Beans, Beans, they're good for your...

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 8:41:35 AM7/9/01
We've got lots of beans... a bunch of fancy jars in the kitchen that we keep
filled with attractive beans and legumes ... and I think it's time to put
some of them to use. I've got Navy Beans & Kidney Beans which I use for
Baked Beans every Saturday, but I really need some proven recipes for the
Black Beans, Jacobs Cattle Beans, Lentils, Green Peas, Yellow Peas, Pinto
Beans and Yellow Eyes. These beans have been stored in semi-air-tight jars
for about 2 years -- are they any good? Or should I continue to use them
for decoration and purchase more beans to eat? What's the shelf-life of
dried beans?

I love ~spicy~ dishes and will eat just about anything, but my wife is a
picky eater -- she likes foods to be semi-spicy and *not* include stuff like
capers, anchovies, etc. I gotta share a story with you... We went out for
Pizza the other night and my son and I enjoy a pepperoni & anchovy pizza
(anchovies served cold on the side) and I offered my wife a $300.00 clothing
shopping spree in exchange for her to eat 5 anchovies. She wouldn't do it.
How many of you anchovy-hating women would pass on this offer?

Back to beans... I remember a while back "Jack Schmit" suggested a few bean
dishes for Pinto Beans... I'd appreciate it if he'd forward those recipes to
me again -- Thanks Jack!

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k...@maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"The Mind, once stretched by an empowering idea,
can never fully shrink back to it's original dimensions."

maxine in ri

Jul 9, 2001, 9:12:46 AM7/9/01
K3 wrote:

> We've got lots of beans... a bunch of fancy jars in the kitchen that we keep
> filled with attractive beans and legumes ... and I think it's time to put
> some of them to use. I've got Navy Beans & Kidney Beans which I use for
> Baked Beans every Saturday, but I really need some proven recipes for the
> Black Beans, Jacobs Cattle Beans, Lentils, Green Peas, Yellow Peas, Pinto
> Beans and Yellow Eyes. These beans have been stored in semi-air-tight jars
> for about 2 years -- are they any good? Or should I continue to use them
> for decoration and purchase more beans to eat? What's the shelf-life of
> dried beans?
Thanks Jack!

The only problem you may have is that the older beans are, the
longer they take to cook and soften, sometimes it may seem like
forever!

maxine in ri

decobabe

Jul 9, 2001, 9:16:10 AM7/9/01
Remember all those biblical stories where they warehoused food in good years
to eat in lean years? Just so, beans do that pretty well. Just soak well,
other than the lentils.
I love 'fagioli degli uccelli" baked with garlic,olive oil and sprigs of
fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, etc.). Leftovers of those can be mixed
with polenta and baked to make 'panizza,' another favorite. I haven't made
the beans, only eaten them. No big magic, though, according to the
neighbors.
When I grew up in Maine, it was baked beans every bloomingSaturday night,
and I had to settle for the big onion on the top, hated the beans. I still
hate sweetened beans.
"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> We've got lots of beans... a bunch of fancy jars in the kitchen that we
keep
> filled with attractive beans and legumes ... and I think it's time to put
> some of them to use. These beans have been stored in semi-air-tight jars

> for about 2 years -- are they any good? Or should I continue to use them
> for decoration and purchase more beans to eat? What's the shelf-life of
> dried beans?

Peter Aitken

Jul 9, 2001, 9:37:42 AM7/9/01
"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> We've got lots of beans... a bunch of fancy jars in the kitchen that we
keep
> filled with attractive beans and legumes ... and I think it's time to put
> some of them to use. I've got Navy Beans & Kidney Beans which I use for
> Baked Beans every Saturday, but I really need some proven recipes for the
> Black Beans, Jacobs Cattle Beans, Lentils, Green Peas, Yellow Peas, Pinto
> Beans and Yellow Eyes. These beans have been stored in semi-air-tight
jars
> for about 2 years -- are they any good? Or should I continue to use them
> for decoration and purchase more beans to eat? What's the shelf-life of
> dried beans?

Dried beans never go bad, but old beans tend to give inferior results,
particularly in terms of texture. Given how cheap dried beans are, I'd
suggest buying new for your cooking.

--
Peter Aitken

limey

Jul 9, 2001, 9:57:28 AM7/9/01

"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> We've got lots of beans... a bunch of fancy jars in the kitchen that
we keep
> filled with attractive beans and legumes ... and I think it's time
to put
> some of them to use. I've got Navy Beans & Kidney Beans which I
use for
> Baked Beans every Saturday, but I really need some proven recipes
for the
> Black Beans, Jacobs Cattle Beans, Lentils, Green Peas, Yellow Peas,
Pinto
> Beans and Yellow Eyes.

