LOOKING FOR:ALMOND CANDY RECIPE"(ITALIAN)

NINA BYRD

Apr 7, 2003, 11:47:35 PM4/7/03
LOOKING FOR A ALMOND CANDY RECIPE MADE WITH WHOLE ALMONDS,LEMON JUICE,EGG
WHITES,SUGAR.
I KNOW THE INGREDIENTS,BUT NOT THE MEASUREMENTS,ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN
HELP,I AM GRATEFUL.

--
N.B

bbblues

Apr 8, 2003, 1:54:29 PM4/8/03
"NINA BYRD" <nb...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:<rDrka.20459$e8.1...@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...

The closest recipe I have is for Sardinian lemon meringues: 7 egg
whites, 1/4 t salt, 2 c sugar, zest of 1 lemon grated (I suppose you
could use lemon juice), 2 c almonds. Heat oven to 250. Beat whites
till slightly stiff and gradually add sugar and beat to stiff peaks.
Fold in the zest and almonds. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto
parchment lined or oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 45-60 mins, just to
dry out not brown.

The only other I have is for marzipan, but that is with ground
almonds.

HTH. Joanie

Curly Sue

Apr 8, 2003, 7:13:02 PM4/8/03
On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:47:35 GMT, "NINA BYRD" <nb...@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:

It's called torrone. Here's a recipe I found on rec.food.recipes via
a google search. This has the citrus, a lot of the recipes don't.

TORRONE

1 cup, 3 oz. honey
1 cup, 3 oz. sugar
3 egg whites
1 lb. shelled almonds
1 cup shelled hazelnuts, lightly toasted
3 oz. candied orange and citron or 1 1/2 oz. pistachios (optional)
grated peel of 2 lemons
wafer sheets
6 Tbs. water

Cook the honey in a double boiler for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring
constantly. Cook the sugar and water until it reaches the hard-ball
stage. Whip the egg whites till stiffened and fold them into the
honey.
When the mixture becomes a foamy mass, add the cooked sugar and
continue
mixing until the mixture begins to harden. Add the almonds and the
hazelnuts, candied fruit (or pistachios) and grated lemon peel, mixing
thoroughly. Line a mold or a rectangular baking pan with the thin
sheets
of unleavened wafer. Pour in the mixture making an even layer, top
with
another wafer, cover with a wooden board and weight the board down.
Let
stand for half an hour, turn the baking pan over onto a cutting board,
and
divide the torrone in pieces as large as desired and keep at room
temperature. Torrone may keep for a long time if it is wrapped in
oiled
paper or foil
from Cucina Online - www.cucina.italynet.com

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dot net

Sheryl Rosen

Apr 8, 2003, 7:22:58 PM4/8/03
in article 3e9356ca...@news-server.nyc.rr.com, Curly Sue at
s...@addressin.sig wrote on 4/8/03 7:13 PM:

> On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:47:35 GMT, "NINA BYRD" <nb...@rochester.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> LOOKING FOR A ALMOND CANDY RECIPE MADE WITH WHOLE ALMONDS,LEMON JUICE,EGG
>> WHITES,SUGAR.
>> I KNOW THE INGREDIENTS,BUT NOT THE MEASUREMENTS,ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN
>> HELP,I AM GRATEFUL.
>>
>> --
>> N.B
>
> It's called torrone. Here's a recipe I found on rec.food.recipes via
> a google search. This has the citrus, a lot of the recipes don't.
>
> TORRONE
>
> 1 cup, 3 oz. honey
> 1 cup, 3 oz. sugar
> 3 egg whites
> 1 lb. shelled almonds
> 1 cup shelled hazelnuts, lightly toasted
> 3 oz. candied orange and citron or 1 1/2 oz. pistachios (optional)
> grated peel of 2 lemons
> wafer sheets
> 6 Tbs. water

Sue, where does one find "wafer sheets"?
What are they?

Curly Sue

Apr 8, 2003, 7:54:31 PM4/8/03
On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:22:58 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
<catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>in article 3e9356ca...@news-server.nyc.rr.com, Curly Sue at
>s...@addressin.sig wrote on 4/8/03 7:13 PM:
>

>> It's called torrone. Here's a recipe I found on rec.food.recipes via
>> a google search. This has the citrus, a lot of the recipes don't.
>>
>> TORRONE
>>
>> 1 cup, 3 oz. honey
>> 1 cup, 3 oz. sugar
>> 3 egg whites
>> 1 lb. shelled almonds
>> 1 cup shelled hazelnuts, lightly toasted
>> 3 oz. candied orange and citron or 1 1/2 oz. pistachios (optional)
>> grated peel of 2 lemons
>> wafer sheets
>> 6 Tbs. water
>
>Sue, where does one find "wafer sheets"?
>What are they?

It's like edible paper. It dissolves in your mouth. You know how
meringues get sticky when they are exposed to air? The wafer sheets
on the torrone help prevent that.

Where? I don't know, I've never actually made torrone myself.
Possibly an Italian market... Or Zabars? ;>

Here's another site with recipes for both the hard and soft torrone.
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/1199/soft.html

A site with history and a recipe:
http://www.ilgelato.net/numero8/i-storia.htm

PENMART01

Apr 8, 2003, 8:56:32 PM4/8/03
In article <BAB8D196.261B7%catm...@optonline.net>, Sheryl Rosen
<catm...@optonline.net> writes:

Not easy to find in the US... "Ostia"

I posted this torrone recipe a number of times over the years.

