foreigner
comes to visit us, and went (on foot) to pilgrimage last Compostela's Holy
Year. Very tiring stuff, but now we have a place at heaven :o)

> and came home with loads of bottles of Magno soap (we thought it was
> brandy :-) )

I can´t imagine how you could take soap for brandy...

> We sometimes cook empenadas, our personal idea is to put sherry in the
> pastry !

With sherry anything goes better ;o)

Empanadas, yeah, I like them very much. The one preparated with corn flour
and scalops is wonderful YUM!

Silvia

The Reids

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>> "Pa amb oli" in Catalan? We have had this in Mallorca, where I think

>> it started.
>
>Same thing. But now you can have it for breakfast at many places.

BTW just seen that Tomas Graves, son of Robert Graves has written a
book in English about pa amb oli !

The Reids

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
Following up to Silvia Barge :

>Well... I don´t like Santiago very much, in my opinion, it rains too much.

>Buildings are fabulous, I know, but that´s all. Do you know that this 25 th
>of July, the director of the Hotel "Hostal de los Reyes Católicos" had to
>turn on the central heating??

Ah yes, but if you are English it seems dry and warm. We stayed at the
Parador in February and walked about in tee shirts. One advantage of
living in a really cool wet place. Everywhere we went they put the
heating on and we switched it off again !

>I can´t imagine how you could take soap for brandy...

Just the name Magno :-)