K3 - I sent a 13-bean soup recipe to someone a while back - would you
like me to post it again? Sounds like a good way to use up some of
that inventory.

- limey

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 10:27:36 AM7/9/01
I'd *definately* be interested!!! I'm into soups, especially around 10:00
at night before bed. I love soups... especially those that I can easily
reheat/reconstitute within minutes & serve with a side of microwave-popped
popcorn and be ready to watch my favorite TV shows at night.

I look forward to a few soup recipes fro you! Thanks in Advance! :-)

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k...@maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"The Mind, once stretched by an empowering idea,
can never fully shrink back to it's original dimensions."

"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in message

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 10:30:32 AM7/9/01

"maxine in ri" <wee...@hotmail.coma> wrote in message

Seems like this might be in my favor... I like to cook beans that take a
while to cook... start the cooking process early on Saturday and have them
ready within 6-8 hours -- this is why I normally don't soak my beans for
Baked Beans before cooking them, I just par-boil the beans and hope for a
longer cooking time.

Thanks! :-)

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 10:32:41 AM7/9/01
When I get a little more time I'm *definitely* going to look up 'fagioli
degli uccelli"... sounds delicious!!! If you've got a favorite recipe I'd
be so happy if you forwarded it to me.

Thanks in Advance! :-)

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k...@maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"The Mind, once stretched by an empowering idea,

can never fully shrink back to it's original dimensions."

"decobabe" <wvr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 10:38:50 AM7/9/01

"decobabe" <wvr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> neighbors.
> When I grew up in Maine, it was baked beans every bloomingSaturday night,
> and I had to settle for the big onion on the top, hated the beans. I still
> hate sweetened beans.

What part of Maine did you grow up in? I moved to Maine when I was 16 and
have eaten Baked Beans (almost) every Saturday since. I continue preparing
Baked Beans, Red-Skinned Franks, and homemade biscuits just to carry on the
family tradition.

I know what you mean... I always look forward to the whole onion that melts
in my mouth. Mmmmmm! My favorite part! Sometimes I'll prepare "creamed
onions" as a side dish.

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k...@maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"The Mind, once stretched by an empowering idea,

Young

Jul 9, 2001, 11:08:26 AM7/9/01
K3 wrote:

> I love ~spicy~ dishes and will eat just about anything, but my wife is a
> picky eater -- she likes foods to be semi-spicy and *not* include stuff like
> capers, anchovies, etc. I gotta share a story with you... We went out for
> Pizza the other night and my son and I enjoy a pepperoni & anchovy pizza
> (anchovies served cold on the side) and I offered my wife a $300.00 clothing
> shopping spree in exchange for her to eat 5 anchovies. She wouldn't do it.
> How many of you anchovy-hating women would pass on this offer?

(laugh) Probably most of us. We're a pretty independent, self
sufficient crew who wouldn't need or ask permission to spend 300 bucks
or more on clothing.

nancy

limey

Jul 9, 2001, 11:21:00 AM7/9/01

"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> I'd *definately* be interested!!! I'm into soups, especially around

10:00
> at night before bed. I love soups... especially those that I can
easily
> reheat/reconstitute within minutes & serve with a side of
microwave-popped
> popcorn and be ready to watch my favorite TV shows at night.
>
> I look forward to a few soup recipes fro you! Thanks in Advance!
:-)

> Kendall F. Stratton III

OK, K3 - here's a particular favorite of mine. I have really doctored
up the original recipe but we love it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

13-Bean Soup

Recipe By :Dora

3 cups 13-bean soup mix
Meat, to flavor (I use a couple of smoked
neck pieces or ham hock)
1 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes
2 stalks celery -- sliced
2 or 3 onions -- sliced
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon McCormick's Bon Appetit (onion
powder/celery salt mix)
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4 or 5 drops Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons or cubes beef bouillon
12 ounces V-8® vegetable juice
2 quarts water

Simmer everything for two or three hours, or until thickened.

Source:
"My head, much adapted from a Charleston, SC recipe"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 361 Calories; 3g Fat (7.5%
calories from fat); 13g Protein; 79g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 4632mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 13 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : If you cannot find 13-bean mix, then any combination of Navy,
Great Northern, red, pinto, black beans, black-eyed peas, plus green
and yellow split peas (or any other beans you may have!) will do. I
usually add more black beans, since they really thicken the soup.
Great on a cold winter's day!

limey

Jul 9, 2001, 11:31:43 AM7/9/01

"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> I look forward to a few soup recipes fro you! Thanks in Advance!
:-)

> Kendall F. Stratton III

Here's another one.

