Brunch... Help!

Dianne and Mike

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

I'm having my in-laws over for Brunch on Sunday. I've never done a
brunch before, so don't have many ideas - I was thinking cinnamon buns,
quiche and salad. Any comments or ideas?

Johnson

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97
to Dianne and Mike

All of these recipes work great for a brunch.
~Margaret

Breakfast Pizza

1 (8oz.) can refrigerater crescent dinner rolls
6 eggs beaten (5 large)
1 lb. bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 c. (4oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Spread rolls onto a lightly greased 12 inch pizza pan; firmly pressing
perforations to seal. Combine eggs, bacon & cheese. Pour over crust.
Bake at 375'F for 12-15 minutes. Cut like pizza & serve.
==

Breakfast Sausage Rolls

2 loaves (1 lb. each) frozen white bread dough, thawed
1/2 lb. mild sausage
1/2 lb. hot sausage
1 1/2 c. mushrooms
1/2 c. chopped onions
3 eggs
10 oz. shredded mozzerella
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. garlic powder

Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Cook & crumble sausage. Add
mushrooms & onions. Cook & stir until sausage is brown & vegetables are
tender. Drain & cool. Beat 1 egg & set aside. Add to sausage mixture 2
eggs, cheese & seasonings.
Roll each loaf of dough into a 16x12 inch rectangle. Spread each loaf
with 1/2 sausage mixture, to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up, starting
at narrow end, seal edges. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350'F
for 25 minutes; brush with beaten egg. Bake at 5-10 minutes longer or
until golden brown. Serve warm.
==

GOLDEN SHRIMP SHELLS

6-oz. pkg. frozen shrimp, thawed, rinsed, drained or 24 large
(1-inch) cooked shrimp; rinsed, drained.
7 garlic dove, minced
7 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 (8-oz.) can PlLLSBURY Refrigerated Quick Crescent Dinner Rolls
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
Cocktail sauce

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In medium skillet over medium-high heat,
stir-fry shrimp, garlic, parsley and hot pepper sauce in oil, about 1
minute. Remove from heat. Remove dough from can in rolled sections; do
not unroll. Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down, 1 inch
apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Press half of dough slice to flatten.
Place about 1 teaspoon shrimp mixture or each slice. Fold top of dough
over occur between dough layers; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at
375 degrees F. for 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm
with cocktail sauce. 24 appetizers.
TIPS: A mixture of 1 tablespoon PARKAY Margarine, melted, 1 teaspoon
minced fresh parsley and 3 to 4 drops garlic juice may be brushed on
baked shrimp shells in place of Parmesan cheese.
To make ahead: prepare, cover and refrigerate, unbaked, up to 2 hours
bake as deeded above. To reheat, wrap loosely in foil; heat at 350
degrees F. for 8 to 12 minutes.

--

The Johnson Page is at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/jmjohnsn

