What could be pralines in the USA?

philippe raynaud

Mar 1, 2003, 7:38:28 AM3/1/03

In Belgium,the pralines are some chovolates.
In France (my country)the pralines are made of almonds,sugarcane,vanilla and
herbs.
The best can be found in the south of France.
But I saw that my american correspondents were embarassed when I sent to them
recipes with pralines.
The american pralines could be different?
Are they made also of almonds,or nuts or any others components.
A question to discuss.
Philippe raynaud
http://www.lesdelices.com
--
Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr

http://forums.club-internet.fr/

hlk

Mar 1, 2003, 2:30:53 PM3/1/03
On 01 Mar 2003 12:38:28 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, philippe raynaud
<del...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> In Belgium,the pralines are some chovolates.
> In France (my country)the pralines are made of almonds,sugarcane,vanilla and
> herbs.
> The best can be found in the south of France.
> But I saw that my american correspondents were embarassed when I sent to them
> recipes with pralines.
> The american pralines could be different?
> Are they made also of almonds,or nuts or any others components.
> A question to discuss.
> Philippe raynaud
> http://www.lesdelices.com

The American pralines I've had have always been made with pecans, like
the ones below.

From:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/2000/ws_south/pralines.html

Classic Southern Pralines
Makes about 3 dozen pralines

Although the idea of mixing nuts (traditionally almonds) with
caramelized sugar is French in origin, these pralines are Louisiana
ingenuity pure and simple. The earliest recipes called for locally
grown pecans and raw sugar brought into the port of New Orleans from
Cuban cane fields. Avoid making pralines on a humid day. They will not
set up properly.

3 cups (1-1/2 lb/750 g) sugar
3-1/2 cups (14 oz/440 g) pecan halves
1-1/3 cups (11 fl oz/345 ml) buttermilk
6 tablespoons (3 oz/90 g) unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (essence)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)

1. Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper.

2. In a large, heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the sugar, pecan
halves, buttermilk, butter, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally,
until the sugar dissolves completely about 10 minutes. Do not allow
the mixture to boil before the sugar dissolves or it may crystallize
and become grainy. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil,
stirring occasionally but being careful not to scrape any hardened
candy mixture from the sides of the saucepan. Cook to the soft-ball
stage, 236 degrees-239 degrees F (113 degrees-115 degrees C) on a
candy thermometer, about 15 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts
and the baking soda. As soon as you add the baking soda, the mixture
will become lighter in color and foamy in texture. Beat rapidly with a
wooden spoon until the mixture begins to cool, thicken, and lose some
of its shine, 5-7 minutes.

4. Working quickly, drop the candy by heaping tablespoonfuls, using
one spoon to scoop and another to push the mixture onto the prepared
baking sheets. Let stand at room temperature until firm, about 1 hour.
Eat immediately or store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight
container for up to 10 days.

BIGDOG

Mar 2, 2003, 1:57:57 AM3/2/03
Ours are the same, just leave off the little white flag.

"philippe raynaud" <del...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

Frogleg

Mar 2, 2003, 1:52:52 PM3/2/03
On 01 Mar 2003 12:38:28 GMT, philippe raynaud
<del...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

>In Belgium,the pralines are some chovolates.
>In France (my country)the pralines are made of almonds,sugarcane,vanilla and
>herbs.
>The best can be found in the south of France.
>But I saw that my american correspondents were embarassed when I sent to them
>recipes with pralines.
>The american pralines could be different?
>Are they made also of almonds,or nuts or any others components.

"American" pralines are candies associated with a Louisiana ancestery,
which means *pecans*. Big sugary patties with lots of pecans. I'd love
to see a picture of what French pralines look like. I believe I did
online research on the question some time ago, and got an impression
of what we call Jordan almonds -- individual almonds with a sugar
shell (often in pastel colors). I'm having a Senior Moment trying to
remember the term for a sort of nut-brittle (nuts and sugar syrup)
that's often crushed as an addition to deserts and ice creams, but
'praline' pretty much means the pecan candy patties. There *is* a
praline liquor, but with pecan flavoring also.

Curly Sue

Mar 2, 2003, 2:05:31 PM3/2/03
<del...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

>In Belgium,the pralines are some chovolates.
>In France (my country)the pralines are made of almonds,sugarcane,vanilla and
>herbs.
>The best can be found in the south of France.
>But I saw that my american correspondents were embarassed when I sent to them
>recipes with pralines.
>The american pralines could be different?
>Are they made also of almonds,or nuts or any others components.
>A question to discuss.

Here's a site with a photograph of New Orleans pralines:
http://www.auntsallys.com/

They are basically cooked sugar, perhaps some butter, somewhat
crunchy/melt in your mouth, and then lots of pecans.

from http://www.johnny-lin.com/chocolates/aunt_sally/

"Aunt Sally's Original Pralines, with origins in France, are a
traditional New Orleans confection. Early French settlers and their
descendants, called Creoles, used local ingredients to make the
favored French candy. Aunt Sally's Creole pralines are from a family
receip that has been handed down from generation to generation.They
are made by hand with Louisian pecans and ribbon cane sugar and cooked
in a copper pot and hand poured." [Ingredients: pecans, cane sugar,
evaporated milk, butter, margarine, vanilla, corn syrup]

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dot net

Michel Boucher

Mar 2, 2003, 3:48:44 PM3/2/03
Dans un moment de folie, nob...@nevermind.com (Frogleg) écrivit:

> I'd love to see a picture of what French pralines look
> like. I believe I did online research on the question some time
> ago, and got an impression of what we call Jordan almonds --
> individual almonds with a sugar shell (often in pastel colors).

That's correct although I'm not sure how a Jordan almond differs from
what I call an almond. That's what they are in Québec (and as far as I
know, Italy) as well. They are usually brought out at the reception
after a baptism, blue for boys and pink for girls. Sometimes there are
images in the sugar coating.

--

Es la hora de los hornos y no se ha de ver más que la luz.

José Martí

ChaChaLady

Mar 3, 2003, 12:15:25 AM3/3/03
I have made praline from a French recipe, and I have eaten pralines in
Louisiana. I have bought praline-filled chocolates, made in Belgium.
Each of these items is different from the other.

The praline I make is roasted almonds (stirred in a saucepan over low
heat until lightly browned and then spread evenly onto a lightly oiled
tray. Make a toffee by heating sugar until it melts and goes brown,
and then when the bubbles have subsided pour evenly over the almonds.
When the toffee is set, chop praline finely (I crush with a rolling
pin).

This French praline is wonderful as a sprinkle over any suitable
desserts. It keeps for months in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
ChaChaLady