- limey

BEAN SOUP

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bean Soup (1)

Recipe By :Dora, after adaptations

2 cups dried navy beans
3/4 cup salt pork, ham, ham hock or smoked necks
2 quarts water
2 14˝ ounce stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 large potato -- diced
1 large onion -- diced
2 carrots -- diced
2 stalks celery -- chopped
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
pepper to taste
celery salt
celery seed

Cook everything until beans are tender.

Source:
"Forgotten - sue me"

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 11:32:28 AM7/9/01

"Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

(laughing with you), it's not that she has to ask to spend $$ on clothes...
it's just that we're stickin' to the budget for the time being, 'til my
arthritis (Lupus) is under control and I can get back to work. Normally I
wouldn't joke about something like this (like I did with her about the
anchovies) -- although I was serious -- I'd do just about anything to have
her be a little bit more "brave" with trying new foods, but with us being
"poe" (poor with a southern accent), we have to stick to our budget and that
means spending less $$. I still tell her everyday that she could have
gone on that "shopping spree" if she'd only ate the anchovies!!! :-)

K3

Jul 9, 2001, 1:15:18 PM7/9/01
Thanks limey,

Just one thing... any idea what types of beans the "13 bean soup mix"
contains? what proportion of this bean to that bean? Does it matter?
do I just use a bunch of this and a bunch of that? I've got a big jar of
"soup mix" beans (also for decoration)... maybe I should use that!?! It's
cool that this soup recipe doesn't have any rice or pasta in it -- meaning
that it'll last a few days in the fridge without the broth being "sucked up"
and the pasta/rice turning to mush.

Guess what I'm in the process of preparing for tonight's midnight snack? --
13 (or how ever many beans there are) Bean Soup (minus the ham hocks --
using diced, thick-cut deli ham instead -- it's all I got!).

Thanks!

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k...@maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"The Mind, once stretched by an empowering idea,
can never fully shrink back to it's original dimensions."

"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in message

limey

Jul 9, 2001, 1:37:43 PM7/9/01

> Thanks limey,
>
> Just one thing... any idea what types of beans the "13 bean soup
mix"
> contains?

I used to mix up my own beans but - guess what? - at a pound of this
bean and a pound of that, I must have had beans for the next few
years. Now I buy the mix, a pound at a time. When I bought the
separate beans, I bought:
black, Roman, baby lima, navy, Great Northern, pink, pinto, small red
chili beans, red kidney, black-eyed peas, yellow split peas, green
split peas and butter beans.

what proportion of this bean to that bean? Does it matter?
> do I just use a bunch of this and a bunch of that?

I'd split it up pretty evenly. Just eyeball it. Watch out for the
split peas, though - they can stick if you use too many. As I said, I
like to add some more black beans, because they really thicken the
soup at the end.

I've got a big jar of
> "soup mix" beans (also for decoration)... maybe I should use that!?!

Don't know - I don't know what is in your mix. Check the ingredients
list.

>It's cool that this soup recipe doesn't have any rice or pasta in
it -- meaning
> that it'll last a few days in the fridge without the broth being
"sucked up"
> and the pasta/rice turning to mush.

I can't serve any soup with pasta in it to my husband. He can't
tolerate the texture - and as you said, rice will turn mushy.

> Guess what I'm in the process of preparing for tonight's midnight
snack? --
> 13 (or how ever many beans there are) Bean Soup (minus the ham
hocks --
> using diced, thick-cut deli ham instead -- it's all I got!).

Deli ham sounds good to me - anything to add a meaty flavor. The
smoked meats seem to work the best (at least, to me - to each his
own).

Enjoy! Let me know how you like it.

- limey

decobabe

Jul 9, 2001, 2:57:57 PM7/9/01
K3, ( I may use your first name?) I looked hard for an old Woman's Day
cookbook I had which had a fabulous Portuguese bean soup made with cloves
and cubed potatoes. I can't find it and I'm afraid I didn't move it. I
wonder if a 30 year old recipe would be available on their website? I
wonder if they HAVE a website?
I grew up in Minot. I never could stand the winters, so I am the only one
who permanently escaped New England.