Lee Newland

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Dianne and Mike wrote:
=

I'm having my in-laws over for Brunch on Sunday. I've never done a

brunch before, so don't have many ideas - I was thinking cinnamon =

buns, quiche and salad. Any comments or ideas?

~~~
Do as much the night before as possible. I make these cinnamon =

rolls for our family brunches. They're pretty popular and fairly =

easy.
pj

OVERNIGHT CINNAMON ROLLS

Dough (for two dozen rolls):
2 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 C. warm water
2 C. milk
1/2 C. margarine
1/2 C. sugar
2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
2 large eggs
6 1/2 - 7 1/2 C. flour

Filling:
(for each dozen, I usually mix this separately for each dozen)
4 Tbsp. margarine or butter, softened
1/2 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Caramel:
(for one dozen - make 2 separate batches, 1 for each pan/dozen)
3/4 C. brown sugar
6 Tbsp. margarine or butter
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup (generous)
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. milk or cream

Frosting (enough for 2 dozen):
1 stick margarine, softened
1/2 C. shortening
1 C. granulated sugar
1 - 2 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, warmed (heat in microwave until it=B9s very =

soft)

Dough:
Proof yeast in 1/2 C. warm water (add a bit of sugar to water).
Melt margarine, add milk; warm mixture.
In a large bowl, measure 3 C. flour; add sugar, salt & baking =

powder. Stir a bit. =

Beat eggs into milk mixture, then pour into the dry ingredients; =

stir in proofed yeast. Beat for 2 minutes by hand or at medium =

speed on mixer.
Stir in additional flour, 1 C. at a time, until dough pulls away =

from sides of the bowl.
Turn out and knead on floured surface for about 10 minutes, adding =

as little flour as necessary. Dough should be smooth and silky.
Wash mixing bowl, dry and coat generously with margarine. =

Grease top of dough ball with margarine and put it into the bowl, =

greased side up. Cover lightly. =

Let rise until doubled (1 - 2 hours, depending on room temperature).
When doubled, punch down and divide in half.

Caramel:
Melt margarine in saucepan, stir in corn syrup, cinnamon, brown =

sugar and milk. Heat through. =

Pour into a greased 9 x 13=B2 pan (or use cooking spray, like Pam or =

Mazola).

SHAPING:
Roll out half of dough to form a rectangle 12 - 15 inches wide and =

15 - 20 inches long.
Spread dough with 4 Tbsp. margarine or butter.
Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle evenly over the =

buttered dough.
Starting from longest side, roll up dough jelly roll fashion. =

Using a piece of thread or dental floss, cut roll in half, then cut =

each half in half, then cut each quarter into three pieces - ending =

up with 12 rolls. (To cut, slide floss under dough, bring up and =

then cross ends, quickly pull tight, keeping floss pieces close =

together).
Place each roll cut side down in prepared pan.
Repeat for second half of dough.
Cover each pan and refrigerate overnight. =

Take out, uncover, let sit for about half an hour, then bake at 350 =

degrees F. for 30 - 40 minutes, until deep golden brown.
Cool, then frost with prepared frosting.

Frosting:
Beat first four ingredients together, then beat in warmed cream =

cheese. Beat well.
Chill overnight.
Beat again, then spoon over cooled rolls.
Serve extra on the side.

Wally Spence

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Dianne and Mike wrote:

> I'm having my in-laws over for Brunch on Sunday. I've never done a
> brunch before, so don't have many ideas - I was thinking cinnamon buns,

> quiche and salad. Any comments or ideas?

Try these! The first time I had them was at a VERY fancy hotel in
Florida for... you guessed it! BRUNCH!

Cheese Blintzes

Recipe makes 1 dozen blintzes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk or 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of milk and cold water
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1 - 2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Filling:
1 pound cottage cheese or Ricotta cheese
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3 - 4 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 - 2 tablespoons milk (optional)

Topping:
1 cup sour cream

Sift flour and salt into a bowl; mix eggs, milk and melted butter,
slowly add flour, and beat until smooth. Butter the bottom
and sides of a heavy 6" skillet and heat over moderate high meat until a
drop of water will dance. Using about 2 tablespoons
batter for each blintze, add to skillet and tip back and forth until
bottom is evenly coated. Brown lightly on one side, about 1/2
minute, and turn out, browned side up, on a paper towels to drain. Cook
remaining blintzes the same way. Mix filling
ingredients, adding milk to moisten if needed. Place 11/2 tablespoons of
filling into the center of each blintze, fold bottom up
and sides in over filling, then roll up like a cigar. Brown in remaining
butter over moderate heat and serve with sour cream.

Janet H.

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Dianne and Mike <infusio...@mindlink.bc.ca> writes:

> I'm having my in-laws over for Brunch on Sunday. I've never done a
> brunch before, so don't have many ideas - I was thinking cinnamon buns,
> quiche and salad. Any comments or ideas?

Brunch for me conjures up an abundance of hot breakfast food,
the kind you don't normally let yourself eat. So, for me it'd
be eggs benedict, hot bagels with cream cheese, champagne and
fresh orange juice, blueberry muffins, or maybe instead of
the eggs benedict there might be waffles or-- enormous pancakes
to cover with powdered sugar and strawberries. And toast and
crispy bacon and, just in case there are any gaps left on
that table, some fruit.

The cinammon buns could easily be substituted for the blueberry
muffins, but in my personal mental brunch menu (can you tell
I'm missing American breakfasts?) quiche is more of a lunch-y
type of food. If I wanted to serve a quiche-type meal, I'd
think of it more like a picnic, which means checkered tablecloth,
fruit and cheese, potato salad, cold lunch meats, and a big ol'
chocolate cake.

mmmm....

Janet H.

Jennifer & Howard

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Janet H. <ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote in article
<eu6enf3...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>...

I don't know if that's brunch, but my mouth is watering at the mention of
all those delicious dishes... :)