Delicious Steak and Rice

limey

Jul 18, 2001, 2:16:21 PM7/18/01

I've had this recipe for years (torn out of an unknown magazine) and
have fixed it many, many times. It's quick and easy to fix - and even
easier to eat.

- limey

* Exported from MasterCook *

Simply Elegant Steak and Rice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, 1/2" slices -- separated into rings
1 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms -- drained;reserve liquid
1 10-3/4 ounce condensed mushroom soup
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
3 cups cooked rice

Cut steak into thin strips. In a large skillet (oven-proof if
desired), brown meat in oil, using high heat. Add onions. Sauté
until tender crisp. Blend soup, sherry, liquid from mushrooms, and
garlic salt. Pour over steak. Add mushrooms.

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour or until steak is tender.
(Or cover and bake at 350ºF.)

Serve over beds of fluffy rice.

Source:
"Rice Council of America - 1978"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

--
li...@giveitup.com

Heather

Jul 18, 2001, 11:18:20 PM7/18/01

"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote > Serve over beds >of fluffy rice.

Ever notice recipes saying the meal should be served over rice never simply
say "serve over rice"? They have to guild the lily and make rice sound
sexy and exotic--"beds of rice" "hot cooked rice" "plenty of buttered
rice", "fluffy, fluffy white rice." Poor rice!! It can't stand without
hyperbole. lol

Alan Ladd

Jul 19, 2001, 8:00:48 AM7/19/01
Heather wrote:

>Ever notice recipes saying the meal
>should be served over rice never simply
>say "serve over rice"? They have to guild
>the lily and make rice sound sexy and
>exotic--"beds of rice" "hot cooked rice"
>"plenty of buttered rice", "fluffy, fluffy
>white rice." Poor rice!! It can't stand
>without hyperbole. lol

This is not the case with Filipino recipes. Most of them usually say
"serve WITH rice" not OVER. Where did this get started anyway? Is it an
american practice to serve asian foods over rice instead of on the side?
Most restaurants I have been to (filipino, chinese and thai), the rice
is served on the side. Unless it was a rice bowl entree.....which I
don't believe I've seen served in restaurants only in fast food asian
places.

Actually, in retrospect, Filipino recipes don't even mention serving the
food with rice. It is a given that the food will be served with rice
whether it might be noodles, soup or main entree.

Alan (still savoring his fried eggs, spam and rice breakfast)
..I bet some of you are sickened by this :-)

__
I hate it when people use really big words to convey what they mean. It
just makes them sound quite ostentatious. Pffftttt :-p

limey

Jul 19, 2001, 8:51:05 AM7/19/01

"Heather" <eatm...@chef.org> wrote in message
Right on, Heather! You gave me my laugh for the morning. :-D I
don't think I've ever seen "serve over stodgy rice"!!

- limey

Tina Mongkolsmai

Jul 19, 2001, 1:33:58 PM7/19/01
I would venture to guess several reasons..

Attractiveness of the plate... it makes the topping stand out and keeps the
rice as the neat background... it distributes sauce/topping evenly over the
rice... people like to stack things (like napoleons with various things...
mushrooms, salad bits.. kinda like fancy sandwiches).. both for display and
to get many flavors in a bite...

On the other hand maybe Asian people don't do that because they mostly eat
family style where they have the stuff in the center and rice is already on
the plate. So they are used to having different things with their rice, not
rice and one thing.

Tina

"Alan Ladd" <Sonof...@webtv.net> wrote in message

pfoley

Jul 19, 2001, 9:16:07 PM7/19/01
Sounds good; I'll try it, but without the mushrooms. Thanks.

"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in message

LeeBat

Jul 20, 2001, 5:30:22 AM7/20/01
Alan Ladd wrote:

> It is a given that the food will be served with rice
>whether it might be noodles, soup or main entree.

As the good Lord intended.

>Alan (still savoring his fried eggs, spam and rice breakfast)
>..I bet some of you are sickened by this :-)

Only when slathered with bagoong .......

LeeBat
yet another Pinoy