Soft Torrone
(Italian Christmas Nougat)

1 cup honey
2 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 pound almonds,
shelled and blanched
1/2 pound hazelnuts,
shelled and lightly toasted
1 teaspoon candied orange peel, minced
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Place the honey in top of double boiler over boiling water for 1 to 1-1/2
hours, until honey is caramelized. Stir the honey frequently. Beat egg whites
until stiff. Slowly add to honey, mixing well. The mixture will be foamy white.
Combine sugar with 2 tablespoons of water in small saucepan and let boil,
without stirring, until caramelized. Add caramelized sugar to honey mixture a
little at a time, mixing well. Cook mixture a little longer until it reaches
the hard ball stage. (A small drop turns hard when placed in a cup of cold
water.) Add nuts, candied orange peel and grated lemon rind. Mix well and
quickly before it hardens.

Immediately pour mixture two inches deep into two or three (depending on size)
loaf pans lined with parchment paper. Let cool 20 minutes. Remove from pans and
cut each slab into rectangular bars. You may make one cut lengthwise down the
center forming two torrone rectangles or slice crosswise to make five or six
smaller torrone bars. Wrap each bar in aluminum foil or waxed paper and store
at room temperature in an airtight container. It keeps for a long time if
wrapped well.

To serve, cut the torrone bar into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thin slices. Serve with
coffee or tea following a holiday meal.

Note:
Traditional torrone is sandwiched between two pieces of ostia or thin sheets of
unleavened wheat bread. Ostia is often called "wafer." I've omitted this
ingredient in the recipe, as it's hard-to-find. The torrone I made was fine
without it. But, if you can find "wafer" or ostia at an Italian market, you may
want to use it. In that case, you would place a sheet of wafer on the bottom of
each loaf pan before pouring torrone mixture. Then top the torrone with another
sheet of wafer.

Recipe adapted from The Talisman Italian Cook Book by Ada Boni. Crown, 1950.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

NINA BYRD

Apr 8, 2003, 10:47:01 PM4/8/03
I APPRECIATE ALL THE RESPONSES,PERTAINING TO MY SEARCH FOR "ALMOND
CANDY",BUT SORRY TO SAY NONE WERE THE RECIPE I AM LOOKING FOR,IT IS EITHER
MARZIPAN,NOR,TORRONE,I KNOW THOSE BOTH,THIS CANDY I NEED TURNS INTO A CLUMP
OF HARD SUGAR,WITH WHOLE ALMONS IN IT.THANKS ANYWAYS
"bbblues" <tsfa...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Sheryl Rosen

Apr 8, 2003, 11:25:49 PM4/8/03
in article 20030408205632...@mb-fd.aol.com, PENMART01 at
penm...@aol.como wrote on 4/8/03 8:56 PM:

Ostia. As in "Host"? As in, communal wafers from the Catholic church?

cristina

Apr 9, 2003, 4:44:44 AM4/9/03

> I APPRECIATE ALL THE RESPONSES,PERTAINING TO MY SEARCH FOR "ALMOND
> CANDY",BUT SORRY TO SAY NONE WERE THE RECIPE I AM LOOKING FOR,IT IS EITHER

**Please turn off your cap key.

Try searching though the list at the link below:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=italian+recipe+almond
+lemon+egg+white+sugar

PENMART01

Apr 9, 2003, 9:48:16 AM4/9/03
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> writes:

>Ostia. As in "Host"? As in, communal wafers from the Catholic church?

I suppose. Don't really know, never recieved any namby-pamby communion... like
a real man I was circumsized instead.

Curly Sue

Apr 9, 2003, 9:50:05 PM4/9/03
On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:25:49 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
<catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>in article 20030408205632...@mb-fd.aol.com, PENMART01 at
>penm...@aol.como wrote on 4/8/03 8:56 PM:

<snip>

>> Note:
>> Traditional torrone is sandwiched between two pieces of ostia or thin sheets
>> of
>> unleavened wheat bread. Ostia is often called "wafer." I've omitted this
>> ingredient in the recipe, as it's hard-to-find. The torrone I made was fine
>> without it. But, if you can find "wafer" or ostia at an Italian market, you
>> may
>> want to use it. In that case, you would place a sheet of wafer on the bottom
>> of
>> each loaf pan before pouring torrone mixture. Then top the torrone with
>> another
>> sheet of wafer.
>>
>> Recipe adapted from The Talisman Italian Cook Book by Ada Boni. Crown, 1950.
>>

>Ostia. As in "Host"? As in, communal wafers from the Catholic church?

I don't know about the word "ostia" per se. The product ostia is
similar to communion wafers in being an unleavened wheat wafer, but it
is much thinner. I found another recipe for torrone that suggested
rice paper as a substitute.

Fil Bernabei

Apr 26, 2003, 11:44:41 PM4/26/03

"NINA BYRD" <nb...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

Nina . . . this might be what you're looking for:

**Exported from Cookbook Wizard Recipe Software**v2.0

Recipe Name: Biscuit Tortoni

Cuisine: Italian
Category: dairy
Preparation: uncooked
Temperature: frozen
Servings: 6

Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped to soft
peaks
3 tbsp. amaretto di Saronna, marsala or sweet sherry
1/2 cup toasted ground almonds
1 egg white, beaten

Instructions:
Add the sugar to the softly beaten cream a little at a time. Beat well to
incorporate sugar. Mix in the amaretto or wine and all but 1 tbsp. of the
almonds. Fold in the beaten egg white.

Using a pastry bag, pipe the cream mixture into biscuit cups or custard
cups. Sprinkle reserved ground almonds on top. Freeze until firm, about 3
hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving to allow to
soften slightly.