"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
Everything snipped

Damsel in dis Dress

Jul 9, 2001, 4:32:41 PM7/9/01
"decobabe" <wvr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>K3, ( I may use your first name?) I looked hard for an old Woman's Day
>cookbook I had which had a fabulous Portuguese bean soup made with cloves
>and cubed potatoes. I can't find it and I'm afraid I didn't move it. I
>wonder if a 30 year old recipe would be available on their website? I
>wonder if they HAVE a website?

Here's their website:
http://www.womansday.com/xp6/WomansDay/home.xml

>I grew up in Minot. I never could stand the winters, so I am the only one
>who permanently escaped New England.

Did you know anyone named Zastera in Minot? I used to have relatives who
lived there.

Damsel
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Siobhan Perricone

Jul 9, 2001, 4:02:43 PM7/9/01
On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:30:32 -0400, "K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote:

>> The only problem you may have is that the older beans are, the
>> longer they take to cook and soften, sometimes it may seem like
>> forever!
>>
>> maxine in ri
>
>Seems like this might be in my favor... I like to cook beans that take a
>while to cook... start the cooking process early on Saturday and have them
>ready within 6-8 hours -- this is why I normally don't soak my beans for
>Baked Beans before cooking them, I just par-boil the beans and hope for a
>longer cooking time.

I have had beans that were less than a year old get too tough to cook at
all. I cooked and cooked and cooked and they NEVER got soft (red beans,
pintos, navys).

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm

Sager Soloman

Jul 9, 2001, 6:50:34 PM7/9/01
In article <9ic8pc$hu8u4$1...@ID-89669.news.dfncis.de>, K3
<k...@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> I love ~spicy~ dishes and will eat just about anything, but my wife is a
> picky eater -- she likes foods to be semi-spicy and *not* include stuff like
> capers, anchovies, etc. I gotta share a story with you... We went out for
> Pizza the other night and my son and I enjoy a pepperoni & anchovy pizza
> (anchovies served cold on the side) and I offered my wife a $300.00 clothing
> shopping spree in exchange for her to eat 5 anchovies. She wouldn't do it.
> How many of you anchovy-hating women would pass on this offer?

I think that eating of anchovies might be a guy thing.

--
sa...@cayo.net
Key West -- http://cayo.net/

Young

Jul 10, 2001, 1:04:28 AM7/10/01
K3 wrote:

> "Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

> > > capers, anchovies, etc. I gotta share a story with you... We went out

> for
> > > Pizza the other night and my son and I enjoy a pepperoni & anchovy pizza
> > > (anchovies served cold on the side) and I offered my wife a $300.00
> clothing
> > > shopping spree in exchange for her to eat 5 anchovies. She wouldn't do
> it.
> > > How many of you anchovy-hating women would pass on this offer?
> >
> > (laugh) Probably most of us. We're a pretty independent, self
> > sufficient crew who wouldn't need or ask permission to spend 300 bucks
> > or more on clothing.

> (laughing with you), it's not that she has to ask to spend $$ on clothes...

> it's just that we're stickin' to the budget for the time being, 'til my
> arthritis (Lupus) is under control and I can get back to work.

Obviously I was kidding around, and I'm sorry about your lupus and
arthritis. I have arthritis in one hip due to a childhood injury,
and only exercise helps me. Rest assured I'm not offering you medical
advice, just telling you I understand.

> Normally I
> wouldn't joke about something like this (like I did with her about the
> anchovies) -- although I was serious -- I'd do just about anything to have
> her be a little bit more "brave" with trying new foods, but with us being
> "poe" (poor with a southern accent), we have to stick to our budget and that
> means spending less $$.

Nothing wrong with that. (laugh) And I know what po' is.

> I still tell her everyday that she could have
> gone on that "shopping spree" if she'd only ate the anchovies!!! :-)

Nah, spending money when it's tight isn't fun. Been there, done that.
Funny what you don't want when you don't want to have to worry about
paying for it.

Hope you're feeling well.

nancy

Stan Horwitz

Jul 10, 2001, 10:12:04 AM7/10/01
Dreaming on, America <n...@thisrate.com> wrote:

>>I think that eating of anchovies might be a guy thing.
>>

> Not this guy.

Not this guy either.

decobabe

Jul 10, 2001, 2:56:23 PM7/10/01
It doesn't ring any bells, but I went away to school at 13 and haven't lived
there since.
"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@spam-me-not.postmark.net> wrote in message

decobabe

Jul 10, 2001, 2:58:41 PM7/10/01
Hey, you two. I just read today that arthritis pain can be helped with a
handful per day of gin-soaked raisins.